Ovechkin will be game-time decision (updated)

Alex Ovechkin will take the morning skate and is expected to take the pregame warmup tonight at Prudential Center. If all goes well, the two-time MVP and team officials will then decide whether he'll return from a five-game absence and face the Devils.

The Caps are 4-1-0 without Ovechkin, but they could certainly use the boost tonight with Mike Knuble out because of a broken finger.

Perhaps Ovechkin will shed some more light on the subject after the skate. So stay tuned.

Update: At one point during the morning skate, Ovechkin looked up at reporters and yelled playfully, "I'm playing tonight." But he has remained on the ice for some extra skating with the assistant coaches -- an activity usually reserved for players who will be scratches.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 14, 2009; 11:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 3, Wild 1
Next: Ovechkin: 'You never know'

Comments

if they're not sure if he can play right now, better not to play him tonight

Posted by: joek443 | November 14, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I hope Ovie takes him time so he heals up fully. Being at the top of the conference is nice, but does not necessitate a desperate move like bringing the greatest player in the game back early.

Go Caps!

Posted by: crooks_c | November 14, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Agreed with the other two comments-if there is any doubt, sit out tonight Ovie.

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 14, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

man I hope we find out an hour or so before game time, I have a fantasy league to update if he plays lol. I hope he plays, I miss him, Caps games aren't the same without him. hope we win regardless. GO CAPS!

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 14, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I guess i'll jump on this train and also agree that though we could definitly use him tonight i dont think the caps should rush into anything if theres doubt.let him heel 110% so theres no question and he can perform up to his full potential.though he'll give it all hes got anyway but thats what could hurt him and make things worse.caps are doin so far so good w/o him so let it ride and let the big man heel.either way i support the caps and hope all is good.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | November 14, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Re recent comments on Caps' "octopus" -- how about a Superman suit. Mere mortal Russians, Canadians, Swedes, Czechs, Americans, etc., enter the Phone Booth and emerge as SUPERCAPS! Could be a marketing campaign if the Caps continue to win and lead as they head into playoffs -- old fashioned red British style phone booth, enter in street clothes, emerge in hockey gear. Obvious, maybe, but every time I hear "at the Phone Booth," my first thought is not Verizon, but Superman.

Posted by: Steakum | November 14, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I agree too, if in doubt, keep him out.

Hey - the April 9th Caps game is scheduled to be shown on TV on "TCN-DC."

Anybody know what that is?

Posted by: grackle5 | November 14, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Assume Theo is in goal tonight? I hope he has better luck than last time. Looking for a repeat of last night's defensive effort (and performance). We'll need it to get any points off this crew. So far we have one point out of a possible four. Lots of shots at Brodeur through screens please.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 14, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Ovie has quite the sense of humor. Much better for him to heal before coming back too soon and risk re-injury and being out even longer.

Posted by: NovaCath | November 14, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the previous comments:
If Ovie isn't 100 %, he should not play, he has to be able to move without any restrictions - otherwise the risk of re-injury is quite high and the other team knows, where and how to attack Ovie ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 14, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that really wants to win tonight...I hate the Devils...I hope he is well enough to play...I know its one game and losing to the Devils now really doesnt matter...but...

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | November 14, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

No, I hate the Devils too. And the Penguins. . . and the Flyers. . .and the Rangers.
*sigh*, anyone else miss the ole Patrick Division?

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | November 14, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

@OVItrick8

You are definitely not the only one, at least BB is on your side (he always wants to be the number one) ... ;-)

... and from the previous threat:

Concerning statement games ...

Up to date, we have lost each game against the devils and if this continues ... that won't be good at all
... you have to show the other team, that you are able to win against them even in their building ...

... if you have lost each game against a team in the regular season, it is a little bit trickier to win against them in the play offs because the other team has all kinds of psychological advantages ...

GO CAPS!

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 14, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, aside from the Pens I don't really hate any NHL club. Well, maybe the flyers. Nonetheless, donesn't mean I don't want the Caps to win any less tonight. Big game, big results!

Posted by: Sonyask | November 14, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Caps fans. My honey do list was short today so I started think "New Jersey isn't that far." If any of you want to go tonight they have a heck of a deal. They have a ticket plan called "Guys night out" under the "tickets" pulldown on the Devils website. For $40 per you get a seat that is as low as our 200 section, the lower part too, I got row 3. For $70 per you can get what's for the best lower seats in the house. You get a dog and a beer or soda with it too! I already bought them and they are waiting at will call. Got two at the $40 rate and it was $92 after fees. It's a bit of a road trip, 3 1/2 hours each way, but it's the Caps! It has been a long time since I've been able to catch the Caps on the road.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 14, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*, anyone else miss the ole Patrick Division?

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | November 14, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

the Isles... the Pens weren't in the Patrick Div.

the Devils did upset the Caps one year in the playoffs but then again who didn't upset the Caps in the playoffs during those years?

can't say I feel any hatred towards the devils... I can't stand the flyers tho

Posted by: joek443 | November 14, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1:

Have you been to the Prudential Center? It's a fabulous arena and totally dedicated to hockey which is so nice for hockey fans! Make sure you cruise all the concourses - they have some fabulous food stands, not the industrial stuff but from local NJ restaurants. Have a great trip!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | November 14, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1:

Kudos to you! A 7 hour road trip ...
... I hope the game will be worth it, 3 1/2 hours will be much shorter, if the CAPS get away with a win ... ;-)

... and I hope Ovie is 100% and you can watch him play ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 14, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

the pens were in the patrick division, that's why the rivalry has flared back up.

and how a team does against another during the season doesn't really do much for the playoffs. look at the rangers against us last year. We handled them very well during the season, but we had to take it to seven games to beat them. Teams don't get psychological advantages, the cup is all the motivation every team needs.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | November 14, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@Capcrazy77

that's what I meant:
... maybe the CAPS got a little bit too overconfident and took it too easy ... and it was almost too late ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 14, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, fanohock, Pru center may be a great arena, but dedicated to hockey!! C'mon now:

Prudential Center Facts:

The Prudential Center hosts the NHL’s New Jersey Devils, Seton Hall Men’s Basketball, MISL’s New Jersey Ironmen indoor soccer team, concerts, family shows, special events as well as other professional, collegiate and amateur sporting events

Posted by: capitalswashington | November 14, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

my bad, the pens were in the patrick division... the only 6-team division in the 80's

the pens were so bad and hardly made the playoffs in those years even eith Lemieux that I forgot that they were even in the same division as the Caps... LOL

Posted by: joek443 | November 14, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse