Ovechkin Wins Second Straight Hart Trophy

(Mike Blake - Reuters)

For the second straight season, the Capitals' Alex Ovechkin was awarded with the Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's most valuable player.

He's the first player to win back-to-backs since Dominik Hasek in 1997 and 1998, and the first forward since Wayne Gretzky, who won every year straight from 1980 to '87.

"I like playing in Canadian cities, but right now, my favorite city to play in is Washington," Ovechkin said in his acceptance speech. "Next year, I hope [the] Stanley Cup will be ours."

Ovechkin, who finished the season with a league-high 56 goals, easily beat out the Penguins' Evgeni Malkin and the Red Wings' Pavel Datsyuk for the NHL's most prestigious award, winning 115 of 133 first-place votes.

Teammate Mike Green was up for the Norris Trophy for top defenseman, but the honor went to the Bruins' Zdeno Chara, who got 68 first-place votes to Green's 50.

Alex Ovechkin accepts the Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy earlier in the night as Art Ross Trophy winner Evgeni Malkin looks on. (Ethan Miller - Getty Images)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 18, 2009; 9:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Wins Pearson Award
Next: Avs Hire Konowalchuk as Assistant

Comments

YEAH OVI!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: my92agsr | June 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Ovie just clicked his ticket to the HOF and only four years into a career. No player in NHL history who has won 2 Harts or 2 Pearsons has not made it to the HOF (or in Hasek's case will make it).

Congrats Ovie and I expect the Stanley Cup next season, like you promised. :)

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

NHL + MVP = OVIE. Enjoy the Stanley Cup, it will be in D.C. next year. Nuff said.

Posted by: ejohnsto | June 18, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Well hello, Freakin! Fancy meeting you here. Are Fanohock and Sombrero with you?!? :-P

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

hey, I'm here, too!

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Ovie and all the winners. Lots of talented and classy guys on stage tonight.

Overall, an enjoyable presentation EXCEPT for .... Chaka Khan?? WTF was that? I'd have been more entertained if they'd have wheeled-out the remains of Genghis Khan. Completely lame performance.

And now .... come on July 1st !!

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Ovi's win was a rather large "edge" over Malkin and Datsyuk:

Ovi wins the Hart for the second consecutive season. Ovi finished with 115 of a possible 133 first-place votes, and outdistanced Malkin 1,264-787 in the balloting.

Posted by: Ames00 | June 18, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

OVI!!! Congratulations on your success! Looking forward to next season - counting on The Cup being in DC this time next year. When's opening day?? Alex The Great #8!!

Posted by: TerpGrad | June 18, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

tominfl - reports are that Sloan re-signed for something like $620,000, which is less than the $725 (or was it $750K) of our bet. Looks like one beer coming my way!

Posted by: freakinandpeakin

If Sloan had me as his agent, I would have gotten him the $750K. His loss. I'll pay up.

Need to see what kind of deals they signed, whether or not they can be sent to Hershey w/o waivers. If both are one-way deals, that would spell doom for Mo for sure and maybe Jurcina and Schultz too. You already have Green, Poti, Pots, Erskine and Alzner (I guess?) as mainstays. Now you ahve these two. Very happy if Sloan is our #6 or 7 defenseman. He was a UFA, so I thought he'd get more. Collins I bet signed a two-year like Aucoin did last year, where the second year is an NHL contract, so he can go to Hershey. Caps can now play hardball with the three RFA defensemen. I'd be happy to get draft picks for all of them and move on.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Boo- I'm not really sure what that is suppose to mean?

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie:
Yes, but I am not picking on you! :-)

PensFan98/JMU:
Pass on Chaka - let Buble sing! Love the guy ... the fact that he is a hockey fan is just icing on the cake!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Freakin:
Just referring to our exchange from earlier - nevermind!

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Ovie! I hope the cups is ours next year too..

Anyone see this on Vogel's blog?

"Green misses out on the Norris as Boston's Zdeno Chara takes the trophy, continuing Boston's sweep of this year's awards. Although Green collected more points and more first-place votes in the NHL First All-Star Team balloting, Chara edged Green 1034-982 in Norris balloting and by a 68-50 count in first-place votes."

I had a feeling Charra was gonna win. Green will be up there one day.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | June 18, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1 - I believe Sloan's contract is a two way deal, according to a friend who is part of the japersrink writing crew and told me that confirmation came from the team.

IMO, he will continue to be a Hershey call-up, just like Collins.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

tom, Sloan's deal is a two way, as far as I know.

Its quite a pay raise for him, since he made the league minimum on $425,000 last year.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Boo- I wasn't sure if you were drudging up on of those old storylines on here where people posted as fake people. (Isn't that the genesis of the RealOneal?)

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

freakinandpeakin: By the way, if Sloan had waited until July 1st, and fielded offers, I am very confident that one of the other 29 teams would have offered him the $750K as a contract for next year. He must really enjoy the organization to pass on the opportunity to get UFA offers. It's great for the Caps that players are staying with the team as option #1.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I believe Sloan is quite happy to stay in the Caps organization, what with the whole giving him a shot and all the winning and everything.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Boo, are you being serious? That is the third time you I have seen you gloat about this. me, Sombrero, and everyone else also said that he SHOULD win, not that he will win. We watched the Awards to, we are fully aware that Green did not win it. Thank you for pointing out that you were right 3 times.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I got to meet Sloan at the Bears Calder Cup party. Heck of a nice guy. I don't think he stopped smiling all evening. I thought he looked like he lost a bit of weight during the spleen injury, though. I think he's got his work cut out for him this summer to get back into top shape. Glad he's re-signed.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 18, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
First of all, I was not talking to you. :-P Secondly, I was just having a little fun so relax (man you get fired up easily!). Lastly, my point all along was that I did not think he would win - I don't think I ever made an argument about whether or not he should. (Once he tightens up the rest of his game he will though, and I will be the first one to cheer for him!) So yes, I was right, and one of these days you will realize that I always am!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

wait, Sloan had a spleen issue, too?! What the heck is in the water? I thought it was just Lepisto and Laing.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

freakin:
lol! I'm not sure what "drudging up on of those old storylines on here where people posted as fake people" means?!? Do tell! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1 - I actually disagree on your assessment of Sloan's value, whether he was a UFA or not. He was signed by the Caps as a UFA and he got a league minimum. I think he got more money from the Caps than he would have elsewhere, because he has more value to the Caps than he does around the league.

Boo - Did you "call me out" because you thought I was in the Green will/should win the Norris camp? I actually didn't think he deserved it. I just explained why he would win if he did win.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Gad! You're right! It was Laing with the spleen. This awards show addled my brain. So then why did Sloan look skinny to me? Boy needs to put on some muscle.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 18, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

congrats Ovi! you may already be the best DC athlete ever!!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | June 18, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only person really surprised that Sloan would get to UFA status and then sign a two-way deal without testing the market? Last year he got league minimum, but earned minor league money for most of the season. At least I would expect he'd get the full salary next year, regardless where they have him assigned.

These trophies are nice, but I'm with Ovie that I'm more thinking how to win the Cup.

Really great that the whole show went by with nary a mention of Crosby. Maybe Buttman will be upset by this that next year they will start awarding the "Sidney Crosby Trophy," given to the player who has great skill but acts like a total snot. The trophy will be shaped like a spittoon.

Shaka Khan was really bad. Can we not go there next year? And some guys (Jeremy Roenick) need to rehearse. I felt bad for Green except that Chara did a real nice speech (btw, looks like Green was seated next to his mother). Also, Malkin made a nice, emotional speech. Like Datsyuk, he seemed humbled by it all. And Jean Beliveau - 10 times name on Cup as player and 7 more times as a member of Habs' organization? Did I hear that right?

I never liked Messier, but you have to respect him as a player. Something more than you can say about some of today's team captains.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I just want to assure all (all meaning Boo) that I am me and I am not any other poster on this board. :) I have a different name over on the Caps boards, but I don't know how to go about changing the name there to this (which is just the name of a song by my favorite band of all time)

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

tess, I dunno. sometimes its really hard to get a sense of a player's true size because we only ever see them on the ice, in pads. Maybe that's all it was?

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know what the supposed feud between OV and Malkin was about?

I'm guessing it was probably over a girl...

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

joek443,

Yeah, it was apparently over a girl.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

freakin:
Ah! Got it! So yes, I know it is you and actually don't know your name on the other board. I also misunderstood - I thought you were saying Green would get it. My bad and my apologies. (But not to Phil - he is being a pill!! ;-))

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I dvred the awards ceremony and that is why I am 50 minutes behind but I LOVE OVECHKIN! He is the biggest ham and I just eat it up. He is the best ambassador this city has had - ever? And I don't mean just for hockey. I am so ready for hockey season (although how about them Nats, that was kinda fun but I digress). How about three in a row? Lets Go Capitals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | June 18, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I love you Ovi!!!!!

Posted by: washcapsfan | June 18, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I loved seeing the Vladinator again. Now that's real courage. Three of the original Russian Five in the house. Awesome.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | June 18, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1,

Gretzky was the best player of the Oilers no question but the heart and soul of that team was Mark Messier. he was the much more talented version of Dale Hunter. people forget how good a fighter he was before they stopped challenging him. Yes, he stuck around too long like Gordie Howe but if a team has a player like Messier, you know that team will win the Cup.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I can't speak for others, but I'm not that surprised. Sloan's got a good thing going for him here. The Bears and Caps gave him a shot when no one else believed he was better than an ECHL guy. The Bears and Caps are both very successful teams poised to be good for a very long time. And just read this piece Steinberg did, which quotes Tyler's dad extensively (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/05/tyler_sloans_nhl_playoff_debut.html). I bet Tyler and his family feel that the Caps showed him faith and loyalty when no one else did and he feels like he's part of that big Caps family and why leave when things are going quite dandy?

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin Wins .

I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned Crosby.

Posted by: akus2 | June 18, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow.. 2nd straight?! That's Gr8!

Varly is better.

Just kidding.

WTG, Ovie!!!

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 18, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for a great season OVIE!!! Congrats on the hardware...you more than deserve it...let's bring home the Big One next year!!!

Posted by: hilmerdm | June 18, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Nobody knows for a fact what Ovechkin's beef with Malkin was over. Stop believing the hype.

And that was not Larionov's daughter with Malkin tonight as a lot of people over on the Caps message board are saying.

Posted by: tmac2yao | June 18, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Ovie is now up to 8 trophies:

Calder, Art Ross, Pearson (2), Rocket Richard (2) and Hart (2).

I don't know what is the record, has to be Gretzky. He had almost all the Harts and Rosses for ten years, but they didn't have the Rocket Richard until like maybe Pavel Bure got the first one in 94, 95 or so. And I don't know how long they've had the Pearson.

And now it seems like they are diluting by having more and more trophies, like the Scotia Bank award (most deposits w/o an overdraft) and next year maybe the Bridgestone Trophy (best player who can stop on a dime while spraying the goalie) and the aforementioned Crosby Award. Also, Ovechkin alluded to another award, when he said, "Geno English better than Pavel," so now we'll have the Rosetta Stone Award, given to the player who accomplishes the most on and off the ice with the least amount of English.

Pretty soon and it can be like the Oscars and they can then refuse to show up and when they do grace us with their presence they can use the time to promote a social cause. I sure hope it doesn't come to that, but if Buttman ever announces Tim Robbins as emcee - I'm outta there.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Tim Robbins would be a VAST improvement over Jeremy "I don't care if we win the Gold as long as we have a good time trashing our hotel room" Roenick.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Some small victory over Sidney "I don't want them to throw more hats!" Crosby.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | June 18, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

The Great 8...

Congrats!

Posted by: AWWNats | June 18, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie: If that's the story behind Tyler Sloan, then we have a good player and even better person under contract for next season.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Rocket Richard wasn't awarded until the 1998-1999 season!

The Pearson began in 1971.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow, everyone loves Ovie! So glad his ours forever and it was so awesome for him to acknowlege us, the fans and Washington DC! Too bad for Greenie though. ;( He'll win it next year.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

mjwies11 says: (Ovie) "He is the best ambassador this city has had - ever? And I don't mean just for hockey."

Totally agree! Congratulations, Ovechkin! You've brought more excitement to this sport of hockey and Washington's stake in it than I ever thought possible. You're a special guy with outsized talent and a personality to delight in. Yes, Stanley Cup next year! Looking forward to many many terrific hockey games with the Caps next season.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | June 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Anything would be an improvement over tonight. Guys mispronouncing each others names, fan "five" award, chaka can't ... good grief. Although, at least we didn't have another Joe Elliot putting the Cup down upside down!

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, forgot to mention that Ovie is all class too. Mentioned and congratulated both Pavel and Evgeni, who didn't do the same.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 18, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

tom, did you read the story I linked, too? Doesn't reading that put a smile on your face? Tyler's dad and Karl were so proud of him; Steinberg captured it perfectly.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

That was pretty funny when Thomas wouldn't quit talking and asked Manny if he (Manny) wanted him (Thomas) to thank his (Manny's) wife also.

I was expecting Manny to say, when he finally got a chance to talk, "I'd like to start by thanking Timmy's wife."

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

if Tyler Sloan acutally makes the team and gets to play a significant amount of games for the Caps next year, they will be in even bigger trouble than they were last year as far as their defense.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone expects Sloan to make the team out of camp. He's a great AHL guy and a very serviceable injury call up. He's one of those great depth 7-8-9 guys to have in the organization.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed offensive-minded defenseman Alex Goligoski to a three-year, $5.5 million contract.
Goligoski is expected to remain with the NHL team next season.

does this mean they expect to lose Gill and/or Scuderi?

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

they expect to lose at least a couple of people. I assume that $5.5m is over the life of the contract? Because per season, well, that's some pretty elite money.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Gretzky has:

Art Ross 10; Hart 9; Pearson 5; Lady Bing 5; Stanley Cup 4; Conn Smyth 2 = 35.

Beliveau has: 10 Cups, 1 Conn Smyth (not awarded until 64-65), 2 Hart, 1 Art Ross. Not even close.

(Neither one got a Selke that wasn't awarded until 77-78. Beliveau might have won had it been awarded earlier.)

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

figure Gretzky would have won some Rocket Richards, too.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

"the Scotia Bank award (most deposits w/o an overdraft)"- tominfl1

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while!

Posted by: oo7 | June 18, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

wtf Versus... you went 5mins over the scheduled time and I missed this presentation on my recording.

Posted by: rh71 | June 18, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL yeah I'm pretty sure that Gretzky led the league in goal scoring when he scored 92 and 87 goals in a season.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie: I read that article I think when it was first posted. And I disagree with the assessment from that Joe person that the Caps are in trouble if Sloan plays. Caps had a very nice winning percentage with him in there if I recall. He is very serviceable #6-7 defenseman and a good bargain for the low-ball wages he agreed to.

We'll know what he makes soon enough when the NHL Numbers site updates for next year.

When is draft? I am on vacation Mesa Verde Nat'l Park & Monument Valley 24th thru 1st. I try and plan all vacations around hockey, not to miss stuff. Had to get out there before too hot, so maybe I miss the draft. And July 1st is a very exciting day, I will have to play catch up when I get home incl go through mail, cut lawn, etc etc. I am also going back to Grand Canyon one week, last week of Sept so not to miss Opening Night.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie, Richard trophy wasn't around during Gretzky's career...or at least during his heyday. He would have won quite a few of those though.

Boo, The show tonight wasn't great, but it was a million times better than last year's production. I'm sorry, but I find anything produced by the CBC to be a bit hokey...Coach's Corner included.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

figure Gretzky would have won some Rocket Richards, too.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 10:32 PM

Someone posted above - Rocket Richard wasn't awarded until 98-99.

Gretzky would have won about ten times.

This reminds me of my favorite trivia question of all time - which baseball pitcher won the most games in a career w/o ever having won a Cy Young Award?

Naturally - Cy Young, who not only won 511 games but had, get this, like 750 complete games! That'll never be broken, along with Glenn Hull STARTING AND FINISHING as goalie 502 games straight over 7 seasons for the Hawks in the 50s.

Posted by: tominfl1 | June 18, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I like it! Hell yes!

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 18, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

freakin:
True ... it was pretty cheesy. Frankly, I can't believe that Buble was in the house and yet he was not the musical entertainment. Quite a change from last year's music to this year's - not sure which was worse?!?

RE: Ovi, he seemed more comfortable than most up there (me thinks he likes to be the center of attention!). Ya gotta respect the guy for not only acknowledging his "competition" but the Pens for winning the Cup. He's a good egg. And the hot trophy bit? Classic.

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

um, yes, I was the one who posted when the rocket richard was first awarded. So, yeah, pretty well aware that that particular award wasn't around for Gretzky.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Tyler Sloan is a career minor leaguer. I'm sure he's a nice guy but that's all he is. The Caps have Poti, Green, Schultz, Erskine, Pothier and Alzner assuming he's as good as everyone seems to think he is. And I'd like to see them go out and add Scuderi and then I'd rotate Erskine and Pothier as my 7th defenseman.

If they can't afford Scuderi and want someone cheap, you want that D to be a banger, a real physical type. I haven't seen a lot of Sloan but I don't think he's that type of a player.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

At the minimum, the Pens will lose Sykora. Okay, he's basically a spare part. But can they keep Scuderi and Gill? I assume Guerin's a goner (or am I totally off as to how much longer his contract is?)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Different rules in the regular season but it's the period of time he clearly dominated. He's who they come to see .. no matter the city. And he doesn't disappoint. Wasn't too shabby in the offseason either.

Our dumb luck. Enjoy the hardware Alex and let's hope you're the prophet too.

Posted by: tslats | June 18, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 and @RedBirdie,

Agree that Sloan is a servicable defensemen for the Caps. He's one of the year's more inspirational story. Can certainly handle the 3rd pairing.

BTW, joek443 is one of the most negative posters on this board.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 18, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

@tslats

Unfortunately, it's true that the playoffs have different rules. And it's not only because the quality of the opposition is better since the bad teams are gone.

Seems the officials pack away the whistles for the playoffs and rarely call penalties. Hence, the teams that are physical; i.e. the ones with the skilled goons, like Kunitz and Orpik, are the ones that get ahead in playoff hockey. (Of course, goons with no skill are not really needed in playoff hockey.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 18, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

worst show production ever, I mean ever...congrats to OV by the way

Posted by: Andoy | June 18, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75,

I may be negative but i'm not so pathetic as to blame the officials for the shortcomings of the Caps.

That's what seperates hockey from all the other stick and ball sports. it's not always the most talented team that wins the Cup. yes, you have to have skilled players but you need more than them to win the Cup. You NEED tough players like Orpik, Scuderi and Kunitz to win the Cup. It has always been that way and most of us true hockey fans don't want that to change.

If it did, you might as well just watch basketball.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Ovie: congrats, you are my favorite Caps player, bu could you get a tooth and a decent haircut?

Posted by: johnbear1 | June 18, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Awww, lay off the hair. He's had much better hair cuts this year compared to previous ones. At least it's not the straight cut sheepdog mop he sported before. Besides, he could be waiting for the red to grow out.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@johnbear1

I think Ovi's first order of business after he retires from hockey will be to get implants for any missing teeth.

The hair's okay (even if long).

It's ironic. In the 2007-2008, Ovi had long hair for most of the regular season but shorter hair at the NHL Awards ceremony. This year, it was the opposite. He started off with long hair, then had his hair cut short in November and had it cut again in late March. Now it's grown out for the Awards Ceremony.

Somehow, Ovi is handsome in a scruffy sort of way. Oddly appealing to my female eye.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 18, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

So is it just me ? Doesn't OV look way more like your prototypical Pittsburgh Pro Athlete than pretty boys Cindy and Malkin?

Posted by: red4ever2 | June 18, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Ovi got a fake tooth when he first lost his tooth - he does not like to wear. Clearly that gap is a badge of honor for him. Apparently his dentist has given him grief about it (because his teeth are moving) but he does not give a hoot. That's our Ovi!

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Piitsburgh pretty boys? Those two are a pair of the fugliest guys in hockey.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 18, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

The lack of his front tooth adds even more character to his quirky but not unattractive face. However, if he does have a tooth insert as Boo mentions, then I wish he would wear it during his downtime to prevent shifting.

(Try to be good to your mouth, Ovie.)

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

ovie reportedly wears a spacer to sleep so his teeth don't shift. can't remember where I read that, though.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

pstenigma:
Are you a dentist? :-) I agree - it "fits" Ovi to have that gappy grin. It's just one of those things that makes him him.

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Mesa Verde NP. Sweet! Non-hockey note: our National Parks are underrated. Every American should visit as many as possible. I'm up to 17 and have a lifelong plan to see them all. Way to go, tominfl1.

OK, back to hockey...

Posted by: CAP-lanta | June 18, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Nah, I'm not a dentist. My dentist tells me to go away because I take such good care of my teeth. No wonder those are the only dr appointments I like making.

A spacer while sleeping, I hope that's true.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

pstenigma:
For some reason I am so amused that you are so concerned about Ovi's teeth shifting! :-) It's no wonder you take such good care of your teeth. Sounds like you missed your calling!

Caps still rumored to get the WC and a second venue in the works (?!?):

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 19, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

if Calgary is hosting, there is only one logical choice: Edmonton.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 19, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else see the shot from Puck Daddy at Mike Green??

"Mike Green sporting the (spare tire) bow tie was a nice fashion touch."

DId anyone notice any extra weight on Greeny?

Posted by: hardyboys0 | June 19, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see us re-sign Juicy.

Posted by: wis193 | June 19, 2009 5:14 AM | Report abuse

@hardyboys0, it seems that both Green and Ovie have put on some belly.

Posted by: wis193 | June 19, 2009 5:16 AM | Report abuse

"Gretzky would have won about ten times."

Make that 5 times Gretzky led the league in goals.

Posted by: ouvan59 | June 19, 2009 6:21 AM | Report abuse

@hardyboys
puck daddy always seems snide and smug to me, like he's in on the joke that no one else is smart enough to figure out. it's like he's talking down to everyone else, including the players. don't like him as a person or a journalist.

i'd like to see 98 lbs. of puck daddy tell mike in person that he looks tubby. then i'd like to see mike pound him :)

Posted by: spinner-33 | June 19, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

OVI! OVI! OVI!

Totally Rocking the Red today!!!

Posted by: malujoker | June 19, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it great that #87 is not a 1st Team All-Star or 2nd Team All-Star? How is Gary spinning this?

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 19, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Start again from 0.

Posted by: Section117 | June 19, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Ovie - maybe now he can buy a bridge for that goofy gap in his teeth. Good luck in retrieving the Cup too Ovie. Leaders win Cups, not showmen. Just ask Malkin.

Posted by: grant44 | June 19, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Oveckin??? How bout that Chaka Khan! The NHL definitely knows how to get the party started. What else would a bunch of battered and bruised warriors want to listen to? (Michael Buble was there for heavens sake!)

Posted by: cappies | June 19, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

117:
Are you going to Kettler at all this summer?

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 19, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

What brand of watch is Ovie wearing? Tarik, can you get the fashion scoop? Also, when will next season's schedule be announced?

Thanks!

Posted by: putthebiscuitinthebasket | June 19, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I would of paid $1000 to see Ovie check Malkin out of the podium during his attempt at a speech during the joint trophy presentation.

I will give Malkin credit for trying to speak in public..thats how you get better..thats more then you can say for Semin.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 19, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

CONGRATS TO OVI!!! HE DESERVES EVERYTHING HE GETS.HE IS A HOCKEY GOD AND I BOW TO YOU OL' OVI ONE! KEEP ON KEEPIN ON.and for everyone that comes on here to cause drama and not blog about the subject,go cry to ur momma,and not on here.N get a life.GO OVI! GO CAPS!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | June 19, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

putthebiscuitinthebasket:
I received something from the Caps the other day that said the schedule is coming out in late July.

Posted by: Boo- | June 19, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm impressed with Green's vote tally. Closer than I expected. Did he beat out Lidstrom?

And if Ovi ever starts winning the Lady Byng trophy, I think we can officially drop him as our favorite player.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | June 19, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Boo-

Posted by: putthebiscuitinthebasket | June 19, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing like a vacation with home cooking to put some jiggle in the middle.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 19, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Why does the Lady Byng trophy sound like something Crosby would win? It's like the Miss Congeniality award at a beauty pageant.

I'm baffled that anyone would be so lame to make note of whatever weight gains our guys may have put on. They have only what...two months maybe before they go back to the regular grind of being in shape for 8 months of hockey? I say, live it up, guys. They deserve it for the hard work they put in the rest of the year.

Congrats, Ovi. Good job, Greenie. Your time will come. =)

P.S. Nice dress, Crosby. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 19, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

@grant44: And what, pray tell, have you accomplished in your silly life for you to be making such comments about our guy, Ovechkin? I highly doubt any girl would choose you over Ovi, with or without the gap between his teeth so shut it!

As for your Cup comment, it's just a matter of time. Do visit us when we do win, so you can properly take the nutpunching you rightfully deserve. And for your pleasure, we'll get Crosby to do it for you.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 19, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Crosby will never win the Lady Bing. It is for the most respected, professional and sportsmanlike player in the league. He's out of the running.

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 19, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I read on ESPN Insider yesterday that EJ Hradek thinks the Caps should sign Nik Antropov as our 2nd line center and that the young D men in the minors will step up to fill the blueline help we need. Thoughts?

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 19, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

117:
Are you going to Kettler at all this summer?

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 19, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Probably. We're on the fence for the summer KCI skate Thursday, and I dunno how much work I can miss if D-Camp is when I hear it is (Mrs. 117 and I are going to OBX the following week).

You?

Posted by: Section117 | June 19, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Crosby will never win the Lady Bing. It is for the most respected, professional and sportsmanlike player in the league."

Perhaps. But Sid's name will forever be on a trophy much more important than the trinkets handed out last night. Individual awards are nice ... but in team sports, they are small potatoes.

And who in the hell signed Chaka Khan as awards night entertainment. That was awful.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 19, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Antropov would be a nice addition. i think the Caps should be looking at Babchuk and Seidenberg from the Canes. One of those guys would be good on the blueline.

as for earlier discussion regarding Sloan v. Juice: i take Juice over Sloan any day. I think this coming season we are going to see Juice stepping up his game in a much more consistent manner. i think we saw flashes of just how much he can put the smack down late in the season.

Posted by: doughless | June 19, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

PensFan:

thanks for making a point that some donkies that post here were recently giving me grief about. where is Rocc00???

i got criticized and called gloomy because I dared say that the MVP chants at the Phone Booth during game 7 (this year and last) bugged me. MVP is great, but the Cup is what everyone should be shouting about. i stated that i get tired of talking trash at home games only to have the ultimate trump card laid down - the old "where is the Caps Stanley Cup." you post is confirmation of what I was given grief about. thanks, PensFan!!!

Posted by: doughless | June 19, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

doughless ... just to be clear, I am not "trashing" last nights awards in the least. Just putting them into context.

The big prize is the Stanley Cup (and the Super Bowl and the World Series and the NBA Championship, etc, etc).

Ultimately, that's what team sports are all about. Titles. Everything else is just fluff.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 19, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Pens:

exactly.

Posted by: doughless | June 19, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@doughless: I'm not sure if anyone was giving you grief about the plain and simple fact that the Stanley Cup is the main goal for the Capitals and every other team in the NHL.

People were giving you grief because despite our attempts to be grateful for the year we did have and the other accolades given to our team and players, regardless of how piddly you and probably PensFan98 view them, they're still well-deserved awards and ones we should all be proud of. Belittling Green and Ovi's accomplishments because the Capitals didn't win the Cup is just obnoxious and reaks of being an a$$hat.

Most of us are appreciating what the Capitals did accomplish, not sitting like a bunch of trolls bummed about what we didn't.

It's been said before that sometimes the best team doesn't win the Cup. This year definitely proved that one. Chill out, dude. You have every right to feel the way you feel but don't think you have the authority to tell people they're wrong to celebrate what they want to celebrate and when to celebrate.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 19, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Pensfan:

You are right. Crosby's name is on the Cup. We in DC can only dream and hope, at this point, that our guys will be able to say that someday. But let's not forget that there are many a Hall of Famer as well as great players who never won a Cup, which in the end didn't diminish there achievments and there greatness. These awards aren't the Stanley Cup, but they are important to player and Fan alike.

And I hate to throw emotion into this conversation once again, but you Pens Fans have bragged about and lobbied for your award winning players before you won the Cup. Don't conveniently forget that know that you're Champions. I know winning the Cup is the ultimate hockey accomplishment, but let's not forget what you have saying all along: that you want your players to be the best and be rewarded for it.

This is just another example of the double standard you Pittsburgh fans cling to relentlessly. You throw out your trump card whenever you feel like it, regardless if it contradicts what you may have said a few short weeks ago. And on a Capitals Message board! That really pisses me off. Who invited you to this awards party anyway? Don't you have a Stanley Cup celebration to comment on somewhere in "Irrelevant Town" PA?

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 19, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"Personal stats is good. Personal award is good. I just want to win one award, and that's the Stanley Cup." - Alex Ovechkin

Posted by: Section117 | June 19, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"This is just another example of the double standard you Pittsburgh fans cling to relentlessly."

Generalize much?? Sheeeesh! ;-)

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 19, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

i am not belittling anything. as Ovie says, awrds are great, but its all about the Cup. go ahead, argue with PensFan about how much a putz Crysby is, and argue that Ovie is the greatest. what do you think PensFan is gonna lay down??

Posted by: doughless | June 19, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

yell about awards at the game all you want, but what is the dipstick Rangers fan you are yelling at gonna say??

Posted by: doughless | June 19, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I just think back to all the MVP chants in Melon for Geno. What a bunch of idiots...You knew your boy was gonna get wiped in the voting yet you still chanted MVP.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 19, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

That would be the year after Bondra led the league with 52 goals.

(He also led the league in goals with 34 in the strike-shortened 94-95 season).

-----

Rocket Richard wasn't awarded until the 1998-1999 season!

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 19, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't plan on arguing with PensFan because like most Pens' fans, he'll praise Crosby for nutpunching guys and pulling sweaters over players' heads at the start of a faceoff. For them, that passes as hockey skills. I expect that from those kind of people.

I can't blame him though. He thinks his team is the best. I think the Capitals are the best, with or without the Cup.

For the record, I don't think anyone is yelling at the games, "Yeah, well, he's won back to back Hart trophies!" They're too busy watching the game. Hang in there, doughless, the Capitals will get the Stanley Cup in our lifetime. Patience.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 19, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

lol @ lefty. You have all the insight of a bowling ball.

Obviously, all web boards have idiots on them, and our Pens board is no exception. I see you're handling that duty with skillful precision here on the Caps board.

Drone on, my friend.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 19, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Hang in there, doughless, the Capitals will get the Stanley Cup in our lifetime."

On that, we can agree! ;-)

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 19, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SA-Town | June 19, 2009 11:42 AM

MVP of the playoffs, The Conn Smythe Trophy, which Geno got after winning the Stanley Cup.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | June 19, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Actually...You guys were yelling MVP when you were sitting in 10th place and Mario was taking phone calls to sell the team.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 19, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

/ /|,,,,,|\ \
/_// /^\ \\_\
WW( ( ) )WW
__\,,\ /,,/__
eed me (______Y______)

Posted by: thiazzi | June 19, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to suggest that anybody but Ovechkin would win the regular season MVP award. Where would the Caps be without him?

Having Geno and Sid on the same team almost negates each others' votes. When Sid was out, Geno stepped up. But neither had to single-handedly carry his team like Ovechkin did. And look at how well the Red Wings played in the playoffs without Datsyuk.

As has been pointed out, hockey is a team sport, and the importance of fourth-line players and role players was evident throughout the Stanley Cup finals.

It is what it is: a nice piece of hardware for Ovechkin's trophy case.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

What means more is that Ovie has the ability to take the Pens to 7 games on his own back.

The word in Pittsburgh is that the cup runs through DC once a supporting cast shows up.

Pittsburgh's grinders and role players were awesome this playoffs. If the Caps can get that next year..it's over.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 19, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

If you switched Malkin to the Caps, and Ovechkin to the Pens...the Pens beat the Caps in 5.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 19, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think the Hart Trophy looks like an artichoke?

Posted by: pstenigma | June 19, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: red4ever2 | June 18, 2009 11:25 PM"

Malkin?????????? Pretty boy???????

Posted by: SombreroGuy | June 19, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Awww, come on, Sombrero, cut Shrek some slack. He's trying.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 19, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy, more like Malkin Frankenberry.

Anyway, for all those Pens fans, I have a hard time believing you don't think the Hart and Pearson are significant awards. I'm just imagining the response if Malkin had won both and whether you would be on a Caps message board talking smack about it. Considering you are on a Caps message board talking smack after he lost both...well, I think I have my answer.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 19, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The Hart runs through DC.

Pittsburgh doesnt even care about Heart until the last 1/4 of the season.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 19, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

This has probably been posted before, but the next stop for Ovie is the MuchMusic Video Awards in Toronto this Sunday.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

POTUS called Blysma to congratulate him on the SC win and invited the team to the White House this fall. Thoughts?

Posted by: RITdude | June 19, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The Hart runs through DC.
Pittsburgh doesnt even care about Heart until the last 1/4 of the season.
Posted by: SA-Town | June 19, 2009
---

Pittsburgh doesn't even care about the Hart.

Fixed.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | June 19, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the rewards, I can't say there's much to complain about. Personally, I think Zed was a better Matterston choice, but as to the other awards, no complaints. Yes, I would have liked to see Green win, especially since he got screwed out of the All-star game and he never really gets the credit that seems due. But, Chara was a stood and better defensively than Greenie. In a good race, sometimes your horse loses.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | June 19, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

RITdude - Doing his POTUS-ly duty. Do you think any Pen will pull the same stunt James Harrison from the Steelers did?

Posted by: superpaqman | June 19, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Why no updates? Is it because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 19, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@PensFan98: It's nice having you on here. It reminds me that life could be so much worse. I could be you, for instance. Please, do go on and sing your praises of Crosby. I'll try not to laugh too loud and offend you. But I guess I already have.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

pstenigma:
Why yes, yes it does!

Sombrero/JMU/Freakin:
So what exactly are you trying to say about Malkin's appearance? ;-)

117:
I doubt I will hit camp although I have before. I'd like to go to the rookie game (assuming there is one?). I thought the STH skate was a nice touch but I won't be making that (speaking of, I was surprised by how limited it was, especially given the # of STH that there are now). It's just such a haul ... by the time the season ends I am so tired of hiking down to DC that the thought of even going to Kettler is daunting. :-/ I guess I need the off-season, too! Too bad it is not closer - I would definitely pop in more.

Posted by: Boo- | June 19, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing United doesn't play with the same frequency, something would have to give.

Posted by: Section117 | June 19, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

First, congrats to OV on winning the Hart. He was both gracious and funny at the podium as well. I wanted Malkin to win of course, but one can't have everything.

Second,
"Isn't it great that #87 is not a 1st Team All-Star or 2nd Team All-Star? ...."

To this I'd say, see previous articles on 2009 Stanley Cup winners.
#87 is likely doing just fine these days.

See you all at the Verizon Center next season for some wonderful match-ups. We'll be sure to come with our Cup patches on!

Posted by: LEM66 | June 19, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@LEM66: My interpretation of what you just posted:

"nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah."

Did I get that right?

Very mature there. Recess is over. Back to your multiplication tables there, little fella'.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@leftcoast

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of your very mature response. I was merely commenting on a previous post, are you following yet?

FWIW, I saw the first two cup wins in college, so you do the math...it's been quite sometime since recess.

Posted by: LEM66 | June 19, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

LEM66 - where in DC do you live?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 19, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Also, you'll also note that I first congratulated OV. I see him locally (yes, here in DC) at many games during the year.

Posted by: LEM66 | June 19, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"I love Pittsburgh, I love Pittsburgh, I love Pittsburgh, I love Pittsburgh."

Yea, I left Pittsburgh years ago to move to DC.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 19, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I do. But spouse and family are here, so what can I say. (Caps fans and season ticket holder you may be happy to know).

Posted by: LEM66 | June 19, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Ovie!

The suit is way too good: he's already thoroughly disqualified himself for a future in a front office job. He's gotta get one of those loud tartan plaid sport jackets with matching Target slacks to have a chance...

And why not Feds as an assistant coach. No disrespect to Kono, but who would know more about the game? About handling Russian women?

Posted by: WritingLight | June 19, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Generalize much?? Sheeeesh! ;-)

No, I have met many Penguin fans in my day and you all are the same. Haha!

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 19, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@LEM66: It's not lost to us that your Penguins won the Stanley Cup. Still doesn't give you the right to dismiss the fact that for what it's worth, it doesn't change that Crosby is a tool. Let's be honest, if any player not on the Penguins was able to say what they really felt about them, I highly doubt you'll get the resounding confirmation of Crosby's "hockey skills".

Your original post referring us to all articles on the 2009 Stanley Cup winners regarding the state of Crosby was in itself immature. Thought about that one yourself, eh?

You'll ignore the fact a majority of the people who post here aren't quick to sing Crosby's praises. For you to dismiss that and pretend that we need to be reminded that Crosby is akin to what you and your kind would probably consider the second coming, spare us.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 19, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Crosby didn't show up for the awards show apparently. He really is a female cat. Highly overrated and a real diva.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 19, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 19, 2009 6:43 PM
---

Why would he? He was not up for any awards and not a presenter. If he had gone, you'd be complaining about him trying to take the spotlight from OV. Dude can't win either way.

And overrated? Most goals in the playoffs and captain of the Stanley Cup-winning team? What more did you want him to do?

Be proud of what OV and the Caps have accomplished. You don't need to make the other players look bad in hopes it improves the perception of the Caps.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | June 19, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Dalliquippa, I thought he was up for the Mark Messier leadership award? Anyway, I agree that let's just be happy for what the Caps have accomplished both individually and as a team and hope that things get ever better next year. But since you've a Pens fan, have you checked out the Pens board--it's the same with Ovi and Pens fans, maybe even worse 'cause you'd think the Pens would be all happy winning the Cup and yet they're still bad-mouthing Ovi for winning the Hart.

Posted by: dfe1 | June 19, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@capsfansince74. Bethesda.

@leftcoast. See 8:06 response above. Why spend so much effort knocking Crosby instead of building up your own guy(s) --playoff series aside, Green had a great season. Crosby has accomplished a lot. So has Ov. Each has very loyal fans, and yes, detractors. This is an article about Ov's award, yet [some] caps fans just can't seem to build Ov up without trashing Sid. Again, as noted above, I wished my congrats for Ov's prize, although I had hoped for a Malkin win.

I guess we can all agree to disagree on about everything other than the musical *talent* last night.

Gotta run and watch the Open

Posted by: LEM66 | June 19, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

To all Pens fans posting here:

Why are you here? We aren't on your message boards dissing your players. We are our message board dissing your players. What you are doing is called rubbing it in. Which, the last I heard was a form of bad sportsmanship. That would explain why you defend a DB like Crosby who doesn't understand sportsmanship.

Perhaps the real reason you are here is out of fear. The Caps played you guys pretty well for 6 games in Rd 2 and you realize that the Caps will probably only get better in the future, making it harder for your beloved Pens to repeat as champs. And believe me, it will be much harder.

But to come here and tell us to stop talking bad about your cry-baby Captain is only inviting a confrontation. After careful analysis of the preceding posts, you got it! Lots of confrontation! I am a bit befuddled why you would come here and stir the pot, only to complain about the response you get. But like I have pointed out before, it is Pittsburgh's M-O to do that kind of crap and then act like the helpless victim.

Your team won the Stanley Cup. Congrads. You deserve it. Now go celebrate with someone who cares. Us Capitals fans are going to celebrate the best player to ever don the Red White and Blue and the awards he just won.

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 19, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

LEM66,

I couldn't agree with you more. This place and even more so on the fan "discussion" boards on the Caps official website is run by a bunch of jealous Pens haters. I sometimes think that their hatred for the Pens and Crosby is greater than their love for the Caps.

Why they think they have to knock a player from another team to build up their own, I have no idea. I guess some people have nothing else going on in their lives that they just have to tear down another person to feel good about themselves and they just have to live their sorry lives vicariously thru this team.

They take they way too serioutly. Maybe they have seen the Caps lose to the Pens so many times now that they have lost touch with the reality and just can't think straight.

Posted by: joek443 | June 19, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey joek443:

Its people like you that get on our message boards and complain about how we hate your team that really upsets me. Do you expect us to sing praises of a rival, especially the Pens? Go read your own message boards and you will see all the disparaging remarks your fellow Pens fans make about our team. THAT'S WHAT OPPOSING FANS DO! What rock did you just crawl out from under?

If you don't like it here than why keep coming back and posting? Why not go elsewhere, like where your Pens fans hangout. I recognize your championship, but a Cup doesn't change the integrity of your fans and players. It just makes you Champion Dbs.

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 19, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan,

your name really suits you, you really are out in the left field. I've been a Caps fan for 25 years and I don't feel too good about myself that you and I cheer for the same team.

you need to get this straight. the Pens are NOT our enemy, they're just an opponent. Do you know the difference??

I love Rod Langway, Scott Stevens, Bengt Gustafsson (my all time favorite player), Mike Ridley, Kelly Miller, Dino Ciccarelli, Bobby Gould, Doug Jarvis, Don Beaupre and I could go on and on... but if you ask me who's the bese I've seen play and I will tell you it is Mario Lemieux without hesitation. I'm a fan of hockey as well as a fan of the Caps. I can recognize the greatness of a player even if he doesn't wear the Caps jersey.

Posted by: joek443 | June 19, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

hey jmurray019,

READ MY LIPS. I'm more of a Caps fan than you will ever be.

and this is NOT your board, got it?

Posted by: joek443 | June 19, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey jmurray, I've been posting on washpost.com for about 10 years. How long have you been here?

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 20, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

joek443, are you Huntz on the Caps message board? Anyway, yes, there are Caps fans that jump on Crosby but if you're such a big Caps fan, why don't you call out the Pens fans who ALSO jump on Ovi. It's not like it's just one way. You'd think the Pens would just be happy winning the cup, but check out their boards and it's Thanks God Crosby/Malkin won the Cup before Ovi, or Ovi doesn't deserve the Hart because he takes runs at Malkin, or Ovi is now called Monkey, or Ovi never plays defense, or Ovi is all about himself, or the one I really laugh at--Ovi takes too many shots and Crosby/Malkin could have more goals if they took as many shots--which just goes to show that the people who say that have never played hockey in their life.

Posted by: dfe1 | June 20, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

joek443:

You're a Caps fan?! I didn't get that from the things you have been posting. I've been a Caps Fan for the last 33 years, since I went to my first game back in the late 70's when I was 3. Don't tell me you're a bigger fan. You have no way to prove that. That's a bit childish as well. Do you think your dad could beat up my dad, too?

You think Lemeuix was the best ever? Thats' your opinion. I would say Mark Messier was the best ever. Like you, I can respect a player for his greatness regardless of the sweater wore.

I offered my congratulations to the Pens on previous posts. Go look them up. I also said Crosby has great skills, but judging by some of his actions, I felt he was unprofessional. Again, that's my opinion and I am entitled to it. That's what this message board is for. And I will say what I want when I want regardless of whether or not you like it. This board is for Caps fans. I said it was "our board". Which it is.

Finally, hey Jumpy66:

I've been reading the post all my life, since i've lived here for 36 years. Started with the funny papers when I was little. Started reading the post on-line in 2000 when I made the switch from home delivery. I have visited the message boards quite often, but only posted infrequently. Thanks to all you Pens fans who have given me so much to comment on.

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 20, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

jmurra019,I'm pretty sure that this joek fella was on the Caps message boards about a month ago basically saying all he's saying now, that he's a Caps fan but he would only talk positive about the Pens and scream at the Caps fans for posting anything negative about the Pens. Then when we'd question him about really being a Caps fan, he'd make post after post questioning us on Caps trivia and bragging about how he'd seen all of these games personally at the Cap Centre, etc. I think he's really a Pens fan but probably grew up in this area and maybe also likes the Caps but the Pens are first in his priority. Anyway, I believe he got banned from the board, so that's a relief.

I still laugh at all of these Pens that are all upset over anything bad a Caps fan will say about Crosby and yet they're 10 times worse about Ovi. Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by: dfe1 | June 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

@joek443: What I don't get is how you could be a Capitals fan and then treat other fans the way Crosby treats another player's family jewels: just wailing at 'em like they're a punching bag? Here's my thing, I've read a lot of commentary from other fans who've had as many years as a Capitals fans as you have but none have been as self-absorbed and condescending as you.

Sadly, I'd hate to be you in 25 years, copping an attitude with a new fan, such as what you're doing to me. I don't care to trade whatever stats you've memorized over the years. Let's be honest, in addition to all those stats, you've accumulated a whole lot of bitterness. I've had more than my share of what Crosby is capable of doing and let's be honest, there ain't a whole lot.

Also, don't characterize my passion for the Capitals and the well-deserved loathing of the Penguins for not having much of a life that I would see them as the "enemy" versus an opponent. An opponent, I can have respect for. The Penguins, I can't have any respect for. Do enlighten me, though. For every stupid act Crosby had this Playoff season, from complaining about the hats on the ice to not shaking the hands of his opponents, give me something where Crosby shows a little bit of decency? Please, do, 'cause so far, I've got nothin'. The Capitals fans who've been here as long as you, if not longer, haven't given any examples of Crosby being anything more than a d*ck, on and off the ice.

So whatever Cup he wins, whatever accolades he receives from self-righteous a$$hats like yourself, will forever be overshadowed by his poor sportsmanship and his self-centeredness. So spare me the lecture, old man. I have better things to do than waste time with an old man trying to remain relevant in this day and age.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 21, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Okay, now I think we need to move on. I admit (and apologize) for the remarks (accurate, but unnecessary) I made that got some of you misplaced Pens fans riled up. We all are entitled to voice our opinion. Can't we all agree that we are hockey fans? That's what it boils down to, right?

Posted by: jmurray019 | June 21, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

OV - R - 8 - ted....

Looks like Ovechkin is REALLY loyal to all of you Caps fans...sounds like when he has the chance, he'll be looking at DC in the review mirror of his car (which of course will be loaded down with all the cash you threw at him to play here) and on his way to Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, or Vancouver…whoever wants to pay him the most.

Yeah…he’s good…but don’t you REALLY want someone who wants to be here…loyal to his fans (the ones that support him) and the city he represents? Not some carpet bagging Russian sucking off the teat of DC until the milk runs dry.

By the way...I'm a Pens fan tried and true...see yinz next season!

Posted by: travlinsam | June 23, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse