Ovechkin Wins Pearson Award

Caps winger Alex Ovechkin just won the Lester B. Pearson Award, awarded to the NHL's most outstanding player as voted by his peers.

"Whoa, I'm nervous again," Ovechkin began, drawing laughs from the crowd at the Palms Casino Resort. "First, I wanna say congrats to the Penguins for winning the Stanley Cup."

He went on to praise fellow Russian (and fellow Pearson and Hart nominee) Evgeni Malkin, and thanked the Caps organization, his teammates and Coach Bruce Boudreau.

In addition to winning the Pearson, Ovechkin was also voted a First Team All-Star for the fourth consecutive season. Mike Green joined him on the first team, giving the Capitals multiple players on the first team for the first time.

Ovechkin is the second player in league history to earn first team honors in each of his first four seasons and the first since Canadiens Hall of Famer Bill Durnan was named from 1944-47.

"I'm happy to be here," Ovechkin said after accepting the Pearson. "What a life. Thank you."

Check back for updates on the Norris and Hart Trophies, as well as a wrap-up later tonight.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 18, 2009; 7:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Re-Sign Collins, Sloan
Next: Ovechkin Wins Second Straight Hart Trophy

Comments

Great job Ovie, could pick any of those 3 this year and it would be a good choice. I like the fact he is congratulatory of the Pens. It's a good example for the Caps to see what is possible. Sounds like him and Malkin are back to getting along although none of us will ever know what they are doing with their little jokes on each other hahaha.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | June 18, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

wow this is painful

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Funny, Ovie told a Las Vegas paper that he doesn't talk to Malkin.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to the awards on sat radio. Dear god, someone tell Chaka Khan to retire. Back in the day she was great but listening to her is painful. I guess she is singing in front of a montage of fans?

Posted by: pirate1 | June 18, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

pirate1:
yes but they kept putting the camera on her - i would have rather seen the montage that they were showing to the audience.

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

This is a toe curler.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | June 18, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I saw Steve Mason shut out the Caps. Awesome performance. He deserved rookie of the year.

Posted by: pirate1 | June 18, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

i dont know what is worse - listening to the guys "speak" or chaka sing ... :-/

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I take it they're killing time to drag the show out? What's going on?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

No. Just more Chaka Kahn.

I hope we don't see more Robin Thicke...

and Luongo definetely got boo'd.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

phil:
he got LOUed not BOOed.

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Ustream! Coming through in the clutch!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

For a second there I thought Jurcina was at the awards show. Then I realized he was a bit uglier, so it was Chara.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

awh - timmy is choked up!

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I heard a very definite "b" sound, and thought maybe it was the huge influx of Edmonton people there.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Tim Thomas is the adorable version of Drew Carey.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

The "announcers" would benefit from more rehearsal time.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | June 18, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

this has got to be the lamest award show I've ever seen.. LOL thought the nascar award show was bad

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

joek443:
If you think this is bad you should have seen it last year!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Well the joke is on you for watching Nascar.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who sees Todd McLellan and thinks about a hedgehog with his spikes down?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Boo, the little kids?!? How awkward was that? Thank goodness they stayed at home this year.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I can't even see the show but I get joek443's point. The boom chick a boom music to play people on and off the stage ... sounds like outtakes from a 70s blaxploitation movie.

Posted by: pirate1 | June 18, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL you wanna compare nascar to the NHL?? people actually watch nascar in this country, unlike the NHL

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

jmu:
everything about it was (and is) painful! lol! i just remember an even bigger cheese factor last year. too funny. and yet here we are ... :-D

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Um...I don't think anyone is comparing nascar to the NHL but you. I am simply making fun of you for watching it.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

80 million people follow nascar in this country and call themselves the fans of the sport... Gary Bettman would wet his pants if 10 million people watched the stanley cup finals.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Boo, oh yeah. I was at a friend's place watching it last season, and she was like "Be glad there are Caps at this thing, or we would be watching the "Wife Swap" marathon". Which we both hate, but it would have been a vast improvement.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:39 PM |

So what exactly does this have to do with anything?

Do you have a point?

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching to see if it gets any worse (and to see if any Caps get any more awards of course).

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | June 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

just because its popular doesn't make it good. :)

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

If it makes you feel better, I also make fun of the other 79,999,999 Nascar fans.

Equal treatment.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

LOL paul coffey and defense.. talk about ODD.. considering it came from Brian Leetch who never played much defense like Coffey, it's understandable.. how about Ray Bourque??

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I rest my case.

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Boo. Green lost.

Posted by: pirate1 | June 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

*golf clap* I can deal with Big Z.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

bad voters, bad. Chara wins norris

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

anybody but Lidstrom.. would have been better had Green won but I can live with Chara

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

pirate1:
I know. I was getting hammered earlier today for saying that I did not think he would win (despite the fact that he is a great player). It's not easy being right all of the time! ;-)

JMU:
I'm with ya! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Ross & Richard trophies at the same time? Cheap, NHL, cheap.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

At least Greenie was named to the First All-Star team.

But I can't believe he wore a bow tie - maybe he's been hanging around DC politicians.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

This is a poor production all round. The camera on the crowd is not set correctly. Too bad about Green.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | June 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I have a lot more respect and admiration for Malkin now after what he did at the end of Game 2 of the finals.

you can argue that he should have been suspended but he showed some guts which I didn't think he had. I would like to have seen OV do somethign like that againt the Pens at the end of Game 4.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to Ovie for dedicating the Rocket Richard Trophy to the Caps Fans and Organization.

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 18, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else thing Bettman looks like "Stewart" from MadTV? Seriously if he said "look what I can do" I would probably mess myself right now.

Posted by: superpaqman | June 18, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

omg...THIS SHOW IS SOOOOO PAINFUL! I am a major hockey fan, but whoever put this one together at the NHL needs to be fired. I thought about attending in person -- if I'd put out the big bucks for tickets and travel costs, I'd be climbing down Bettman's throat for this egg that's been laid. Vegas?? Seriously?? Take it back to a hockey town...somewhere...anywhere...just don't do this again...

Congrats to Ovie and Greenie for the nominations and wins -- you're the best!!

Posted by: bubblegirl1 | June 18, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think that Pothier should be nominated for the Masterton next year?

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

bubblegirl1: I watched last year's awards at the Phone Booth and I don't remember that show being as lame as this one. Maybe it's Las Vegas ...

Posted by: pirate1 | June 18, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

LOL that dog in the bridgestone commercial looks like my dog...

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Ovie knows how to show the love.

So not even Vegas can help the NHL awards. Where are the showgirls? The glitz? The flashing lights? Cirque performers?

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Pothier was nominated by the Caps this year but he didn't make the top three.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 18, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Ovie is a two time winner!

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

tess, that's correct.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Clean Sweep.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil, He was the Caps nominee this year, but for some reason, they have to keep putting Chelios on the final three.

Ovi!!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Ovi wins! Yay!!!

Posted by: pirate1 | June 18, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | June 18, 2009 9:01 PM |

I know. That is why I said next year.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Was that Ovie telling Feds "you better resign with us.?"

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

They had Michael Buble and didn't even make him sing?!? C'mon NHL, pull it together.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

you would have to be a fan to watch this lame show.. LOL

congrats to OV, hope he brings the cup here next year like he says

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

They need to up the budget for next years show.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | June 18, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Woo hoo!!!

Ovie has a lot of Hart!

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

The Sirius XM announcers are doing a post show analysis. Even they thought Chaka Khan was ... unremarkable. Lots of comments on the goofs and stumbles of the broadcast.

Posted by: pirate1 | June 18, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

"Next year the Stanley Cup will be Ours"!

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 18, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to add; congatulations to OV.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | June 18, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

don't recall if this was posted here, but Ovie and Green were both names first-team all stars. Congrats, and double congrats to Green for making it despite the mid-season all star snub!

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Ovi, I'm holding you to that. :) Also, the "hot trophy" was funny. :) It's great when a guy can mock himself.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 18, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

@pstenigma

That was supposed to be my line. LOL.

You gotta have Hart. Miles and miles of hart.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 18, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Ovi for getting both the Pearson and the Hart for the second consecutive year. Next step for next year -- the Stanley Cup.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 18, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Or next song.... "If I only had a Hart."

I guess I'm getting silly.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 18, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Class act with your comments, Ovie! Congratulations!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | June 18, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

What little I saw of the awards show, it made me wonder, why they would pick such lousy music as the background? I think there've been better bar mitzvahs than this awards show. Yeah, put it back in a hockey town. Vegas screwed the NHL if the most they were able to give was Chaka Khan, Robin Thicke, and Michael Buble. *shivers*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 19, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse