Ovechkin: 'You never know'

Alex Ovechkin skated hard at the end of the morning skate with the assistant coaches, which usually is a sure sign he won't be in the lineup tonight.

But Ovechkin insisted that a decision on his status against the Devils has not been made -- yet.

"Well, you never know [but] I didn't talk to Bruce," Ovechkin said, referring, of course, to Coach Bruce Boudreau. "He just tell me be ready. So I [take] morning skate, and I'll go right now eat and sleep. And maybe I'm going to play today."

Whether he plays tonight or not, it's clear that he looks ready to go.

It's unclear what the lineup will look like, and because Boudreau did not attend the morning skate, reporters didn't get any hints, either. But it does look like Jose Theodore will be the starting goaltender and that Boyd Gordon will suit up.

Boudreau is expected to speak to reporters around 5.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 14, 2009; 1:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin will be game-time decision (updated)
Next: Ovechkin out tonight in New Jersey

Comments

Perreault gets a shot on one of the top two lines tonight? I know we're not down a center, but he's kind of earned it...

Posted by: Raber | November 14, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

You can tell from the interview video how much he wants to play tonight, and I know he said he feels fine after some contact, but I still hope he doesn't play till the Rangers game. I love the way the team has come together to make up for his absence on the ice, and I really think they can win tonight without him. Why risk his getting reinjured or more seriously injured?

Fanohock1, awesome that you're going tonight. Have a great time, and GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | November 14, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

BTW, that naughty gap-toothed grin of Ovi's makes me laugh whenever I see it. I love his sly, dry sense of humor.

Posted by: wocoliz | November 14, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal: Thanks for the tip. I'm hitting the road at 2:30 so we'll get there about an hour before game time.

FCKoeln1: Yeah, it's going to be a long day but I can listen to the Ranger vs Senators on the way to the game and the Avalanche on the way home. Time will fly.

If sitting Ovi is the right thing to do I am all for it, but if he's ready to go tonight I'd love to see him live in his road whites. LET'S GO CAPS.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 14, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1

If the Caps lost to NJ tonight...

For some perspective, last year the Caps beat the Pens in their first 3 meetings but lost the 4th in a shootout. We all know what happened in that series. (Of course having over 66% of our blueliners injured didn't help us any.)

Also, the Caps had beaten the NYR in thr first 3 games and also lost to them in, you guessed it, a shootout.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

You'll probably see Ovi in the pre game warmup but as for the game, who knows.....

I guess that's your incentive for leaving home early to get to NJ early enough for the pregame warmups.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 14, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@Raber

I would assume that they'd move up either Clark or Fehr to the first line to take Knubs' place. And leave Perrault on the third line.

(Of course, all this assumes that Ovi is not back.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 14, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes it seems that things happen for a reason. I'm beginning to believe there's a little "other world" intervention going on here.

1) We were all thinking a change was in order for the top lines so Ovi goes down and they have to make adjustments.

2) I felt that Varly should have had last Saturday's start. (No offense to Theo -- I just thought Theo would be gassed after back to backs and I was right.) So when Theo gets off to a bad start and they bring in Varly, someone was telling us that "it's time for Varly to get a chance".

3) MP needs to stay in the lineup and Knuble going down insures it for the next month, at least.

4) Flash was meant to be on the top line this year -- after some adversity.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 14, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting he doesn't play. they are on a winning streak without his help. May as well take advantage and rest him up some. Hopefully they start Varly.

Posted by: Unleash_The_Caps | November 14, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

ovie is out for tonight
-tarik's twitter

Posted by: vtcaps08 | November 14, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Re Flash -- he was interviewed earlier this week without his pads - he's seriously been hitting the iron. Part of his problem in the past is that he was easily knocked off the puck, which was partly due to a relatively slight build. He looks like he's added about 15 lbs.

Re MP - how good is he at FO's -- this is more directed at Hershey folks - he's at 44% up here but I would think he'll be low for awhile as he gets used to the better competition and people's tendencies.

Posted by: hook99 | November 14, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse