Ovechkin has a hat trick in Caps' OT win over Pens

Alex Ovechkin had his first hat trick of the season and Mike Knuble scored on the power play in overtime to give the Caps a thrilling 5-4 victory over the rival Penguins, a franchise-record 14th straight.

"It's always nice to score goals, especially in this type of big game," Ovechkin said. "They are going to play hard against us. They played great."

The Caps' winning streak was in doubt for much of the game, as Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby scored twice in the first period and Jordan Staal added two goals in the second to give the Pens a 4-1 lead.

But Ovechkin's three goals -- the first hat trick for any Capital this season -- and another score by Eric Fehr helped Washington claw its way back in a game NBC is surely pleased to have been able to show despite the threat of postponement by the D.C. Snowpocalypse.

"I am pretty excited and I am really excited for hockey that that game was put on TV today," Caps Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "That's what people pay to see; when superstars shine and there's tension and excitement and there's physical play, you can see the passion on both sides. That's what hockey's all about."

The snow threw a wrench into the Penguins' travel plans, and for much of yesterday afternoon, it seemed unlikely they'd be able to get to Verizon Center in time for a noon faceoff. But instead of flying from Montreal to Washington -- where all airports were shut down -- after yesterday's game, they flew to Newark and took a bus, which didn't arrive downtown until about 2 a.m.

Still, Pittsburgh Coach Dan Bylsma refused to use the weather as an excuse for his team's loss. His postgame comments are below:

Recap, more video and postgame analysis to come soon.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 7, 2010; 2:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live chat: Caps vs. Penguins
Next: Ovechkin on his hat trick and the Caps' win

Comments

Never count this team out.. especially when the Captain's got a heart of a champion.

Posted by: visionof75 | February 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I guess we decided to spot them a 4-1 being the had a long bus ride here !

Wow! What a game!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Amazing game, amazing comeback.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I am not going to use the live chat much anymore I left when we were down 4-1 and then they come back and win

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 7, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Caps comeback to beat the combined forces of the Pens and Refs.

Posted by: chemweapon | February 7, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

i hope crosby is crying

Posted by: gocaps01 | February 7, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

OV MPP

Awesome come back by the Cardiac Caps...to have lost would have been devastaing to their psyche...great work Caps on the come back..you make us proud!!

Posted by: capper3 | February 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

OV MPP

Posted by: capper3 | February 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Caps win despite the referees!!! This is the kind of game they need to build character for facing the Pens in the playoffs again this season.

Posted by: thomas20 | February 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

O-V-P! O-V-P! O-V-P!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I haven't shouted at my TV that loudly since the playoffs last year. Shouting at the officials for bad calls, at the commentators for being idiots, and of course every time Ovechkin scored a goal.

I especially loved his hat-trick goal where the commentators were playing up the fact that he looked injured and then he shoves it in their collective noses.

So pumped right now - 14! LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: Raber | February 7, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

That was such a good game... how could the super bowl top this?! This game had everything! Bad blood, tons of goals, and an Ovie hat trick! I've run out of words to describe Ovie. He is just UNBELIEVABLE. His leadership is uncanny, his ability to put his team back and single handily bring them back is just amazing. AMAZING.

It's like everytime they seem down and out, Ovechkin puts the team on his back and wills them to victory. And sorry for being mean to Theodore, I'm giving him credit because he was great in the third.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin! My Captain!

Posted by: aybee27 | February 7, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The refs were terrible, and the NBC announcers were fawning all over the Pens early in the game. I think they changed their tune by the end, but, boy, did I ever miss my homers Joe and Craig!

Way to go, Caps. I didn't care one whit about keeping the winning streak alive--just wanted the Caps to beat the Penguins more than anything! The fact that Ovi got a hat trick and Sidney didn't was icing on the cake. Kudos to all the Caps fans who made it to the VC to show their love and support. Best wishes for your journey home.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | February 7, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thank you Pittsburgh...you now have 2 tokens in the win streak....

Posted by: SA-Town | February 7, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

LOL..what did Orpik get a game misconduct for AFTER his high stick?

02:49
PIT
Brooks Orpik : Game misconduct - 0 min

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I was following this game via refreshes on my iPhone. I'm currently abroad visiting relatives. Thanks for causing me to make a scene at the dinner table guys. :).

Excellent win.

Posted by: Longgoneposter | February 7, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@ rachel216

Yeah. Theo really got himself outta that hole in the 3rd period. He had no regard for his body that period. Just great.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 7, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

LOL..what did Orpik get a game misconduct for AFTER his high stick?

02:49
PIT
Brooks Orpik : Game misconduct - 0 min

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 3:01 PM

Hahahaha!

I just saw this too. He got one after the game was over!!

Posted by: Raber | February 7, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Tremendous win, tremendous comeback victory, maybe this will finally wake up the NBC announcers that this Caps team is one of destiny.

Posted by: remy117 | February 7, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

That was by far and away their finest victory in the last 14 games...in spite of the refs. How I wish we could have Joe B and Locker call the game.

Posted by: capper3 | February 7, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@rachel-

I love him. I cried when he signed his extension. Best athlete in DC history. I love him. I mean, I like women and everything, but that guy is indescribeably awesome.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I am so happy right now, words can not describe it!

Does anybody else think the NBC commentators suck?

I knew OV wa heading for a hat trick soon...the past couple of games you could feel he wanted it! Besides some sloppy play in our zone the first peiod, I thought we plaed well.

I think the Caps need a good systems practice and they will be back to playing better in their zone.

Couldn't have cared less about the win streak...just wanted to beat those Pens!!!

I am sure Crysby is crying about his long bus ride and how unfair it was to have to play when they were so tired.

Posted by: capscoach | February 7, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the tears well up in Crosby's eyes when Ovie hit that 3rd goal?

Posted by: justchecking1 | February 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: remy117 | February 7, 2010 3:03 PM

Don't count on it. They'll mention the game 7 Pens win more than this victory the next time these two play on NBC. I didn't hear ONE REFERENCE to the game we already beat them in this year (though I admittedly missed the pregrame and intermissions) and I heard at least 4 mentions of the game 7 loss.

Posted by: Raber | February 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

The NBC announcers today were three of the worst I've ever had the pain of listening to. So glad the Caps came back and shoved it up their ass*s. Hey Pierre McGuire, suck my c*ck!

Posted by: gaholtzman | February 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Haha! It's okay kevbnyc! Doesn't matter if you have a man crush on Ovie. We all love Ovie!!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

That was one hell of a hockey game

Posted by: CAskinhead | February 7, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, definitely knew Staal's goals were in the second. Typed too fast!

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | February 7, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

8 > 87

Posted by: 20009matt | February 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"You could tell by the smile on Sidney Crosby's face when he showed up at the arena that he came here today to prove something." Well, he proved something all right - that he's good, but he sure ain't GR8!

Posted by: jburksva | February 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, yes, the Law of Ovechkin.

----------------------

8 > 87

Posted by: 20009matt | February 7, 2010 3:10 PM

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Super Bowl? F@ck that. That was the Super Bowl. What a great game. There is justice in that the Refs weren't able to give the game away to the PenISguins despite gift wrapping it in a velvet box and serving it up on a silver platter. So I guess the rubric for slashing is whenever a PenISguin's stick breaks without anyone touching him?

What a FANTASTIC Win. I hope this keeps the Caps jacked up. This team is so much fun to watch. You just can't turn them off, no matter how bad things may seem. Honestly, who thought the Caps were going to win this one when the PenISguins made it 4-1? The PK on the 5-3 was just the beginning, and then OV went to work. If there is any doubt as to who is the GREATEST player in the NHL, just watch this game again.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | February 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

This game should show everyone that Ovechkin is better than Sidney Crosby. Crosby was great too but at the end Ovechkin shows who's boss!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

i dont think the caps would have needed OT if they hadnt lost 2/3 of their top line to BS misconduct calls...when matt bradley and boyd gordon spend time on the top line, you are lucky to have any offense at all.

Posted by: formerlylove1 | February 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow were we ever spoiled this week between Thursday's game and today's. Both games were unreal!

Side note: Mike Milbury is an idiot. He is so biased it is ridiculous.

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike Emerick is easily the most overrated and quite frankly, awful, play-by-play announcer in sports today. That said, he's still not even the worst part of NBC's coverage - both Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury are a thousand times more terrible. It's impossible to watch an NBC hockey game with the sound on and not want to jab sharp objects into your eardrums.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | February 7, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

@capitalsoutsider Milbury just called me an [Gretzky] hole and then pushed me getting onto the elevator. I asked him about his "Daddy" comment.

From Twitter. Class act, that Milbury.

Posted by: KurtNYC | February 7, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

def a great game, best win of the streak! will be far better than the super bowl I'm sure, lol... Ovie continues to amaze.

Posted by: jeffcoud2 | February 7, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

that was flippin' amazing.
I posted on the chat about the line chemistry. now we know why BB doesn't change it. Penalties in the first 2 messed up the first line chemistry, but when they all got back together, they were unstoppable.

hell of a game by OV, great job by theo of keeping his head in the game, and I gotta admit, crosby was great, too. Rationally, you can't help but respect a player like that.
But let's not forget who got the hat trick and won the game!

Posted by: j762 | February 7, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget to give Knuble credit for the Gordie Howe!
Best FA signing ever.

Posted by: vafan3 | February 7, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Probably Pens fans will complain how the refs gave us a PP in OT... but remember they had a chance to end it with 4 minutes left in regulation. ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The referee who called the slash on Schultz should be suspended. NBC announcers said it was "the center ice official" who made the call. This means that this particular official made a complete wild-a$$ guess on what happened. I understand when like Ovi is boarded earlier and it is judgment whether or not the defender went over the line. But, in this case, Schultz never even moved his stick. The ref in no way can be exonerated due to "mis-call." The ref "guessed" that something happened when in no way it did.

A ref above all should never make a call unless he feels certain he saw it. In this case, suspend him for an abject error in judgment or suspend him until he gets his vision corrected; either way, this particular official should not be on the ice at an NHL contest.

Good win, though, and not a bad game. I felt bad for Cindy, having to watch all those hats rain down. Like it or lump it, that's the tradition of the game.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 7, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@tom

Yeah, it was a pretty blown call. The stick broke of it's own accord, upon replay.

Pretty blown call.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

youaresquisky...........u r 100%slanted or blind....what about Stecks high stick to Malkins face in the 3rdright of the face off.dont bother quoting the rule book dufus refs know the rules and still let some slide get real

Posted by: wendel2 | February 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Great for the Caps to show their stuff to a national audience, but could the NBC broadcasting crew be any more biased towards Pittsburgh, in general, and Crosby, in particular? They will need to gargle twice after giving all of those VBJ's ...

Posted by: VirginiaLonghorn | February 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

What's the "Daddy" comment?

---------------------

From Twitter. Class act, that Milbury.

Posted by: KurtNYC | February 7, 2010 3:14 PM

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

From the last thread:

What an eventful chat and AWESOME game. WAPOST please restore my wtf_e_fehr ID. Thanks.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

TSN says it was the K Bus who scored. Seems like there isnt a postgame show to be found on TV.

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 2:57 PM |

wtf: what was up with the ID thing in the chat? Lost mine for a while too...Pen trolls?

Posted by: TimDz | February 7, 2010 2:57 PM |

I sure would like to know. It was VERY hard to get back into the chat. I suspect a hack but it very well could have been a glitch. I would REALLY like to know though!

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:05 PM |

I am REALLY HAPPY that the fans who did make it out to the VC were rewarded with an AWESOME game to watch.

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:07 PM |

I am listening to Steve Kolbe on 1500 AM, because NO ONE ELSE is covering this. Kolbe is now off, and now they will talk Caps Hockey.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:09 PM |

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Agree tominfl1. Total phantom call against 55.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

CAN SOMEBODY GIVE MY BOY SOME LOVE?

HE WAS GREAT!

WTF?

e_

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Re: the "Daddy" comment - Milbury said after Crosby had his 2nd (I think) that Crosby was showing that he was still "Ovechkin's daddy" or something to that effect.

Posted by: KurtNYC | February 7, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I know the streak will come to an end sometime...but isn't it great that we were able to continue it against the pens in such a manner?

Posted by: TimDz | February 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

How about they make a rule where you can review penalties?

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

the judgement day for who's the better player between Ovie and Crosby will come some time in May, not now...

Crosby has had the edge so far in head-to head between the two teams because he's had better players around him but that's no longer the case.

they have a good enough team to beat the champs and now they have to go and do it in the playoffs

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

now i'm gonna be waiting for the SI piece on ovie. you know, the ACTUAL greatest hockey player in the world now.

Posted by: j762 | February 7, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement!!!!!

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

ERIC FEHR WAS AWESOME! His goal that made it 4-2 was a huge momentum swing and gave us hope!

There you go wtf_e_fehr!!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:

Couldn't agree more. It's a point sometimes I think people don't think about, but you put it well--if you are a referee, you can't call something if you don't actually see it happen. You're not allowed to guess at what happened, or assume that the reason a stick broke was because of a slash.

And all referees know this. It's Rule #1 of being a referee.

This was an obvious sign of a biased official. I do not think this particular call can be explained without taking either an anti-Capitals or pro-Penguins bias into account. Now, I'm not saying this has to be a long-term bias: maybe Bruce Boudreau's yelling after the Penguins shoved Ovechkin headfirst into the boards without getting any penalty was over the top, and maybe it hurt one of the referee's feelings, or maybe his yelling later in the game at one of the other many missed calls or bad calls is what did it. Or maybe Captain Ovechkin's continual yammering at the refs every time he got boarded, slashed, and crosschecked is what did it. Refs keep grudges just like everyone else, sometimes only for the rest of the game.

14. I'm SO happy the Caps won this poorly officiated game. I do hope the league takes some kind of action against these officials. We'll probably never know about it if it happens though.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 7, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

What a P.O.S. Well, this game showed him what a jacka*s he is.

------------------------------

Posted by: KurtNYC | February 7, 2010 3:21 PM

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 7, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

it was 5-4 Caps here and now it's 5-4 Bears in the third in Hershey, both teams coming back from a 3-goal deficit, so far an average game for Varly but hopefully there will be no more setbacks

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hershey just came back from 3 goals down to beat the Baby Pens 5-4 in regulation.

Posted by: wocoliz | February 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

THANKS RACH!

You didnt give up on us early again did you?

Ya gotta hang in there with these boys, I hope EVERYONE has learned that!

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

now it's final, 5-4 bears... Varly stopping 26 outta 30 shots

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the update, joek.

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Perreault named #1 star in Hershey with a hat trick and an assist. WOOHOO!

Posted by: wocoliz | February 7, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Habs and Sens next. Sens broke their streak, so it's not as exciting.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

For those who hate the NBC commentators, guess who you get to listen to during the Olympics. Get your ear plugs now.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 7, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

real_wtf_fehr: I was hard to keep up in the live chat cuz so many comments were coming in, my computer was like freezing up. Never lose faith. You changed your name?

Scary how the Bears and Caps are so identical!!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

SWEPT THE PENS ORGANIZATION!

BOTH WINS IN SIMILAR FASHION!

GO CAPS GO BEARS GO GMGM GO TED!!!!

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:

And all referees know this. It's Rule #1 of being a referee.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 7, 2010 3:24 PM

I remind people of an incident in the Caps v. Flyers series where Matt Bradley took a VICIOUS high stick to the face and was bleeding profusely as he came off the ice. He was screaming bloody murder at the officials. No call was made because the referee didn't see it happen. I'm not saying he should have called it if he didn't see it, but that's the rule as written.

If the same had happened to Crosby, we'd see a 4 minute minor with a random player in the box.

Posted by: Raber | February 7, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Ovie on the phone with espn news

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

That's ok - the Caps took all the regular season games last year (except one OTL), and how'd that work out?

You can have all the regular season games you want - when it counts the Caps will be busy playing golf again this spring.

Posted by: MacGruber | February 7, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

BTW - Fehr earned the third star tonight for his play. I figured the NHL would give it to Knuble for the winner, but they correctly singled Fehr out (his lifting goal and his hustle in the third).

Posted by: Raber | February 7, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I always had that problem with the chat freezing but don't have that problem anymore since using Safari instead of IE

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Someone's really jealous...

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@rach

Something went terribly wrong with the chat today. Comments were being posted under my name, and I didnt write them.

I had to create this new ID to have visible comments again after they would no longer accept comments from wtf_e_fehr.

I took me until the 2nd period to be SEEN again.

I hope that fix this HACK/GLITCH and it never happens again. It was a terrible time for it to happen.

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Agree completely about the Schultz call. If the ref who was next to the play, and watching the play, didn't make the call, how could the ref at the far side red line make it? You would think the closer ref would say "hey, it wasn't a penalty". But I think they are afraid to do that because it calls out the ref and shows the mistake.

However, you would think getting the calls correct would be more important than calling out a ref.

Horrible call, but the Caps got justice by winning.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"Wow. Caps comeback to beat the combined forces of the Pens and Refs."

No kidding.

Loved that phantom call with about 4 minutes left on Shultz. Even the Peguins biased announcers said it was a bad call.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 7, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

real_wtf_fehr: Oh.. that really sucks. ;( At least you're here now, with your new ID. =)

MacGruber: If it didn't matter, why are you here telling us? Seems like you're really worried about the Caps.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

what a finish.........for all those whinning about officiating we just got a gift in ot.....refs let stuff go both ways...all that crying about refs makes u look like #87(who like him or not can play the game) hope bb still deals with some of the apparent issues and doesnt just ignore them cause the streak continues

Posted by: wendel2 | February 7, 2010 2:55 PM

Posted by: wendel2 | February 7, 2010 3:18 PM

@wendel2

I'm not 100% slanted, nor am I blind, nor am I a dufus. I haven't said anything about the quality of the officiating all season except for in one game long ago I'm pretty sure.

I just thought this particular game was the most one-sidedly officiated game in the opposition's favor all season, and I have watched every Capitals game this season. I did not say that the referees called every single Capitals infraction today. But in general, they let many more Penguins infractions go than they did Capitals infractions, and they took two-thirds of the Capitals' top line off for ten minutes apiece.

And the refs did not give the Capitals a "gift in OT." As I have already told you, the penalty in OT was a mandatory call. The referees have no discretion when it comes to a stick hitting someone's face (unless it's the result of a follow-through on a shot). So, you're saying that a penalty that the referees are absolutely required to call is "a gift." That's just an incredibly dumb thing to say.

Then, because you are frustrated because you know you are wrong, you feel the need to lash out at me and insult me. Nice. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I continue to believe that your crying about people justifiably complaining about the poor officiating today makes you sound like #87.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 7, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

WE'RE ALL GONNA GET LAID!!!

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | February 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"Wow. Caps comeback to beat the combined forces of the Pens and Refs."

No kidding.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 7, 2010 3:40 PM

Side note: I'm almost surprised NBC even showed the replay. I really really wanted to see a replay of the Poti interference call, but none came. They sure as hell showed a replay of every missed call on the Caps.

They were even crying foul after Sid took a draw and looked hurt, but in that case he actually hurt himself!

Posted by: Raber | February 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Ray: I don't believe that! They never criticize a call that goes for them. I thought they would find a way to justify that call. If they scored there, I think we'd all be irate!! Thank god the PKers did the job there.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

It really might be time to get a Schultz jersey. The kid really has arrived and developed into a GREAT player.

Posted by: BACKS | February 7, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@ rachel216: wtf, myself and Zosodave all got our names hijacked...I am guessing it was Pen Trolls...It went away after the first period.

Awesome win today. I know the streak will end, but I am so glad that the team extended the streak in such a fashion against the pens

Posted by: TimDz | February 7, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I actually love it when these loser fans come on our board and spew crap. Its funny, and a testament to their envy. I mean....

WHO DOESN'T WANT TO WIN IN THE REGULAR SEASON?

But I cant wait for the playoffs either.

Welcome visitors...enjoy your loss.

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I also wanted to see a replay of the Semin highstick. The stick definitely hit the face, but it looked to me like Gonchar grabbed a hold of Semin's stick with his hands when he realized he was getting beat. Semin trys to wrestle it free around and hits him in the face.

I'm not saying this is what happened, it's just what I saw the first time and I really wanted to see a replay of the call a little closer to the action (or from a different angle). The NBC video crew didn't oblige.

Posted by: Raber | February 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit I had almost given up. It looked like one of those NBC games where the Caps don't show up. However, I was wrong. This team is something special...Wow!

As far as Emrick goes. There was a time 10 - 15 years ago where he was the best, but I think he fell into the trap of loving to hear himself talk. He goes on about nonsense. It's a shame, he used to be really good.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 7, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I still want to know what Orpik did/said to get a game misconduct after the game was over.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Milbury should realize that Ovechkin is "his" daddy.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BACKS | February 7, 2010 3:46 PM

I was really mad at Schultz early in the game. He was in a tough position because Green steps up to take the puck carrier on the PK (when it was still the forward's job) and then he slides over to take Green's forward leaving Crosby WIDE OPEN on the off wing for an easy goal.

Of all the people to leave alone, I was furious that Schultz vacated his side of the PK to follow a man across the circles who ended up making the primary assist to a wide open Crosby.

Of course, then Schultz played a fantastic game for the rest (including a great assist to OV).

Posted by: Raber | February 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Killing the 5-3 for the entire duration was, as Tiger would say, "Huge."

Go Caps!

Posted by: EGTuna | February 7, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Sam Rosen was really good on Fox when they had the NHL and so was Gary Thorn on abc/espn... Emrick gets too excited

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hit count: 32 for Caps, 17 for Pens.

(where's cstanton1 at?)

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

According to Corey M. (as someone posted on Japers), he called Semin a baby and said he had no respect for him.

As far as I'm concerned, it serves the Penguins right to lose the game while Orpik is in the penalty box. What a Prick!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know a website where I can watch a full game replay for free without downloading?

CAPS CAPS CAPS!!!

Posted by: dc33 | February 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 3:53 PM |

Haha, is that all?

Orpik is a tremendous hitter, but all he does is whine and talk to the media.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Ah, I still like Emrick.

But the other two -- please stop talking. Especially Pierre McGwire. We get it -- you love Pittsburgh and Crosby.

And I love how they said Ovechkin looked a little ginger ... and seconds later, he's got a hat trick. Keep spewing, NBC.

Posted by: Cerealman | February 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big Mike Green fan but he never seems to play well against the Pens...

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

let me preface this by saying... yes, i don't like the pens and i'm soooo happy when they lose, any time they lose but...

i would like to commend them for making it here and playing a tough game after playing the day before and all that travel hell they went through.

that being said... thanks caps for never quitting. i know i quit when it was 4-1, but they didn't. truly amazing game for all hockey fans and maybe we gained a few new hockey fans too.

Posted by: natresgroup | February 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I've noticed that cstanton has been conspicuous by his absence here during the Caps winning streak.

Is there a correlation somewhere?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"Best athlete in DC history. I love him."

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 7, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'd say as of now it's still Walter Johnson #1 and Sammy Baugh #2. And until Ovi brings home a championship, I'm giving Elvin Hayes the #3 spot.

But Ovi's got a few years to make his argument.

Posted by: farstriker | February 7, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@natresgroup

I know exactly how you feel. I went upstairs in disgust when it was 4-1, also. I even tore up my tickets for the game (that I wasn't able to use since I'm stuck in our subdivision).

But I checked out the Japers thread and went back downstairs later.

These guys can sometimes make us wonder sometimes. But they came through in the end.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

if there's one thing missing from the Caps, it's the d-man who plays nasty and gets under your skin like Orpik...

And the Pens always seem to find those players, Kasparitis and the Samuelsson brothers, Ulf and Kjell...

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Is there a better rivalry in sports?

Posted by: terlin1 | February 7, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Time for the Caps to put Orpik's comments on the bulletin board the next time the Caps play the Pens.

I would dearly love to see Sasha get the game winning goal against the Pens some day while Orpik is in the box. That would serve him right.

As it is, I loved the Caps getting the game winning with Orpik in the box regardless of who it was. And that did serve him right.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't have to be a d-man. I've given up on Volchenkov, and am now crusading for Steve Ott first, and Kubina second.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I know what you mean. Ottawa will probably hang on the Volchenkov since they're in the playoff hunt. And, at the moment, if they hold their position, will be the likely playoff opponent of the Pens.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

GIVE ME A BREAK! Commending the Penguins for DOING THEIR JOBS and arriving here on time?!?!

YOU MUST BE FREAKING NUTS! They're making millions a year. How about commending our cops and firefights and others for doing THEIR jobs while not being paid so well?

Come on man, did anyone give the Caps props for making it and showing up for games when their charter planes had engine trouble and the like?!

Posted by: letzgoterps | February 7, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Is Bashir the clown who wrote that piece on Crosby this morning? Dope..

Posted by: wewintheylose | February 7, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

letzgoterps -

just relax, it'll be ok. give yourself a hug and calm down. if you actually understood what i was saying, which by your comments you didn't. i was just saying that the pens could have just layed down and used the travel problems as their excuse. i'm certainly not commending the pens just for showing up.

don't be angry that these guys make millions and our public service men and women don't. they chose that job and yes, I thank them very much for the job that they do.

and the caps charter jet problems didn't have them in constant travel for over 12 hours.

Again relax, we're on the same side here.

Posted by: natresgroup | February 7, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

XIV, BAYBEEEE!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 7, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow...talk about doing things the hard way.

Great win, something this area needed after that mighty snowfall. This team is for real.

Posted by: VPaterno | February 7, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Hell of a game...

Ovie is THE MAN!!!

As for the awful NBC announcers, the one saving grace was that Ed Olczyk (another former Pens coach) didnt make it to the game so we didnt have to hear that moron McGuire say "Edzo" a million times.

Posted by: chombie13 | February 7, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone was wondering why the Caps move for Mike Knuble was the move of the offseason - you only had to watch the game today.

Mike works the corners, scores the key goals and won't back down from anyone physically.

Knuble, Chimera and Fehr make the Capitals a much different team heading into the playoffs.

Good luck beating Washington with the same lineup Pittsburgh.

Posted by: leopard09 | February 7, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Sweet win. Screw Pittsburgh. It sounded LOUD on tv.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | February 7, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse