A.O. Snags Hart, Pearson; Boudreau Wins Adams

Alex Ovechkin captured the Hart Trophy and the Lester B. Pearson Award, beating out Calgary's Jarome Iginla and Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin for both honors tonight at the NHL Awards Show in Toronto. He's the first Capital to win either award.

The voting for the Hart Trophy wasn't even close. Ovechkin racked up 1,313 points to Malkin's 659 and Iginla's 565 to become the first player to capture the Hart, Pearson, the Art Ross and Maurice Richard.

He was also named a First Team All-Star for the third straight year, becoming the first to do that in his first three seasons since Terry Sawchuk (1950-53).

Update: Coach Bruce Boudreau just won the Jack Adams, beating out Montreal's Guy Carbonneau and Detroit's Mike Babcock. Boudreau has gone from riding the buses in the minors to being the NHL's coach of the year in the span of seven months. His story just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?

Boudreau ended up with 208 points, 12 more than Carbonneau. Babcock had 65.

"I would have picked the guy who won the Stanley Cup," Boudreau cracked. "I'm glad I didn't have a vote."

Update:Nicklas Backstrom was runner up to Chicago's Patrick Kane for the Calder Trophy. Kane had 1,087 points to Backstrom's 872 points. The Blackhawks' Jonathan Toews was third with 647.

Backstrom, however, was named to the All-Rookie Team.

Update: Not to be a drag or anything, but I heard from a couple of people that it's looking more and more like restricted free agent Mike Green and his camp are determined to take their negotiations with the Caps to July 1 in the hopes of attracting an offer sheet.

Majority owner Ted Leonsis has said over and again that he will match any offer, but it's looking as though things might get complicated. But don't panic yet -- it's only June 12.

Update:I'll be traveling for most of Friday, but I will make it back to Washington in time for the key-to-the-city ceremony.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 12, 2008; 8:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin's New Duds
Next: Ovechkin Gets Key To Washington

Comments

Anyone know why Vs./TSN blacked out the opening with Stompin' Tom ? I was looking forward to that opening.

Also don't know why Vs. HD for Cox got hijacked by Golf for British Open highlights from last season over a LIVE sporting event.

Posted by: FFS Enough | June 12, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Go Ovie!!!! I wish it were on radio (I got rid of cable, last year).

Posted by: fbutler1 | June 12, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

glad it meant so much to him. well earned.

Posted by: jim* | June 12, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Great Job

Posted by: chas | June 12, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

GABBY WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | June 12, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

YEAH COACH!!!!

Posted by: RobMonroe | June 12, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I've never been so happy for a coach!!

Posted by: uncatim | June 12, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh he SO deserves it! I cheered so loudly I upset the dog and cat!! :-D That's awesome!! And it was a classic BB speech ... good for him! I can't think of a more deserving guy.

Posted by: Boo! | June 12, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I think the whole neighborhood heard me cheering when Bruce won. Absolutely awesome!!!!!

Posted by: tess | June 12, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Half the town just heard "BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!"

Posted by: Joe | June 12, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

GABBY!!!!!

Posted by: JS | June 12, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

This is just the start of the start !!

Posted by: Cwolff | June 12, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

@LFR- Thanks for the welcome to 409.Stop up and say hi-first beer is on me.Last row seats 1 and 2.
@Boo-Who knew there was a secret handshake? First one at the Turtle on me.

Posted by: markfromparkville | June 12, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

@FFS Enough ---

The show is on VS NON HD channel -- VS HD is shared with the Golf Channel, and the Golf channel has the Open on it.

Congrats Ovie and BRRRRUUUUUUUCCCCE

Nikki... he who laughs last laughs best. You'll be just fine.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | June 12, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

BRUUUUUCE!!! Good for him. What a great small-town-to-big-city=success story.

Posted by: longtimecapsfan | June 12, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Mark - are you buying drinks for everyone?!? :-) Oh, and it's more of a dance, or a jig, than a handshake ... ;-)

I'm still beaming for Gabby - I got goosebumps when they announced his name! That's so cool. The right man won.

Posted by: Boo! | June 12, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic for Coach B.! What a Cinderella season for him.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 12, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

How many trophy's does Pittsburgh have?

You are going down next year.

Posted by: Penguins? | June 12, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Boo-Just giddy about becoming a STH.Beer for everybody at the Turtle.(Nobody will remember in October that I wrote this.Will they?)

Posted by: markfromparkville | June 12, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

How the hell did Marty get the vezina? Jesus..

Posted by: Jordan | June 12, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

OVIEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by: Go Skins Go | June 12, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Ovie!

Mark:
Hockey fans don't forget anything ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 12, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

A two-fer, just short of a three-fer!.The Caps have it goin' on!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Happy Happy joy joy

Posted by: uncatim | June 12, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Ovie wins the Hart!!

Posted by: John K | June 12, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Ovie...is da monster from Russia...

Get your season tickets...Next year is going to be money.

Erskine for Hart 2009!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I truly believe if Bruce and Ovie were in Pittsburgh, they would of won the cup.

Crosby and Thierien=Not getting it done

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Pinch me.

Posted by: Dinger | June 12, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I know you can't base it off of one game, but I thought Backstrom was Rookie of the Year until the Caps played Chicago. Although I am disappointed Backstrom didn't win, I think the right decision was made.

Chief, got any criticism of the Caps drafting?

Posted by: reekie | June 12, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Brodeur's speach was painful. Congrats Ovie!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Who's watching game 1 vs Philly replay on CSN?

Posted by: Bubba | June 12, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

What's with the headline on the front page? It's MVP, not MPV.

Posted by: Dan | June 12, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

If Huet can read this....

HOW COULD YOU NOT RETURN TO D.C. GET THE CONTRACT DONE....VIVA LA FRANCE!!!!

Posted by: GMGM | June 12, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Bruce! I never really cared who won this award before this year! We Bears'/Caps' fans are so proud of you! I think all of Hershey is smiling! Go Caps! Go Bears! Go Stingrays!

Posted by: bearslover | June 12, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Bruce! Thats so awesome!
If Ovie keeps it up, there wont be anymore records to break!

Posted by: oo7 | June 12, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

congrats Ovie! and tomorrow he gets the key to the city! and I dig his new clothing line :)

Posted by: CapsFanInHollywood | June 12, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I would have been shocked to not see Ovi win but I really didn't expect BB to snag the JA. Goes to show you that a good story beats good stats. First DC'er to win an MVP in 25 years in any of the big 4 sports. I look to see BB on the cover of Time magazine next week.

Posted by: robert | June 12, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@Mark

Not only do we have long memories, you wrote it here. They archive this, you know... :)

@oo7

Here's to no more records to break for Ovie!

Much as I'd have liked to see Backstrom win the Calder, it was Patrick Kane's. Backstrom had a hell of a year, and a really good playoff trip. I would love to see him start to shoot more because it's an awesome shot.

It was a good season. Next year's will be great. There's some work yet to be done, gmgm. Let's git 'er done!

Posted by: Greg S. | June 12, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

What a glorious evening! Ovie got what he deserved - no real surprises there. I must say, as much as Gabby deserved the Adams, I really thought he would get the shaft. I am absolutely thrilled for him and the team that he won. Too bad about Backstrom, but with the career that lies ahead of him, who really cares?

Way to completely booger up the opening of the telecast! Coronation Street for 3 minutes, followed by the lottery for the first overall pick for a couple of minutes, then finally to the awards. Well done! Then, I had to stop the Tivo the second the awards ended so as not to accidentally record any of the "Sidney Crosby Revealed" program that followed. Don't make me puke.

Posted by: alpca3877 | June 12, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik.
Any idea what the vote count was for Calder? I know he was second but how badly?

Posted by: slmperson | June 12, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah! And who EVER saw AO winning the Hart?? No one saw that - ah, yes - our own Sombrero Man!!

Posted by: Greg S. | June 12, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

What was that, Mr. Kornheiser? Ovechkin and the Caps are just a minor local story? Anything to add to that Mr Wilbon?

Posted by: uncatim | June 12, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

So excited for Ovie and Boudreau. It's a great day to be a Caps fan. I hope they both get laid tonight.

Posted by: sushi | June 12, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.-I'll meet everyone at the Turtle.I'll be the one wearing the Ovechkin sweater.
@JMU- votre poste bilingue heir soir-tres impressionnant.

Posted by: markfromparkville | June 12, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

this sucks. I had to DVR the awards show and VS only scheduled 1:30 for the show so I didn't get to see the presentation of the Hart

Posted by: Mike | June 12, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before and I'll say it again --

Bruce Boudreau is Scotty Bowman!

Posted by: Ron | June 12, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

What a glorious night!

How can you not get excited about the Caps after that? Kudos to Ovie for making sure that Nicky's name was said on the stage. Class, all the way.

Boo, I got goosebumps too. I am so excited for next season.

Posted by: Kim | June 12, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

you also said the Caps in 5 over Philly

Posted by: bigonetimer | June 12, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Caps. D.C. can look forward to some quality hockey next season. These guys have rejuvenated this great sport in the nation's capital and brought new fans on board. Ovechkin better buy some strong shelves; he is going to collect a lot of trophies before his career is over...

Posted by: Guy B. Jones | June 12, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

"Go Ovie!!!! I wish it were on radio (I got rid of cable, last year).

Posted by: fbutler1
___________________________________________
Great move you cheap bastard. How do you watch the games?

Posted by: Jay | June 12, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Coach Bruce for his win of the Adams Trophy, also to Ovie for his awards. This is from a long time Hershey Bears Season Ticket Holder. I have seen lots of coaches in Hershey, but Bruce is the Best.

Posted by: Pat G | June 12, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

WOW! DAP FOR THE CAPS!

Posted by: Clarendon | June 12, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

congrats guys!!!!

Posted by: wanggo | June 12, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

that is all. just simply woo...hoo.

Posted by: woo hoo | June 12, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

"I am as happy as a little girl!"

Posted by: Clarendon | June 12, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Ovie and BB ! Cant wait till next season !

Posted by: CB from DE | June 12, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

"Do you want to touch my monkey?"

Posted by: Sprockets | June 12, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

mark,
Merci monsieur. Le famille de ma mère est canadienne-francaise. Ma Russe va mieux, aussi.
Just finished watching the awards. So excited for Ovie and Bruce. I definitely scared the dog with a "Bruuuuuce". Too bad for Nick, but he's still my favorite rookie. At least until July 1st, when I get to pick a new one! Can't wait til October. Go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 12, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Ovie from espn:

"Next year I think we will be much better, and I can't wait to see it start," he said. "We love what we're doing. We never give up, we believe in each other, we believe in the coach, we believe in everybody.

"Only when you believe do you win the Stanley Cup."

Okay, frankly, I am on pins and needles until this time next year.

Posted by: Clarendon | June 12, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Too bad for Nick, but he's still my favorite rookie. At least until July 1st, when I get to pick a new one! - jmu_capsgirl

That was awesome!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

This is what hard work gives as a reward. Congratulations!

Posted by: Michael1945 | June 12, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

NHL.com's "frozen moment" is a photo of Sid from last year winning three trophies. I think the need to replace that NOW with Alex and his FOUR trophies.

Posted by: tess | June 12, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the anonymous, that was me giving you props, jmu!

Posted by: oo7 | June 12, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

slmperson:
Kane had 1,087 points to Backstrom's 872 points.

Mark:
The one in the Ovie sweater ... funny! Too bad you told us all where you sit!! ;-)

Kim:
Not only did I get goosebumps when they announced BB, I cheered and clapped LOUDLY. The sad thing is that I did not really my DH was home - I think I gave him a mild heart attack (I mean, upper body injury).

JMU:
I don't speak French, but I can tell what you said. :-) Where exactly is your mother's family from? (BTW, we can send our dogs to therapy together.)

Posted by: Boo! | June 12, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin winning is a rare treat, I think Coach winning is bigger.

Posted by: krazijoe | June 12, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I hope Huet comes back, we when the cup, and Oloaf sulks like a baby sitting the bench for a crap team.

Posted by: sushi | June 12, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

this is not the time to attack Olie. Let us rejoice and bask in the moment, please.

Posted by: be nice | June 12, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned Huet, so it brought to mind what a sourpus Oloaf was just because someone dared take his aging stance out of goal. Soon as we did that, guess what? Caps started winning. Benching Oloaf is exactly why Boudreau is where he is today. Someone finally had the courage to do it. And then Oloaf decides he really isn't a team player when the going gets rough.

Posted by: sushi | June 12, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Olie was playing great right before he was "benched". Let it go, already. He's moved on - the "fans" should, too. Regardless, this is a time for celebration - let's please focus on BB and Ovie.

Posted by: Boo! | June 12, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I cheered as loud when Gabby and Ovie won as when the Caps made the playoffs. Great night for the team. LIke Ovie said, we can't wait until next year!!

Posted by: RandyD | June 12, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Great Day for the Caps!

G A B B Y
Gabby Gabby Gabby!

OV OV OV

I hope they make the front page and not just sports.

Posted by: uncatims-bro | June 13, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

So happy for Bruce. OV was expected. T shirts don't lie...right?

I am irked that i (probably)did not get the Hart when I DVR'd the show. Thank goodness for youtube.

I stopped by the Verizon center tonight (ingcognito...had to leave the Sombrero home) but had to leave after the pearson was announced for a birthday dinner. Tomorrow night I plan to stay in, have a few beers and watch the last couple of "season to remember" replays and the awards. It will be a glorious night

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 13, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Also...I can't believe Brodeur won over Nabokov.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 13, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

yeah ovie and bruce!!!!! great night, great honors!!!!!

Posted by: chris larry | June 13, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

"It's looking more and more like restricted free agent Mike Green and his camp are determined to take their negotiations with the Caps to July 1 in the hopes of attracting an offer sheet."

Initiate MASS HYSTERIA

Posted by: Ben | June 13, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Lindstrom and Osgood are on Carson. I don't normally watch this show ... glad I did not change the channel after Conan ended! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 13, 2008 1:43 AM | Report abuse

oo7, thanks, I'm wavering between utter shock that its not hockey season anymore to complete excitement for next season. That was a moment of excitement.
Boo!, about an hour and a half east of Montreal. The dog is already on anti-depressants; therapy might be more help. (She's taking the whole off-season thing a bit hard) :D
I'm probably going to get skewered for this, but I had a feeling this was going to happen with Green. As great as he is on the ice, he's really not my favorite person in the world off it. Having said that, I've never met the kid so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt, but he oozes the kind of cocky you just want to slap. I hope he stays in a Caps sweater, but I won't be investing in a #52.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 13, 2008 3:22 AM | Report abuse

Mike Green is smart for going to offers. He wants to punch his meal ticket. Let the guy get his offers like he should. If you were on the job market you would be more then happy to let companies bid on your salary.

He knows Washington has last rights, and will keep him. Im sure he wants to stay.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 13, 2008 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Bruce!!!! As much as I thought he deserved it, I never thought he would get it. Awesome, totally awesome!

What can I say about OV? He's the best, plain and simple. This is only the beginning of the hardware for him.

I am soooooooo excited for next season!

"The future's so bright, I have to wear shades"

Posted by: BearsWoooo | June 13, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

The draft is next weekend, isn't it?

We get to pick a new Rookie next week, JMU_Capsgirl! Much sooner than July 1st.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 13, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Congrats OV and BB, shame Backs couldn't complete the hat-trick.

I agree with SA Town re Green. He'll stay, he knows that this team is on the verge of something special. He's just after as much as he can get. Who can blame him, if we could do it with our jobs I'm sure we would.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | June 13, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Thank you for the latest update on the FA signing. Now we at least know what's going on -- rather than speculating and coming up with rumors.

Let Green take his time. I'm more concerned about the goalie situation.

Posted by: Danny | June 13, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Drinking Partner,
Well yeah, I guess. I was thinking that technically, all contracts "start" on July 1st, so Nick would officially be in his second season on July 1st. That and I have to make sure my new favorite rookie is actually going to be an NHL rookie, which I guess takes longer than July 1st. I'm pretty sure I've already got my new favorite rookie picked out, I'm just waiting. Go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 13, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Awards Mean Nothing....The Cup Changes Everything.

Posted by: S. Crosby | June 13, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@ S. Crosby

Eating your cheerios from the Cup this morning Sid?

Oh wait...

Posted by: SuperCaps | June 13, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

AO was kind of a lock for both MVP awards. I think BB's Adams win is a bit of an upset over Babcock. I thought Nicky was a bit of a longshot, but I thought the two Chicgoans would split the vote enough to lose (like Ralph Nader and Al Gore...)

Stinks about Green. Green is looking for a "Gang of Green" or "More Green" or "Big Green" ok, I'll stop. He's free to do what he wants, but it strikes me as kind of DB thing to do, especially if GMGM has made a market-level offer. Note to Mike: We like you, but you are not Lidstrom or evne Phanuef...

Posted by: old time hockey | June 13, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Je suis une grande fromage visage...
translation?
The gig is up Bueller, your @ss is mine...

I was in a Ruby Tuesday in Charlotte watching the awards show on VS. I yelled "Hell Yes" so loud when BB won the JA... I definitely was out of control... I then hit a karaoke bar and sang a little Journey ditty...

Posted by: JSchon | June 13, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Great to see Ovechkin on the cover of the wash post this morning....

...however, Jasper's Rink caught this online Post blunder. Pretty funny.

Posted by: Stormblue | June 13, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm curious, a couple of weeks ago there were people in here complaining about the (Com)Post not putting a picture of A.O. with the Ross and Richard trophies on the front page of Sports section.

Where are those complainers now that A.O. is on A-1 of the (Com)Post with the Ross, Richard, Pearson, and Hart trophies???

Posted by: Caps Nut | June 13, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

From the Washington Times:

"Ovechkin received 128 of 134 first-place votes for the Hart Trophy. He was second on four ballots, third on one and was not in the top five on one ballot."

Do you think those last two votes came from Pittsburgh?

Posted by: Joe B | June 13, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Stormblue: Dan also caught that on this blog at 8:55 last night. I, on the other hand, probably read it 5 times & noticed nothing.

Posted by: uncatim | June 13, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Old Time Hockey,

I agree with you. Screw Green. We don't need him. We don't need another scorer; we got enough of them. What we need is a solid, real defenseman.

I hope we reject Green's insane asking price - whatever it may be.

Posted by: Danny | June 13, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@Caps Nut

That was me and I stand by my original complaints - what the Post did today is what they SHOULD have done anyway. They still erred by not putting up anything significant about the previous 2 trophies.

Posted by: that was me | June 13, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@Joe B:

not in the top five?! Does Mike Milbury get to vote? I bet it was him.

Posted by: another Jill caps fan | June 13, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Green has terrific offensive talent but I go crazy throwing money at the guy. He's a liability in his own end and you CAN win without having flashy offensive defensemen as long as you have guys who can move the puck.

Posted by: Jim | June 13, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

That should be I wouldn't go crazy throwing money at Green.

Posted by: Jim | June 13, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS:

Ovechkins missing tooth will be on display with the The Hart Trophy, Lester B. Pearson, Art Ross Trophy, and The Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy.

Fans can take pictures with the tooth.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@ Jim,

Agreed.

Posted by: Jordan | June 13, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

J Schon,

AO looked good in his "Evening Vare"...

Posted by: NJ | June 13, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, OV made the front page of the sports. So did the NBA playoffs. Didn't see much fo the NHL finals on the front page....

I didn't say "Screw Green", but I did say that he's not so completely amazing that he deserves and OV contract or something like that. I hope his brain is wired correctly.

Remember that if someone signs him away for some giant pile, the official cost is giant pile + a 1st round pick in compensation to the Caps.

Posted by: old time hockey | June 13, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm inclined to agree that we should question how much Green is really worth. I've always thought that he didn't do too much in terms of defense, and being able to score goals isn't worth much if you aren't doing your job protecting the net. I'd much prefer to see a solid stay-at-home defenseman. That said, it'd be great to keep Green if he can mature as a player and learn to protect the net before worrying about scoring flashy goals.

Posted by: Anna | June 13, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

No one major will sign until the league states what the actual cap figure will be next season. That won't be for a week at least.

Posted by: Caps 423 | June 13, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I just posted on what I thought was an interesting reaction to the Mike Green news. If you want to join the discussion, c'mon over!

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | June 13, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

old time hockey,

OV didn't make the front page of the sports section, he was on the front page of the ENTIRE newspaper...full color picture standing with all his trophies.

Posted by: stormblue | June 13, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

GOD F-ING DAMNIT MIKE GREEN, YOURE GREEDY, A CHANCE TOPLAY ON A TEAM WITH THE MVP AND A SHOT AT THE CUP ISNT GOOD ENOUGH?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

For RFA's this PAST summer, the compensation was...

$773,442 or less None

$773,442 - $1,171,882 3rd round pick

$1,171,882 - $2,343,764 2nd round pick

$2,343,764 - $3,515,645 1st and 3rd round pick

$3,515,645 - $4,687,527 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$4,687,527 - $5,859,412 Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$5,859,412 or more Four 1st round picks

I think the only way we lose Green is in the last two categories, but at worst we would get a 1st 2nd and 3rd pick back. Those numbers in the scale may slide upwards some for this upcoming FA period.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 13, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

No one can blame Green for trying to get as much dough as possible. Look at Pothier he's 31 and his career might be over, athletes need to make as much money as possible because their careers are so short. We talk about how old Kolzig is when in reality he's only 38. If you're going to retire before you're 40 you better have made a hell of a lot of money and saved up the majority if you want it to last you.

Posted by: DC FURY | June 13, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

There is a nice first person take on the awards ceremony over on theredskate.com by a Caps fan that was at the ceremony last night.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 13, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Compensation by picks is well and good, but how long does it take for a normal defenseman to be NHL ready? So, contingent on actually drafting a player who isn't a dud, the Caps will have to most likely wait 2-3+ years for that d-man to be ready. And how often does a d-man that can skate and stick handle like Green come along?

Hopefully Green is signed by the Caps.

Posted by: Steve R | June 13, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@stormblue,

Right. Sorry. read the paper too early this morning to remove all the placement. IIRC, story is sports 1; picture is A1.

On Green. I agree that Green is entitled to cash in now in case he has a career ending injury 5 months from now, if he chooses to go that way. But, its bad form to go get 2 million more in San Jose (or wherever), over 3 years just for 2 million. 20 million, that 's different. But, given the cap and the gnashing after the Penner fiasco, I doubt Green is going to get that kind of money.

People do it all the time in all lines of work, including pro spots. Drop one employer for another for a few dollars more. Yeah, you'll maximize current dollars but at the expense of long term success. Says a lot about what kind of person you are. I think know we know what kind of person Green is. He's no Ovechkin on or off the ice.

Posted by: old time hockey | June 13, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Steve R

"...how long does it take for a normal defenseman to be NHL ready?"

I know everyone is going to think I'm just trying to flame the thread here, but Green at best Green is classified as a normal NHL ready defenseman. Yes his offensive numbers are amazing, but he can also be a liability in the offensive zone.

If offer sheets come in offering him 5+ million per, I'm not sure I match.

Posted by: Yosh | June 13, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Before we all start assuming Green's going to get some insane RFA offers, you might want to check out this thread over on the message boards. There aren't a whole lot teams that can even make a play for him.

Posted by: b.orr4 | June 13, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Yosh,

Green came in 7th in Norris voting (per Japers). His peers voted him as one of two D-men to the all-star team on the Sporting News (I think that's the right publication). He's only going to get better on the D side of things. You can teach defense, those offensive gifts are rare. Letting Green get away would be a huge mistake. imho.

Posted by: Steve R | June 13, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green is a low-life. I hope he end up playing in LA or Columbus.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

How do we not know that Mike Green isn't 35 million in debt?

Mind your own business!!!

Posted by: Visa | June 13, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

all it takes is one b.orr4

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Is there any YouTubery of Ovie accepting the Hart? I had to attend a work function last night and recorded the awards, but didn't stop to think they might run late...sadly the Hart trophy presentation was cut off. My life is not complete without witnessing this event, even if after the fact.

Gabby was lookin' sharp in his tux!

Posted by: Jill | June 13, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P Tim Russert.

Below is the link to him holding up the Caps Jersey

Posted by: Russert was the MAN | June 13, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

As another South Buffalo native, R.I.P., Mr. Russert. We enjoyed your work on Meet the Press and election nights. Condolences to your family.

Posted by: Joe B | June 13, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Stellar, I made the top of the "apathy list". :-/ Don't get me wrong, I think Mike is a great hockey player. He's strong offensively for a D-man and he's young so he has time to improve his defense. I'm going to be happy when he signs. But if he doesn't come back, I'm not going to make a Mike Green voodoo doll or anything. But with a roster full of great players, there's no need for Green to be everyone's favorite.
Jill: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bNQZq2mzhWg

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 13, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@B.orr4

others in that thread made note of this, but there are far more teams that have enough picks to give in compensation for signing RFA's than what was initially listed. THe popular example is Edmonton. They lost picks in THIS year's draft(08), but have picks for next year's (09) draft to give in compensation if they sign someone.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 13, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

jmu capsgirl (and others quoted on the "crowdnoise" blog): Don't sweat it -- we all know what you meant. The other blog does not consider the context we understand from reading this blog through the lows then highs of last season. Green did a pretty good job for the Caps. I hope he continues to develop as a Caps defenseman, at the right price.

Posted by: uncatim | June 13, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Atta girl JMU.

I'm happy with my away #52 & hope to wear it for years to come.

Posted by: Steve R | June 13, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

If Green wants to be a Cap, then a deal will get done. If he doesn't, then we will have to over pay for him and match an offer sheet. I don't know that he is worth anything over $4.5 mil a year

Posted by: Mike | June 13, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

So Green has one good year and thinks he has the right to hold out. I don't think so. I say let him walk for the big bucks and get a 1st round pick in return. That way we would have enough to sign Federov and Huet and maybe Liles when Free Agency starts.
I can tell you this about Green: If he signs with one of those defensive minded teams, he won't be nearly as successful. The guy wasn't that good until Gabby arrived.

Posted by: GoCaps25 | June 13, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

@Go Caps

It's spelled Fedorov.

Getting rid of Green would free up money for Fedorov, Huet and Liles...? How much do you think Green is signing for? 10.5+ million a year? Gotta figure Huet 4.5-5, Liles 3.5-4, Fedorov 2.5-3. The math doesn't work out.

Posted by: Steve R | June 13, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Hello Caps Fans!

Congrats to Ovie and BB. Backsie should be proud too, yeah!

The whole Green issue, it's just his agent talking, but that's his job. Teams on the rise have to deal with the "Greens" but that is what makes contenders, winners, and dynasties. Jeez, I'm getting ahead of myself, but you guys and gals get the point.

If Green stays, I'll pop the beers and think of Scott Stevens. If not, I'll recall the Greg Joly bust.

p.s. I'm not that old but it is part of Caps history.

Baghdad says Hi!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | June 13, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd say 3.5 to 4.5 M for around 5 yrs. One year just doesn't make a call for the kind of bucks he thinks he's worth (at least from the sounds of it).

Posted by: Greg S. | June 13, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the CBA strikes again. I said this a few years ago and I'll likely keep saying it: With a cap in place, players must take less so that the team isn't top heavy with expensive, hand-cuffing talent. Look at Tampa. They won a cup and sucked ever since because their money was tied up in 4 players, St Louis, Vinny, Richards and Boyle. Getting big money by forcing the team to match a high offer sheet really screws the Caps. Between Ovie, Backstrom, Semin and Greene, this team could eat up cap space fast. Thats, essentially, one line and one dman. Thats what Tampa did, too. I'm disappointed. I thought players these days would take less to play with a great team and win a championship. How many millions do you need at 22? Apparently, its about the money for Mike. Of course this is all just speculation. But if it does go down this way, I'd take the 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Posted by: oo7 | June 13, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Lets get one thing clear... Green is not "holding out"... He entitled to wait until after July 1, to receive offers from anybody.

Maybe the Capitals are playing chicken too, thinking that no one is going to go overboard to sign him.

The reality is that Green is not your typical stay home defender, thats what Schultz, Jurcina, Erskine and Morrisonn are for. Poti and Green are supposed to join the rush when they can or did we forget this in hockey class?

The cavalier attitude by some in here about whether or not we sign Green or not is amazing. I cant figure it out. Green's talent was showcased during the season and in the Worlds. He clearly is one of the top 3 or 4 under 25 defensemen in the game. His weakness? Experience and defense, both of which get better as he matures. Its shocking to read some of you in here think he is easily replaceable? JM Liles? He is going to cost your $3.5M to $4.0M and is 27 and isnt nearly the talent that Green is, defensively they're a wash.

I love Fedorov, but if signing Green to a $5M a year contract is what its gonna take, then sorry Fed's, here is a incentive laden $1M a year contract, Green is part of our future and you're not.

I'd rather have Green and Backstrom, Nylander, Laich and Steckel as my centers than NO GREEN and Fedorov, Backstrom, Nylander and Steckel.

Hanlon has as much to do with the mishandling of Green last year and the beginning of this past year. Dont believe me? Backstrom was on the checking line the beginning of this year.

Green has not just had 1 good year, he has a proven track record of being an offensive force playing against equal talent.

OK, so he might be expensive and he might have to grow into his contract for a year... Its a risk I would take 10 times out of 10 given the factors in front of me. Lets all start thinking like Boudreau and not like Hanlon here.

Posted by: JSchon | June 14, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

JSchon, I don't always agree with you, but you're dead right on this one. The fans who are willing to let Green walk are nuts. Ted and GMGM didn't get where they are by being stupid [although Chief and others would dispute that]. I feel confident that this will all be worked out and Green, Fedorov, Laich and Huet will all be on Kettler ice come training camp.

Posted by: tess | June 14, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I agree on alomost everything you said, but I don't think it was a bad move to put Backs on the checking line to start out with.This happens with ALOT of young rookie talent. It was the best move for the kid to start with.

Posted by: Hanlon | June 14, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Well said JSchon.

I thought Backs started the season as Nyls's wing and moving to checking line center when Bruce arrived. The 3 B line.

oo7,

And how many years before those picks have an impact? How many of the Caps 2006 and 2007 picks have played in the bigs?

Posted by: Steve R | June 14, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I've had this type of conversation with some people in here around the trade deadline. Some people wanted to stand pat, not make any trades, let the youngsters play, Olie is our goalie forever and the Caps arent ready for the Cup...

Look what happened after the trades were made. Win Division, sellout the VC, huge buzz... Its only speculation but I dont know if BB wins the JA w/o the playoffs or even if OV sweeps his without the playoffs.

I dont know, I come from the school that you need to spend money to make money. You have to be smart about it but it has to be done. Look at the good spending a few bucks on Huet, Fedorov and Cooke did for us?

Green 18G 38A regular season
Green 3G 4A play-offs
Green 4G 8A IIHL

Spend the money on Green

Posted by: JSchon | June 14, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Edmondton may have their picks for next year, but they are sitting at $44M cap hit right now with almost $17m tied up in D. I would think some team like Phoenix with a cap hit of under $30M right now might be more likely, especially since most of their D become UFAs after 08/09.

There is also the issue of the level at which compensation changes. Matching at 1,2,3 draft picks compensation would not be that painful. Matching at the 4 1st round picks level would be in terms of Cap, especially since the Caps' cap hit is presently at $40M without any of the RFAs and UFAs. And for any doubters out there, Kolzig is not in the $40M. He doesn't count anywhere.

Four first round picks might be tempting if you had a strong chance of picking in the top 6 every year or at least two of the four years, but that is not likely because teams that add good players get better. (Washington would have been well served to try to pick up someone like that last year since it appears our next four first round picks will not be all that special)

Posted by: Old Bob | June 14, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse