Penguins Fans Win, Then Lose

From the Associated Press:

Hundreds of Pittsburgh Penguins fans got text messages saying they had won four tickets to an upcoming playoff game, but were disappointed to learn the messages had been sent in error.

Team spokesman Tom McMillan says the message was mistakenly sent to 460 fans who entered a recent contest before a game.

Each of the fans already received an automated phone call, explaining the mistake. Team employees also are personally calling the affected fans.

Every fan who got the mixed-up message will receive a gift package including a $25 gift card, a Penguins cap and T-shirt, and two tickets to a regular season game next season.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 6, 2009; 10:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Game 3
Next: Greetings From Pittsburgh

Comments

from previous post:

I haven't read the previous posts so I don't know if this has been mentioned. But I think it is very possible if Fehr can't go tonight, rather than dressing Nylander, we dress 7 D. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I think we should dress Nylander, the way he plays he will be fine playing against the Pens slow skating D. But have a feeling BB might go the D route.

Posted by: ThePat | May 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious.

Posted by: CheckingLine | May 6, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

hahahahah, i think those 460 fans will be happy they stayed home. ...they'd be more dissapointed if they attended in person and got to see the alexO show up close and live!!!!

GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: madmax521 | May 6, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Nylander sucks the heart out of the Caps!

Posted by: majiksea | May 6, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Why cant the Caps mess up like this!!! I want free stuff. With tickets so hard to come by for next year even if those free ones are for a game against the Isles i take them with huge smile on my face

Posted by: QuintenD | May 6, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

ThePat, which D-man do you make playing forward? Only Erskine has practiced there as far as I know. If no Fehr, it's Nylander.

Posted by: koalatek | May 6, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I guess since they only have two home playoff games remaining this year they decided there was no way to make good on the erroneous text.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | May 6, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

i'm sure they'll blame ted for this...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 6, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

If Ted masterminded this, he is my hero.

Posted by: CheckingLine | May 6, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

That sucks, no matter who's fan you are. At least they get a gift bag, thats not bad!

Posted by: NatyBG | May 6, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

If anyone wants to make the drive, you can still get tickets on ticketmaster for the game tonight...

Why are they crying about us locking them out, when they cant sell out the game anyway?

Posted by: SA-Town | May 6, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

SA--I'll make the trip, but I'll need reimbursement for the U-Haul loaded down with 12,000 baby-blue pacifiers...

Posted by: CheckingLine | May 6, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

justbrewit: Watch it again. Kunitz clearly puts a two handed cross check directly to Ovi's face. Not the first Pen player, the second. The first one brought his stick back down, the second (Kunitz) cross-checked him. I watched it frame by frame last night.

This occured in the neutral zone when the puck popped up in the air and OV was the only one tracking the puck.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 6, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

(from previous)

This is sort of off topic, but the game tonight is on Versus right? And the schedules I've seen say that the Bruins game will be too (around the same time). So if I live in Boston am I going to get the Bruins game instead?

Posted by: demodaze | May 6, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

@Sa-Town - Too tempting. Can't do it tonight, though.

Also, funny on the phone call. Makes the 10 PM phone call look innocent. Not that I'd say no to Pens tickets....

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

demodaze, ads I've seen here in MoCo say Caps-Pens followed by Bruins-Canes in progress. Not sure what you'll get in Boston. Check your local paper, the Globe is back in business, right?

Posted by: koalatek | May 6, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

demodaze

Probably going to get the Bruins game in Boston

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 6, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

hahahahaa this is hilarious. Oh man, I would love it if Ted was behind it. Brilliant.

re: if the game is playing on Versus, last time I called them to check on the schedule they were really helpful, but today time they "couldn't verify which game would be on". The automated recording said that the Caps game would be on at 7pm, and Boston would be on at 9:30 EDT so I'm hoping that's true. Or heads will roll. Since I'm in NYC I'm assuming the hype around Caps/Pitts would create a preference for that game but I guess I'll have to see.

As for checking on your area's viewing I would call- 888-255-9233. This is the only Versus number I could find to actually get a human on the phone, you need your zip code and the channel number Versus is in your area. How they can't look that up on their own baffles me, but what can you do. Good luck!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 6, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough :) Thanks folks. I'll try to figure it out, but I'm thinking it might be Bruins. Might have to go to the bar to watch (rats!!)

Posted by: demodaze | May 6, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

1st prize: a set of Pens season tix.
2nd prize: TWO sets...

Posted by: redlineblue | May 6, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha ha ha ha. Take that Pen Fans! I've actually come into this series with an open mind toward Pen fans -- trying to talk with those in attendance and be friendly. I'd say it's been about a 60/40 split between friendly Pen fans and the general d-bag stereo type. I do, however, hope that every clown who posts on the pens blog got duped. Those clowns are the worst!

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | May 6, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

It sucks if you're a Pens fan and thought you were going to the game tonight and instead you have to watch from home. Admittedly, getting some free swag, a $25 card and a free game next year isn't a bad consoloation. Maybe they can make sure those fans get to see the new Stanley Cup Champions (from a small town about 4 hours southwest of Pittsburgh?)

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | May 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse