Pens 4, Caps 3, Shootout

Although Sidney Crosby's shootout goal handed the Caps their fourth straight loss -- the first such streak under Bruce Boudreau -- there was a feeling in the room afterward that this game is one Washington can build off of to end the skid. Even injured captain Chris Clark came into the dressing room to give the team a pep talk and remind his teammates to not get down after the loss.

"I think this was an uplifting game for us and by far the best of the last four," Boudreau said. "We played with passion again. We played with energy and for the most part played within ourselves. You could see everybody was into the game. It wasn't like... the dog days of August in baseball where guys are just in between. Now you see that teams are within single digits (of the Capitals in the standings) and you get a sense of urgency."

Will this be the turning point after losing six of their past 10 games? Maybe, many players said, but with a lengthy stretch against teams jockeying for playoff spots and positioning that's easier said than done.

"Until we win the next game, I (won't) feel that way," Boudreau said.

"Shot ourselves in the foot"
Yes, the Caps bounced back from a two-goal deficit with a strong third period, but they got there by as Mike Green put it, "We kind of shot ourselves in the foot in the first two periods..."

They failed to score during 1:39 of a 4-on-3, which irked Alex Ovechkin. (Pittsburgh, conversely, scored on their 4-on-3 to take a 2-1 lead.)

"I think we play better in third period but the results in shootout it's like lottery," Ovechkin said. "We play well for sure but we didn't score 4-on-3 in first period. It was a kind of situation like we never played before. That situation we have to score. It was a big chance for us."

There were also early defensive miscues that lead to odd-man rushes for the Penguins. Pittsburgh's first goal was a glaring example of that as Bill Guerin and Crosby broke toward the net with Jeff Schultz as the only defenseman back.

"(Tom) Poti stepped up and he shouldn't have stepped up," Boudreau said. "We didn't have any support. We were so anxious. We talked about the D getting up the ice -- sometime your adrenaline in the first four minutes of the game is going like crazy -- he didn't look over his shoulder there was nobody there to support him and consequently a two-on-one."

Third period
The Capitals have made a habit of playing well in the final frame against the Penguins. Washington has outscored Pittsburgh 9-1 in the third period of their four meetings this season.

It was the way Washington came out and took immediate command of the play, scoring two goals in the first 1:18 to pull even at 3 that players turned to when explaining why this game could serve as a building block.

"The last few games we got behind and we dropped our heads and said okay well we'll get them next time," Jeff Schultz said. "Before the third period we addressed that we're this good team out there and we're capable of coming back. That's what we needed to do."

Boudreau said the talk in between periods wasn't anything out of the ordinary, but he made a special point to emphasize the need for traffic in front of Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury.

"They certainly came out," Boudreau said. "We talked about traffic on the power play, the first two we didn't have any, the third we switched it up and we got traffic in front and we scored the goal. That's usually what you need to win, or what you need to score at least."

On the road again
Ten of the Capitals' final 15 regular season games will be on the road, and the team was pretty split as to whether the change of scenery will be a good thing.

"I want to get into the white jerseys," Green said. "We've been in the red ones for a while now. White ones are lucky."

Poti wasn't as excited. "I think we like playing at home in front of the home fans and crowd and sleeping in your own bed."

Facts & Figures
Alexander Semin extended his goal scoring streak to a career high six games. He's also recorded a goal in each game against the Penguins this season and has 14 points in 14 career games against Pittsburgh.

With his assist on Semin's goal, Nicklas Backstrom set a new career high with 70 points on the season.

The Caps have scored at least one power play goal in 15 of the last 18 games, with a 31.4 percent success rate (22 of 70) during that time.

Closing comment
Today's final say goes to Brooks Laich, whose two points gave him a new career high of 38 points (16G, 22A).

"We have to look at this game as a positive cause I think we're on our way back up. We got back to working and tightened up defensively. I think we gave them 20-21 shots. When we were losing we were giving up 34-36. I thought we did a better job; we controlled their top guys. We didn't get the result tonight but I think guys can be happy with their effort."

By Katie Carrera  |  March 8, 2009; 8:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineup (Updated)
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

I love Nick, but at some point this season Brooks Laich deserves an A.

At least the Pens fans in front of us were cool. I hate it when companies buy season tickets. We always know that games against PA teams and NY teams we are going to have opposing fans there.

Someone needs to write a Country song for the Caps to snap them completely into the win column on Tuesday.

Posted by: Kim-3 | March 8, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

In light of Guerin's performance today against the Caps, it would be nice to get an explanation from someone close to (or actually involved in) the negotiation for the deal that would have sent Guerin to DC. Hockeybuzz.com, as well as mainstream, trusted news outlets like CBC and TSN were confident enough that the trade was a sure thing that they went live with news of the seemingly soon-to-be completed deal. The fact that the Pens got Guerin for a conditional draft pick indicates it wouldn't have taken much to get things done.

Not second guessing GM McPhee since we don't know his intentions, but perhaps it wasn't the best move to use our last available contract to pick up Stefan Kronwall off of waivers from Toronto (he is currently playing in the minors; a maximum of 50 contracts are allowed per organization). Had that spot been available, Guerin could (would?) be a Cap now instead of scoring against us. Perhaps it was a salary cap issue that nixed the deal?

So, can someone please give us an explanation of why Guerin is in black and yellow and not Rockin' the Red?

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 8, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

4 in a row.....good thing gmgm didn't mess with team chemistry at the deadline...oh yeah dont worry great teams have lost 4 straight before.....lol

Posted by: wendel2 | March 8, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

totally agreed- brooksy is a leader, and he's the kinda guy who always puts the team before himself. looooove him.

Posted by: jess4caps | March 8, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

That was a very entertaining post Wendel, thank you very much!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 8, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

gee thanks. How much do you make again? Please tell us more.

Posted by: wendel2 | March 8, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Man two in a row, you're on fire!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 8, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Laich is the absolute model of a team leader.Worries about guts and grit not the glory. He should be wearing the c or at least an a

Posted by: wendel2 | March 8, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey you didn't start your last comment with a capital letter. Isn't that a error according to Professor Wendel?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 8, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wendel2 | March 8, 2009 8:34 PM

i think it should be the C - they've gone long enough without a clear cut leader on the ice. as good as OV is - i'm not sure he has the drive to get on others that are not playing up to their potenial. i don't know if that could be brooks - but someone needs to step and take on that roll on the ice

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 8, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

@MetalCapsFan,
The Caps couldn't have acquired Guerin for a draft pick because they ave 50 players on the team or in the system with NHL contracts (which is the max). The Caps also do not have the salary cap space to have taken on Guerin's salary without giving up a player making at least $2M or more. That is why the Caps couldn't have acquired Guerin in a similar deal, whether they wanted to or not.

Posted by: StikSav | March 8, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

RE: Guerin

To me, the reason this team didn't make any moves was Pothier's progression. He's got only a few weeks in Hershey before we have to bring him up here. If he plays symptom free, then we have some major decisions ahead of us.

Posted by: FFSEnough | March 8, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wendel2 | March 8, 2009 8:22 PM

wendel2, a quick suggestion for you. Go look at the Detroit Red Wings record in February 2008.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | March 8, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I love Backis but I do not think he is ready to be a captain. Nor do I ever think he could be. He is a humble team player, to the point he seriously thinks that his successes have always been a result of the people around him. Until he realizes it was his talent that got him plucked from ponds in Mackmyra to playing in the NHL he will always be too shy to play.

I like Laich, but I think Ovie will mature and eventually evolve into leader form.

Posted by: trunkenmath | March 8, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd still like to have a healthy Chris Clark. Despite his production was poor you've got to admit the Caps played very well towards the end of December and most of January when Clark was healthy. He and Brooks bring great leadership

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | March 8, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Cripes, it sounds pretty sindy in here. Anyone interested to talks about the game?
The Caps looked like a -team- again. Is Fehr defying physics and actually getting slower? Is Semin turning back into that guerilla backcheck tornado we've seen sometimes?

Posted by: redlineblue | March 8, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hated to see them lose that one, it certainly was an exciting game, and the house was rockin'. Was surprised to see Ovie on the SO - I would have preferred Backs or Fed. And the #1 star for Sid? Please. It probably should have gone to MAF. Anyway, I agree with Brooksie - they are on their way back up. I will be ready for Tue - bring it on!

Davethecapsfan:
"Has there been a SC07 post since we tied it?"
Isn't that a little bit like saying Beetlejuice?!?

828:
I saw ya rockin' the weagle (or at least I assume it was you?) - well played, sir!

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Semin has been playing like a mad man lately!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 8, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

redlineblue:
Yup - the 3rd period Caps were the team that we all fell in love with. That was exciting hockey and I am confident that there will be more to follow.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I think it is cool that Chris came into the locker room after the game, but quite frankly I think the leader(s) were already there.

Ovi is great, but there is just something about Laich that speaks leader. I would be curious to see though if the team sees it that way or if Brooks is just good in front of the camera.

Not sure who I would sit if Clark can play at some point this season. Honestly, if we make it to the second round that would mean that the team was running pretty hot. Might be kinda hard to give someone the old bench treatment then. Just saying...

I agree that Nick does not seem to relish the leader role. However, there is nothing better than that look he gets when he is on. Kinda like the little blonde baby faced assasin.

Posted by: Kim-3 | March 8, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey StikSav, thanks for the clarification on Guerin's cap hit. Realizing the Caps didn't have any available contracts left to give, it seems curious that the media outlets would have pegged DC as his destination. That would mean a deal involving players (and draft picks?) was proposed so that Guerin would have been able to come here. Just curious as to who would have gone the other way. It's all over and done with now, but it'd be cool to know what the situation was and why it didn't come to fruition.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 8, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Also loved seeing Jurcina knock out the glass with a big hit. I remember last year Chris Clark joked that they should parade Milan through the opposing locker room to scare someone. I thought it was funny that Cooke was coming in to get in the scrum, took one look and saw it was Jurcina, and bagged out.

Of course, he could have just been in shock!

Posted by: Kim-3 | March 8, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95, I agree, he's been awesome! I gotta say, I was holding my breath when Laich got that breakaway. Pops was cursing the Pitt D for being sloppy and I was reassuring him nothing would happen since he sucks at them. And then voila!

As far as the captaincy debate goes, I honestly don't know if I want Ovi with a C. If & when Clark gives it up, I think we need someone else with it on, and let Ovi have his A. Brooks might be a good candidate if he's half as good a leader in the locker room as he sounds to the media. Let Ovi do his thing without being captain. I doubt the C would change anything, but I'd be okay if he didn't have the pressure that comes from it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 8, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
I am OK with Ovi getting the C, I just don't think he HAS to have it RIGHT NOW. But I agree with what you and others have said about Laich - he seems to be a leader and deserves at least an A.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

@Jmu

Yeah when he got the pass and the first move almost lost it, I was like, Omg No! Them bam, back of the net. I got a little nervous for a second, haha

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 8, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Just as an FYI for future inquiries, nylander's contract not being moved in conjuncture with a 50 man roster is what killed any trades for us.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

That probably won't work Phil.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

There was a rumor some people would be handing out pacifiers before the game. Did they do it?

I heard from Pens' hotel that one of the players forgot something there: http://www.lolcaps.net/

Posted by: condalator | March 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Has there been a better stick lifter in the NHL in the past two weeks than Semin? His backchecking has been phenominal!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 8, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

semin looks more and more like a datsyuk every game.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Semin should carry the C right now as he embodies the Cap's ability to do amazing things, and then to leave you staring bewildered at the screen. Cheering, then shaking your head and crying in your beer.

Plus I mean c'mon look at the Penguins, anyone can wear a C

Posted by: austinsteve | March 8, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

How about Semin for captain?
Also I guess the Isles liked that the Penguins' picks would be lower than the Capitals' same round pick.

Posted by: abcdefghijklm | March 8, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm kidding

I don't drink beer.

No, Semin doesn't leave me crying in my beer. But he's better as a forCe of nature than a C

Posted by: austinsteve | March 8, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@hey freakijng the wings have won the cup and therefore understand battling back from adversity. My point is that i dont think the caps have proven they can thus the concern about not being capable of it
the leafs have lost 4 just like the wings but i dont see them winning the cup either this year

Posted by: wendel2 | March 8, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abcdefghijklm | March 8, 2009 9:51 PM

This is also true. Given that we or that certain team does not win the Cup, our picks are going to be lower than every team except NJ, SJ, and DET.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Semin continues to lead the league in points per minute (minimum 30 games played), and in +/- per game (minimum 30 games played).

Look it up.

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 8, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

At idiot puckheaded1: So you feel like you can talk all this crap now huh? First of all, the Pens have been stuggling for how long? And they're finally turning it around. The Caps have hit a slump, yes, but they are going to be fine, every team will hit one, but your team was in a slump for like the whole season until 5 games ago. The Pens are still below us so keep talking. Your team has been struggling for a MUCH longer time than us. But it's okay, I know this is the FIRST time where you can feel on top of the world and talk trash, cause you're on a 5 game winning streak, WHOO! Go and play toys with your lover Cindy.

bwahahahahaahahahaah

Posted by: rachel216 | March 8, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

way to take the loss gracefully rachel

Posted by: wendel2 | March 8, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

i didn't see the Caps winning the Cup this year either, what a coincidence wendel.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

If u say so fill

Posted by: wendel2 | March 8, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

so did the pens fans celebrate outside of the museum again like they did last year? ugghhh.. that's just the epitome of class.

Posted by: jogabonito | March 8, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

It was like a playoff game atmosphere. The only difference is that playoff games (at least for now) are not settled by a skills competition. I'll take 3-0-1 against the Pens every year.

Posted by: CindyJennings | March 8, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Not sure where this is coming but I'm actually starting to agree with a few of Wendel's points, just please don't bring up Laing...

Posted by: superpaqman | March 8, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

superpaqman:
Laing would help our PK ... ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Awwwwwwwwww Boo....party foul. Although if he were to come up he could wear a C made of his fake teeth

Posted by: superpaqman | March 8, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

superpaqman:
Poor Lainger! I always feel bad for him when he is interviewed before he has a chance to put his teeth in. LAING FOR CAPTAIN!!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Semin's goal was the highlight of the night on NHL On The Fly.

Posted by: fnralch | March 8, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, AMENx2. THe shootout's a travesty, an unhockey answer to a hockey question. But I'd try Flash these days before Ovechkin.

If Laich's C style is the one this team needs, why can't 8 just be 8? I think if this team taps its inner Laich, almost anything's possible. But, comprised mostly of humans, the Caps roster has no inner Ovechkin to tap. He's a full-on Freak, and the A might fit better for years yet.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 8, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

edgy, different, and so unique.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

redlineblue, I don't even know what to say to that. It was surprisingly deep, yet in the comic book sort of way that shouldn't make any sense, but does.

Caps fans on PuckDaddy:

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 8, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

is that WhyGo? With his patented 8 balls?

hes younger than i thought.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

Pens have been struggling? Last I checked they have won 6 in a row and made it to the Cup Finals LAST SEASON. (I won't mention the two Cups the Pens have won compared to the Caps 0 Cups; that Ovie has never made it past the first round of the playoffs, while Crosby was tied for playoff scoring last season; or the Caps historical record against the Pens in the playoffs 1-6).

Sounds to me like rachel216 is a bandwagoner who doesn't know anything about the Caps/Pens rivalry (if you want to call mostly Pens domination over the years that) to date. So great knowing the Pens, and specifically Sid, have the LAST LAUGH until these two teams meet again.

I'm glad you Caps fans bought those pacifiers, because now you can SUCK IT!

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 8, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

hockey, man.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1: go back to your pensblog and get a life. jeez.

Posted by: jogabonito | March 8, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Just came home from the game... what a blast! - I should be pissed by the loss but the game was good and the VC was rocking. Man, if the Caps had won in OT the whole place would have erupted, I saw Pens fans covering their ears after the 3-3 goal. Even my gf was jumping and screaming and texting like crazy for the HD screen haha. What a blast :D

Awesome third period by the Caps, even Schultz played well (although he was the worse player on the ice the first two periods. And on 2 on 1s you always cover the pass, that goal was on him).

If the Caps can play like in the third period next two games, this slump will be over.

Posted by: mauree | March 8, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

was a very good game.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

@superpukeman Laings hurt so relax

Posted by: wendel2 | March 9, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Plus he is a ufa at years end so he wont be with the caps

Posted by: wendel2 | March 9, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Semi sensible, but with Comic-book depth. Uh, have we met?

hey, "P"uckhead. Were you yippin too? Hard to hear you across most of the Eastern Conference, you know?
Things that have happened since Pens won Cup: The
Tampa Bay Lightning have won a Cup. Lindsay Lohan has been sober. Heck, who'd blame you for dwelling on last year (aka Sports History)? Everyone knows the future is Ours.

Too beautiful:

>>>hockey, man.
Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 11:41 PM

Posted by: redlineblue | March 9, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Mauree, you've got a 55 fetish! Stuff like >>" that goal was on him" ignores Poti's bad play, The Case of the InvisibleBackcheck , and the fact hockey's a team sport.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 9, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

ok, let's see what's happened since the Caps won a Cup. well since it's never happened, for starters: fire was discovered, the wheel was invented, man learned to fly planes... i'm sure you get the message

it's so much fun (and easy) torturing Caps fans with inferiority complexes (who channel that energy towards making fun of Sid). you all make it so easy. lord knows Pittsburgh has been doing it long enough, it's become a pastime!

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 9, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of a team sport, the Caps have played like desperate individuals trying to win the game one player at a time. That was the story for a lot of the first two periods. The third period is the team game the Caps should have been playing for the last couple weeks. When the Caps play their system, they can beat anyone. When they play out of their system, they can be beat by anyone. The Caps have enough talent and a great system to go far in the playoffs, but they just gotta play their game. They need a captain change to a leader who is in the lockerroom, on the bench, and on the ice. Clark has been injured too long.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 9, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Crosby, Guerin, Kunitz or Ovechkin, Kozlov,Semin for post season ?

I wonder which line BB would choose if he was neutral.

Posted by: Cheef | March 9, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

@p(h)uckheaded1:

For anyone to back up a guy who sucker punches another player in the sac and then sucker punches another guy after pulling the guy's sweater over his head, must be some classless piece. Take the win, dude. Just realize that the second the Caps win a Stanley Cup and it's very likely they will, all your silly arguments will go poof.

The Caps just got started with getting back into their groove. The Pitts had their groove and we're just finishing ours. The last two periods we got our mojo back.

You guys won a shootout. Prior to that, we matched up toe-to-toe. A shootout. That's like you guys winning a game on a coin toss. Still, enjoy your one win against the Caps this year. Despite the Pitts win, you still have to man the drive-through today. That would explain your zeal in the Pitts' wins 'cause apart from that, what else is there to celebrate in your life? Pfft. You're dismissed.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 9, 2009 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Phil:
I think WhyGo (and Kirk, maybe?) were having an exchange one day saying that they were born in 59. So, if that's the case, either that is not him or he is very well preserved (think Austin Powers).

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 9, 2009 6:06 AM | Report abuse

@ puckheaded1,
Capitals never won SC, so? Focus on today!
All this "in your face crap" about never winning the Cup is a glory hunter staff - drop it.

Congratz to Backis, hes improving both offensivly and defensivly.

Posted by: Hazz | March 9, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

F-Beans, was it me or did Sha-one look like a crack-head having a seizure when he got deeked in front of Theo, why did u back all the way in, when you had help, that was ra-tarded! good game but, I hope we get our S together before the post season! I guess i got spoiled when we were kicking A and taking names in the phone booth, C'mon guys lets get that Fire back, its so much more fun at vc when you guys are winning! I know you cant win them all but "just do it" "do it". ok i cant resist any longer, to all the "arrogant better than thou pitt fans, efff you!... sorry Tarik, that should get em going. LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!! oh and to any replys from pitts fans in advance see third line north! bwaaaaaahhhhhh!... and i did it with out bashing sissy crysby oooopps.

Posted by: TracyMD1 | March 9, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

All the talk is.....about "focusing on today", when Pen fans bring up playoffs/SCF's etc, etc.
But i still read about what Crosby did 3 months ago.

Hello Kettle,
Call me,
Black.

Posted by: akus2 | March 9, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

What is it about Pittsburgh fans? They just spew back, without ever thinking, incorrect propaganda that has no actual relations to reality. Overheard yesterday:

"Ovie can't score because he's too busy headhunting Malkin!" (Really? are we watching the same game?)

"Brashear is scared of Scuderi!" (huh?)

"O!" (Seriously. You're wearing a PENGUINS jersey and shouting out the O in the natioanl anthem? REALLY?! No, just, no.)

"I bet you're not even from Washington!" (That would be the delightful, obviously well-bred Pittsburgh fan--btw, 1998 called, it wants its bleach blond spiked hair back--who also called me a b-witch. Look, buddy, you're obviously just jealous that I didn't have to flee that sorry excuse of a crumbling town that crushes the soul with alarming regularity. I'm local, proud of it, and have never once in my life rooted for another hockey team. So take your ignorance back to the hills of western PA, ok?)

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 9, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Every day people complain about Jeff Schultz. So I almost hate to make another "I hate Jeff Shultz" comment - as people have been ripping on him all year.

But I have to ask... Why is everyone - including JP - singing his praise after this game? I think this was one of his WORST games of the season. He BADLY misplayed that 2 on 1 by doing nothing but backing into Theodore. He should have taken away the pass. Granted this was the only goal he was on the ice for and Poti was nowhere in sight, but it was just a terrible play and it really stuck with me all game. There were quite a few tense moments with Schultz on the ice yesterday and I don't think it should go without being mentioned.

Posted by: freakinjoe35 | March 9, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

MY STs are in 118 so I am behind the opossing goalie only once per game but I must say that when we come down the ice I hardly ever see anyone stationed in the crease. We seem to get a lot of one and away shots. We need a steady presence in front of the Opp goalie. Where is Dino or Dale when we really need them!
GO CAPS

Posted by: CapCenterholdover | March 9, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@akus2:

The difference is that Mr. Crosby's actions 3 months ago are indicative of the type of player he is, barring his athletic skills. They're relevant in that he's taking the moral high ground that isn't his to begin with. His actions on the ice compared to Ovechkin's "disrespectful" celebrations on the ice don't even compare and yet he has the audacity to pretend he's morally better than him.

I agree, though, let's focus on the games ahead. Still, if a troll comes here and attempts to again defend the honor of their princess, someone needs to correct them. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@ CAPCENTERHOLDOVER good point, i agree also it reminded me when Gonch scored, Theo was screened by Billy G, why arent we cleaning out the crease, someone should have had Mr. Gueiren getting up looking out his ear hole!! Caps D go back and watch Scott Stevens films in the day! he stood in the crease on the pp and he kept real clean for his Goalie, just neeed to get a little more physical in that area just my 2 cents!thats all im worth, i havent been stimulated yet!!! LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: TracyMD1 | March 9, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Amazing to mock the City Of Pittsburgh and it's fans. Talk about classless.
But let's talk hockey. Anyone see Green fake the high stick hit, which led to two goals? Anyone notice Crosby had the winning goal? Anyone notice Crosby has already won a scoring title and is 2nd this year with several less games played than OV? And lastly, the pitiful demonstrations on the Crosby mocking are downright silly and incredibly childish. I guarantee anyone who made those signs, etc, never played hockey in their lives, and only know how to pound on glass at a game, outside looking in. Lets end with the fact that the Caps embellish more than any team I've seen in a long time....but you won't find the mocking and heckling in Pittsburgh, we just like hockey more than childish behaviors, and we have an incredible amount of respect for skilled hockey players like OV.

Posted by: sayankee | March 9, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse