Posted at 6:00 PM ET, 02/14/2011

Open thread: Capitals at Coyotes

By Washington Post Sports Editors

logologo The Washington Capitals (29-17-10) visit the Phoenix Coyotes (29-19-9) in need of a win, not only in terms of collecting points but also to establish a good start to a critical five-game, 10 day road trip.

"We've got to build a run," veteran Mike Knuble said after the morning skate. "We haven't been on a run in awhile. I think it's good for the overall mentality of the team to build a run, build some confidence the last 25 games."

Faceoff: 8 p.m., Jobing.com Arena; TV: VERSUS; Radio: 1500 AM

Update: 7:37 p.m. EST
Mike Green did not take warm-up at Jobing.com Arena for tonight's tilt against the Coyotes and will not be in the Capitals lineup tonight. Green played on Saturday in the 4-1 loss to Los Angeles, his first game back after being struck in the head by a slap shot on Feb. 6 against Pittsburgh.

Based on that and warm-ups here's what the lineup should look like against Phoenix:

Forwards

Goal
Neuvirth
Varlamov

Scratches: Mike Green and D.J. King

By Washington Post Sports Editors  | February 14, 2011; 6:00 PM ET
Categories:  Lineups, Phoenix Coyotes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: With 25 games left, Capitals keeping an eye on the standings
Next: Mike Green scratched in Phoenix with undisclosed injury

Comments

The game is on Versus, not the NHL Network. It's a Versus national game.

Posted by: 1995hoo | February 14, 2011 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Caps. Play up to your potential tonight. I used to drink ice cold tasty Sam Adams during the games but have been forced to drink that bitter tasting goat's blood of late and I'm sick of it.

Also, after reading an entry from Ted's blog today, there is no real chance of any change in the team. The discussion centered around how great the defense is playing(third in the East)and how the only problem our offense has is the power play and that, once it produces, all of our offensive struggles will be corrected. Wow-they must be servings Kettler Kool-aid at the snack bar now!

Posted by: AADCDERM | February 14, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

some one needs to post TALKS CHEAP in the Caps dressing room.......they all have the answers but not the fortitude to get it done.........another lack of credible quotes from the captain...what a joke that is

Posted by: wendel2 | February 14, 2011 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Erskine isnt a top 4 kind of guy. I don't think you can replace a top 1-2 gay with a 5-6 guy

Posted by: CapsBaby

I knew that about Schultz, but I thought Green was straight?

-----------------------
Russian Vodka, and the 21 year old girls in Arlington...

Posted by: CapsBaby |
-----------------------

If we push that in the offseason, we could land any FA we wanted. I may have to come out of retirement.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Versteeg is a Flyer.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Caps win 3-2. Lets hope so anyway. Otherwise this board will resemble Gettysburg. - CST

At this point, I care less about winning than about getting a strong effort with a high energy level. I'd like to seem some indication that these guys care.

Posted by: zmega | February 14, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I think it's good for the overall mentality of the team to build a run
------------------------------------------

Thank you Capt Obvious.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Kettler Kool-aid:

1) 2 shots Stoli vodka
2) fill glass with "Rock the Red" cherry Kool-aid
3) top with soft whipped cream and sprinkle with red jimmies (or chimmies)
4) serve at room temperature because it is too much effort to crash the fridge and keep it cold
5) if customer complains about bad taste left in mouth from drink, come up with 5 reasons why the drink could taste better but don't do anything to make it better.

Posted by: AADCDERM | February 14, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Are the Caps going to do anything? Philly picking up Versteeg for more depth.

Where's the 2nd line center we desperately need?

Posted by: topshelf | February 14, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Philly is gonna be tough.

More balanced scoring. Whoops. Let's hope if we get in, we don't have to play them first round.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | February 14, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Are the Caps going to do anything? Philly picking up Versteeg for more depth.

Where's the 2nd line center we desperately need?

Posted by: topshelf

What are you talking about? Didn't you read Ted's Take. All we need to do is fix the PP.

What he failed to mention is to fix the PP, we need new players and a new coach.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega

bro, i bin sayn dat for goin on several yrs now.

Instead of getting caught up in reg season win/loss records, this team has to give out a consistent hard effort on at least 4 of 5 nights. Every team is allowed to give a 50% effort in 20% of the games. Because you'll still win some of those.

Playing consistently hard hockey will reduce the # of times this team has to get quoted in the WaPo saying the same ole garbage about "we need to come out strong to start the game"

and contrary to popular myth, this team DID NOT play hard last season. Not hard enough anyway. They had to make up for many slow starts to hockey games with a furious effort in the 3rd pd. The bad habit seed was planted long before this year's losing streak.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 6:32 PM | Report abuse

The Flyers who are the best team in the East and have the most depth go out and get a guy who just won a Cup. Yet is still a young guy. That equals brilliant move. If you ask me they have the perfect mix of players. They just improved their chances and showed their fan base they will do whatever it takes.

Posted by: ThePat | February 14, 2011 6:33 PM | Report abuse

And in the past, McPhee and Ted could point to their "proven" process of slow and steady build from within philosophy and enough fans/media would swallow that garbage.

Now, the fans appear to be more picky about what garbage they are willing to swallow. Much to the owner's chagrin.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

"i'd love Backes but you don't usually find a forward who has youth on his side and and leads his team in points and hits. That's like Owen Nolan/Keith Tkachuk/Rick Tocchet territory"

@cstanton1

You forgot to include Ovechkin in your list of names of people who fit in that territory.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

btw, this past offseason i said, in order for the Caps to take the next step, they have to be WILLING to accept a less impressive reg season record. Because the changes necessary to turn this team into a more balanced team will also have the unintended consequence of a more middle-of-the-pack team. Longterm fans will understand this.

that's where we are now. I don't think this team is worse-suited for the playoffs than last year's team.

In fact, I'd say we're marginally better suited for the playoffs this year.

Last yr we had to hope for a more balanced system to pay attention to the defensive side of the game. Just player acquisitions wasn't going to be enough.

This year, we just need 2 or 3 players to make us a probably 2nd round team. Or at least give a really great effort against a very good 1st round opponent.

so all is not dire my prettys. I look at this season so far as a step FORWARD.

yall need to adjust your way o thinkin. This koolaid tastes like copper and smells like iron.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

I didn't forget fatso. The difference between Ovy and the guys I mentioned is that those guys ALWAYS played with a big chip on their shoulder. There was no disappearing act in Tocchet's game. As a rookie or as an 18 yr vet, he was an unpleasant player to play against. Ditto a Gary Roberts.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

A 1st and 3rd for Versteeg. Does anyone remember what Burke traded to acquire Versteeg?

Philly is a very deep team right now. I still wonder if they make a trade to try to acquire a veteran goalie. They have no cap room though, so they really can't make any more moves unless they get rid of salary.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of the change in balance/system, the team still has to play hard to have success. In fact, it's probably even more important under the new approach to play hard consistently. There were times last year when the team did not play hard, but lots more of them this year IMO.

Posted by: zmega | February 14, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

forwards Viktor Stalberg, Philippe Paradis and Christopher DiDomenico is what Toronto traded for him.

I dont see Philly trading for a goalie...remember they can always bring up Leighton for the playoffs.

Posted by: ThePat | February 14, 2011 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Carcillo gets dumped by the Flyers now. There is no way the can re-sign him for next year, I wonder if they try to trade him for something in return. It would likely be to a Western Conference team if they do it.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 6:53 PM | Report abuse

totally agree zman. Because in order to win this year, they HAVE to play harder. Which means, they should be better prepared for playoff hockey.

but i'll disagree with you on last yr v this year. I think this year they've already played harder overall than they did all of last year.

This is a transition yr for this team. And I hope they keep down this path. I've already seen marked improvement this yr in Alzner and MaJo. Both players have been forced to develop quickly and get upto the NHL pace of games and intensity. That would not have happened if we were coasting thru our games with a 20 min effort like we did last year.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

Do you think those players worth more or less than the 1st and 3rd round pick Toronto is receiving? I'm just curious to see if Burke made a gain by trading for Versteeg to have him for a year or if he ended up losing value.

I don't really know anything about the guys you mentioned so I am curious on others take on the matter.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

Agree. They are a very dangerous team. At the rate we are going, we could play them in round 1.

Somebody put an APB out for George McPhee. Probably at the Polo store in Georgetown buying more scarves.

The love th

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Great trade for Philly.

Good trade for Burke. But until he turns those picks into actual players, jury is out.

The Caps probably showed "interest" but didn't offer anything of value.

In the past I've heard details on some potential trades that never went down for the Caps. I can safely say, that they didn't come close to offering anything of value and therefore should not have expected those trades to materialize.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Caps better win or I'm going to change my name to DoomAndGloom and be the doomiest gloomiest guy on this messageboard.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans = Cairo uprising
Let's unseat this Cap 'government'.
New Gen. Mgr...new Coach...NOW !!

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 14, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so a couple of deals have been made now involving guys that could help change the character of the locker room among other things. We could definitely have used a guy like Versteeg and/or Fisher! I wonder if GMGM even made an inquiry on either?

I know it's been said ad nauseum, but does mgmt. really think we have all the pieces? Have they NOT been watching what has transpired in the last 5 months (or really since Montreal)?

This is getting frustrating. Caps mgmt. is not showing us that they will do what it takes to win a cup now. And neither are the players. Period. Jeeeezus!

Posted by: sca187 | February 14, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse

lol cairo uprising, love it.

except it would go down like Tianeman Square.

So lets recap..

all the players we talked about last trading deadline went to other teams

all the players we talked about as FA this past offseason went to other teams

so far this trade deadline has seen Mike Fisher and Versteeg go to other teams.

Wanna guess how the rest of the trading will go down?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sca187

I agree. It has become absurd. Every day I hope to see signs of improvement, every night I am disappointed.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Remember how 3 short yrs ago everyone was writing the Flyers off as burned pot roast?

Amazing what a good GM can do. In a very short amount of time.

Coburn
Pronger
Hartnell
Timmonen
Versteeg
Laperriere
Asham
Powe
O'Donnell
Carcillo (although I wouldve hesitated to trade Upshall)
Shelley (sure seems like a better NHL option than does King)

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

--undies--

he's just out there offering dirt for gold and then wondering why no one is biting. A GM who constantly overvalues his own players and picks is not going to be effective in the trade markets.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:15 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

In a typical year I'd say Burke got more, but hard to say with this year's draft class. Been told its one of the weaker ones in years so it might be a push.

Posted by: ThePat | February 14, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Yes, it is amazing what a good GM can do. They should be tweaking and making moves continuously to make the team BETTER. Hmmmm, I wonder what the undertaker is doing?

Keeping his cards close to the vest?

Waiting to see how things "shake out" with other teams?

Staying well under the cap?

Talking to the Sens about Spezza (PLEASE NO! Not another cancerous locker room piece!)

Vacation?

Getting a discount on April tee times?

I think I just threw up in my mouth...

Posted by: sca187 | February 14, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

--undies--

Posted by: cstanton1

Then one would think the UFA market would be a better option. Maybe Georgie hasn't figured that one out yet either.

Two more years of Tom Potty!

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Kettler Kool-aid:

1) 2 shots Stoli vodka
2) fill glass with "Rock the Red" cherry Kool-aid
3) top with soft whipped cream and sprinkle with red jimmies (or chimmies)

Posted by: AADCDERM | February 14, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

LOL Awesome!! I may have to steal that recipe for my favorite discussion board.. That is, if we need it tonight..

Posted by: mickstix | February 14, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Ted, fix the PP and the rest will follow:
(reposted from earlier thread)

Don't fire anyone and don't make an "example trade". I think if you fix the PP, confidence will follow and passion will be a side effect. I'm no expert, but in a season of futility there are a couple of things I would try. A) Take Ovie off of the point. He's a winger, let him play wing. Green, Carlson, Alzner, and Hannan are all athletic enough and skilled enough at "puck moving" to play the naturally-defensive role on the PP. B) This may not matter as much as I think it does, but it seems most of the 5-man PP units thrown out there are very right-handed heavy, often 4 out of the 5 (Green, Ovie, Knuble, Semin with Backs being the exception). Throw out some lefties, it opens up completely different shooting and passing lanes, especially at the point, and C) Play the mutts on the PP more. If PP productivity is as much about hustle as BB says it is (which I also believe) then put the guys who ARE hustling out there. This would include putting Stecks at center. I know Backs is a good faceoff guy, but Stecks is the best in the league, so use that to your advantage, and most nights I think Stecks would give you the "hustle factor" I'm advocating as well. Finally, make some/all of these changes and stick with it for four or five games. I think a little consistency is needed as well. Come up with two defined units, mixing in more lefties and hustle guys, Ovie on the wing taking normal shifts (not the entire PP) and stick with it for a week or two. I'll admit, the time to do this might have been a month ago, but it ain't working so it's time to do SOMETHING.

Posted by: ajtrue78 | February 14, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Another year of Semin - the "character" guy this locker room needs! YES!

Sorry for you Semin lovers, but really... He's definitely got talent, but zero character. He seems like a guy Edmonton would covet. Would you take Semin and his $6.7M contract even for a year? Who would?

WE NEED A CHARACTER MAKEOVER!!!

Posted by: sca187 | February 14, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

you see Chiarelli's comments? He said that the Bruins are definitely going to be active. I think he truly sees this year as being their best chance to compete and he's going to go for it. Including dangling the draft pick he got from the Leafs in the Kessel trade.

I like the fact Chiarelli said that. He couldve played it safe and not said anything. But now he's put some pressure on himself to make some deals.

As long as we live, we'll never hear that from McPhee. That way when his trades fall thru, he doesn't have to answer for it. He just says they liked what they had on their team and saw no reason to change anything up.

He's a con man.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:26 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Good one about the board resembling Gettysburg if the Caps don't win. You are right about that!

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 14, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Re-post:
Tough to "teach a lesson" to a millionaire pro by benching him 'cause then he'll collect his paycheck without even working for it. A "kick in the butt"..? how so? another f-bomb tongue-lashing? We're seeing that that tactic doesn't work anymore because apparently neither the players nor the coaching staff believe in what they've been asked to do.
Coach Boudreau became successful with an offensive system. Most of the Caps players became successful by being offensive players. Now, both, the coach and the players have been asked to adapt to a system in which neither is adept in. The coach certainly knows that defensive hockey is not his forte. He was promoted to the NHL based on his success with his offensive system. He turned the franchise around with his system. It worked.
The players weren't drafted based on their defensive prowess. They were all high picks based on their offensive talents. Most were goal scorers. It worked.
The coach is teaching/coaching a system that he apparently doesn't believe in. The players are not adapting to it, and certainly not buying it, because that's not what they have done throughout their careers, and have now become below average players.
IMO, let Coach Boudreau coach his system. Let the players skate to their abilities and utilize their offensive talents. And IF, and emphasis on IF, McPhee can get the missing pieces -the defensive defensemen and wingers- we should be back to normal.
Can it be done?

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 14, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

Intersting that Chiarelli said that. Doesnt surprise me at all. Also of note to that is Kaberle has apparently agreed to waive his NTC and could be moved any day.

Posted by: ThePat | February 14, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

-----------

Semin may be a good fit for a team who has all the character in the world but just needs a little more offensive help...think the Flames team who went to the Cup v Tampa.

That team is the kind of team that could really benefit from a Semin. They don't need him to do anything else except be fancy in the offensive zone. The rest of the team needs to be good enough to cover any deficiencies in his game.

If we want him out of the conference you could look at Dallas or MN.

Clutterbuck Tom?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

thepat

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli has made it clear Boston will be active at the NHL trade deadline.

With cap space, a coveted first round draft pick and some movable pieces, Chiarelli said the Bruins are in decent shape leading up to the February 28th deadline.

“In the real world, I’d like to add without subtracting,” Chiarelli said on his weekly call into 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher and Rich.

One way to do that is creating a package around Toronto’s first round pick, acquired in the Phil Kessel trade. Last year the Bruins received the second overall pick from Toronto, used to select Tyler Seguin.

Any deal involving the pick would have to bring in a big-name talent.

“It’s a valuable pick so it would have to be a valuable asset coming back,” Chiarelli said.

Although he would not get into any specifics, Chiarelli told T&R there is currently a deal on the table involving the draft pick, but nothing is imminent. With three weeks left until the deadline, other deals could soon find their way to the table as well.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Clutterbuck would be just the shot of character and grit this team needs. It would be a start anyway...

Posted by: sca187 | February 14, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Hendricks will probably have 5 hits, a fight, and a point tonight.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

How old is Shane Doan now? 45? He seems like he's going to play forever.

I remember when Shane Doan and Jason Doig were considered equal jewels of the Winnipeg franchise.

lol

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 14, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

No Mike Green tonight

Posted by: griz0615 | February 14, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

how come there's no mention of Green not playing on here??

Posted by: joek443 | February 14, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Road to the Cup will definitely pass through Philly this year. Way to get that 1st round pick back, Toronto.

I wonder if any respectable 2C would even want to join this team right now. Team appears to be on the brink of implosion.

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | February 14, 2011 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Vogs tweeted no MG52 for tonight about 10 minutes ago.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 14, 2011 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Well kiddies, I got an early morning and frankly, when if I could sleep in, I refuse to watch this trainwreck any longer. I just peek in to see if BB and GMGM have been canned, so I can think about maybe watching these overpaid bums.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 14, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

The entire VS studio crew might as well wear Penguins jerseys during their broadcasts. They just did a 10 minute analysis of the Pens v Isles fight from Friday night and everyone concluded that in every instance in that game, the Isles player was in the wrong. Gillies, Martin, and the AHL call up--all criminals. Cooke, Talbot, Godard, B. Johnson--all victims of circumstance. Disgusting, then again, we are talking about national media. We don't actually cling to any expectation of fair coverage, eh?

Posted by: nomarjax01 | February 14, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Bummer-no Green. Perhaps they should pair Shultz and Sloan and we'll all feel that the defense is complete.

Posted by: AADCDERM | February 14, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, everyone, calm down. I can absolutely guarantee that we will see an historic Washington win tonight.

MASN has Strasburg's first game on.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | February 14, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Please make Steckel do more lightning drills. He is too tall to be such a slow skater.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Everybody ready to watch the boys "ramp it up" tonight?

You know what they say, 10 minutes of soul searching cures all ills.

Dear lord, what's more pathetic, this franchise or me for still caring?

Posted by: fanzee71 | February 14, 2011 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I foresee "Hot Goalie" being an excuse given at the post game press conference.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

U and me for still caring

Posted by: capper3 | February 14, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Announcers just talking about how it's harder to score when you have a defense first style of play. I've made that point a number of times. It wasn't simply the Caps unbelievable skill that led to so many goals scored last night. It was our high risk, defense second style of play. It was what Umberger was referring to when he pointed out that we didn't play the right way. Forwards flying the zone early, waiting at the blue line, etc... The Caps were never as good as some thought we were. It was just Boudreau's crappy run 'n gun system at work. It's no surprise we got bounced early against the exact type of team that Umberger said could pull it off.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 8:24 PM | Report abuse

And it's disappointing to still see Boudreau behind the bench. I guess McPhee is scared to fire him because then the only person left to blame when things are still broken will be himself.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 8:31 PM | Report abuse

The one guy is giving Ovechkin too much credit suggesting the rope-a-dope idea. The first thought was right: he telegraphs his one or two moves. He just isn't that great with the puck.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Everyone knows OV's moves. He may as well just pass the puck at this point, preferably to another Cap.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

This team is painfully boring now.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 8:44 PM | Report abuse

What a lazy defensive effort by Semin after losing the puck. He got back but just went into statue mode as the guy skated the puck right through and around him. Didn't move his legs at all. Fortunately, Johansson helped clean up the mess.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: capper3 | February 14, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

That curl and drag move actually hasn't worked with any frequency since his rookie season. Just a bad habit that he goes to it whenever he doesn't know what else to do.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 14, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Since this game is so boring, does anyone know why Versus dropped Joe B as a play by play man?

Posted by: Thisistheyear | February 14, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau looks like a man with zero confidence behind the bench. I guess he won't be bragging about how he's won championships in the minor leagues with it.

I've been avoiding hockey for a few days. Just saw that the Flyers got Versteeg.

McPhee f'n sucks donkey balls!

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

No worries though, McPhail and Fat Teddy have us on the 10 year plan!

lol

What a waste of a rebuilding effort...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, I feel ramped up. Don't you?

Posted by: fanzee71 | February 14, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised there isn't more concern on here about Green missing the game, likely due to his head injury. With all that has gone on with concussions in the NHL this year, it makes you a little wary.

@tmac2yao

How about for the rest of today's game you only point out positive plays you see the Caps make? Like Knuble on the backcheck, or MJ on the backcheck, or Ovie having good coverage in front of the net, or Ovie having good coverage when Alzner went into the offensive zone and Ovie replaced him at the point and make a good poke check to stop a rush.

Just try to focus on the positives for one night. No negative or critical posts at all tonight. Only post to point out positive aspects of the Caps during tonight's game.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

The team is a major league disappoinment. The ongoing soap opera is pathetic. Tarik hit the nail on the head, this quartet of supposedly high skill players are all vastly underachieving. They have no desire, intensity or heart. Why couldn't GMGM pull the trigger on a guy like Versteeg? Why? To let a talent laden team like Philly snap up yet another skill player and sit on your hands is inexcusable. Last year we thought we had the talent to win the cup. Now, it is just a shell of a team. A major resurrection project. Look at Philly, look at any other of ten or twelve teams. Compare us to them. Can we even compete anymore?

I guess we may limp into the playoffs, maybe, and get ousted really quick. Then it's time to blow up management and bring in a coach who can reach these listless underperformers.

Posted by: analyzerman | February 14, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@sgm

lol

Can't wait to see your tone in a year or two, assuming you don't run and hide.

Clown.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 8:59 PM | Report abuse

You want to get Ted's ear. Leave your comments at Ted's Take. Ted said, "I know what you are asking: How can we have this much talent on the power play and NOT score more?"

Be cordial and respectful when leaving your opinions. Perhaps he'll respond back.

Posted by: puckman | February 14, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Actually, not much will probably change since you're more interested in other posters than hockey.

Freak.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

My positive assessment of that power play: they didn't give up a shorty and BB did not eat anything on the bench (I assume).

Posted by: nomarjax01 | February 14, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I'll take it any way we can get it!

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | February 14, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

If you want goals...go to the net!

Posted by: Terptwin | February 14, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

90 deserved some luck. He's worked harder than just about any Cap tonight.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing is that the way we're playing now better matches the physical makeup of this team. Despite having a few speedy guys, we're the biggest and heaviest team in the league. My guess is that we're also one of the slowest. It's one of the many myths about the Caps that we're fast. It was more our style of play that led to that image.

Unfortunately, despite our size, we're surprisingly soft. Still, we're better designed for a slower, defense-first style of play than that run 'n gun crap.

Nice, another goal allowed as a result of not being able to take a body or stick in front of our net.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

The flyers keep adding to their team while the Caps are sitting on their duffs (literally and figuratively). GMGM, he who won't take criticism unless you're a hockey god, is certainly well on his way to building a subpar performer yet again. Great job!

Posted by: Almazar80 | February 14, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Whew, we sure didn't have much time to MJ's effort.

Posted by: Terptwin | February 14, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

LOL Nomarjax

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 9:22 PM | Report abuse

lmao... BB sounds nervous and scared as has been the norm for a while now.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Heh, raise your hand if you didn't see *that* coming.

Yeah, I did too.

Predictable, choking dog, losers.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, despite our size, we're surprisingly soft.

Posted by: tmac2yao

Definition of Schultz. Sadly, he embodies our team makeup.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Note to the editor: Please add "Edit" and "Delete" links so that readers can modify their own comments.

Posted by: Terptwin | February 14, 2011 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Have liked the legs the Caps have showed all game.

The effort seems to be there, but this team is notorious to be an annoying team to play with their trapping style.

But it is still 1-1 more than halfwa through this game.

We have GOT to find a way to score some friggin goals.

The big guns have got to start playing consistently.

On that note...I hope that Mike Green is ok. Worried that he came back too quickly and he may be out for an extended time.

Posted by: dglelite | February 14, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

------

Arrogant fool. For starters, we don't have as much talent as he thinks we do.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Get Ovie off the damn point already. We need a PP goal since we are going to have to kill at least 2 PKs in the last 25:00.

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | February 14, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh great, 8 has decided he needs to do it all himself, that always ends up well.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I love Bruce telling the VS guys that he's tried Ovechkin on the wing. He's done it like 5 shifts all season. For whatever reason they don't get a goal and it's back to the point for the next 20 PPs.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 14, 2011 9:33 PM | Report abuse

That was a very nice backchecking effort by 8. He has the ability to do that regularly instead of occasionally.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Semin does know that he doesn't have to do the stupid drag of the puck EVERY SINGLE TIME doesn't he?!?!?!

He had a beautiful one time opportunity and instead decided to make his little move, allowing the defensemen to get in position to block his shot...

So damn annoying!

Posted by: dglelite | February 14, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

dunno the degree of difficulty but I would give him a 9.5

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 14, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see that one coming.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 14, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Let's see...

We're becoming a more defensive-minded team.

The PP is impotent.

What's the reason for having a coach like Boudreau then?

He's an offensive-minded coach at his core and the PP is supposed to be one of his specialties.

Time for a new coach.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Well, there it is.

If past performance is indicative of future results, this will be the point in the game where the team quits, final score 5-1.

BB will be as lucky if he has a job by the end of this roadie as the Caps will if they have a playoff spot.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Game set match?

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Washington - 0 for 3 on their PP opportunities. Highly predictable and ineffective.

Phoenix - 1 for 1.

Difference in the game.

Posted by: dglelite | February 14, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Head down... whiff... whiff.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm so frustrated I'm ready to give up the rest of my season tickets and start to focus on nats spring training. These guys are UNWATCHABLE!

And I stand by my position stated earlier that I hope they miss the playoffs - then I think we'll finally see some change that might result in a better team. Too bad we'll have to wait YET another year.

Posted by: Thisistheyear | February 14, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Are we having fun yet?

Posted by: capper3 | February 14, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Was this game down as a win or a tie in the best case scenario (2-2-1) for the road trip?

Posted by: RedRedRed | February 14, 2011 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Just hang on guys. They're REALLY going to "ramp it up" in the 3rd period. You ain't seen nothing yet. 10 minutes in the locker room changes everything!

Posted by: fanzee71 | February 14, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse

How much longer do we accept mediocrity?

Posted by: natresgroup | February 14, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is too predictable which is why so many of his shots get blocked or he is stood up at the blueline. Unlike many other NHL stars, he's failed to diversify his game to do other things to create room to score. He had at least 4 good opportunities on the PP in the 1st two periods and only one good shot on goal. It does not good for his one-timer to go a foot wide.

This is one game where you can't blame BB for not laying out a good game plan. The Caps are putting forth the effort but not executing on numerous scoring plays. This is a team that the Caps should be able to beat. It will be a long road trip if the Caps don't get a win tonight.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 14, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

'No more negative posts...'only positive comments?
hmmm...we may not see any more posts.

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 14, 2011 9:55 PM | Report abuse

My new Screen Name

Posted by: OneDimentionalTurnOverMachnNvrB8ks | February 14, 2011 9:55 PM | Report abuse

"This is one game where you can't blame BB for not laying out a good game plan. "

---

No it's not. The Caps have lost this game at least 10 times this year. This is a trend, not an aberration. It's clear at this point that the issue isn't "execution." The problem is systemic, and at this point it's very clear the two places where the problem starts. BB is one of those two places.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 9:56 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

I was just suggesting you try something different. You post the exact same thing regardless of what actually happens on the ice. I'm not saying post positive statements every game, but just try it for one game.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

After reading Ted's take and watching the team play, it's clear where the kool aid machine is situated. Oh well. At least it should be easier to get around town come April.

Posted by: Almazar80 | February 14, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

"You are clearly watching the game looking for any and all negative things to post. Just try watching one game, just one game, in which you look for the positive things that happen. Just try it once. One time. I know you can do it. I believe in you!!!!"

---

What positives exactly, are you getting from this game?

Because all I'm seeing is the same, choking-dog suck-fest they put out there most nights.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"The problem is systemic, and at this point it's very clear the two places where the problem starts. BB is one of those two places."

And the other place is?

GMGM?

Ovechkin?

Semin?

The entire group of players?

Posted by: remy117 | February 14, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are going to have to dig deep in the third. Boy do we miss Fehr and Green tonight!

Posted by: Terptwin | February 14, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

How about a win?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"And the other place is?"

It's GMGM.

You get an actual NHL coach in there, and the play issues take care of themselves.

Then you get a real GM to build a hockey team instead of a marshmallow factory.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I just plucked a few nose hairs. That's a personal win right there for me.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 14, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I am beginning to agree with someone else on this blog: we were better last year. If I were BB I would go back to what I know best and what made me successful and then add some strong D men. Why did the Caps go from last to first place under Boudreau? He unleashed their creativity and offensive talents that had been stifled under Hanson. They felt empowered when they stopped playing cautiously and timidly and had a coach who saw them as potential Stanley Cup winners even while they were at the bottom. This season they look more and more like the scared underdog they were under Hanson.

Yes, they needed better defense, more consistency and discipline but not a change of personality. Their strenght was as a risk-taking,offensive team. This was the team character that was freed under BB and got them to the top of the league. I don't know what the new system does exactly to clash with the team's identity and character but it does. It also does not fit BB. Both coach and players are like square pegs in a round hole. Add D-men and toughness but do not try to recreate the team on the model of the Devils and other defensive teams. The system and style of playing has to grow organically out of a particular team's make up and adapt to it, rather than the other way around. All of those who have been clamoring for the Caps to be a defense oriented team were wrong. Unless they hire all new players.

Posted by: caraveli | February 14, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Another whiff by 8, that one was a sure goal...

I know Scottsdale has a good party scene. Maybe a little more optional skates and a little less Vodka and he connects on that.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, if there's one other department where the Coyotes lead, it's in blocked shots, 17-4.

Posted by: Terptwin | February 14, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

That's game.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 14, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

lol....

one day closer to the end of Boudreau and eventually McPhee.

That's what I'm looking forward to.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh well....maybe next year :(

Posted by: JCB9 | February 14, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Good lord. Does it ever stop? Take back your Panthers and give us back our Capitals.

Posted by: Terptwin | February 14, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

the funny thing is that the refs have arguably fallen for 2 of our dives and we still couldn't capitalize...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

WOW Caps bust out with a whole TWO goals in one game. Wonder what's wrong with Bryzgalov.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 14, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

"Why did the Caps go from last to first place under Boudreau? He unleashed their creativity and offensive talents that had been stifled under Hanson. They felt empowered when they stopped playing cautiously and timidly and had a coach who saw them as potential Stanley Cup winners even while they were at the bottom. This season they look more and more like the scared underdog they were under Hanson."

Hanson?

Do yourself a favor, friend. At least try to learn the name of the coach before BB before you post something where you pretend like you know what you're talking about.

BB's system doesn't work in the playoffs, there's a reason they're going to this system (Which is not the Davils system, they play a trap, we don't play a trap). If you had been paying attention to this team or hockey since before "Hanson" was our coach, you would know that.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank you grinders! Wake up everybody else!!

Posted by: Terptwin | February 14, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Devils*, sorry for the typo.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

All I want for Christmas is _____(fill in the blank!)

Posted by: dglelite | February 14, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Their strenght was as a risk-taking,offensive team.

Posted by: caraveli | February 14, 2011 10:06 PM

That was precisely the problem. It was fool's gold.

Defense first and tema defense is absolutely the right way to play, regardless of personnel.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Pretty bad when our 4th liners are schooling our 10 million dollar a year guy

Posted by: muthapucker | February 14, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

whatever happened to that band Hanson anyway??

Posted by: joek443 | February 14, 2011 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Defense would have won the Montreal playoff series for us? Yeah, sure.

1-37 on the PP.

Posted by: tslats | February 14, 2011 10:15 PM | Report abuse

The announcer nailed it as I was about to type it. That sequence started with a wild blind pass to the middle by Semin. Ovechkin is notorious for that same crap. It was even more of a problem for him last season.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

When you think about it, if Hanlon's name had been Hanson, he probably would have had a better career. Hanson is a pretty sweet hockey last name...then again, the band Hanson should have been pretty good at hockey too, since there were three of them.

Posted by: nomarjax01 | February 14, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

***look who scored our 2nd goal****

Could 10 save our season like he did Game 5 v NYR??

Posted by: MattBradley10 | February 14, 2011 10:20 PM | Report abuse

"Defense would have won the Montreal playoff series for us? Yeah, sure."

---

Good point, Defense probably wouldn't have helped us win a playoff series that we had a 3 games to 1 lead in...

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:20 PM | Report abuse

BTW note to Erskine:

Unless you have the recovery speed of Coffey, don't ever pinch in unless you're 100% sure!!!

Posted by: joek443 | February 14, 2011 10:20 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins - stink
The Wizards - stink
The Nationals - stink
The Caps - stink

Enough said.

Posted by: VADoc1 | February 14, 2011 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Montreal was only 1 of 4 teams we would've had to get through to win the cup.

That is a terrible excuse that's been floated around way too often, including by McPhee.

Our defense would've been exploited once we faced a more balanced and better offensive team. I believe MTL was one of the worst in the league 5-on-5.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm encouraged by the increased jump in the Caps step since the second goal...

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 14, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Perreault's gonna need to add 10+ lbs of muscle to have any chance to stick at this level. He's constantly on his ass.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:24 PM | Report abuse

It's shutdown time. We're going to have to hit the walls and crash the net.

Posted by: Terptwin | February 14, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Desha Vue? (MTL Series)
So far this game-
PP: WSH - 0/5; PHX - 1/1
SOG: WSH - 30; PHX - 15

PATHETIC!!!

Posted by: OneDimentionalTurnOverMachnNvrB8ks | February 14, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm encouraged by the fact that this game is almost over, and I can get to watching "Chuck" on my DVR.

It will be the second funniest thing I watch tonight.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Uh, for those of you that are watching the game phx has been winning the nuetral zone all night. BB doesn't seem to be matching their extra man jumping forward or getting back in transition. Now with 4 mins left, they'll have another player in the nuetral zone on D. Whatever...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 14, 2011 10:30 PM | Report abuse

In a word...embarassing

Now the commentators are dogging our newly signed $6.8 million man Semin...

Gotta love it

Posted by: dglelite | February 14, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Boudreau will blame this loss on Neuvirth too?

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 14, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

No surprise.

On to the next one.

One step closer to change.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Nicky, proving you're worth that $7mil more and more as the year goes on, aren't ya?

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:33 PM |
Agree with that one, more games Caps lose, better chance we have to get a coach that knows. Ray Whitney and Versus announcers said it perfectly.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Sooo, This is the result of the big closed door meeting.They just dont get it.You cant wait till theres 2 minutes left to push.

Posted by: muthapucker | February 14, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

VTDuffman

@ tmac2yao, I know you believe tat teams should be built defense-first. All I know is that the wind has been taken out of the Caps' sails and they lost the very qualities that, in spite of weaknesses, made them successful, and the coach seems at a loss.
It just does not the current team.

Posted by: caraveli | February 14, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

That whiff just summed up our season.

Posted by: natresgroup | February 14, 2011 10:39 PM | Report abuse

why on God's green earth was 25 put in position to take the shot? FAIL!

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 14, 2011 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Seriously you have Chimera as the player you want to take that last shot????

Bruce...nice guy...but you got to go...

Posted by: dglelite | February 14, 2011 10:39 PM | Report abuse

To each his own, caraveli. That's just how I see it.

And I can't leave without mentioning as usual that McPhee sucks the big one!

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 10:39 PM | Report abuse

FIRE BOUDREAU!!!!!! NOW!!!

Posted by: Thisistheyear | February 14, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

"Ha ha! I meant Hanlon but I prefer forgetting his name. And yes, the system was not (yet anyway) suited for play offs but the current system is nit suited for even the regular season. "

---

No, this system is perfectly suited for the regular season and the playoffs. It just needs to be coached by an actual NHL coach who knows how to implement it and teach players to play in it.

BBs system was not suited for the playoffs, not now, not ever. That's what you aren't getting. That system wasn't "one tough defender" or whatever away from being a playoff system. The BB system *doesn't play defense* that's the whole point, you can't win in the playoffs without playing defense.

BB can't coach a team to play defense without doing it at the expense of offense, he can't coach a team that plays offense without doing it at the expense of defense. The bottom line is that BB can't coach balanced, NHL Hockey. His system might score some goals and win some regular season games, but it *can't* win a cup.

If your goal is truly for this team to win a cup, you need to come to terms with that at some point.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Chimera belongs in the ECHL. Not in a NHL shooting zone on a faceoff with 1.9 left in the game.

Posted by: dull | February 14, 2011 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Disappointment once again....Pathetic !

Posted by: JCB9 | February 14, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Brads get one after a injury stint. Other then that, we looked minor league.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 14, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Hadid must be busy cleaning a lot of spills at BB's home.

Posted by: Almazar80 | February 14, 2011 10:45 PM | Report abuse

When teams have figured out how to stop your offense, a good coach makes adjustments to the offense. He doesn't decide to make the team defensive..and hope that works. The players do not look interested in playing for BB anymore. I am so sick of hearing the same things over and over, we didn't pay the price, didn't get the puck deep, need to take more shots. When the team does the same things wrong every night, they obviously aren't listening to the coach.

And please...can Semin show any life so we can trade him for anything?? Biggest dream of my life, trade Semin. Carlson is already better than Green, I wouldn't mind seeing Greenie go either. Serious changes need to be made here. Need a real 2nd line Center.

Posted by: JeremyH1 | February 14, 2011 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Arrrrggggghhhhhh shoot us all so we don't have to witness such mediocrity.

Bring in the clowns....... Oops I forgot we already have Hadeed to guide the Floundering ship that is taking on serious water.

Posted by: capper3 | February 14, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

For the some of you saying that the new defensive first style isnt good and they should go back to the other style please be quiet. If you were paying attention this season you'd know that we started having trouble scoring about 10 or so games before we even switched to a more defensive style and the lack of scoring was the main reason BB did it.

The fact is last year everyone had overachieving years. Thats the bottom line. The overachieving fooled most of the fans, management and ownership into thinking everything was perfect. And now reality is setting in.

Posted by: ThePat | February 14, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

"BB can't coach a team to play defense without doing it at the expense of offense, he can't coach a team that plays offense without doing it at the expense of defense."

Can you think of any coaches who would be ideal for the Caps at this confused point of their development?

Posted by: caraveli | February 14, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Semin is a disgrace. He looks like he just doesn't care.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Craps fans, do you see it now? A checking forward was fielded by your genius coach to try to score the game-winner. Yes, your coach is a moron.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | February 14, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

There is actually only one flaw in BB's new signature Playoff Caliber Defense First system: You don't win enough games in the regular season to make the playoffs.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 14, 2011 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen #19? It appears he took the $$ and ran...

Posted by: JCB9 | February 14, 2011 10:49 PM | Report abuse

FIRE BB!FIRE BB!FIRE BB!FIRE BB!FIRE BB!FIRE BB!FIRE BB!FIRE BB!FIRE BB!FIRE BB!

Posted by: anton8359 | February 14, 2011 10:50 PM | Report abuse

It's really the fault of any system that Ovi just keeps whiffing... he's like the Dave Kingman of hockey these days.

Posted by: joek443 | February 14, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

You guys say fire BB, but who else is out there to take his place?

Posted by: OneDimentionalTurnOverMachnNvrB8ks | February 14, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

It's really NOT the fault of any system that Ovi just keeps whiffing... he's like the Dave Kingman of hockey these days.

Posted by: joek443 | February 14, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Semin has been injured for weeks and is prob still not fully healthy you can't blame him.

Posted by: anton8359 | February 14, 2011 10:52 PM | Report abuse

we need another euro for the playoff run...quick sign Forsberg!!!!!!!
this team is circling the toilet heading down

Posted by: wendel2 | February 14, 2011 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Just the result i was hoping for. One game closer to firing boudreau

Posted by: chatton | February 14, 2011 10:53 PM | Report abuse

"You guys say fire BB, but who else is out there to take his place?"

---

There's a laundry list of coaches out there who could take his place. This exercise is silly and has been gone over literally 50 times on this board. Throw a dart, you'll find someone. This is hockey, not rocket surgery.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 10:53 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps manage to win one game on this road trip, I wonder how many empty seats there will be at Verizon when they come back? Only six points to the 8th slot and a tie with Carolina for 2nd/3rd place in the SE. I'm almost sure that the Caps will be in 3rd place once this road trip is done. But heck, GMGM, hockey god who disdains those with less knowledge than him, has built such an awesome powerhouse.

Posted by: Almazar80 | February 14, 2011 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Ovi is the only cap doing anything productive! Chimera was the one who wiffed did you watch the game?

Posted by: anton8359 | February 14, 2011 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Caps did step up the pace in their play tonight, didn't look like they were skating in slo mo. That said, piss poor decision making and utter lack of execution was more than enough to undermine the extra effort. Still can't play a whole game of hockey. Adios, Bruce. Ride your Mercedes off into the desert sunset.

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | February 14, 2011 10:56 PM | Report abuse

hey wendel,

I would rather have one Forsberg with bad feet than 10 worthless Canucks like Chimera.

Posted by: joek443 | February 14, 2011 10:57 PM | Report abuse

@seth

They stepped up their pace??? They had 1 frickin shot in the last 8 minutes and it was Semin from 65 feet away. If that is picking up their pace that is beyond scary.

Posted by: ThePat | February 14, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

You have to do something. Either Fire BB, or make a MAJOR trade. To carry on like this is crazy at this point.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anton8359 | February 14, 2011 10:52 PM

In this blog people blame everyone except Knuble and Laich

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice how our passes are not tape to tape anymore. Its like we lack team chemistry passing to the rh side of lefties and lh side of righties. Phoenix powerplay tonight was beautiful.

Posted by: chatton | February 14, 2011 10:59 PM | Report abuse

How about French to finish season. If things go south, look for a coach during the off season.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | February 14, 2011 10:59 PM | Report abuse

amazing that no news out in rumor world on the caps looking to upgrade. what are they waiting for

Posted by: samb99 | February 14, 2011 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Just the result i was hoping for. One game closer to firing boudreau
Posted by: chatton | February 14, 2011 10:53 PM | Report abuse

+1 gazillion billion times

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:01 PM | Report abuse

"In this blog people blame everyone except Knuble and Laich"

I blame Knuble and Laich. I think Knubs deserves the least amount of criticizm of all the forwards, though. Still, it's apparent that this team's softness has rubbed off on him.

Laich started reading his own press clippings last season. It was all downhill from there.

"Anyone else notice how our passes are not tape to tape anymore"

Hard to have any chemistry when you don't have any consistency in lines from game to game, this was brought up repeatedly last year, but ignored because we were winning.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

go ahead joek sign him to your fantasy fool team

Posted by: wendel2 | February 14, 2011 11:04 PM | Report abuse

That play by Erskine was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew there are a few people on here who love him, but he is atrocious. He gave up about 4 great scoring opportunities last game because of terrible turnovers and then he makes that horrible and stupid pinch. Can we please get another D-man so I don't have to watch that disgrace play anymore. He is terrible, just terrible. That re-signing is up there for the worst moves ever made by GMGM. He should've waited until the off-season.

For everyone bashing Ovie tonight, he was, by far, the best Cap on the ice. He played very well tonight and was flying around. He had more energy than any other player on the ice on either team.

Backstrom was...eh.

Semin was terrible.

Laich did nothing again.

Knuble was okay.

MJ and MP both had decent games.

Hendricks was absent.

Chimera added absolutely nothing.

The 4th line had another solid game.

The D was overall pretty solid. I though Hannan set up a little too far back on the 1st goal and Erskine was god-awful on the 3rd goal. The Caps need to scratch Erskine. The only thing he adds to the team is a high propensity to turn the puck over, and the Caps already have enough of that

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Guys,

Some of you are being negative just for the sake of being negative. I think The Caps played a pretty good game all the way around. OVI looked great all night. Take it easy. I liked most of what I saw. I think Semin is still off. That pinch by Erskine was a disaster and Backstrom's high sticking penalty was bad timing. Thought the PP looked 100 times better. Green and Fehr are missed. They worked hard all game.

Posted by: pkme | February 14, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps a one hour team meeting now?

Posted by: capper3 | February 14, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

"That re-signing is up there for the worst moves ever made by GMGM. "

---

Please. The Erskine extension wasn't even the worst move by GMGM 1) This season, 2)That involved extending a D-Man.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 11:07 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the trade? Every day we hear about other teams making deals and getting impressive additions to their rosters. Is it possible that GM may let yet another dealine pass without a significant new acquisition? Though I have to say, the team looks so disoriented and under-performing I don't see how any new addition will make a difference.

I was embarrassed today

Posted by: caraveli | February 14, 2011 11:08 PM | Report abuse

" I think Knubs deserves the least amount of criticizm of all the forwards, though. Still, it's apparent that this team's softness has rubbed off on him."

Huh? are we watching the same team? Least amount of criticizm? That guy is slow like my old pos toyota camry, like really slow. If he was playing defense, like Hull Gil then may be he would get a pass, but with dump and chase hockey speed is the main factor of getting a puck in offense zone. Yes, Knubs saved a goal tonight when he got back to defense, but that was an exception

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse

last I checked MP, Chimera, BGordon, Lumberjack, 55, Laich, Fehr and Sloan didn't come from Europe.

That's right, they're ALL worthless Canucks on this team.

Posted by: joek443 | February 14, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Now the world knows how worthless Semin is.

Thanks Versus.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse

"I think The Caps played a pretty good game all the way around."

---

Holy crap, one of you still exist.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 11:10 PM | Report abuse

pkme,
Your thoughts are admirable but that "hard work" was not enough, and it has been not enough since the Flash/Hannan trade. Where have you been?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 14, 2011 11:12 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

Re-signing a 6th/7th D-man to a 2 year $3M(I think) extension is a terrible move. Erskine would not be in the top 6 for at least half of the NHL teams. Those type of players are easily replaceable and should not be making over $1M/yr. It was a terrible move.

The Poti move looks absolutely horrible too, but at least there is a possibility of the player playing well and being a top-6 D-man if he is ever able to get healthy. Poti was very good last year in the playoffs. I think it was also a stupid move to re-sign Poti, but Erskine? Seriously? The guy is a BUM!

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 11:13 PM | Report abuse

"I think The Caps played a pretty good game all the way around." if they played "pretty good", the Caps would at least get one point, especially in situation we are in right now

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I hate the guys losing like this but I think it will make them stronger and more humble. I am surprised that GMGM has not made any moves. I guess this is the roster going in the playoffs. Assuming we get there.

Posted by: pkme | February 14, 2011 11:14 PM | Report abuse

"Huh? are we watching the same team? Least amount of criticizm?"

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought Semin's best play of the game was that Oscar worthy dive he did when big bad Sami Lepisto crushed him along the boards.

Did you see the face he made as he was getting up? It was a classic "did I sell that?" face.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 14, 2011 11:14 PM | Report abuse

"Now the world knows how worthless Semin is." say what?

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:15 PM | Report abuse

It's bad on these boards.. Even sgm3 is killing McPhee.

Erskine and Poti are locked up for several more years.

I don't understand how Semin ever dresses for this team again after tonight.

Here's a stat, Semin's been back for 3 games. We are 0-3.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 11:16 PM | Report abuse

My prediction: After dropping 4 of 5 on this road trip, BB is canned after returning on the 22nd. Eight days and counting....

Posted by: festus75 | February 14, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

"I wasn't speaking specifically to tonight, but overall. He may have lost a step, but the toughness he displays (Last Sun vs. PIT for example) is something I wish we saw in more players."

Usually I respect your posts, but mentioning Pits from last Sunday is over the board, we beat bunch of ahlers! Even Islanders beat them 9-3.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:18 PM | Report abuse

so whats your point joek?? all those guys u mention make ov 's salary combined...do they show less hustle than ov backs and semin?? think not but hey whatever u say

Posted by: wendel2 | February 14, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

"but Erskine? Seriously? The guy is a BUM!"

---

No, you just have it out for Erskine because you know that other people on this board who you dislike like him as a player. So, you've developed this new shtick of blaming every loss on Erskine and putting all your energy into railing on him and mocking other posters.

That's literally the worst part of losses, is coming on this board and seeing what new shtick you've come up with to mock other posters in order to vent your frustrations. If you were half as clever as you think you were, these posts might actually be satirical and funny, but you're not so they're just annoying.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

"Usually I respect your posts, but mentioning Pits from last Sunday is over the board, we beat bunch of ahlers!"

---

I wasn't speaking to the result of the game or using that as an example of anything. I was speaking specifically to 22's play and the toughness he routinely displays. He's a million years old and slow as dirt, and he's *still* arguable the toughest forward on the team.

If you started a list of all the things wrong with this team, the play of 22 would be very far down that list.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 14, 2011 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

Semin has been horrible in his 3 games back. I'm hoping he is just working himself back into game shape. But if he continues to play like he has the past 3 games, then uh-oh.

---
On the lack of trade rumors. There are never any real trade rumors about the Caps because GMGM is so tight-lipped. The Chris Clark trade, and the Hannan trade both came out of nowhere. I believe he will be doing something soon, and a decently significant move at that.

I think it will involved a decently named player too. My guess would be either Schulz, Laich or Fehr, and I'm leaning towards Schulz or Laich.

Or maybe Green missed tonight's game because the Caps have a large pending trade they are about to complete?

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

So are you trying to say Erskine played well tonight? Are you also trying to say Erskine played well on Saturday?

If you honestly believe then I know you are not making comments with your head. Erskine is a fine SEVENTH D-MAN. That is all. He is not a top-6 guy, never has been, never will be. He is being paid way too much money over the next two years. That signing was idiotic. There was no point to do that now.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 14, 2011 11:26 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------------------------------

if they wanna keep making a living in the NHL they had BETTER show twice the hustle of those star players.

The problem is they don't. If those worthless Canucks played with the same intensity as Hendricks every night, they would never have to answer to all those "play 60 minutes" questions they get asked every day.

Posted by: joek443 | February 14, 2011 11:28 PM | Report abuse

All of you say, "Fire BB! Fire BB!" They'd only replace him with Evason.

That's all that's gonna happen. French? No way.

It's too late. So all you "Fire BB'er's" ask yourself if you're ready for Evason.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | February 14, 2011 11:30 PM | Report abuse

damn, WP is slow today. underpants, you are weird. look what teams we had to play before Semin was injured. Wounded Pens, nervous Rolloson, and bunch of teams like Isles, Laffs and others that can only dream to be in playoffs. Last 3 games it was all west coast top 8 teams, so when you post something, please take a minute to think if it makes any sense.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Remember folks, this was the "ramped up" Capitals tonight.

Can you feel the heat baby!

Posted by: fanzee71 | February 14, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Tampa's no good all of a sudden. Rolosson shut us out the two previous times we faced him.

Make sense?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

The Caps will not trade Green. Folks that will never happen. In my opinion there are five players that would not be traded. Backs, OVI, Green, Carlson and Alzner. And most likely MJ who I got to say is so hockey smart it is just silly. MJ is going to be a great hockey player. Future Selke winner multiple times.

Posted by: pkme | February 14, 2011 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: underpants2 | February 14, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

one small contact with Rolley and he is falling apart, see Tampa-Sabres game, 5 goals in one period by Buffalo.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 14, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

pkme,
"I hate the guys losing like this but I think it will make them stronger and more humble." Again, where have you been? No disrespect but that statement might have made sense if this was early Jan. We've been on this path way too long and Leonsis seems to wait until critical mass (like firing Hanlon)to make changes. At this rate, we really will be fighting just for a playoff spot!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 14, 2011 11:51 PM | Report abuse

"They always fire the coach, and never the players. Our players are the problem. And the refrain continues."

Who was the problem for the Flyers when they fired John Stevens last year, or for the Pens when they fired Michel Therrien in 2009 (the year they won the Cup), or for the Hawks that same season when they fired Denis Savard?

In the end it's the players' jobs to execute but it's on the coach to implement a gameplan and motivate them to get it done. Boudreau's not a bad coach...neither was Therrien or Stevens...but when you've lost the locker room, you're just done.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 14, 2011 11:58 PM | Report abuse

If BB gets replaced with Woods or Evason, it would only be interim or at least I hope to the hockey gods that Leonsis and GMGM understand they are not bench bosses. Both would only impliment the same system with a different voice. We need a marquee coach not a BCassidy and until we get a Pat Quinn type braintrust who can squeeze the most out of our guys, post season is in doubt. If we do make post season, it will be embarrasing if we go with the status quo.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 15, 2011 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 14, 2011 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Dear hatfield123, i nominate you for the most common sense member on this board!

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 15, 2011 12:29 AM | Report abuse

what u smoking joek and what games are u watching?

Posted by: wendel2 | February 15, 2011 12:39 AM | Report abuse

@pkme

At this point I'm keeping only Ovi and Carlson.

Backy has turned into a sissy Swede !

There are only 6 guys that I would keep on this club, if I were building a "Cup team"

Ovi
Carlson
Hendricks
Green (can rescued by a "Real NHL Coach")
Varly
MJ

The rest of these guys will NEVER perform in the play offs. They're pansies. That includes Backy !(Bradley needs to go to a town that will embrace him.)

Ted, you are a Georgetown nerd, who had no business buying a pro team in a sport that you don't understand.

I don't think Ted watched the play offs beyond our exit. It's a process that requires the roster to be exceptionally "Gritty". With these pansies on our roster, the Isles are closer to hoisting than we are. (Yea, the Wings were gritty !)

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:11 AM | Report abuse

@pkme

Forgot to blast your "loses making our guys stronger" comment. Are you on drugs?

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:15 AM | Report abuse

@Jordon Kitts

Go back to your piano. You don't know Matt Cooke dung about hockey. Get off our site !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Hunterforcoach,
You don't think DC appreciates Brads? He plays hard and we know it and has always been a fan fav.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 15, 2011 1:18 AM | Report abuse

@wendel

Joek is right. Some how our J.D. GM managed to put togeather ten wothless canucks. Almost impossible in hockey, but he did it.

Wow, guy was up for "GM of the year"

@holes on this site told us to "shut up" when we laughed at the nomination that LL in Jersey pushed through.

Yea, GMGM's a real genius !! (Why, he's got a law degree, and a BS form some snotty southern school. We should show respect for his paper degrees.)

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:24 AM | Report abuse

@Bernie

I love Brads, but he deserves better. This Franchise just can't clear the "Scott's Steven's Cloud" that hangs over it.

Our owner is clueless !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:26 AM | Report abuse

@Kool Aiders

There are 30 or so of you who blasted Cstanton and Tmac all season. Some of you were pretty nasty about it. They were dead on about this team ,owner, coach, and GM.

WHERE ARE ALL THE KOOL AIDERS APOLOGIZING TO THESE TWO POSTERS. YOU'RE HIDING LIKE SCARED SCHOOL GIRLS. (REMINDS ME OF THE HABS SERIES - HIDING LIKE SCHOOL GIRLS)

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Hunterforcoach,
That cloud will never really clear, but this franchise needs to move on and create another entity like a Langway. Yeah, Brads does deserve better and to think we got him from the Pens and if he stayed, he would have a Cup by now. I don't know if you recall but Brads wore a "C" during a preseason game so the guys do rally around him. I feel bad for Hendricks and Brads because for what they individually bring, I'm sure they feel the team would be better then we are at this stage .

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 15, 2011 1:45 AM | Report abuse

@Bernie

Brads and Hendricks - two class acts

I hope the new GM can keep both, but I fear they'll get tossed because someone thinks Backy's lip stick pretty passes from the wall will win the Cup. What a mess !!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:53 AM | Report abuse