Posted at 5:39 PM ET, 12/ 5/2010

Photos: Caps skate at the Sculpture Garden

By Washington Post sports editors

(Katherine Frey/The Washington Post)

Capitals alumni Peter Bondra and Craig Laughlin and current players Karl Alzner (above), Nicklas Backstrom, John Carlson and Marcus Johansson took to the ice to skate with fans Sunday at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink on the National Mall.

Check out the photo gallery here.

By Washington Post sports editors  | December 5, 2010; 5:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Chimera gets stitches in mouth after high stick
Next: Here's what the Winter Classic at Heinz Field will look like

Comments

This was a terrific event, and Marcus, Karl, John, & Nicki were very generous with their time. It was great for my daughter and friends' kids to skate with each of these guys, and they hung around long after scheduled. Props to the four young Caps and the organization for making it happen and being so genuinely nice.

Posted by: Justafan | December 5, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

I think you won. Those guys kinda' gave up.

I hope BB really starts to reflect more on the type of guys we put on the ice come the playoffs.

To win 16 games while injured after an 82 game season takes a special group.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 5, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@hunter

it's not about winning the argument, it's about raising awareness to the problem. It frustrates me because the Bruins have constructed a team I fantasize about; wait until Savard returns. It's always a pleasure seeing and reading your posts, hunter, and you might get a kick out of a letter David Poile responded to me with. I typed it on the last thread, and it confirms my passion and commitment to hockey the way it's meant to be played at the NHL level: fast, aggressive, and intense

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 5, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps:
you're right - it's not about winning an argument (actully discussion) - it's about sharing information.
i've never played hockey but i appreciate the caps and the talents each player has. no team can have the 'best' player at every position and every team has room to improve. for me personally, it's about rooting for every player the gm and coach put on the ice. there needs to be a balance that gives the team the absolute best chance to win the cup.
so i get it - for you it is erskine and not schultz (and by schultz - i mean dork55 :D). other than that - i'd love to hear what you (and other goat blood drinkers too :D) think about some of the other finer points of the game. i might not agree with everything (ask cstanton1) - but at least i get a perspective that i was never able to have on my own. the caps came into existence when i was a teen and i remember the 8-67-5 21 pts season - so i'm not a noob - i'm just not an 'insider' - so 'Capitals Insider' means more to me than some of (was i see as) outright bashing i find here a lot.
i'm not trying to get anyone to change their own opinion - i just feel most that post here have more to offer than just that.
sorry this was such a long post and thanks for listening (i guess that would actually be reading)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 5, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@capt

i love reading everyone's posts, even the ones tearing me up..haha I'm the farthest thing from an "insider" (and if anyone knows anyone who is, my boys would love to meet Johnny E. when we're seeing them in Boston in a couple weeks...hit me up :) and hunterforcoach, my wife will be sporting her Hunter 32 Nordique t-shirt there! how's that for "in your face" fan support for the red in Boston?), but I did grow up w/them during the "Save the Caps" campaigns and prayed for the franchise's survival, was fortunate to have lots of interaction w/players through the years, and live and die with them each season as EVERYONE ELSE HERE does to...GO CAPS!! If you read my letter from David Poile last thread, you can see that I'm passionate and feel like I've been singing the same song all these years. That's why being a Caps fan is great; we don't give up and we stick behind them no matter what...despite making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

I'm probably the only person to suffer from PTSD after seeing the GREATEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME, SCOTT STEVENS, allowed to walk away and I've been waiting for his tough-as-nails presence ever since...Tinordi and now Erskine are the only ones who've come close in the scare/mean factor since Stevens left. Stevens just looked intense, and he was...Erskine just looks tough, and he is. With all my heart, I think we need him in the 6th spot and I have the utmost confidence he'll make believers out of everyone (he's changed a few people in 27 games and would win more over during the season; he just won't get the chance if (god willing) everyone stays healthy...and that to me is just a shame)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

@capt

and out of respect for you and other Caps fans, I will refrain from calling Dork by that moniker and now refer to him as **** until he ticks me off again by not supporting his mates when things get heated and intense

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 5, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@capt

sorry, didn't really give you any insight like you asked for (the thoughts and words flow when i think caps)...hmmmm, perhaps that aggression and intimidation can never be underestimated in the only major sport that permits fighting; and the sum of the whole is more important than the individual parts

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 6, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

@Vermont

We may just get a cUp if enough fans who recognize that this franchise never recovered from the loss of Stevens demand real a "play off ready hockey" team in a nonhockey town. A dark cloud has hung over the franchise since Steven's left. Scott's personality would not have let guys quit during some of those playoff series that Alan May talks about routinely now in the media.

Erskine can be a playoff beast, because the playoffs are not about speed. It's about desire. Hell, Look at the Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching Fehr, Gordo, Stecks, Shultz, Poti, Semin get major playing time, while Erskine gets to wear a suit in the stands makes me ill. I've watched 40 years of playoff hockey. The above named guys will NOT crawl over broken glass to win a cUp. Johnny will !!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 6, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse