Pinizzotto and Machesney Recalled, Varlamov Sent Down

With Alexander Semin and Matt Bradley (among others) suffering from flu-like symptoms, the Caps had to make some interesting moves ahead of tonight's meeting with the Leafs at Air Canada Centre.

Right wing Steve Pinizzotto and goaltender Daren Machesney have been recalled from Hershey and goaltender Simeon Varlamov has been sent to the Bears. Varlamov had to be sent down so the Caps could squeeze Pinizzotto (and an inexpensive backup goalie) under the cap.

If Pinizzotto plays, he'll be the ninth player to make his NHL debut this season for the Caps. He would also become the 42nd player to suit up for Washington (including video producer-turned-backup netminder Brett "Stretch" Leonhardt). Pretty incredible for a first-place team, no?

It's believed Pinizzotto would also become the first RIT alum to play in the NHL. But first he's got to get in. I'm told that Semin and Bradley are doing better.

I'll have more later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 24, 2009; 10:51 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Fleischmann Searching for Flash
Next: Boudreau: Semin, Bradley Are 'Probable'

Comments

The "Cheese" stands alone. Congrats on the call up - well earned.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | March 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

If Pinizzotto plays tonight, that would be a wonderful story. I played in college with a friend of his; they grew up in Mississauga, Ontario, a suburb of Toronto. Good for him.

Posted by: Moose16 | March 24, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Pinizzotto? Oooh, interesting choice. I'm guessing the Varly move is to get him some playing time in Hershey and give Neuvirth a break. I'm guessing he's here to back Theodore, because there's no reason not to play Theodore the next two.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 24, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Uhh what. Why would Varlamov be sent down?

Posted by: TJ2008 | March 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@TJ2008: Theodore will be playing the next two games - absolutely no reason why he shouldn't. Varlamov is probably being sent down to get him some ice time in Hershey with Neuvirth, while Machesney is up here to back Theodore.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 24, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Pinizzotto is the best Italian name since Lou Franciscetti.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 24, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think kittypawz' assessment sounds accurate. I don't see how it helps Varlamov to sit on the bench when he could play in a few games with the Bears.

There are so many names to remember! I get giddy just thinking about all that talent in Hershey, itching to put on a Caps sweater. Pinizzotto. I'm guessing he'll be in for Semin. Nice!

Go Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 24, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"Varlamov had to be sent down so the Caps could squeeze Pinizzotto and (and an inexpensive backup goalie) under the cap. "

I thought that was very clear.

Posted by: tELb | March 24, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

If it was OV who had the flu and was laid up in bed I would understand ..But its Alex Sittingout Semin who for all i know is thinking is might catch the flu.
Semin get off your butt and help your team get out of their 2 week skid!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@ All

Doesn't anyone read what Tarik writes (unless it wasn't posted at first) that they had to send Varly down due to the Salary Cap constraints....

Also, Tarik...did you here even McPhee now has the Flu...he was suppose to travel with the team and due the XM NHL this morning show tomorrow in the Toronto studios but now isn't making the trip....

please get the flu bug out of the room prior to the playoffs..geez!

Posted by: rdiehljr | March 24, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

tELb: I wrote that before I saw the update :) I was wrong, but hey, it's happened before and will again. Makes sense either way. Things probably are pretty tight given the mess we've had all year with injuries.

I do hope Pinner makes the lineup.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 24, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@rdiehljr: I do, but I had written my comments as an offhand guess before he got the updates up. It happens sometimes :) I didn't realize that we were that close to the cap.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 24, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

DC back to Bettman suspending players for missing a meaningless Allstar game yet they they can miss games at the end of the year with "flu-like symptoms"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I have heard a couple of versions of who SC1907 is:
1) He is a Caps player having fan with the bloggers and teasing Semin
2) He is a Caps player who does not like Semin.
My best source, a person that socialize with some of them, has confirmed the first version.
LOL.

Posted by: tELb | March 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"even McPhee now has the Flu"

If the flu bug is that wide spread, we may be in for a rough performance tonight. Fortunately we have a little break in having only 2 games in the next 8 days.

Posted by: decoy13 | March 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Pinizzotto first RIT Tiger in the NHL? way to go Steve!

Posted by: fauxrumors | March 24, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Skid? 5-2 in the last 2 weeks, man your a tuff one to please eh?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 24, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

Are you planning on doing an article about how few tickets are left for the playoffs and next year's season? I just got mine and the playoffs are almost entirely sold out, and only a few seats remain in the building (under 200, I imagine not counting the suite level the Capitals don't own) for the 09-10 season. This is great for the Caps, but it is going to make it harder to bring more casual fans into the game. I guess there is always road-tripping to the Bears.

Posted by: AMHV2772 | March 24, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

As a graduate of UR (University of Rochester, the arch-rival of RIT, aka Rochester Tech) I hope that Pinizzotto gets in the game... admittedly he is a rival, but UR doesn't have a hockey team, alas, so RIT was the team we sort of pulled for...

grudgingly...

sort of...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | March 24, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

As a former RIT alumni (2003 & 2005) - I am ecstatic at the possibility of Steve getting the call tonight!

Posted by: cupcrzy | March 24, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

You had a chance to get rid of "the flu bugs" But the trade deadline has now passed ...LIVE WITH IT!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Brought over from previous thread:

FYI, did some pain-staking analysis of the Caps season in 7 game chunks last night since a playoff series is 7 games. If you take every 7 game stretch as a series, for example game 1-7, 2-8, 3-9, etc. The Caps look pretty darn good, even with some 3 game losing streaks. Remember any of the OTLs, which for the Caps typically end in a shoot-out loss, we would play real hockey until someone wins.

There has been a total of 68 7-game stretches thus far this season. 42 of the 68 the Caps have won at least 4 of 7 which of course would clinch a series. Now any OTL you see below the schedule did not specify whether the Caps lost in a shoot-out or in the 5 minute OT. If I remember correctly we lost all but one OT in the Shootout. So the OTLs would, like I said earlier, be decided playing real hockey.

8- 7-game stretches: 3-3-1
5- 7-game stretches: 3-4
1- 7-game stretch: 2-3-2 (18 Oct-4 Nov)
1- 7-game stretch: 2-4-1 (24 Feb-8 Mar)
1- 7-game stretch: 2-5 (20 Nov-2 Dec)

So, like I said the Caps look pretty good. Even in this ugly month of March, which has been a .500 hockey month (5-5-1), the Caps would have only had 1 7 game stretch in which they lost 4 games out of 7.

I realize this may be over-analyzing the season but if the Caps are not accustomed to losing, they are not going to just accept it come playoff time.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 24, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@StanleyCup 1907

11 out of 16 pts is a 2 week skid?

Posted by: SA-Town | March 24, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I doubt if Cheese feels that good about this call-up since the only reason he 'got the call' is because he's a cheaper goalie.

Posted by: hersheybearfan | March 24, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

cupcrzy

What major? I was ECT 2003 as well.

Is it bad for me to root for Semin/Brads to take the night off?

Posted by: FFSEnough | March 24, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

@SC1907 - nothing wrong with "flu bugs". They always give maximum effort.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 24, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Do you know the reason why BB has not given Laich a chance on the first line with 8,19. I think he would be perfect for picking up Ovi's rebounds and hopefully scoring some goals.

Posted by: sonotgrood | March 24, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@ tELb:

I cannot believe that any Caps player would spend so much time on this silly blog. This seems entertaining only for wannabes, not people that are really doing it.

Interesting hypothesis. I will be interested to see if you ever get the no-kidding truth (is there such a thing on the Internet?). I think that we would need Tarik or Lindsay to confirm any assertions you make before I would believe them.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 24, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

If they let Pinozotto play, we know that will be at least two less stick penalties that the Caps will have to kill as compared to if Semin plays.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 24, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Keep everyone feeling a little under the weather out of the locker room. Not because of how they might play but you don't want this to spread. Even if it's cleared up before the playoffs they need to play well the last 5 or so games of the season to be ready for the playoffs. Having a few guys coming back from being sick right before the post-season isn't a smart way to go. Still need to work on consistency in a few areas and intensity to be ready for the playoffs.

Posted by: Stu_c | March 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

And, before anyone asks for a scouting report from us RIT alums, he was after my time. He left after 2 years at RIT to join the Bears.

Posted by: FFSEnough | March 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@ kittypawz

No worries...we're really close to the cap due to the Pothier return...that has thrown everything all over the place...and I think Alzner will be back if possible after tonight or Friday's game which will be quite the trick as well...

(or at least I hope he'll be back up here)

Posted by: rdiehljr | March 24, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Some two week skid, 5-2-1 record including 4-2 on the road, OV scores his 50th, Green has 5 goals in 4 games, and Semin had 2 goals 6 assists, plus a shootout winner. God, you suck!

Posted by: boomer44 | March 24, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

You guys love stats here is one for you! if you think your team is not in a season ending skid
Last 5 losses
LOSS 4-1 CAR. (possible 1st round matchup)
LOSS 5-1 ATL. (out of playoffs)
LOSS 2-1 TOR (out of playoffs)
LOSS 5-2 CAR possible 1st round matchup)
LOSS 6-2 FLO. (out of playoffs)
Yup rest those stars!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@FFSEnough

I was Information Technology...

Yes, he was just beyond my time as well, so I have no clue about him.

However, I did just inform RIT News Services about the possible NHL debut tonight. They seemed rather receptive to the idea - maybe they'll run a story. :)

Posted by: cupcrzy | March 24, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@crooks_c

If you take notice, SC1907 is posting at times when the players are on the ice practicing or playing the games. No way is it "one of them teasing Semin."

Posted by: tess2201 | March 24, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

rdiehljr

We'll see Alzner as a playoff call-up, but I doubt much before the last game or two of the year.

Oh, wait, we're almost at the last game or two!

FYI:
Magic number is 6 points.

And don't look now, but Pens fell to 6th last night with a game in hand on CAR. Would anyone put it past them to CHOOSE to play US vs PHI like they chose who they played last year?

Posted by: FFSEnough | March 24, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@SC1907 you forgot the shootout loss to pIttsburgh, the team Philly will eliminate in the 1st round

Posted by: boomer44 | March 24, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I have it on good authority that SC1907 is Don Cherry. At least thats what all my sources that know him tell me. And all my Capital player friends just assured me that it isn't one of them.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 24, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

@rdiehljr: I doubt it. We're healthy-scratching D-men and have cap issues as it is. I think Alzner stays down for the year.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 24, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@FFSEnough: Absolutely I wouldn't put it past them. All the more reason for us to angle for that second seed; make it more difficult!

Posted by: kittypawz | March 24, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@SC1907

Odds are you are a fan of an Atlantic Division team, which the Caps are 13-2-4 vs. You should clean your house before you try to destroy ours.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 24, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

RE: Season Tickets, there are season ticket packages available in the Club Level (200 level) thru the Verizon Center for the Caps. My buddy and I bought tickets there from a guy he plays adult hockey with, Ron Potter. His phone number is 202.661.5110.

Posted by: boomer44 | March 24, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@mikebrady1

That would make sense, as Don Cherry was born in 1907.

Posted by: cupcrzy | March 24, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@ tess2201,

Good point and one I intended to make.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 24, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

guys (and ladies), seriously, going back and forth with someone with no sense of reality, no proof to back up arguments and has no command of the english language is futile...it's like talking to a monkey, you make a great point and he looks at you blankly and then eats fleas off one of his friends. Unless you like making fun of him, then by all means.

Posted by: Moose33 | March 24, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who is more stupid SC07, or the people who respond to him. Ignore the problem and it goes away.

Posted by: gtydings | March 24, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Pinner is a tough guy, I wish the Bears would play him more. He always plays with intensity and checking guys.

Posted by: HBFan | March 24, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ignore the problem and it goes away.

Is that the Caps Motto!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@StanleyCup1907

Ok, so if we're going to play that game let's look at the last 5 wins

@ Nashville 2-1 (Currently 8th seed)
@ Philadelphia 2-1 (Currently 4th seed)
VS Carolina 5-4 (Currently 6th seed)
@ Florida 3-0 (Tied for 8th seed)
@ Tampa 5-2 (Out of playoffs)

So, we can beat playoff teams and lose to teams that we don't care about? What exactly are you trying to say?

Posted by: DirtyDannyV | March 24, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

poguesmahone: yup, with semin out of the line-up and Pinozotto in, there MIGHT be less penalties. In that same scenario there will be less goals and outright opportunities.

SC1907: Caps last 5 wins
Predators: 2-1 (on the road, 8th seed in west)
Flyers: 2-1 (in Philly, 4th seed in the East)
Hurricanes: 5-4 (5th seed in the East)
Panthers: 3-0 (Tied for 8th in pts, Habs sinking)
Lightning: 5-2

By the way the win prior to going back to the 5th win was against the Bruins in Boston. Sit down and keep coloring.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 24, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I really hope Pinner gets in tonight, he made a fan of me when I saw him play in the rookie game. Tough kid.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | March 24, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are the only team without a losing record against all of the Eastern Conference playoff teams. The worst teams for us this season: 3-3 vs. Carolina, 2-2 vs. NJD, 2-2 vs. Flyers. Against everyone else, winning records.

I think the first round will be:

Boston v. Habs
NJD v. Rags
Caps v. Pens
Flyers v. Canes

I think Carolina holds the fifth seed for a few reasons: I think they'll be better down the stretch and I think they'd rather have the Caps in the first round than the Flyers. Didn't the Pens back off last season to avoid the Flyers until the Conference Finals?

Posted by: saintex | March 24, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I dont have a problem with trolls. If they want to come on here and prove that the Caps arent as good as we think they are then fine.

If they come with dumb points, and call 11 out of your last 16 pts a skid...then I'll let them know about it.

He can rag on Semin..it's the same thing this board has done all year...like we really care...we're not giving the guy a new contract...Other teams want to believe Semin is a dud, and then he burns Boston like he does, and they are STUNNED.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 24, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Bottom Line

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Bottom Line

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

The having the Caps in the first round from the last was the Pens, not the Canes. Although I don't think they'd mind, either.

Posted by: saintex | March 24, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Right now, no one wants that fifth seed...the Flyers are going to be tough in the opening round.

Posted by: saintex | March 24, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought Adam Oates was an RIT guy.

Posted by: chasedano@gmail.com | March 24, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

i have it on good authority that the only reason they called up pinizzotto is that the equipment guys had extra zz and tt's to get rid of. w/ all the russians on the team, not much use for those letters.

you know ron weber would have had some stat about how he's the first caps player to have multiple consonants in his name...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 24, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought I read teams were allowed only 4 call-ups (excluding emergency call-ups) after the trade deadline. So how many do the Caps have left?

Posted by: honed | March 24, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtydings | March 24, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... I think I may have just been called stupid, but then I am sorta dumb, so maybe I'm wrong...

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 24, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lindsay,

Can we get a "next post" and "previous post" links added at the bottom of the comments? Since we all end up at the bottom it would be better to not have to roll back to the top.

Thanks again for the good work.

Posted by: saintex | March 24, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Steve Pinizzotto was recalled to replace Semin on RW but his stats are lame (0 goals in 20 games). I assume he will be invisible today.

As for Semin than hes a TOP 5 NHL player in stats per game today (Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin and Crosby) and trading any of this guy is SIMPLY MENTAL :)

Posted by: Hazz | March 24, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

sc1907,

Yup, couldn't agree more. The Caps sure did lose to some crappy teams.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 24, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907: "Bottom Line
Why do you want a player who is payed FULL price to play at part time... Hello NO CUP CAPS... there are many others who would kill for the chance and the money and play a whole season ."

Because he produces when he does play. He has more goals than Crosby and has played many less games. Not to pick on Bradley, but are you saying that a team would rather have a Bradley for 82 games than a Semin for 60. I don't think so.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 24, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

yes, i believe that any player who is injured or sick should be forced to play or be suspended indefintely. yeah, that makes a ton of sense. you really should stop cause you are making less and less sense, if that's possible.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 24, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@everyone - Please quit feeding the trolls!

Re: Flu - Having worked in a cube farm, I am well aware that the flu catches one person, then another, then a third, and it might just come back for a second round with the first person before it's done, if people come in to work feeling sick. This is how influenza works. I'd far rather sit the guys who are showing "flu-like symptoms" than risk having them pass the bug along until it goes epidemic through the entire locker room. It's just smart, and it's why people are told to STAY HOME when they're sick!

Posted by: irockthered | March 24, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: honed | March 24, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

i think all of the call ups have been emergency except for cheese. so i guess they have 3 left.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 24, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

saintex, I maintain a chart of the Caps season series versus each Eastern Conference team and I keep it at http://kurly.net:666/CapsStats.txt

I do mine on a 'points' basis instead of straight up wins and losses, so I have us winning the season series with BOS, NJ, PIT, NYR, MON, OTT, TB, and NYI. Our only lost season series is with PHI. We split the season series with CAR, and we have clinched at least a split with each of FLA, BUF, and TOR. This leaves only the ATL series in question, tied at 4 points apiece with two games (1 home, 1 away) left.

As for playoff predictions, I don't play that game. :) And yes, Pittsburgh did lose their last game in order to dodge someone, I don't remember who. I think they should change the seeding a little bit and name it the Pittsburgh Rule. Instead of the current system of 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5... they give the #1 seed the first pick of who (5/6/7/8) they want to play -- which may well wind up being #8. Then the same choice is afforded to the 2, 3, and 4 seeds. An alternate method would allow the #1 seed to pick whomever they want (...even 2-4). Either method would eliminate this whole "intentionally tanking games" business.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 24, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

So, does Pinizzotto play right wing and goalie? Second paragraph begins by stating he plays right wing. It ends by stating he is backup goalie. Am I reading this wrong?

Posted by: UngaBunga | March 24, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@everyone saying to stop feeding the trolls

that is as annoying as the trolls, actually more annoying

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 24, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"flu-like symptoms"....DC please watch Tariks video ...Do I have to explain everything!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, dcsportsfan. I missed a week's worth of news, did a double-take when I saw Pothier playing.
The Pens lost to the Sens in the last game of the season, to conveniently miss a Flyers series. jerks :P

Posted by: honed | March 24, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@UngaBunga - Machesney (the other call-up) is the "inexpensive backup goalie".

Posted by: irockthered | March 24, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I was impressed with Steve Pinizzotto at Development Camp last summer -- I don't remember why, I just recall putting a check by his name on the roster. I hope he gets to play.

Posted by: uncatim | March 24, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@ SC1907:

The Caps will rest and heal and things will unfold as they should. If that means we hoist Lord Stanley's Cup, then great. That said, I'll still be pleased of they go deeper into the playoffs than last season: step by step, inch by inch.

To even suggest that the Caps will "never" win the Cup is just as delusional as saying that any team is "guaranteed" to win it.

BTW: What the H do you mean "stop using my lines"?

Please. What was I supposed to do: dig through every post you've ever made, just to make sure I wouldn't be guilty of plagiarism?

FYI, I admit the phrase was not original, but you weren't the first to say/type it either; you don't "own" it.

What part of "Go Away" do you not understand? Please go crawl back under your bridge...

...in Pittsburgh.

You'll get no further fodder from me, troll.

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@Greg,

That's cool. I based my numbers on the W/L numbers since there's no point value in the playoffs. Either way, the team is very good against everyone on the conference.

I love the playoff opponent draft idea.

Posted by: saintex | March 24, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@Greg,

I love the playoff opponent draft idea.

Posted by: saintex | March 24, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@ honed

Yep and also Pens wanted to play Sens in 1st round of PO because Daniel Alfredsson was injured

Posted by: Hazz | March 24, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40 ...no need to search through old posts cause you should have remembered I used that line on you last year

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@ irockthered Yeah, I know Machesney is the backup goalie. I was reading it wrong. In parenthesis is states "AND an...." I didn't see the "AND"... guess I'm not awake yet. Thanks, regardless, for the response.

Posted by: UngaBunga | March 24, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I agree, mikebrady1. That's as bad as people walking past a person getting robbed or getting the crap kicked out of them and doing nothing. Beating a troll at their game is more effective than having them make their snarky comments without adequate response. It probably requires just a bit more energy but if people have the energy and intellect to respond with making the troll feel even less of a threat and more stupid, then I say, allow us the fun and entertainment.

I'd rather beat down on a troll occasionally.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 24, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Pinizotto will fit nicely on the checking line and Bourque can get his shot with a scoring line either on the right side of Feds and Laich or with Fehr and Nylander depending on which line they throw Flash with. I'd like to see him also get a little PP point time, every time I've seen him play it in Hershey, he has great control of it and has speed to catch any odd man breaks as well.

Posted by: BBDwrestling | March 24, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Pinizzotto makes his presence known on the ice tonight. It's his debut and I'm all for him showing that he deserves to play in the big leagues. Good luck, Steve Pinizzotto!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 24, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Pens lost to the Flyers last year last game 2-0

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | March 24, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Lefty You dont mean like Semin "beats down" do ya? LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@StanleyCup1907

The nerve of Alex Semin! Getting hurt or getting sick and missing games!?!?! Who the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks does he think he is?

To the best of my knowledge, Semin makes around 3 mil a season, Clark makes around 2.5, Federov is making 4, and OV is making 10+

So dollars for points it breaks down like this.

Semin- $42,857 a point
Ovechkin- $107,526 a point
Fedorov- $142,877 a point
Clark- $416,666 a point

How do you figure we're overpaying Semin again?

Posted by: DirtyDannyV | March 24, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907:

Alex Sittingout Semin

you do have a point - semin has trouble playing a full season. here is a comparison to another elite player in the league (from 06-07 through today):
Alex Sittingout Semin: 195 of 238 games
Cindy Mygynhurts Crysby: 201 of 238 games

should pit fans even attend games when they play his full salary for part time work?

BTW - i don't mind your posts. you provoke some very interesting responses - it is all entertaining - thanks

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 24, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Pittsburgh Rule. Instead of the current system of 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5... they give the #1 seed the first pick of who (5/6/7/8) they want to play -- which may well wind up being #8. Then the same choice is afforded to the 2, 3, and 4 seeds"

What a great idea Greg.

How are you guys quoting earlier posts? - I'm not seeing a button

Posted by: Redwolf1 | March 24, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

wow, i stand corrected because there is a significant difference between the two. so by your logic, teams cannot make their own decisions when to sit player. so no healthy scratches allowed. it all has to be vetted through bettman. got it.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 24, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought Adam Oates was an RIT guy.

Posted by: chasedano@gmail.com | March 24, 2009 12:14 PM

I think/thought he was RPI (along with Juneau)

Posted by: Section117 | March 24, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Dear Lindsay,

The report abuse button results in a reply email stating that the original couldn't be delivered. FYI.

: )

Posted by: oo7 | March 24, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@ SC1907: And here I was thinking your posts were merely ignorant and annoying. Pardon me...

...for neglecting to notice that they are also filled with exaggerations, distortions, half-truths and even some outright lies.

Some folks have disagreed with my posts in the past (which is OK), but none has gone so far as to insult me personally. Get your facts straight.

"We're done here"

--Adm. William Adama

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

DC did i say never ! But I do think the league should implement a rule that you have to have so many games played to qualify for post season each team would be allowed say 2 exceptions
As for the all-star game .
Players who do not attend the all-star game in some form are not eligible for NHL Awards

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Lefty You dont mean like Semin "beats down" do ya? LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 12:39 PM

With all due respect, I don't expect Semin to really be gifted in fighting. Hockey is another thing and he seems to be doing fine in that area. Rest assured, if I am given the opportunity to beat down a few trolls (looking at you SC1907), you'd wish I only had Semin's fighting skills. Best wishes to you and your delusions.

Semin rocks!

SC1907

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 24, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@chasedano
Adam Oates played at RPT not RIT. 82-85.
Got his degree in 91.

Posted by: jgmd | March 24, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Rhino you will get over it lol

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

previous should have been RPI not RPT

Posted by: jgmd | March 24, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Lefty..well at least you give me respect

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

As a current RIT student, I've seen him play up here in my first year (2006). This kid is good. He can hit and score.

Good luck Steve!

We'll be rooting for you tonight.

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: RITdude | March 24, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907: Oops. That was unintentional. *squirts water @ SC1907 from a water gun* *points at SC1907 with authority "NO. Bad troll."

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 24, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse