Posted at 4:21 PM ET, 12/22/2010

Penguins a 'measuring stick' for Capitals

By Katie Carrera

Coach Bruce Boudreau called it a "mini turnaround" that the Capitals are on right now, adding that he'd only deem his team officially past the eight-game losing streak until they won 10 straight. And he was only partially joking.

While two straight wins are definitely a welcome change for Washington after struggling for the better part of December through the worst losing streak in three seasons, the mood at KCI on Wednesday was that the Pittsburgh Penguins will provide a more-than-adequate test to see if the Capitals really are progressing the way they believe they are.

"If we're going to do well, you have to play well against them," Mike Knuble said. "They've been on an incredible run and we've been on an incredible run, too -- in another direction. It'll be a good hockey game, they're a great hockey team and a really great measuring stick for us to see if what we're doing is really in the right direction."

Heading into a matchup with Florida tonight, the Penguins are second in the NHL and Eastern Conference with the league's leading scorer in Sidney Crosby on a 21-game point streak. Should he extend that run against the Panthers, Crosby will tie the longest scoring streak since the lockout, set by Dany Heatley in 2005. The Capitals are looking forward to the challenge, but at the same time, they understand Thursday's game will require an attention to detail they've often lacked during the losing streak.

"It's a great barometer to see where we're at because they're playing the best hockey of arguably any team in the NHL right now," Boudreau said. "So when you play against the best you find where you have to go and where you have to be."

Said Mike Green: "I think it's a good challenge for us, the way things have gone for them and for us trying to pull out of this funk. It was important for us to get that last win, but we don't want to take a step backwards....It's always fun playing against them because of the hype, but in the end, we prepare the same, with the same type of routine. There's just a little more of a rivalry there than against other teams."

The Capitals' power play, which is 5-for-43 in the past 12 games, likely won't have a reprieve against the Penguins. Pittsburgh's penalty kill is ranked first in the NHL, successful 88.2 percent of the time and has allowed just 17 power-play goals against all season.

Washington spent the majority of Wednesday's practice working on different power-play looks and drills, but like the slumps that the Capitals' young guns have fallen into it's a funk that the unit just needs to work its way out of.

"I think a lot of times, our power-play guys are getting out worked by the penalty killers," Knuble said. "We probably have to work a little harder, a little smarter. Probably one of the reasons why our streak went on so long was the power-play failure. When it comes around it wins a lot of games for you. Even if you just get one one goal a game, it is such a big difference in winning or losing. Going down the line, that's going to be a huge part of if we're going to be successful."

--Don't forget that the second episode of HBO's "24/7" airs tonight at 10 p.m. and will be replayed immediately at 11 p.m.

By Katie Carrera  | December 22, 2010; 4:21 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Boudreau, Mike Green, Mike Knuble, Pittsburgh Penguins, Power play
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sidney Crosby congratulated Andrew Gordon on first NHL goal
Next: Episode 2 of 24/7: There's a lobster in your jacket

Comments

Just 2 points.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 22, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Penguins Suck!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 22, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Stick Andrew Gordon on the right wing of the PP for some energy and speed. Nine of his 16 goals for the Bears this season have been on the PP. And in last year's Calder Cup playoffs six of his 13 goals were on the PP.

Posted by: dull | December 22, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

repost from previous thread:

I don't like the Pens, therefore I don't like Crosby, but what would you all say if he was ever signed by the Caps? Different story or could you learn to like him?

I haven't decided on that yet, but since my love for the Caps is deeper than a player, I am leaning towards accepting him.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 22, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

So much jealousy from that last post on Crosby.

Typical uneducated, jealous, cowardly fans of a team that has never won. Tossing insults behind your computer at someone like Crosby who is the ultimate model for your children makes you real tough and knowledgeable huh?

To say that Crosby is still a whiner when he clearly isn't anymore shows how blind and ignorant you really are with the game.

If OVI was half the kind of person Crosby is he would really be the best player in the world. And a substantially better person too.

Crosby does not possess the best talent but what makes him the best is his work ethic, his character, leadership, and commitment to the team. He is dedicated and giving to the community and to the game more than anyone in this league including OVI.

Do you ever hear about Crosby partying it up with some ho's anywhere? Do you ever hear about Crosby hitting the clubs late night throughout the year? Do you ever hear about Crosby disappointing his fans or physically assaulting filmakers and photographers? Do you ever hear about Crosby being unprofessional towards those who helped jump start his career?

Can't say the same for OVI. But it's OK, keep bashing Crosby, just because you will never be anywhere close to the kind of person he is, and neither will your precious OVI. Keep dreaming.

Posted by: BigGameSid | December 22, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see Crosby in a caps jersey. As long as he doesn't suck like Jagr did when he got here.

Posted by: Dizruption | December 22, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Right now most of you would happily trade Ovi for Sid if you could...

Posted by: joek443 | December 22, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@ BigGameSid: Unless you're a team member, related, dating (very likely from the sounds of it), or the child of Mr. Sidney Crosby, your ability to gauge his "work ethic, his character, his leadership, and his commitment to the team" is moot and biased. For all your preaching, you might as well take your soapbox to the Verizon Center and truly learn the effectiveness of your statements. Please. The Capitals' faithful welcome it. Wear your pads. You will need them.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 22, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

BigGameSid:
i guess you told everyone here - didn't you?

you come on here and bash ovi every chance you get - and when someone talks about your precious sidney - you whine - i wonder where you learned that from. is your next trick to punch someone in the n*tsack from behind?

your welcome here with your comments like everyone else - but don't be hypocritical - it makes you look like a crysby.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 22, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

@ BigGameSid: You remind me of that guy who had that youtube video where he was wearing mascara and crying as he pleaded for the paparazzi to leave Britney Spears alone. Now there's a mental image for ya'!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 22, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Darn it! I forgot to wear my cup when I posted something negative about Crosby. DOH!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 22, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@Capt

The difference between my criticism of OVI and Caps fans' criticism of Crosby is that mine is legit and yours is blatantly false and misguided.

People claim he's still a whiner, well he's not.

My criticism of OVI may be harsh but it's all true. Point to me one thing I've said about him that is wrong. Do I have to go through the entire list again? I don't make the stuff up. They are all over the web and the news for everyone to see.

You find something legit to criticize Crosby and I'm totally fine with it. Hey, posters flame me constantly on here... do I care? No. So please drop the crying nonsense.

Btw... about OVI, what do you Americans think when he says he thinks American women are fat/nasty or whatever, that the driving laws in the States are pathetic, and the food here sucks... all compared to Mother Russia of course. Have I missed anything else? I guess it's OK to all of you because he's on your team. If anyone else said that you'd be insulting them like you do with Sid.

Posted by: BigGameSid | December 22, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

BigLameCindy,

At least Ovi likes girls.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 22, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Cyd, I've never seen anything in the press that indicates that Crosby has ever dated a woman or a girl. Maybe I just missed the reports.

BTW, do you wear red lipstick to match your hero?

Posted by: zmega | December 22, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

As Herm Edwards once said, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME, HELLO??".

I could NOT care less what these guys are like in real life, if they're nice or jerks. All I wanna know is can they play? As long as they're not doing anyting criminal, I really don't care.

I cheer for the jersey they wear, NOT the individuals. I don't care who they are, if they can't play I want them outta here.

That goes for Ovi too... If I thought that all he's gonna be was a $8M/year 30-goal scorer from now on, I wouldn't hesitate to trade him to the team with the best offer right now.

Posted by: joek443 | December 22, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@ BigGameSid: How do you explain to a kid that it is okay to sucker punch someone's nutsack from behind? Do you spin it into a tale of taking opportunities when it's presented to you? Do you justify pulling someone's shirt over their head so they can't see and explain to your kid that Crosby was being smart by first making sure his opponent can't see before you start wailing on them with your fists? Hmm. I'd be hard pressed to tell my kid that they should idolize Crosby. I can think of better role models.

Let me know too when Crosby starts dating girls. That discussion with you will be epic. Our condolences that you find it insulting that Ovi doesn't like full-figured American women. Never figured Crosby to be a chubby-chaser. Hmm.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 22, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

"People claim he's dirty, well he's not. If he is, OVI is just as dirty if not more, just based on record alone. That's a double standard."

you've claimed ovi doesn't have any work ethic (parties all the time) - which is just your opinion - but you state it as fact. crosby might not be dirty - but some of his actions on the ice are lame. if you don't like what people here have to say about his past antics because they are no longer true - you should do the same.
i don't care for crosby for two reasons. he was labeled as the face of the nhl before he even played a game and he wears a pen jersey.
right now he is the best player in the nhl but appears to me to still be a bit childish.
if you want a love fest of crosby you should be on a pens blog - i doubt your bashing of ovi and defense of crosby will change any opinions here.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 22, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

@BigGameSid

This player survey was less than 2 years ago. 52% of the players surveyed said that Crosby was the biggest whiner on the ice. 2nd place only scored 8%!!! That is a huge discrepency.

This isn't a random writer or poster stating this. It is the views of the NHL players themselves.

I am not trying to disparage Crosby as a player or a person off the ice as I think he is a wonderful player and I do not know him personally to make any judgments of his off-the-ice persona.

But it is clear that most NHL hockey players not only consider him a whiner, but they consider him the biggest whiner of all.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 22, 2010 6:18 PM

i agree with joek443 - my head hurts from just typing that.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 22, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

So what are you saying, Crosby's a homosexual? Hey there's nothing wrong with that, to each his own. I still like his compete level and skill.

Crosby does not possess the best talent?
and you say we're uneducated, jealous, and cowardly.

He indeed possesses talent as good as any other player currently playing. Maybe you should stop spanking to his pics and watch him actually play, then you too would be educated. Not jealous either, if we didn't have OV I would definitely be jealous. And cowardly? I live in Laurel Maryland, you name a time and place and I'll be happy to take you to task on this as well.

BigLameSid- I've seen some rather intelligent posts from you at times on here, but usually your posts are just typical troll sh@*. I'm the Big Billy Goat Gruff and I defiantly walk over your bridge. Watcha gonna do tough guy tossing insults "behind your computer screen" as you said?

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 22, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

People claim he's still a whiner, well he's not. *smalltoycindy**
----------------------------------------
My @ss! He was just whinning and throwing hissy fits on the ice right before your winning streak! Do you mean to tell me that you don't watch your own team? Your own idol? The one that has you so passionate that you come on your rivals blog to rip on their MVP? And praise yours?

Naaaa, he's not whinning & your not incredibly misguided by coming on here!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 22, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I live in Laurel Maryland

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 22, 2010 6:35 PM

get out - get out while you can. jk. i spent the first 30 or so years of my life there - but it is still where i claim 'home' is

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 22, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought I might have been a bit harsh with my comments about our top four after last nights game but after reading through a lot of the posts I see a lot of you had similar thoughts. It seemed to me that they were a bit stung by what the call-ups were doing out there because I thought there was an uptick in their level of effort, especially Ovi. However, despite the uptick they weren't able to score. I think they need to be scoring in order for the Caps to put up 5 goals tomorrow night. Also, I don't see our D being able to hold the Pens to 2 goals especially with the way Crosby and Malkin have been putting up points the last 5 games. The Pens also have an impressive away record so far this season 11 wins, 5 losses. Bottom line, I think the Caps will be doing well to get a point from this game.

Soberly, floridacapsfan.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 22, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh sorry, it's really not a rivalry!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 22, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Capt- LOL, so YOU at least know why I can get a bit ornery at times, and I've only lived here for 14 years.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 22, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I thought Philadelphia was the measuring stick since they are the "Defending Conference Champions" and have more points than Pittsburgh. BTW, BigLameStick is probably a closet Capital's fan since he likes to participate in Capitals blogs so often. He is like a guy who is still kind of unsure of his orientation but still hangs around bars of another persuasion just to see what it is like. He will even try to deny the truth by mocking his tormentors. It is OK to come out of the closet, Sid-wannabee. Crosby did it, so can you.

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 22, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

crosby is classy and the best player in the world...does he whine? yup ...does he win...absolutely... and he is definitely kicking ov's butt for mvp...he is a winner and a whinner and is alot more intense and successful than our chubby # 8

Posted by: wendel2 | December 22, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

----------------------

That means absolutely nothing unless these guys put their names next to the voting.

Derek Jeter gets voted the most over-rated player in MLB just about every year by a bunch of jealous players.

Posted by: joek443 | December 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

@Wendel

Sid is the best player THIS YEAR....to think that you know better than the actual NHL players that voted Ovie the best for 3 straight in insane.

I am a caps fan and an Ovie fan. I can admit that Ovie is having a bad year (so far) Hopefully he will turn it around. I hate Crosby b/c he is a Penguin and a whiny goody good who can do no wrong acording to all of Canada...No one was giving him a hard time when the Pens got off to a horrible start this season, but if ANYTHING goes wrong with the Caps, it is Ovie that gets the blame.

And all of you who poke fun at Sid's sexual orientation...I realize it is just for fun, but what if he really is a homosexual? Pick something else to make fun of...there is plenty to choose from.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Dammit Crosby ... Er I mean cstanton, quit posting in here!

Posted by: guer_j | December 22, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

@crapcoach yes he is the best this year not 5 or 10 years ago or even 3 but hey i didnt talk about the past...you did...he is the best RIGHT now...ov has dropped out of the top 3 or 5 ... who knows how far he will drop

Posted by: wendel2 | December 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

@wendel

well that was mature! You made a statement and I guess I misinterpreted your post...you could have just explained that you were not referring to the past. When I hear someone say someone else is 'the best" I assume they are talking about overall...obviously u were only talking about this season. But to respondd the way you did was childish and unecessary.

and I agree that Ovie has dropped out of the top 3-5...I would go so far to say he has dropped out of the top 10.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

joek- I wouldn't trade Ovi for Sid. Crosby is a good player who plays for a good hockey organization. Ovi is a good player who plays for an organization that hasn't learned to build a winner. Swapping Sid and Ovi wouldn't make a difference to either club. Now if we could swap Ted for Mario, I'd do that in a second.

And if you want to know how well Crosby leads a team without a strong supporting cast, just look at early last year. The Pens and Crosby were awful.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 22, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

hey crapscoach... is is present tense, was is past tense, will be is future. Write this down and maybe other posts will be clearer for you

Posted by: wendel2 | December 22, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

@wendel

in case nobody has told you....you're a jerk. Might want to work on that.

Not sure why some on here have such an issue being civil.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

capscoach:
there's no accounting for all people

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 22, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------

LOL why go back to last year, how about this year?

Staal has been out ALL YEAR and Malkin has been in and outta the lineup as well. And Fleury was horrible early this year.

Where would the Caps be if Semin or Backs was out all year???

Posted by: joek443 | December 22, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Where would the Caps be if Semin or Backs was out all year???

Posted by: joek443

Well...probably the same considering that it is our 3rd and 4th liners that are winning us the games...well Semin WAS playing well before he got injured...so we might miss him.

In all seriousness though, they are both great players (one is having a bad season) Ovie is still too immature to be a truly great leader, and Crosby I am sure has his flaws as well.

Now...I am going to this game tomorrow and if we don't at least put in a good showing, I might have a small breakdown in front of some friends who have never seen that side of me.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Also Crosby has 27 goals and 57 points and the next best guy on the team is Malkin who has 13 goals and 30 points... does this look like Crosby has a strong supporting cast on offense??

Posted by: joek443 | December 22, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I'll be at tomorrow's game, too. What section are you in?

Posted by: nicety251 | December 22, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

LOL you must be kidding... the Caps only has one legit center iceman on the team, are you saying they wouldn't have missed him much all year???

that's really funny!!!

Posted by: joek443 | December 22, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@joek

the penguins have a strong overall team...maybe no other superstars, but consistent guys who are always contributing...also Malkin would have had a lot more points if he had not been in and out all season.

The Caps are still terribly inconsistent...but I think comparing leadership qualitites is silly...Ovie is who he is. Many great qualities, but maturity and responsibility are not one of them.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@nicety

112...my dad's client gave him the tickets as he couldn't go.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

@joek

of course we would miss him...but he has not been playing well lately, and my point was that our role players have been making the biggest impact over the past few weeks...not the stars...and my guess is that Crosby misses Malkin and Staal as well.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

@caps

Lucky you. I'll be in 411. Usually 118 once a month as a partial season tix holder.

Posted by: nicety251 | December 22, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Where would the Caps be if Semin or Backs was out all year???

_______________________________________

joek- That's my point. The Caps would be screwed without the big guns because the system relies heavily on them. The Pens play a more grinding, physical style which allows their veterans to open up the ice for or carry the load when the big guns are out or cold.

Look at their series against the Habs. Sid and Malkin had one goal each and Staal was out early in the series. Gill frustrated Crosby and threw him off his game. He couldn't set up shop in his office, making him ineffective for most of the series. The only goal he scored was (I believe) game 6 when Gill was out and Bergeron missed his assignment. It was the role players and defense that made that a 7 game series.

The Caps system is built to accommodate skill players. Most of our role players don't seem to know how to crash the net, block shots, deliver timely checks, get sticks in the passing lanes (especially in the neutral zone), and aggressively forecheck like the Pens. The Caps are too passive and seem lost whenever they don't have the puck in the offensive zone.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 22, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to tomorrow night's game as well. It looks like a lot of us on here are going.
I'll be in 427, most likely rocking the lonely red with a bunch of black and gold unfortunately, unless we score early and hold the lead for the entire 60 mins.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | December 22, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@nice

but at least you get to go to a bunch of games :) I can only afford a few games a year.

I really like that there are very few "bad" seats at VC. If I could afford season tickets, I think I would choose center ice in the 200's. I like to be able to see the whole rink and plays developing.

Posted by: capscoach | December 22, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

@joek

Nicky B has been "out" all season !!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 22, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

@joek

Nicky B has been "out" all season !!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 22, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Penguins win convincingly tonight, another two fights, Godard/Engelland not even in the lineup...man are they deep! I hope the Pens approach tomorrow's game like a grudge match against a despised rival and throw their meanest lineup possible against us. After they run roughshod over us, and beat us with their skill to boot, I'll be looking for the "it's just another game in December" response, as if that'll somehow excuse how far the team has fallen.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 22, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Let's put it in perspective Vermont, Pens won by a few goals against the 5th worst team in the NHL. You never know what Caps team will show up. They could pound the Pens into oblivion. If the top line starts to click, good things will happen. Really it depends on how well Neuvy is and how well our D is clicking.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 22, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps:
i find it amazing that you are looking forward to the caps losing.
good thing it's just another game in december and not april, may or june.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 22, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see 24/7 tonight? I found a couple parts interesting.

1. When Crosby and Dupuis are watching TV in their hotel room and I think Melrose was talking about Ovie's fight against the Rangers and how he is trying to be like Sid to pump up his team. Dupuis and Crosby start laughing and start talking, pretty much making fun of Sid's fight and basically dismissing it as funny, but inconsequential to how the rest of the season goes.

2. At the Pens Optional Skate on a Saturday, they had only FOUR players on the ice. FOUR. Crosby was not one. They had others in the stadium getting treatment, watching video, etc. in preparation of a game on a Monday. So for the people who freak out because Ovie or whomever is not on the ice for a morning skate, stop. There are many ways to prepare for a game, and Crosby prepared for that game by watching video or getting treatment.

(I only use Crosby as a reference because the people who complain about the morning skate are almost always the ones who says "a good captain like Crosby is always there".)

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@biggamesyd

I agree Crosby is a beast. He's a better all around hockey player than Ovi. Your organization wins cUps, while we golf.

There is a reason I can never cheer for Syd.

He's plays for an area of the country who's fans are basically a collection of @holes.

Kent Tekulvi's list of objects thrown at Dave Parker in right field by Pittsburgh fans after he signed "the first million dollar contract" in Rust town (Grounds crew used to store this stuff in bull pen)

1) bullets
2) duct taped pennies
3) quarters by the hundreds
4) Bolts
5) nuts
6) D batteries by the dozens
7) lip stick containers (3)
8) a shoe
9) a Pirates belt buckle
10)"million dollar Ni**er" cat calls all game

Before his "million dollar" contract Parker threw out 74 baserunners in 4 seasons.(WOW!) He hit a CAREER .290 for the Bucs.

He was a much bigger beast than Crosby ever will be.

Biggame , that stuff doesn't happen here.
So, if we have to wait another 10 years to win a cUp, at least we know that our fellow fans are decent people. Pittsburgh is a hell hole, just ask Dave Parker. You scream about your "city of champs", because
in your heart you know it is really a "city of @holes".

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 22, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@biggamesyd

There is a reason I can never cheer for Syd.

1) bullets
2) duct taped pennies
3) quarters by the hundreds
4) Bolts
5) nuts
6) D batteries by the dozens
7) lip stick containers (3)
8) a shoe
9) a Pirates belt buckle
10)"million dollar Ni**er" cat calls all game

He was a much bigger beast than Crosby ever will be.

Biggame , that stuff doesn't happen here.
in your heart you know it is really a "city of @holes".

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 22, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@biggamesyd

There is a reason I can never cheer for Syd.

1) bullets
2) duct taped pennies
3) quarters by the hundreds
4) Bolts
5) nuts
6) D batteries by the dozens
7) lip stick containers (3)
8) a shoe
9) a Pirates belt buckle
10)"million dollar Ni**er" cat calls all game

He was a much bigger beast than Crosby ever will be.

Biggame , that stuff doesn't happen here.
in your heart you know it is really a "city of @holes".

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 22, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@crapscoach you start ranting because you dont read or can't understand the post then call me a jerk. Get a life and a tutor that can visit you in your trailer park.

Posted by: wendel2 | December 22, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see 24/7 tonight? I found a couple parts interesting.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2

Currently Ovie is the three time reigning winner of the best player award awarded by the players(Lester B. Pearson award and now the Ted Lindsay award). Ovie still has the trophy and has had it for 3 years.

Crosby has played a great 35 games, but 35 games is not a season. It is a hot stretch. Best player awards are not given for hot stretches. If he continues his play throughout the season maybe he surpasses Ovie and wins the award, but until he does so it is Ovie's.

So Ovie is still the best player in the world, at least by view of the NHL players. And they have much more credibility than you.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 22, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

@SGM

Thanks for pointing something out from 2 years ago. I don't think I am bashing OVI's play during that time when he actually earned his paycheck every night.

@Leftcoast

Yes that looked pretty lame but if you think one incident like that makes it right to call him cheap/dirty, then I guess OVI should be labelled as a criminal for almost ending Campbell's career with that dirty, dirty push from behind on the boards. I don't think lightly tapping someone on the bottom is as career threatening as what OVI did, not just that but other borderline incidents too. And like I said many times I don't consider OVI a dirty player.

As for him "whining", every player, coach complains to the refs about calls / non calls or gets mad at stuff that he thinks should have been called/not-called. Oh, OVI complained about his goal being disallowed, he must be a whiner too now!! Umm.. reality check, it's not just Crosby who does that.

@Funky & all the dimwit haters who really feel less of a man than a superstar kid playing hockey:

Ok so Crosby doesn't go all wild like OVI does boozing in the public and making out with random chicks, that means he must be homo. I guess Yzerman and Sakic must've been homos too.

You can have a life, have girls, and party without having your face, body and other stuff printed all over magazines and the web like a complete goofball or pimp daddy. Is this too hard to understand for some of you?

Why is OVI the only one who seems to have the biggest question relating to off ice discipline compared to other players of the same category and profile? Let's not even talk about Sid. How about Malkin, Datsyuk, Sedins, Stamkos, Lidstrom and on and on... you see them doing or saying any of the eyebrow raising sht that OVI's done so far? You don't think that has contributed to OVI's lack of success and improvement this season?

Get real.

Keep hatin' haters. But at least hate for the right reasons.

Posted by: BigGameSid | December 22, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

But at least hate for the right reasons.

Posted by: BigGameSid | December 22, 2010 11:38 PM

there you go with your personal opinion again - it's ok for you to expect others to conform to your thoughts and ideals but only yours is right. sure - that will sway a lot of peoples opinions.
somehow i think that if ovi were from nova scotia and played for the pens - you'd be BigGameAlex and defending him at every turn.
face it - your a pens fan that loves Sidney and you should. you dislike ovi because he is sid's biggest individual rival - it should be that way.
we're fans of ovi's because he's on the caps and we (almost of of us) can't stand the pens - since sid is the face of the pens - he'll get most of the heat on this caps blog. get over yourself, please.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 22, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

BigGameSid is the pens fan version of sgm3...you have to agree with him all the time or you are wrong :)

Posted by: ThePat | December 23, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but Ovi has lost it -- I just hope not for good. He is a shell of himself. Ovi vs. Crosby is not an open debate anymore.

One has elevated his game to Gretzky-sphere and the other was too busy making DVDs that proclaim him GR8 over the summer.

Jeeeeez!!!

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | December 23, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

First off I want to apologize for acting like a nasty a$$wipe last night. We all have bad days but the measure of a person is not taking it out on others.

I'm going to trust Andrew Gordon's opinion and just say that Crosby isn't such a bad person. Last I knew, there were no open warrants from the Nova Scotia police for Sid kicking dogs or anything.

I thought the HBO show tonight was much less severe than episode 1 when the Caps were shown in such a foreboding posture. That said, McPhee still looks really weird always wearing those dark trenchcoats.

For tomorrow I will reiterate my prediction from last night that the Caps will win, 5-2. Last night the Caps put everything together but the 1st line. When the Caps play with all cylinders humming, they can't be stopped. Probelm is as we have seen it's just too hard to make those cylinders run like a cat purring enough to win 16 in the spring. The Caps are a Ferrari. The Pens are more of an American muscle car. Take that for what you want.

I didn't know about the 31 Dec "Alumni Game" between Caps and Pens until it was referenced tonight on HBO.

Here's hoping Bobby Gould suits up for the Caps and here's hoping he gives Mario a rough go in the game. And let's hope Dale Hunter also plays for the Caps. Wouldn't it be great to see those alumni drop the gloves? Think Mario will order pizza?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 23, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

"You can have a life, have girls, and party without having your face, body and other stuff printed all over magazines and the web like a complete goofball or pimp daddy."

---

Earlier in the thread, you said he doesn't do that at all because he's sooo committed to hockey. Now you're saying he does do that, he just hides it from the media?

So your biggest mark against OV is that he gets more media coverage for "partying" than Cindy? That's pretty weak.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 23, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

@Capt

The main opinion I have of OVI is that I don't think he should be considered one of the top players in the NHL anymore if his pace stays relatively the same by the end of the season. The reasons I provided for my opinion are not opinions, they're facts that have been revealed, discussed, disected, and talked about for years and haven't been made up. If you wish to ignore all of that then so be it.

If you think I'm really that far off based, take a look at this thread as a small sample and see what other NHL fans are saying:

(In case you're wondering I haven't posted on that thread)

Seems like we're just going to be going around in circles and the flames will probably continue... so we'll just disagree as usual.

Enjoy the game tomorrow, if it's anything like the DET-VAN game with 2 talented and good teams that I watched, we'll be in for a treat.

Posted by: BigGameSid | December 23, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

"For the nutsack punching reference, if you had someone laying on top of you, you can't push him off but your hands are free, I think you'd try to do anything to make him get off of you no? Or are you one of those folks who would just lay there and do nothing? Right. "

---

No, we weren't talking about that time. We were talking about the other time where he skated up behind a guy and wailed on him in the nuts.

It's telling that there are so many nut-punching incidents for your Hero that we actually are crossing wires about which one is actually being discussed.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 23, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

@VT

I'll just mention that the 'hide from the media' argument is pretty weak and meaningless for a player like Crosby, or any superstar for that matter with as much attention and coverage that this guy gets especially from Canada.

Posted by: BigGameSid | December 23, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

"You misunderstood my point, I'll just leave it at that since it should be pretty clear for fans who follow both players know what I mean by that comparison."

---

I understood your point just fine, it's just that all of your "arguments" are poorly formed and childish.

-Sidney doesn't party and OV does, oh wait someone challenged his sexuality, ok now he parties all the time, you just don't see it in blogs.

-Sidney isn't a whiner. OK, he's a whiner, but he's no worse of a whiner than anyone.

-Sidney isn't dirty, he was totally correct to punch a guy in the nuts. No, not that nut-punch, the other one.

We get it, you really *really* like Sidney Crosby. Now, go post on Pensblog, you add nothing of value here other than your repeated trashing of Ovechkin, and your obsessive, doting defense of Crosby. Seriously, have you seen the movie "Swimfan?" If they made the exact same movie about Professional Hockey instead of High School Swimming, you could be the girl.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 23, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

Funny how some of you always like to talk about these meaningless individual awards in a team sport.

Last I checked Joe Montana never won any of these individual awards - he many have won one league MVP award I think - but he won 4 SBS including 3 SB MVP awards. Never threw a pick in those 4 SB games.

Marino won God knows how many passing titles... who would you rather have???

Posted by: joek443 | December 23, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

BigGameSid:

so i should take seriously quotes like this one i found from your link:

"Ovechkin will be lucky to even play in the AHL next year"

i would say ovi has some maturing to do.
having been voted the best player in the nhl by his peers - and so far this year slumping and most likey will be 'knocked' from his pedestal this year - i think he will re-dedicate himself to the game. so far everything has come 'easy' for him and he'll need to continue to work on his game to stay on top. IMO that is what has driver crosby to improve his game - it's not just that he has a better work ethic - he wants to be the best player he can be - and his peers don't think he is. these two will be pushing each other their whole careers (much like magic and bird). i'm not so worried about ovi right now - he'll work his way out of the funk he is in.
based on your posts since you've been here - i'd say you don't like ovi because he is consider better than sid - and right now that is not the case. you come here, not so much to discuss caps hockey, but to bash ovi, praise sid and to 'push' the buttons of caps fans.
i think you should look inward a little bit to evaluate why you come here at all - because as i said, it sure is not to talk about caps hockey.
as always - you have as much right to be here and express your opinions as anyone else.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 23, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Marino won God knows how many passing titles... who would you rather have???

Posted by: joek443
__________________________________________

Really joe? How many Superbowls do you think Montana would have won if he played for the Lions instead of the 49ers? Would you take Phil Sims or Doug Williams on your team over Dan Marino?

Teams with good GMs and good coaches win championships. One talented player is not going to make a difference. Just ask Barry Sanders.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 23, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------------

During this current scoring streak Crosby has been putting up the kinda numbers that we used to see from the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux and Hull in the '80's and early '90's. That is NOT insignificant by any stretch.

During the same period Ovi has scored two goals. It's not really these numbers that worry me as a Caps' fan as well as a Ovi fan... it's the TREND that worries me.

I never really thought of Crosby as a goal scorer but he has become the best at it since the start of last season WHILE improving other areas of his game at the same time. You might say Ovi has become a better all-around player (which I think is still debateable) but his goal-scoring for whatever reason has definitely suffered. There is NO denying that.

Posted by: joek443 | December 23, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

@ ablake70

Are you saying the current Caps are like the Lions???

the team that won the precious Prez Trophy just last season????

Posted by: joek443 | December 23, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Let me repeat something I posted the other night - the player Ovi most compares to, so far, anyway, is Gordie Howe. Howe won 6 MVPs in a 12-yr period, 1951-1963. 6 years he was MVP, six years he wasn't.

I don't know how many of you can be perfect continuously. Since very few of us are Wayne Gretzky, more likely we must constantly reinvent ourselves as times change. Gordie Howe did that. Ovechkin has done it so far. Right now he is struggling. I'm sure Howe struggled some during his run of 6 Hart Trophies. I'm sure some of you too have struggled in the midst of being Corporate Employee of the Year 6 out of 12 years. What's that, you never made it even once? Welcome to the club. The bottom line is most of us are average. Don't worry, it's OK. As long as you pay your bills, no one will complain. Just be grateful your life isn't on TV.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 23, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1,
Here is the alumni roster for the Caps

Peter Bondra

Gary Rissling
Rick Tocchet
Kevin Stevens
Warren Young

Posted by: akus2 | December 23, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

joek443 -

I'd compare this team to the Peyton Manning's Colts before Dungy "raised" his defense.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 23, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

-------------

funny you mentioned Manning and the Colts because if you look at Manning's playoff stats, they're are very ordinary.

Yes he won one SB but will you say he's a better QB than Brady?? I sure won't.

Posted by: joek443 | December 23, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

joek443: Individual awards are not meaningless.

Steve Carlton won Cy Yound one year he won 27 for the Phillies who only won 59 in total.

Tell me that doesn't say something about Steve Carlton.

Tell me, joek443, how many times have you won the equivalent of the Hart Trophy there at your job?

What's that? Never once? Were you ever in the running? OK, not once either. How bout, did anyone at any time ever even think for a second to even consider you for a second for employee of the year?

Didn't think so.

If it's so easy joek443 why can't you do it?

Pick up your broom, joek443, and start sweeping. Maybe next year you will win. Maybe next year I will win. Didn't think so. Neither one of us will win, nor Katie, nor any of us here.

Ovi, maybe. Crosby, maybe. The rest of us...hind boobie is the best we can hope for.

He-he, but I'll take it, on a cold night!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 23, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Yes he won one SB but will you say he's a better QB than Brady?? I sure won't.

Posted by: joek443 | December 23, 2010 1:28 AM

Brady plays for a good team with a great O-line. Put him on the Skins or Steelers and he would struggle mightily. Brady is not very good on the run.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 23, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

akus2: The Pens (alumni) are going to kill us. WTF is Dale Hunter?

Put Hunter on the Caps and we have a chance. And what about Dino? Oh, that's right, Abe chased him away. And Scott Stevens? Courtnall?

Man, we coulda been contendahs, we could been somebody.

Instead we're stuck suckin hind boobie to Mario the fn pizza eater.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 23, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

the common theme with the qb analogies is that it takes a whole team to win championship. the 'better' balanced a team is the better their chances of winning. luck plays a much smaller role in team sports - but it can be a factor. most well balanced teams 'create' their own luck though.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 23, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

tominsocal1- Ha! Good point.

It's amazing how some have used 35 games to end the Sid vs. Ovi debate, yet failed to note when the situation was reversed. The Caps were embarrassed by the Habs in round 1, but the Pens suffered the same fate. Crosby was terrible in the series, a fact that is conveniently overlooked by Crosby supporters. I have faith Ovi will adapt his game as he ages.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 23, 2010 1:42 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1,
The Pens alumni could kill the Isles and Devils right now.

Posted by: akus2 | December 23, 2010 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

You said it better than I could. Just having Ovi, Backstrom, Semin, and Green is not going to win this team the Cup. Just like the Pens didn't win solely because of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 23, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

maybe the caps can waive DJK and the caps alumni can 'scoop' him up and give him a jersey. that would make vermontcaps happy - at least for a day.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 23, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | December 23, 2010 1:48 AM

i think a real 2C and a few more of the current players willing to throw some hits, jump into a scrum or two and hand out a 'face wash' once in while would go a long way. i know there a more than a few that say certain individuals are too soft (and based on their current play - they are) - but these same players could provide this if they were required. that requirement should come from the one person that can demand it - by holding 'ice time' over a players head if he doesn't perform his duties. i won't give his name or initials as that would start a whole new round of debates on who should be fired.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 23, 2010 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

You should read the Sportsbog interview with Brooks Laich. Brooks said he didn't answer his phone after the Rangers game for fear of being traded. Interesting that Brooks started going hard to the net after that game.

I agree. GMGM and BB need to start holding guys accountable if they are not doing their jobs.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 23, 2010 2:11 AM | Report abuse

@Kirk. I think while the 2nd line center is something that everyone seems to think that we need I think that the last two games MP and MJ have shown that when they play up to their abilities they can be very good 2nd and 3rd line centers. The thing is going to be to get them both to play like they have the last two games every game. They don't need to get two goals a game but their overall play has been greatly improved in the last two games and if they can keep it up I think we are much stronger up the middle then people think. I still think the biggest need on this team is still on the back end. Unless we get a goalie who in almost every game can carry a team on his back like Vokoun (tonight being a rare exception) we are going to need an upgrade on the back end because Hannan is not the answer. He has been better the last two games but is still making very costly mistakes such as holding onto the puck too long and not getting the clear on the PK and a goal soon following last game against NJ. Getting Schultz will help but then it will just get us back to where we were half a month ago. Erskine has been playing great this season but he has never played this well in his career so I wonder how long this will last. The other thing that I think this team needs is someone with a Cup that actually was an important part of the team he won the Cup with. I know Knuble was on Detroit when they won in 97 and 98 but both years he was a 4th liner at best. I think the guys like Madden last year and Guerin two years ago were very important in the locker room during the playoffs. Right now the closest thing we have is Irbe getting to the finals with the Canes. I am looking at a guy like Langenbrunner or Gill would be great if the Habs have a bad month or so after the new year. Both are Cup winners and are on the last year of their contracts. Langenbrunner has a NTC but I could see him waiving it to get out of NJ. For Gill to be traded the Habs would have to fall apart big time.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 23, 2010 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Funny, even Maurice Richard was not the #1 goal scorer in the NHL every single year of his career...

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

sgm3

Yes, I did notice on the HBO 24/7 show that very few Penguins actually skated on the optional skate day and that most of the Pens used the day for meetings, off-ice workouts and treatments. It seems that all the noise about the Caps stars not being on the ice is "Much Ado About Nothing" from non-knowledgeable fans.

With regards to the Winter Classic Alumni game, interesting that Scott Walker will play for the Caps team. He only played 9 games for the Caps last year and 1 playoff game. It is my understanding that the list is not final and more players could be added. It would be nice to see Bob Gould play and fight Mario L. again.

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 23, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Why are so many people giving Ovechkin grief for the video that came out?

Ovechkin was asked to do it because so many, including me, wanted to see Ovechkin away from the rink.

The video showed that Ovechkin is very very close with his family. He was doing boring things like swimming and going to McDonald's. The quote that stuck with me the most was "The NHL has changed everything." Ovechkin is honored to be playing in the NHL, and if you walked away from the video thinking he doesn't want to win a Stanley Cup, you weren't paying attention. The Stanley Cup is a goal talked about by his mother as well.

The video wasn't an ego thing and the GR8 was chosen by the makers of the video. BTW the video was taken mostly right after the Capitals were eliminated and showed him at the NHL Awards show. It didn't go that deep into his summer or get into his workout schedule.

BTW, Sidney Crosby already did one of these videos. http://www.amazon.com/NHL-Sidney-Crosby-Ice-Beyond/dp/B001ASQ9O2

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see one intelligent reply ever on these boards, with a little less bias, acknowledging that no matter who is your favorite, these are clearly and without a doubt two players in a league of their own.

Ovechkin may have slowed down the goal scoring level, but does anyone doubt he's still potentially the most deadly goal scorer in the league should he focus there again? He's rounded out his game, picked up the assists, and looks like he's working more toward team elevation than personal glory. Give the man props.

And Crosby's year doesn't even need to be reviewed. The press (as always) has covered it in detail. The tear he is on is unreal, and the parts of his game he continues to improve make insanely well-rounded more and more each year.

Posted by: spynnal | December 23, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

i wish the Caps would have signed Bill Guerin.

maybe we dont need a RW...but we could have used his veteran leadership in the lockerroom.

Posted by: capitalsfan47802 | December 23, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse