Please Make It Stop

The fire alarm has been going off here at Kettler Capitals Iceplex for the past 15 minutes. There's no way to describe how ear-splitting the sound is. Not to mention how annoying the flashing strobe lights are.

The players, though, have handled it in stride. They are still on the ice practicing. And the fans who are here with their little kids haven't moved, either.

Update:I'm told someone pulled the fire alarm handle on the fifth floor. And that the alarm can't be shut off until the Arlington Co. fire dept. shows up.

Update:I forgot to say earlier that it eventually stopped ...more than a half hour after it started.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 24, 2007; 12:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lines From Today's Scrimmage
Next: Caps' Power Play Might, You Know, Score

Comments

Tarik,

Who has impressed you today?
Individuals or lines?

Thanks

Posted by: Mark Tucker | September 24, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The strobes and loudness probably feels like opening night for the players and fans, eh? What you need, Tarik, is a tall, frosty drink.

Posted by: 007 | September 24, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

It had to be a Penguins fan.

Posted by: PuckMan93 | September 24, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was a delayed reaction to your pink a green jersey Saturday night Puckman93.

Posted by: jwh37 | September 24, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else concerned that the Fire Dpt hasnt shown up in 15 minutes?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | September 24, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually Tarik, it's the new goal celebration for Verizon Center.

Nice jersey Puckman, Gavin and I were discussing it thoroughly in the penalty box Saturday night. It wasn't so much that it was pink, it was the fact that it had green in it, a lot of green.

Posted by: Jarrod | September 24, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The only thing left to do is to turn it into a puck movement drill. Kill the arena lights, and have pairs of players passing back and forth; anyone who misses their pass or is caught holding the puck when the strobe goes is out. Quick, snappy movements!

More fun than suicides, and prepares the players better than a lightswitch rave.

Posted by: Kurt | September 24, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Jarrod -- that was pretty funny.

Mark -- Backstrom impresses me more and more everyday. And he was very good again today.

Also, Dave Steckel continues his late push to make this team.

Posted by: Tarik | September 24, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't think alarms or strobe lights would have helped the skins yesterday

Posted by: dave | September 24, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Dave Steckel is a Heck of a hardworker. He deserves to be there as much as Flash in my opinion

Posted by: Danthebearsfan | September 24, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

tarik, have you discussed with hanlon the possibility of backstrom moving back to center at some point, and if so when. i ask, because ive seen him several times and he was very impressive (responsible as well), and with him progressing more and more by the day, it seems like he will be ready sooner than previously thought. lets face it, hes a center and we drafted him as one, seeing him play wing all year would be a disappointment and a mistake in my mind. thoughts?

Posted by: lines | September 24, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope you don't actually have to see Norman Chad on a regular basis at the office.

Posted by: on ice | September 24, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

15 munytes worth, wow. Get a cold beverage or three after practice Tarik. That would give anyone a headache. I bet this years goal celebration will sound something like that.

Posted by: EricS | September 24, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure it wasn't Glen trying to get out of another scramble session? AKA, practice.

Posted by: someone else who knows | September 24, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Trust me, the sound of that fire alarm was not just annoying--it was painfully LOUD. After the first fifteen minutes, I just held my hands over my ears to keep out the sound as much as possible. When it just kept blaring ten minutes later, I left the building and went home. I've been a hockey fan for about 40 years, and I've experienced my share of loud buildings and screaming crowds; this was worse than any of them.

Posted by: George H. | September 24, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it was pretty frigging loud. I also love that people (both in the stands and on the ice, myself included) just looked around for a few seconds when it started and then went back to hockey. Fire? Pshh. Hockey is more important.

Luckily, I had my mp3 player with me and the music drowned out most of the cacophony.

I'm almost glad that my overseas work ended early - I get to see my boys play tonight!

Posted by: HolyOlie | September 25, 2007 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Brings to mind a couple of instances when fire alarms have gone off during games. Twice at the Ashburn Ice House when it first opened, they were hosting a high school hockey tournament around Thanksgiving. The teams took the ice, the fire alarms went off but the referees wouldn't let the game start. They had a tough-enough problem at the time allowing me to play music (since changed, thanks to all the members of SHOA!!!).

A couple of years ago while working out in Oregon, the fire alarm goes off during the 7th inning stretch of a Portland Beavers game (the next night, yes I did play a short snippet of a fire alarm, lots of laughts). It also happened again at the end of the game. The umpires, with strobes going and a loud audible warning to "evacuate the premises immediately" kept the game going. None of the fans left either.

Makes you wonder what would actually happen in the case of a real fire???

Posted by: Jarrod | September 25, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Good site! I'll stay reading! Keep improving!

Posted by: Nicole | November 10, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse