Poll: first-round preference?

With two weeks remaining in the regular season, there are five teams fighting for the final three spots in the Eastern Conference playoff picture. Philly, Boston, Montreal are tied with 82 points, while Atlanta (tonight's opponent) sits two back and New York is four back. Depending on how things shake out, it's possible any of them could end up eighth.

So here's our question:

I'll have a morning skate update in a little bit.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 1, 2010; 11:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals Q&A today with Tracee Hamilton, 9:30 a.m.
Next: Varlamov set to start against Thrashers

Comments

Philly would be a good draw, since that whole organization is on suicide watch...but the fans that may find there way in the building would spoil the entire series for all.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 1, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It does not matter who we play. If we play the way we are capable we should beat any of the teams mentioned in no more than 6 games. If we play loose and undetermined then we will have another 7 game nail biter on our hands.

Posted by: diner99 | April 1, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

It's bad karma to root for an opponent. Doesn't matter who it is. Bring 'em on.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I thought all the drama/media sideshows during last season's playoffs (Torts and his water bottle, Avery, Crosby, etc) really detracted from the games themselves. As a result, for me the playoffs were not as fun to watch. I've been pulling for Atlanta not only because I think we would play well against them, but because I'd rather not play a team I hate in Round One this year. The hate takes so much energy...

Posted by: JillC | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@ Sonyask

I find myself agreeing with almost everything you say. Do you mind changing your name to Sonyask & Aldred15 so I don't have to type as much.

Posted by: Aldred15 | April 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I have an odd viewpoint. Here's my story.

The last time "my" team won something was 2001 - I lived in Arizona and followed the Diamondbacks' winning the World Series. One of the best things about the victory was the fact that we went through the best, beating (1) the Cardinals, then (2) the Braves, and finally (3) beating the Yankees in the WS. No one could say that we backed in or had any kind of weak opposition.

I think the Caps are going to do this, and I want us to go through the best and put the demons to rest. So I want anyone but Atlanta in the first round; then I see Philly or NJ in round 2, Pitt in round 3, and then (just to keep the pattern going...) Chicago or Detroit in the finals.

GO CAPS !

Posted by: Dick_in_Fairfax | April 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

flyers

Posted by: _stevo | April 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

anyone but montreal, i think they matchup well with how the caps try to play.

Posted by: carsonspence | April 1, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Shocker, everyone is picking the team NOT in the playoffs right now. But, they play us twice before the end of the season, and the only way they are getting in is by winning one or both of those games. So, will you really want to see the Thrash if they win the next two against us? I think not.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 1, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

No clue why more people don't want Philly. Hot goalies have given the Caps the most trouble in the past.

Rask is a beast - I'd be afraid of the Bruins for no other reason then having to score on Tuuka.

The Thrash always play us tough.

Montreal has both Halack and Price - both of which are capable of shutting out our high-powered offense.

The King in New York is Scary...let's not dance that dance again.

Phili is the obvious choice here. They are 3-5-2 in their last 10, their goal differntial is barely above 10, and none of the 6 goalies they've played this season is capable of stealing a game, much less a series.

This is a no-brainer. Bring on Philty.

Posted by: patrone | April 1, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Problem with Philly is they are more likely to take a cheap shot at one of our star players in a lopsided game win or series win. The physical nature of that series could affect us in the next round.

I went with Boston because Rask does not frighten me at all and we would be in a defensive minded series to prepare us for the rest of the playoffs.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 1, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I want revenge against PHI for all the #$@& they got away with in 2008.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 1, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

1. they should be able to handle any of those teams in 5, 6 at the most.

2. you would much rather play a team that won't even sell out their home playoff games and that's Atlanta

Posted by: joek443 | April 1, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I think people like Boston because of their pathetic offense. They're a team that seems much less likely to take advantage of the Caps defensive flaws.

Philly, while having a horrible goalie, could put up goals in bunches when they get Jeff Carter back.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 1, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

...IF they get Jeff Carter back in time.

Posted by: MigMora | April 1, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I want to play Pittsburgh...shutting up the Mess from the West as quickly as possible is my goal.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 1, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

We will have to play anyone we can beat 6-5 in playoff games? Good luck!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 1, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Difficulty wise...I think ATL would be the easiest series. Boston has a beast of a goaltender and if he gets hot we could have a repeat of last years Rangers series. I dont want to see the Rangers again becaus reason as well.

I would like to see Philly just to knock them out of the playoffs, they are an injured bunch with a goaltending disaster.

I wish we could just play Pit and get it on already.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | April 1, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Teams truly headed for the Cup have the attitude that it doesn't matter who they play--and Caps' fans should develop that attitude as well. (Though of course it would be nice to crush the Pens along the way....)

Posted by: jhershb | April 1, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 1, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

isn't it sad that we know other teams take liberties with us and THERE"S NOTHING we can do to prevent it other than hope we don't play them?? also, if rask doesn't frighten you then you obviously haven't seen many bruins games......here's to hoping for a long playoff run, but being a hardcore caps fan since before ovechkin was even born, I can't say that i'm hopeful we'll get past the 1st or 2nd rounds

Posted by: vermontcaps | April 1, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Sonyask:

"It's bad karma to root for an opponent. Doesn't matter who it is. Bring 'em on."

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jhershb | April 1, 2010 1:19 PM

@jhershb: As much as we would all LOVE to get the Pittsburgh monkey off our collective backs in Round I, this is mathematically impossible.

Penguins currently have 95 points. If the other teams currently in-the-hunt all win out and the Pens lose out, it ends up like this:

SEED....TEAM.....POINTS
1.......WAS.....(Clinched)
2.......BUF......108
3.......NJD......106
4.......OTT.......99
5.......PIT.......95
6~8.....BOS/PHI/MTL@94pts.

Granted, I am ignoring the fact that some of these teams will play each other as the regular season winds down.
Please discuss.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Of these teams, the Habs worry me the most. Seems like the hockey gods don't want us to beat the Canadian teams. Phillthy or the Rangers would likely leave us with lots of bumps and bruises, and maybe worse. I'd pick Atlanta now, but that could change after we've played them and Boston twice more.

Posted by: mcfarkus | April 1, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

We will have to play anyone we can beat 6-5 in playoff games? Good luck!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 1, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

funny, and sadly true.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40: "As much as we would all LOVE to get the Pittsburgh monkey off our collective backs in Round I, this is mathematically impossible."

He didn't say we would play Pittsburgh in round 1. He said along the way. I

Posted by: ouvan59 | April 1, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

----

it seems to be a recurring theme under the McPhee reign of Gandhi-ism

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I am not afraid of any 8th place team and we should beat any of them.

For fun lets hope for Buffalo to stay in 2nd - this would force either PIT or NJ to play more road games to advance to the 3rd round. More road games equal longer series and will more than vindicate the Caps for their wisdom of racking up 110+ points.

Yes home ice throughout the playoffs does matter and thats why.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | April 1, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

----

it seems to be a recurring theme under the McPhee reign of Gandhi-ism

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 1, 2010 3:00 PM

@cstanton1: Sad, yes...But I must respectfully disagree on some points.

Just to be clear, I enjoy a good scrap as much as most hockey fans.

Many folks might want to blame GMGM for anything & everything that ails the Caps/healthcare crisis/the economy/China haxoring every PC on Earth/Swine Flu/Global Warming/[Insert Problem Here].

That said, I don't think we can lay the responsibilty for questionable officiating/uneven penalty calls (and perhaps even outright anti-Caps bias) at the Pheet of GMGM.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 1, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm among those who think that a properly *motivated* and *focused* Caps team should be able to handle any of those teams without too much difficulty. I picked Atlanta because I thought they'd have the easiest time with them.

Posted by: aybee27 | April 1, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

If we are who we say we are, than we need to slay EVERY DRAGON! That starts with Philadelphia. Thats who we should want, if we are back on our game, than we will destroy them. Eff Phildelphia, Boston is actually too easy, no comment.

Posted by: DCFanatic | April 1, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse