Poll: Jose Theodore or Semyon Varlamov?

(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

You're Coach Bruce Boudreau. Who do you start in goal for Game 3 at Bell Centre? The choices:

Jose Theodore: Named "the guy" before the start of the playoffs because he went 20-0-3 with a 2.58 goals against average and .922 save percentage since Jan. 13. Yielded two goals on two shots in Game 2 before being yanked.

Semyon Varlamov: Allowed three goals on 22 shots in relief, appears to be recovered from groin and knee injuries that limited his appearances during the season, when he went 15-4-6 with a 2.55 goals against average and a .909 save percentage.

It's easy to make a case for both, but only one can start the pivotal Game 3 against Montreal. So who is it?

The morning skate in Montreal is about to start, so we may know soon. Stay tuned for updates.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 19, 2010; 11:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notes from Caps practice
Next: Varlamov appears set to start Game 3

Comments

Neuvirth

Posted by: SA-Town | April 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

According to Japers, this has already been determined and Varly gets the nod tonight.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Steve Hindle via Twitter says it's Jose so I guess nobody knows yet.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | April 19, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm down with Theo. They need to tighten up the D,Green especially.Carlson is a stud. Keep playing with some intensity and in front of the net. I'd put Walker and Erskine in. The Habs are just flying all over the place.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 19, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Japers has just noted the two tweets out there stating that Varlamov is starting. Both came from Montreal media, and haven't seen confirmation from anyone else.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 19, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd say go with Jose, but either way we win 5-1 tonight

Posted by: _stevo | April 19, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

We need some changes on the defensive lines, not in goal. Why not have Erskine back on the ice? Clearly, Green/Schultz are not playing well...and Green's strength, offense, is completely absent.

Whatever happens...just win baby!

Posted by: Section104 | April 19, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Last time I checked, the Toronto Star wasn't a Montreal newspaper:

Posted by: DaveinSilverSpring | April 19, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Pick one and if he struggles then replace him, don't wait until the game is lost to make a decision. I like what BB did in the previous game and what he is thinking of doing the rest of the playoffs - Use both of them.

Posted by: nimes1 | April 19, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Tarik just tweeted that Varly cameoff the ice first....

Posted by: griz0615 | April 19, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Tarik's Twitter: "Semyon Varlamov came off the ice first."
1 minute ago via UberTwitter

In Varly we trust.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 19, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Corey and TEB have both tweeted that Varly came off the ice first at practice. Color me surprised and a bit disappointed.

Posted by: JillC | April 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Per onfrozenblog.com:

Varly made his NHL debut in Montreal on December 12, 2008, stopping 31 of 32 shots, becoming the first goalie to win his debut in Montreal in more than 30 years. Prior to Saturday night Varly had two starts against the Habs and won both, boasting a 1.94 goals-against and a .930 save percentage. Quite simply, the Habs haven’t beaten him. You would have to think that should Jose Theodore start tonight he’d not only have to perform solidly but the Capitals would have to prevail for him to keep his job — Varly’s success versus Montreal, and his savior’s role versus the Rangers in last April’s opening series, would argue well for his getting the reliever’s call.

I wasn't aware of this. I think Varly has to be the guy tonight... even though he didn't really "earn" it.

Posted by: Firepelosi | April 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nimes1 | April 19, 2010 11:51 AM |

I agree.
It doesn't matter who is in net.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@DaveinSilverSpring

Montreal, Toronto, whatever...

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 19, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I would have gone with Theo

Posted by: griz0615 | April 19, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

BB's "short leash" quote was crap. It seems he just doesn't have faith in Theo. If Valy does get the W tonight, we may not see Theo for the rest of the playoffs, unless Varly gives up two goals on two shots. Wonder what that does for Theo's confidence though. He may want out of DC next year.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watch the Blackhawks/Preds game last night? The Hawks d-men seem to have a timer in their head and if they spend too much time in their own zone they chip it out of the zone but not far enough to ice it so they can re-group and get a change. I would love to see the Caps learn this technique.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

If it is Varlamov, I am disappointed, since I think Theodore has earned the shot tonight. But I have to trust BB's "gut."

Posted by: zmega | April 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Theo! Theo!
Even though I voted Filp a coin.
I think BB is using the same strategy he's used on the regular season: ride the hot goaltender.
I would put Theo today and give him a break to bounce back, Varly hasnt warmed up yet.

Posted by: guer_j | April 19, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Problem is; if Varly sucks, it going to difficult to go back to Theo. The other way around; not so much of a problem.

Posted by: tim29 | April 19, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@ESPN_Burnside Semyon Varlamov first off the ice suggesting he will start tonight for the Caps. 3 minutes ago

Posted by: joek443 | April 19, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Section104,

The Habs are small and fast. Ersk skates with cinderblocks on his feet. Play him and he'll either get walked left and right or he'll be taking minor's galore trying to slow them down.

Posted by: Steve_R | April 19, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

SuperZ3383 : Theo's contract is up. His only chance of being in DC next year would be if we win the Cup and he is the MVP. Even then, I'm not convinced GMGM would bring him back. Next year it is Varly and Neuvy.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Super, Theo is unrestricted. He's not going to be here next year when Varly, Neuvy and Holtby offer such a drop in $$.

Posted by: Steve_R | April 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping for Theo, but OK.

Anyone know who we're shooting at in net for Montreal? The Caps seem to have read the book on Halak.

Posted by: Justafan | April 19, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it matters who is in net. I would start Theo in game 3 and Varly in game 4 (unless Theo gets a shut-out)

Who will be in Net for the Habs?? Will they make a change. Who cares...I think we make a statemnt tonight and breeze to victory.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 19, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@ tim29

Great point. I start Theo tonight, give him one more chance and then go from there. You start Theo, he gets the W, beats the Montreal demons... imagine what that does for his confidence level.

I'm not one to doubt BB when it comes to goalies, but this decision just doesn't seem logical. Prove me wrong BB.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 19, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I fail. I knew Theo's contract was up. Yeah, we may have seen the last of Theodore...

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 19, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If the D keeps allowing uncontested shots it doesn't matter who is in net. Goal one in game two was a miss on Theo's part but that second goal was a great uncontested shot from Kostytsin. The defelction for the fourth goal by Montreal was not going to be saved by the Lord Jesus Christ, much less Varlamov or Theo. I'm in the boat of putting Erskine in the lineup. He played well last year in the playoffs and could deliver some blows that would make guys like Camlleri, Plekanec, Gomez and Kostytsin think twice about skating freely into the zone. Go Caps.

Posted by: moltzjo | April 19, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau is a doofus

Posted by: doughless | April 19, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 19, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

From your lips to the hockey gods' ears....please win this one big Caps and show why you're #1!!!!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 19, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Varly doesn't have to do what Craig Anderson had to do last night to win for this team... he'll be fine

that was simply incredible last night

Posted by: joek443 | April 19, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

OK then.

Some of us--myself included--find Mike Wise's wrioting to be engaging and funny. Those of you familiar with my own postings on this and related blogs will surely unbderstand why. He has a flair for the alliterative, and I recognize that, in his own way he really is trying hard to reach out to those who call themselves "true fans".

On the otherside are those who may find him insulting, unschooled and just wish he would go away. I find it ironic that many of those who bemoan the apparent "All-Redskins-All-The-TIme" mindset of the local sports media and clamor for more Caps coverage in WaPo, are among the loudest voices in criticism of Mike Wise.

So now he says that Theo should start in net tonight. Without going into whether or not this is a good idea, this is a gutsy gamble on Mike's part, and here's why:

--If Varly starts and loses, Wise is partially vindicated and maybe earns some grudging respect from hard-core fans.
--If Varly starts and wins, Wise loses some of what little "ice cred" he has thus far amassed.
--If Theo starts and wins, Wise is seen as a prophet, and his stock as a hockey commentator wil go way, way up.
--If Theo starts and loses, Wise may lose all hockey credibility, abruptly finding himself in the Eklund Zone ("DAAAAAAAAA-Dut-Dut-Dut-Dut-Dut-Dut-DAH!"), from whence he might never return.

Sounds like a Zero-Sum game to me.

Regardless of whether Wise is right or wrong in his analysis, one thing is clear:

This pair of games in Montreal will--IMHO--be the tipping point of this series. The Caps must not lose both, and we would all of course prefer that they win both.

Regardless of who is in net.

'Nuff Said!

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 19, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Another thing about starting Varly over Theo is that you are scapegoating your goalie and letting your defense get away easy.

Benching Theo tells the defense "hey, it's the goalie's fault, there's nothing wrong with how I'm playing" when there are volumes that can be written about how bad they are playing.

Posted by: playahatah | April 19, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd play Varlamov. Not because I expect him to be better, but if Theo gave up a bad goal early, it would be very rough mentally on him and the rest of the lineup. Varlamov came in and got the win. Think you've got to stick with that for now.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 19, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse