Poll: Kolzig vs. Caps

With two points in the Southeast Division on the line and an old friend in the opposing net, the Caps are hoping for a big night tonight at Verizon Center. At the other end of the ice, Olie Kolzig, who's been pretty good this season, would like nothing more than to shut out his old team.

Something's got to give.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 10, 2008; 6:58 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'I Like Olie'
Next: Morning Reading List, Kolzig Edition

Comments

Morning all.

Posted by: Section117 | November 10, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I just read the article about Olie (nice job, Mike). It made me kind of sad. :-( I intend to show Olie the Goalie the respect that he deserves - I hope that everyone here commits to doing to say. Go Caps ... and long live Olie.

Posted by: Boo- | November 10, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Being at home, how often the Caps practiced against Ollie, and given the Bolts porous defense, I see the Caps scoring 3-4, if not more. They are due, and OV has got to come out of his slump with a vengence soon. By the way, Eminger didn't last very long in Philthy? A lot of folks this summer complained about what a huge mistake it was to trade away Eminger for a first rounder -- looks pretty good right now

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 10, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

To be real honest, this is the one game this year we can lose and I will leave the building with a smile on my face. I still believe that if given the chance Kolzig might have won one of those games last year in the playoffs when You-Eh totally stunk up the building and was obviously out of his depth. I have always faulted BB with not trying the goalie with experience in the playoffs for at least one game. Wise's comment about Josie being "not very good" was kind and much more generous than is deserved by a goalie that has been simply horrible.

Posted by: majiksea | November 10, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

majiksea:
I agree - I always hope that we win, but this is one time that I won't be totally bummed if we don't (in fact, if we lose, I think an Olie chant is in order). Now, if Smith was in goal (or Huet :-)), I would feel differently. I also wondered why Olie didn't get a shot in the playoffs when Huet was faltering - Huet choked for the most part after the regular season.

Jim:
Seeing as Kolzig is not in his prime and does not have much of a team in front of him, I also think it will be 3-4. The question is, how many will THEY score? We can only hope that Johnny continues to be on fire!

Posted by: Boo- | November 10, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Varlemov shut out Albany on Friday, relieved Cheeser on Sat and let in 4 against Bridgeport last night. he may be ready to come up around Jan, perhaps Josie would look good in South Carolina.

Posted by: majiksea | November 10, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I am absolutely giddy this morning. I get to see my boys live for the first time since 2000. As a matter of fact, the last game I saw was against the Sabres and Hasek was in net for them. It was a 1-1 tie with Richard Zednick scoring the only Caps goal on a knuckler......Now I get to go and introduce my daughters to live game action for the first time. Life is good...and to top it all off Olie the goalie will be in the pipes for the opposing team......YES!!! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Johnny is #7 in the NHL in save percentage!!! Yipee! Josie is #40, wow Mike "not very good" incredibly bad is more like it! Johnny is #6 in Goals against average, Josie is #38. Is there still any question about who should be our #1 goalie? If Bruce even has any thoughts about this you must wonder why?

Posted by: majiksea | November 10, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Boo -- I think BJ lets in 1-2, stays hot. I see the Caps 4-2 winners over OilSpill Melrose (that hair has to hold at least 3 quarts). The Bolts are improving, but the Caps are nearly unstoppable AT HOME. Away, that's a big concern. For those lucky enough to be going to the game, Rock the Red!

majiksea -- Jose days are numbered. If Varm or Cheesy come up, Neuy can play in Hershey. Place JT on waivers to see if anyone bites or trade him for a defensive old timer who may get some playing time with the Caps

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 10, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Jim:
I agree - I was thinking 4-2 (maybe 4-3). RE: Jose, that would certainly address any salary cap concerns!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 10, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I look at it this way. Yes, Gabby should have given Kolzig a shot in net. Would it have turned out differently? Maybe. Maybe the Caps should have given him another chance. Maybe not. There's a lot of ifs and maybes in this.

We'll never know. What's done is done and cannot be undone. All we can do is remember, and move on. The tribute is appropriate ... and it is appropriate that it be short. While he's wearing another team's jersey is not the time or place for all the tribute he deserves. There'll be a time and place, later, to give him all that he deserves.

For now, when the puck drops, I'll cheer long and loud every time our boys in red light him up, and if we send them out of the building with their tails between their legs, I'll leave with a smile on my face.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 10, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Wait! Didn't Olie have an injury during our playoff run?!?! I mean he had hip surgery this summer so it must have been significant. I don't know why else BB wouldn't let Olie play in at least one game! I still think Olie made a hasty decision to leave us and be backup goalie for Tampa. I'm sad though I didnt want to see it end...he's a super guy and I would have loved to see him retire here.

Posted by: hockeygrl76 | November 10, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

5-2 Caps with Semin picking up at least 2 points. OV to get an ugly one which sets him up for 12 goals in his next 8 games.

Boo,
I think you'll find that "at the death" is a perfectly normal, commonly used phrase to signify the final stages of a particular event, be it sporting or not. It does not in anyway indicate a propensity for murdering individuals via the use of an ax.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 10, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I know we need to give Olie a loud cheer tonight.

We can heckle him though once he gives up goal #5 in the 3rd period.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 10, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

For those interested in Jose's worth, Jay Feaster at ESPN has ranked JT as the 2nd worst offseason acquisition: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3682037

Time to demote JT and call up someone from Hershey. If JT gets nabbed on waivers -- no loss for the Caps

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 10, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

If I was at Verizon Center tonight and the Lightning won and Capitals fans started an Olie chant, I'd be upset.

If you want to root for Kolzig, wear a Lightning jersey tonight and let your allegiances be known.

I hope the Capitals score a ton on goals on Kolzig tonight. It's just a game and I want my team -- THE CAPITALS -- to win.

Posted by: Cerealman | November 10, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 10, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Steve Eminger played pretty good with Philly, but he doesn't have the upside that Matt Carle has.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 10, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Everyone, I am looking for a win tonight, not to look back on fond memories. Light him up... LET'S GO CAPS!!!

*SUPER*

Posted by: SZALACH7 | November 10, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Kolzig deserved better than what he got. You go with the hot goalie, and Huet was hot. When they were down in the series, I thought Kolzig should have gotten his just due. But then Huet won. Still, given the injuries that were mounting, Kolzig deserved a start. He might have in the 2nd round. But thats neither here nor there. He deserved to be told what the deal was. Was Johnson told? Thats all management, there. We're still shy a rock solid defenseman. Who's been mentoring the blueline?

Kolzigs back and so a lot of dead horses are going to be abused today.

: )

Posted by: oo7 | November 10, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm with BB -- let the fans at Verizon give Olie a 2-3 minute ovation, to remind him that he'll always be a Cap in our eyes.

Chant "O-lie! O-lie! O-lie!" enough times that the tears well up in his eyes and he can't see the puck coming off Ovechkin's stick!

Game on!

Posted by: joeduffus | November 10, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

call me crazy, but i think it is bad mojo to have this post up (guessing how many goals will be scored on Olie). the only thing to be concerned with is getting the 2 points. i will stand and cheer for Olie at the start of the game like i hope all other Caps fans will.

Posted by: doughless | November 10, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@ majiksea

I was at the Bear game last night in CT, Varlamov is not ready to come up yet at all this season. I was excited to see him play and I think he gave up too many softees at the AHL level.

Give him time. We have what we have and it won't get any better.

The Bears definitely showed in their play that they were playing their 3rd game in 3 days in 3 different cities..

Anyone in the NHL that complains about back to back games should try to remember their days in the AHL. Those trips are brutal.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | November 10, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I voted for 3 or 4 goals, but I bet that few if any will be Olie's fault...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | November 10, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse