Poll: Your Ideal Goal Total

I see there's been a lot of discussion about last night's barnburner between Detroit and Pittsburgh. Earlier today, I heard from a colleague of mine who is a Wings fan and a self-described "stick in the mud". He suggested there was simply too much scoring in the 7-6 Pittsburgh overtime victory for him (and not just the Pens' seventh goal).

So here's my question for you:

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 12, 2008; 4:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Johnson To Start; Kozlov Returns
Next: Fehr Is Out

Comments

cool. I got the first vote.

Are we going "per team" on this, or "total goals for both teams?"

I voted "6-7" because a good game ends up something like 4-3, assuming that we are counting goals for both teams.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | November 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I mean per game, so total for both teams.

Posted by: el_bashir | November 12, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

in that case i voted wrong. I like games that end 4-3, so 7 goals. the best gamesto me are often one goal games.

Posted by: oo7 | November 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I misread the title as Poti: Your Ideal Goal Total, and was expecting quotes from Poti on how many goals he wanted to score this year... darn it. ;)

For the question, I'm a soccer fan so I'm of the less goals is better quality play mindset. That being said, I've eased up a bit and settled on 4-5.

Posted by: terpsgirl02 | November 12, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Once again another good choice is left out. "It is not important" - you can have a good and exciting contest without goals, although, for some uncanny reason people believe otherwise so I know I am in the minority.

Posted by: x1232 | November 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

anyone know where i can find a stream of the game tonight?

Posted by: langwayfan | November 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I tend to prefer higher scoring games but the low-scoring 3-1 win over the Rangers was dramatically more entertaining than the 4-2 win over Tampa Bay. A great hockey game can have just one goal or ten goals.

Posted by: dsphvywght | November 12, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Technically the scoring should be higher with all the crap they've been trying to do, to increase the goal count each game. Buttman should be happy...

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I like a nice 5-2 game.

Posted by: _jordan | November 12, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

i like any total that ends in the caps winning by at least one

Posted by: QuintenD | November 12, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

To me, there's nothing better than a 1-0 shutout. I'll settle for 2-1. Much more than that, and it starts to seem excessive to me.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 12, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate good solid defense and great goaltending. That being said, it's always fun to see a lot of goals scored (only if it's your team doing the scoring). I agree with a post above that said, games where only one goal is scored can be just as fun to watch as a 6-5 OT affair.

Posted by: reesem37 | November 12, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

It really depends on the situation.

I absolutely love 1-0 and 2-1 playoff games and games down the stretch. They have you at the edge of your seat the whole game knowing that one little mistake, one great play, etc. could be the deciding factor. It also makes the prospect of a comeback win much more attainable should your team be the one trailing.

But I like high scoring games during the rest of the year...say oct-jan. They are just more entertaining and usually indicate a more wide open and flowing style of play which is much more fun to watch than the dump and chase, protect the lead, trapping game we see once teams are ahead.

But I wouldn't change any rules simply to promote scoring.

Posted by: malyk | November 12, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Bring back the days of Dennis Maruk, Marcel Dionne and 9-3 scores. Cap Center used to go wild!

Posted by: sjshanno | November 12, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Odd Numbers means there is a definitive winner and no shoot-out.

Posted by: RinkRaith | November 12, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

10 goals per night!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 12, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

anyone know where i can find a stream of the game tonight?

Posted by: langwayfan | November 12, 2008 4:36 PM

check stoogetv, they usually have the game under "other channels". You might need to install SopCast but it's no big deal.

Posted by: Moose33 | November 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

The score shouldn't matter. It's about the quality of the hockey. An almost-goal is often as fun to watch as a goal, especially when you've got both offense and defense playing well.

That said, the ideal score is whichever one has the Caps winning the game! :)

Posted by: peacefulleigh | November 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

The actual number of goals doesn't matter--what does matter is scoring chances and shots on goal. A 2-1 game can be a lot better than a 4-3 game if the 2-1 game features great skating up and down the ice, lots of good scoring opportunities and and great goaltending. If the game is mostly played in the neutral zone, it really doesn't matter if 10 goals are scored--it probably will be relatively boring. That's why the Caps are one of the most exciting teams in the league--they like to keep attacking.

It's a pretty easy concept, and yet I wonder how much someone like Bettman knows about the game when I hear talk about making the nets bigger, etc. Thinking that's somehow going to make the game more attractive is just ridiculous--it won't change the quality of play at all.

Posted by: TheFingerman | November 12, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Attention all number crunchers! Found a new hockey statistics site. I haven't gone through all of it (by any stretch of the imagination), but it looks promising. To wit; check out this discussion on their version of the +/- statistic:

"Hockey's a team game; a good two-way player on a bad team (Peter Forsberg, Ryan Smyth in 2006-07) will have a lower +/- than most players on a good team like Detroit or Nashville. That's obviously not an accurate reflection of Forsberg and Smyth's performance because they'd have a much higher +/- over the course of a season with a good team. Plus/minus relative to the rest of the team's performance is a more accurate reflection of a player's ability to score and prevent goals."

This sounds very promising!

The site:

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Really Tarik,

The better question is, "How many goals is scored against in your ideal game?" :). 0-1 ....If We have 5-1 win, thats wonderful. If we have 4-0, thats pretty good to; But 10-0 would be perfect! HA

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | November 12, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

As a rule of thumb, I would say that each team should be able to score one goal per period, all things being equal. And then, of course, things are almost never equal -- a really hot goalie or a really quick forward will tip the balance.

But I think hockey games should end 3-2 or 4-3 or 4-2. Very high-scoring games are tedious, and very low-scoring games are...soccer.

Posted by: jen-s | November 12, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

one of the best games i ever saw was a caps victory over the flyers...i think it was the sunday afternoon game before the redskins whooped the broncos in the super bowl back in '88.

a 0-0 game through regulation with lots of scoring chances and excitement...then the caps won in OT...freagin awesome!!! took a buddy of mine to that for his first hockey game and he was hooked...never will forget jumping out of our seats on that goal...

its like the caps game 7 loss to the islanders...that game (especially all the scoreless OTs) was so exciting b/c there was golden opty after golden opty and no scoring...sitting on the edge of your seat exciting...

0-0 games or any low scoring games can be great games if they are exciting and have lots of scoring chances...but if its a neutral zone trap or dump and chase without much chase and cycling and ultimately no scoring chances, then that would be pretty boring...

im a goal scorer so i like the goals...or atleast the plethora of back and forth
scoring chances that get denied...

Posted by: deadskin | November 12, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Every game should be 5-4.

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 13, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse