Sharks Sink Caps, 7-2

Coach Bruce Boudreau said after the morning skate that the key tonight was going to be not allowing the Sharks to get off to a fast start. Well, how about three goals on five shots?

Donald Brashear beat down Jody Shelley in the opening minutes. But it was pretty much all downhill after that for the Caps, who still haven't won in San Jose since 1993 while watching their overall losing streak against the Sharks reach 11 games, their longest current drought against any team.

Okay, on to the notes and quotes:

*It's probably safe to say defenseman Shaone Morrisonn has had better days. I talked to him after the game and he was about as upset as I've ever seen him.

He said the groin injury isn't the problem. He just had a tough night. If you didn't see the game, he accidentally steered the Sharks' second goal into the net with his stick.

"I tried to get it, but it just hit my stick, went over it and went in," Morrisonn said. "It was bad break. It's something I have to forget and move on."

Coach Bruce Boudreau wasn't in a forgiving mood afterward.

"It was really deflating," he said of the own goal. "He struggled. He gave the puck away just before that. And he gave it away a couple of times before that."

*Boudreau also called out his star players.

"The biggest thing you need when you are down a few players," he said. "You need your best players to be your best players. And I didn't think our best players were our best players tonight."

He didn't name names, but Alex Ovechkin had a horrible giveaway and was forced to take a hooking penalty on the ensuing breakaway. Nicklas Backstrom, who had been hot recently, finished without a shot on goal, while Viktor Kozlov had just one.

*The Caps' 21 shots matched a season low, set last game.

*They yielded a goal on an opponent's first shot for the sixth time this season. That's about five times too many, if you ask me.

*After Thursday's 5-2 loss in L.A., the Caps have now suffered back-to-back setbacks in regulation for only the third time under Boudreau, who was hired exactly one year ago.

*The Sharks improved to 11-0-1 at HP Pavilion. The Caps are the only other team without a regulation defeat at home (7-0-1)

*Adding injury to insult, center Sergei Fedorov left after the first period with the same ankle injury that caused him to miss seven games. That's just about all the Caps needed. They were already without Mike Green and Alexander Semin for a second and fourth game, respectively.

*San Jose defenseman Rob Blake had four assists, while fellow blue liner Dan Boyle had three.

*I'm not sure what the stat guys at the Shark Tank consider to be a hit, but somehow Ovechkin was credited with 10 of them, while Matt Bradley and Brooks Laich each finished with seven.

*Though Boudreau won't announce a starting goaltender until Monday in Minnesota, I would be surprised if he doesn't turn to Jose Theodore.

*I'm not sure if television replays caught this or not, but in the second period, Ovechkin fired a shot on Brian Boucher after putting his stick between his legs. It didn't go in, of course, but it almost did.

*With his eighth goal of the season, Tomas Fleischmann is on pace to score 30 times.

*And, oh yeah, the Sharks are that good, according to Boudreau.

"We made three or four mistakes, and they're the kind of team, you make mistakes, they capitalize on it right away," he said. "They are that good. We had been getting away with two or three mistakes and them not hurting us. Tonight, it hurt us."

*Bradley agreed, saying, "They're a really good team, but I think we can play with them. We just shot ourselves in the foot a bunch of times, and it kind of got out of hand at the end. We're not going to make any excuses."

That's it for tonight. I'll check in from practice tomorrow morning.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 23, 2008; 3:11 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fedorov Day-To-Day
Next: Help On The Way?

Comments

If this team doesn't get a couple of defensemen, a goalie, and get rid of Nylander and Clark, then they're not going anywhere. They can't rely on a handful of players the entire season.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | November 23, 2008 5:42 AM | Report abuse

wow this is like pre-SE div champs caps fans again. I love my Caps no matter what. Ive seen worse days, and I dont doubt we will make the playoffs this year and dont doubt we can win the cup. SJ is a great team and if their play tonight doesnt say it maybe their #1 status in the NHL does. yes it was a rough beat but I dont think the team is doomed. Nylander has shown improvement and had some great passes today. Im not going to throw anyone under the bus. the 7-2 loss is punishment enough.

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 23, 2008 6:24 AM | Report abuse

we may be hurt, but there is no excuse for not being able to get set up in the zone on a power play. And our defense is not aggresive enough in our own zone. Guys are allowed to park in the crease,net to the goal and in the slot. We are too worried about going the other way when we need to play defense. Ovie let his man walk in on the first goal. Johnson was not sharp but he cannot ge peppered at point blank range. Nylander is playing awful and Jurcina takes stupid penalties, not to mention Clarke taking a game killing penalty in LA by shooting the puck in the stands immediately after we score a goal. These mental mistakes are costing us. And until we can find a goalie we can stop the fisrt shot, we are destined for a first round knockout. I think its time to rotate some guys in from Hershey to show some our players that if they do not perform then we will replace them. We are too inconsistent at this point and something needs to be done about it or the booing will cascade down at home.

Posted by: ergoroc | November 23, 2008 7:02 AM | Report abuse

My musings on the game last night>

1. Our defense is weak - period. It's all tall / lanky guys who poke check and tie up the stick. Nobody hits hard - even Erskine.

2. Goaltending. We do not have a #1 goalie - we have two decent #2's. When your defense is as weak as the Caps, that's going to make the goaltending situation even worse.

3. Team Toughness - I missed the L.A. game, but both San Jose & Anaheim pushed us around, layed out solid body checks and won the battles in the corners. Chris Clark - even when he hits someone doesn't seem to be finishing, just making contact?

I know we were playing our 3rd game in 4 nights, but we were just outmatched and had no answers for the Sharks last night.

Posted by: Jaymagz | November 23, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Have to agree with some of the above posts, although I will give Johnson a break as he faced numerous point blanks and deflections. But the loss of Green really hurts the Caps' puck movement; it is amazing how bad they are making clean breakout passes. Overall, our defensive mobility has to improve - the Sharks are a perfect example of that - Boyle, Blake, Vlasic can skate with it to varying degrees but they can all make crisp outlets. Other than Green - who can do that much on defense? Offense is not as much of a problem as committing to defense so that you control the play and can create an offensive breakout. The team is simply trying (as stated above in another post) to take the puck back and go the other way and not finishing the job. A tough loss but a needed measuring stick to where we need to be going forward. Put it behind and move on to Minnesota. By the way - Jay Boumeester would look good in a Caps uniform and is exactly what we need. Don't know if we could offer enough to Florida for him before he becomes a UFA after the season, but we should try if we can make the salary cap work.

Posted by: Roose | November 23, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, did Johnny look as bad as the score leads me to believe??

Posted by: rachel216 | November 23, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Roose- Interesting idea about Boumeester. I wonder if Florida could be the third party involved with Washington and Chicago in a Nylander trade. It looks like the salaries are an exact match for Nylander and Boumeester. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea as Boumeester is a free agent after this season, so it will free up cap space long term if the Caps decide not to sign him to an extension (although, maybe they keep him and send Mo, Jurcina and Schultz packing after this year).

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 23, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts about last night.
1---The Caps are very young (the key players) & are still in the process of gaining the necessary experience. The older players are in some cases strictly fill ins till the Chocolate Kids are ready. At this point ---THEY ARE NOT READY. (more on that in a minute.) The up & down play of the team as a whole, is just a team trying to find it's way. There is a big ? on defense, but there is not much else to change to now. As far as the Choc. Kids are concerned---why bring them up now (if it were even possible under the salary cap constraints) & take the chance of ruining them.

I was at the Hershey game last night & I was very excited to see some of the future Caps. There are several players who will help fill out the roster over the next 2-3 years. The only one I think is ready now is Chris B. Alzner is showing signs of what he will be, but clearly will benefit from a full year at Hershey & maybe even a little more. Lespito????????? I am not sold on him. Too many mistakes. reminds me of our current d-men. The players I am most excited about (already mentioned Chris B.) are Osala & Perrault. Osala is nothing short of a beast. He appears to be a scoring machine & hits just as hard as Ovie. He does need to watch out though, as he sometimes is careless in his hits. last night he should have gotten a boarding call for sending a Bridgeport player head first into the boards. Perrault is fast, shifty & all over the place. He plays hard & goes into the corners & to the front of the net with reckless abandon. O, did I mention he can pass? He may be the passer in the entire Caps system (sorry Backis) Bouchard, I think will also be a good player for the Caps. He is just not as flashy as Perrault. Andrew Gordon shows flashes of good play, but is still too inconsistent. I wonder why Giroux can't make it in the NHL, but I guess I just haven't seen him play enough to make any type of determination.

To those who went to Hershey last night---wasn't that snow storm fun? The parking lot was horribly icey & very difficult to get to your vehicle. Thankfully the roads cleared up by time I got to the I-83/I-81 intersection as I had a 110 mile drive home. I did get home in time to see the 2nd & 3rd periods of the Caps game, but declined on the 3rd period.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 23, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone happen to know how many times the Caps have killed off a penalty only to, seconds later, have the opposing team score? It happened last night and has happened in the past as well. It seems like we do a good job on the PK and then get back to full strength only to let our guard down and the other team scores. Just an observation.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | November 23, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

It wasn't all Jonny's fault, but there were a few he could have stopped, just like the game in LA. He is too inconsistant as a goalie. That is why he is a back up. He can be spectacular one game and look flat out awful the next. He will never be a number 1 goalie.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | November 23, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

This doesn't excuse their loss, but did anyone else notice how, whenever the puck touched a Capitals stick, it bounced like a freakin' jumping bean? It happened to ShaMo, it happened multiple times to Ovechkin -- no one could catch a pass!

I noticed it because San Jose was passing so well. Every pass was crisp, on the ice, and not bouncing. The only pass that I can specifically recall being any good off Caps tape was the Backstrom-Ovechkin-Fleischman PP goal. Backs' pass was a perfect saucer, and Ovechkin's stayed on the ice and was the hardest pass that, last year, Flash wouldn't have converted.

The San Jose penalty kill was ridiculous, too. The Caps never had any time to sit and think. It was impressive that Ovechkin recognized the play so quickly that SJ never got a chance to get to him, but were moving in his direction anyway.

I love the Caps, and we've got plenty of time to figure out the Western Conference, but let's just get through this trip no more injured (do NOT play Green, Semin, Fedorov), get home and take care of the Thrashers on Wednesday -- that game matters much more than Minnesota (even though I think they can beat Minnesota), and I want everyone to heal as much as possible.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 23, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Agree with a lot of the above comments... not Johnny's fault (and I think he still gives the team the best chance of winning on any given night), but our Caps can't make a serious run at the Stanley Cup wihtout a real # 1 goalie. Sadly, that would be true even if we had three full lines of Ovechkins (and how great would that be).

Last night's game is a perfect example -- Luongo, Lundqvist, Brodeur, etc... these guys keep their teams in the game on a nightly basis even when they are being completely outplayed and outshot.

Posted by: sinbin | November 23, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

This team has some obvious flaws
One is work ethic and the other is consistency. If we want to truly be an elite team we best make moves. Our vets are not hungry game in and out. They get embarrassed far too often by their lack of effort and discipline. We still dont play as a team. We need to be better defensively so we should get some honest defensive players. Are clark and nylander earning their checks? Offensively we have young weapons but they arent always committed defensely. Lines 3 and 4 must be shut downlines and presently they are not. For god sake get some defensmen who can get out of our end

Posted by: wendel2 | November 23, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I really think our inexperience on the blue line is really showing. This is why so many were thinking we needed a stay at home, tough D man to be aquired during the summer. Other than Poti, our other boys are just not getting it done. Mo has been absolutely horrible. I cannot see him getting an offer at the end of the year. Juice, wish he would use his size. Schultz, see Juice comment. Erskine, don't get me started.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | November 23, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

PS in our conference only the Leafs and Atlanta have given up more goals...look no further for the problem we face

Posted by: wendel2 | November 23, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Take no prisoners.

This is the attitude the Caps need to pull out wins. You don't come out west and bring your little shoves and soft elbows to the game. Our wimpy physical play might get us to the first round of SC playoffs, but it's gonna end there again if we don't toughen up.

I know we aren't a dirty team - and I don't want us to be - but we should be both talented and tough. We need to lay out some full-body checks and throw faces to the glass. Since we left DC, the team looks like the runts in the sandbox who are getting whipped and smacked around. I love my Caps, but it is embarassing. They are better than this.

@Wendel2
"They get embarrassed far too often by their lack of effort and discipline."
No one has said it better. Our less stellar guys for whom we have higher expectations make one mistake and then slump. And slump. And feel better. And make dumb mistakes. Never-ending cycle, and it is unacceptable.

Still, I feel bad for Morrison, just recently back on the ice. That mistakes pales in comparison to what we are missing from every other player. I also feel bad for Johnny, who had his hot run go cold with the hip injury. But, he's a net-minder. Mind the freaking net. There were 1 or 2 he should have had last night. The usual Johnny agility and quickness weren't there last night.

And, jesus christ, when are we going to bench Jurcina and call up Alzer or Lepisto?? I'm sick of this! He looks like a clown on skates. While we are at it, call up Bourque, Osala and the Frenchies. Let our under-performing O ride the pine and give the little kids a taste of the NHL.

Posted by: DCwho | November 23, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@sidehillman: How come we never hear anybody talking about Keith Aucoin? The guy is leading the AHL in points, and has had over a point per game last few seasons. He is 30, not a youngster, but not too old to move over. Just curious.....

Posted by: CapsRockTheRed | November 23, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

And about last night's game: I stayed up and watched. The Sharks just looked so much stronger physically ad more organized. Tough game to watch, but we knew we would have some games like that. Let's just move on.

Posted by: CapsRockTheRed | November 23, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

we have two #2 goaltenders. not good. like wendel2 said our goals against are way up there. that pretty much says it all.
Nylander and Clark have to go

Posted by: phrdlick | November 23, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

CapsRockTheRed

That is a good question. I think that part of the reason is he has been found wanting a the NHL level before. I do think that at this point that he would fit in as good as Nylander & might even be a replacement if Nylander is moved. The big problem is

1--- Cap space
2---Hershey kids not ready

Even Josh Godfrey looked real good at times. Bomb of a shot & hits HARD. He will certainly will be with the big club in a year or 2.

Our expectations are way too high at this point, but wait a year to 3 & this club will be DYNAMITE!!!!!

Posted by: sidehillman | November 23, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I thought the California Self-Esteem Police should have stopped that game so the Caps wouldn't feel bad about themselves. My niece (wearing the Ovechkin shirt her father sent her) called me from the shark tank near the end of the game. She was impressed with Brashear and not much else with the Caps, except for ex-Cap grier.

Posted by: uncatim | November 23, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Brashear, I have a question for Tess, sidehillman, Bearswoo & other Bears regulars -- Are either Amadio or McNeill the sort of NHL-quality player that would be able to move into an enforcer role for the Caps when Brashear's tenure is up?

Posted by: uncatim | November 23, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@uncatim

I think McNeill could definitely fill Brash's shoes one day...soon. He is one angry-looking dude, and his fights are pretty awesome. The thing about Brash is he's cool, calm, and bad-a$$. McNeill is just plain bad-a$$. Is he big enough, though? These Hershey look great on their turf, but you throw them in the big pong and do they make it??

Posted by: DCwho | November 23, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

At the beginning of the season, I picked the SJS and RW to duke it out for the western conference for the SC against the eastern conference winners. These guys have an incredibly deep team and an excellent coach.

So what did we see happen last night? We saw a team that played both ends of the ice. Forwards played defense, defensemen played offense and kept the puck to the outside. That was SJS. I'm sure it also helped that they didn't have any significant injuries and that they had 5 days off for R&R.

From the Caps? A one dimensional game - offense. This team has no defense. Nylander, Ovechkin (occasionally) and Kozlov tried to backcheck, but it wasn't enough. To me the most effective Caps out there were Brashear and BJ.

Brashear was crashing through the SJS and knocking them down, not trying to dance around them. When we danced, we lost the puck. When Brashear was going down the boards, they tried to poke-check, not check him off.

BJ maybe should have had one or two of the goals. It's an unfortunate effect that an error on the goalie's part results in a score against. So take 2 goals way from SJ and you end up with a 5-2 game. Still a loss. Who's fault? It's the D.

Schultz is a waste of time and money. As big as he is, if he can't clean some clocks out there, he has no business being on the ice.

ShaMo is a shadow of last year. Either that groin is more of a problem than he's letting on, or his skills have left him. If it's the former, he's hurting the Caps by playing.

Jurcina. I just don't see him playing anymore with the caps. He's an AHL'er.

Erskine can be physical, but not last night. He's a liability in clearing the zone and is a s-l-o-w skater.

Sloan is an AHL'er, but is proving to be no worse than what we've got on D normally. He's at least growing and becoming a valuable member of the team.

Poti can play when he wants to. Sometimes he looks overwhelmed out there, and I really can't blame him. If he's not playing with Sloan, he has to play his role and the other guy's. I think his problem is he can't play the D by himself. He needs a reliable partner to take care of their side of the zone. The Caps don't have that.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 23, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@GregS

Spot on dude in your assessment of the D corps. Think GMGM may have ignored that in the offseason and we are seeing the results.

It is unbelievable how bad Mo looks compared to last year.

Schultz - you can see that he lacks confidence out there.

Juice and Erskine - where does one start.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | November 23, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

DCwho: Thanks, I haven't been up to Hershey yet this season. Listening to John Walton call the fights is good, but it is not the same as seeing the guys play their regular shifts. Maybe McNeill can learn the cool & calm part.

Posted by: uncatim | November 23, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@uncatim
McNeil can fight, no question there. And if I'm not mistaken, he'll play defense or forward. He's not stellar at either, but he doesn't make dumb mistakes. He's out right now 4-6 weeks with a broken wrist, so I guess Amadio is our current tough guy and he's ok but he can't throw 'em like McNeil.

@sidehillman
I agree with what you said about the Hershey kids. Shame you didn't get to see Jay Beagle last night (concussion) 'cause I think you'd like him too. And yes, the parking lot was a b*tch. Funny how it apparently only snowed in Hershey. I live southwest of Harrisburg and as soon as I got out of Hershey the roads were clear and dry!

Met jmu_capsgirl last night. Good to be able to put a face with a name now.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 23, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S

I like your analysis. I think you nailed the D on a case-by-case. Outside of Green, Poti is next in ability and reliability. Erskine is a solid 2nd line kind of guy who doesn't use what he has (size = checking, buddy), recognizing that the speed will probably never come. I am willing to give Mo a few more back to find his game, though. I can't even talk about Jurcina.

I don't understand Schultz. He looks like Nylander to me - skating in sweeping circles, never making a play.

Send down Jurcina and keep Sloan. Sloan is at least eager to please and is learning - hits and clears like a D-man is supposed to....or at least trying. How would sending down Jurcina help the salary cap? Not sure how that works.

For those Hershey fans, I've been up to a couple of games. Their offense is so deep for an AHL team. It is incredible. Goaltending is an issue when O isn't lighting it up, though, but when hasn't goaltending been an issue @Hershey. Sure, Cassivi had some hot times but not consistently. I can't wait to see Osala and Alzner up here. There are some older guys in the 30-year-age range that are looking great, too, but you have to wonder if they will just perform along the lines of a Steckel or Fehr on an NHL pond. Any thoughts there? Is Bruce investing too much in his old Bears players that aren't performing, or is there real potential with Fehr, Steckel, Gordon, Schultz? I used to have faith, but it's fading fast...

Posted by: DCwho | November 23, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"Coach Todd McLellan insisted his San Jose Sharks had a good bit of rink rust after a four-day layoff. He thought their legs were heavy and their passes weren't crisp for about 30 minutes." - (Associated Press)

Lets hope he is kidding. They made the Caps seem as if they were part of Stonehenge.

Just my opinion:
The caps are not as deep as many would like to think.
They are one of those marginal teams that when when everyone is healthy they belong in the top tier, otherwise, one of the best in the middle of the pack.
Morrison had a terrible game but OV and Poti were just as bad and so was 90% of the team.
Johnson, was not as bad as the score shows, I think without him it would have been many more goals against the Caps.
Some people just love to hate Nylander. Nylander didn't get any credit for Poti's goal, but he is the one who made it possible. Maybe he should have been given more minutes.
Bradley, always gives it 100%.
Flash made some mistakes but he is playing well.
This was a total team failure. Don't dwell on it, they are many more games in the schedule to redeem themselves.

Posted by: opita | November 23, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

guys, just a reminder we are missing our number 1 dman, top scorer/nhl goal leader, we are now missing our number 1/2 center again and our number 2/3 dman(mo) was probably back before he should have been. dont need to offer excuses, but what other team has similar issues and has still gone 6-2-2 in their last 10 games. even with those guys, we probably lose to the sharks on 5 days rest vs being our 3rd game in four nights on the west coast.

we need semin and green back in the mix...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 23, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Tess

I think I saw you. I was in 120 row-T in the middle of the row. I don't get up & roam around as the knees tell me not to. I of course didn't see JMU caps girl or Jordan as I don't know who they are. I did do the speculate game for a while & then stopped when the game started.Do you have very dark/black hair & were you wearing a red Caps sweater? I did not see the back. If so I saw you. Maybe we will say hi at a future game.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 23, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@sidehillman
I was in 119-L, a couple rows above the tunnel that goes from the Bears bench to the locker room. I was wearing a red Caps jersey (#91). My hair? Black but with a lot of gray in it.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 23, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Why on Earth should they trade Nylander?

I'm so sick of hearing that, especially right now.. he's had 3 really good games in a row now while others are stumbling.

He has 12 points, but he's only getting 12-15 minutes per night... and these have been his first weeks back after major shoulder surgery.

If he's playing on the first line, he's a point-per-game guy, as the last three seasons proved.

People should be unhappy with Clark, Schultz, and Morrisonn.

If Clark is still injured, put him on IR.

Posted by: notfadeaway | November 23, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please describe for me how Nylander is playing "awful"???

He has arguably been our best player over the last three games.. drawing penalties, setting up goals..

Here's a guy who played through a very painful injury last year, to help us get back on track.. and everyone wants to blame him for our troubles, even though he's only skating 12-14 minutes per night.

Posted by: notfadeaway | November 23, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I think that Ovy had his worst game in a Caps uniform.

Posted by: dml1077 | November 23, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

So now that we've played 2 games without Greenie I hope everyone has been able to see how important he is for us. Without him our whole team suffers. We have no one else who is nearly as good at taking the puck out of our zone either by a great pass or skating it out.

Overall, that was depressing to watch, but no need to panic. Imagine if the Sharks had to play without Boyle and Thornton, for example.

We were missing some key pieces and it was also Mo's first game back. It was in their barn and they're the best team in the NHL at the moment.

I wouldn't really blame Johnny because a lot of shots he either didn't see or were deflections... Hell, there was even an own goal (soccer term). Having said that it is no secret that goaltending is our weakest spot right now. Unfortunately, I don't see how it can be fixed considering the salary cap situation we're in. I don't think San Jose is about to trade Nabokov for Theo.

In any case, I pretty much knew we were gonna get hammered by the Sharks. No Green, no Semin... Mo's and Fed's first game back... On the road. What did you guys expect? Not to mention that half of our team went down with injuries during the game.

Sometimes odds are just stacked against you. You take your licks and move on. This game was in no way an objective show of how good / bad we are, so those who are making tons of conclusions based on it aren't that bright.

Posted by: ranndino | November 23, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

For the person that said that we're not that deep. We are. We have plenty of players in Hershey who might be able to do well on the NHL level. The problem is that we can't call anyone up.

If not for our salary cap situation here are the guys you'd have seen up in Washington so far for at least a few games: Lepisto, Alzner, Osala, Bourque... possibly even Mink and the two French Canadian kids.

Posted by: ranndino | November 23, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201 - When did Grant McNeill get hurt? I can't find anything on it on the Bears' website...

Posted by: irockthered | November 23, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

@sidehillman - re: the boarding call-that-wasn't-called against Osala last night... I saw that, too, and I thought, Ut-oh, boarding call... from my angle, though, I was not 100% sure it was a hit from behind. I saw the Sound Tiger go head-first into the boards, but was that really what Osala was trying to do? I was at the other end of the ice from the hit, and didn't see it very clearly.

Posted by: irockthered | November 23, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"For the person that said that we're not that deep. We are. We have plenty of players in Hershey who might be able to do well on the NHL level. ..." -randdino.

The key word in your statement is "might". I believe the Caps gave all the players you mentioned a chance to crack the team, none of them made it. That is not deep NHL talent yet. Maybe in the future they will be. As bad as some of our current players look, they still were chosen over the others for a reason. There is a big difference between AHL and NHL.

Posted by: opita | November 23, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

JEFF SCHULTZ, -4 WORST IN THE GAME. GIVE ME ALZNER. WHY IS SCHULTZ STILL A IN THE PRO'S?

Posted by: capsfan55 | November 23, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse