Post-Practice Injury Update

Looks like the Caps are going to be significantly shorthanded tomorrow against the Panthers.

Tom Poti, Mike Green, John Erskine, Alexander Semin and Sergei Fedorov are not expected to play, Coach Bruce Boudreau said, while Boyd Gordon is questionable.

A few other notes and quotes from KCI:

*The Caps are going to make one recall today. The only question is who (and it doesn't look like it's going to be Oskar Osala, who, by the way, is on fire right now in Hershey. His time will come, though).

*If Gordon can't play, the Caps will need to make two call ups. But that hasn't been determined yet.

*Karl Alzner, Bryan Helmer and Sami Lepsito were here for practice. Chris Bourque played for Hershey last night and has not been recalled -- yet.

*Green said he's feeling better, but he's not sure when he'll be able to return. Sitting out for the first time as a pro is making him crazy, he said.

"I feel a 100 times better," Green said. "Yesterday I couldn't even shoot, so today was a good day. I've never seen this many guys out at once. Especially guys who play so many minutes."

*Fedorov is also getting frustrated with the first ankle injury of his long career.

"I don't know when," he said. "Still working on it. I can't definitely say when. It's still very sore. But this was my first team practice in a while, so hopefully it will get better every day. Yeah, I'm going crazy not being able to play. I'm trying to push as hard as I can on the ice. But at the same time I'm trying to be patient."

*Jose Theodore will start in goal.

That's it for now. I have to go downtown and write a bigger story about the injuries for tomorrow's paper.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 1, 2008; 11:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Named November's First Star
Next: The Caps' Injury Situation, By The Numbers

Comments

Tarik-why do you say it looks like it won't be Osala?

Posted by: mshwedick | December 1, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru - I didn't post drinking local beer in the itinerary, but I also didn't include "breathe oxygen to sustain life". I thought it was a given ;-)

@Fanohock - We're planning on giving the Hall of Fame pretty much the whole day on Saturday. I'm going to be like a little kid running around in there. Thankfully my girlfriend is a trooper.

@Everyone else....

Question for anybody who has been to Toronto...my girlfriend and I are taking a trip up there to see the Caps/Leafs game on Saturday. We're staying a couple blocks from the Arena so I wanted to see if anybody had suggestions on things to do in Toronto.

1) Caps/Leafs game
2) Hockey Hall Of Fame
3) CN Tower
4) drink local beer (that one's for you Lee)

that's all we have so far. Suggestions are welcome!

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 1, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Seeing how the team calls up players to fill a specific need/type of player, Tarik, who do YOU think it would be?

Posted by: Leeguru | December 1, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I cant believe Green's MRI was negative, and it is taking this long for him to even shoot.

It must of been some kind of nasty hardcore Code Red.. Level 4 bruise he had. (Im not a doctor, sorry)

Posted by: SA-Town | December 1, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

You know, both times I've been to Toronto, it was foggy so I couldn't see anything from the CN tower (it was so bad the second visit that we didn't even bother trying to go up).

Posted by: koalatek | December 1, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy

Toronto - My g/f and I spent 5 days up there last summer (poor planning on our part as there was no hockey to be seen)...but there's a ton to do. Since your g/f is putting up with the HoF there's a pretty cool flea market type thang called the Saint Lawrence market. We spent a couple of hours there, and I had a pretty good time.

How long are you going for and are you going to rent a car?

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 1, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@Yoshietree -
Thanks for the suggestion. She loves those kinds of markets.

We're actually driving up, staying at her friend's place in Buffalo Thurs and Sun nights giving us all of Fri, Sat and Sun in Toronto.

@everyone - thanks for allowing me to threadjack a little here.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 1, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy

If you're driving, and I know this sounds a bit cliche, but I had a really good time on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Really a carnival type atmosphere.

And if you're into vineyards/winetasting, there are a ton of them right when you cross into Canada (about 10-15 km past the Niagara Falls exit).

And if you're into drinking, we happened upon a pretty cool jazz bar. I'll tyr to find the business card when I get home. It's supposedly a pretty popular (one guy used the term famous) place....but they could have just been happy drunks :).

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 1, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

A little info on Semin one day might be nice im starting to have serious doubts on if this guy is even coming back this season! I apoligize for the whinning but t he guys listed as day to day still it's been a damn month!!!

Posted by: stockrock70 | December 1, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Semin is done for the season.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | December 1, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if you're GF is into wine, but the Niagara area is great for wineries. The process of ice wines is pretty interesting and yields some pretty delicious wine too. They'll probably start harvesting the grapes for those soon, if they haven't already.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 1, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Dannyboy1975 aka Sissyboy1975

I actually will feel bad if I make fun of you; you can't make fun of mentally challenged people without feeling bad.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | December 1, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Is the game on TV tomorrow night?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 1, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon, game is blacked out tomorrow, no TV anywhere.

Posted by: koalatek | December 1, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy

It is manditory for you to also go to CN Tower for sunset. She'll never forgive you if you don't.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 1, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
You are by far the best out there at keeping the fans updated. My only request from today's post is...was there a determination about Alzner. You mention that he was at practice, if I missed something from another post I appologize, but is he cleared to play?

Posted by: caps28fan | December 1, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

that sucks - damn VS!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 1, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero:
You drivin'?

Posted by: Boo- | December 1, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, that injury report blows! Nevertheless, I will be at Verizon all week cheering for the Caps, Bears, and anyone else wearing Caps jerseys. I'm not going to accuse any of our injured of being a wuss and out of the line-up by choice. Did you see poor Mike Greene up in the 412-13 area wearing a suit and signing autographs last Wednesday? Although he put forth a smile he looked like a caged animal. I'm sure he would have much rather been down in the locker room shooting the bull with the boys before the game. Instead he was up, as ordered I'm sure, signing autographs.

These guys didn't work their butts off to get into the best hockey league in the world only to sit around and collect money while injured. All you have to do is watch them play to see how much they enjoy playing. I wish all of them well in their recovery, and echo my same statement regarding the boys up from the minors. If they can simply play .500 hockey and keep us in the mix, all of our injured NHLers can string together wins to solidify our playoff spot. Unless we are hit with the injury bug all season this team will not need a late season surge to get into the playoffs. Their late season surge will be to fight for the top seed.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 1, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine siding with caution. I prefere them to miss a few more games and come back healthy, rather than rush things and suffer a longer setback.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 1, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@Boo! -Driving indeed!

@Greg S - Sunset it is. We'll have to watch the weather reports

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 1, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Sombero guy:

Other suggestions for Toronto...

Yonge Street (the longest street in the world)
The Eaton Centre and Dundas Square (which are along Yonge Street)

Hope that helps!

Posted by: luvfades | December 1, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Lets hope this story Tarik is working on for tomorrow will address Semin in detail.

This Guy was the best player in the NHL the first month this season.

If we can't get anything of substance on Semin, something is wrong.

The Caps are much better with him imho

Posted by: RongCapsFan | December 1, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

If you're travelling there by car from Buffalo, there's a town called Niagra-by-the-Lake that has B&B's, nice shops and great eating. That puts you in easy driving distance to Toronto and you can make a stop or two along the way.

In Burlington, ONT is the Royal Botanical Gardens. Worth the trip in summer, not tooo sure about now.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 1, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy: If your girl likes shopping, check out Pacific Mall in Toronto. I've visited a few times w/my wife. Pretty interesting mall with all Asian stores/kiosks. You can find all kinds of crazy things there.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 1, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Semin told Sovetsky Sport that he will be back "probably not soon." Who knows if the translation fits his actual quote, though.

Posted by: cityspirit | December 1, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I listen to NHL on XM and they are all frustrated with the Semin situation on a national level. Lots of people play fantasy hockey, and want to know whats up with him.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 1, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

link to above: h/t Tuvan Hillbilly

Posted by: cityspirit | December 1, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

These guys live, and breathe hockey. To have someone like SissyBoy1975 accuse them of being p*ssies for not playing hurt, just really shows how stupid they are.

Yeah I'm sure they are thinking, hey let's sit, and collect cash, and diminish my value to the team and to the market.

idiot.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | December 1, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

There is also a castle-like home in the center of the city which naturally, I can't for the life of me remember the name of, that is definitely worth visiting. I will probably wake up in the middle of the night with the name!

Posted by: chuckatcws | December 1, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy,

So are you gonna be sporting the Sombrero north of the border!!??

Posted by: PhilR | December 1, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think that they are keeping Semin out of the lineup for reasons other than his injury? If so, what would they have to gain from it?

Posted by: luvfades | December 1, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@Phil R - haha yes the Sombrero will indeed be making the trip with me. We MIGHT end up with lower bowl seats so keep an eye out during the TV broadcast.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 1, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero

Next time you're at the Verizon Center, I want to see a sombrero so large and shockingly maple-leafed that I have to avert my eyes from the upper deck.

Oh, and that like 30 people have to move out from behind you, just so that they can see the game.

Make it happen.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | December 1, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I will keep a look out.....OOOOO those snooty Canadiens may have a few words for you!!!

Posted by: PhilR | December 1, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see cowbell guy on the jumbo tron last game. Is he out with an undisclosed upper body injury?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 1, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero

"My girlfriend is a trooper", really? Who would have guessed? I mean she does go to hockey games with a guy wearing a sombrero! Doesn't she have to be a trooper?

Posted by: majiksea | December 1, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Remember Tarik's remark when he was in the locker room (at the Wild game I think) and asked Semin when he'd be ready to play and Semin threw a helmet in frustration? We should not be negative or start insinuating anything - why he is not playing, whether he wants to or not. This is a waste to time. Come on, we know they ALL want to be out there and from the little bits that have been pulled together by the great CAPS bloggers, we know it is probably not a "back sprain" and we all have ideas of what it could be, but only the insiders know for sure. So please move on about this until we hear something concrete. I want to forget about Semin and Feds for a while and then happily see them all of a sudden return. The waiting is killing me!

Posted by: valkova | December 1, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,

Only ever done Toronto in the summer but our favourite place was the Toronto Islands. Amazing place so close to downtown. Plus the views of the skyline from the ferry are awesome. However, a ferry ride across Lake Ontario in December..... no thanks.

Casa Loma is the Castle chuckatcws is referring to above. Pretty cool but out in the suburbs. Xmen was filmed there.

If you want a little culture try the Thompson Gallary on the top floor of the Bay dept store or the Royal Ontario Museum is good.

Also, Greektown for a meal. Great food and not that expensive. Only a subway ride away.

Niagara-on-the-lake is nice too and I proposed to my better half in Niagara by the Falls. I know, I know... could it be more cliched.

And the final thing I would do if I was in Toronto tomorrow - go see Abdominal live. The world's best MC bar none!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 1, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Great food in Toronto's Little Italy (Northwest of the City Centre, if I remember correctly). Some awesome ethnic (mostly east and south Asian) near the University Toronto which is real close to the Air Canada Centre. I always love conferences at UT for the food and hockey.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 1, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

We should all feel fortunate that the black-outs aren't that bad for us. By my count, there are only two (Vancouver and FLA tomorrow) and they are both home games, so many of us see the games anyway. Think how bitter and salty you would be they were in Florida and there was no tv.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 1, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I haven't followed the Bears much this season. Any chance they would bring up Laing? I thought he played great while he was here last year.

Posted by: Heidi1 | December 1, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Geez Mike Green was aiming for tomorrow, but it looks like that won't happen now?! He better be back for the visit to Toronto on Saturday!

@SombreroGuy check out the brewery down the street from the ACC called "Steam Whistle", you will get at least 2 free drinks and can take a cheap tour which gets you unlimited drinks. It's located just west of the ACC on Bremner Blvd. The beer is sharp, so it may be too strong for your American beer taste buds, lol, j/k.

COME BACK GREEN!!!!

Posted by: onthebeach96 | December 1, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

There was a guy up above us with a cowbell - Section 422 I think. And it was ringing like mad to counter all the Habs fans.

Posted by: valkova | December 1, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Semin has a torn rotator cuff is my guess and Green has a significant dislocation -- Green might be back but Semin will not.

Not looking good folks.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 1, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

oldtime, if i were in FLA and the games were blacked out, i'd be happy. bada bing. couldnt resist.

windjammer, if your assesment of semin were correct, he would have been on IR. they dont have the cap space to monkey around with. he's day to day cause they think he's day to day. its not like a torn rotator cuff is hard to diagnose. if he had a torn cuff, they would know it and he'd have been on IR w/ clark and schultz.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 1, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@windjammersouth

The report was no structural damage from the MRI. What makes you think it is now a dislocation?

Posted by: SA-Town | December 1, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I bruised my hip doing an ill advised break dancing move last summer in my condo kitchen floor. Next morning couldn't move without crying like a little girl.

Ambulance had to come get me. MRI, negative. CAT Scan, negative. I couldn't walk without crutches, vicodin and Miller Lite for almost 2 weeks. Wasn't normal for 3 weeks. Although I did make it to a wedding after the hospital visit, thank god for open bar.

I dont skate for a living. I dont take body checks from 6'6" 245 pounders named Pronger for a living. I don't have to fire away 95mph shots from the point for a living. I talk to people for a living, and I couldn't do that for a week.

Posted by: JSchon | December 1, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Also, um... FYI... always put a towel inbetween your skin and a cold compress or you will get frostbite and that will leave a neat little scar.

Posted by: JSchon | December 1, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

is the game tomorrow on tv or are we getting f'd by versus again?

Posted by: ahbest3 | December 1, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming that Mike's injury is a severe bone bruise. I once had a bone bruise on my knee that was very painful for over a month. Only thing you can do is wait it out.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 1, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ask Cam Neely about muscle bruises and he'll tell you they're no fun.

Posted by: Section117 | December 1, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

What was the break dancing move?

Posted by: SA-Town | December 1, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Jschon,

I'm sorry, your post lost all relevance after the words "break-dancing move." I'm assuming it was karma and you deserved to get hurt! ;) (i wish injuries upon no one. COuldn't resist.)

Posted by: Leeguru | December 1, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I love how Tarik left Schultz out of both posts today. I wish we could just forget about him altogether...

Posted by: notfadeaway | December 1, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Schultz is on LTIR and couldn't play even if he's 100% healthy until late December.

Posted by: koalatek | December 1, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

I'm 36... My breakdancing days are long over... But something told me to do the "suicide", I believe it was alcohol. For those who don't know what the suicide is, the name of it is all you really need to know.

While standing, kick one of your legs backwards and flip with your leg and land on your back flat. I've done this move hundreds of times without injury, but never in my 30's.

I am now sticking to dancing with a beer in my hand and 2 thumbs up.

Posted by: JSchon | December 1, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Green did the "Flying Helicopter."

Posted by: SA-Town | December 1, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

notfadeaway

Explain to me again why Schultz is so hated...aside from not using his body enough, he is rarely out of position and while his outlets are sometimes off, I'd argue that his play in the defensive zone is one of the top 2 on the team.

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 1, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@notfadeaway

Did you also notice how he didn't mention Clark? Of course he's not gonna talk about the two players who we all know will be out for quite some time.

I can see why some does not like Schultz, but me, I'm ok with the guy. The only real problem I have with him is that he doesn't use his body enough. He's a big guy, but at times he gets knocked off the puck pretty easily. I remember in one game against Tampa last season, I saw him getting knocked off by St. Louis. That said, he's still fairly young, and has plenty of time to mature into a solid D-man.

Posted by: elicea | December 1, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

elicea

I can remember a bunch of times from last year that he got pushed off the puck. But I think he's improving..or was before getting hurt..with that aspect of his game. Not quite there yet, but still improvement.

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 1, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Yoshietree

I remember tons as well. I just decided to use St. Louis as the main example due to the huge size difference between the two... I agree; he has improved tons since the beginning of last season. And like what i said before, he has a lot of time to improve some more.

Posted by: elicea | December 1, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I wish we could just forget about him altogether...

Posted by: notfadeaway | December 1, 2008 4:19 PM
-------------------------------------------
You're an idiot.

Posted by: Section117 | December 1, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon - THANK YOU! That is what I was saying: a BONE BRUISE is NOT what you get when you run into the coffee table at 3 AM in the dark!!! People saying Green is a wuss don't have a clue about what those feel like.

As for Semin - the injury was originally reported as shoulder/upper back, and my suspicion has been the AC joint all along. Those take a WHILE to heal. And, as he said, "what, am I stupid?" about coming back too soon. I'd rather have him healthy and not hurting.

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@Yoshietree

I don't hate him but Schultz is too slow right now. Maybe he'll improve... he's young... but younger Alzner is proving to be faster, and better positioned. Schultz is buffing up a little, but I'm not sure you can become mean if it isn't in you. I surely hope so cause we'd need that. I hope you can take criticism and don't confuse it with hate-ism :)

Posted by: mauree | December 1, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

elicea

I remember that hit very well.

Posted by: mauree | December 1, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I doubt it's an A/C joint injury -- you don't even need an X-Ray to see that. One collar bone is stuck above the other. I know as it happened to me two years ago skiing icy bumps. I thought I was still 17, but twice that, I took a good tumble and tore two ligaments when I popped my scapula up. It took two cadeaver tendons, one surgery and three months before I could raise my arm above my shoulder. Semin did not have a serious AC joint injury or he'd be in a sling with a big, ugly scar -- like mine.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 1, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@anyone who has been to a game at Madison Square Garden...

I am in Mahwah, NJ at the moment, and thinking that if I can get out of my disaster recovery simulation early enough, I might go down to MSG and cheer on the Rangers Wednesday evening while watching them hopefully beat the living SNOT out of Evgeni Malkin(tent), Cindy Crysby and the Pens. Suggestions on easy ways to get there from here, how long it's apt to take, etc.?

There HAS to be a better way than driving...

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

What surprises me is he's "back to normal." I thought JSchon was still healing. :D

That actually sounds like some knuckle-brained thing I'd try to do. Well, keep doing them! When you're old and decrepid like I am, you'll look back and laugh at yourself.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 1, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Irockthered,

As a native New Jerseyan, I recommend taking the train if you can. I believe NJ transit has a line out to Mahwah. The train goes right into Penn Station, which is right below MSG. Depending on your line, it will likely leave every hour.

Or, you can take an NJ transit bus into Penn Station or the Port Authority (and then take a subway to Penn Station). Not sure which route from your area, but I am sure there are commuter routes. Just go onto NJtransit's website and look up what's available. Both ways definitely beat driving and paying parking fees.

Posted by: Jordana20 | December 1, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS - Not necessarily. I have also injured my AC joint, but it did not require surgery to put it back together, nor did I walk around in a sling. A grade 1 separation of that joint is not "serious-serious," but it does hurt like hell.

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@ irockthered -- that's why I said I doubt. I had type I's playing football and hockey. Hurt like a son-of-a-gun, but I was able to play within a week. I type II or above -- I had a Type IV -- leaves a visible bump in the shoulder as the clavical is pushed out of joint. Anything above a III normally requires surgery for someone who relies on his or her shoulder for his or her career (e.g. carpenter, brick-layer, hockey-player, etc...). If it's a type I, then Semin is a slow healer. Cortisone, deep message, treatment, p/t will get a type one back pretty fast. The others typically require surgery to repair ligaments or the joints bursa.

Type I Shoulder Separation:
A type I shoulder separation is an injury to the capsule that surrounds the AC joint. The bones are not out of position and the primary symptom is pain.

Type II Shoulder Separation:
A type II shoulder separation involves an injury to the AC joint capsule as well as one of the important ligaments that stabilizes the clavicle. This ligament, the coracoclavicular ligament, is partially torn. Patients with a type II separated shoulder may have a small bump over the injury.

Type III Shoulder Separation:
A type III shoulder separation involves the same type of injury as a type II separated shoulder, but the injury is more significant. These patients usually have a large bump over the injured AC joint.

Type IV Shoulder Separation:
A type IV shoulder separation is an unusual injury where the clavicle is pushed behind the AC joint.

Type V Shoulder Separation:
A type V shoulder separation is an exaggerated type III injury. In this type of separated shoulder, the muscle above the AC joint is punctured by the end of the clavicle causing a significant bump over the injury.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 1, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Dam it, JIM, I'm a doctor not an hockey player!

Posted by: mauree | December 1, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

What's worse:

1)Laughing at Mauree's Star Trec reference.

2)Knowing that it was a Star Trec reference.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 1, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@Steve

*raises a beer*

(but I vomited a bit in my mouth cause it's "trek" not trec... I'll forgive you cause you're cool :D)

Posted by: mauree | December 1, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Love the Bones reference.

The team cannot take anymore injuries, Captain; it's gonna tear the team apart.

Nerd snicker

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 1, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

To Heidi1 Bears on a 9 game win streak and the Caps could recall any forward they all are playing that well.Bears out scored their opps 47-11 during the run.

Posted by: sporttraveler | December 1, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Mo has been top of his game the last two. Good to see him playing the way he's capable of.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS - yeah, I was thinking somewhere around Type II, and as I've said before, it's a guess, since I didn't actually see what happened. But a Type II would be in the range of "not bad enough for surgery, but bad enough to keep him off the ice for a few weeks to heal up." It took my chiropractor the better part of a year to fix my bad Type II AC injury, but he fixed it without requiring surgery.

@windjammersouth - no way in hell it's a torn rotator cuff; those require surgery, and Semin would be on LTIR.

Green is probably a bone bruise, not a dislocation. That was a wicked-hard hit he took, and I'm surprised he didn't have a concussion to boot. He got up holding his head, not his shoulder. I *DID* see that hit.

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS - also, I've been going off the initial reports, which said "shoulder/upper back strain." It's now listing "upper back strain," though, which takes the shoulder/AC joint etc. out of the equation - except that an AC joint injury does affect the upper back... it's a guess, though, and that's all.

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

@Jordana20 - Thanks! :-) Useful information, that!

Posted by: irockthered | December 1, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

OMFG I can't get injury news on my fantasy hockey player! Get over it, for f#ck's sake! Contrary to what some pundits and fans may think, sports do not exist to serve fantasy needs. Ask any player in any contact sport if the want their nicks and dings blabbed to the world and they will give a resounding NO!

The injury reports are just fine by me. Players will get healthy and return when they can. Until then, we have the agonizing job of waiting for some good news from Tarik, and hoping the guys return soon. Awesome to hear greener was up in the -bleeds signing on wed. Wish I had been there.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 2, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

no point in trying to find what the injuries really are. anybody who knows Mchpee and the caps know that we list everything as "upper body.lower body or undisclosed." The reason for this is to protect the players. There are alot of big hit guys in the league(we only have one)who do their homework and know that the guy they are going into the corner with is ailing. What this team needs more than anything is a big crashing defenseman or a hard hitting winger. Ovechkin is the only player who consistently plays the body. We have scoring what we need is defense. And since we cannot win on the road tonite equates to a must win.

Posted by: ergoroc | December 2, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Both you and Corey reported that Oskar will not be one of the call ups, Corey goes as far as saying Mcphee stated "Oskar Osala will not be the/one of the guys." (called up)

Is there a reason why he is not being considered?

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 2, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse