Post-Practice Notes and Quotes

Defenseman Tom Poti is ready to go tomorrow in Buffalo, Coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed.

"There's always going to be a little bit of pain, and it was a little bit tight when I woke up," Poti said. "But it loosened up when I got out there. It was good enough to get back out there."

Unfortunately for Poti, he's coming back against one of the league's fastest teams, the Sabres, who are led by Thomas Vanek (league-best nine goals in 10 games).

Some other odd and ends:

*Poti will be paired with Jeff Schultz, and according to Boudreau, will get significant minutes.

*Boudreau on Vanek:

"He's always scored. When he was 12 years old, he scored in Minnesota, he scored 50 goals in the American League, he's score 40-some goals in the NHL. He's a pure goal scorer. He reminds me a lot of Luc Robitaille, only faster and bigger. He gets that puck on his stick and it's probably going somewhere where goalies aren't there."

*Boudreau also said he was pleased with Tyler Sloan's performance.

"I like what he did," Boudreau said. "We weren't asking him to be Bobby Orr, but he did a pretty solid job. He can skate, he's big, he's physical. He made a couple of mistakes, but I have to believe there were a lot of nerves coming up for the first time. The more comfortable he got, the better he played. So I was satisfied."

Asked if Sloan would be first in line if the Caps need a defenseman in the future, Boudreau wouldn't commit.

"I wouldn't say first," Boudreau said. "We've got some pretty good players down there. But I wouldn't hesitate to call him up if he was the guy."

*Alex Ovechkin, who is back in Russia with his ill grandfather, isn't expected back until Monday's practice, Boudreau said.

*Boudreau was drilled on the left knee with a Chris Clark clear out at the end of practice. Boudreau was walking with a limp afterward and pronouced himself day-to-day with a lower body injury.

"I just ran out of moves," Erskine cracked later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 31, 2008; 12:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sloan Demoted Today
Next: Boudreau Inks Book Deal

Comments

Could you clear up the last point? What kind of contest was had for the pink helmet?

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | October 31, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

where is chief cheese?

Erskine in the pink helmet? Gotta see that one

Posted by: Steve_R | October 31, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha.. Coach is hilarious.

Posted by: _jordan | October 31, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Last one to score in a shoot out drill

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | October 31, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah that's right. I guess that's why Erskine's getting the big raise, he's got moves to almost match Semin.

Also, Tarik what's up with the lack of live chats?

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I love Boudreau's line about Sloan: "I wouldn't hesitate to call him up if he was the guy." Did he steal that from Yogi Berra?

Posted by: theblitz | October 31, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I thought the weekly chats were a nice feature last season. Why haven't they continued into this one?

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | October 31, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | October 31, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Gabby "pronouced himself day-to-day with a lower body injury."

Classic.

It would have been better if GMGM had told you that after Gabby gave you a "no comment."

Posted by: large23220 | October 31, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Gabby "pronouced himself day-to-day with a lower body injury."

Classic.

Posted by: large23220 | October 31, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

As far as the shoot out drill...I think that perhaps Semin was missing on purpose sometimes. Seems like he was egging Jurcina and Erskine on at the end there...just an observation! Great practice, Caps are going to dominate tomorrow!

Posted by: SPKK | October 31, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"*Shoane Morrisonn passed the pink helmet to John Erskine after the rugged defenseman was beat out Alexander Semin following an entertaining battle that lasted about 10 minutes."

Can we give them a pink helmet for staying out of the box for one game?

Posted by: Section117 | October 31, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

wow i would pay big money to see the sexy lumberjack in a pink helmet. Tarik any pictures would be greatly appreciated

Posted by: dcfury | October 31, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Tarik. I almost did a spit-take. That was classic.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 31, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe "Molasses Feet" Erskine isn't the permanent holder of the pink helmet. The goalies have time to lay down and take a nap, or play bridge, or file their nails before he reaches the net.

Posted by: PothiersThumb | October 31, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

They don't use a goalie for Erskine, just the regular net!

Posted by: majiksea | October 31, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

That slow poke has a plus 3 rating! 2nd only behind a plus 4 Green (speedy d). :) All the other def's trail; with Shultz and Jurcina a minus 1.

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | October 31, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

ok all. Flying out to Buffalo right now to watch the game tomorrow. I will be sporting my Erskine away jersey. Let's go Caps!!!

Posted by: SZALACH7 | October 31, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse