Pothier: 'For eight days I was in bed'

So how is Brian Pothier feeling these days? Better, but he's nowhere close to playing hockey, according to this report in his hometown newspaper.

Buoyed by a surge of improvement in May, Pothier was walking 6 miles a day when temptation got the best of him.
"I had a great month," he said. "Then one day, I started chasing the kids a little bit, walking the stroller a little faster, so I went jogging for a couple of blocks. For eight days I was in bed. I was just buried."

And ...

On Wednesday, it'll be six months.
Running, weights and skating are a long way off for now, but Pothier is excited that his mind is strong and his body is, albeit slowly, following.
"There's no goofiness in my mind. I'm thinking clear and crisp," he said. "Every day, I try to do something that's not going to be detrimental. When I do have a setback, it's on the sidelines for six or seven days. It's hard because, when you feel good, you just want to go after it."

While it's certainly good news that Pothier seems to be on the road to recovery, it sure doesn't sound like he'll be ready for training camp. And if he isn't, the Caps might find themselves in the market for a veteran defenseman to replace him.

Note:I'm going to keep my updates today focused on Caps' news. If you want to keep track of everything that's going on around the league, check TSN's signings tracker here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 1, 2008; 8:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Updates on Huet and Green (Updated)
Next: Green Re-Signs (Updated)

Comments

From TSN:

BREAKING NEWS: The Washington Capitals have agreed to terms with restricted free agent defenceman Mike Greeen. Sources tell TSN it's a four year deal with an average annual salary of $5.25 million.

Posted by: GREEN NEWS | July 1, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

A little more than I woulda liked to spend on him, but no complaints here :). Now let's hope Huet gets signed in a hurry.

Posted by: Yosh | July 1, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Green has signed a 4 year deal with the Caps, TSN is reporting....

Posted by: caps insider reader 1st; tsn reader 2nd | July 1, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Commence MASS HYSTERIA!

Posted by: Matt C | July 1, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

A little more than I would have liked too, but at least it sounds like its done.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Tarik is it true?

Posted by: sb | July 1, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

it begins....

Posted by: AP | July 1, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

GREEN SIGNED at 5.25 million a year average salary...
Broke the news here!!!

Posted by: rdiehljr | July 1, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Ok, Huet next please.

Then Fedorov!

Then Brooks.

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

OMG!!!! $5.25????
Johnny, are you ready to be a starter?

Posted by: Finn | July 1, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

@Leeguru - Beers are on you brother!

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Excellent job and thanks for the update.

As far as Pothier, Im torn here. On one hand it sucks that we'll be losing a vet who had just started to play well when he went down.
On the other hand, if the doctors agree he cant play and he goes on LTIR, that frees up some cap space.

Either way I wish him the best and hope he gets better.

Posted by: captnclark | July 1, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I just cheered loudly about the Green news ... glad no one is asleep in the house. :)

Get Huet next!

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | July 1, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

If the 5.25 number is accurate, by my count we have just about 11 million left under the Cap....

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to go off topic for a moment but that was a great interview on XM204 yesterday, Tarik. I hope to hear you there more often!

Back to free agent mania.....

Posted by: Sherri | July 1, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Woo for Green!!

C'moooonnnnnnn Huet.

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 1, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Finn,

Chill man. The Salary Cap just went up a couple million for this year, and the caps had plenty of room to begin with. They only signed him for about a half million more a year than I expected, so it's not like it handcuffs them to sign Huet.

Posted by: Leigh | July 1, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

No offence, and I like Green, but he's getting more than Semin :) Isn't that strange?

Posted by: Finn | July 1, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

If you ask me, that's a bargain. He must've really wanted to stay here.

I'm am glad I don't have to burn my Greenie #52 Shirt like i've had to do with my Arrington, Smith, Davis & Trotter jerseys for that other team that changes players like underwear.

Posted by: Jim Cee | July 1, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Although if Pothier can't play, that number jumps up to 13.5 million due to the long term injury exception

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

This cinches it. Alzner or lepisto will start the season with the big club. I sure hope he can recover and live a normal healthy life.

Posted by: Jim Cee | July 1, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Not happy with the amount of money (way too much), but at least we resigned him - that's good news.

Posted by: mauree | July 1, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Couple blocks of jogging and he's in bed ?

I wish him well.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

That's terrible news for Pothier -- barely in his 30's and his career is done. I hope he has insurance or a lot of money in the bank for his family.

Posted by: JIM | July 1, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Pothier -
Hope you end up well and happy, whatever the outcome is. Take care of yourself.

Posted by: on ice | July 1, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"There's no goofiness in my mind."

This is just begging for a smart-ass retort, but I feel too bad for the guy to make one. I wish him well and hope he does what's best for his health and his family.

Posted by: Jill | July 1, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

anyone there want to chat with a girl who likes sports? Let's mingle here at +++++(((((((-----ukinterracialmatch. c o m------)))))))+++, where many black and white singles who want to meet and seek fun & love seriously! Join us to begin our connect!

Posted by: Alice | July 1, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, I don't feel like pothier NOT being around is a bad thing. It's not like he was a big impact player for us, and spent more time playing fair to middling and I'd hazard to say just plain average for most of the time he WAS on the ice. He had a few sparks of something else, but I think that's all it was.

If he goes on LTIR, then that opens up room to maybe keep Feds around.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Brian take care of yourself! Just puts into perspective priorities. Here we are nashing teeth about signings and talking about the players and this 30ish year old man jogs a few blocks and is in bed for a week.

My heart goes out to Brian and I wish him all the best as he continues to recover.

Posted by: Kim | July 1, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Tarik - great interview with the guys on XM yesterday! Thanks for the update on Pothier - I wish him a speedy recovery.
Also looking forward to hopefully seeing Clark back for training camp....

Posted by: HockeyMomVA | July 1, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Sources tell TSN the Detroit Red Wings and veteran defenceman Brad Stuart have agreed to terms on a 4 year contract that averages $3.75 million per year. Details to follow.

Its starts!!!!