Pothier, Kronwall Assigned to Hershey (Updated)

Brian Pothier's comeback has officially begun. The veteran defenseman, who has been out for more than a year because of a concussion, has been assigned to the Bears for a conditioning stint. If Pothier completes the stint symptom-free, he should be available to the Capitals in the coming weeks. If he has one setback, his career is likely over, GM George McPhee said.

"He's got a conditional clearance to play on a progression," McPhee said. "If he gets through that and there are no symptoms, we'll bring him up here and see what he can do. If he doesn't get through that, he's probably done. If there are symptoms then his career is over."

Staffan Kronwall, meantime, has been demoted to the Bears.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 4, 2009; 4:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps stand pat
Next: Caps pursued Anaheim's Chris Pronger

Comments

Presumably Toronto will pick him back up.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 4, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall to the Bears? Shocker.
Name once that the waiver wire has worked out for the caps.

Posted by: oo7 | March 4, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't heard, Olie Kolzig is now a Maple Leaf! KOLZIG A LEAF!

Heward was dealt to TO also

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | March 4, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Do we have cap space for Poither and Alzner on the playoff roster?

Posted by: ohaque23 | March 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

and this, people, is part of why GMGM didn't make any big moves... that an Nylander's NMC...

I for one, am glad he didn't mortgage the future!

Posted by: FrankM73 | March 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I am so PUMPED for Pothier's return. He should give us a little bit of a boost, even if he is more of a puck mover.

Posted by: reesem37 | March 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope Pothier does well down there. I would love to see him back up here! Although I hope he's 100%.

We may not have gotten any components at the deadline, but we didn't have to give up any of our future or prospects and with some free Cap space over the summer we might be able to grab a couple of guys.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | March 4, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

This is so risky about Pothier, I wish him the best of luck.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Pothier is a very Poti-type of defensman. Which means he will move the puck and usually make great clearing passes. Also means our PK will be a bit better. Hopefully he can come back in 2 weeks.

Posted by: redskins2448 | March 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

once the regular season is over the cap does not apply...from what I remember somoene posting a while back.

Posted by: caps28fan | March 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, the improvement to the defense for the stretch run will be a player one bad moment removed from retired. While teh teams surrounding them all made minor and sometimes significant upgrades.

We'll see.

Posted by: oo7 | March 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, he's been out for a year!!!
Look at Clark.

Posted by: SlavaKM | March 4, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

VegasCapsFan, don't forget - Johnson is due back in 3-5 weeks. So, there is your backup goalie. I am with you - things could have changed to help out. But, not sure if we had anything to trade for those players you mentioned. If we didn't have 50 guys on the roster under contract, things would have been different. We could probably get rid of most our draft picks as we should not need them for some time. But, that wasn't an option. Can't stress about it now - what's done is done... now, we hope for the best... That's all we can do as a fan, right?

Mauree, do you approve? ;)

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

So the Maple Leafs pick up up a Goalie who has said that his career is probably over.

The Toronto media will love that one.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 4, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Why did we pickup Kronwall? Are we ever going to give him some consistent playtime?

Posted by: nowanna1 | March 4, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

To be honest it seemed like Kronwall was the only defenseman out there last night that gave a crap. He was the only one who showed any effort.

Posted by: PonMan | March 4, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Toronto may indeed grab Kronwall, since he was heading up to the Leafs when the Caps nabbed him off waivers. It will be good to see Pothier again, despite the rust and cobwebs.

So far, it looks like Calgary may have been the big winner today. Rags got marginally better, but they overpaid for Morris (I think).

Posted by: m4ilm4n | March 4, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

_828, I believe Tarik said Johnson's injury was worse than expected and he's doubtful to return for the playoffs.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 4, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little miffed about Kronwall's demotion honeslty. He was hitting people last night. It was a breath of fresh air for a team that doesn't really hit much anymore.

I'm a little confused as to why we're holding so many poor defensemen right now.

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Kolzig move is just about getting the Leafs to ante up some money. I thought he wasn't expected back until after the season and only signed a one year deal? If that's so they got a guy that won't be ready to play until after his contract expires. All that changed is the logo and name on the check, unless they wanted rights to be the only team to negotiate with him until 7/1.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | March 4, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

antropov, avery, morris > dawes, prucha, kalinin.

Posted by: SlavaKM | March 4, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I think the cap doesn't apply to the playoff roster. Could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere once. I hope Pothier is healthy and gets to return to his livelihood. That is truly excellent news that should be the positive story to come out of this deadline day. Perhaps he gets back up to speed and the Caps essentially traded for a very solid defenseman.

Having lived on Long Island for many years though I worry about him potentially going through what Brett Lindros went through. For all of those that do such things, please have prayers for Pothier's return to health regardless of the outcome on the ice. For those not into prayers, wish him the best. Everyone wishes right?

Posted by: lornemyoung | March 4, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Saw Pothier at Kettler a couple of weeks back, he looked pretty sharp, still an accurate wrister and decent looking slapper.
Conditioning will be the true test.
I wouldn't give up on Kronwall just yet either. He played mostly on nights when the team just was all together bad.

Posted by: caps28fan | March 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers made out pretty well, but that's a lot to give up for Morris.

Posted by: reesem37 | March 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@828

hehe.

Yeah we don't really another goalie. I still think there was room for some serious strengthening if we didn't pull off the trade table names like Fehr, Flash, Bradley, Steckel, Gordon, Erskine, Lepisto, Sloan, Borque etc. And I still stand that we should do something for next year. But, I'm going to limit my whining now until after the playoffs. Contrary to what you might expect, I think getting past the second round would be a huge step forward.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@vegas
I was under the impression he was skating recently.

I cannot believe they sent down the only D-man who appeared to give two [expletive deleteds] about the game last night. Can the caps give him maybe 5 games in a row to maybe get something going?

Posted by: Ovechwin | March 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig went to the Leafs at the request of Wilson
Glad to see Heward playing, he is one of the best character guys in the nhl

Posted by: majiksea | March 4, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@ paul59

Are you serious?!? You say Green has been the worst player the last 4 games? Is there another Green in the league that I don't know about?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Capitals fans -- as well as some players in their room -- have to be disappointed GM George McPhee couldn't make a move to upgrade his goaltending depth. McPhee worked the phones, but he couldn't close on any deals. I believe the Caps could have used some help in goal and on the blue line. Last season, McPhee was able to get goalie Cristobal Huet and center Sergei Fedorov. Those deals proved vital for the club's run for a playoff spot. This year, the expectations are higher. If the team doesn't advance past the first round (where they were stopped last season), fans will be wondering why the Caps didn't make a move. In his defense, the Caps didn't have a lot of salary-cap space. On this deadline day, salary-cap issues really hamstrung several clubs around the league.

-ej hradek

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Also, I really thought Schultz was being dealt as trade bait. He's huge, young and +17. I thought teams would be all over him. But maybe they know he sucks lol

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

antropov and guerin went for nothing. Apparently, mngt is fine. "a couple of things fell through, we weren't intersted in paying too much, well give it a go as we are, we like the erratic nature of our consistency. We'll try harder next year, that's what we're shooting for."

So my question is, what if there are a couple serious injuries to the best players? Hold off another year?

Posted by: oo7 | March 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Can Kronwell be claimed off waivers after the trade deadline?

Posted by: HBFan | March 4, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I think it's amazing that the Caps are likely to finish with 10-15 more points than last year, and yet we'll still finish third in the conference, just like last year.

Posted by: jhamond1 | March 4, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

For stats lovers:

Semin's 80-footer vs. Boston was viewed 1.8 MILLION times on youtube.

Posted by: fnralch | March 4, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall send to Hershey? He played all his 3 games with heart and was faster than every other D except Green. He can get pissed off, cuz Caps honestly have worse D taking his place, doing nothing.
Or they will be paired together (Pothier + Kronwall) ?

Posted by: Hazz | March 4, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall is GONE, he could be claimed on waivers, not likely, if we recall him and someone claims him we are stuck for half his salary and no player, hope he likes the Bears

Posted by: majiksea | March 4, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall wasn't terrible but he hasn't shown anything yet that makes me think he's secured a slot in the rotation. He did have a nice hit last night but other than that, he's been mostly anonymous, and his previous two games he's been directly involved in plays that led to goals.

Playing three games in four weeks is rough on any player, so better he get some consistent PT somewhere while we sort out our playoff roster.

Posted by: donknutts | March 4, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@828, While Kronwall did look better last night your comment that "he only plays on nights when the team plays like crap" may be an indictment of him as well as the team. I'm not saying he's the reason we lost, but rather if the team always loses or plays poorly with him in, despite how he appears to be playing, maybe we're better off with someone else.

@HBFan, you might have a point. I assumed Kronwall would be waived to Hershey, but if he can't be claimed after the deadline then he's stuck. Kind of sucks for him. He plays well enough to get in the NHL, gets snatched up on re-entry, held on to and played sparingly and then given a one-way bus ticket. I would be more than a tad pissed if I were him...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 4, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PonMan | March 4, 2009 4:37 PM

------------------------------------------

exactly

so what do the stupid caps do ? they demote him. This org has no idea who their good defensemen are and who their bad ones are. Keystone Caps

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: donknutts | March 4, 2009 5:12 PM

He had TWO very nice hits. Both deep in the offensive zone. Obviosly you weren't watching the same game.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@maven1918

Yeah you are so right these guys don't have any idea what a good defenseman is... you available to take their place? I mean to draft Mike Green and Karl Alzner - what a bunch of boneheads!

You really think that Kronwall is that good? He hasn't stuck in the NHL for a reason - he is a borderline NHL player.

Come on...

Posted by: Roose | March 4, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

jhamond

Last year the Caps finished 3rd because they were division champs, but were actually 7th in the standings based on points. This year is true 3rd.

Posted by: fehrrocks | March 4, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

As a Caps' fan, I would have loved for them to bring in Pronger at the deadline today to help an already suspect defense. But when I heard Lisa Hillary of Comcast say that the Caps might have to part ways with Semin to complete this trade I thought to myself "no way"!!!!! In my mind, Ovie and Semin are untradable and life-long Capitals. Then I thought maybe Nylander and a draft pick for Pronger but then again the last two games (all at home) he has been a healthy scratch we have been blown out. Then I thought, goaltending. Let's face it, the goaltending is the weakest link on this team with the defense a very close second. The Caps allow too many power play goals and have been allowing goals while they are on the power play recently. Stuff like this means only one thing, another first round exit, which us Caps' fans should be used to by now because since that '98 Stanley Cup run we either get bounced in the first round or don't make the playoffs at all. Oh and by the way, I'm pumped and happy to see Brian Pothier skating and down in Hersey but he isn't the answer either for their lack of defense.

Posted by: outbeeze | March 4, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

glad to hear that pothier may return.
hoping that there won't be any setbacks and it will be a quick stint in hershey so he can get up here and help our defense.

but when he comes back, there will be the issue of who will sit. I hope it would be schultz, but knowing how much BB loves him, i doubt it.

Posted by: ILikeLaich | March 4, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

We have suspect goaltending and the speed out in front of Josie is weak. We needed help and George sat back and became a spectator. That was a poor response and we'll see the frustrating results on a consistent basis going forward...

Posted by: nickc | March 5, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse