Pothier Making Strides in Hershey

Tarik El-Bashir reports:

Brian Pothier's road back to the NHL is going smoothly down in Hershey, I'm told. But Coach Bruce Boudreau said this morning that he's going to proceed cautiously with the veteran defenseman, who's coming off a 15-month layoff because of a concussion.

"Again, he's played three games since Jan. 3 of last year," Boudreau said. "That's great news for our organization and it's great news for Brian. But we're not going to rush him. It's a long [term] thing. This is his training camp. We want to make sure he's fine before he's playing with us."

Speaking of the Bears, when I asked Boudreau if he plans to swap Michal Neuvirth with Simeon Varlamov now that Varlamov appeas to be fully recovered from a sprained knee, he said that decision won't be made for a little bit.

"When want to make sure [Simeon] is sharp," Boudreau said. "Michal has been fine here and Theo is playing well. ...I don't know what the right move is yet. I don't know if it's letting [Simeon] play a lot or bringing him up, or getting Michal more ice time down in Hershey."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 12, 2009; 1:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Skate Update: Brashear's Knee 'Not Good'
Next: Twittering the Caps

Comments

Great to hear he is doing well.

Posted by: CaliCapsFan | March 12, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Tough situation.

Everyone knows Michal isnt getting anything sitting on a bench though...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanzak1231 | March 12, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Thank God for Big East basketball on my computer - this day is dragging.

GO CAPS! PH Philthy!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

thats fantastic news about Pothier, hopefully that story has a happy ending.

Posted by: nag1055 | March 12, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

It'll be good to have another healthy D-man available but it seems like the forward ranks are getting thinner and thinner.
Maybe it's time for Green to audition at wing?

Posted by: pmoravek | March 12, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Fanzak...get back in your cage...the neighbors are freightened again. You and Malkin make a nice couple...maybe you two can squeeze out some Shrek babies.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

malkin is so good.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW, I RESERVED SOME TABLES AT MR. DAYS IN CLARENDON TONIGHT FOR THE CAPS GAME IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO COME OUT. THEY HAVE DRINK SPECIALS AND ITS A PRETTY GOOD CROWD SO COME ON OUT AND ROCK THE WHITE!!!!!

Posted by: numero94 | March 12, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I worry about Pothier. I'm glad he's skating again but there's so much risk involved in his decision to play. I'm sure he's consulted with doctors but there's no way it's 100% safe - it isn't for any player in any game. I'd honestly like to see him do well in Hershey, play out the season, and retire with his health and the knowledge the he busted his butt to get on the ice one more time before calling it a day. Good luck to him.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Come the playoffs if Pothier has played a handful of NHL games and we are playing a team other than the Flyers, I'd consider dressing Erskine as a 4th line W with minimal minutes. The thing I most like about Erskine is his physical PK play, so you could throw him back on the PK and potentially double shift Ovechkin and Semin when the 4th line is out.

Just a thought based on the fact we ARE going to have a nice number of defensemen if Pothier makes it back this year.

Green/Mo
Poti/Pothier (Schultz)
Alzner/Jurcina

Obviously not a super physical D-group, so dressing Erskine as a 7th D could work...assuming he was told never to go into the offensive zone due to the fact he'd never be able to get back to cover his man in the D-zone. :-)

Posted by: Jeff_ | March 12, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

give greener a go at winger.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll admit Malkin is good, I'd be stupid not too. If it wasn't for Malkin the Pens wouldn't even be competitive, DARN HIM. Sid is OK, but not sure if he has thick enough skin to survive the long haul in the league. Except for the big open ice hits he's reminding me of Lindross. Came in to the league as the next great one, started out pretty good, scored at a good rate, and then he got nailed by Kasperitus(sp?) and he was never the same. Crosby's downfall will be his inability to just play the game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 12, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Boudreau: The right decision is to bring Varly here. Come on. You know it.

Posted by: caraveli | March 12, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Can someone help erase the images of Sidney Crosby's GQ layout out of my head please? I can't take the guy seriously anymore. You compare that to our players and I'm just glad we're not at that point where magazines will be calling up our men to a photo shoot...yet. Though, I'm having mixed feelings about Ovi doing that Eastern commercial. But whatevers.

Let's GO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 12, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Re:
Green/Mo
Poti/Pothier (Schultz)
Alzner/Jurcina

Please, the caps will NEVER sit Schultz, and you only setting yourself up for disappointment if you think they will sit him.

Posted by: rarcr | March 12, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caraveli | March 12, 2009 2:21 PM

I think everyone knows it, but honestly I would like to see Varly getting full minutes somewhere, and then call him up before the Pos.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah.. BB loves Schultz. He probably uses him as reason why screening goalies would be a good thing if our guys would do it to their goalies.

Posted by: visionof75 | March 12, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd actually like to see Pothier paired with Erskine at ES, so the lines might look this way:

26-52
55-3
2-4/23

Either Erskine or Jurcina sits depending on who is needed. Mo could also be the odd man out, as could Potsy from time to time.

Also, for those of you saying "if" Potsy makes it back this year - I think you're looking at a when, not an if.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 12, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I would prefer to play the Habs in the first round and let the battle of Pennsylvania ensue.

Just don't put Pothier in the same room as Milan Lucic

Posted by: diner99 | March 12, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe it's time for Green to audition at wing?"
Posted by: pmoravek

Ha ha! Maybe you are right. My husband, who is relatively new to hockey, cannot understand what makes Green "D" as opposed to offense. He sees him as an offensive player and doesn't know why we call him D.

And, hey, what's wrong with our guys in a GQ or other layout? They are much sexier than Cindy Crosby (most anyway).

richmondphil

I hope you are right about everyone's assessment of Varly. I tend to agree with you that people know and hope that they don't let some silly principle interfere and make a silly decision. I do think that he should be here a little before PO's, though, to play some games and get in sync with the rest of the team. Hope BB is reading all this.

Posted by: caraveli | March 12, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Re:
Green/Mo
Poti/Pothier (Schultz)
Alzner/Jurcina

Posted by: rarcr | March 12, 2009 2:24 PM

true, Schultie can't do anything wrong. He can be on the ice for 5 goals against in the same game time and time again and his ice time doesn't even decline. He can end up a -4, zero hits, knock his goalie over and have the puck jump over his stick at the blueline over and over again without it affecting his status on the Caps one iota. However, god forbid Milan Jurcina makes one freaking mistake and Bruce decides to call him out in the press.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 12, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Green can skate backwards. It's funny to watch the forwards actually try to do it...a strange dance.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I guess the whole GQ thing just reaks of selling out. I'd hate for our guys to get a big head from all the hype and have something like that ruin the chemistry we have now.

I can't wait for the game tonight. Looking forward to following the game with posts on here and possible online feeds, being in LA and all. Rock the red (white?), Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 12, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 12, 2009 2:53 PM

You see Schultz close his hand on the puck and throw it over the boards, be sure to let us know, K?

Posted by: Section117 | March 12, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit, if you subtract the stupid penalties, Jurcina has probably been our most improved defenseman this season.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | March 12, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear it about Pothier. I hope it continues and I wish him luck. Players want to play and he does, but I think he has enough sense that if there are any symptoms he'll get out. He wants to be there for his family not arguing with his coffee with an Ozzie O. speech pattern. :)

All players can play themselves out of a job including Schultz. I don't think he plays as badly as many here think.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | March 12, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse