Poti Could Be Out

Defenseman Tom Poti, who is suffering from the dreaded "undisclosed" injury, did not skate this morning, I'm told. That probably means he won't play, but he's officially being called a game-time decision. I'll update as soon as I know for sure.

I'm also told that Tomas Fleischmann skated with the scratches and Matt Bradley did not. So we could see Fleischmann out and Bradley in tonight against the Canucks.

Kolzig will be in goal.

Note:Don't forget to join me for my weekly online chat at 2 p.m.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 26, 2007; 11:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Morning Update
Next: Tonight's Lineup vs. Vancouver

Comments

Any chance we could see Eminger? I'm guessing Erskine would step in, but that would be an interesting develepment.

Is Poti hurting enough that they'll put him on IR?

Posted by: billy | October 26, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

M I S E R A B L E

Posted by: why | October 26, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming this is causing some major changes with the power play lines right now.

Tarik, are they practicing with 2 lines or 1 to make up for the loss of Poti. Any word on who is paired together?

Thanks for your great reporting!

Posted by: Jordana | October 26, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Where does one find the chat?

Posted by: curious & lost | October 26, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

ERSKINE! ERSKINE!

Posted by: JP | October 26, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, what ever happened with Eminger ?? He's a good puck moving defenseman like Green, but is he hurt ?? Or is he just getting scratched every game ?? Thanks!

Posted by: Adam | October 26, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

As for Eminger he started the season on IR. Tarik, sorry to steal you're reporting....Erskine against the Canucks....just make sure he's moving his feet. Got a chance to see some of the Nucks on NHL Network the other net and boy they've got some serious speed. Luongo didn't look very solid but then again he loves playing against us for some reason...we'll see.

Posted by: Rdiehl | October 26, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Tarik...sorry, meant YOUR reporting THUNDER....dang...no editing available...

Posted by: Rdiehl | October 26, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Assuming the IR thing with Eminger is just a ploy, do you pick him to play?
...or do you need somebody like Erskine to knock the Sedin twins around?

Flame on...

Posted by: pmoravek | October 26, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

OH MY GOD WHAT ON EARTH ARE WE TO DO!?!?!

Posted by: scott | October 26, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Eminger. It seems like he's not going to play at all this season, in any jersey.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 26, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Dressing Erskine against the Canucks might will be a liability, and Management needs to realize that he is not a capable 6th or 7th NHL defenceman. Frankly, I'd much rather see Eminger take on that role.

Posted by: pdmtl | October 26, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I think that depends on if Eminger's injury has been "smoke & mirrors"
If he has full mobility, I would tend to agree with you.
I just wish we could get Schultz to take the body like Erskine does.

Posted by: pmoravek | October 26, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

whats the link to the chat?

Posted by: capsfan87 | October 26, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leigh | October 26, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Would activating Eminger trigger a roster move? Who would go down?

Posted by: tallbear | October 26, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I would think Eminger would be in for Poti, since the Canucks are a pretty fast team. But it's Hanlon's call and who knows if he's even made it yet.

Posted by: rad | October 26, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that Eminger being hurt isn't a "ploy" by management. Aside from the fact that I believe he's legitimately infirmed, I can't figure out what such a move would gain.

Posted by: Goat | October 26, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

If the Rangers trade Jags, are we still on the hook for his pay?

Posted by: Cheapseats Bob | October 26, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, those weekly online chats are like a glass of clean icy water for a thirsty man 5 days in the Sahara desert...

Posted by: alexovetjkin | October 26, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see the Rangers trading Jagr. He had the same problems when Ted brought him to Washington. No chemisty with his linemates. As long as that continues, the Rangers will continue to stink up MSG.

If the Ranger's management handle it the same way the Caps did, they'll move Gomez or Drury before they move Jagr.

Posted by: Mike13 | October 26, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

While Eminger may be a faster and more mobile d-man than Erskine, Eminger IS UNABLE to clear the puck from the defensive zone - thus leading to many more shots and scoring chances for the opposition. The Caps know this and that's why Erskine is a better play than Eminger!

Posted by: Jon | October 26, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
I just read your interview w/ the KB blog, it was awesome. Have even more respect for you now than I did before. I will offer one of the reasons why they can't get more people to attend games - the 7:00 start time. I can't get to a week night game from Ashburn area at a decent time to make it worthwhile. At least not on a week night. They should not have moved games from 7:30 to 7:00. Just my 2 cents. If you look in the caps chat room, some regular poster named HollowBoy even had to give up and go home the other night while trying to get to the game. What a shame.

Posted by: bbeers23 | October 26, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If the Rangers consider moving either Drury or Gomez, we should make a play for them. Maybe give them back Nylander? That'd make Jagr happy. AO is mature enough to play with anyone on his line without pitching a hissy fit like Jagr would. What a cry baby Jagr is.

This from a guy who's also a Rangers fan. When the Caps got Jags, I thought they were crazy. When they finally traded him, I was glad for the Caps, and peeved at the Rangers.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 26, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

So, sounds like the D lines are:

M. Jurcina - M. Green
S. Morrisonn - B. Pothier
J. Schultz - J. Erskine

And let's all pray for Schultz and Erskine.

Let's also hope that the O lines come back to help out again, and that Zilla plugged the 5 hole.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 26, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I'm a VIP season ticket holder, saw the online chat and saw your comment about the club level seats and point out that those seats aren't really the caps concern. The club level isn't actually sold by the Caps, its sold by Washington Sports and Entertainment. Many of those seats are locked up in weird "everything that plays here" tickets, where you get wizards, concerts, etc. So, many people have those seats (largely corporate owners) and use them for wizards and maybe the odd show, but can't give them away for the Caps. Only when the Caps are a hot ticket (playoffs or a big rival or Detroit) do those seats get much play.

But, on the other point you were dead on: 8000 (maybe) people against the Lightning is awful. I really dislike them, but they are incredibly talented and a great game. The best excuse I could come up with was: World Series.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 26, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Greg, where'd you get those D-line pairings? It seems strange to change up all 3 pairings because one guy is out.

Posted by: Jeff | October 26, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Most of you are probably familiar with the Times' blog, or maybe read about this over at the Caps site...but, it's definitely a change if the PP lines are rolled out like Corey reported earlier w/ 5 forwards on the first unit.

Posted by: Jeff | October 26, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I pulled a Hanlon...

Ignore my post above.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 26, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Eminger deserves a chance to play, and so does our future captain, Brian Sutherby. Fire McPhee, fire Hanlon and promote Bruce Boudreau to head coach.

Posted by: Pete Peeters | October 26, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

8000 people against a lot of teams is what you will start to see if the team doesn't demonstrate that this is the same old song and dance. Caps fans have lost interest in a team that has consistently lost. There isn't anything they haven't seen. They have been to the Stanley Cup Finals and lost, been to the playoffs plenty of times and lost, so it's going to take multiple trips deep into the playoffs to fill the stands consistently.
It's a shame also that the team is in the division they are.

The Caps sell more tickets when they play their old rival teams like Philly, NYR, NYI, and of course Pittsburgh. One of the reasons they do is because there are many fans of those teams that have moved to the DC area. Plenty of people from Carolina, Atlanta and Tampa live here to they just aren't hockey fans.

Posted by: capfan1 | October 26, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse