Poti Will Be a Game-Time Decision

Tom Poti said he'll be a game-time decision for Game 1 tonight. But considering Brian Pothier is still on the ice -- that generally means he'll be a healthy scratch -- I'm thinking Poti, who skated this morning, is going to suit up.

The status of Boyd Gordon and Donald Brashear is unclear. Brashear did not skate this morning, but both players have been cleared to return.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 15, 2009; 10:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: The Second Season
Next: Boudreau: Clark Has Been Cleared

Comments

"I'll have an update later on a few other items (including Mike Green's black and red fauxhawk)."

We want pictures, Tarik!!!

Posted by: tess2201 | April 15, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

It's time to put that digital camera to use.

Posted by: jincargo | April 15, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

More on the hair from Steinberg. Says Feds dyed his white and Backstrom got in on the action as well.

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 15, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

This hair thing is insane....hockey players are about the blanded people in the world, this will definitely get some press.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 15, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

vote for the phonebooth as loudest building in nhl

Posted by: _stevo | April 15, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Will this be an update with pictures???? Also Tarik, I saw you the other day ragging on the host of WPL for his playoff beard, you better have a good one to back that up....

Posted by: superpaqman | April 15, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The way Backstrom's hair has been sticking out lately, if he dyed it blue, he'd look like Krusty the Clown.

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 15, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Will the Caps start a fashion trend? Are Sid and Geno going to dye their hair black and gold? How about Danny Briere with orange streaks?
I love the personality of our team! :)

Posted by: tess2201 | April 15, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Copied from prior post:

It's looking like I might have a spare ticket for tonight's game in 426 row N. Let me know if interested, cost is $12. Gotta love the STH discount.

Posted by: Steve_R | April 15, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

tonight is not coming fast enough! Only 4 more hours until I get to leave.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 15, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Boy, it looks like Wise's article touched a sore spot. I am not sure why people are so mad about this article (and some of my comments). He didn't trash anyone. He just made the same objective assessment every prediction or opinion column I read made.

I shouldn't complain, though, since saintex has elevated me to the same level as a professional columnist: "The problem with writers like this Wise - and caraveli - is that they are obsessed with numbers that mean nothing...Well, by caraveli and Wise's ideas ..." I am flattered.

Actually, what I find insightful in Wise's columns is that he does NOT base his analysis merely on data or a single factor. On the contrary, he considers the whole picture, especially intangibles like team dynamics, psychology, leadership, relationships etc.

Far from obsessing with numbers, in fact, he makes the point: "Because it's not about astonishing saves and goals-against ratios as much as it is morale."

We have all talked about lack of morale of some sort(drive, motivation, confidence, hunger etc.) in trying to explain unexpected defeats to lesser teams. Theo's inconsistency looks to be tied to some kind of mental fragility--overthinking things, zooming in and out of focus, losing confidence quickly, etc. I didn't say that he is the only cause of our success and failure. Just that, being the defense's last stronghold and main anchor, this position is especially important in influencing morale and attitude.

It is great, however, that Boudreau puts a lot of trust in him, as he does with most his players. The flip side of Theo's mercurial personality is that, given his skill, he can swing the other way and play inspired, brilliant games in the playoffs.

I have a question about Avery and NHL regulations. Are there no penalties for things like hitting Tim Thomas' helmet? I always have a hard time understanding where the line is drawn. We have gotten penalties for goalie interference for much lesser things, like when one of our players slipped and accidentally fell on the goalie. What are the boundaries with regard, for example, to intimidating goalies and other players? Can someone help clarify?

Posted by: caraveli | April 15, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@caraveli, here to help. One last bit that crossed my mind last night is save percentage - a little better indicator of the individual goalie than goals per game, in my mind. Lundqvist is .916 and Theo is .900. Taking into account everything about both teams, that's not much of a difference, probably enough to matter. Assumming about 30 shots per game, per team (about the norm for both) it runs to about three additional goals over the course of seven games. Of course, that's purely against the league as a whole. I don't worry too much about three goals over seven games. If Lundqvist, with his .916, were plopped behind the Caps system, I'm pretty sure his number would drop at least enough to sit at or near Theo's; no one really complains about Henrik.

I don't disagree that morale is an issue but I more often seem to see the players hanging their heads on the goals that come from complete defensive breakdowns than the long slappers that beat any Caps goalie. It's pretty easy for Erskine, Poti, and crew to hang their heads when the breakdowns are so clear on many plays.

We'll no doubt disagree in the end and that's cool. It's what we're here for...

Posted by: saintex | April 15, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

caraveli:
is it possible theo gets discouraged at the poor play in front of him sometimes? all the odd man rushes? it could work both ways, this could be a vicious circle! :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 15, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

1) Why sit Pothier if Poti can't play? It would seem that either Jurcina or Schultz would be the ones to have to earn a jersey as Pothier is more of a rushing defensemen to replace Poti than the other two!

Posted by: fauxrumors | April 15, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The problem I am having with the Caps is that they are activating a group of players in Brashear, Gordon, etc. who are rusty and haven't played in awhile.

Meanwhile the club chose not to include Keith Aucoin on the postseason roster despite the fact HE was really the driving force behind the third and fourth lines getting scoring chances the last couple of weeks.

I would rather have Aucoin at 100% than Gordon at 80% or taking 3-5 games to get his skates back under him.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 15, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse