Poti set to return; Theodore to start (updated)

Slowly but surely, the Caps are returning to full strength.

Defenseman Tom Poti is set to return from a six-game absence tonight at Wachovia Center. Alex Ovechkin will be back from a two-game suspension Monday. Mike Knuble could return Wednesday from a 10-game layoff. And defenseman Shaone Morrisonn might return from a concussion at any time.

It's enough to make a coach smile - and feel a little worried.

"We're getting a little healthier," Coach Bruce Boudreau acknowledged this morning at Wachovia Center. "But at the same time, it's human nature to say, 'Hey, these guys are back, let them do it.' We've been winning pretty good as a team. If we can keep that up, then it's a great thing to get these guys back. If all of a sudden it's, 'Okay, now we don't have to work hard because now we have our team here.' Then all of a sudden we're going to be in trouble."

Something else that's got Boudreau concerned is tonight's opponent. After losing six of seven and being shut out in back-to-back contests, the Flyers canned John Stevens Friday afternoon and replaced him with former Carolina coach Peter Laviolette, who presided over his first morning skate today at the team's practice facility Voorhees, N.J.

The Flyers might be in 11th place in the East, but they're mad and itching to impress the new bench boss.

"We better be ready," Boudreau said. "They are going to come at us and be aggressive. I don't know how much of a stamp Peter is going to put on them in one day, with a morning skate practice. But you know he's a very aggressive coach. They're going to be an aggressive hockey club. We're just going to try to survive the first period and go from there."

"I'm sure the players will be very attentive," he added. "Because players are usually very attentive, at least for a short period of time, when a coach gets released. You never like to play the team that just released their coach."

While it's unclear how much change Laviolette can implement from a systems standpoint in one practice, Boudreau said facing a new coach complicates the Caps' preparation because Laviolette might rearrange the Flyers' line combos and defensive pairings.

"I don't know if he's changing everything around," Boudreau said. "So we have to worry about ourselves tonight and how we play, rather than what Philadelphia is doing."

A few additional notes:

*Jose Theodore will start tonight. He was awesome in Carolina. Everyone's anxious to see if he can duplicate that effort against a Flyers' team he beat, 4-2, on Oct. 27th with a 41-save performance.

*With Poti back, it looks like Brian Pothier will be coming out of the lineup. Pothier, who, in my opinion, has been one of the Caps' best blue liners this season, skated with the other scratches.

"We've got nine NHL defensemen," Boudreau said. "It's sometimes a coaching nightmare because you have to sit out two or three guys who are good players. It's not an easy thing to do."

*Alex Ovechkin, Knuble, Morrisonn and Semyon Varlamov were the others who stayed out for some extra work.

Update: Chris Bourque has been claimed off waivers from the Penguins and reassigned to the Bears, the Caps announced this afternoon. Bourque, if you remember, made Washington's roster out of training camp, then got caught in salary cap squeeze and was put on waivers.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 5, 2009; 12:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark on Ovie's absence: 'We can work around it'
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Flyers

Comments

"As for Laviolette's disdain for fighting, Boudreau cracked, "I don't think that's going to work too well here."" ... this made me smile

How good of a fit will be Laviolette and the "Broad Street Bullies" ... :-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Just went on patriot news web site and Chris Bourquqe is wearing #17 tonight in Hershey, reclaimed by the Caps today, The Caps posted about 10 mins ago on their twitter page

Posted by: BBDwrestling | December 5, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

shoot, itching trigger figure with that extra q, oops. Good to get him back in the organization

Posted by: BBDwrestling | December 5, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Pothier is getting some rest, and I think BB wants as much size as he can get in front of the net tonight...Alzner better show up with a chip on his shoulder and make this move worth it.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 5, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

bourque claimed off waivers, sent to hershey, could be in the lineup tonightfor the bears

Posted by: bearsfan26 | December 5, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the SI article, two points struck me. First, Kelley said that Ovi's intent appeared to be to deliver an elbow to the head. In fact, the video shows that Ovi's elbow never came up, and Ovi never came near Gleason's head. Second, Kelley states that the hit was "beyond the play," presumably meaning late. In fact, the close-up of the hit shows Ovi and Gleason in the same frame with Gleason still having possession of the puck. People can have differing opinions, and writers like Kelley are paid to present opinions. But they can't just make up facts. Going back some time now, there seems to be a real anti-Caps bias at SI. Are the writers Canadians, who don't like the Russian influence in the NHL?

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

ahahahah Chris Bourque stolen back from pittsburg, this is a glorious day even if he never sticks with the caps

Posted by: chetMcwhittington | December 5, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

If it's quality of play, Pothier has been far superior to Jurcina and Erskine this year. Guess Boudreau is going for size against Philly...

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 5, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, remembering the discussion about Chris Bourque some days ago, Bourque had his chance playing for a cup contender ... so I don't know, why it is good to have him back? He has played very good for the Bears but in the NHL?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree, why sit Pothier? I'd take him over some of the other D. He may not score a lot, but he won't hurt you, either.

Posted by: farmgirl19C | December 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@butcher - No question, can't afford to have two small d's (Poti and Pothier) against Philly.

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

You may be right that Pothier is getting rested. He is our smallest defenseman and having big, hulky, physical defensemen is probably more the recipe when playing a team like Philthy.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Poti isn't that small. He's 6'3" but comparatively skinny compared to some of our others.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

it doesn't matter who is BIGGER. It matters how big they play. And Pothier has impressed me with his willingness to muck it up and compete. I was never a BP fan but I give credit where its due.
When I think of players getting pushed around out on the ice, I think of Alzner and Schultz to an extent.

Even Carlson who needs some polish before he's ready was stronger along the boards and in the crease than Alzner is.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 5, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@caps fan - Poti is under 200# and proven to be unable to deal with power forwards in the crease. Good with the puck, but not physically strong.

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton - Desire counts, but it doesn't override the laws of physics. Alzner and Schultz are not what I would call "physical," but they are capable of getting the job done. Let's watch the game tonight and see what happens. I have too many memories of goals scored by opponents with the goalie screened or with a power forward tapping in rebounds/scoring on deflections in front, with Pothier and Poti futilely trying to neutralize the forward.

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

You'd have to be an idiot to scratch Pothier over just about anyone else on the blueline. WTF?

Posted by: alpca3877 | December 5, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@csstanton - One of the reasons cited by BB for bringing up Alzner and sending Carlson back down was Carlson's need to get stronger. I think Alzner get's a bad rap here because he isn't flashy, but he is fundamentally very solid.

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

However it may be, how do you think the d-pairing will be ? Just Poti for Pothier and the rest will be the same ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Is anybody else really happy we got Bourque back? I feel like it takes a little sting on the Nylander mess.

Posted by: bseastwood | December 5, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't understnd why anyone would complain about Alzner...he is more responsible than most of the regulars here. I hope we keep him up here next season.

I don't think Pothier deserves to be benched (I would chose Erskine) but he does tend to get pushed around more than I like, and I see how that could be aproblem against a reinvigorted Philly team

Posted by: capscoach | December 5, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Erskine has been AWFUL. His lack of speed is glaringly obvious. For how many giveaways and odd-man rushes the Caps give up with their offensive style, they need D who can get back quickly. Erskine looks like he's moving at half speed compared to the other guys out there.

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 5, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@butcher - Speed is not Erskine's forte. When he is played for a series of games, he tends to wear down and make more mistakes. For this team, he is an ideal 7th d in my opinion, allowing him to play against the more physical teams. Tonight, the Caps are going to war, so I would play him.

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

BB considers Green, Poti and Sarge as our top 3 D. Alzner is "not necessarily" going to anywhere. That leaves Juice, Potsy and Erskine for the last 2 spots. I can see why BB went with John and Juice since they are bigger, stronger and more physical which you need when you play Philly.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 5, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Will Bourque have to clear waivers if he is recalled in the future?

Posted by: gebster | December 5, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick - I like the Capitals d better than most posters, I think. In fact, if we could somehow replace Poti (due to age and contract) with Volchenkov, I would be really happy. With Ovi and Volchenkov on the ice, the opponents would definitely be keeping their heads up at all times. And with Carlson and Orlov in the pipeline, we would be in good shape for several years.

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Found out earlier today my son's travel hockey game in canceled due to snow. Good news is, I am now going to Philly for the game. My older son coaches mites and his team will be the mites on ice up there today. They are from Easton, MD. Make sure you cheer loud when they announce the kids since they are Caps fans. I will be waaaaaaaaaaay up in 221, probably getting pelted with anything that isn't attached to the floor. Let's go Caps! Headed out now.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 5, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

i hope bourque gets called up soon... i would like to see him on a line with perrrault and fehr

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 5, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I do believe the Pens willfully gave up Bourque. He did absolutely nothing in Pittsburgh.

Posted by: LonnieBeale | December 5, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@butcherbaker

I would probably consider Erskine the most expendable among the current cast of characters on the Caps blue line. But figure that he's playing tonight since the Caps need someone physical and tough against Philthy.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1: Enjoy the game, and be careful! Rock the red! :D

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 5, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

People on Japers' were speculating on whether Pothier could be banged up to some degree and that could be the reason he's being scratched tonight.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Hope you enjoy the game and that the Caps win. I won't be able to watch since I'll be attending my husband's office Christmas party.

(Actually, the Caps won the games last year when we were attending our office Christmas parties. One was a home game which I would have loved to have attended otherwise.)

This year, we're lucky on the schedule. The Caps are not home the days of our office parties. Just tonight's away game. (No game next Saturday.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Or no HOME game next Saturday. I recall the Caps play 4 games next week, only one of them at home. (Maybe Saturday next week could be an AWAY game. I just don't remember.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

You and RichmondPhil, another of our posters, ought to talk. He's also would love the Caps to acquire Volchenkov.

If Volchenkov becomes a Cap, can we call him "vulture"?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

doesn't matter how big or small, Pothier has been great all year... I'd much rather have him out there than Erskine any day no matter who they play

Calle Johansson was about Pothier's size and I don't ever remember him sitting out a game when healthy

Posted by: joek443 | December 5, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see the d-posters return. I always enjoy reading varying observations. Question, isn't one of Poti's strengths the PK?

Personally I like Alzner. I'm glad he'll be in the lineup. IMHO he's been strategically and positionally sound. I think he's been paired a great deal with Juice and has good chemistry with him, so maybe that will be the case tonight. Alzner just seems a lot calmer than last season. And Alzner himself has said recently that is working on the physical aspect of his game.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

It's a low-risk move - he was good in the A and he was good enough to make the team out of camp. We don't need him right now given our existing lineup, and we doubly don't need more small guys against Philly (although part of me is looking to see how Mini-Me does against the Brute Squad), so no harm in sending him straight to Hershey.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 5, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Most Penguin fans felt it was long past time to give up on Bourque. He had multiple opportunities on the top lines, especially with the injury to Evgeni Malkin, and he did NOTHING with them.

It was worth a shot, nothing ventured nothing gained, but it was definitely time to pull the plug on the experiment.

Posted by: guido40 | December 5, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

As I recall, Pothier sat the last Flyers game. Maybe his medical history is a factor, along with "physicality" (not actually a word, I guess).

Tarik recently made the point that Poti is very good on clearing the puck on the penalty kill. My main reservation is that clearing the crease is of importance of the PK.

One of the great things about this season has been to see Pothier come back and play well, after his injury.

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

I would not be surprised if his injury history is a reason he's sitting out.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

about bourque...

i am glad they picked him up...he is a guy that can do good things in the right system, pitts system is different than the caps, and the bears system is exactly the same as the caps, so if he starts to excel in hershey again, look for the call up to DC...if they didnt think he was worth anything they wouldnt have picked him up to just sit in hershey

Posted by: bearsfan26 | December 5, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

3) I also see that "The Hockey News" is recommending that the Caps trade Semin. (Note: the article was written before yesterday's game.) Suggesting that Minnesota & Nashville as possible options. Of course, do Minnesota or Nashville have any defensemen that we want? (I will definitely miss Sasha if he's gone.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 1:33 AM |

Nashville sure does. Minnesota? Not so much.

RE; Bourque

LOL....

RE; Stevens Fired

Players have taken the blame for Stevens being fired. Needless to say, they will be beyond fired up tonight.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 5, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil:

"Needless to say, they will be beyond fired up tonight. "

So a lot of pp for us ... :-)

... and some more injuries :-(

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 2:35 PM |

By performance, maybe, but based on other intangibles, it appears Juice or ShaMo would be either of the two most expendable. Personally, I'd like to keep both SHaMo and Juice this year, as both have been our only two sources of constant physicality.

I think Poti would be the best option, though not the most plausible. 3.5 cap hit and his overall play has been worse than both Juice or SHaMo.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 5, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl:

What wine will you chose for the game? I'll take a 2007 Riesling "Bockenauer Felseneck" Spätlese ... ;-)

GO CAPS!

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Like you, I figure that Poti is the most tradeable of our D-men. His salary and the fact that he's over 30 and his injury history. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but he's probably expendable.

But I admit, it's hard to figure out which are the best blue liners to keep. It's almost as bad as those choose the survivor exercises they give out. I would keep Green, Schultz, Alzner, and Juice at least. And they're all still pretty young. The others are harder choices. I can see why GM GM is having problems deciding.

BTW, have you seen Zmega's post. Zmega is also a Volchenkov booster and wants him on the Caps.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1
too sweet

Posted by: Steakum | December 5, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I love how Caps fans, or trolls, felt that GMGM and BB should have been crucified for "poorly mishandling" C-Bo. What was the other stuff people said? To play with a kids heart, and all that garbage?

GMGM obviously made the smartest move. A roster spot/cap space was needed, he cut the worst of the ones that remained. Better than operating over the Cap, like the Hawks, and having to deal with the headache next year.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 5, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

Agree on Alzner. He's played very well for us, as of late. Plus, he and Juice have great chemistry.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 3:46 PM |

!!!

Awesome. I didn't see the post, but I am glad another Caps fan have seen the value in adding him at the deadline.

UFA this year..not a bad cap hit (which is being counted for everyday he is with the Sens), and he is a hard-hitting, physical, "stay at home" defenseman. He also can make a great first-pass. And on top of that, he has all that playoff experience back when the Sens were good, and he's Russian.

I personally feel that he is better than any d-man we have right now too.

The only negative I can see about him is that he has been battling injuries this season, and I think it may have been a concussion. If he's not ready to go by then, then there might be no point.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 5, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: farmgirl19C | December 5, 2009 1:04 PM |

I love Pothier, and along with ShaMo and Juice, those 3 have been our most solid defense men.

However, if there is one complaint about Pothier I can think of, it's that he does have the potential to hurt us! I haven't looked at the numbers, but he seems to take untimely penalties quite a bit.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 5, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Carolina won a game.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 5, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@rphil - The more I looked into Volchenkov and thought about, the more sense it makes. As with any trade, health is a major issue. I guess Ottawa would part with him only if they were certain that they would not be able to resign him. Maybe he would want to play with Ovi? I assume he will be on the Olympic team with Ovi, so maybe Ovi can sell him on changing capital cities.

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@steakum:

Not really:

4.3 RS (residual sugar) ;-)

... its not as sweet as the "usual" Spätlese ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega | December 5, 2009 4:06 PM |

Volchenkov is listed on the Russian roster.

You're right, Volchenkov being moved is highly dependent on how the Sens perform this year and what Anton/the Sens intend to do for the future. Personally, I don't see the Sens making the playoffs, and based on that, he'll probably be moved.

I tried to do a scan of the potential defenders to be moved at the deadline next year, and every time I just kept coming back to Volchenkov. There's probably some other nice possibilities out there though, I just haven't came across it yet.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 5, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1
I just prefer really, really dry whites and any Spätleses I've had are way too sweet. But, it's been so many years since having them, I certanly have not tried the one you mentioned.

Posted by: Steakum | December 5, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@steakum:

Well, than you should try next time a "really, really dry" Spätlese or even Auslese Riesling from Mosel, Nahe or Rheingau. You will be suprised about the character of such wines. However, there is always the danger of having a sweet one if you don't know the winery ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we have to drink white tonight. But we can't have any bad karma even though I really prefer to rock the red.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'll have a beer instead.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

5-2 without Ovie. Trade him and Nylander as a package.For that team's next 5 number one picks. Just think what the Caps could to with 13 mill.

Posted by: sporttraveler | December 5, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Just think what the Caps could to with 13 mill.

Posted by: sporttraveler | December 5, 2009 4:38 PM |

They could get a 50-goal scorer.

oh wait...

Posted by: richmondphil | December 5, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Yay Bourque! Take that filthy Penguins!

Posted by: tgerbracht | December 5, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan75--Listen to the Mike Wise podcast 12/3 with McPhee on it. He mostly talks about Ovi, including a hair raising story about 40 stitches when his thigh was cut by a skate and he was back playing in the next game. BUT McPhee has some great things to say about Semin, about why he was so important to the Caps and what he brings to the ice. Good listen.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1
Well, I may just have to do that! Always interested in a new wine.

@Capsyoungguns
Hmmmmm . . . we have a bottle of red already opened, but my husband just put a white on ice. Maybe a pregame red and then a white. But, we are having chili, so maybe a beer? (It's snowing, we have to have chili, and I'm from TX originally.)

Posted by: Steakum | December 5, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I am worried about tonight. The Flyers will probably come out with rockets on their skates.

I was there when BB's new team played the Flyers the day after Thanksgiving two years ago and won (despite blowing a 3-0 lead) even though they were then the worst team in the league. The Flyers are a decent team going through a dry spell.

Hockey can be a very emotional game, and I am sure that tonight's match will be intense, at least for one side. Let's hope that we play just as hard.

Posted by: phillyreader | December 5, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

This sounds as if GMGM is very interested in keeping Semin ... :-)

... and I support GMGM point of view - you need brute strength and finesse ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoein1

It does indeed. Although when asked about the negotiations he quickly sidestepped the issue saying he never talks about that publicly. But yes it definitely sounded as if he considers Semin a key element in the Caps roster.

I agree too. I love watching his finesse with the puck.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum

Good idea. I can open a red and a white. I made beef stew for us. I'm a much more basic chef than Mrs.tominfl1. She is very good to him. But he does bring the wine!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1
And on that topic, I could not agree more and have said the same thing. We need players that complement each other, not too many of the same style. I must find that podcast. Glad to hear he's made those remarks.

Posted by: Steakum | December 5, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@phillyreader

I expect it to be a very intense game on both sides. It remains to be seen whether both sides can maintain the intensity. The games are usually very good with Philly.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Going out tonight so I'll have to stalk the scores online unless I'm lucky and they are playing the game at the bar I'm at!

And I'll rock the white... Or beer. Have we come to an agreement that beer is ok with the superstitions?

Posted by: mrszilla | December 5, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Sit Pothier....He has been one of the best defenders this year. He takes the puck out of the zone with ease and doesn't give the puck away doing it. I am confused about Bourque. He wasn't good enough for the Pens and we are loaded in Hershey...but we wanted him back. Huh. He is the third best little guy in our system. Perrault, Aucoin then Bourque.

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | December 5, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

... and I hope the referees can handle the intensity ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm having screwdrivers for the game tonight. I hope the Fliers also get screwed.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 5, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I like Steakum's idea of opening one of each--that way I can have my token glass of white with a red chaser. But beer has to be okay superstition wise since that's what I usually drink at Verizon and they've won many many times. How can beer be bad karma with hockey. It's impossible.

I found the podcast through a link through Japers in today's links--it's buried in the comment section talking about Kelley's infamous SI piece and how he was slammed for lying and other false claims when on air with Wise and someone else (can't remember who). Never found that podcast but saw this one and was really pleased. Put me in a better frame of mind for this upcoming game. The boys will have to be at their best i believe.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

@FloridaCapsFan
HA, HA, HA. I love new traditions in the making.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Great college football (even though my Hokies aren't playing!), snow, beer, a steak, and the Caps are playing the Flyers! What a great Saturday!

Posted by: eorr | December 5, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl:

GO CAPS!

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 3:37 PM

I bought alaskan crab legs - the cheaper ones, not the real expensive. I already opened Kim Crawford 2008 sauvignon blanc for lunch w/chicken sandwich and lentil soup so I will finish w/dinner and game.

ROCK THE WHITE!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 5, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Good SEC championship game on right now. Go Gators!

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 5, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

... each to their own: I'll rock the white ... :-)

and I'm not superstitious ...

However, I played soccer yesterday and we won, which is usually a good sign ... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 5, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I would be careful on the screwdrivers as they are orange. That's absolutely the wrong color or drink for tonight.

And did I see above someone made beef stew?

UH, we're rocking the white, remember?

That would be chicken, pork or seafood, please.

No red meat and no orange or red drinks for road games. And for God's sake when they play the Flyers don't eat carrots for dinner.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 5, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1, That's quite a not to do list there.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 5, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

On Bourque - how can they assign him to Hershey? I guess I don't know the rules. Caps tried to send him to Hershey end of Sept so put him on waivers. Pens snatched him but had to put him on NHL roster. They want to send him down so they do waivers. Caps reclaim him, but put him at Hershey?

Can someone explain that? Also I'm assuming if the Caps want to recall him they will have to do the re-entry waiver thing since he has played more than 10 games this year (I recall the re-entry thing being an issue if Aucoin hit ten games).

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 5, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

good to know Chris Bourque is back in the franchise.

I'd rather see Varly start to be honest. He should of had a shut out against Florida if his team didn't try to coast the last 10 minutes. Then the other goal was his defenseman's fault.

Posted by: breaklance | December 5, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"But beer has to be okay superstition wise since that's what I usually drink at Verizon and they've won many many times. How can beer be bad karma with hockey. It's impossible."

VALID POINT. not sure how i could have even asked the question, but considering how this game could be a real tough one i want to make sure im keeping it kosher :)

should be a very interesting game.....

i was also confused about sitting out pothier, esp since he has been great this season so far. but i trust BB, it must had been a matter of size in which came lumberjack and poti would be better choices. erskine might not be that speedy but he's good in games that are battles of strength vs speed. my trust is in BB to make smart line decisions so we'll see! I am glad we are going into tonight's game with respect for what Philly can do. they may not have been great the past couple weeks but they have potential to be a really tough opponent.

Posted by: mrszilla | December 5, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, we have a little problem with orange tonight -- because of Texas and they are playing Nebraska. Hook 'Em Horns!

However, the Flyers jersey is going in yhr freezer (yes, we have one because my sons have wanted a variety through the years). We also could burn it in the fireplace.

Posted by: Steakum | December 5, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1, That's quite a not to do list there.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 5, 2009 5:39 PM

Also, don't step on a crack or you break your mother's back.

It's tough being superstitious.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 5, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"Good SEC championship game on right now. Go Gators!" Ha I have to disagree, ROLL TIDE! Sorry gotta cheer for them because they beat VT.

tominfl1: Why do red meat? because of the away white uni's?

Posted by: eorr | December 5, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

i get the erskine move tonight
cause he is big

but i would love for this to normalize somehow keep alzner up...we need some defenseman with upside...

Posted by: cotelloer | December 5, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

being superstitious is tough but its the one way to "help" :)

however i say we can eat red meat all the time (bc thats my principle in life) just as long as you dont have red wine

Posted by: mrszilla | December 5, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, the pup will be wearing the old white home jersey (my jersey from when I was a kid, and yes I do put a Caps jersey on my dog). I think that will counter the red meat dinner.

Posted by: eorr | December 5, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

My screwdrivers are a vibrant yellow.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 5, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh no! Not looking good for the Gators.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 5, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum

In my case, I'd be rooting for Nebraska instead of Texas. My dad got his graduate degree from there and my mom attended two year today.

Also on the college football front, William & Mary clobbered SIU, who ironically enough, was the college my mom finally graduated from. So it was my alma mater vs my mother's alma mater.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

And did I see above someone made beef stew?

UH, we're rocking the white, remember?

That would be chicken, pork or seafood, please.

Posted by: tominfl1

You're killing me. I already made the stew. And I love red meat. But I will avoid the red wine chaser and drink all of my token bottle of white. And I promise to leave the the carrots in the stew off of our plates. Good point about the orange.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum

And here I thought we were the only ones with jerseys from other teams. My son has--shudder--a Flyers, Devils, and Rangers jersey. And he wants a Bruins for Christmas. When he asked for a Pens jersey that's when I put my foot down and said NO. It was one of my better parent moments.

He does have the proper fan sense, however, and never tries to wear an opposing team's jersey if we are playing that team night. That concept he gets just fine. But he does love his jerseys.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1
From the CBA;
13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular, Re-Entry or Unconditional Waivers,
and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the
original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the
original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league
within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not
participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster
more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

Posted by: sleepy3 | December 5, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

We'll be going to my husband's office Christmas party. I'll rock the white in the culinary department. But rocking the red is appropriate since the Caps are red and the Flyers are orange. The orange men to the North. Okay, if we really wanted to carry the analogy further, make like the Irish Catholics and wear green. (Since the Protestants wear orange.)

Wait.... I am Irish Catholic.

I'm wearing red (and black) tonight for Christmas.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I never drink beer made in the state (or country) of that night's Capitals opponent. Fortunately, Maryland has some great breweries.

Posted by: uncatim | December 5, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

Don't get too drunk on the bottle of white wine. We don't want you impaired for your Caps' rooting detail.

Still, on the red. Red is a more appropriate color tonight than orange. We still have red trimmings on our jerseys. (Just avoid the orange.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 5, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns
With 3 boys, we have tons of jerseys from all over the NHL. However, they all are getting new red Caps ones for Christmas.

I am totally ashamed to admit that my youngest (11 and a PeeWee) has a . . . gasp . . Cindy one ... and it's his second one because he lost the first one. We have put it in the freezer, too, last season. His brothers forbid him to wear it.

Posted by: Steakum | December 5, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75
Go Wary! (That's son's nickname for it).

A few years ago when TX played the Univ. of Spoiled Children for the national title, we put our UT flag up on our neighbors flagpole -- he had a USC flag up. We held it for ransom. Sent a ransom note with Mr. Bill and pictures of the flag being used in the dog's bed, as a bathroom rug, etc. The neightbor, a good friend, still talks about it. Austin did the dirty work for me while I took pictures.

Posted by: Steakum | December 5, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum
My son is getting a Backstrom one for Christmas too. I talked my sister into getting the Bruins one. He outgrew his Ovechkin one so it now is the we get autographed and is pinned to the wall next to his other Ovi images--his personal Ovi shrine. I feel better about the opposing teams jersey--at least he hasn't left this conference yet.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1
I'll share it with my husband. Gotta be able to root for the Caps properly. But I promise to outshoot the red of the stew effectively with my white wine.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 5, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

sleepy3: Thanks for that explanation. My God, but that's a complicated rule. So, the easiest way to send Bourque to Hershey was through Pittsburgh first.

I'll bet the re-entry waivers applies though if they try and bring him back.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 5, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns
Don't feel bad -- they all go through their heroes on other teams. My oldest got a Jagr jersey after he left here.

Christmas, oldest getting my personal fave, #28, middle is Laich, and youngest is Flash. Their choices.

Posted by: Steakum | December 5, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse