Poti to miss Game 7

Defenseman Tom Poti will miss Game 7 against Montreal tomorrow night after getting hit in the right eye in last night's 4-1 loss at Bell Centre.

Poti flew back with the team last night and was scheduled to have surgery today. Coach Bruce Boudreau estimated Poti would miss two to three weeks, meaning if the Capitals win tomorrow, they would be without him at least until the conference finals.

"You never see anybody get hit in the face, especially the eye," Mike Green said. "He has to go in for surgery today, and we all wish him the best. It's unfortunate that that happened."

Green said he did not speak with Poti on the flight but that a doctor was with him.

Poti's absence from the lineup probably means either John Erskine or Tyler Sloan, both of whom were at today's optional practice, will be inserted, although Boudreau declined to be specific.

"Tom Poti's been great," Boudreau said. "You lose one of your most experienced players, it's a tough thing, but it's the playoffs. You lose players. People come in. It's a chance to be heroes. It's what hockey's all about. It's a battle of attrition after awhile when you play a team seven times in 10 days."

Here's a video with more from Boudreau:

By Gene Wang  |  April 27, 2010; 12:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin among those not at practice
Next: Game 7 experience not necessarily advantage

Comments

Get well Poti...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't like to hear that.

Chance for someone else to step it up. We're going to need it.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 27, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? Poti's been playing great with a playoff leading +9.

I really hope we win tomorrow. We all could use a sigh of relief.

Gah! I can't believe we've lost Poti!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

CHOKING DOGS!!!!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I hope his eye is okay. A slapshot to the eye does not sound good.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Repost from previous thread:

@people saying it's over, they're choking dogs, etc.

You can say that after they lose, but to say it before they lose is a loser attitude. Winners think they can win until the very end. Even saying it doesn't look good, or the other team has the momentum is okay. But, to give up before the last game is what losers do.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Yet another reason to bury a team down in game 5 -- lose a good player in game 6. I'd go with Erskine, even though he is slower than Sloan. He is mean and the Caps need more of an edge for game 7. I also would go with Theo for possibly his last game with Washington. He may just turn up his game to consistently good. Finally, take out Flash for Walker -- more grit. Oh, one final point, another optional practice before a game 7. Why not just set tee times for next week? Not like the Caps could not stand some serious PP practice, hurumph

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | April 27, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Bring on Alzner, no joke, really

Posted by: flee001 | April 27, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Coach Bruce Boudreau estimated Poti would miss two to three weeks, meaning if the Capitals win tomorrow, they would be without him at least until the conference finals."

lol, conference finals, good one!

Posted by: The_Spear | April 27, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope LaVar Arrington can come up with some answers to the Caps shortcomings.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 27, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Alzner or Erskine NOT Tyler Sloan

Posted by: riceldi | April 27, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to believe that they are going to lose 3 at home

Posted by: bluejeener1 | April 27, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

That is a blow. Poti and that nine-foot long poke-checking stick of his, not to mention his veteran presence - will be missed. Heal fast Poti!

Posted by: Avar | April 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope his eye gets better, but this is not a huge loss and someone else can step in and do the job or more ice goes to the miracle rookie - John Carlson.

Per Ted's numerous blog posts - we added depth without giving up prospects or picks, so let's see Sloan/Alzner/Juice or Erskine fill in as depth / role players.

While we're at it - let's juggle the offensive lines again, and promote Bradley to second line center. I mean, it's very plausible since Belanger - a 10 year career third line center is now 2nd line material as a rental player for the Caps, so why not Bradley - same sort of pedigree with more feistiness.

Posted by: Jaymagz | April 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Alzner??? give me a break

Posted by: doughless | April 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Alzner or Erskine NOT Tyler Sloan

Posted by: riceldi | April 27, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

actually Sloan, Erskine..in that order.

Alzner's not getting recalled. You're not throwin in Alzner into a game 7. The kid's never played a playoff game and he hasn't played on this team or practiced for a while. He'll be out of sync. And he's not very good anyway.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

have the Caps lost three games in row this season?

Posted by: The_Spear | April 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@ SuperZ3383

"Chance for someone else to step it up."

Statement Invalid. Does Not Compute. Fatal Error.

Posted by: LesGrossman | April 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

none of the statistics mean a thing. The Caps control their own destiny. And their play has put them in a game 7 situation so let them dig themselves out.

I just don't want to hear a single excuse if we lose. I don't care if the half the team comes down with the plague. No excuses.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton1- The Habs did it last night with PK Subban and he looked fine. With that said, I'd rather they played John Erskine over Sloan or Alzner.

Posted by: The_Spear | April 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

All the pressure is on Montreal....they are expected to deliver on Wed...that Caps fans are down in the dumps already...we've expect a loss...no pressure there.

I predict Halak gets pulled....Lappiere will get a 5 minute major for diving as some point.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@the spear

yeah a few times this season.

Posted by: ludeman95 | April 27, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I think it is time to bring in Alzner and see what he's got (MP too). Pair Alzner with Carlson. It is risky, but the two have played a lot with each other and that could be helpful.

Yes, Alzner will be nervous but does anyone here actually think he will be any more nervous than if he was called up in game 4 or 5? I mean, a person can only get so nervous and I would imagine Alzner would reach that top level of nervousness in any first playoff game.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Poti is tied for the 4th most points on this team in the playoffs. How are we supposed to make that up??? Semin, Green, Flash, Laich.... any of you guys have an answer?

Posted by: Firepelosi | April 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully they will play with a sense of urgency tomorrow night.

They did too much passing...no one wanted to just shoot the puck. didnt see knuble crowding the net as much.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | April 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Spear | April 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

there's a huge difference between Subban and Alzner. The only correlation is they're both rookies. The way each of them play is totally different. Subban is much stronger on the puck than Alzner is. He also skates better. I would have no problem playing Subban. The player who is actually playing good defensive hockey down in Hershey is Sean Collins. He looks like a tower of strength on D right now.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@cstaton1

Did you see this quote from Red Fisher? I sounds like he thinks Halak played pretty well.

"I'd say in terms of playoff hockey I've seen -- of course I've only covered the Canadiens for the past 55 years -- that's the best goaltending I've seen next to Patrick Roy against the Rangers in overtime [1986]," said Red Fisher, 82, high above the Bell Centre ice. "Roy stopped 13 shots in overtime that night before the Canadiens had one shot -- and Claude Lemieux scored on it. Other than that, tonight was the greatest."

Posted by: sgm3 | April 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@The_Spear

To be fair, Subban is a highly touted prospect who is described as exuding considerable confidence and maturely play for being so young.

The kid is nothing short of charismatic, really. He is going to shine in that MTL spotlight for years to come.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@sgm

Halak's performance is being compared to and considered greater than Roy's in 86 and Dryden's in 71.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@cstaton1

Posted by: sgm3 | April 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

not to sound self-serving here but...i can see where people get caught up in the frenzy of the game and start making bold statements.

The crowd was going nuts, they could see the Caps were the better team and the only way to beat us was strong goaltending, the Habs got waxed in 4 last yr so there's more pressure and more excitement that they're doing well against a #1 seed. In that atmosphere with the quantity of shots on goal, I could see where announcers and analysts would go a bit overboard with their analogies. It happens.

In hindsight, I've seen better goaltending. Hasek and Brodeur have put together better games than Halak did last night. The credit I really give him was his endurance. To face that many shots and to be constantly moving around that much due to the offensive zone pressure.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I've been one of those on here saying Halak performed great.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Where are all you stat geeks who so meticulously put together charts showing - down to the goal per minute - how good the Caps were? And how they should roll through the playoffs?

Well, you forgot to measure two things: 1) the choke factor, which you could have determined by Green's and Semin's numbers vs. Pens last year; and 2) checking the Caps playoff history of losing to inferior teams.

Until you investigate the latter, please, no more stats. Get a real job instead.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | April 27, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why Boudreau hasn't called up Matthew Perreault. He's small but quick and, from what I've seen, fearless about going to the net. I just think Perreault would be able to match the Habs' quickness. Just a thought.

I'm routing for them.

Posted by: david_P | April 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@sgm

Yes, as am I. I'm just saying, hockey insiders, reporters, etc, etc are billing Halak's performance that way.

I still think our defense is horrible, and there's no reason why goal #2 and #3 should have went in last night, but I'm not going to take anything away from Halak.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

in general, the Caps don't like to mess with Hershey's lineup unless they absolutely have to.

it would also be an admission of failure that they have to bench their top FA target and one of their top TRADE DEADLINE targets if they had to insert MP ahead of BMo and EB.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

GMGM
Not that it is over yet. The Caps always play best when it looks bleakest ... and I've watched that for 30 years. I thought the McPhee days were different from the Poile years, but I guess not (BTW, raise your hand if you're shocked that the Poile Predators blew it).
But let's look dispassionately at what McPhee has done over the last year: he knew he had 2 glaring needs: a shut-down D, and a 2nd-line center. Anybody think Corvo is a shut-down D? No, I thought not. And now he can't even play offense (oops, I overlooked his ONE decent game -- a doesn't-count mop-up against the 'Canes). As for center, I like Belanger as much as anybody, but he's not a 2nd-liner, and BMorrison proved to be a waste (as he had shown the last few years, BTW). In other words, GM did nothing to address the 2 obvious needs. Worse, by adding so many forwards, he forced Bruce to experiment so much he screwed up the offensive cohesion -- which we haven't had since the trade deadline.
Finally, why not play Perreault? When he's out there, things happen, and he's gotta contribute as much as Flash and some others. Oh, I know, 'he's small.' Yeah, kinda like most of the Habs.....

Posted by: wotansdad | April 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

36 years of waiting for a Stanley Cup and probably spending $100,000's dollars on this team as a fan over those years gives me the right to call them CHOKING DOGS, because they have given no other reason other than to call them CHOKING DOGS. Call me a loser, and I will call you a Caps Fan also.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I blame goal #2 on Varly. He has to make that save. Goal #1 was a bad bounce on a blocked shot. It happens. Goal #3, is a tough one to put too much blame on anyone. The shot was from a decent distance out, but it was a great shot so the shooter does deserve some credit. It was a saveable shot too, not easy, but saveable.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

(BTW, raise your hand if you're shocked that the Poile Predators blew it).

____________________________

Can this statement be any stupider? Poile turned the Preds around from a bottom-feeder to a playoff-contender very quickly. DId anyone even expect the Preds to hit 100 pts this year? If you say yes, you're either lying or a Preds fan.

Much respect to Trotz too, who would have more to do with the lost series than Poile.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The Red Fisher BS is actually a good thing. If they need not only the greatest performance of Halaks life not to mention one of the greatest performances by a Montreal goaltender in the last 55 years to win a game, then so be it.

I can guarantee you one thing for tomorrow, Halak will need to live up to what he did last night because the Caps are going to come out like a bunch of caged gorillas at the start of the game.

F Halak, F Montreal and F their fans...come out and give them hell.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 27, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

We're done...the presidents trophy curse bit us

Posted by: kickass10101 | April 27, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon, you're a loser. Now go get your racket, put on some white knickers and hit the courts since you're done with the team and the season.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 27, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wotansdad

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | April 27, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we've certainly seen the Poile track-record: turn around a dismal team into a pretty-decent one, but never win a series you're not supposed to, and lose a heck of a lot you should win, often blowing series leads in the process, some with (like this year's Caps) 2 of the final 3 at home). To place some blame on Trotz doesn't absolve Poile.
As far as how many points NAS got this year: as we are seeing, who gives a F about regular season points?
On another subject, I've been amused to read recently in various places about Green's 'lack of intensity.' This is news? When DOES he show any intensity. I'd settle for just a bit more focus. Last year, we had the injury and exhaustion excuse. What will it be this year? Maybe he's just not a player you win with???.........

Posted by: wotansdad | April 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised about Poile. His biggest strength is to turn a team competitive quickly but then have no idea how to add the pieces to take them to the next level. He's not one of the great GMs. He's a good one. As an owner, you have to recognize when to hire guys like that and when to fire em. and the GM needs to do the same with his coaches. Players tune coaches out after a while unless you're Bowman.

The Avs won the Cup with 2 different coaches, none of whom impress anyone right now - Hartley and Crawford.

The key to a Cup is having a great GM who knows what his team needs, when. And sometimes you pull the trigger on a coach who has outlived his usefulness even if he got you a Cup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

i vote for using Theo, Scott Walker, Mathieu Perreault, and Karl Alzner. I vote against using Fleischmann and B. Morrison.

As for Green, he played better last night. He hit the post, and made several decisive, aggressive plays either to keep puck in Mont zone, or to carry it in. I hope he will keep improving.

I think Varly should have stopped both goals 2 and 3. The latter wasn't soft, but the guy on the other end of the rink was standing on his head. We needed our guy to do same. Lost in all the talk of Halak's greatness was Varly's ordinariness. I don't know if he was tired, from suddenly playing 5 games in a row after sporadic action during second half of regular season. But I think it's Theo's turn now to see what he can do.

I'm really feeling down in the dumps about all this. Not giving up, but not looking forward to Wed nite either. Dreading it actually.

Posted by: troyerlaw | April 27, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town: "All the pressure is on Montreal....they are expected to deliver on Wed..."

Huh.... WHAT ????

And LA-Spear: Difference between Subban and Alzner is, Subban is in the AHL top 3 D and is a future Norris winner, Alzner is.... errr, who is he again?

Posted by: iam73 | April 27, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

If Hapless Bruce had had his team ready for games from the start in this series, the team wouldn't have played last night. What a total tool this guy is.

Posted by: caps1974 | April 27, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

thanks, moose33, you said it well

and F the morons who come on this blog just to kick the Caps and management when they're down.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 27, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse