Posted at 8:12 AM ET, 01/12/2011

Bruce Boudreau says Caps are losing games on the power play

By Katie Carrera

Over the last month and a half, the Capitals have struggled on the power play -- that much is hardly new. But now that Washington has started to play better and is beginning to find that elusive balance between offense and defense that's so often been talked about recently, the deficiencies on the power play grow even more glaring.

Tuesday night in the third period against the Florida Panthers with the game tied at 3, the Capitals had a power play with rookie Evgeny Dadonov sent off for tripping at 12:31.

It was the perfect moment for Washington to try to take its first lead of the night, but instead, the Capitals didn't get a shot off. Washington finished 0-for-6 on the power play against the Panthers and after the 4-3 overtime loss in Sunrise, Fla., Coach Bruce Boudreau let his displeasure with the play on the man advantage be known.

"If we're going to look this lethargic on the power play, that's where we're losing games," Boudreau said. "It's not 5-on-5, it's not the penalty killing, it's the power play. I keep putting the same guys out thinking that OK, eventually it's going to turn around, but it's not. I mean, we're going to have to do something to shake the power play up.

"We have a chance to win the game with a power play and we don't even get a shot on goal. We don't get a chance to set it up in their zone and especially when [Tomas] Vokoun was fighting the puck there in the third period. Guys aren't working hard enough."

Asked what in particular is going wrong with the Capitals' power play, Boudreau replied: "It's everything. Bad plays, bad thought decisions, staying out too long, not winning battles...What we do in the morning going over every team and getting out there and not doing anything that we're supposed to.That's the stuff that's ticking me off on the power play."

Against the Panthers, Boudreau used nine players for at least two minutes each on the power play but the same problems continued. While this has been a trend for some time, just looking at the past nine games (beginning with the 3-2 win in Ottawa), the Capitals are 4-for-41 on the man advantage or 9.7 percent effective.

By Katie Carrera  | January 12, 2011; 8:12 AM ET
Categories:  Bruce Boudreau, Power play
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals fall to Panthers 4-3 in overtime
Next: Statistical analysis: What are the Caps' best line combos?

Comments

I support BB on this. The PP is not working. He has to do something. Be it changing personnel, changing alignment, or changing whatever he needs to in order to get it fixed or at least somewhat effective.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 12, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

You can't take that many penalties or 5 on 3s...esp. in an away game.

Interesting that Ovie was actually a plus 1...that surprised me.

I think BB is getting pretty frustrated about the PP, and I wouldn't be surprised if certain stars lose significant ice time on it...my guess is Backstrom and possible Ovie.

Ovie has looked good the past few games, he has chances has a goal and a couple of assists...Backie's play has been invisible, and even his defense is starting to slip. He has to find a way to contribute...at least when Ovie is going pointless he throws his body around.

Posted by: capscoach | January 12, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse

If I were them I'd be offended. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 11, 2011 4:49 PM

that shouldn't also be the case.
if a child were to ask "why are you in a wheelchair?" or "do you always have to wear that helment to protect your head?" - you shouldn't be offended :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

I don't get it.

A poster has accused the medical staff of faking an injury in order to place a player on IR. I don't think the medical staff is guilty and suspect they might be offended by the accusation. That part I got. What I don't get is your reply. I suspect there is a joke in there, but I don't get it. Please explain. Thanks.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 12, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

interesting, they are losing games on the powerplay... man watching the last couple of games I never would have guessed that... i mean their powerplay looks fine.......

Posted by: captainobvious | January 12, 2011 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Well, with three Panthers goals coming with only 3 Caps on the ice and the Caps scoring all three at full-strength, it would be pretty hard for any player on the ice of a goal to be anything less than 0.

Posted by: saintex | January 12, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

In addition to not winning any battles along the boards, the power play isn't winning any faceoffs so they spend the first 20 seconds of every re-start just chasing the puck down.

Posted by: cao091402 | January 12, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Bruce needs to look no farther than himself. Whether it's a power play that is not operating like it's supposed to, or playing like a bunch of tourists on vacation for the first half of the game, or putting yourself in a position where you only have three skaters on the ice (whether from being two men down, or giving up a pp in overtime), it all speaks to a lack of team discipline. They are inconsistent with their effort and generally disorganized at all times. That all falls on Boudreau's inability to get his team "up" for games and motivate them to perform. Since that's his primary job at this point of the season, I think it's a pretty big problem. How can you go into a division rival's building with an opportunity to take over the division lead and move up in the conference standings and start the game with such a lackluster effort??? That is unacceptible, especially with the teams behind them in the standings breating down their necks. That lack of preparedness falls squarely on Boudreau.

Honestly, this team is beginning to remind me of the Jagr era Caps...well-paid and lazy.

Posted by: aybee27 | January 12, 2011 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Sure, it would be better if the PP unit had scored, but those 5 on 3 situations killed the game for the Caps last night. So maybe Bruce need to split the focus between the PP and getting the players to their penalties.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 12, 2011 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what SAOTI will do if Semin is ever traded.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 11, 2011 10:32 PM

I'd shed a tear or 2, spend a day cursing on CI, dye my Semin jerseys black (minus one in hopes of a return) for mourning purposes and occasionally post something like "I told you so" or "SMH" (shaking my head) when Semin scores 50+ for another team or single handedly beats the Caps upon playing them.

OR...I'd move on and root for the Cappys, strut my Ovie or Backs jersey until Eakin or Kuzzy make the roster full time (perhaps Orlov) and I can don their jersey as a tribute to them. I'll still boo Esskay and yell my cheers at home games "Hit Em in the FACE".

Oh, and I'd be forced to change my CI handle and come up with something else comical.

Speaking of handles/nicknames...I hope they choose my question for ChimChim to answer. Would love to hear some of the inside the locker room nicknames. =)

@saintex
Perfectly worded and great explanation. Couldnt have said it better.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 12, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Despite missing 6 of the Bears games Andrew Gordon leads the AHL with 11 power play goals in 31 games so far this season.

Posted by: dull | January 12, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Can't we just decline the penalties? Geesh!

Posted by: OviFan08 | January 12, 2011 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, their powerplay has looked brutal. Guys are getting the puck and just standing still until a defenceman is on them most of the time. Then when they do move it around, for some reason instead of having a guy in front of the net, Knuble is playing high in the zone (like 10 feet in from the blue line) so if they do get a shot there's no chance it's going to go in because the goalie can see it the whole way, and there's no one for a rebound. But the biggest thing seems to be how long they wait to make a play along the boards. Semin's been really bad for that all year, Green did it a few times last night, Backstrom's been pretty bad for it as well. I don't know if they have some sort of timing play they're waiting on, but it just looks like they're sitting with the puck or skating really slowly until a defenceman is on them. Then they end up either losing the puck or rushing a bad pass. With them playing that slow and having no one in front of the net, all teams need to do is play aggressive on the penalty kill against them. If they're moving the puck quickly and have the opportunity to get good shots off, you can break down an aggressive PK. But with how much time they're taking to make plays, it's way too easy to defend. And with no one in front of the net firing the puck if they're getting rushed won't do anything for them. First thing, get someone (not Ovechkin) and stick him right in front of the goalie for the entire powerplay. Make that his only job. Maybe Chimera or Fehr. Not a playmaker, not someone who's going to roam around the zone. Someone who can plant their feet in front of the goalie and get in his way. When they get in the zone, he goes straight to the crease and doesn't leave unless the puck is cleared. That's doesn't completely fix the powerplay, but if they do that they will score more goals without needing to change much. It's a temporary fix while they're working on the larger issues.

Posted by: Stu_c | January 12, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Bench OV and Backstrom and Semin on the PP. Play Carlson, Alzner, MP, Beagle, MoJo, Bradley, Hendricks and maybe Laich on the rotation. The first line stinks and couldn't shoot a puck through an open barn door.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 12, 2011 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, you tell them Lloyd. Make sure you send your hockey resume to the next team looking for a coach.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 12, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Seriously with the "effectiveness" of our power play lately we'd be better off declining the penalty. Maybe save up 3 minors and trade them in on a penalty shot?

I think it's been said a time or two but move Ovi off the point and keep him at the half wall like they did at least some last night. Also Ovi CANNOT play 2 mins on every PP. And Backie kind of needs to sit a game. Not sure if he's nursing an injury or something but aside from winning faceoffs he's done very little for us lately.

Posted by: psujohn | January 12, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Try shooting the puck - that might help the PP?

Ovi had a nice pass, but IMO that was one of the worst games I've seen him play. He is fumbling all over the ice and looks like he doesn't know what the play is.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 12, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

While I can't say that I agree with LloydChristmas' assessment about shooting a puck through an open barn door, I do think that teams are more aware of how Green, Ovie, Semin operate on the PP.

I agree that we need to look at a PP personnel change to see if that will kickstart the system.

Put Carlson on the point. He has a nice shot and can get back on defense quickly. He also has the skill to look at everything and make the play except when he plays like "I have to give it to Ovie. I have to give it to Ovie." Park Fehr in front of the net and use Laich, Bradley, and MP on the perimeter. Repeat with Hannan, Knuble, Backstrom, Chimera, and Hendricks. We need to keep it a mix of skilled playmakers, grinders, and fast players.

Leave Ovie, Semin, and Green out of it. They are all great respectively, but I think when they all get out there, they just try to make highlight reel chances and not smart plays.

Posted by: sabredc | January 12, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

Yeah I guess you're right, we should just keep doing the same thing over and over, maybe it will eventually all work out.

My hockey resume isn't quite as bad as you might think.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 12, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

My hockey resume isn't quite as bad as you might think.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 12, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

BB is absolutely right. Caps blew last night's game with a sloppy, pathetic, lazy power-play with the score tied 3-3 and FLA ready to go down. In this case they never even got set up in the offensive but even when they do they usually are far too predicatable, fail to create traffic/chaos in front of the net, and hesitate when getting passes--giving goalies time to set up and D-men time to block shooting lanes--instead of taking one-timers to get the puck to the net, where there should be good chances from deflections, screens, and rebounds. If the PP doesn't get fixed--like the PK (at least one man down) generally has since last year--there's no way this team can win in the playoffs. (And Nicky definitely needs to work on his offensive-zone face-offs, which he reliably loses during PPs; OV is still waiting for that patented one-timer off the draw, which he gets to take now oh, about once every 15 games...)

Posted by: jhershb | January 12, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I like OV and Backstrom, I'm just saying that sometimes a message needs to be sent. I didn't say it was a permanent move, just something to give the guys who are actually scoring a chance at a 5 on 4. I bet our PP record would be better to say the least.

And the barn door reference was something called sarcasm, which is obviously lost in translation on this forum, but thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 12, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

First off we need some of the alphabet agencies in the US Govt to open an investigation on "Whiffgate." Specifically, every time Ovi goes to pass or shoot, he whiffs. I've never seen anything like it. In golf they say, "Keep your head down." Can it be that simple? The skates? New stick? Lack of beard (Samson Principle).

On another subject, someone probably pointed out, but Hendricks last night made an awful decision to try and clear the puck with an indirect pass to himself to start a breakout. The play failed, FL blocked the attempted clear, and they scored. He could have easily cleared the puck directly but choose the risky play. He's played well this year but that one was costly.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 12, 2011 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure most posters' hockey resume is as bad as I think.

Posted by: GFisher1 | January 12, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

FYI for those that might find this interesting.

Caps Asst. GM/director of player personnel Brian McLellan and scouting ops director Kris Wagner were at the Columbus/Phoenix game last night.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@aybee27
Great post, I think you're spot-on about the coach and his inability to get the most out of this team.

Last night's game reminded me of, well, many other games this year. No passion, no intensity, NO ATTITUDE. Once again, nobody operated outside of their comfort-zone to try to spark the team and stem the momentum against us. Hendricks had 8 hits? Really? I guess accidental bumps now pass as hits. Erskine? You missed a good opportunity to lead by example and demonstrate how taking a game in another direction can pay dividends.

And speaking of Erskine, his performance and effort seemed to be on par with his mates. (Unfortunately, he needs to exceed everyone by a wide margin if he expects to be in the lineup). My guess is the 10-day lay-off between games had an adverse affect on him. He seemed tentative early on, almost like he was skating on eggshells afraid to make a mistake.

I've called for BB to skate both #4 and DJK on the pp in spots, and I'm dead serious (I rarely say anything I'm not serious about, capscoach). I think everyone on the bench would take notice, it could breed positive team morale seeing guys elevated beyond their caste-system slots, and they couldn't do any worse than what we're seeing right now.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 12, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Think they might be scouting Eric Belanger???

Posted by: mjw4m | January 12, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

FYI for those that might find this interesting.

Posted by: ThePat

Umberger?

Posted by: underpants2 | January 12, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@mjw4m

funny but no obviously.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

I said that last night....terrible play by hendricks to try to spring himself out on a 2 on 1 rather than just clearing the zone. I like hedrix but that just cost us a division lead

Posted by: _stevo | January 12, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I actually get depressed when we get the man advantage these days.

Its like a feeling of impending disappointment.

Seeing our best players continuously struggle, when their skills are supposed to shine the most (the PP), is utterly deflating.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 12, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

that would be my guess. They have Chimera and Knuble here who he has played with. So they know what type of guy he really is. I have to imagine he is one of their targets. With two guys there it normally means they are scouting a specific guy. Typically at this time teams have a single guy at different arenas.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Ovie has always whiffed on pucks, and over skated...he just used to score more. He played fine last night, had a couple chances, set up a nice goal, and was a +1.

It amazes me how people only see the bad that kid does, but completely ignore all the horrible plays Backstrom has been doing as of late. Not only is he invisible offensively, but his D is slipping as well now. How is Ovie supposed to score when his center is barely playing.

If GMGM trades for a C, I bet he sees top line minutes with the GR8. I love Backstrom and am confident he will eventually pick up his game, but many of you can only see Ovie's flaws and give Backs a pass when it is just making it easier for teams to focus on Ovie when Backs doesn't perform. Ovie is getting no help.

Posted by: capscoach | January 12, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

What would Umberger cost?

Posted by: underpants2 | January 12, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Hi Caps Fans....

Just passing along some information about an event being held in Hershey next week to raise money for cancer research. The Hershey Bears players will be the hosts of the event which will include them serving appetizers and dinner as well as a live and silent auction and open bar. We will be auctioning off a bunch of Capitals items during the event so Caps fans may be interested in attending as well. The event is set for Tuesday, January 18th at What If of Hershey and specific information about the event is below.

The Capitals items that will be included in the auction (silent/live) are:
A Washington Capitals team signed jersey
A Washington Capitals team signed stick
Alex Ovechkin signed jersey
Mike Green signed jersey
John Carlson signed jersey
Mike Green signed puck
A Winter Classic Photo Signed by Backstrom & Ovechkin
Capitals Game Tickets & Hotel Room Combo Package

There will also be a lot of other items up for auction like a Bears Suite Package for 16 people to attend a game and watch warm-ups from the penalty box, Hershey Bears Team memorabilia, spa packages, golf packages etc.

Here is the summary of the event:
The Hershey Bears wives and girlfriends in partnership with local restaurant What If of Hershey are hosting a dinner and auction on Tuesday, January 18, 2011. Funds raised will benefit new research projects with the goal of finding treatments and cures for several forms of cancer at Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute.

Hershey Bears players will be on hand during the auction to meet guests, sign autographs, and take photographs. Dinner guests will have the pleasure of having their own Hershey Bears players as table hosts. Bring your tip money as they will be competing to serve you, all the while raising money for a worthy cause!

Tickets will be sold at the game Saturday, January 15th, 2011 or email whatifwefindacure@gmail.com for information about purchasing tickets directly. Tickets for the silent auction/cocktail hour are $50 each (just reduced from $75 each) and include attendance at the event from 4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m., appetizers served by Bears players and an open bar. Dinner tickets are $150 each and include attendance at the silent auction, appetizers, and open bar, as well as a live auction during a 5-course dinner that evening.

Only a limited amount of tickets were made available for this event so you will have a lot of personal interaction with current and ex-Bears players as well as great chances to win the great auction items!

Here is a link to the Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute website with information about the event that you could share:

**(Note tickets prices for the silent auction portion were reduced from $75 to $50 and the dinner is 5 courses not 3)

Posted by: hbbh2010 | January 12, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I like hedrix but that just cost us a division lead
----------------------------

No, he didn't. There was no guarantee that they were gonna win that game.

As long as the NHL gives a point to OT losers, you might as well take chances to score.

Posted by: joek443 | January 12, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

Not sure exactly. If I had to guess a prospect and a draft pick.

I think Columbus is getting ready to go into full on sell mode though. So if thats their target they need to do it fast before others know and get involved.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm with joek on the Hendricks thing. Did his move prove costly yeah. But its in OT on the road, you have to take chances. It just backfired. Oh well.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I've been touting Umberger (along with Clutterbuck) since July. I love the fact btw Umberger made those "spot on" comments and then to bring him in the dressing room would be great. Awkward at first, but he's what we need.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 12, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Fact of the matter is these guys shrink when they face adversity for about 10-15 minutes. They had the momentum in the beginning of the game and they failed to score. They then gave up the 5-3 goal and you could see the bench deflate. That is all on the coaches and leadership of the team, they can not let that happen.......Florida took it to them the rest of that period. They have got to learn how to handle diversity, if BB can only do that in the locker room between periods then they need to bring in a gritty vet that will give them hell on the bench while the period continues.

Posted by: PhilR | January 12, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Ovie is getting no help.
--------------------------

why do you assume he's the one needing help? doesn't he make $##$%#$M/year??

why can't he help out Backs by making himself open once in a while instead of being a puck-hog???

Posted by: joek443 | January 12, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The captain needs to take OV and the young guns to task for their poor play...oh guess not...never mind!!!

Posted by: wendel2 | January 12, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Any idea why CSN keeps broadcasting in low def...it sucks and I hate it.

Posted by: DBnMD | January 12, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Try shooting the puck - that might help the PP?

Posted by: lylewimbledon

I agree that Ovie looked bad for most of the game(as did basically everyone else not named Neuvy or MJ).

But Ovie did set up three glorious scoring chances. The goal by Knuble, the post by Knuble in the 1st period, and the sweet pass to Green in the 3rd that Green whiffed on and fell over(seriously, it seems like so many Caps whiff on pucks and fall over).

So he did set up plays that should have resulted in at least two goals. The funniest part about it, is that the goal Knuble scored was probably on the lowest percentage chance of the three.

Ovie's whiff in front of the net was brutal. I am starting to wonder if the team has new equipment or skates or something due to a contract(such as Ovie's endorsement with CCM) and that the players may not like them as much but have to wear and use them. This absolutely may not be true and is pure speculation, but it makes some sense.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------

isn't that what Messier used to do, physically threatening some of his teammates?

sure worked for him...

Posted by: joek443 | January 12, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

I agree Columbus will probably go to sell mode, but I think it will be only pending free agents and older players. I don't think they will trade Umberger and his reasonable salary for prospects or picks. Columbus isn't looking to completel rebuild, they have young players, they just need to get better and relatively soon as they are trying to keep their fan base.

Also, how good is Umberger. I know many people on here love him for his comments, which is fine. But just because he made one sly comment does not necessarily make him a great hockey player. I'm not saying he isn't good, but I'm just curious to see why so many people on here love him. Is it a case of him being that good or is it a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I would give Perreault, a #1 and another mid-prospect (like AGordon) for Umberger. Too much? That's what it might take, I dunno.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 12, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

We lost because of a stupid play by Green (blindly throwing the puck out into the middle) and then having to take a penalty to keep his mistake from turning into a goal. Stop blaming Hendricks -- at least he was trying to do something positive.

Posted by: hanks1 | January 12, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

sure take chances in overtime, but not when you are on a freakin penalty kill. Get the puck out of your zone is mission 1 on the PK

Posted by: _stevo | January 12, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

MP and a 1st would be enough for Umberger.

Posted by: underpants2 | January 12, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Maybe they were looking at Brassard but he has 3 years left after this year.

@tominsocal

I dont think you'd need to include Gordon. Just my opinion if a number 1 pick plus a prospect is the offer, they will take it and run. Just my opinion.

And who knows the Caps scouts could have just been stuck in Columbus en route to somewhere else and really had no interest in scouting anybody for this deadline. Just wanted to watch a game.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Understand about getting the puck out on the PK -- my point was that Green put us in that hole by his lazy pass and the penalty that followed.

Posted by: hanks1 | January 12, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ottawa will probably sell, which would mean Fisher would be available. He has a bit more upside than Umberger.

I guess the question is, next year is MaJo #2c and Eakin #3?

Posted by: underpants2 | January 12, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1
----
Tom, I think Perreault, a 2nd round pick and 2nd tier prospect might do it... or like underpants said, Perrault and a 1st... but if I was GMGM, I'd be keeping the 1st since they've been racking in the blue-chippers with their first lately...

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 12, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Though I though what Umberger said about the team last year was correct, I don't want to see him in red. Sure he could help out in the grit/leadership dept., but I'm sick of seeing the Caps covet and employ FLYER REJECTS.

Laich, Chimera, and Fehr could all be Umberger if they played with an edge. Look at our forwards last night: not a single one plays on the edge physically or emotionally. We're a collection of nice guys who play a gentlemanly game.

And seriously, would people really rather watch Willsie skate 6minutes on the 4th line instead of DJK banging bodies and putting a hurt on the other team's backline?

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 12, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

In addition to his "spot on" comments last year, Umberger has 14 goals in 26 career playoff games. That sounds perfect to me. I'd trade MP and a pick for him (esp with MJ90, Eakin and Kuznetsov in the pipeline down the middle).

Posted by: chombie13 | January 12, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------

well yeah, don't know whom Umberger is married to or if he's married but we all know whom Fisher is married to.

And DC is a lot closer to Nashville than Ottawa :)

Posted by: joek443 | January 12, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"Umberger has 1 year left and you can pretty much guarantee a guy who wants to win as badly as he does won't resign there. So they will deal him. The Caps could have been looking at someone else I dont know, the reason I say that is bc while he has played some C in his career like Brooks Laich has, he has been playing mostly wing recently for Columbus."

@ThePat

A trade could always happen, but I just don't see Columbus trading Umberger unless they got a boatload of NHL players back.

If he was a pending UFA, then maybe yes, but with a year left Columbus will try to make the playoffs next year and if that doesn't work they could always deal him.

Lastly, Umberger is from Pittsburgh which is not too far from Columbus. I don't think it is unreasonable to think he may sign there. Teams do improve and Columbus could be decent in a year or two.

Also, scouts do sometime take in games even though there is no impending deal or anything. Maybe they just wanted to get a look at Columbus and see what they have for potential deadline deals, but maybe some was advanced scouting of Phoenix too, who they play in a month. Who knows, scouts do just go to games sometimes to just get a view of other teams, not necessarily for a specific deal.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Fisher is going to be traded to LA if Dean Lombardi can get it done. He was at the Sens/Bruins game last night.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I want Umberger just for the Lulz factor more than anything. After "They Play the Wrong Way"-gate last year, it would be really funny to have him as our 2C.

Also, minus the lulz, I think he would make for a really good 2C for this team - Brings just what we need to the table at a position we are desperately in need of filling.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 12, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Please explain. Thanks.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 12, 2011 8:44 AM

it was supposed to be lighthearted.
if you take into account who is asking/making the comment - someone that is immature - then you shouldn't really be offended. then i threw in the protective headgear part - as in the questioner maybe should be wearing one.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 12, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

There is no way Columbus trades Umberger for MP and a 1st round pick. Columbus needs to win now, Umberger is young and has term remaining on his contract.

Unless Columbus is overwhelmed with an offer, IMO they will not deal Umberger this year.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@DBnMD

CSN+HD carries the Caps games in HD (last night the game was broadcast on CSN+ in HD) whenever there is a conflict with the Wiz. The issue is that DirectTV puts the game out on the CSN+ SD channel (643 in my zip code). Though I have made numerous inquiries via phone and e-mail to DirectTv asking why they do not deliver the HD broadcast, I cannot get an answer. CSN+HD shows up as an active channel at 643-1in my DTv guide, however I only get it in SD format.

Maybe someone on this thread knows why this is........

Posted by: prestoj | January 12, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Just curious:

You go from asking why people like Umberger and kind of questioning whether or not he is a good player earlier. To now saying they wont move him unless they get a boat load of NHL players back in return??

There are maybe 10 players in the league that would net you more than 2 NHL players in a trade. One reason being there just arent many elite players and the 2nd being you cant make that type of deal work in a salary cap world. So take a step back from your boat load statement.

Posted by: ThePat | January 12, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

By boat load, I mean if they only received picks and prospects it would take a boat load of those.

In terms of current NHL players, it could happen if you traded current NHL players, and a pick or prospect(depending on how good the NHL player was).

This is all under the assumption he is as good as everyone says he is on here. I asked a question and an answer, my evaluation only holds true if he is as good as others on here think he is.

He is a top 6 player on Columbus, 2nd in goals and points on the team. He is 28, is signed to a reasonable $3.75M(if he is as good as others say he is) and is NOT a pending UFA. It would make no sense for Columbus to trade him for picks or prospects unless they got a boat load of them.

Now, if you maybe decided to trade Brooks Laich and a pick or prospect for Umberger then maybe that could happen(although Laich is a pending UFA so that would not likely be Columbus' choice unless he signed an extension).

Posted by: sgm3 | January 12, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

------------

Hendricks absolutely has to get that puck out - but I agree the primary fault lies with MG, that was a terrible play at a crucial time in the game.

Speaking of O-T, I question the personnel moves: Ovie and Backs didn't touch the ice, and Carlson - arguably our best PK'er - had one shift. All that open ice, and three of the best guys on the team at exploiting were on the bench.

Normally I'm certainly not advocating for more ice time for Ovie, but that was egregious.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 12, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I sometimes question whether or not people here have ever played organized hockey. The play that Stillman made was a great play, 95% of the time, that puck is by him and the caps have a 2 on 1. he made a great play, and then the Caps recovered, Wideman took a shot that slightly deflected off of Hannan's stick...

The loss wasn't Green's fault, he made the right play, and Stillman made a better one to keep it in my diving to save the puck.

some of the doom and gloom here is just plain stoopid!

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 12, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Stillman's dive to keep the puck in the zone was even better than the dive to draw the penalty. To be honest his acting job to draw the penalty wasn't too good. The referee's arm didn't budge until Stillman hit the ice. Green did hook him, but it based on the referee's reaction he was going to let it go until Stillman hit the ice.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 12, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 12, 2011 12:54 PM

when i watched the replay - i thought maybe he had attended the crosby school of diving and embellishment

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 12, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

The PP is not working because of: Nicky Backstrom. This is a horrible year for Nicky. He has lost confidence, I think, and is getting deeper in the no-confidence hole. He is not creating or reacting well. We need Nicky back if we are to do anything on the PP. Or replace him.

Posted by: trfnews | January 12, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps:

"Once in awhile you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...... "

Very nice Grateful Dead reference there, sir.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 12, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

------------

Only since I was five, Frank! [On skates before I turned two]. So, yeah.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 12, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

No trade talk is complete without asking Who can we get for Semin?

Posted by: McLobo | January 12, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Why do you want to trade Semin still has more goals then anyone not the team It's time for a coaching change the plywrsare not responding to him They continue to play the same way dump chase battle in corner win it to the piont one shot and done. Caps hockey is getting boring and not very good to watch. BB time to go before it's to late

Posted by: fs02 | January 12, 2011 8:30 PM | Report abuse