Practice Update: Boudreau as 'Juice Boy'

Coach Bruce Boudreau is rather well-known for the games his teams play at the end of practice. Most of you are probably familiar with the "Juice Boy" game, where players try to shoot the puck in the top two corners of the net, which are blocked off by sticks. Well, Boudreau joined in the fun today and lost, so he got to carry the tray of Gatorade cups around to his players.

"This is an honor," David Steckel said as he received his refreshment.

"Bruce! I want water," Alex Ovechkin said as he entered the dressing room. "I want water."

"You're going to get Gatorade and you're going to like it," Boudreau said.

They were all good sports about it, but Boudreau assured us media folk that he'd never carry the juice tray again.

"We played the helmet game once [in Hershey]. The first time, I won. The second time I lost and I vowed to never do it again," Boudreau said. "Three years later, I play a game here, win, and I'm saying, 'Okay, I'll play it the second time.' Everybody seemed to be in a good mood today and I'll never play it again."

Injury Update
Neither Sergei Fedorov nor Donald Brashear skated today, but Boudreau wouldn't rule them out of Saturday's game against Carolina. Fedorov is still a tad under the weather but Brashear, Boudreau said, is walking much better than he was yesterday.

Brashear suffered a sprained knee when he fell after being dropped by Nashville's Wade Belak on Tuesday.

Powered Up
The Caps only had two power plays against the Flyers last night but made them count with one goal. Over the past 10 games, the team's clipped along at a 28.5 success rate (12-for-42) with the man advantage.

Washington has the second-best power play in the league, but perhaps even more impressive is if they continue scoring at this rate, this year's Caps will finish with the most successful power play in team history. The current record is 23.9 percent, set by the 1984-85 squad. I'll have more about the power play in tomorrow's paper.

Remember When?
Tarik mentioned in last night's post-game wrap up that this five-game winning streak on the road is the first since 2000-01 for the Capitals, when Ovechkin was just 16 years old.

By Katie Carrera  |  March 13, 2009; 1:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore Gets the Day Off
Next: Caps Look for Balance on Offense

Comments

My computer is way too slow to ever be FIRST.

Posted by: crazycarl16 | March 13, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Was it the 84-85 squad that led the league in both PP and PK?

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 13, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

When he was 16 years old? What is he now, 18? :)

Theo was a monster last night!

Posted by: Lets-Go-Caps | March 13, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Why do I get the feeling that Bruce lost "Juice Boy" on purpose??

Posted by: tess2201 | March 13, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty
shall be assessed.
Well, that concludes my point - another grey area rule. Opinions... or, I don't like this team!!!

Thanks kittypawz!

Posted by: _828 | March 13, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Saturday should be so loud...We got to welcome these guys back from a great two game road trip.

We dont have any home games for a long time after Saturday, so no need to save your voice.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 13, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Is sprained knee code for "I got whupped, my ego is hurt, so I'll fake an injury and pretend that my knee is what caused me to fold like a deck chair"?

I ain't buying it.

Posted by: gtydings | March 13, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

gtydings,
watch the video again. his knee buckled under him. you think he would shy away from playing the flyers cause he got tagged? on the contrary. my guess is he would have loved to have redeemed himself on cote or ashams head.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 13, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I dislike Brashear as a hockey player probably more than anyone else who posts here, but even I don't think he'd fake an injury.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | March 13, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a perfect practice after a terrific two-game road trip.

A special THANK YOU to the Caps for giving this Philly resident some major league bragging rights around his work and neighborhood today. And a special kudo to Jose Theodore for finally making a believer out of this skeptic -- and the D, too, which has REALLY improved the past two games (even Schultz).

One last thank you to the refs who did a fine job last night, especially on disallowing the 2nd Flyers goal and the interference call on Knuble -- where was THAT ref in the 7th game in the playoffs against the Flyers last year when Morrisonn was cross checked from behind in to Huet, resulting in a goal? Let's hope he's around the next Flyers-Caps playoff series, which is coming.

Great job, Tarik and Katie, keep up the great work. I really enjoy this blog -- better than any other newspaper I've seen.

Posted by: bucknelldad | March 13, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

One of Schultz's best plays all season was getting cross-checked by Knuble.

Posted by: donknutts | March 13, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread.
capsfan26:
it was a piece of cake to stick with the team through that - i made it from 74 through the early 80's. if those teams couldn't dissuade me - the rebuild years surely didn't stand a chance.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 13, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a great game last night. I am sure it has been said many times since last night's game ended, but what a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE win. The boys will again believe what us FANS believe. That the losing streak was an anomoly.

To make last night an even more perfect night for us Caps fans. Of course we beat the Flyers, the Pens only got 1 pt and lost to Columbus, Panthers lost, Hurricanes lost, the lowly Islanders stole a point from the Habs, it was almost...perfect.

Still just about playing playoff hockey. Last two things we need are even more traffic in front of the net, and goals from the likes of Steckel, Fehr, Flash, Gordon, Bradley, and our defenseman. The D-men are getting more shots toward the net, but we need them to bury more. After Green I think our leading scorer among defensemen is Morrison with like 3 goals. If you look at the blast that ended the Rangers game, and the blast he had against Pittsburgh in Feb, there is not reason he shouldn't be contributing more on the scoresheet.
I am of course happy because I am a fan, but the Caps went into Wachovia and kept a high home scoring team to 1 goal. Well done Caps, and thanks for a great evening.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 13, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ: that's impressive - you've been watching the team since before I was born. ;) My family has had season tickets since the late 80s, when I was in elementary school, so we've seen our share of ups and downs, but I have tremendous respect for the folks who remained faithful to the team even in those awful 70s years, which had to be worse than anything I've experienced. I was actually away at school from 2003-06, so I was spared some of that more recent wretchedness. I heard the stories from my parents, though. Ugh... I guess it just makes us appreciate what we've got now even more, right?

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: The only thing that would have made last night in the NHL better was for Phoenix to whump NJ. Not going to happen, but hey, a girl can dream!

Did anyone else watch the Atlanta/Edmonton game last night? Man, mad props to Atlanta for that game. Those guys came together and worked their asses off, and won in overtime after Kovalchuk went out with an upper body injury in the first frame. They deserved to win that.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 13, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The only thing is, I think Bruce has the right of it. I'll be satisfied that we're out of the funk if we can take out Carolina and Atlanta at home. Road issues seem to be settled - now let's settle out the home issues and life will be good.

However, Monday/Tuesday is a back-to-back. Do we start Neuvirth in one of those? I'd say Monday vs. Atlanta as opposed to Tuesday vs. Florida.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 13, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

capsfan26:
there were no great expectations from the team of the 70's - you pretty much liked them or you didn't. there were NO bandwagon fans for those teams. bandwagoners didn't really start for the caps until they acquired rod langway from mon. they started to play defense (much like NJ and Min do now) which lead to some winning seasons. since that point there have been ups and downs and i do appreciate the product they are putting on the ice, even with need for improvement at the blueline. i'd love to see them get the cup this year - but understand that the 'rebuild' may not be complete yet. i do have expectations that we will get beyond the first round. that should be the natural progress (and our reward) for a rebuilding team. a series win against pit or phi would be icing on the cake.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 13, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I recall the bad old days for the Caps. I started following the team in 1975, after graduating from college that year. (Yes, I missed out on their worst year.) We went to games a lot during the late 70's and early 80's. I recall the Langway days and the days of Mike Gartner and Bobby Carpenter, not to mention Larry Murphy. In 1984-1985, they had gotten off to a terrific start but couldn't do much after late Feb and were bounced in the first round of the playoffs. Late Feb 1985 was when my first child was born. I'll admit we didn't go to as many games since we were so busy with kids' activities. I recall when they made the Stanley Cup and were swept. And after that, the Limousine Incident. I wonder if that was why the Caps didn't match the offer to Scott Stevens.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 13, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

i can appreciate everybody that states their loyalty.i have been a fan since the first puck was played at the capital centre.but how many of you would have stood outside the cap centre and watched the entire game.well i did when dale beat philly in the playoffs.we went in and purchased tickets to tne next home game.then we took numerous busses back to arlington.i hope we all appreciate what we now have.you people have no right to boo this team at home when most of toy do not know the history.do not show up just because they are winning!save that for redskins.that owner and team is the one that does not deserve respect!LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: RCummins1 | March 13, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

the infamous "limosine incident" occurred over 8 years before the caps went to the stanley cup finals

Posted by: fatdime | March 13, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse