Practice Update From Kettler

Mark Giannotto filling in for Tarik El Bashir at Kettler Capitals Iceplex ... No official word from the Capitals at this point on potential roster cut downs following Sunday's preseason finale against the Rangers.

Here at practice, forwards Keith Aucoin, Alexandre Giroux, and Brandon Sugden and defenseman Karl Alzner are not on the ice this morning. Goaltender Michal Neuvirth, who has an undisclosed injury, is also missing. Chris Bourque, Quintin Laing and Tyler Sloan, however, are still here and donning practice jerseys.

Stay tuned as more develops today.

By Mark Giannotto  |  September 28, 2009; 10:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Links: Bourque, Laing Make Final Statements
Next: Making the Cuts

Comments

Times already reporting that forwards Keith Aucoin, Alexandre Giroux, and Brandon Sugden and defenseman Karl Alzner have been cut. Keith and Alexandre have to clear waivers... Now it begins...

Posted by: Berndaddy | September 28, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Brought from previous thread: know why he's a career minor leager and it's not his skill, it's his size. As a center he has big defensive end responsibilities and the fear is that he can be moved off the puck, which is a legit concern. If he would have been able to find a way to move his game to the wing he'd probably have a better shot at staying in the NHL. He has never been a liability in the Caps line-up preseason or regular season. He has 21 pts in 65 NHL games, that's not too shabby. More importantly he had 6 points in 12 games with the Caps last season and looked good doing it.

He's gone because of his size and the amount of proven centers in the lineup already.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

My previous entry is disussing Aucoin.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Yes, though consistent with other reports this seems a bit behind.

Following up from the last thread, all the discussion was about Aucoin. Surprised no one is making noise about the Alzner cut, though I'm not surprised in the least that he was. Karl's got to work on his game, and he's costly.

I hope they sign Sugden; I think we might see him a few times this season if they do.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

1) The 'Other Shoe' will be what they do with Nylander! BB hinted that this may come to a head by tomorrow. Geez, at this point if they get ANYTHING back from him it would be a plus
2) As for the other cuts, they make sense based upon the preseason. Alzner/Aucoin will certainly be one of the first call ups when the inevitable injuries occur.
3) Nice story line that Bourque makes the team and starts the season in Boston. Wonder if his dad might be in attendance. ; )

Posted by: fauxrumors | September 28, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Bourque, Laing and Sloan it is.

FYI, no one is taking Aucoin off waivers. Giroux does have the possibility of some GM being a Richard.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Well, if this is the case CONGRATS to Bourque. He has to continue to work hard to remain with the squad when Flash and Fehr return but he did this on his own. His name didn't get him on the opening day roster, his hard work did.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 11:02 AM |

I thought he already had a two-way. Or is he signed to just Hershey?

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@Berndaddy

Link please? I don't see where they reported that.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 28, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@Berndaddy

Never mind I found it :-)

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 28, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm thrilled to see Laing on the roster, if that is true. He's one of those players who just goes out and does the "dirty jobs" that need to be done, not to mention he's a shot-blocking machine.

Posted by: EricCarr | September 28, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

why do we need anything in return for nyls? He is not playing for BB. He was a free agent, so nothing lost in his leaving but Uncle Ted's trust fund. I always liked the guy, but if he is going to ride the pine-> set him free and free up cap space for mid-season deals or resigning Backstrom and Semin.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | September 28, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I do hope nobody picks up Aucoin or Giroux off waivers... Both are too important to the Bears - honestly! - for us to lose either one to another squad. I'm looking at the Caps organization as a whole, and not just thinking of the big team. Giroux and Aucoin were instrumental in the Bears' win of the Calder Cup last season, and Giroux was a record-setter. Some general manager somewhere needing someone who can score goals might pick him up, but I sure hope not!

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

My Laing jersey is relevant again, yay!

Posted by: thiazzi | September 28, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I thought [Sugden] already had a two-way. Or is he signed to just Hershey?

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@R-Phil:

You may be right. I was going on information provided by someone else in the last thread that Sugden was not signed. I probably shouldn't post without knowing for sure -- that's how bad info gets spread.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

great news about laing....................

Posted by: wendel2 | September 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Apparently Sugden has a Bears contract, according to his official website,

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

According to nhlnumbers.com http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=WAS&season=0910
Nylander is signed through next season, although his salary is decreased to 3 million.

Not sure why everyone keeps thinking he's a FA at the end of this yea.

Posted by: fedsfan91 | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Go Q! I hope Laing makes the team. He SO deserves it. He was a beast during preseason, and he was barely cut last year, which was so heartbreaking for all of us, with that one-game callup and a season-ending injury. :-( *fingers crossed for Lainger!*

@fanohock1 - Your argument about Aucoin (5'9) holds very little water, if Chris Bourque (5'7) makes the team...

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@fedsfan91 - It isn't that he's a free agent. It's that his NMC expires at the end of this season. Then, we can do with him what we will. It's not the free agency part that is holding us back, but the no-movement clause in his contract.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Sugden has a contract with the Bears, not the Caps. http://www.hersheybears.com/detail.php?id=2933

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Not sure why everyone keeps thinking [Nyls is] a FA at the end of this yea.

Posted by: fedsfan91 | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Not sure folks do. I think the key is that his no movement clause ends after this season, so he can be traded or cut at that point.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

IRTR: Aucoin is a center, I stated he would have more of a chance to make an NHL squad at wing. Centers have too much defensive responsibility. BTW Aucoin 5'9"? Someone fudged the stat book.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@fedsfan91: No one claims Nylander is a FA at the end of this season. His NMC expires so he can be moved without approving.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

RE; Sugden

Ah. I am sure he will be getting a two-way very soon then. At least I hope so.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil,

he won't be. That would put the Caps at the dreaded 50 contract limit I believe. I could be wrong, but my understanding is they are at 49. So I don't see it happening.

Posted by: ThePat | September 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The big club needs a guy like Laing, also happy for Bourque (who earned the spot). Disappointed about Alzner, but ability to avoid waivers and salary cap hit were probably determinative factors. I'll be very surprised if there isn't a trade of one of the d-men at some point to make room for Alzner, especially once Nylander is gone.

Posted by: zmega | September 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't think nyls will be a FA. Said he WAS a Fa so he did not cost the caps a draft pick or prospects - just cash. No sense using a contract for someone that will not sniff the ice at verizon. I don't know what the options are for waivers etc., but the salary cap room would be nice, even if nothing else is gained from his departure.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | September 28, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@cadlecreek

That's right -- Anything to get him off the books. We cannot send him down this year given the NMC, so waivers will not come into it. As I understand it if he goes to Europe his salary will not count against the cap even though we might be paying it. So even though it will cost Ted millions, we can be very happy if he goes overseas.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone needing tickets for home games can go to the ticketexchange. Looks like a good chunk of new season ticket holders are folks looking for a profit rather than actually being fans. There were never as many tickets available for games last year as there are right now for the first few games. It's a shame that more real fans couldn't have scored season tickets before "business men" sucked them up. With them being a hot ticket in town it probably looked like a way to make some easy cash if someone had a little to invest.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1-Agreed!

Posted by: Riddler1 | September 28, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok...very happy with the choices that were made, however a little concerned about those wavier clears that have to be made.

Posted by: RedRocker | September 28, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Let Nylander put the skates on so he can clean the ice around the goal durning commericals. Atleast get some worth out of him.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | September 28, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

And he can do all the circles he wants.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | September 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1:

You're absolutely right. TExchange is a creature of this "secondary ticket market" that Ticketmaster and others are using to make even bigger bucks. As a season ticket holder I have put my seats up, but only for the minimum allowed.

Bear in mind the minimum allowed for me is face value, or $90. When TM adds their charges that means my seats go up on the exchange for $103.50. When they sell TM takes another chunk of change.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

While I agree that it's a shame that there are people who are looking to make a profit (or excess profit- rather)- the real fans you speak of had years to purchase season tickets, and did not. I can only blame them for not getting in before eveyone else.

Posted by: Fro_ | September 28, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Fanohock-1, when season ticket holders sell their tickets through ticket exchange, ticketmaster sells the ticket at face value and you get 80% of that. Ticketmaster then adds another charge to the face value for selling the ticket through ticket exchange. If you want tickets below face value you have to talk to STHs to see if theywould sell you the ticket. If you can get the STH to sell you the ticket they can forward the ticket to you for free.

Posted by: estuart0 | September 28, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@fan:

some number of "business" men/women may be feeling the pinch of the economic downturn. they may WANT to go to games, but can't AFFORD to and find themselves looking for somebody to take some tickets off their hands. They keep a ST placeholder for themselves for when things get better economics-wise.

of course, I'm not talking about ME, but some other guy.....

Posted by: WhyGo | September 28, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 - Fair enough, though we are down by a center at the moment. There has been a lot of "Aucoin is too small" going around, though - not just from you - and for a guy who is "too small," he sure put up a couple of goals with the big boys during pre-season... and played like an absolute beast out there.

As for 5'9 vs. 5'6/5'7, having seen them standing side by side, Aucoin is taller than Bourque. The height stats seem to be fudged on a lot of players.

Re: Nylander - If I understand how this works correctly, even if we "loan" him to the KHL, he still has to clear waivers. Now, mind you, an aging player who had a bad year last year and is a big contract hit will probably clear them, but still. Waivers are definitely involved with moving him anywhere we move him; ergo, the NMC is still very much in effect.

We'll hear more tomorrow, I'm sure.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

As for ticket prices, those of us who couldn't ever afford season tickets now cannot even afford to go to a game. Can't fans from, say, the early 90s be grandfathered in under old ticket prices? :)

As for the cuts, seems like just buying time to me, because carrying 8 d-men and picking forwards while Flash and Fehr are out just means we'll have to scratch/drop somebody later.

Posted by: nicko | September 28, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, did GMGM send Tarik down too? :)

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | September 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

cash-for-old-fans? I'll call Ted right now and run it by him....

Posted by: WhyGo | September 28, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Couple of corrections on Ticketexchange. Season ticket holders get 90% of the sale (though there are certain charges), not 80%. Also, it costs a ticket holder $2 or $3 to forward tickets electronically, not free.

The sport is way too expensive, though. I'm a 10 year ST holder, and without sharing the seats or exchanging a couple each year(at minimum listing) I could not do it. Of course I give away a bunch of tickets too.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

This is the first season I had a job where I knew I would be home for games. I tried to buy a package a month ago. I e-mailed the sales staff asking some questions-still waiting for ANY response. I guess I won't be buying a plan this year.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | September 28, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

That's what I do as well, I share some with partners, sell some and give some away.

The TM site just makes it easy, but takes a bite on the way out and on the way in.

sort of like CAPitalism, eh?

Posted by: WhyGo | September 28, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@cadle:

just go to the TM site now and you can find tickets for a lot of games from STH's.

Posted by: WhyGo | September 28, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Fro hit the nail on the head... anybody that calls themselves a Caps fan, who was actually paying attention, would have seen this great team coming together at least by teh spring of 08, and known they had the makings of a great team for another decade...

there was plenty of time to get season tix, that spring, summer, last fall and into last winter... the Caps didn't sell out their season tix until late spring/summer '09, and were marketing the hell out of the fact that they only had 3000, 2000 etc left to sell-- any hockey fan would have been exposed to those numbers

Anyone who follows the Caps saw the opportunity before the businessman, and has no one to blame but themselves

Posted by: capsfan7 | September 28, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan7

Yup, The wife and I used to buy games here and there, then in 07 we went in on season tickets with some other people, then at the end of the 07-08 season we just knew we should buy our own. Im so glad we did.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 28, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I dont know about you guys, but the tickets are affordable.

You can sit up high and get a great view...Down low costs a ton, but so be it...

I have sat top row and loved it....

Im a season ticket holder, and have no problems sharing with friends, and they dont even mind paying a little more then what I pay to help offset my costs of committing for the full year...I meet them half way in most cases, and everyone is happy.

Posted by: SA-Town | September 28, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Craiglist is the way to go too for tix. I usually end up selling about 10-15 of my games on there, and always below face value. Works out well for both parties involved. Too much for me to go to so many games- esp during the week. With tix, drinks (before, during and after) food, etc., one can easily spend $100 per game. Not in my budget right now.

Posted by: Fro_ | September 28, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Please stop equating real fan to STH. Some of us can't afford a package or can't attend weekday games because of work. So what is the use in buying the tickets? I just buy the ones I want to see in person and I spend tons less. Being at the game doesn't make you more of a fan than me.

Posted by: mikesfan | September 28, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I took the focus away from the Caps themselves.

The fact that there are hundreds more tickets available for games this year on ticketexchange compared to last was an observation. Anyhow, I jumped on board exactly when capsfan7 identified the upward trend. I bought mine while the Caps were in their 2007-08 run at the end of the season, even before they qualified for the playoffs. Buying season tickets for the 2008-09 season guaranteed seats if the Caps made the playoffs in 2008. That Philly game 7 was a heartbreaker, it was like getting splattered like a bug on a windshield. At least we could see the bus coming last year in game 7. Anyhow, we were always able to buy tickets through bucks for pucks, and face value from season ticket holders, or by walking up to the window at the Caps center and MCI/Verizon. We saw that trend ending, and we were right.

Now I get to over 40 games a season for less than I used to pay to go to 20 by picking them up when I got a chance. I love being a season ticket holder and won't give them up unless I leave the DC area.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OvyNation8888 | September 28, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm testing selling on ticketsnow.com. I'm in the Baltimore area and simply can't go to 40+ games like I did last season. With ticketsnow, the tickets come off 4 days prior to the game, so I figure i'll just go to the games that don't sell.

Whether or not someone is a "real fan" does not determine if they can attend 41 home games + playoffs.

Posted by: Padow1 | September 28, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm lucky enough to work near the rink, so it's easy to get to a lot of games. As an STH I feel I've done quite enough for Ticketmaster: games I can't get to this season will be on the japers rink ticket exchange.

Posted by: redlineblue | September 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree with mikesfan. Even though I am a season ticket holder for the last couple of years, it doesn't make me a better fan than I was before I had season tickets. Just lucky enough to have the means and schedule at this point in my life. There are a lot of CRAZY Caps fans where I live that can only manage to go to a few games a year, and I hook them up on occasion. They don't miss a game on TV though, and fall in and out of a depressed state when they win or lose. So again mikesfan is right IMO you don't have to frequent Verizon to be a fan. I certainly hope I didn't imply that in any of my posts.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I am going to spend my awake moments of my maternity leave (starting somewhere in December) watching games. I may not have a brain during those times but I will constantly remind myself not to throw the baby when a goal is scored.

Posted by: mikesfan | September 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Mikesfan,

I definitely did not mean to equate real fan with STH... I know the bucks are a drag, and I watch many more games on the tube than I go to.

I was only saying that a real fan would have known the opportunity-- whether they could have pulled that trigger or not-- and would not bemoan someone else beating them to those tickets.

that said, I think Craigslist is definitely the way to go, just poke around for the fellow Caps fan who's only looking to recoup their expense-- they're on there. Then stay in touch with that person for future games...

Posted by: capsfan7 | September 28, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

From the report above about Forsberg, sounds to me like a trade maybe or could be in the works. Nyls back to the homeland for Forsberg. But if Nyls is in on this but he may have to pass through waives. All conjecture on my part. Maybe this is why his wife and kids are still at home. Have no idea how the money works out, but Forsberg will not be getting 4.5 million a year, so maybe some cap space can be freed up for someone at the deadline. ALL CONJECTURE on my part.

Posted by: RichC3 | September 28, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it will only be 77 1/2 hours until the Caps and Bruins face-off. Well there will be a delay at the start since it is the Bruins home opener so the puck will probably drop by 7:10pm at the latest. Looks like dinner a Caps game at the in-laws since I have directv and they have local cable with Versus.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I asked my husband if we could get ST and sell more than 50% of the home games - on purpose. Yes I was trying to make a buck on it but I would have just probably broken even and seen 20+ games for free. What is the harm in that? We didn't end up doing it.

Also, if you are still looking for STs I bet there are still a bunch on the 200 level.

Posted by: mikesfan | September 28, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock,

I know you weren't implying that. It's just that sometimes I hear people complaining about their "right" to have season tickets, but got screwed because they now have to wait on a list to get them. And I fire back that if they had got tickets a few years ago, they would not be in this situation.

It was a gamble back then to invest in season tickets- this I understand. And when I bought my tix towards the end of the 06-07 season, people asked why. Hell- I even asked myself why, but it was a risk I was willing to take and it paid off.

So I just don't really have all that much sympathy for those that COULD have had tickets, but chose not to because the team was re-building.

As far as not getting them because the budget won't (or didn't) allow it- completely understandable. But you will notice that generally- those aren't the people that are complaining. Good on them.

Posted by: Fro_ | September 28, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The Forsberg interest in the Caps story broke yesterday. I don't see it happening.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 28, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

At Caps Convention I saw Laing and Borque. Were Giroux, Alzner, or Aucoin there? Just wondering if maybe these moves had already been decided? Aucoin always seemed to bring a hustle and grit attitude that I haven't noticed as much in Borque. What do you guys think? Also, does anybody have any inside scoop on this Nylander situation? Where is the guy who cuts GMGM's hair?...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | September 28, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

On the Forsberg thing... I would think you would want to let that ship sail. I mean without Nyles we have 4 good centers why add an old injury prone center who would probably command a large amount of money?

Doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 28, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@dizzy.......only way I would do it....is for Forsberg to get league/veteran minimum. NO big salary, as others have stated, older, injury prone and frankly living on past reputation. If signed he will have to play wing also, but like in baseball you can almost never have to much strength up the middle if needed there. Only reason I said about trade it that it moves Nyls and maybe free up cap space. Then it would make some sense.

Posted by: RichC3 | September 28, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Is this for real? Forsberg to Caps? WOW

Posted by: OvyNation8888 | September 28, 2009 1:16 PM |

I would not mind seeing Foppa in a Caps jersey, but he better enjoy making league minimum.

I don't think a team like us could afford him, honestly.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Found this very interesting...so much for the southleast division...

4 teams in the top 15 preseason rankings: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/powerranking

Posted by: ThePat | September 28, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichC3 | September 28, 2009 1:57 PM |

Exactly. But I would want Foppa to play center, and move some one else to wing.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

For me it would depend on how in form he is. Sure its great to have an extra guy who can play center (we do btw in Laich), but is he still the same old Foppa? If not I would just stick with Stecks on line 3 and Gordo on line 4. their face off percentage alone makes them worth it.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 28, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I 2nd fanohock1's congrats on Bourque, but Chris need's no encouragement to work hard. He is all about hustle, which is why he's staying for now. He may get pushed around at times due to size, but he's hockey-smart and he'll never cost you a goal or a game due to lack of effort.

Posted by: DH32forHHOF | September 28, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

There is no way Forsberg will be in Caps red. There's no cap room for him. There's no cap room for Alzner, either. Which would you prefer to see first? Alzner, a young Defenseman, or Forsberg, an injury prone 40 yo centerman?

Posted by: Greg S. | September 28, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg was nasty, where the hell would we play him?

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

what happened to Katie Carerra and Lindsay Applebaum?

Posted by: Bagher | September 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

this makes no sense, what are we? The skins, look how much better drafting works. $$$$ doesn't work, this is utter speculation. But what if we 75% of old Forsberg.............

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

As far as the ESPN Power Rankings: I don't agree with Caps being behind Flyers. Emery???

Posted by: kcbrichmond | September 28, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Having seen Sloan's hit on Langkow in that game at Calgary, I've been pulling for him ever since. Admittedly- I don't too much about him. But from the limited time I have seen him, I think he can do very well here. No?

Awesome hit:

Posted by: Fro_ | September 28, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 28, 2009 2:06 PM |

Old Foppa or not, the guy knows how to play hockey. He's "come back" from hockey two times in the past, and put up ridiculous points both times. If not as a body, use him as a mentor to Backstrom. I mean really...Forsberg or Nylander as a mentor...easy decision.

But I stress league minimum. If he's injured again, he goes on LTIR and he becomes a body and veteran presence behind the scenes. If he remains healthy, then we have one of the best hockey players ever giving us depth.

@ greg S.

I'd take Foppa, 36 years or not. But you're right. We simply cannot afford him.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | September 28, 2009 2:14 PM |

Emery is a very good goaltender. He is just a head case. I'd honestly say Varlamov has a bigger question mark on him than Emery.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Awesome hit:

Posted by: Fro_ | September 28, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that was a great hit. But after that hit, Sloan pretty much disappeared. Did he get tentative about being jumped again like he did after that hit? I don't know. I just know that he didn't even come close to making a hit like that again. He became more passive and started taking odd angles to the puck carrier. And after going back to Hershey, he didn't play well there either. Hopefully he finds his game again this year.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

In order to pick up Forsberg, we HAVE to move Nylander.

'Nuff said.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

For those interested you can watch the Blackhawks vs Davos game on NHL.com via videostream.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Sloan was the one BB played last year in the playoffs when we only had 5 blue liners. Before Alzner, Schultz, and others.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Has Flash been in the weight room over the summer?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | September 28, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The Blackhawks game started at 2:15pm EST, about 10 mins ago.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

In order to pick up anyone, we HAVE to move Nylander.

'Nuff said.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 2:21 PM |

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

BTW Florida lost their game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Got some good juice from Corey!

1) Fehr is cleared for contact, but it'll probably be 2 weeks before he plays.

2) Laing, Bourque, and Sloan all made the team.

3) Neuvirth has until tomorrow to prove he's healthy, but it's probably Chocolatetown for the goalie.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

4) would be that if you think CI loads annoyingly with ads, try In the Room. That's one annoying site! It "requires" Internet Exploder 8, and I can't use that. :-p Yecch.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg. It's swedish for "hey GMGM, would you do me a big Favre?"

Posted by: redlineblue | September 28, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Tyler Sloan is a Boudreau favorite. He played him a lot when he was in Hershey and it was a foregone conclusion that Sloan would get a serious crack at the roster even though he's an older defenseman than most "prospects". I knew the second that Bruce became head coach that Tyler Sloan finally had his shot in the NHL. On most other teams, rightfully or wrongfully he would have been lost in the shuffle. I think he played pretty well for Hershey under Bruce. He is also versatile and he played on the 4th line as a wing.

I'm just saying that I wasn't very impressed with Sloan outside that first game v Calgary. Granted, he has more upside because of his size and skating. He's better than a Lepisto.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

In other news, did anyone watch Monster play? He made a couple of insane saves.

Wish I had time to watch this Davos/Hawks game in full...

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I dunno - I've been consistently impressed with how steady Tyler Sloan plays. You don't have a Jeckel/Hyde Sloan like some guys; Sloan is Sloan every night, and there is a lot to be said for that. He's been beastly pretty much every game he played this pre-season, and I'm glad he's in.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

roster sizing up to look like:

Ovy-Backs-Knuble
Semin-Mo-Laich
Brads-Steckel-Clark
Bourque-Gordon-Laing

I'm guessing that once again, that 2nd line will be in flux all year. Any line with Semin will be in flux. And now with the addition of Morrison, we'll see if he can stay healthy all year.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I dunno - I've been pretty impressed with how steadily Tyler Sloan plays. He's not a Jeckyl/Hyde player like some guys are; Sloan is Sloan every night on the ice. I watched him a lot up in Hershey last year, and thought he was very good there, and he played very well in pre-season with the Caps, too. I'm glad he's in the lineup.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I haven't had a chance to watch him much this preseason, I'm going by last year. So if he's more consistent this preseason then excellent. Nothing wrong with having a mobile 6ft3 220 pounder in the lineup every night.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Probably the top two lines are variable; they have been game to game, and even within a game, the entire time Boudreau has been coaching. I don't consider this a disadvantage. Being able to shuffle the top two lines around at-will to confuse the other team, and to add or subtract talent as needed is a good thing.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow - Mark Giannotto drives all the way out there and comes up with one paragraph?

Posted by: nativedc | September 28, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Philly waived Randy Jones anyway. Almost looks like a step in the right direction for picking up a Foppa like player. I'd figure he'd stick with the Avs or Flyers anyway, and the Avs aren't going anywhere so...

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I was up in Hershey a lot last season, as well as watching Sloan whenever he played here, and I was pretty impressed across the board. True, he had some rough games with the Caps, but if a few rough games is grounds for not keeping someone, everyone on the roster would be gone. ;-) He was very steady in Hershey, and he was solid and steady throughout preseason. He didn't make any huge mistakes that I remember, and he played his position very solidly. I think he'll make a great addition to the lineup.

Posted by: irockthered | September 28, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I would move Clarkie up and Laich down to the 3rd not because of anything bad, just because Brads-Steckel-Laich is such an awesome line.

I am sure Laich and Clark are interchangeable but this is just how I would run it.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 28, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm a bit surprised by Bourque making the team. Good luck to him. I thought Laing would make it b/c of the commments Boudreau makes in the press about him, but wasn't as certain about Sloan.

I think that's a huge blow to Alzner to not make this defense, considering how it would not take too much to take over from an existing player (namely Schultz). Again, on another team, we probably have Alzner up with the big club, but the politics play themselves out everywhere.

Posted by: Jaymagz | September 28, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jaymagz | September 28, 2009 2:48 PM |

Well..not really politics. It was just for cap issues. Alzner makes much more money than Sloan does, with bonuses and such.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

the reality is that the Caps backline first and foremost is missing a physical presence.

Sloan is a stay at home defenseman who doesn't make many mistakes and that for a team as offense-minded as the Caps is huge.

Unfortunately for Alzner until the Caps trade or move Schultz, Morrison or Jurcina he isn't going to get a chance to play a full regular season.

And I say this is unfortunate because in the long-term the Capitals are better off with Alzner ON the ice and one of the other three dealt to another club.

Why George has not or will not trade any of the bluelines given that the team was 19th in GA last year is beyond me.

This is the ONE area of the team that needed to be upgraded in the offseason after the Knuble signing.

And nothing was done.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 28, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I can't speak for others who use the ticket exchange but we have a fourth-grader and only go during the week if it is an important game and he has been on top of his responsibilities especially homework. If we can't sell them at the office then we've used the ticket exchange. It has been handy. But we've only asked for face value--don't think we've been raking in the big bucks. And we've never missed a weekend game. Sometimes we've gotten a sitter so we can go but he takes it very poorly!!!!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | September 28, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse