Punishing Practice For Caps (Update)

As you might have expected, Coach Bruce Boudreau is putting his players through a tough practice this morning after their weak effort in a 5-0 loss in Buffalo.

Today was supposed to be a day off. It's anything but.

After about 10 minutes or so of modified suicides, Boudreau's got them going drills now. He's also shuffled his lineup to account for the absence of Shaone Morrisonn, who suffered an undisclosed injury in the second period.

The biggest change involves Sergei Fedorov and Mike Green, who are now a defensive pair.

Here's the new lineup (but keep in mind it's likely going to change again after the arrival of Alex Ovechkin, who is expected back later today):

Forwards
Laich-Nylander-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Backstrom-Semin
Fehr-Gordon-Clark
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

Defense
Fedorov-Green
Poti-Schultz
Erskine-Jurcina

Johnson and Theodore, or course, are manning the nets.

Update:

*Looks like Johnson is feeling better and will start in Ottawa.

*Also, Morrisonn is day-to-day, according to Boudreau. If he's able to play Tuesday, Fedorov will move back to forward. Morrisonn, by the way, is not as serious as the team first feared.

*Ovechkin is expected to be here today, Boudreau confirmed again, and should on the ice tomorrow morning at 10:30.

More in bit.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 2, 2008; 11:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Neuvirth Returning to U.S.
Next: Boudreau: 'This Isn't a Country Club'

Comments

Good!!!! Work them hard BB.

Posted by: mudmommy | November 2, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, how does Erskine look in the skate? You'd mentioned he was favoring the leg after the game.

Posted by: Section117 | November 2, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

does Johnson look like he's nursing an injury?

Posted by: Max23 | November 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Erskine is fully participating.

Posted by: el_bashir | November 2, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Is BB getting in anyone's face? I hope to see a post soon about Boudreau getting in Mike Green's grill and telling him to man up, and stop being such a p*ssy in his defensive zone. I've seen more intensity in a game of marbles at the retirement home.

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 2, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I would think this is really just about swapping the centers around and not much else.

It looks like maybe Boudreau is going for a shutdown line instead of a third scoring line. When Ovy comes back, I think we would see

Ovy Nyls Koz
Laich Back Semin
Flash Gordo Clark
Brash steck Brad

It puts a little more emphasis on "D" and like I said, a shut down line being that third line. Maybe they would keep Flash on the second line and put Laich on the third since Laich is more of a checking winger then Flash is.

It would also give Flash more ice time since he has played well.

If Morrison is good to go for Tuesday then everything I said is just a wash.

Am I looking into this too much? yes, but it's Sunday and I'm bored :)

Posted by: mshwedick | November 2, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

why no call ups with Feds on D?he has been great with Semin until yesterday....why not just bring alzner up?or lepisto?

Posted by: Jgray85 | November 2, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@Jgray85
You don't want to pair Lepisto with Green...they're both the same type of guy who likes to jump up on offense and sometimes ignor the blue line. And Alzner is a) not doing all that great in Hershey and b) too expensive for the salary cap right now. If you want a Hershey guy it'll probably be Sloan again.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 2, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Mike needs a little mentoring from Feds.

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 2, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

good line switches now we have only 1 brutal player per line

Posted by: wendel2 | November 2, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Well. That sucked. I can't believe I wasted a plane ticket on that game. We better be ready for the next game. Flash really needs a goal soon. It seemed like he was the only one trying out there.

At least I can enjoy my Tim Hortons coffee and doughnuts.

*Super*

Posted by: SZALACH7 | November 2, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

This is my take on the game/season so far.I figured the Buffalo game was going to be a hard game for us. Buffalos comming off of two bad,embarrasing games, would be totally focused,us being without OV again, and a place we have always traditionally had very little luck. That being said, I didnt feel like it would be a total stinker. The first goal was brutal,giving a team that kind of quality shot that early.Then they score on basically a 5-3. Third goal was the killer,give away in the last minute of a period.

I don't see the domination of forechecking we had last season. I don't see the all out effort like I have seen comming out of the Maple Leaf games, those guys are playing like it is do or die and driving to the net and creating havoc.

Good news, its early, better to be off our game early,rather than late.

I think we started doing good things last year, when we went to Ottawa, and started playing CAPS hockey. Maybe we can do the same again this year.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 2, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau skated everybody real hard at the end of practice, too.

Posted by: _jordan | November 2, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Is it possible to call GMGM and ask if this is true?

Posted by: CodePoetry | November 2, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I like Feds with Green, i think it will help Green's defensive game (which sadly needs A LOT of help). I think even if Mo can return they should stay together, sit Mo he's been terrible anyway.

Posted by: finnmeg | November 2, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: finnmeg | November 2, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

CodePoetry,

Thanks for that link. If that's true, it's possible Ovie might miss another game. Even if he doesn't, I would expect him to be out of sorts for a while. It's tough to put that grieving process aside and concentrate on work sometimes. Our condolences are with him for his personal loss. Unfortunately, the team and fans need him to come back and spark the Caps to get on track. Let's face it, this is not the type of beginning we were all expecting after the run to the playoffs last season. This will be a trying time for the young man, but, he'll prove to himself (and others too) what he's made of.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | November 2, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I think this is great line up (assuming the Ovy back in and laic back on 3rd.

I think that combo did well last year at beginning (but nobody else was producing)

I like Backs with Semn, Nyls with Ovy and Feds on D.

And 3rd line that is checking but can score a few also perhaps.

Book it!

Posted by: CapsRockTheRed | November 2, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

The lines need to be as follows

ov-feds-semin
laich-nyls-flash
fehr-backs-kozzie
brash-gordo-brads

d can figure itself out...

Posted by: vik191 | November 2, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse