Q&A With Alex Ovechkin

This is from Ovechkin's media session today in Montreal:

Q: With Sidney Crosby out, have you been told if you're in the starting lineup?
A: No. Nobody told me. It's going to be fun. It doesn't matter if I start or not. It's a sick time right now.

Q: What are your feelings about all-stars who don't show up for the game like Pavel Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom?
A: It's their decision. If it's a serious injury, of course I would stay home. I don't know about a little injury. I have only an injury or no injury.

Q: Who's going to win the Breakaway Challenge?
A: I'm go to try. Not[hing] special, just simple move. Nothing new. [He's cracking up]. Everybody. Kovalev, Kane, everybody.

Q: When Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas drew your name for the Elimination Shootout, he kind of grunted and said, 'Oh no'. What are your thoughts about facing Thomas?
A: I know a couple of things about Thomas. I'm probably going talk to him because I need a little help.

Ovechkin was making a reference to his not-so-spectacular 9 for 34 career shootout record in games that count.

Q: You've always had a special affinity for Montreal, so how special is it to get to play in the All-Star Game here?
A: There's lots of attention. Lots of media guys. Lots of fans. Lots of good times here. People recognize me on the plane. It's great.

Q: How much fun do the players have in the SuperSkills Challenge, with all the trash talking and such?
A: Everybody is freer. It's the skills competition. You can show whatever you want. You can show how good you are, how bad you are. One thing I know for sure is everybody is going to try. [All the players] five minutes ago were talking to each other in the room, asking 'What are you doing? What are you going to do?' Everybody is excited right now.

Q: How hard is it to come up with [a trick shot] that's never been done before?
A: It's hard to create something new because in Washington right now there are lots of fans watching you practice. And right away they go to the internet and write, 'Ovie makes some move.' I just think in my mind what I have to do. Last year, I didn't even practice my thing. It just happened so quick and it was pretty cool. We have one minute, so there will be lots of nice moves, nice shots."

Q: Are you more excited about the skills or about the game?
A: Right now I'm excited about the skills. Tomorrow after the skills, I'm going to be excited about the game.

Q: Are you going to use props? Like bounce the puck off a Zamboni?
A: No. [Laughing, shaking head] No.

Unfortunately, that's all the time I had for Ovechkin's session. I also had to interview players for my Sunday story.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 23, 2009; 5:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Look Who's Talking Now
Next: Update From Centre Bell

Comments

first.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 23, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

he's such a good sport! =) glad to have him on our team

Posted by: jogabonito | January 23, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Everything is perfect in Washington !

OV, Obama & the team. What a wonderful time.

Posted by: LarryDavid | January 23, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

can we keep politics out of the caps insider comments section? PLEASE?

Posted by: ralph4100 | January 23, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, if I could edit, it would have been done. Lighten up.

Posted by: LarryDavid | January 23, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

People don't recognize Ovi on planes in DC? Really? Maybe not as many, but... he's rather unmistakable.

Posted by: jec4p | January 23, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

He just seems to take joy in hockey,the ASG is just icing on the cake. We're so lucky to have him here in DC. Not to metion the other guys like Green,Nicky,Sergi,Brash. Just a fun team to watch.Most of the time. It can be maddening like the Ottawa 3rd period. Considering what it had been before BB got here,we're way ahead of the game. With room to improve,to boot.

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 23, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed that if BB comments that a particular thing or person is the problem, it gets straightened up in a damn hurry. I think the reason it didn't straighten up from earlier ni the season was that he fixed this problem with a different group of guys, and now he has to do it again now that we have our D corps back.

Coaching professional hockey must be like nailing Jello to a wall.

Yeesh, I'm glad for the All-Star break, but I will be glad to have hockey on Tuesday.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 23, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I for one would LOVE to see the Ovie & Obama handshake!!!

@ralph4100
Whats wrong with mentioning Obama? Being President transcends politics.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 23, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, POOH. The Hershey Bears fell to the Philadelphia Phantoms this evening, 4-3 in the shootout. Bummer. But at least they got one point out of the deal. :)

Bourque, Giroux and Sloan all scored for Hershey, and Neuvirth was in goal. Wish I could be there tomorrow night for Washington Capitals night... they're in special Caps jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game for charity. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | January 23, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Double pooh: CORRECTION. That would be the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, not the Phantoms. Jeez, IRTR!

Posted by: irockthered | January 23, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr - I'd rather keep all political stuff of any nature, President or not, elsewhere... it's still too hot an issue for some.

Now, if President Obama decides to show up for a Caps game, that's another matter entirely... (and a nightmare, security-wise, but that's another issue.)

Posted by: irockthered | January 23, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I would personally prefer to leave my politics out of my hockey. If President Obama shows up for a Caps game, then that is one thing, but discussing politics on a hockey blog is quite another.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 23, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Watching a taped "Meet the Players" segment from NHL Network, Ovi repeatedly switches his phrasing from "our team" to "my team". Just thought it was cool. The commentators were giving a lot of love to Washington and Coach.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 23, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's keep politics out. It's like having an ice skating performance in between periods. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 23, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Heck, we talk hypothetically all the time here. What if Obama showed up for a game here? We are not talking about the War in Iraq or drilling offshore for oil. We are talkin about YOUR President (If you are a US citizen etc. that is), in a COMPLETELY generic sense. Whats the big deal?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 23, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

The mere mention of Obama's name seemed to produce an interesting response, to what do we attribute this? Seems Gary Bettman would receive a better response, yet in matters of hockey, I believe Obama to be innocent.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 23, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

omg...I have entered the Twilight Zone. I have NEVER had three consecutive posts in this blog...I will resume AFTER the all-star break, everyone must have gone to bed early.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 24, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Ohhh how I love Ovy's ASG interviews.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | January 24, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | January 24, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr

Apparently I have entered your twilight zone. :(

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | January 24, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

I think Ovie's new favorite word is "sick". He has been using it a lot lately. I don't think he can go one interview without using it somewhere.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | January 24, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Gary Green was interviewing Ovi at the allstar game and he was asking Ovi about remaining part of the season. Before Ovi could asnwer all I could think of Ovi saying is responce would be:

I don't know if any one is as exciting about the strech run as me, the schedule the last 21 games is very favorable.......damn Windjammer has me brain washed.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 24, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

@Capsfannmiss - Hahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: irockthered | January 24, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

@fusilli: I think 'sick' is a Caps-wide affliction. After one of his recent goals, 52 unmistakably hailed the passer as '[frickin] sick!' Locker's used it in a broadcast or two, if only bcs he can't pronounce "Datsyukian"...

Posted by: redlineblue | January 24, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Great article this morning about the Caps in the post by Barry Srvluga. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | January 24, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else worried about all the media love? I don't want the guys getting too full of themselves. The fact is that the Caps still have bugs in their game to work out (see: PK) and I don't want us getting too comfortable or thinking we're all that.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

57 million people preferred someone besides BHO for President. To assume that your comment would be acceptable is assuming way too much, IMHO. Let it go for a year or so and maybe the loyal opposition will cool off, but for right now, I approve of keeping politics OFF this blog.

Posted by: WhyGo | January 24, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Someone needs to teach Alex to stop using "sick" as an adjective. Or at least teach him when it's appropriate to use it.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | January 24, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Bears lost to Wilkes-Barre last night 4-3 in a shootout. BB was at the game watching.
Update:

Posted by: tess2201 | January 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

@WhyGo

"Assuming way to much"? Mentioning the name, with no political points or reference, just the name of the US president in a blog on www.washingtonpost.com not acceptable? Hmmm...

LarryDavid was expressing his opinion (as we all do here for better or worse) and dropped the presidents name. I suspect that it was not his intention to begin a political discussion (and its not mine BTW) and he should be allowed to do so without having to deal with these comments. Whether you or I or ANYONE likes it or not he is president, not changin no time soon, the name is hot, bound to be whimsically dropped, like it or lump it.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 24, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

WhyGo,

OK, you got it, "mission accomplished!" No more politics. If anybody else mentions anything, just tell them to "bring it on!" and go "nucular" on their a$$. And now, "let's roll" to the All Star break. :)

My favorite part of this break is always the skills competition. I'm not a big fan of All Star games in any sport. I usually find them boring. However, the best part of this one is that Cindy won't be playing. Otherwise, that's all we'd hear all game long -- "Crosby is skating. Crosby is passing. Crosby is shooting. Crosby is playing goalie. Crosby is playing offense and defense for both teams! Crosby has unbelievable moves sitting on the bench and jumping over the boards!" It's sickening. I know we'll still hear his name a ton even though he's not playing. The announcers get paid a stipend every time they mention his name. :)

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | January 24, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I think all presidential comments should be limited to Millard Fillmore and William henry Harrison.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

George Bush Rocks!

There, I said it.

Get over it.

Posted by: WhyGo | January 24, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Mauree,

"2) All teams in the conference that wins will then be able to change one game of their choice (across conferences) from "on the road" to "at home" the following season"

The problem with that is that all of the Eastern teams that have to play San Jose or Detroit on the road would flip those games to home leaving a schedule for the Sharks and Detroit heavily unbalanced with more road games.

If you want the game to have meaning, make the winning Conf the home team for the Cup Finals giving them an extra home game ala MLB.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 24, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@WhyGo

Real BUSH-league...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 24, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Chicago Blackhawks All-Star Patrick Kane, one of many young players who are shaping the 21st-century NHL, said the league can spotlight others this weekend.

"He's probably the face of the NHL right now, so he's obviously missed in the game," Kane said of Crosby. "But at the same time it's good for other players to step up and show their face and show what the NHL is all about, try to get more fans interested in the game and more fans interested in different players."

Posted by: tess2201 | January 24, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@ Leeguru

Let us not forget everyone's favorite, Calvin Coolidge!

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | January 24, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Lee,

Kind of hard to come up with any comments for those two. Can we add Nixon to the list?

Posted by: Steve_R | January 24, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I was trying to stay away from presidents who served during a time period that someone on this blog may be alive for. Coolige and nixon would fall within that time. Let's try and cut it off at Taft

Posted by: Leeguru | January 24, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Is it too soon to start talking about the "Frozen Four"?

I am so stoked. I entered a drawing for STH's (who paid up early) and won 2 seats to all three games.

Going to the playoffs for the Caps, maybe 2nd or even final round AND the Frozen Four.

Died and gone to Heaven.

Posted by: WhyGo | January 24, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@leegooroo:

or my favorite "alex" hamilton.

"draw, sucku! talk about my gal like that again and I'll shoot you some more!"

Posted by: WhyGo | January 24, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to go ahead and say I'm extremely doubtful this particular blog has a reader from the Coolidge era.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | January 24, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I gained an appreciation for John Adams after that HBO series.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 24, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Any one see this on TSN site.

From Dregers column
"Let's look back at last year's game, when the Washington Capitals approached NHL Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell and asked that the league not invite Mike Green. If he was to be included, Green wasn't going to the game. Afterwards, the league was criticized for not inviting him.""

Did we know the Caps asked that Mike Green not go to last years ASG????

Posted by: billd2 | January 24, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The John adams miniseries was outstanding. The book is better.

Read Alexander hamilton's biography. He would have made a great president if he had made it that far.

Don't think that there are no Coolige kids blogging. you just never know.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 24, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I was at a Caps game that Bill Clinton came to. I think I was in a 400 section.
The rafters were crawling with secret service agents with binocs and a rifle or two. That was pre 9 11, don't know if the secret service would advise an announced visit now.

Posted by: billd2 | January 24, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Coolidge, believe it or not, HUGE Caps fan.

I can't wait for the break to be over so we can all get back to talking about the games.

Posted by: goskins1982 | January 24, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

just as today:

Alex will shoot and John will talk.

Posted by: WhyGo | January 24, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_R

not if there's a pick order (that could be the same as the draft's), one change per team... but it might get too complicated.

Your idea is not bad, players from the strongest teams could play with an extra effort if they know they have a shot at the SC.

Some sort of tangible reward could spice up the ASG a lot - something much needed imo.

Posted by: mauree | January 24, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Just as a way of explanation, since there's been some controversy over the subject on this thread: I'm not averse to politics -- I work in politics, but not everybody is gushing over Obama. Everybody should be cheering on Ovi, though!

Posted by: ralph4100 | January 24, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

did you really base someone's potential run as being president on his biography?

Posted by: richmondphil | January 24, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I am starting to not enjoy this blog as much as many bloggers want to discuss politics or who has the best pizza. Why not stick to discussing everything to do with Cap players and the Team. Enough of Obama and who has the best pizza!

Posted by: jgreif | January 25, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse