Q&A With Cristobal Huet

Wearing a red and blue Capitals warmup jacket and hat, Cristobal Huet was the first of the team's new players to stand before the cameras, microphones and recorders today at Kettler.

The first question?

"So, is it 'Yoo-ay' or 'Hew-et'?"

Huet smiled and said, "'Yoo-ay' is fine. That's easier for you, no?"

That got a pretty good laugh from the assembled media. But I'm still not convinced that it's the proper pronunciation. Anyway, here's the rest of what Huet had to say:

Q: Were you surprised to learn of the trade?
A: "I played almost 40 games for the Canadiens and we were in a good situation. So I expected to finish there. But obviously they had other plans."

"It's a surprising thing. It's something you have to deal with; this is the NHL and it happens. But I'm happy to be here and I want to help the team in any way I can to get into the playoffs."

Q: Have you spoken with Olie and Brent?
A: "I talked to both [goalies] this morning and they look like great guys. I'm sure we going to work, all three of us, to get the job done."

Q: Do you expect to start on Friday?
A: "I haven't talked to Bruce about it and I'm still waiting for my gear to get here."

Q: Before you came here, what were your thoughts about the Capitals?
A: "When we played them, it was always a hard game. Since they changed the coach, I think they were way better and had a lot of intensity and are a high scoring team. So they were always a dangerous team to face."

Q: Because Olie has been the face of the franchise, what were your thoughts when you found out that you were coming here?
A: "I respect Olie a lot. He's been here a long time and he's done well for the franchise. We're just going to work it out and I'm just going to try to be my best when I'm asked to play."

"It's going to be an exciting couple of months."

Huet said he would probably stick with his pads from Montreal, since they are already red, white and blue. But he's got a new mask on the way. It's getting airbrushed right now and will feature an eagle on it.

I've also got some interesting stuff an interview with Gary Bettman. But I'm probably not going to get around to that until tomorrow.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 27, 2008; 6:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Q&A With Sergei Fedorov
Next: Three's a Crowd; Huet Gets Nod vs. Devils

Comments

If all three goalies go into this with a mindset of mutual respect for one another, there is no doubt in my mind that this "Controversy" will work itself out.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 27, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

"'Yoo-ay' is fine. That's easier for you, no?" hahahahaha so far i'm likin' this guy. I'll be very interested to see how this goaltending thing works out with our crease being crowded by three quality goalies. I just really hope BJ gets at least a couple starts he has really bailed us out this season, and now it's looking like he'll be watching most the games from the press box from here on out.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 27, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Can you say Don Beaupre, Mike Liut, and Jim Hrivnak?

Posted by: Mark | February 27, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting ... actually, the next few weeks should be very interesting! :-)

Tarik:
FYI - you have "read" instead of "red" a couple of times. Nonetheless, thanks for ALL of the great coverage - you have done a great job of keeping us informed of ALL of the activity ... we really appreciate it!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | February 27, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Great tidbits, but looking at his season stats I'd rather not start him on Friday.

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Huet definitely said all the right things

I don't see any reason why all three of these guys can't play evenly to start out. Whoever proves themself to be the best can get the starting nod once the playoffs start.

And yes, we are making the playoffs!

Posted by: Zack | February 27, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

All three goalies have said the right things. Shoot, even Johnnie managed to say he was frustrated, and felt like he was the "odd man out" and still convey respect for the decision. He also made mention of the fact that we got a good goalie without giving up anything.
Johnnie will be ready if called upon...as will Olie.

So far I think both Olie and Johnnie have acted like consumate professionals.

Posted by: pmoravek | February 27, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

fixed. must have been a spellcheck issue. thanks.

Posted by: Tarik | February 27, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

im guessing if we make the playoffs johnny doesnt tag alone and huet gets more starts (if he is playing better then olie which is likely unless olie plays like he did last night every game). but it would suck to drop johnny to hearshey when he really came through recently and deserves to play in the playoffs

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, you big tease! Bettman stuff tomorrow....

Posted by: Lee | February 27, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Hi! i'am from Montreal and Huet was my number one goalies, i missing im verry mutch and i'am glade that now is with you guys. He is he averry good goaltender, a great persone.You gonna like im verry mutch and please be nice with him beacause he's always gonna be nice to everybody and with the team. So, Christobal good luck and i love you verry mutch miss you

Posted by: Melanie | February 27, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

It's definitely not pronounced "Roo-wah"

Posted by: Rob Iola | February 27, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Its also not pronounced "Olie"

Posted by: 28=stick boy | February 27, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

My 5 years of French in HS and college tell me that it's "Yoo-ay," because the only consonants that they really pronounce at the end of a word are c, r, f, and l... But like most languages, there are local dialects that have their own rules and the only way real to pronounce it is the way that he pronounces it. I don't care. If he pronounced it "SAW-chuck" I wouldn't worry about it as long as his makes the right saves.

He's always been known for being a classy guy. As long as Olie and BJ understand that he didn't ask to be in this situation any more than they did, and BB gives them all at least a little time in net, I think things will work out fine.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 27, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Hi Tarik. FYI...The words "interesting" and "Gary Bettman" definitely do not belong together!

Posted by: soupee | February 27, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Here is my thought process behind the 3 goaltender situation. I believe that Huet should be approached with a new contract immediately by GMGM and Ted. Second, I don't believe Olie should be resigned after this season. I think the tandem of Huet and Johnny would be great for the club. Olie needs to look at retiring. Just my humble opinion.

Posted by: Mitch | February 27, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

@Mitch
As much as i hate to say it, I fully agree with everything you said. At the end of this season Olie needs to retire along with his jersey.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 27, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Johnny will NOT be going to Hershey. They arent going to risk next years back up to waivers

Posted by: Dan | February 27, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Good Trade for Giroux! He has already scored for the Bears against Manitoba

Posted by: Dan | February 27, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

At the start of the season Clark when it was announced that Clark would be playing on the third line he made a quote that has really stuck with me and has now become very relevant, "I don't care if I'm third string goalie as long as the team is winning." Let's just hope either Johnny and/or Kolzig can adopt the same selfless out look.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 27, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't think all three goalies should be given an equal chance starting now - this isn't training camp, the Caps are almost 75% of the way done with the season. Kolzig and Johnson have had a chance to show what they can do, and the Capitals are 29th in the league in save percentage as a team and Kolzig is last in the league individually. Huet should be the starter unless he proves that he suddenly isn't good enough.

Posted by: dmg | February 27, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

We now have the best third goalie in the league. Hurrah

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

"My 5 years of French in HS and college tell me that it's Yoo-ay."

My 40 years of being a Frenchman and my 10 years of being a Huet fan tell me that it's not, but it's not far, hehe. Correct pronunciation is ü-ay. This is if you can pronounce a French/German/Turkish ü.

Also, it's only one syllable. H and T are mute, and both vowels must be pronounced at once. But I'm sure he'll be happy if he hears "Yoo-ay! Yoo-ay!" in the stands, so don't worry too much about that. :)

I must add that sometimes, people called Huet (I had a friend of that name) want the T to be pronounced (üett), but apparently he doesn't, because he picked "Yoo-ay".

Posted by: MehdiCaps | February 27, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

@MehdiCaps

If I read your explanation correctly it sounds like we should be calling Huet, UE since the H & T are mute. Damn why don't we just call him Cris. Those one name soccer players seem to pull it off, so lets try it with Huet, UE, Cris, or whatever other name you can think of calling him. Lets hope by the end of this season we can call him the new #1 goalie in Washington a begin the process of biding Kolzig a pleasant retirement.

Posted by: Mitch | February 27, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Why not just call him Crystalball?

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@Mitch and JSchon

Cris for short in comments, and Crys-tal-ball in the stands seem like good ideas to me. :)

He'll be our #1 goalie, for sure. Even though he's not having his best season, he's tied for 10th in save percentage now, the only stat that counts (GAA depends on how many shots your team allows). Olie is 42nd (among goalies with at least 23 starts), tied for worst in the league with Tampa's Holmqvist. I don't want to believe that the difference between them is only due to the defensemen.

Posted by: MehdiCaps | February 27, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

They are treating Olie with as much class as they possibly can, but no goaltender with an 88 save % is going to be backstopping this team next season. Its that simple. Ovie, Backstrom, Semin, Green, Nylander, Fehr, Poti, Brashear, goalie with a .888 save percentage and 3.0+. Olie isn't going to bow out, but he's going to look at retiring a Cap. Beyond this year, I just don't see it happening, and neither does McPhee. Huet gets a look and a sales pitch and possibly serves as the #1, with Johnny, next season.

Wow, Gainey. Just, w0w.

Posted by: Its really only 2 | February 27, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the Caps didn't pick up Huet to sit. He will probably get a start real soon and I think a lot is going to depend on how he plays right away. The team doesn't have a lot of time to make a decision on a number 1 goalie. BB seems to be the type of coach that will just ride the winner until he loses and he doesn't seem to care much about the fact that Kolzig is the "face' of the team. I don't really buy that anyway--the new face of the team is Ovie.

I think Federov is a great pickup too, mostly because of his experience and the fact that we have a legitimate second line center again, Semin & Koz should do much better now.

Posted by: capfan1 | February 27, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone catch Sportsnight tonight? Clark was interviewed, and he was in full pads and sweating his ball$ off. Any word when he might return? I can't wait to get him back.

Posted by: Clarkie | February 27, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

@Clarkie

I hope he takes his time before coming back. If you ask me he's too tough for his own good, last time he tried to come back he only played 2 periods. Even if he's 100 percent now I'd still ask him to wait a week just to be extra sure.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 27, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

After the way he played in Minnesota, I think Olie should start against the Devils.

It's not like our goaltending situation is in shambles.

Let Huet settle in with his new teammates, possibly see some action Sat.

Posted by: Sem-antics | February 27, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Olie played great against Minnesota. That is EXACTLY why I want to see Huet in net on Friday. It makes Huet want to top Kolzig's performance on Wednesday and it lets Kolzig know that we're giving Huet a look. Olie seemed to play a lot better when he was afraid he was losing his job as the starter - keep him sweating.

Posted by: Raber | February 27, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

They need to make Johnny the odd man out and ride the hot goalie. Give Huet the start on Friday and if he wins , it's his until he is either tired ( don't see that happening) or has a horrible performance ( with less then 20 to go, I hope that doesn't happen).

DCONETIMER.BLOGSPOT.COM

CHECK IT OUT

Posted by: DC ONE TIMER | February 27, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Olie should start the next game. He was great against Minnesota. Let's give the man the respect he deserves, he could have left DC long ago. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: Zman | February 28, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Z-man. It's Olie's job to lose. Everyone around here is so quick to throw everyone else under the bus. No respect.

And it's not like Olie's gonna to start back to back games anyway. So to my mind, the bigger question is who starts on Saturday - Huet or Johnny? You gotta think they want to make Huet feel wanted as well...

Posted by: Sem-antics | February 28, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Huet's gonna get in net before Johnny does next...

Posted by: keef | February 28, 2008 3:31 AM | Report abuse

@Sem-antics: I've never been a real Olie basher, but I'd say Olie's job would've been lost had he been on a team with a backup better than Brent. There were times during this season where he looked like a back up goaltender. I mean it's what happened to Emery.

This is Huet we're talking about here, not some second rate garbage we picked up at the deadline. We should let Huet start, and then play them both until someone stands out. If Johnson steps up and makes it clear (through performance in practice) that he wants to compete for a spot too, then give him a chance.

Decisions of who plays should be based on merit, not based on who's done the most for the organization or who's been here the longest. We'll hopefully see a new Kolzig every game he plays now that he's actually got competition for his starting role. If we start Kolzig on Friday and we won't get to see Huet try to prove himself to the team (which I'm sure he's itching to do).

As much as I like Kolzig, I'm more interested in the team playing with fire, something we haven't done consistently recently. Of course I'm not the coach, and BB will start whomever he thinks is ready on Friday.

Posted by: Raber | February 28, 2008 3:59 AM | Report abuse

@Everyone

This feels like a new season with all of the moves and the way they played against MIN. Its going to really cool watching the 91 Caps sweater running the point on the PP (that sounded Nascar-ish).

We have 18 games left. We need about 24 to 27 points to secure a spot I think. That should give the division or sneak us in back door.

We play CAR twice and two games in hand. Sweeping them would be an 8 point swing. All the games are going to be play-off games folks, ALL of them.

Given how this team started and where they are now and how they got here, it doesnt get more exciting than this if you're a hockey fan. I hope the city responds with a great home crowd.

I'm buying my Fedorov sweater asap.

S.Bernier made his debut with BUF last night after being traded for B.Cambell and had 3pt night, 1st star. Lets hope Fedorov, Huet and Cooke have similar contributions.

Tonight, unfortunately we have to be PIT, NYR, OTT and FLA fans.

And please do the job in regulation, no more 3 point games!

Posted by: JSchon | February 28, 2008 7:08 AM | Report abuse

1) Interview with Gary Bettman huh? Unless part of that interview includes the phrase, "I'm resigning" its meaningless.
2) No disrespect to the great job this blog does, but Bettman seldom says anything meaningful. Much like listening to a politician stump speech.

Posted by: Fauxrumors | February 28, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

MedhiCaps,

You are correct on the 'u' with the umlaut being the right pronunciation, but I had americanized it a bit with the "yoo" since we don't tend to use those accent marks in English. Another way to represent that would be "Eu-ay."

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 28, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

If I were BB, I'd start Ollie right now because he is trending up, whereas Huet is trending down -- his last couple starts were pretty rough, esp. against the Pens. In the last month, Huet has given 5 goals 3 times, and let in 3 goals on 13 shots against the Devils. Ollie is 3-1-2, 2.43, .924 in last 6 GPI. Yet Johnson stopped 29/31 goals against NJ and his gaa keeps going down and his sv% goes up. Whoever is super sharp in practice, really raring to go, then start him. Hmm... tough decision on who to start.

Posted by: JIM | February 28, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Way off topic here, but I have tickets in the 200 section for the game against the Bruins on Monday, and wanted to know what it's like up there. I've only been able to get tickets in the 400's and got lucky a couple times to get into one of the luxury boxes (which are sweet...) Thanks folks

Posted by: AP | February 28, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

200 section is pretty cool. You can see all the action and stuff. It provides a really good view of the game. I liked those seats.

Posted by: kt | February 28, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday I was listening to the hockey channel on XM. A guy from Vancouver called in all upset that Cooke was coming to Washington. he said that we didnt know what type of player we were getting, and that he has been the "heart and soul," of that team. He sounded a bit upset about it, but I thought I would pass that info along.

The next called was a Wild fan, and he started by saying he was glad that Cooke was out of the division.

Sounds like a Dale Hunter type to me.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

for the pronunciation it's as said by my countrymate, Ü-hey
even in France we had this debate lol

you can call him Cristo or Cristowall as he was sometimes surnamed ;-)
but first of all call him between the pipes, you won't regret it

Posted by: keopar | February 28, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

AP, the 200s are great seats. From what I remember, it's pretty much the TV perspective from the couple of times I've sat there. Can't remember if the concessions are any different.

Posted by: tallbear | February 28, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The concessions there are better.

Posted by: #29 | February 28, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I've been on the 200 level a few times for other events. The concessions are a bit of an upgrade from the regular stuff. They have a BBQ stand and a fish-n-ships place, among others.

I'm going to go with it being pronounced "oo-ehh".

Posted by: EricS | February 28, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The 200 level is always empty. You can take a wiz under the seats, and no one notices. Never miss any of the action! It's great!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Why do people keep thinking GAA is based on shots?

So, if Huet will let me pronounce his name any way I want... can I call him "HUT." HUT makes a great chant. It's quick, has hard connsenents (damn I can't spell).

At this point, Clark has the whole summer to rehab. We need him back now to be the crasher on the 1st line. It's a dangerous team with him crashing for Ovie, Koz crashing for Semin and Laich crashing for Fehr/Flash.

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 28, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@JIM

If Olie so good why Huet is here? He is here because Olie is inconsistent and old, and the latter means he won't get better, only worse.

If I were BB /GMGM, I's call Olie and told him that for the sake of the team if he is really loyal, and he is, he needs to sacrifice and accept rotating backup position with Johnson.

The goalie controversy needs to be stopped as early as possible or it will bleed and divide the team into fractions.

You can see in the interview that Huet is not happy with 3 goalie situation.

He is an excellent goalie. Don't you people forget how he shut down Caps before that game where AO went wild?

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I wish we could have had an online discussion with Gary Bettman. I would have like to ask him about possible NHL relocation of teams. It seems like teams in Tampa and Nashville are in trouble. Despite Tampa winning a cup a few years ago, they couldn't turn their recent success into a solid attendance. Nashville nearly mortgage their future by obtaining Forsberg, trying to win a Stanley Cup that would save the franchise. I think the NHL has to address these issues swiftly and not fall into the same mistakes the NBA and MLB made when dealing with relocating failing teams.

Posted by: Lowell | February 28, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@Yo Ay

"Olie is 3-1-2, 2.43, .924 in last 6 GPI"

Those arent back up numbers as of late. DOnt try to talk about soft goals, and early on..and ranked last in the league..blah..blah..blah...

Tell me how this is a problem in the last six games?

Posted by: SA-Town | February 28, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Nobody said it, but Backstom really struggles. I really like the kid, he is unbelievably talented, but I think when he reached that mark of 40+ games they usually play in Swedish league, he folded.

That doesn't help Ovechkin either. Maybe, if Fedorov will show up, it makes sense to put Ovechkin and Fedorov together.

Backstrom is in his rookie year and he is exhausted.

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Tell me how this is a problem in the last six games?

The problem is his inconsistency. He had good games along this stretch and he had bad games too. But even in his good games he was not that spectacular. His days are over, he won't improve, his body gave up.

Johnson was better. Does it ring the bell?

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town
Why not talk about the past 20 games?
Its just as relevant as the last 6...

Lets only talk about the good and not the bad?

Sounds like Hillary Clinton taking credit for Bill's successes and taking zero responsibility for his failures.

You cant have one without the other.

Posted by: JSchon | February 28, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Lowell, there was a chat Tuesday with Bettman. IIRC he danced around relocation/expansion.

Posted by: tallbear | February 28, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@Yo Ay

Do Huet's numbers lately tell you anything about consistancy? He's got a great team in front of him too.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 28, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

Selective memory doesnt help anything or anyone.

Posted by: JSchon | February 28, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Did you just see that Ottawa fired their coach? Even though they are in first, we are a better team today.

It is all about what you have done lately in this league. Edmonton got to the finals as the 8 seed.

Dont look so much into overall stats. Semin had a terrible start to the year...Does that make him not a dangerous scorer today because he doesnt have 20 goals this year?

Posted by: SA-Town | February 28, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I think AO really destroyed Huet's confidence. You could see it in his body language after Ovie scored 3 goals. He went into slump after that and that's why Canadians traded him. And we are lucky to have him for almost nothing. He is 32, it is a prime for a goalie. He will get out of slump, Olie won't.

Olie won't because he is old. If Olie were 32, I'd defend him as well, but I don't see Olie will improve. From now it's only downhill for him.

Patrick Roy let 8 goals from RWs in one game and he asked for a trade. He was traded to Avs, he recovered in Denver and he got another Stanley Cup ring.

Huet will get out of slump, but he needs help from the management. He needs to be told that he is #1 right now. If he won't play to expectations, which I doubt, that's another story, but he needs that confidence vote from management. Without that it makes complete nonsence to bring him here.
Huet

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Actually Roy got two rings. In any case last 5 games for Huet is similar to what Roy got when he was traded. Very similar to what we have now. It doesn't happen every day. GMGM got burned on Bryzgalov, but he bounced back with Huet.

Huet is #1, end of story.

Posted by: Yo Ay | February 28, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Semin has been out 19 games, thats why he has 20 goals, not because he was slumping.

I have to completely disagree with you that this is a "what have you done for me lately" mentality in the NHL. That does not apply for in this case at all.

OTT fired their coach because they have gone 11-13-2 in the new year. They were arguably the best team in the NHL pre-season. They have the BEST scoring line in the entire NHL and have been under performing for 2 months. OTT has Stanley Cup goals.

Based on your logic, we should've gotten rid of Kolzig mid-season. We were winning games in spite of his play.

Posted by: JSchon | February 28, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

LOL, did Yo Ay just compare Huet to Patrick Roy? You gotta be kidding me. He's a good goaltender but he's not even in the top 10 playing in the league right now. Fans shouldn't be trick to thinking Huet is the "missing" piece and there are no guarantees he'll play as well as he was in Montreal with the Caps defense in front of him. Let's not get our expectations get out of hand. I would like to see this trade motivate Kolzig into regaining his form. Judging from the last game, he won't give up the starting role without a fight. So lets see the goalies duke it out for #1 and hopefully, the Caps will benefit from a little friendly competition.

Posted by: Lowell | February 28, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Lowell - I think that was the purpose of this trade - to spark some competition.

Huet is a Capital now - can't we be happy he is here? As for Kolzig's last 6 games - look at the PK - we only allowed 4 PP goals and that was in one game. There are so many variables that people have to consider.

I wouldn't start Huet against NJ - he is 1-6 against them... I would start Johny against them. He seems to do better against teams that do not have a high powered offense.

I'm glad Huet is here and I hope we sign him in the offseason. He is the bridge from the old (Kolzig) to the new.

I'm glad Kolzig is playing better in the past few games - but where the hell was he in the beginning of the season. Maybe we would have 75 points now... who knows. I just know that Huet is the type of goalie that can steal wins from the other team and the other goalie.

Posted by: 828 | February 28, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone, BIG HUET FAN here and I Just wanted to clear something up about his name.

His name is Huet and is supposed to be pronounced with a hard t, like in France, he was interviewed countless times here and he said that's the way his name is pronounced originally, but he doesn't minded it with a silent t.
And if you were to pronounce his name, it's not Hewitt, but rather üett.
Here, they called him üet with a silent t.

Enough about that anyway, treat Cristobal well, as he was VERY underappreciated by fans and will be a very valuable player for you guys.

GO HABS
GO CAPS
GO HUET

Posted by: Steve (from Montreal) | February 29, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

@ Boo!

I love it when people feel the need to correct someone's spelling, especially that of a pro journalist, from correct to incorrect. The word "red" is only a color, dear. Tarik has it right.

Posted by: ranndino | February 29, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

When he come in Montreal, he said You-ay, but earlier this season, his wife said Hew-et. In France they say Hew-et, here in Canada we were used to say You-ay. I suggest you to ask his wife !

Posted by: Guy | February 29, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how do they pronounce his name in France, but I remember hearing in Montreal 21000 voices yelling non stop his name when he was doing crazy saves and it was sounding more like 2 syllables with mute H and T : "ü-et,ü-et,ü-et,ü-et,ü-et,ü-et,ü-et,ü-et,ü-et,ü-et" !!!

This is a very quiet guy that does'nt like to create big waves. A classy guy like someone said. He is very respectful with his fans, coaches and teamates, whatever decision were taken in the past. He gave Montreal's fans a nice and warm farewell.

Moreover, it's a good goalie that is improving continuously. A good asset.

Too bad that he will have to fight the first place again in WAS, like he did with Price in MTL.

I'm glad that this season, MTL won't play again against WAS because for sure Huet will win it.

Be respectful with him, don not put too much pressure and he will reward you.

Have a nice last run to the playoff!

Posted by: Pat (from Montreal) | February 29, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

As a Montreal fan, please transmit this message to Christobal Thank you for the great work you did for the canadians. Beside being a great goalie, you are a classy guy and the best Embassador France ever had in Montreal including De Gaule. Good luck with your new team. I am sure you will get an ovation the next time you come to Montreal.

Posted by: Daniel Harvey | March 9, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse