Q&A With Sergei Fedorov

Fedorov arrived in town this afternoon, took a tour of Kettler Capitals Iceplex and then met with the media. He seemed genuinely excited about changing teams, particularly about the prospect of getting more ice time here.

Here's some of what he had to say:

Q: Excited to be in Washington?
A: "To be honest with you, I had to gather my thoughts yesterday. But today is a brand new day. The old chapter is closed and a new chapter is open. That's the nature of our of our lives."

"I'm looking forward to working with the organization and hopefully be part of something special, like make a playoff run and making the playoffs."

Q: Have you been told what's been expected of you here?
A: "I just met the coach, and he told me that I'm going to play a little bit more than I played in Columbus. For me, that's exciting news. I don't think about anything else."

"Even though I'm 38 years old, I still play my best games with younger players. In team sports there are no small details. My daily routine will include all those small details. That's how championships are won. You have to pay attention to details."

Q: GM George McPhee said yesterday that there's a lot left in your tank. Do you feel that way?
A: "I think so, I hope so. I would like to show it before I talk about it. It's a very exciting time. It's been a crazy last 48 hours. I think my voicemail and text messages are still flooded. It's a new chapter for me, and I would like to quickly become part of this team and get some damage done."

Q: Did you expect to be moved?
A: It crossed my mind. I just did not expect it to be Washington. It wasn't easy to do. But I'm glad it happened. Now I'm here and I've moved on and I'm looking forward."

Q: This is the last year of your contract. Do you want to play several more years?
A: "I'm going to consider all of my options after the season ends."

Q: Including retirement?
A: "Including that, yes."

I'll type up what Cristobal Huet had to say when I get some more time. I have to write a story for the newspaper.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 27, 2008; 3:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Huet and Fedorov Due to Arrive Later
Next: Q&A With Cristobal Huet

Comments

First.

Posted by: Howie | February 27, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to Huet's comments. if nothing else, Federov should be great to have with the Alex's. Does he know Kozy at all? Alex, Alex, Victor and Sergei. Look out, the Russians are here.

Posted by: EricS | February 27, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Interesting comments by Melrose on why we got Huet, or rather, why Montreal traded him before getting Hossa deal locked up.

The deal was for Hossa and Hedberg. Hedberg would have the same role as Huet which would make Huet a 3rd or 4th goalie. So they delt him to us for a pick thinking that the Hossa deal was done.

It's a guess, but it makes sense to me.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice to hear straight from the horse's, er, player's mouth. Thanks for being as up on things as ever over these last couple of days.

Posted by: Goat | February 27, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Federov showed up in a big long fur coat and was asking people to kiss his Stanley Cup Rings...

Posted by: Fed | February 27, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Translation: "Columbus stinks. And now I can use Ovechkin as a wingman to pick up women." :)

Posted by: tallbear | February 27, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Coach Paddock of the Sens was fired today.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - Thanks for all the great updates!

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on WTF this means:

Suggested meanings: (1)On game days I polish my sticks for an hour, and always put my right skate on before my left. Then I'll have one of the young Russians serve as my ottoman and bring me cold beverages and cute women.

(2) I need to teach Semin that to be better he will need to do my bidding. "Boy, (pointing at Semin), bring me my stanley cup ring polish, a bottle of expensive vodka and a cheap-looking woamn. Now!"

Posted by: old time hockey | February 27, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

In that Q&A, not only did Fedorov say the right stuff, he said things that show how much experience he has to lend to the organization. I hope some of the younger guys are willing to listen.

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 27, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Off topic:
When is clark coming back?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@FFS

OV has got to be pumped to play with this Russian Superstar...he'll listen.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Wait a minute! You're writing for the masses before you tell US what Huet said?? Where's your loyalty, man!!! That's like telling us you're trading us for a second round pick next year!

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

On topic:

SF was married to Ana Kournikova. He's already a star in my book.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | February 27, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

when he won't feel pain from me

Posted by: clark's groin | February 27, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to seeing him and OV at Clydes after games with loads of talent.

Posted by: fansince72 | February 27, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

WAR TARIK!! YOU'RE DOING A KICK A$$ JOB!

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 27, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

SF was married to Ana Kournikova. He's already a star in my book.

Now we know which blonde you were looking when you missed the net

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else having technical problems watching the propaganda piece....err, I mean....video with Bettman on WPL? It keeps starting and stopping, maybe trying to buffer....just very choppy. Can't get it to work. Tarik, any way you guys can post a "friendlier" version? Or maybe its just my sh!tty work computer.

Maybe it isn't worth watching anyway. Its probably only Bettman once again blowing more hot air than the Hindenburg.

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | February 27, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@FFS

Let's count the Stanley Cup rings in the room... If I'm not mistaken, he's got the only ones. They'd damn well better listen!

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov: Hey, Semin, go polish my Red Army boots. Me and Ovie are gonna raid this town tonight.

Ovie: But my gf!

Fedorov: Don't worry, I'll hook you up with Sharapova.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Federov spray-paints his practice sticks solid gold. He also wears a cape during practice.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

its like july 1, all over again

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

Fedorov's comment could mean "Don't expect me to directly teach anybody anything, but the guys are welcome to learn from/follow my example" This in presumed response to BB or GMGM asking him to take Ovie/the younger guys under his wing.

I prefer it to mean, "I'm going to show everyone what I do to prepare for games. I'm still putting up points in the NHL at 38, and I've won a couple of trophies over the years, maybe you should pay attention"

Posted by: austinsteve | February 27, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

@GregS,

The Bears had more rings before SF showed up.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 27, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Both interviews are up at the Caps website. Pretty cool stuff.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 27, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

actually his practice sticks are solid gold painted to look like hockey sticks that he then pray paints gold. he also used at least three new ones each practice, melting down the used ones to create statues of him self "doing the business" with russian tennis stars

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

wouldn't surprise me.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@Pothier's Thumb

I tried to watch that video last night, and all I got was a clip from the democratic debate.

Posted by: Gelf | February 27, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

After listening to Fedorov's interview, he's a realist. Know's he's a rental. Might play next year, doesn't know. Now is now, then is then kind of guy.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Bettman didn't say anything interesting. Every team has a chance, no steroid problem in hockey, Ovechkin is great, blah blah...

Posted by: tallbear | February 27, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

the only goalie the Caps should of gotten is clakie!!!! RE SIGN OLIE http://youtube.com/watch?v=hdf4GeT4ELA

Posted by: Go RED SOX GO | February 27, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@Tallibear,

Bettman should have mentioned that the Congressional gift rules makes it too difficult for people to take them and their staff to games....

Posted by: old time hockey | February 27, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

onfrozenblog.com have pretty cool pictures of Fedorov and Ovechkin training together.

Great.

Posted by: Finn | February 27, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the new mantra Fedorov:

"...GET SOME DAMAGE DONE"

Posted by: galu | February 27, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Fed Head sounds a little disinterested to me. I guess he thinks DC is a step down from Columbus. Good luck BB. You've got an elitist in the mix now.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | February 27, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I was/am excited about yesterdays moves.

After hearing the interviews, I am now comfortable with both Huet and Fedorov.

Next step, winning streak.

Lets go NSH, MIN and TOR

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Esa,

What are you talking about? He said at the end of the interview that it was great to have media paying attention to him-something that hasn't happened in the last three years. He looked pretty excited to me.

Also, I just watched the Brent Johnson interview from after last night's game.. and now I'm depressed.

Posted by: Jordan | February 27, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

@Jordan
Hope you're right. I probably misunderstood the Russian Rocket. Go Caps.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | February 27, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting that the interview video was up.

Fedorov mumbled something about Detroit and Michigan a couple of times. I think he thought they'd try and take him back at some point, particularly given what we paid for him. Isn't he the one who chose to leave for the money in Anaheim?

If we finish the regular season in 1st in the SE I think he and Huet will get over their obvious funk about being here.

Either way I think Ovie's energy will rub off on them.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 27, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Tarik

Why did Huet get here so fast? He is a Canadian on a Canadian team too. Why did his papers get done so fast?

Posted by: Bob | February 27, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@ Pothier's Thumb - It works fine for me -- probably just the work computer. Try watching it at home.

The most important thing I took away from the interview is that Bettman wears more blush than I do.

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

@ Bob - Huet is French, not Canadian.

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Huet used to play for the Kings so he probably had all his paper work all set up from back then. Cooke however has always played for the Canucks so it's probably just a little harder for him. It's kinda weird that immigration isn't a little more set up for this kind of thing though.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 27, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

After watching him be dominant the 90's, seeing Fedorov in a Caps sweater is like a wet dream. I know he looks good in RED!!!

The timing of it in everyone's careers and at this point in the this season all too much. The way they have been competing, I think they are now as well positioned as anyone to make a run.

Perhaps the addition of Fedorov will see the former Selke winner teach Semin and Ovy what kind of defense it takes to really win in the NHL SCP, and they in turn will reignite the former Hart winner's offensive touch and take their games to new levels.

Like Ovy said, "He's won everything!"

Posted by: Sem-antics | February 27, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any idea what the line combo's will be and where Federov will skate? I have to think after last night fehr, flash and brooksie are staying together.

As always, nice work.

Posted by: pch49 | February 28, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@ austinsteve: Feds didn't leave Detroit for more money. He wanted an extra year on his deal in Det. but they wouldn't give it and Anaheim did.

I think he regrets leaving the Wings, and his possible return at the deadline was all the hype the last time the Jackets were in Detroit. Maybe he bought into that and was a bit bummed, but I think he'll love playing in DC. There is a lot he can teach this young team and he seemed to be truly excited to be given more ice time.

Posted by: BGSU91 | February 28, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse