Quick updates on Green, goalies and more

While Tarik works on a longer post at Mellon Arena, here are a few bits of info the non-tweeting community may have missed (in reverse chronological order):

*The Consol Energy Center is taking shape. http://tweetphoto.com/9219608
*John Erskine, Quintin Laing and Michal Neuvirth are on the ice for extra work. So they will not play.
*Mike Green said "we'll see" when asked if he'll play tonight.
*Mike Green skated this morning but will be a game time decision, I'm told.
*John Carlson recalled for precautionary reasons, BB said. A couple of D have "ouchies," he said.
*Brent Johnson will start tonight for the Pens.
*Brian Pothier did not make the trip. So he's out, obviously.
*Haven't seen this many reporters for a regular season NHL game. Ever.

And a few more from Dan Steinberg:

*Carlson, meantime, has played for four teams in six cities over two weeks
*Mike Green was joking w that practice line. Said he's not sure about his availability tonight.
*Tarik takes a photo of pens' new arena http://tweetphoto.com/9219614
*Mike Green on why he didn't practice yesterday: "I don't know. Just didn't feel like it."
*Pittsburgh sports talkers saying this is first time for Pens to pay Ovechkin back for hit on Gonchar. Wish sports talkers were playing.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 21, 2010; 12:36 PM ET
 | Tags: Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps recall John Carlson
Next: Jose Theodore vs. Brent Johnson

Comments

Sit Sloan even if Green plays.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

what is Green's "ouchie"?

Posted by: bigschu8 | January 21, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

gee I don't know, most of you seem to care more about how much better Ovie is compared to Sid both as a player and a person... the team success almost seems secondary to me

Posted by: joek443

Joe, one's a center and one's a wing. Kind of hard to compare them.

How about: Sid's better on draws and Ov hits harder?

Posted by: Steve_R | January 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

body injury, as opposed to some other type.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

________

Hahaha

Posted by: richmondphil | January 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

How about paying back Kunitz for his cross check on Varly...with interest. That one is long overdue.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't sticking up for Crosby, I was just warning all Caps fans that want to continue to dislike him, like I did, to avoid watching the NHL Network special. It humanized him for him, and I friggin' hate it. I have watched the Pens and the rest of the NHL on Center Ice all season, but since he Crosby finally plays the Caps for the 1st time this season my dislike or hatred for him will probably percolate tonight when he starts his whining.

Oh, I know Ovi has 50 times the personality, Ovi is the man. If you haven't had a chance you all need to check out the video on the Caps website that has Ovi going around interviewing Green, Backs, Laich, his body double, and the hair lady on the set of the commercial that first aired during the winter classic. The one where the Caps and Flyers were snowed in and skated on the tarmac.

At one point he interviewed a kid that looks to be about 18 that is Ovi's body double during the commercial. So Ovi starts asking the kid questions like he is Ovi himself. He asks, so what do you think about the suspension and being accused of being a dirty player. The kid goes, oh, it was an accident, I'm sorry. Ovi looked at him without cracking a smile and said DON'T BE SORRY, and the kid answered, OK, I'm not sorry. You have to see the video to appreciate it. It is on the Caps webpage in the multimedia area in the Capsmedia365 pull down. It is on the bottom as the most viewed videos.

Trust me fellow Caps fans, I AM NOT a Crosby fan, nor trying to make any of you a Crosby fan. LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong green....not getting enough attention? So you have to fake an injury so we pay more attention to you..?

We don't need the head case games...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

AlexOMunch,

Somebody would have to go up to the press box for payback. He's been out for awhile

Posted by: Steve_R | January 21, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

During the 2nd period of the last game Green blocked a shot with the back of his right hand. He was seen bent over on the bench and I wondered if he would come back then. Am I the only one that saw that?

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 21, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

You think Ovi and Malkin will avoid each other so that they don't injure themselves before the Olympics? :)

Posted by: richmondphil | January 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

---I agree, SIT SLOAN...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps,

You related to Soviet?

Posted by: Steve_R | January 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"...Wish sports talkers were playing..."

haha - I liked that one. Excellent job!

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

We don't need the head case games...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 12:59 PM

that's most like it... we know you're "SinkingCaps" at heart and can't wait for Green to get seriously hurt

Posted by: joek443 | January 21, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@joek - I guess my main problem with Cindy is not so much that he seems to be a jerk but that the league has decided to make him the centerpiece of their marketing. So I guess you could say my problem is at least as much with the league as with Cindy.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with there being a personal aspect to a rivalry. It adds to the intensity and the enjoyment. What go you so riled up?

Posted by: zmega | January 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

nope not the only one. I saw it as well and said something to my buddy. That is what hurts, but I think the staff realizes Sloan has been a liability the last few games as well and wants the best possible group out there tonight.

Posted by: ThePat | January 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I like the Olympic with NHL'ers...but seriously, how happy are any of us going to be if something bad happens to one of our players?

This will not make sense, but maybe Hockey should be in the Summer Olympics, so it doesn't interupt with the season. Basketball (like anyone cares) is in the summer olympics...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mike Green -
Do you want to know why you did not make the Team Canada Roster? Please note your quote from today:

Go Caps - crush the Pens!

Posted by: armonroe | January 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

With all the talk about Ovi/Crosby it begs the following question:

Would you trade Ovi/Backs for Crosby/Malkin?

Me.......NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | January 21, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@JoeK...lol...yes, you are right, I am simply waiting for Green to get "hurt"...

So, I guess, according to you...I should be happy he might not play tonight?

You don't hear any other players giggling and keeping hush about their phantom injuries...

LOL...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@armonroe...

Be careful. Honesty about Caps players and their "heart" could lead to many insults and unfriendly responses...

LOL...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL you're the one who couldn't control himself when Green got hurt earlier this season and said "hope he's out for season"

if you're gonna change your name, you think chaning from "SinkingCaps" to "SoaringCapps" was such a good idea? who would notice???

Posted by: joek443 | January 21, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I hate the fact that we could crush them tonight and for the rest of the regular season meetings, and they STILL will have won the SC.

Absolute vindication will only come in April.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 21, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Live in Pgh but bleed RED! You should hear the sports yakkers here--Ovi is one dimensional, Ovi is dirty, etc. And Green's quote last night about the Pens' "stealing" it from the Caps last year is getting some mileage. Pens fans are soooo sensitive.

I will be at the game tonight and will be looking for some fellow Caps fans. LET'S RCOK THE RED AT MELLON ARENA!!!

Posted by: redrocker2 | January 21, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

When do we get to pay back Kunitz for his viscous slash to Varly's throat? And when do we get to pay back Orpick for his after the whistle slash that broke Semin's hand? Could any fan base be more hypocritical than pittsburgh? Can't imagine there is.

Posted by: Terpsrule | January 21, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how some people take an offhand joke by Green and run with it. Oh wait, my bad, I forgot, hockey is always Serious Business. No jokes allowed.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't trying to have people not notice...I was simply being more positive with "my name"....

I still believe playoff time when goals are tough to come by, Green will be a liability.

But with Sloan on the team, Green is now not so much of a liability...

I am also the one who bashed the weeble wobble Schultz...and I'm the one who has appreciated his improvement this year.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Dear Armonroe -

I'm pretty sure Green was kidding when he said he just didnt feel like practicing.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 21, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

alexovetjkin blog has a great Ovi article.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 21, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@ GAH. THAT is why he drives me crazy. He has opportunity to say "just resting up for the big game" or "coach thought it would be best for me to give it a rest." This just comes off as laziness - which is what I see on the ice from him.

Go Caps - crush the Pens!

Posted by: armonroe | January 21, 2010 1:03 PM

I give Greenie a pass. He plays nearly 30 minutes a game and is out there on ALL situations against the opposing teams top players. With the games being "squeezed" together more because of the Olympic schedule, there is less recovery time between games.

Green wants to be out on the ice as much as anyone, but I think the recovery/rest is a smart move.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 21, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

LMAO now Sloan is the Savior on defense now... you gotta be kidding

without Green this team has NO offensive threat from the blue line

you notice how the Pens suffer miserably without Gonchar???

Posted by: joek443 | January 21, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Wait, so when goals are tough to come by, you want a major offensive threat taken off the ice?

How bout this, wait till BB finalizes his D-pairings for the post season (we should see them in March) or GMGM makes a move, and then judge the D as a whole. He hasn't been the only one who's at times been a liability on the blue line.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

you notice how the Pens suffer miserably without Gonchar???

Posted by: joek443 | January 21, 2010 1:17 PM |

hey...

Posted by: richmondphil | January 21, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure he was joking, but how does that look when you turn back to the stat that he was on the ice for seven of the eight goals given up last week? He needs to think about things like a professional - he sounds like a child.

Posted by: armonroe | January 21, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@ armonroe: Did you read the entire thing? I think it was stupid people like you in high school who wouldn't read an entire assignment and do it wrong and then get pissed you got a horrid grade.

Buttmunch, he was joking. *rolls eyes*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 21, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

With all the talk about Ovi/Crosby it begs the following question:

Would you trade Ovi/Backs for Crosby/Malkin?

Me.......NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | January 21, 2010 1:04 PM |

When it comes down to it- this is the real question. You could even just narrow it down to #8/87. I'd never make that trade- but I'd bet you could Pens fans to seriously consider it. I think they'd even trade Crosby before Malkin (current slump not withstanding).

Posted by: Fro_ | January 21, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

JSnyd...you aren't getting my point.

We do need Green, but we don't need Green playing the same amount of minutes.

And yes, if we can land the right defenseman and goalie-rental....we are cup champions...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Again, hockey is Serious Business. No jokes allowed.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a bunch of children in here.

you did it first. no, you did it first. no, you did.

stupid.

In other hockey news, Canes take the "C" away from Brindy and give it to Staal. Then ask their veterans (except Brindy) to waive their NMC's.

Let the Cane's fire sale commence.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 21, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Green has an injury to hit right hand. What the heck are people watching if not the games? There was a shot from the left point and Green put his right hand, palm to his chest, up and blocked the shot. He was then spotted on the bench hunched over holding his hand. He didn't practice because he has an injury. He didn't give a serious answer because he's not allowed to disclose he has an injury. Give the guy a friggin' break. The Caps are what 6-1 in their last 7 and Green has a 9 game point streak? I really don't know what more players can do. If I hear a defenseman playing defense again I am going to puke. We have some of those, Mike Green is our puck moving defenseman that many other teams around the league would take, at his current salary or more, in a a heartbeat. When teams create a game plan, now to neutralize Mike Green is part of the plan.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 21, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan - wow - seems that you have some issues.

Sorry everyone. I'll go back to being a real hockey fan who gives a damn about the team, and not the children who are on these blogs commenting.

Wow. I was called a buttmunch. That's not even a word...

Posted by: armonroe | January 21, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.

The Wizard to Pens. (p4) (p for phil)

Posted by: richmondphil | January 21, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Let the Cane's fire sale commence.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 21, 2010 1:23 PM |

Dude- I saw that. It'll be interesting to see what goes on with the Canes in the future. I'll definitely have to follow a bit.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 21, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

LOL at the Green hate, it's stunning, really. He's a point per game defensemen. He runs the point for the best power play in the NHL and has the 4th best +/- for all defensemen. Seriously, that's like saying you want to trade Adrian Peterson because he fumbles sometimes. It's really not very smart.

Posted by: Terpsrule | January 21, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but how about this
George la Rock-the red
gm/gm should check this out

Posted by: t-bone67 | January 21, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Cindy and Shrek - i can't wait!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 21, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

With green's attitude a comment like that isnt a joke.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | January 21, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

With green's attitude a comment like that isnt a joke.

Posted by: SovietSnipes |

LOL What attitude? The kid skates 30 minutes a night, he takes a ridiculous pounding, he gets cheap shots all the time and he's still producing like crazy. God Forbid the kid crack a joke without being judged. Just unreal.

Posted by: Terpsrule | January 21, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

dont know what it is about hockey "fans" in this area but very few of them have the appreciation for offensive d-men

its been like that for as long as I can remember... couldn't wait to get rid of Larry Murphy, Kevin Hatcher then Gonchar

one of them is already in the HOF with 4 Cups and Gonchar might well join him there someday with God only know how many rings

Posted by: joek443 | January 21, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Cindy and Shrek - i can't wait!

Posted by: lylewimbledon

I am assuming Malkin is Shrek, now thats funny!!!

Posted by: ksaul79 | January 21, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@Joek

I always thought Gonch was one of the most underrated defensemen in the league when he was here. I remember as a kid being upset that Hatcher was let go (to go along with a lot of the bone-headed moves made during that era)

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with Green's attitude? He cares enough about hockey to be capable of playing close to 30 minutes in a game. Work the point on a PP that clicks at a 25% success rate, leads defensman in scoring, and is tied for the 6th in the league at +19. All while playing for a team that is 31-12-6.

The guy has been a consistent threat to opponents since Boudreau took over in Nov 2007. I swear I am in disbelief when I hear and read people complain about him. Lazy? He often leads the rush and then is the first player back to aid his fellow defenseman.

Team Canada passed on him, so what, good for us and the Caps. When it is said and done Team Canada will probably be second guessing why they brought old legs to the tournament and lacked scoring and speed on the blue line.

Not considering Green a superstar (which I do, but that's my opinion) isn't what makes me scratch my head. Implying he is a liability and lazy is what shocks me. The fact that he doesn't look like he panics with the puck might make him look lazy to some people, and that he skates effortlessly may make him look lazy, but come on folks, he's a top notch hockey player that skates with his head up and goes around players in the neutral zone like they are cones at practice.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 21, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

WOW i love all this bickering about Green. Takes the pressure away from the TOWERofPOWER Jeff Schultz.

Posted by: colezig37 | January 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

WOW i love all this bickering about Green. Takes the pressure away from the TOWERofPOWER Jeff Schultz Posted by: colezig37

Ha! Ha! Where are all those "GET RID OF SCHULTZ" guys? Not the sit Schultz guys (which I didn't agree with) but the ignorant "cut or trade him for a bag of pucks" guys?

Posted by: GoEagles | January 21, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse