Quote of the Day

I arrived at St. Pete Times Forum for the morning skate to find out that the Caps weren't, in fact, skating. And the coaches were having their meetings at the team hotel.

Because of that, I'll have to update you with any lineup changes before tonight's 7:30 face-off against the banged-up Bolts. But this much we do know: Brent Johnson will be in goal for Washington, most likely opposing Johan Holmqvist. It will Johnson's first action since he beat the Panthers in Florida two weeks ago and only his third start since Nov. 15.

So while we wait for Bruce Boudreau to brief the media around 5:30, I'll leave you with this quote from Gabby's post- game press conference last night:

"I'll find out about a lot of guys [tonight]. Is it a, 'Hang my head, woe-is-me crowd,' or a 'Let's be determined and turn it around again'" crowd?

Great question.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 15, 2007; 1:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Home Sweet Home
Next: Lineup Shakeup Tonight

Comments

Bruce tells it how it is...
He is my hero!
He doesnt care what your name is on the back of the jersey all he sees is Washington Capitals not individuals

i wish he would take out Bradley and swap him with Flash
Laing/Steckle/Motzko
Brashere/Laich/Flash

Posted by: ZackAttack | December 15, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I think its time for Boudreau to sit Poti, make him think about his huge contract, and determine whether he wants to work for it, to put up the stats and ice time he has in the past, or whether he's a bum.

I don't mind Kozlov, he and Backstrom were working well last night. But Kolzig and Poti were just atrocious last night, it was painful. And if Alzner or Godfrey are even half ready by the end of the Junior Tourney, they should join us and let Shultz return to Hershey. He is the softest 6'5 ive ever seen in my life.

Posted by: S.L.S. | December 15, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Personally I would love to see Alzner here. I thought he was ready at training camp!! But I didn't think we could call him up now. Would someone confirm or deny?

Tarik - Laich's putting up the numbers!!! :-)

In regards to the question: We should have had the game last night. For the sake of the team/season, the team better come out with a "we can do this" attitude and "get her done".

Posted by: Tracy | December 15, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Just posting in reponse to all the hype that has been generated on this blog the past few days. Particularly to Mike Green and Bruce Boudreau. I think the coach is awesome, but before we call him coach of the year, lets see what he can do over the long hall. Tarik, your blog isgreat, however I have to disagree with taking the "interm" tag off of the coach this early. I say lets see where this team is after 20-25 games under him before anything like that is considered. As for Mike Green, he is going to be a great player. He is not there yet however, and as seen last night, there is just so much more work that needs to be done on not only his part, but everyone's in order for the caps to turn the season around.
So I say that the next time the caps win three in a row, that we keep the hype and excitement level to a minimum, because there is no use in getting people's hopes up while this team is still in last place and so far out of playoff contention.

Posted by: Capsfan25 | December 15, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Woe is me.

Posted by: oldfan | December 15, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the previous thread, for the record, I will not respond to any posts that contain direct or indirect personal attacks/insults. If anyone would like to have an exchange about the game, the players, the leadership, etc. (i.e. NOT resorting to calling each other names and other such behavior), then count me in. Otherwise, you're on your own.

Having said that, I think much of what I wrote was misinterpreted (or not read in its entirety). If anyone has further questions/points that they would like to discuss in a polite manner, then just say the word - I'm all ears.

Lastly, thanks to those of you who engage in thought-provoking, informed and respectful exchanges on a regular basis. I enjoy your input/perspectives, and sharing in the love of the game with you!

Posted by: Boo! | December 15, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Alzner can not come to the caps till after his junior seasons is over at the earliest.

Posted by: usiel | December 15, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Most of us like your input too.

Posted by: Lee | December 15, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Is it nice and warm in Tampa? Whilst we all suffer in cold here in DC....

OH, WOE IS ME!!!!

Posted by: Lee | December 15, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Lee - you too!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | December 15, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Fire ICBB and GMGM !!!! And trade Eminger, erskine and Shultz for some real defencemen.!!!!!

Posted by: NCF | December 15, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

That was Bush League last night. Bush league I tell you.

Posted by: Ron Burgandy | December 15, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@NCF: Not sure if you were joking, but I believe this might be an overreaction after a 2 goal (really a 1 goal) loss to the Sabres. The Caps are probably better on the road against them because at least then we expect the crowd to be cheering for Buffalo.

Kolzig was pretty awful last night, from the one-handed assist to the wrap-around in the third. He took the wind out of our sails.

And why hasn't anyone yelled at Nyles yet for blindly spinning when we've pulled the goalie? He may as well have shot the puck in our net, not that he actually would've shot the puck. He'd probably pass to someone like Vanek instead.

Posted by: Raber | December 15, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd yell at him, Raber, but Nyls isn't alking to me.

Posted by: Lee | December 15, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

It's not "nice and warm". ...It's hot.

Not that I'm complaining, though.

But it'll catch up to me tomorrow in snowy Detroit.

Posted by: Tarik | December 15, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I like Boo!'s input too. :)

And I'm also liking that I'm no longer in the minority (well, maybe I still am but the group has grown from the one or two that were in it a few nights back) of saying Semin's way outta the game right now.

Posted by: keef | December 15, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@Tracy.......it's GIT-R-DONE!!!! And the boys will do well tonight. I promise they will rebound from their third period collapse last night.

Posted by: Mitch | December 15, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully BB put something on them last night Ajax wont take off...that was a terrible 3rd period, and he had better let them know it. Scratch Kozlov and Schultz for starters.

Posted by: You'll Never Know | December 15, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@Mitch

Thanks for the correction. :-) And I like your confidence in the team! Wish ALL the fans thought like us. They will turn it around!

Posted by: Tracy | December 15, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@usiel

Thanks for the confirmation about Alzner.

Posted by: Tracy | December 15, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Keef - you too! :-)

Yeah, like I said, Semin has limitless potential, he's just not performing up to it right now. Not to say that he can't or won't ... in fact I hope that he will! I love to watch him play when he is on his game. Because he can play so well, I am absolutely bewildered when he does not. I really do hope that BB unlocks the mystery and helps him to snap out of it.

Posted by: Boo! | December 15, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - See you in Detroit.

Posted by: Tracy | December 15, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Scratch this Scratch that, Blah, Blah, Blah. BB is a tester. As is any good manager. He's The General who is determining who will follow him into battle and who will not. We are starting to see the true warriors separate from the pretenders and those on the cusp who can go either way. Who will be on the ice with 30 seconds left in game seven?

Posted by: DarrylHockey | December 15, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, ZackAttack, I couldn't disagree more. Bradley is one of the hardest-working, most consistent players on the team and does his job every night. Just last night we were saying how great it is that he's getting to play every game. He deserves it.

Posted by: Jill | December 15, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Everybody wants to scratch this guy, and scratch that guy, win or lose! One day it's Kozlov, one day it's Brash, the next day it's Schultz, ect., ect., ect.

You all do realize that we really can't win em' all?!?

They had one bad night. Buffalo took our game and shoved it right in our faces last night. They controlled the forecheck, they took away passing lanes, and stuffed up the neutral zone. We played bad last night, but in the Sabres defense, they played pretty damn good!

I think the boys will pull through tonight and get it right back on track. Coach Boudreau let em' have it last night, and they will be ready to play.

I've seen Boudreau coached teams quite a bit the last few seasons, and his teams don't lose too damn many in a row, at any time I've seen him coach. The Caps will come right back out tonight and take it to the Lightning. I mean, c'mon, Kozlov might be able to score on tampa's weak ass goaltending.....YEAH RIGHT! jk

Posted by: Matt | December 15, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree with most of you. Semin suck, Nylander suck, Koslov suck. They just get lucky once in a while and set up a goal or two. When they get push from the back they are sissies. When the others get push from the back they are mistreated, fouled. Kolzig is great. he just get unlucky once in a while and let in a goal or two, that is not his fault, it is the defense. BB is the best coach in the world and Tarik is the best hockey writer. And this bloggers really know what they are talking about.
@Opita
In a previous post you ask for a definition of immature?
I looked it up on the blogger's dictionary, it is defined as:
Immature. n., Semin.

Posted by: Joe | December 15, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, why is that a great question?
Why tonight?
To me, it seems as if he is feeding you a bunch of non-sense. Maybe you should have had a followed with a "HUH!?"

Posted by: Joe | December 15, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Joe - Amen!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | December 15, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Don't take the interim tag of BB just yet. It keeps the pressure on him to prove to GMGM and Leonsis that he belongs here. In turn, that will force him to put more pressure and challenge this team to continue performing better.

Posted by: straub21 | December 16, 2007 1:55 AM | Report abuse