Quote of the Day

Earlier today I asked majority owner Ted Leonsis about A.O.'s new clothing line, which will be introduced tonight in Toronto.

Without any hesitation, Leonsis dropped this gem of a quote:

"I've asked Alex to save for me one pair of bright red pants, which I'm sure will have holes in it," he said. "They'll be low-slung bellbottoms. If he wins MVP and I can fit in them, I'll wear them Friday night.".

I'm still laughing. Anyway, I just wanted to pass that along before I head out to do some reporting here in Toronto this afternoon. I'll do my best to update if something interesting happens.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 11, 2008; 12:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL Trophies on Display at KCI on Friday
Next: City to Honor Ovechkin -- If He Wins

Comments

I'm not sure I want that image emblazoned in my mind, but there it is!

Posted by: Greg S. | June 11, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah.

Yeah..

Posted by: Jordan | June 11, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

wow.....just.........wow lol

Posted by: Jleftwing97 | June 11, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Yikes!!!

Posted by: Steve R | June 11, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that mental picture....

Posted by: Leeguru | June 11, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone an opthamologist? My eyes are burning...

Posted by: old time hockey | June 11, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Am I suppose to laugh or cry?

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 11, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Ted.....call me I know a good taylor that can let them out...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

It's almost enough to make one root for Malkin...

...ok, not really.

Posted by: The Peerless | June 11, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Why didnt you ask him about GREENS CONTRACT AND HUET AND LAICH and if he talked to KOLZIG AND IF WE WILL BE ACTIVE WITH UFA's, and if he can hire Tortorella and lock him in a cage out front of Verizon Center and if he will refund our season ticket money if we don't win the cup!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!

Posted by: Hockey CRAZY!!!!! | June 11, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I like Ted. He's not afraid to show his human side. That is proof of strength. Nice quote :D

Posted by: mauree | June 11, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@Hockey Crazy

You can probably guess the answers already.

Ted: "I leave those matters to the General Manager."
GMGM: "We don't discuss contracts."

Posted by: tallbear | June 11, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

This is horrible, this idea.

Posted by: Ben | June 11, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ted,

My hot daughter, Joe B and I will be happy to help you out.

Posted by: Bruno Cipriani | June 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@ Bruno,

I'm laughing so hard. You know we're big Caps fans when you can incorporate the friggin TV sponsors like that and get a huge laugh.

Posted by: Jordan | June 11, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

This actually is pretty cool, though I could REALLY miss this image. Being able to laugh at yourself like this takes a self-confident person. To do it publicly when in the spotlight takes cajones. My hat's off to him, and I'll take my pants off and give them to him right after he's finished with the photo-ops because, dayum! I'm a far sight in better shape than he is!

Posted by: Greg S. | June 11, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

My bet is there will be a signing or two announced tomorrow night and the awards viewing party. If not then we just wait.

Posted by: Pat | June 11, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@Pat

Tarik doesn't work for the Caps, he works for the Washington Post. If he has solid information I would bet he would report it.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 11, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@ freakinandpeakin

I know he works for the Post. But if he ever wants to get another story from anyone inside the Caps, hes not going to tell us of rumors or potential contract numbers. He will wait for them to become official. Its irresponsible reporting to report otherwise.

Posted by: Pat | June 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Pat. While I would love for some information about movement on contract talks, nothing is going to be said by anyone Official (like GMGM or Ted) and anything that comes out could end up affecting negotiations or would prevent Tarik from ever getting another inside scoop. I know we're all starved for some info, but be patient.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 11, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Anybody going to the vc tomorrow?

Posted by: Steve R | June 11, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

1) Would it be understandable if the Caps decide to put off any contract announcements until after the awards ceremony so not to change focus of the night?
2) Not saying that an announcement is imminent, but we wouldn't expect one to be announced until after tomorrow night is completed.

Posted by: Fauxrumors | June 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I am trying to talk my daughter into going with me so that she can get all of the pucks Johnson gave her during pregame signed.

If I can get her to come I am thinking about wearing my Caps Fly Penguins Cry T-shirt.

Posted by: Kim | June 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Rumor Alert

Ryan Malone was seen eating at Arby's in Ballston Foodcourt with McPhee!!!!!!

Way to wine and dine em Mcphee!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I hate rumor's from anon people...

Posted by: Steve R | June 11, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Romours aside, if Malone really does not go back to Pitt, that is a huge blow to them. IMO, he was a really big part of that line.

Posted by: Grape8 | June 11, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Did you really think that's a real rumor?

Posted by: AP | June 11, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

ON NHL Live today, a rumor of Malkin to the Kings for Brown, someone else and the number 2 pick.

Posted by: Pat | June 11, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I dont believe June 11, 2008 3:45 PM to be a "real" rumour, but it has been reported that Malone wants out of Pitt. That could mean anywhere. I find it funny if they were to lose him since he is such a big part of their team.

Posted by: Grape8 | June 11, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@Pat and Sombrero Guy

By your reasoning there is no point for there being a press. It is the presses job to find out informaiton and report it, from various sources. I doubt Tarik's sources are limited to GMGM and Ted.

Sitting back and waiting for the team to make an official announcement, that is not the job of the press that is what a press release is for. And no reporter worth his salt would be so passive, especially if he could break a story.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 11, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Even assuming for the sake of argument that we were going after Malone (which I don't think we can until after the lock-up period), wouldn't GMGM be talking to his agent? And, even assuming that GMGM was talking to Malone directly, why would they eat at Arby's as oppossed to having food brought in, or Baileys, or whatever.

But more to my first point, I think its a violation of something for them to even talk about contracts, etc. until after the FA period opens.

Posted by: old time hockey | June 11, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@ freakinandpeakin

How did you take that from my response? I said hes not going to report on rumors or potential contract negotiation numbers that would potentially ruin a deal or have him lose trust with a contact he has in the organization.

When there is a STORY and not a RUMOR to break Tarik will do it. But hes not gonna respond to our posts with stuff he may/may not know about contract status and risk losing contacts in the organization. Thats just stupidity if you think that.

Posted by: Pat | June 11, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@freakinandpeakin:

Have you ever heard of the phrase "off the record"? That is used all the time to provide a reporter with inside information, the details, but not allowing him to release it until they are ready to announce. Having the details ahead of time, allows a reporter to write the story a lot quicker than otherwise.

I would imagine that Tarik knows so many things that he has not been able to share with us. As most all good reporters have.

Relax. The information will come. Getting the info today versus tomorrow does not make October come any quicker.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 11, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@freakinandpeakin

I really understand how you're feeling, but there is a lot more to sports reporting that publiushing rumors and speculation on contract talks. When something has been official, like statements of interest from Huet and Feds, Tarik reported it.

Also, everything "CT CAPS FAN" said....

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 11, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Wonder where Chief got to. Haven't seen a "midget sucks" rant in a while.

Posted by: Steve R | June 11, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I have no clue what you all are talking about. I was responding to Pat who wrote:

"Guys Tarik has been great reporting stuff but if something was close and he knew it do you honestly think hed tell us and risk it getting out there and ruining it. He wont report anything until its signed and done. He has to be much like GMGM when it comes to reporting on contracts or he could lose trust within the organization."

Pat said that Tarik would sit on a story on the chance of ruining a contract and has to be "like GMGM when it comes to reporting." My point was and still is that Tarik's job is nothing like GMGM's and it is not his job to sit on a story and I doubt he would. I have never said anything about wanting Tarik to report rumors.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 11, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

That rumor is false about Malone. They were eating deep dish pizza at Sabaro!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey

It would be a violation of human decency for guys that loaded to eat at Arby's food court for a business meeting!

Posted by: El Cheapo | June 11, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Point System topic -

Any chance we can get a 3 pt system in place next year?

I would love
3 pts for a win
2 pts for a shootout win
1 pts for a shootout loss

If you win in OT it is an outright win/loss. I dont think teams would dog it in OT and play for the shootout with 3 pts at stake.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 11, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Why would Pitt take Brown?
Its not good business.
He just signed a 6 yr contract with the Kings.
Thats a lot to take on.

Posted by: Tommmy | June 11, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@SA-town,

Under your theory, the team losing in OT would get zero, but one point for losing the SO. I think that's a recipe for ultra-tight boring defensive overtimes as teams try to "hold on" to the one point. Maybe the two point swing (between an OT win and a shootout loss) is enought to encourage them to press, but I'm not so sure.

Posted by: old time hockey | June 11, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@old time

I hear your point, but it would be obvious that winning games in the first 65 minutes would be key. It would make the shootout important, but not as important as it is today.

I also think that a win in the first 65 min's should mean a little more then a shootout win.

If a team is going to play to "secure the point," they wont be in the playoff hunt for long if that do that often.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 11, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse