Quote of the Day and More on Game 7

(Jonathan Newton -- The Washington Post)

Here's the quote of the day, from the most quotable guy in town:

"The star power is there, and they haven't underperformed. It's not like you're playing in the Super Bowl and you have the best running back in the league going seven carries for 12 yards. There's no disappointment here."

-- Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau, on Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby

Also, here's an early look at Barry Svrluga's story setting up tomorrow's Game 7:

There have been precious few events in Washington sports like the one that will take place Wednesday night at Verizon Center, and the heroes in years past have names like Dale Hunter, a Washington Capitals great, because he once scored an overtime winner to keep a season alive. Painfully, the villains include names like Pat LaFontaine, the New York Islander who unforgettably turned an April morning miserable for Washington fans, because he scored in the fourth overtime, ending a never-ending game, not to mention the Capitals' season.

Click here to read the rest.

Update: Love this cartoon from ESPN.com.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 12, 2009; 5:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Gonchar, Penalties and Stick Support
Next: Video: Wise, Koken on Washington Post Live

Comments

BELIEVE!

Posted by: goskinsgo | May 12, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Two disclaimers:

1. I know it is cliched to harp on the officials, and makes you sound like a whiner.

2. The Penguins deserve credit for playing well, and dominating at times.

BUT:
I don't think any objective observer could conclude that the officiating has been fair in this series. It is a flat-out double standard by which the Pens can hook and interfere like this was the 1990's, while the Caps are repeatedly sent to the box for soft, borderline calls (the most egregious example being the Pens PP with two minutes left in the third last night). The power plays in this series are now 30-19, and it is NOT because the Caps are playing 50% dirtier.

But I'm not just bringing this up to complain. There is something we can do about it. At the game tomorrow, we should boo every questionable call as loudly as possible. I don't care if it sounds like poor sportsmanship; there is no question that this sort of thing influences refs. In a series between two closely matched teams, biased officiating can swing the balance. If we can shame the refs into dropping their double standard, this will tangibly help the Caps succeed.

Posted by: christiansonm | May 12, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

thought on the previous thread:

i went to read about hockey and a video (or not) fight broke out!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 12, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

christiansonm- Totally. I mean screw it, it's Game 7 so anyone who is lucky enough to get to the game tomorrow has to do everything they can to help the Caps win. This means chanting Fleuuuuuuuuuuuury, saying "waaaaaaaaa" when Cindy touches the puck (did that ever actually catch on? bc it should, that would be hilarious to hear) and booing the refs. I want to hear you all tomorrow over the (probably biased) commentators I am forced to listen to. loud and proud.

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ -
Yea seriously. I think that was the biggest debate since Brash got suspended. Very odd. All I wanted was bullet points and someone did that in the first comment. Ya'll need to save your energy for tomorrow night!!

LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 12, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I love the Caps.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Its a conspiracy, the Refs called more penalties on the Caps because they wanted this series to go 7 games to boost TV ratings. Just kidding, all I can say is that the NHL is not disappointed that this series is going to 7. And either am I. As long as game 7 isn't decided by a bad call,

Posted by: bigschu8 | May 12, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

CAPS > pinz

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 12, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Put Nyls and Brash in for Clark and Beagle

Posted by: meikesports | May 12, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Put Nyls and Brash in for Clark and Beagle

Posted by: meikesports | May 12, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Reasoning behind that?

Posted by: mrszilla | May 12, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Last game clark and beagle played a combined four minutes... i think brashear can stir things up much more than clark can and nylander is a veteran, so he knows how to play in these games

Posted by: meikesports | May 12, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Repost from previous thread

@redbirdie

I get it. You're probably named Robin (or possibly Roberta). I once worked with a Robin whose given name was Roberta. There were lots of Robins in my age group but not as many nowadays, although my younger daughter once had a friend named Robin. My elder daughter had a friend from elementary and HS whose mother was named Robin. The friend is actually 6 days younger than Ovi and has 2 cousins who are within a week of her in age.)

I see your an O's fan but not a Cardinals fan. I myself am both a Cardinals fan and an O's fan. After that, a Nats fan (along with whoever happens to be playing the Yankees.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

On the penalties that everyone is discussing.

It's interesting that the Caps and Pens were close in penalty minutes during the regular season yet there's suddenly such a disparity now. Did the Pens suddenly become more disciplined as players this series or are the refs biased (or are the Caps just not generating enough offense)?

It doesn't seem like the officials are always consistent in making calls.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Not trying to a token Nyls hater, but honestly I don't think he contributes much. Be that because of Bruce's coaching style, or loss of confidence, I don't know but I haven't seen much this playoff season (and solely playoff season) from him.

Think Brash might be good for roughing the Pens up, but considering how the refs have been calling this I would be concerned about sending him out. If he's playing it will be with a huge target on his back, for the refs, not for the Pens. Hate to use this word because its hockey, but it might not be prudent.

What minutes Beagle played I remember liking him a lot, he seemed to keep the puck, winning battles etc. Don't see any reason to take him out.

Clarkie is a bit rusty, and while I don't recall any fantastic plays from him last night, I also don't remember any bad ones. Might be a little fuzzy due to all the panic attacks the game caused me, but if my recollection is correct, I don't think there's much cause to take him out. Also think having the C out there is kind of nice :)

Posted by: mrszilla | May 12, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

yep, I'm a Robin (with red hair, no less!). I know a couple other Robin's, but not many. I'm in my late 20s, and thankfully my parents kept their sense and didn't go with the "Robyn" trend.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

the strangest thing about Nylander is he looked very good in pre-season and the first few games. Really looked like he would be a major player and had come back from surgery 100%. And then its like a switch turned off and he never got "it" back.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I really don't think we see Brash in there tomorrow. Beagle did not get many minutes last night, but he's doing a creditable job, working hard, and he can put in more if called upon to do so.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 12, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I would've went insane had the Pens scored on that final PP. During the second period in the live chat I said the refs would probably give the Pens a PP with 2 minutes left in the game. And they did, it wasn't a suprise at all though. It's really ridiculous. Semin got hauled down earlier right in front of Fleury, no call. Yet they would make a weak one hand slashing call on Brooks with 2:02 left, in a 4-4 tie, in an elimination game for one team. It's so wrong, and then they would add more time on the clock, giving PIT one more chance. It's crazy, I really wonder how the refs will be tomorrow night. :/

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I posted something but it wasn't allowed, so here is the censored version:

Boudreau is the definition of class. Did you read his lips during his little hissy fit? He called the ref, Dennis Larue, a "******g frog"

Posted by: SC87 | May 12, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Keith Aucoin scored. 1-0 Bears. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Bruce said lots of things last night in which I could clearly read his lips. My personal favorite was when he unleashed a "What the [sounds like puck] was that?!"

I personally thought it was great. Maybe Larue (and McCreary) should actually, I dunno, pay attention to the actual game and not the imaginary one in their heads if they don't want Bruce rattling off some profanity at them.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

SC87: Whatever. I think any coach would go crazy if a cheap penalty was called with 2 minutes left in a elimination game.

And Pittsburgh fans are also the definition of class. They say we have no class after some things were thrown unto the ice after game 5, and what do they do after Steckel scored? Throw stuff onto the ice. SC, I'd also like to know why you were talkin' trash about Varlamov after the game. You said "he gave up 4 goals and a softie to Eaton!" Well, your goalie gave up 5 goals on 24 shots. Varly has outplayeed Fleury. Fleury hasn't had to do much and he's struggling. I thought Fleury was better, but I guess not.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Bruce doesn't yell that much so when he does I know its BS (unlike some other NHL coaches.. I'm looking at you Tortilla).

You tell em Bruce!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 12, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

@SC87

Yeah and your golden boy Sid "low blow cant man up and fight someone face to face" Crosby is a real classy guy...

You sir.. FAIL

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 12, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 12, 2009 7:09 PM |

I just reported you again for working around the censors.
How about that swine?

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 12, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

One thing is for sure...the refs will put the whistles away tomorrow save for extremely blatant and automatic penalties. The series will be decided on the ice. Thankful to have this day off to get my head right. I got my tix, see you all there. 3rd Game 7 in 2 years, doesn't get much better.

Whichever team wins tomorrow will deserve to win the series. It's been that good.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 12, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Dave the Caps fan,

I disagree. You would have thought the whistles were going to be put away in the 3rd last night, but they called a ticky tack penalty against Laich.

Oh, STOP BEING SO NICE ON PENSBLOG! THE ARE THE ENEMY!!!!!

Posted by: Leeguru | May 12, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Bruins leading Carolina 2-0 after the 1st.

Anyone got a Bears update?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

The Easter Epic was classic (and heart-breaking). I have to work till 10PM tomorrow. Even so, hope the Caps finish the Pens before then.

Posted by: KlayKey | May 12, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Bears still up 1-0 they are currently killing a 5 on 3 though

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 12, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

KlayKey:
you should quit your job - at least for tomorrow anyway

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 12, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie: LOVE that second picture. I almost want to use it for my desktop.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Make that 2-0 Bears

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 12, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

rachel, go ahead. my husband would be thrilled! (he made those for me)

Carolina just scored, now 2-1, Bs leading.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

go Bears! down with the baby pens!

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

YES 2-0 BEARS! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a link to watch the Bears game live online?

Posted by: graig82 | May 12, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie: It's just that my dad may be a little weirded out by it, you know? But I love it.

Bears win, then there's no way we lose tomorrow night. Not sure who I'd want though. Carolina still looks better than the Bruins, although Bruins have a 2-1 lead.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

is it wrong of me to just not care at all about the other Eastern Conference game? I'm getting twitchy waiting for the Detroit game to start.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

3-1 bruins

Posted by: Leeguru | May 12, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

rachel, yeah, seeing that picture might be a little weird without context. It makes no sense without the "God kills a kitten every time the penguins win" photo.

graig82, I think it you go to the ahl website, you can buy a one-day viewing pass for $8. Or you could be cheap like me and just frantically click refreash here in hopes of an update.

Bruins just scored, now 3-1. I want the Bruins, and I want them bad. I want the Caps to thump them and I want to spend the rest of my life bragging about it to my Boston sports obsessed family. (except my dad, because my dad has embraced the Caps)

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I want to maintain our home ice advantage though, so maybe I don't want the Bruins and especially since the first two rounds for us will go 7 games, the home ice advantage is so important.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

You can listen to the Bears game for free on sportsjuice.com; I got to it from the Bears website. So I'm listening to the Bears game online while watching the Bruins-Cardinals game on tv :)

Posted by: tbhayf | May 12, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Canes coach sorta looks like Bylsma.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I love Michal Neuvirth. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

because I'm bored....Leaders in various categories

point

1. Ovechkin (11)

Shutouts
3. Varlamov (2)

Wins
3. Varlamov (7)

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

If we win tomorrow,we're hoisting Lord Stanley!

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 12, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Go Bears!!!

It was sooo nice hearing Steckel on NHL Live this afternoon, caught up amidst the media circus following this series. At least he is brought into it for very good reasons :)

And to think BB picked on him at the beginning of the series saying something about how its not like he has to prepare the Steckel's of the team for the media circus that is about to enter the series. I am really loving it. So happy that there will be a game 7 tomorrow thanks to some of our unsung heroes (Steckel, Laich and Bradley)

GO CAPS!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | May 12, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Bruins score again.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Bruins/Canes going to 7.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah 4-1 after 2...I thought Boston looked so good in Game 5 if they somehow could pull out a win in Raleigh they would have a good shot to complete the 3-1 comeback. Of course, Cam Ward could steal a game at any time and I expect Carolina to give a better effort in a possible Game 7.

What period are the Bears in?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 12, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Can the Canes come back in the 3rd tonight?

Posted by: MReilly9 | May 12, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Dave: The Bears are still currently in the second intermission. Third will start very soon. They still lead 2-0.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't EVER want to hear about Sidney Crosby being a whiner after reading the comments from Caps fans on this website. The NHL has a "conspiracy" against the Capitals? Please. If there was a conspiracy, Ovechkin would have been suspended for at least a game for taking out the top scoring defenseman in the playoffs and the quaterback of the Penguins' power play with a knee-to-knee hit. If they were biased against the Caps, Ovie would be penalized for leaving his feet when he hits (please watch the replay of the hit on Orpick last night). Semin stepped up his play? Yup, he took two major dives last night, the first to negate a 5-on-3 (watch the replay), his biggest contribution of the series so far.

Would the series still be going if Gonchar wasn't hurt when Ovechkin stuck out his leg (watch the replay)? And Ovie's excuse was that it was an accident, that Gonchar is his friend? Please, Ovie was so overcome with remorse he was arguing with the referee when the penalty was called (again, watch the replay). For all the abuse Crosby takes, he doesn't run players or engage in charging or boarding. If the Caps move on after this extremely tight series, it will be because Gonchar was on crutches.

The refs have sucked, but they've sucked both ways. Dan Bylsma has handled it with class, Boudreau just won't shut up, and neither will their fans. It's been a great, great series, and the only let down has been the disgraceful sniveling from Washington.

You want fair? The Penguins should have broken Ovechkin or Backstrom's hand with a two-hander after Gonchar went down.

Caps fans need to take a breath and enjoy the best playoff series anyone has seen in a generation.

And please, please heap as much abuse on Crosby as you can. It just makes him play even better. Just ask the Flyer fans.

Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I see the penguin fans have stopped crying long enough to come troll here again.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

17:30 to go

Hershey 2
WB 0

Posted by: ouvan59 | May 12, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

HEY GBosch1aolcom,

Get a Life!

Posted by: MReilly9 | May 12, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

@Red Birdie

Don't forget the most impressive stat of all. In the playoffs Ovechkin has been on the ice for 26 goals for the Capitals and only 5 against. That is an amazing stat.

Posted by: ouvan59 | May 12, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I guess our Pens troll completely forgot about Staal's dive or Crosby's dive or Orpik's spear, slash, crosscheck, etc, or Gill's trip, Fedotenko's goalie interference, Malkin's trip.

And by the way, the call on Crosby on the 5 on 3 was legit and it was Steckel he tackled. But keep on whining and crying just like your captain. It suits you.

Posted by: ouvan59 | May 12, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

GBosch1aolcom: I bet Bylsma would've reacted the same if his team was facing elimination and got called for a cheap slashing with 2 minutes left in a tie game.

"I don't EVER want to hear about Sidney Crosby being a whiner."

Good luck there. It'd never happen. =) It's his label and he can't get rid of it. Not only did he have the guts to complain about the hats to the refs but he also had the courage to tell it to the media. Is he stupid? If he wanted to get rid of the whiny image of his, why would he tell people he asked to make an announcement? Oh yeah, everytime Crosby got brushed up against you could see him whispering in the ref's ear. BTW, it's cool you came to visit. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know who the referees are tomorrow? or do I have to wait for my STH Game Notes e-mail?

As long as it's not Bill McCreary!

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 12, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

13 left 2 to nothing Bears
playing defense

Posted by: majiksea | May 12, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

GBosch1aolcom: I guess you forgot about the crosscheck by Kunitz on Varly. Yeah, that was totally okay.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I think we'll have to wait until tomorrow for the ref list. But its never the same guys two games in a row. Which spare us McCreary and his Russian hater self, but does run the risk of someone like Devorski.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@ GBosch1aolcom

We have been over the Ovie hit a hundred times over. Whatever. If Gonch can't take a hit in a contact sport.....go play tennis.
Go right ahead and talk about diving.....Crosby is the King at feeling contact and falling down.
Crosby has played great this series, Ovie had played better. Here is to one hell of a series, may the best team win!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 12, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Is Kerry "The Hair" Fraser even officiating anymore, haven't heard his name in a while.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 12, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

3-0 Bears!

Posted by: MReilly9 | May 12, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Bears now up 3-0

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 12, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Hershey: 3:0

Posted by: fnralch | May 12, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to part of the game on the radio last and night when Crosby got hit: "Crosby gets hit and he goes down. and now he's complaining. Sidney doesn't like to get hit." understatement of the century!

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

9:11 left
3 to nothing

Posted by: majiksea | May 12, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the Bears updates......

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 12, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Why the Hell do I have an advertisement to visit Philly on the side of my screen? Now I have to sanitize.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 12, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Fraser is still officiating. I don't recall off the top of my head if he's doing so in the post-season, but I think I remember him doing a Caps game. But I may be remembering wrong. There was a rather obscene amount of "oh god, not overtime!!! beer, and then an even more obscene amount of oh my god, WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!beer, and its really messed with my poor little brain cells.

Carolina scores. now 4-2, Bruins.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Canes get one. It is now 4-2 Bruins with about 12 minutes left.

Posted by: MReilly9 | May 12, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Good Karma with the Bears ! 3-0 late.

Posted by: SavedByZero | May 12, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Lookin good for the Bears win/Caps win trend

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 12, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Canes losing 4-2 but have apower play and have some Mo on there side. bout 10 minutes to go.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 12, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not watching B's/Canes. It is as lopsided as the score? Is Cam Ward human or were they legit goals?

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 12, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Bears on PP, 4.5 min left, still 3-0

Posted by: fnralch | May 12, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm really hoping for Milwaukee-Hershey CC Final. I live in Milwaukee so would never get another chance to go see the Bears live. Admirals have a game 7 tomorrow nite

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 12, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Bears still up 3-0 with under 3 to go. It's keep away time in Hershey!

Posted by: Terptwin | May 12, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Bears 3-0 with three to go!!! lets hope the psychic connection continues!!

LETS GO BEARS AND LETS GO CAPS!! omg, this is making me way too wound up for tomorrow's game... T minus 22 hours...

Posted by: mrszilla | May 12, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Hershey, almost there!!

Posted by: oo7 | May 12, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the box I see Bears have 6 PP's to WBS 2. Looks like things work in reverse in the AHL :)

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 12, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Bears 3-0, 2:36 left........

Posted by: fnralch | May 12, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

$10 says GBosch1aolcom's email address is GBosch1@aol.com SPAM HIM

Posted by: my92agsr | May 12, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

lol who cares about the AHL Game 7, it's all about the big leagues...the two series will not mirror eachother

Posted by: SC87 | May 12, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Same score, 2:00 left in the game.

Posted by: Terptwin | May 12, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

BEARS WIN!!!!!!!!

Posted by: graig82 | May 12, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

One minute left in the period. One minute!

Posted by: Terptwin | May 12, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

bout 1 min left.. same score.. this game is pretty much Iced

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | May 12, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

graig82--You know better than me. I'm just tracking the game via theahl.com.

Posted by: Terptwin | May 12, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hershey wins 3 to nothing

Posted by: majiksea | May 12, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Bears won 3-0!

Posted by: fnralch | May 12, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

They were legit, JS. Boston is playing like demons.

Posted by: oo7 | May 12, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I ended up spending the money, so I was watching it live.

Posted by: graig82 | May 12, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

GREAT JOB BEARS!

Posted by: WCAPS1 | May 12, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

And now it's official. The Hershey Bears have stormed back to defeat the W-B Penguins in 7 games!

You can sleep a little bit better Bruce. Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: Terptwin | May 12, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Looking alot like a game 7 for the B's and the Canes......

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 12, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Bears! Let's hope the trend holds true.

Posted by: SavedByZero | May 12, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Well done Hershey! Go Bears! Woo Hoo!
How many shutouts does Neuvy have at this point?

Posted by: oo7 | May 12, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth: 3 shutouts in playoffs. Wow.

Posted by: fnralch | May 12, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Caps are set in goal for many, many years down the road!!!!

Posted by: graig82 | May 12, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

SC...you feeling a lil queeeeezy about the bears winning?? do the baby pens whine like the pig pens?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 12, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

So glad to hear the news on the bears! Omen No. 1 done. Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 12, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

B's Cans knotted at 3

Posted by: Sonyask | May 12, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87

SC87 is scared!!!!!! And he's mad the baby Pens lost. Haha.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy was the #1 star! Congrats Neuvy!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Rache216,

The Kunitz hit was in the middle of a scramble for a loose puck in the crease in the final seconds. He was fined for it. It had no effect on the puck going in the net because Varly got back into postion for the shot. Ovechkin got two minutes for a dangerous play that took out the top scoring defenseman in the playoffs. He was trying to lay Gonchar out with a charge, but when Gonchar pulled up, Ovie stuck out his leg (check the replay), a dangerous play for which anyone else would have received a suspension. I'd say the Caps are a fine and a pair of crutches ahead.

My point was that the refs have been bad both ways. To say there's a conspiracy against the Caps is just ridiculous. Crosby is knocked down in front of the net in the first period last night, held there, and cross checked in the back of the neck while he's on the ice. No call. An untouched Semin's skates mysteriously slide out from under him twice and he draws two bogus penalties, including one to nullify a 5-on-3 when the Caps were on the ropes. It was his best play of the series so far. Every call or non-call you can cite, I can match it.

If the Pens had been called for slashing with two minutes left in regulation, Boudreau would be saying "Hey, if it's a penalty in the first two minutes, it's a penalty in the last two minutes." He's not so much complaining about the last call, he's trying to get the next call.

Like I said, if the NHL had it out for the Caps, why is Ovechkin playing while Gonchar is on cructches? If Gonchar was playing, the series would be OVER. Ovechkin charges and/or leaves his feet illegally on most of his big hits, and it won't stop unti he's penalized or he ends someone's season or career.

This is a fantastic series, one that will be talked about for years, no matter who wins. Please, make the whining stop!

Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@GBosch1aolcom

Are you sure you watched the same game as the rest of us? Laich got 2 min for the cross check on Crosby that you so vividly described. "Untouched" Semin's skates? Oh please, do not humiliate yourself...

Posted by: fnralch | May 12, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Hurray for Hershey! So happy for them! One baby pens team down, one pens team full of babies to go! :)

I hope our boys can do it!
Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | May 12, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

GBosch1aolcom:

"The Kunitz hit was in the middle of a scramble for a loose puck in the crease in the final seconds. He was fined for it. It had no effect on the puck going in the net because Varly got back into postion for the shot. Ovechkin got two minutes for a dangerous play that took out the top scoring defenseman in the playoffs."

That is not the point. The point is that Kunitz's excuse that he was "following the puck and it just accidently got up there." is total bs. Anyone who's seen the replay knows it was intentional and it was dangerous.

"Please, make the whining stop!"

No, you make the whining stop. You're the one coming on here and bringing up a story that is weeks old and no one cares about it anymore. Stop complaining about the hit.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Crosby has NEVER been called for diving. Not once. Look it up.

It's a BS tag started by Ken Hitchcock when he was coaching the Flyers and picked up by Don Cherry (consider the source).

Whatever. Rag on Crosby all you want. The Flyers fans have raised it to an art form, the Caps fans are amateurs at it.

One thing the Flyers fans have found out; have all the fun you can jeering Crosby because it brings out the best in his game.

Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

@GBosch1,

For all the carrying on about Gonchar's injury, he was actually skating in practice today. It will be a game time decision tomorrow as to whether he plays or not. So the fears of Gonchar's injury being serious were misplaced.

And, it's not as if Pittsburgh hasn't been taking enough runs on our guys without getting penalized. Kunitz' slash on Varlomov and Orpik's various stuff that he's done to Semin.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Bears. Let's hope the big boys do it tomorrow as well.

@ GBosch1aolcom

I don't feel like writing a long post arguing with you, but you're looking at both plays through the Pens colored goggles. Completely biased.

Kunitz's cross check was a very dirty play. Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar an accident. The results of the actions don't matter. It's the intent that counts.

"He was trying to lay Gonchar out with a charge".

You meant to say a hit. Last time I checked these were allowed in hockey.

"Ovechkin charges and/or leaves his feet illegally on most of his big hits".

This is a myth perpetrated by fans of other teams because they have to find some reason why their players get regularly creamed by Ovechkin. Hits hits are completely legal and clean. The reason he hits so hard and they look so spectacular is due to his combination of superior strength, balance, speed and timing.

Posted by: ranndino | May 12, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Ovie- "It's one of the biggest games of my career," he said. "I hope my biggest game will be this year, just later."

WELL SAID! keep it going caps!!!!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 12, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Not only did Laich get 2 minutes....it gave the Pens a 5-3 advantage....Maybe we can tell Ovie to stop hitting the Pens to hard, they dont like it.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 12, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Bravo Bears! Great comeback. Hope the Caps game tomorrow is similar (and a win)!

I nearly went out to the store at lunch time at work to purchase some Hershey kisses to pass out to everyone at work to cheer the Bears onto victory. Except I figured I had too much to do and could not afford an extra long lunch. (It's been rush project time for me at work, lately.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

What is funny and a bit ironic is a Pens fan complaining on the Caps site that he does not like complaining. Fortunately or unfortunately these are not physics laws we are dealing with so there is much interpretation.
I would like to say to any Pens fan that there is much more hatred for OV on the Pens site than for Crosby on the Caps site. Everything is viewed through Pens hatred and it is disturbing. You all twist everything he does as if it is malicious when most of the time he is just having a little bit of fun and asking you all to bring it. The fact that your hatred of a player goes beyond the game is childish. Wishing him dead or to end up like his brother is beyond low class. So please keep your dribble to your own sites. Personally, I love Ovechkin but I also like to watch Crosby play. We are lucky to be able to watch all of these great players.

Posted by: Richmondcapsfan | May 12, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

@ GBosch1aolcom

I just remembered that I had a lengthy, but civilized argument with a friend over email regarding the Ovechkin hit on Gonchar so I don't have to write a long reply to you. I can just copy it here. Enjoy.

---

I didn't say that Gonchar stuck his knee out. I said that he didn't manage to get it out of the way in time. He moved his body causing Ovechkin to miss the shoulder hit (which is what he intended to do so his intentions were to make a legal hit), but his leg was still in Ovie's path because it all happened so quick. So once again, while it looked like a dirty hit it wasn't intended that way so was a pure accident.

You have really believe that Ovie is an evil a-hole to think that he tried to take out a fellow Russian player and his friend like that on purpose.

Your suggestion that Ovie didn't try to avoid contact with a knee is simply unreasonable to me because you're asking him to do something that was impossible. You have to remember how fast it happened. As much as Ovie is an amazing athlete he simply had no time to move his knee away once he missed the shoulder hit. There was maybe 0.001 of a second between the intended missed shoulder hit and their knees colliding. Your soccer analogy is incorrect because first of all we don't try to check each other like in hockey and second the difference in hockey is that just before you hit someone you're gliding. Your feet are already set and you're just carrying momentum into the hit. If you watch Ovechkin's hits the reason he hits so hard is not only because he's a big, strong mofo with a speed of a freight train, but also because he has great balance. The way he achieves this balance is by setting his feet far apart as he's gliding in for a hit after the last stride just before the impact. If you watch it again that's exactly what happened here. He had his feet set wide apart as he was gliding in and his knee just happened to catch Gonch on the knee after Sergei moved out of the way of the intended shoulder hit. As I've said before there was just no time for Ovie to avoid contact there because the time between the missed shoulder hit and the knee on knee collision was so minuscule.

So to me it is clearly an accident just as Ovie himself stated.

Posted by: ranndino | May 12, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

ranndino: Could not agree with you more. The reason why Pens fans say all Ovechkin's hits are illegal is because he creams all their players and they get mad so they say it's a dirty hit. Mostly all of Ovechkin's hits are legal. People just can't take them cause their wimps.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin consistenly takes more than two strides and/or leaves his feet. It's not a myth, just watch the replays. It's a penalty because that's how players get seriously hurt. It's not about being able to take a hit, it's about ending someone's career.

Ovechkin's knee-to-knee wasn't an "accident." He was trying to charge Gonchar and when Gonchar pulled up, Ovechkin widened his stance and straighted his right leg which struck Gonchar's knee. Watch the replay. He might not have tried to inure him, but it was clearly a knee-to-knee, and had it been the Caps' Beagle or the Pens' Boucher, they would have been GONE.

Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

GBosch1,

Don't know if you saw the stats below from majiksea, but, in my opinion, they are pretty interesting:

Last night during the game I was amazed to hear that the Caps had been called for twice as many penalties as the Pens. I was sure that this was not the case during the regular season, but just to be sure I looked it up. Regular season: Caps 414 minor penalties, Pens 397 minor penalties, Caps 29 major penalties, Pens 40 majors, Caps 447 total penalties, Pens 447 total penalties, Caps 1021 minutes, Pens 1106 minutes. No matter how you add up these numbers they don’t add up to 32 penalties called on the Caps to 18 called on the Pens during the playoffs. In the first 7 game series the Caps were called for 31 minor penalties, in the Pens first 6 game series the Pens were called for 32 minor penalties. There are two explanations for this: #1 the refs have been doing a terrible job calling the games or #2 this is the way the NHL wants our series called. These are not small inconsistencies, these are glaring inconsistencies. Maybe the Pens have made a magical turnaround to a team that commits no penalties, but I don't believe it!

Posted by: majiksea | May 12, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

That being said, I completely agree with you that 'This is a fantastic series, one that will be talked about for years, no matter who wins.'

I think we all may be a bit biased towards our chosen team. Malkin, Crosby and Gonchar are fantastic players. Ovi, Backs and Green just happen to be better; GO CAPS!

Posted by: HappyWeagle | May 12, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 10:04 PM |

This is sooo funny. It's like ur eyeballs are still frozen from the the winter still.

If you are going to call charging tell that midget Cooke to stop taking 3 strides & launching himself up towards our Caps.

Or how about Orpik quit stooping down to elbow Semin & taking runs @ OV.

But hey - we are whining & some how it's effective in the 2-1 ratio in penalties ur pinz' advantage.

Thanks for the memories. We'll c u in the rearview mirror after tomorrow night.

U can come back for the post mortem tomorrow. But I doubt u will.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 12, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@ GBosch1aolcom:
I just watched all the replays and you're a retard.

Posted by: fatdime | May 12, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

The Kunitz hit... It had no effect on the puck going in the net because Varly got back into postion for the shot.Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 10:04 PM

R u qualify to make that statement?
U mean after he cleared the cobwebs? Not sure if you've been hit in the neck/head but it kinda stuns you there for a few secs.

He was trying to lay Gonchar out with a charge, but when Gonchar pulled up Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 10:04 PM

If he pulled up then what law of physics do u see cause Gonch looks like he is still moving forward & twtiched @ teh last moment as he saw OV barreling down on him.
If anything, he reacted quicker than OV bodywise as OV was still in his original line.

Ovie stuck out his leg (check the replay).Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 10:04 PM

U see a leg in stride as one that is is stuck out? Once again how are you qualify to id this? R u a kinesiologist of some sort?

I'd say the Caps are a fine and a pair of crutches ahead....it's about ending someone's career.
Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 10:04 PM |

& I say Orpik, Cooke & Kunitz should have been suspended for slashes & headshots.
Guess we're even then as the score indicates.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 12, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

pensblog isn't the only on that can do photoshop:

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 12, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Redbirdie: That kitten killer cracked me up! HAHA!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 12, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

How do female Caps fans deal with their pussy husbands dressed in ghey red shirts crying about penalties 24/7. You all might trying to grow a pair.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | May 12, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Please stop arguing over the Gonchar hit. yes, it's unfortunate that he was injured, but if Ovechkin hit someone like Gill or Boucher, there would not be as much of an argument over it. Hopefully Gonchar plays tomorrow, but if he doesn't, the Penguins are going to have to play solid defense to make up for the lack of a great PP quarterback (Letang is good though). Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, let's forget everything that's happened in the series (hard to because it's been so good) because now it's down to one game. I don't think anyone has momentum right now so it's up for grabs. Hopefully it's not a dud of a game!

Posted by: SC87 | May 12, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jumpy66 | May 12, 2009 11:01 PM |

U mean like the balls on the fat rhinos that u all call 'women' @ the pinz game?
Everytime there's shot of a 'phant I can't tell between a male or female.
You ALL have balls for sure up there!

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 13, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

@redbirdie - lol on the kittens thing, well done.

@rachel216 - "I love the caps" - awww. You'll warm their hearts for sure.

great series. I hope the players play with passion and joy - really enjoy themselves out there, savor the moment. I don't see fit to knock Crosby or Malkin - they're great players - but we've got Ovie and Backs. A big game from Semin tomorrow - talk about timely. He made a great play on the delayed penalty goal - kept the play alive with a lot of grit and skill, then made the pass that made the goal possible...

Posted by: WritingLight | May 13, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

"A charge is defined as taking more than two steps without breaking stride to hit an opponent, or leaving the feet to make a hit. Look it up in the rule book."

Yes you can but you obviously don't understand the rule. If a player has the puck and his moving you can take as many g-d strides as you want to hit him. If he is stationary along the boards you can't. Show me one single solitary hit where Ovechkin has nailed a stationary Penguin after coming from some distance. The play on Gonchar wasn't and never would be close to being called a charge. I'm sorry you find it so offensive that Ovechkin plays hard and hits you guys. Could you guys cry and whine a little more?

Posted by: ouvan59 | May 13, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

@ GBosch1aolcom

It's a waste of time arguing with you because you see what you want to see. Ovechkin didn't move his leg at all. He was gliding and there was simply no time to adjust. The whole knee on knee collision was caused by Gonchar trying to avoid the intended shoulder hit so yes, purely accidental.

And no, Ovie does not leave his feet when he hits people. You're the one that should watch the replays. His feet leave the ice only after the impact which if you knew something about physics would not surprise you. To people who are biased and try to find something illegal in his hits (and who obviously skipped physics in school) it looks like he leaves his feet prior to the hits. That is simply a fallacy or in more colloquial terms a load of horse crap.

Lastly, Kunitz hit Varlamov as hard as he could in the only place that was unprotected (his neck) with the puck nowhere near him. That's a definition of a dirty play and an intent to injure. How you can argue that the Pens goal should have still counted is beyond me. It's completely irrelevant whether Varly got back in position for the shot. What Kunitz did is completely illegal (it's called cross checking) so is a penalty and took place BEFORE the goal was scored. That's the only part that's relevant. Hence, the goal should have been disallowed with Kunitz getting at least 2 minutes for cross checking. On top of that he should have gotten suspended, but I guess in the NHL attempts to injure are fine as long as they don't succeed and luckily Varlamov wasn't seriously hurt.

Posted by: ranndino | May 13, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse