Quote of the Day; Sid Out; ATL Blown Out

Olie Kolzig isn't expected to be in net tonight, but he did a pretty good job Friday of describing the vibe in the Caps' dressing room heading into tonight's Southeast Division showdown with the Panthers.

"The confidence is flowing in this room right now," the veteran goalie said. "You could tell [on Thursday night]. There have been a couple of games like that, where we've fallen down 2-0 at some point and come back to win. It's just a belief that we have now. Bruce [Boudreau] had to reinforce after the first intermission that, 'Hey we can score goals. So don't be disappointed that we're down 2-0, just play the game that we can play'.

"Right after that we tied it up. We have that belief now. We're not cocky and we're not arrogant. We're just quietly confident and starting to realize that we're a good hockey team."

"To see where we've come from, from being eight games under .500 to possibly getting back to .500, that says a lot about how far we've come."

Indeed, the Caps can move to 21-21-5 tonight as Brent Johnson goes for his second win in two starts against the Panthers this season.

Florida rallied in New Jersey last night to beat the Devils, 2-1. (Tonight, by the way, will be the Panthers' third game in four nights.)

Here are a couple of other interesting developments from last night that could affect the Caps:

*Sidney Crosby suffered a high ankle sprain and won't play Monday when the Caps visit the Pens, who have defeated Alex Ovechkin and Co. six straight times. Crosby also won't be in the All-Star Game.

*And Atlanta, your former Southeast Division leader, got blown out in Buffalo, 10-1. I don't want to say it's the kind of loss that can wreck a team's season, but ...

Exelby called it the worst game he's ever played in. Johan Hedberg, who started in goal, was pulled, then came back in the third period, said it was the worst game since he joined the Thrashers.

Update:There has been a change to the lineup: Jeff Schultz will play tonight and Steve Eminger will sit, I'm told.

That's it for now. I'll update with a lineup around game time.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 19, 2008; 11:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Johnson to Get Start (s) and Schultz to Sit
Next: Tonight's Lineup vs. Florida

Comments

Playoffs

Posted by: strungout | January 19, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

4-3?

Posted by: Vlad | January 19, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@ strungout

Yea, you know those games where the fans have to pay twice as much as they do now and all of sudden everyone's a caps fan.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Awwwww, Sydney fall down go boom?

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@Vlad,

That's my guess too.

@Lee,

It'll be a Sid love fest at the ASG.

Posted by: Steve R | January 19, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

What is NBC and Versus going to do now that Lady Syd has an ouchie?

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry to hear about Crosby, I know this is good news for Caps fans, but not for hockey fans, he is a great player, and as a hockey fan I like to see the games with the best players on the ice. The Penguins vs Caps game will not have the same attraction for me.

I am happy that BB is planning to rest Olie and play Johnson more often, in my opinion, I think that is the best move he can do under the present circumstances, it will give the Caps a better chance for a good run at the Southeast division which I think is the path for the playoffs.

Posted by: Opita | January 19, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Gabby deserves all the credit for this team's newfound confidence. So glad we have him at the helm. Can't wait to head to the VC tonight. Go Johnny! Go Caps!!

Posted by: Jill | January 19, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@Jill,

Looking forward to going too. Hopefully we get some wings!

Posted by: Steve R | January 19, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

If you thought coverage of the outdoor game in Buffalo was too Crosby-centric, wait until the All-Star Game when the NHL mandated tributes to the absent Sidney the Kidney begin.

Replays of his goals and assists this year will be shown at every stoppage.

Announcers will be required to state (while Crosby highlights are projected onto the ice) that this year's all-star game is inferior because the Kidney, the greatest athlete of all time in any sport, is unable to participate.

During the first period intermission, Gary Bettman will announce that Paul Ranger (who went into the boards with the Kidney) has been given a lifetime ban from the NHL, which is seeking to make Ranger's offense a capital crime retroactively.

Posted by: Joe B | January 19, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a clue what "fleece helmets" are? I have tickets to the Bruins game & am trying to figure out what that giveaway is.

Thanks.

Posted by: Steve R | January 19, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Joe B., you mean Ranger wasn't executed last night in the locker room by the NHL staff?

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R
Google "Fleece Helmets" then click images to see the variety of them.

Posted by: opita | January 19, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

10-1? Wow, that sound more like a bad baseball game. Talk about getting destroyed.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 19, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The NHL wanted to, but could not find Ranger who had removed his jersey and was pretending to be the stick boy.

Posted by: Joe B | January 19, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Corbie will be out just means the 'Guins fans can cry about not winning. Excuses, excuses. Cry me a Three Rivers.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 19, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Stop picking on Sid. He's a great kid and loads of fun to watch. And, it was Ovechkin himself that turned me on to Malkin when he was still playing in Russia (he's awesome). You can't blame the NHL for pushing its top talent...as fans it's in out interest to bring in more fans. I'm looking forward to a long rivaly between Sid and OV and since our guy signed for 13 years and theirs only 5, I hold out hope that the two will meet in the SC finals some day. Both guys are class acts and I hope to see them both hoisting the Cup a time or two.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | January 19, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

According to the 'Times' Eminger is out and Schultz is in.

Posted by: Sam | January 19, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Maybe there's been a change. I'll check.

Posted by: Tarik | January 19, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Sid hurt his poor little ankle, poor baby!!!!! Bettman is probably putting ice on it as we speak, reading him a story book, and giving him cookies and milk!!!

This makes me SICK!!!!! Players get hurt every night, and it doesn't make this big of a commotion around the NHL, but Sid hurts his ankle and is going to miss a little bit of time, and the All-Star game, and NHL stops all the other news around the league to cover Sid's bum ankle!

Who gives a crap about Crosby, except for Gary Bettman and the Penguins? No one!!! The rest of the Eastern Conference has to love this! The Pens will most likely drop a few games now, and it gives teams like the Caps a better shot at moving up in the standings.

It's not like Crosby will be out for the year, but him missing about a month is plenty of time for the rest of the East, especially the Caps, can gain major ground in the post-season race, and I for one will gladly take an injury to a top player on a rival team, that should negatively affect that team in the standings, to help the Caps in their push to make the playoffs.

Every team in the league gets injuries, and have to play through them, so its about time the Pens have to see Sid out of the lineup. It will really show that his team is nothing but a bunch of bums without him!

The Pens damn sure aren't the Caps, they can't win without their captain like the Caps can!

Posted by: Matt | January 19, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that does suck about Sid getting hurt is that he isn't a defenseman. Him missing the All-Star game doesn't help Greeny get there. Maybe Gonchar can get hurt too. That would help Greeny get into the All-Star game, and make the Pens blow more than they all ready do!

Posted by: Matt | January 19, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we were sitting next to Emmie's Mom and she said he just called and said he wasn't playing tonight. Who knows - BB could change that.

Posted by: Tracy | January 19, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Matt you're wrong. But because of your post, I won't even bother telling you why.

@TheCapitalist
Nice post :)

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@Matt

But I will tell you this: your laughter at Sid's injury and your wishes that another player gets injured is an embarrassment to the Caps, to hockey, and to sports in general.

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Mauree,

Were you upset the caps did not get that sixth goal for you on thurdsay? and what about the rules for wings and a shootout? If the 6th goal comes from a shootout win, do the fans get the wings?

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@Matt,

Hoping for an injury to get Green into the ASG is just plain wrong on so many levels.

Posted by: Steve R | January 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@Matt; first off you should never insult an injured player, and second a high ankle sprain was the same injury that got semin out so we can't really talk. i do hope this means that the all-star game is changed so vinny plays center iginla plays RW and Ovechkin plays LW.

Posted by: DC FURY | January 19, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought Juice was coming back so Schultz could sit. This crap with Emmy is getting out of control. The kid is too young to be strung around like this. He's got the ability to be a good defensemen. The Caps need to let him play more and either gain his confidence or showcase himself to attract another teams interest. I have to say that I feel sorry for the kid.

Anyway, Caps win tonight, won't predict the score but will predict the win.

Git-R-Done!!!!!

Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: Mitch | January 19, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@Lee,

If the Caps get 6 tonight, you want to join Kay and I for some wings tomorrow?

Posted by: Steve R | January 19, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@Lee

Unfortunately I can't enjoy the sweet/hot taste of the 6-goals victory wings unless I go to the game (live near VA Beach, but planning to go to a couple).

Very good question... I don't know - but I'd say that if you show up after a SO 6-5, how can they refuse?

Here's the "contract", it's not specific on the modality.

Austin Grill pound of wings

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

tonight will be an interesting game to watch. we have not played the panthers well at all the past couple years but hopefully it will different. let's be honest this is a completely different caps team, very fun to watch and soaring on offensive. the defensive blunders are killing us though...that game against Edm should never have gone into overtime.

Schultz is soft as a pillow and should not be playing over Emmy.

Tarik, you said some players read these posts...can you make sure someone relays to schultz he looks rediculous out there playing so soft and turning the puck over. at his age he should have all the energy in the world to play physical and not get tired and make sloppy passes. Emmy is quicker his dzone exit passes are getting better every game.

Other than that the caps look good. Olie and Johnny splitting time is a great idea! more rest for Olie and Johnson can build up some confidence knowing hes going to play more

Posted by: PJ | January 19, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

You know, we all make fun of Crosby for this, that and the other. Making fun of him getting hurt is pathetic. Imagine if he went head first into the boards instead of legs first....would we still be making fun of him?

I think the man reason we all make fun of Crosby, even me too, is the fact that we as Capitals fans realize how talented he is and understand the he is a threat everytime he steps on the ice. Yeah, it's nice to know that he won't be on the ice against us on Monday, but I would much rather him have to miss the game for circumstances other then being hurt. The kid has game and watching the Caps and Pens duel it out every year is always exciting.

Now let me declare that I'm a die-hard Caps fan like most of you know. We make fun of Crosby because he's talented and we're jealous of him. If anything, I'm jealous of Ovechkin. A new 13 year, $124 mil deal, trips around DC on a segway whenever he wants, a sense of humor that cannot be topped and skills that most NHL players would kill for!

Posted by: Mitch | January 19, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken, haven't the caps preety much neutralized Sid the first two games? And they still lost both-They still have Malkin, Gonchar, Whitney, and worse-Ty Conklin who's on a roll. Caps just need to play their game-we're due to beat them.

Posted by: dave | January 19, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't make fun of Sidney the Kidney as much as I make fun of the NHL for promoting him pretty much AS the NHL and everybody else plays for the Washington Generals (led ny the amazing Red Klotz).

Posted by: Joe B | January 19, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

For those who are dissing Crosby or are glad he got hurt, speaking for myself, I am making fun of the way the media and the NHL will handle it. I don't like him, but he does have skill, and I can respect that (even if he has no heart)

And no Steve R., I am afraid the two older girls have something to do tomorrow, so I will be with the baby.

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I thought that Schultz could use a game in the pressbox, too bad. Emminger must really suck.

Posted by: Artie | January 19, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@Mauree,

Sorry you live so far away. Wanted to share this paragraph out of the link you sent me to:

"We're excited about partnering up with Austin Grill on this promotion," said John Greeley, Senior Director of Corporate Sales for the Washington Capitals. "Selfishly, we'd like to see Austin Grill handing out free wings to our fans all winter long. With our defense, we're not going to lose many games if we score six times."

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to the game tonight - hope the crowd is as lively as it was Thur and that FLA is DOG tired from playing 3 games in 4 nights.

BTW, I am not saying boo about Crosby - if that was Ovie, we (and the press) would be going nuts. So instead of jumping on the anti-Sid bandwagon, I am just going to count our blessings!!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | January 19, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't usually post on this, but I saw Matt's post. He is an idiot. I am a Cap fan like the rest, but being happy about an injury to the best player in hockey today is dead wrong. Comeon fellow Cap fans, stop making yourselves look like idiots. If you can't see why the NHL hypes so much on Crosby then you obvisouly aren't a fan of the game.

Sign, a true Cap fan and a fan of the game.

Posted by: fishman | January 19, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Boo! is right this isn't good at all and we would all be upset if it were Ovie and we'd all be upset if Pens fans were laughing about it. I feel bad for the guy. It's tough to be out and not playing.
I think Emmie should be playing. He's quick on the defensive end and he's not that bad of a player. Sometimes he makes bad plays but every one of our defensmen do and they aren't sitting out every freaking game. I hate what the team is doing with Emmie. If you're not going to play him trade him or send him down to Hershey!

Posted by: K | January 19, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Cindy getting hurt means good things for the Caps. We play them soon and perhaps without him we can pick up a win on them. Any team ahead of us needs to begin losing and we need to keep winning

Posted by: The Jet | January 19, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

I'm with you Boo. The #8 plays it's just a matter of time before he get's a little banged up. Let's count our blessings and not pile on Sid. He's great for hockey and hope he comes back soon. Like around July.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

After Crosby got hurt, I wonder if it took doctors 45 minutes to get to him?

Posted by: Sam | January 19, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Schultz needs to sit, I am sorry but that is the truth, he's just...wow is all I have to say about that. I am happy though that Jurcina will be back in, it REALLY REALLY pisses me off when Jurcina sits and Schultz stays in, its just horrible!!!!

Posted by: Puddin_an_Semin | January 19, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@fishman
Please don't associate us with Matt.

Many many bloggers here (and no, I won't make a list lol... you all know who you are) are true fans of the Caps and the game :)

Oh, and come visit more often :)

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any inside scoops on the Metro tonight (Red Line). I'm hearing it could be ugly going and coming from Verizon.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@the jet

A true champion must be able to beat the best team with or without their best player. I for one would rather see the Caps beat the Pens WITH Sid rather than without. There would be much more satisfaction in it.

Posted by: fishman | January 19, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

Thanks.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

They can't send Steve down to Hershey because someone would pick him up on waivers. He's too valuable to let go for nothing. If they thought he could clear waivers, I'm sure they would have sent him down already. My guess is that, much like what happened with Sutherby, somebody has expressed interest in Steve and they're waiting to hit on the right deal. It stinks for Steve, and I think how Steve is and Brian was treated reflect badly on the team, but I'm sure when Steve finally gets to leave, he'll catch on somewhere and be just fine.

Posted by: LP | January 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I may be a jerk for bashing Crosby while he is hurt, but, OV plays the game, takes hits, delivers hits, and plays the way every guy in the league should. Yet, the NHL pushes Sid down everyone s throats, like he is the ONLY guy in the NHL with talent.

Sure, I agree, Sid has talent, but in general, he is a one dimensional guy, who piles up points strictly on assists, and by hiding where no one can play him physical. Sure, Gretzky didnt get hit much, and always led the league in assists, but he was also highly feared as a guy who could puck the puck in the net too. Crosby at best, as an average shot, as NHL guys go, and he will rarely top 30 goals in a season. I don't bash him and wish him harm to be disrespectful to the game of hockey, but because I feel the other young guys around the NHL need more hype and promotion too.

I hate Sid as a player, because he get so much hype for doing nothing but passing the puck to guys who can ACTUALLY SCORE! Hell, it made big news because he played outside, it made big news when he scored the softest shoot out goal ever outside, it's huge news that he fought, and now its big news that he's hurt! What's next? This just in, Sid blew his nose! Is the "Next-One" getting a cold to match his bum ankle??

@ DC Fury
I know Semin had a high ankle sprain, but don't you think that may of had something to do with the Caps and Semin's rough start? The NHL website and every newspaper in the world didn't make his injury big news, yet he is one of the biggest factors in the Caps recent success, now that he's 100%. And he is one of the NHL's bright young stars, why didn't his injury get hyped? If OV were to get hurt, would the NHL media outlets make it the news story of the day? week? month? Because you damn well, while Sid is out, it will be the biggest news story in the NHL! And when he comes back, that will be big news, and when he struggles, that will be big news, and when he succeeds that will be big news, and when he takes a dump I'm sure that will be big news too. Seriously, Crosby is good, but he IS NOT the ENTIRE NHL!!!! He is just a small piece of the NHL, and that is why I don't respect him, or the NHL promotions, or Gary Bettman. They try and build the NHL through a guy who couldn't carry half of his peer's jocks, when it comes to all around ability.

The NHL wants to bring in new fans and build the league, right? So why not use OV to do it? He has a ton of personality, he scores regularly, he hits, he plays a solid 2-way game, and he has more passion and heart than almost every other guy in the NHL!

If I was new to the NHL and I happened to watch both Sid and OV play, it sure wouldn't be Sid that brought me back to buy another ticket, it would be OV! Once the rest of the NHL's fans and marketing, and PR, and Bettman realize who the real future is of the NHL, then maybe the rest of the hockey community will se what I see.

I don't agree with Philly fans very often, but I think they said it best when they chanted, "Beat up Crosby!" the last time those teams played in Philly.

Posted by: Matt | January 19, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@LP

I think you're dead on. If another team has expressed interest in him, he won't play for fear of injury.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 19, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@Matt,

It was told to me by a former player that if Ovie played in Montreal or Toronto he couldn't walk down the street. He would have rock star status. Instead, he plays in DC which as we all know is not a hockey town. Sid plays in Pittsburgh, has the looks and Pittsburgh is a hockey town. Plus he's Canadian. I could care less that Sid is hyped more as long as he brings fans into the game.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@Matt
What can I say... I share your enthusiasm for Ovie and the Caps. For everything else, you're so wrong and have so little knowledge of hockey and so much negative attitude that, once again, I won't bother to answer.

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@Opita
I am sorry about Crosby too, but I'll take it. Yes, making fun of Crosby is ok because he didn't have torn acl or rotator cuff injury. High ankle strain? No big deal, he'll be ok.

Actually would be nice if he were there Monday because with him or without Caps will crush Pens, annihilate them and begin the new era of total domination... :-)

Time has come...

Let's Go, Caps!

Posted by: alexovetjkin | January 19, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@ Matt

I didn't mean to attack you personally, and I understand your frustration in the NHL hyping him, but the bottom line is he sells tickets and fans want to see him. I agree with you OV is great too and the NHL does hype him too.

I do disagree with you though about Sid having an avergae shot. If he's in cold, he knows how to finish and rarely misses. Sid is not meant to be a goal scorer..he "sees the ice" better than most players..in fact I alomst would compare him closer to a Backstrom rather than OV.

Anyway, Go Caps!

Posted by: fishman | January 19, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is giving me crap about the first post I put up bashing Sid while he's hurt, yet the injury had very little to do with him on a personal level and more on the NHL's many media outlets making an injury to him being the biggest news story in the NHL this year. It is bashing the NHL media outlets more than Sid because the guy could use a public restroom, and forget to wash his hands on the way out, and someone sees it, and now thats the news story of the day!

@fishman

I really do have trouble seeing why Crosby gets hyped SOOO much, and a guy like OV doesn't. Do you honestly ever watch Pens games? Because if you do, you will see that Sid is a whiny baby on the ice. He would fall if Schultz hit him! He takes dives. When he decides to get physical, he can dish it out, and then hides behind Laraque, when it get a little rough! He doesn't really have personality either.

OV does EVERYTHING! He shoots, he passes, he scores, he hits, he plays "D", he can dish out hit and take them, he's funny, he has personality! Why not use OV as the face of the NHL? I'd take a team full of OV's over a team full of Crosby's any day!

Posted by: Matt | January 19, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

I've been around the game my entire life, and I have forgotten more things about the sport than most people know, so don't think I have no knowledge of the sport, strictly because I bash Crosby! I admit he's a good player, but I think OV is better, that all. I bash almost every player in the NHL that doesn't wear the Caps colors, and sometimes, when warranted, I bash the Caps guys too. I wish I had 1/2 of Sid's talent, but to say I have no knowledge of the game I love is slap in the face.

Posted by: Matt | January 19, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Sid is good for the league.
I wish he was playing for us instead of the "black chickens" but that's only because we have built a rivalry with those guys. (also good for the league)

I don't wish him injury but I don't want him to beat us either. How one deals with these mixed feelings is the question.

Instead of being hard on Matt maybe we just need to chalk it up to a fan who is a bit "overzealous" shall we say?

Posted by: pmoravek | January 19, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm as sick of the Sid love-fest as the next guy, and I don't think he's anything close to the second coming of The Great One, but the kid's a good hockey player and pretty fun to watch. I'll happily join in on making fun of the pandering and brown-nosery of Bettman and the MSM to Sid the Kid, but I really don't get what some people have against him personally. Now Briere... There's a guy that's worth hating. Cheap-shot taking loser.

We know that we have the best, most complete player in hockey today. Who in the hell cares what the Crosby bandwagon thinks?

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 19, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

New topic:

Who else misses Dwight Scofield?

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@ Esa Tikkanen

Yeah, some hockeytown Pittsburgh is when a little over a year ago, the team was in jeopardy of being relocated! If the Ducks would of got the pick that landed Crosby over the Pens, he would still be hyped! What, Anaheim is a hockeytown too??

Posted by: Matt | January 19, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you Matt about Ovie being a more complete player and we all get frustrated with the lack of media surrounding Ovie. Your post just sounded mean that's all....it's hard to tell what a person means sometimes when its type-written...

Posted by: K | January 19, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@Matt
I said that because, even though you claimed you watched Pens games, it seems you didn't. And you can't grasp the many reasons why Sidney is the most famous (not necessarily better) player, not OV or Kovalchuk or Getzlaf or LeCavalier.

Anyway, don't think tonight it's going to be easy. We have the advantage they're on a back-to-back game. But they need points as bad as we do.

LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Ok, another new topic:

better ice: Cap Center or Verizon?

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Matt:
I agree that Ovie does not get the press that he deserves and that Sid gets more than he deserves. However, the fans seem to be split in the same way that the press is (case in point - all here LOVE Ovie, yet he is not a starter at the ASG ... even last year Sid blew him away in votes, despite the fact that Ovie was coming off being rookie of the year). So you'll get no arguement from me on that - I just don't know if the lop-sided press coverage is due to the press pushing Sid the fans wanting to hear more about him (sounds like the chicken and the egg question!).

However, if Ovie was injured, he would be getting a lot of press, too - just like hw\e did for his contract. Regardless, as much as I like OUR rivalry between Sid and Ovie (I am not sure they feel that way?!?), I am not going to revel in Sid's injury. I agree with Esa Tikkanen - it would be good for us if he could not make it back until July, but there is no ill will intended in that statement - I would never kick a man when he's down. Does that make sense?

mauree:
No list?!? I was so looking forward to seeing your latest list!! After all, I was going for 3 out of 3 (or is it 4 out of 4?!?). ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 19, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think that Ovie will head to the All Star Game sitting at 40 goals? I for one believe he will!

Posted by: Mitch | January 19, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I just signed a Ovie-like agreement with my girlfriend. Unlimited shoes for unlimited hockey games. Both parties are happy - and a little scared too :p

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

fishman shut up,,,,,,,please stop wrinting

Posted by: jhon | January 19, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
was it at 13 year deal? if so, you may want to add a pre-nup!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 19, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

What is it going to take to either send Shultz down to scratch him? Are we going to have to start making a chant during the game like we did to get Hanlon fired?

Shultz is not good enough to be playing in the show. He doesn't use his size at all, and hardly ever makes good plays.

Posted by: Thomas | January 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Boo! No time limits.

She has 54 pair of shoes right now. I counted them. You girls scare me sometimes... Lol imagine write a pre-nup like that haha :)

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
i can honestly tell you that i spend more money on hockey in a year than i do shoes, but then again, i already have a bunch of shoes. anyway, as far as i am concerned, you got the better end of that deal, term limit or not!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 19, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Are you going to get a comment on why Schultz is in and Eminger is out? Especially after Gabby said that Schultz looked tired out there against the Oilers.

@ all:

I have to agree with Opita's post near the top here: a Pens/Caps game without Kid Sid doesn't hold as much fascination for me. As a Caps fan, I want to see them beat the Pens at their best. In fact, how are the Caps going to look, if, heaven forbid, they still don't beat the flightless birds?

While I am not so sure that I have respect for Kid Sid the person, I certainly do respect his talent. He is not one of the people I wish an injury (Tod Bertuzzi for example; or about half the flyers!)

And there is something xenophobic about the way the NHL promotes the Canadian KId Sid instead of the much more engaging Great 8. Hopefully, that is something that will work itself out in the end.

Let's go Caps! Beat the Cats!

Posted by: Clarendon | January 19, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@Mauree,

As long as there is no time limit and you can escape whenever you want, then good for you.

@boo,

Why aren't there more women like you? gotta train my wife better i guess...

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@Matt

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just trying to make a point as to why Sid is hyped more. Easy dude. Go to Pittsburg and ask several people who Ovie is and then ask the same amount of people in DC who Sid the Kid is.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of wings...I remember about 20 years ago if the Caps scored 6 or more goals the fans got free pizza (from Dominos, I think). I recall eating pizza all winter long. The Caps kicked some serious butt in the '80s.

As they are trying to do now. I was really disappointed earlier this year because not only were we losing, we didn't seem to have the zip and excitement we have had for the past couple of years. That kind of spirit seems to have returned, with good results. I know we won't win every game, but the team should still make it fun to watch.

I think we will win tonight v. Florida. Wings? Sure. Caps 6 FL 3 with OV getting 2 goals and Gordo at least 2 assists.

PaulR

Posted by: PaulR | January 19, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@PaulR

It was Jerry's and Bondra kept us very happy.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

19Ëš
30min Metro delays
Sect 100
==============================
72Ëš
Pregame coverage
Comfy couch

Decisions, decisions....

Posted by: keef | January 19, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Allow me to defend Schultz. Being a NHL defenseman at 21 is not easy, and he's not doing a bad job. He has very good positioning, good reach, rarely gets a penalty. And he best does something that many Caps D (including Green) sometimes fail to do: on the opponents rushes, he watches and cares about their chest, not the puck.

Yes, he doesn't use his body as he should in the NHL. I too would like him to be more Prongeresque and scare the $h.. out of the opponents... but Pronger gets many penalties.

The only thing he really need to work on is that he should learn not to be moved by the opponents... give him time, I think he's doing better than at the beginning of the season.

Also: BB knows him better than we do, and he's playing him.

@Clarendon:
Nice post, agree 100%

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Lee:
LOL!!! If she grew up in the great white north surrounded by hockey like i did, then i would say that there was hope for her, but if not, well then you're on your own!! ;-) dating a hockey player back in the day did not help me at all - i drank the Kool-Aid a looonnnngg time ago and have never looked back! but i am not the only one - fellow female fans go to games with me all the time ... although i don't know what their hockey to heels fiscal ratios are?!?

speaking of, a girlfriend of mine is joining me for the game tonight. i am hoping it is a good one - i am expecting that it will be!! if the guys play like they did thursday and johnny plays like he did the game before that, then we should be in good shape. i can't wait for the puck to drop!! LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | January 19, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!
hockey to heels fiscal ratios
lol!!!!

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, any word about why Eminger was switched for Schultz?

@Matt
If (When?) Ovechkin is injured, he will be the top NHL story, same as Crosby. Just look at how many people turn out to watch Ovechkin play when the Caps are playing in Canada. He is being hyped, though not to the same level as Crosby currently, and he is putting butts in seats. Frankly, I'd love to watch an All Star Game with Crosby and Ovechkin on the same line, with Crosby setting him up for some beautiful goals. What's wrong with assists?

Posted by: Gelf | January 19, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

keef:
are you serious?!? what, do you need a ride or something? i am heading out around 5pm ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 19, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Matt-

You have obviously never watched a hockey game, nor watched one where Sid has played.

Ovechkin may become the greatest goal scorer who ever played the game, and hopefully much more. I am thrilled to be able to watch him for another 14 years, but Sid will be the next Gretzky (don't suppose you ever saw that guy play?). The passes he made against the Caps in the October game were incredible, on target, and as fast as OV's wrist shot. Assists may be his strongest dimension, and they are so far ahead of others, it is shameful not to acknowledge how great they are and how great they are to watch. No one on the Caps comes close to passing as well as Sid does (though its been great to see incredible improvement in the Caps passing over the past 3 months). I would speculate that at Sid has twice as many assists as any other player due to great passes, rather than a rebound off a slap shot. OV has an eye for corners of the net from the slot like no other. Sid has an eye for crossing passes like no other. Both are wonders, both are growing, and both are dreams to watch.

Posted by: 121K | January 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@ Esa

Right, it was Jerry's. I'm getting old. Thanks. I have been wanting to ask you about that empty net you missed in the '98 finals. I haven't forgotten that!

Thanks again. LET'S GO CAPS!

PaulR

Posted by: PaulR | January 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Only partially serious. :)

I am certain I'll find myself at the Booth in a couple of hours.

Posted by: keef | January 19, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

ENOUGH WITH THE INSULTS!!!!!! I think everyone has made their points. It is fine to disagree, but there is no need for the personal attacks. Let's all lighten up and relax, already!! After all, it is almost game time!!!!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | January 19, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@keef

C'mon keef we need you down there.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

keef:
glad to hear it! speaking of, i better get ready to go. see ya at VC ...

Posted by: Boo! | January 19, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Enjoy guys... scream something for me too. In italian, like: "FORZA CAPS!" (LET'S GO CAPS!)

*sigh*

Posted by: mauree | January 19, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

One of the reasons Syd gets more hype than OV right now is simply the language barrier. OV's still a bit hard to understand, but his English has improved a lot since he got here. Once he becomes fluent, I think we'll see him marketed nationally much more. He's hilarious, and has much more personality than Syd.

Posted by: Hook | January 19, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@PaulR

It was the blond in the first row. Took my eye off the puck.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@KEEF

The cold weather isn't going to keep me inside!

Posted by: Super | January 19, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

See everyone down there. Can't wait.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 19, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Eminger suks, wish he could play for the Cats, make things better for us!
Matt is right, Cindy plays soft and can't score. He is a great passer, probably the best setup guy in the game now, he may even top Oates in the end, but he IS NOT GRETZKY, he is however Canadian. The serious press about hockey comes from Canada, serious TV about the NHL comes from Canada. Cindy gets press because he is the "Great White Hope". Cindy could only be what he is in the "New NHL". I enjoy watching him, but I like most watching him whine when he gets touched, let alone gets hit. The Pens will lose now because they won't get the calls they get when Cindy is playing, Cindy has become an untouchable. I believe he learned to whine from MaryOh who was the great one of whiners and had the refs making calls when anyone looked at him after years of whining. Good luck Cindy, good luck Pens, would not wish it on you, but stuff happens, deal with it!

Posted by: Bob | January 19, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@Boo

I'm afraid heels have hockey beaten in my heels/hockey ratio. I'm straight out of college and haven't had much chance to spend money on my beloved Caps!

(# pairs of shoes owned: 14. # Caps games attended not paid for by my parents: 0)

Posted by: Gelf | January 19, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@Boo

For the guys going to the game:

Where are you sitting so you can be found

Posted by: Lee | January 19, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

One thing I noticed on the play w/ Crosby when he got hurt. He was so focused on the puck and trying to score on his back, he didn't try to protect himself from the boards until it was too late. I wonder if he does the same thing next time that happens or will he turtle.
I agree with many, Monday's game won't be the same. But a WIN means the same amount of points! BB's done a great job turning things around!

Let's go CAPS!

TED L. for GM of the YEAR!

Posted by: someone else who knows | January 19, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

10-1. Couldn't happen to a better team.

Posted by: Eddie C | January 19, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"Eminger suks, wish he could play for the Cats, make things better for us!"

Yeah, Bob, keep making that joke. Maybe it'll get funny with enough repetition.

Posted by: MikeZ | January 19, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I compare watching Crosby play to watching Michael Jordan play.

If someone breathes on them too hard the referees call a penalty. Same thing happened when MaryOh played, you breathe on the guy, expect 2 minutes in the box.

Posted by: Matt | January 19, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@mauree
I'm sorry man but i disagree with you. Shultz is not good at all. You do realize that most of the time when theres a goal against the caps it's because of him failing to pick up the guy or failing to get the puck out of the zone. Do you even watch the caps game, he can't stop anyone. I understand he has to be good to get drafted and stuff like that, but he's not ready to be in the show. He's not helping the caps out at all. Personally, i think eminger needs more playing time, he hasn't been playing well in the games that hes been playing because it's tough to come back into a game and play 100 percent. You can't expect him to do this when hes only played what 5 6 games this season. Hes better than Shultz.

Posted by: Thomas | January 19, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

sources at tsn say crosby's treatment was "very painful." i think we all know what that means. he cried like a little girl because he had an owie.

Posted by: pgreene | January 19, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

poor cindy crosby. So where is bettman going to keep his lips planted now that cindy's butt won't be available for a while?

Posted by: jim | January 19, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

More thoughts on Beech:

Don't forget that we've had Laing on loan for the last (I don't know how many) ?? weeks from the Bears, and Beech, while not the shot blocking wall of Laing, is still a decent forward.

Maybe Woods is just fortifying the troops going into the end of the year.

Posted by: dogdaze | January 23, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

epswlfnro tzpurxia iadl iekwhm xuod jkspmi jgzpyiom

Posted by: fjsmkac wqfa | February 1, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

psqz hjoxwkcg znutp nluwpbt uodj tguzxpmi hucsydvoe lgntiqk yfmqzlj

Posted by: bclzxywmk mwgfql | February 1, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

zijfq yhesp hwzckx mgwnkojrs fzkwx duvoa svru

Posted by: aivrc uzlnibwqj | March 4, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

xiwlhktb rophs jikozgx vzgmx wdps yuzfpv yezihw http://www.bjehkc.pjuionv.com

Posted by: ogar awpnufgjt | March 4, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse