Rangers' Prospect Cherepanov Dies

As a blog reader pointed out in the comments section, TSN.ca is now confirming that New York Rangers prospect Alexei Cherepanov died during a KHL game today.

Omsk head coach, Wayne Fleming said Cherepanov collapsed on the bench during the third period of the game and did not see anything that happened on the ice that may have contributed to it.
Fleming also said medical authorities tried to get Cherepanov's heart beating again after it had stopped.

Incredibly sad news, indeed. Cherepanov was drafted 17th overall in 2007.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 13, 2008; 3:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fedorov On 'D' (Updated)
Next: Kozlov Injured

Comments

wow that's really horrible.....I wonder what could make a young guy like that just collapse

Posted by: DC FURY | October 13, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Rest in peace, Alexei... God speed.

Posted by: i rock the red | October 13, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

That's awful. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and teammates.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 13, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

wow...sucks. RIP

Posted by: TJ | October 13, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely horrible news.... Wow.

Posted by: Andy | October 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Simple devestating news...RIP Alexei and my thoughts are with his friends and family. The Rangers just lost a great prospect.

Posted by: Mike | October 13, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

DC Fury

An elbow from #68. Really tragic news! My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and teammates.

Posted by: Paul Ashburn, Va | October 13, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

That's to bad....

Posted by: section 405 behind the loud guy | October 13, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Prayers go out to his family.

Gotta feel for Jagr if it was his elbow.

Posted by: Steve R | October 13, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I read about this ... what a tragedy. My prayers go out to his family, friends, and teammates, and especially to Jagr if it was his elbow. Hate him if you like, but this wasn't his fault. I feel bad for him.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 13, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

tarik,
how our the russian caps taking the news? were any off them close with alexei?

Posted by: eak286 | October 13, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Paul Ashburn, Va

Not sure where you read that, but even if I really doubt it was an elbow that killed him, although he might have had an aneurysm or something that got ruptured when he was elbowed.

Posted by: DC FURY | October 13, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

DC Fury

My wife read it on a Russian Sport website. They collided on a line change. Totally accident. Jagr was in tears "Screaming Wake-up Alexi!" I dont read russian but that's what it said...

Posted by: Paul Ashburn, Va | October 13, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

may he Rest in Peace. this is too sad.

Posted by: diehardcapsfan | October 13, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Bad news.....RIP...

Hope it doesn't ruin Jagr.

Posted by: Zman | October 13, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Paul Ashburn, Va | October 13, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I give me heart out to family friends and hockey teammates from my heart RIP.

Posted by: Fan of Him | October 13, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Tragic. He was a very good player. Played in Sweden vs Luc B. in 2007 World Jrs. Think he got tournament MVP or best forward.

Why wasn't the ambulance there? That is their job to be on site. Too late now.

This is a wake up call to all ice rinks and teams to always be prepared.

Condolences to his family.

Posted by: capal | October 13, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow absolutely horrible news for a player who's career was just beginning. He had soo much potential to play well in the NHL. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Posted by: towsoncapsfan | October 13, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

TSN.ca claims the event had nothing to do with any on ice play.

Posted by: TJCAPS8 | October 13, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Paul Ashburn, Va

Jesus....that's heavy stuff right there. I wonder how Jagr will handle it

Posted by: DC FURY | October 13, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

DC Fury,

Yeah I cant even begin how to handle that. Even though I am not a fan of #68 my heart goes out to him. I hope the Cap's head office has caught wind of this and we can give a "moment of silence to him tonight" I know a few of our Players admired this young man as did I. A great loss to the sport.. and his friends and family.

Posted by: Paul Ashburn, Va | October 13, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

(Re-post)

Steve:
I hate to say it, but Jose played WORSE than Olie on Fri night!! (Does that make me not only a Semin hater, but an Olie hater AND a JT hater?!?)

Jim:
I'm with ya ... maybe saying 'hate' is like saying 'bad' but meaning 'good'?!? :-D

Leeguru:
The bobblehead on YOUR dresser? I thought you wanted that for your girls? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 13, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

hard to believe - that's so sad ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 13, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

My apologies for the re-post - I posted before I read. I didn't mean to be insensitive; that really is sad news.

Posted by: Boo! | October 13, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Boo! As you can see from my story, my girls DO enjoy it!

It's always sad when one so young goes so early.

Posted by: Leeguru | October 13, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow...life is so fragile. My GOD be with him and his family. Hope we can have a moment of silence before the game to pay our respects to him and his family. I am sure our russians knew him very well.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 13, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

A blog that Cherepanov wrote 4 days ago, incredibly sad read, it is always sad to see such a young man full of love and life lose his.

Posted by: Colby | October 13, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Incridible sad news. RIP Alexei.

I was hoping the Caps would draft him when he slid to the middle of the first round that year instead of a top 5 pick as most of the draft experts forcasted.

This kind of news just makes you a bit numb to come home from work and read about it for the first time.

Posted by: Riddler | October 13, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Simply echoing everyone here, but this is indeed tragic. It must have been some kind of defective valve, or an aneurism. So sad.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 13, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Mauree, do we have the reflector for this Game?

Posted by: Leeguru | October 13, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

anybody have any idea what channel the game is on? CSN has DC United and CSN+ has football

Posted by: reekie | October 13, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

its on versus

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

GGOOOOAAALLLL!!!!!!!

Posted by: Leeguru | October 13, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Right on! Semin goal. It sucks for me to be a Semin hater right now. Thanks for the funny feedback Boo!

The news for such a young player to die is simply tragic.

Posted by: JIM | October 13, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Did Vancouver just score on their first shot??? These goalies need to come ready to play -- come on!

Posted by: JIM | October 13, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

wow those were some pretty awesome shifts from the caps

Posted by: honed | October 13, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Caps looked good, except on the PP. A little discombobulated there.

Posted by: nadir | October 13, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

if anyone is still wondering, i found an online stream of the game on JustinTV, it is ok, blurry at full screen and the audio is really really quiet. turn your volume all the way up to hear it.

horrible news though. very sad that the rink didnt have proper EMS. This may lead to fewer players going to the KHL (aside from the money dropping away), i would be very worried playing there not knowing if i am going to get proper emergency treatment.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Green score (3rd already, wow)

Posted by: JIM | October 13, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov was just softening him up for Jurcina

Posted by: uncatim | October 13, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

jurcina was just softening him up for semin

Posted by: uncatim | October 13, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Interesting strategy by BB. Put 4-5 guys up front and hope that no stray pucks go back to Brent. It's working.

Posted by: C-Way | October 13, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Normally, it takes 40 shots to beat Luongo.

Posted by: C-way | October 13, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

Yeah, just reiterating the tragic news. I'm sure Jagr just happened to be the last player involved with Cherenpanov in any way before whatever it was that took his life. We can say that all day long but I'm sure Jagr is inconsolable. Like most of you, I'm no fan of #68 but times like this makes me want to jeer at no one.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 13, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Mild can't believe that people used this thread as the game thread, but whatever.

Posted by: Wow | October 13, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

wow, I can't believe the game stats. The Caps are just dominating. I can't wait to watch this later.

Posted by: JIM | October 13, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

BernieWolfeFan:

I'm guessing that you are right and contact with Jagr was no direct cause of the tragedy.
Nonetheless, (and you probably won't ever hear me say this again), I feel bad for Jagr as well as for Cherepanov's family, friends, & teammates.

Posted by: uncatim | October 13, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I am not a doctor or have any medical knowledge outside of what I read in the newspaper.

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy sounds like it's the likeliest suspect. It's the leading cause of cardiac arrest in young athletes and is what killed Reggie Lewis.

Posted by: Joran | October 13, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Has there been an updated COD for Alexi? It's so sad to hear someone so young has lost their life, especially when it's so sudden. The last I heard was a heart attack...and at his age, if that's the truth, it was probably due to an enlarged heart. Which is exactly what the person above me said. Either way, it's so sad and my condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends. Отдых В Мире

Posted by: CappyCaps | October 14, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

I found out about this when one of my best friends, a Rangers fan IMed me. I was hoping that it wasn't true. I'm absolutely shocked. I just watched him play a few times recently through the links posted on the Russian Hockey blog. Cherepanov was a great kid and was off to a great start in the KHL this year. He scored a goal in this, his last game ever to continue his goal streak that reached 8 straight. Who could have possibly thought that his goal and point streak would be stopped by death at 19?!

Just how good was he? In his rookie season in the top Russian league (then the Russian Superliga) he scored more goals than Pavel Bure and had more points than Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk when they were rookies!

My condolences to his family.

P.S. Using this thread for game updates is insensitive and inappropriate.

Posted by: ranndino | October 14, 2008 5:24 AM | Report abuse

if anyone is interested... Alexei did have an enlarged heart, as well as a chronic condition where his heart and other vital organs were not getting as much blood as they should. but there were many other contributing factors, including negligence on the part of the emergency responders, according to reports. some are saying he shouldn't have even been on the ice to begin with. either way, it's very sad and doesn't change the fact that he was taken way too soon.

Posted by: CappyCaps | October 14, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Just read an article on Sovietsky Sport newspaper website. The autopsy results on Cherepanov showed that he had a heart condition. His heart was 3 times the normal size! He should not have been allowed to play professional sports.

Here's a Wikipedia entry describing what it turned he had:

Posted by: ranndino | October 15, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse