Ratings for Game 6

This just in from NBC:

Last night's deciding Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final on NBC earned a 4.4 overnight rating and a 7 share (8-11 p.m. ET), the best overnight rating for a Stanley Cup Final Game 6 in eight years (2000 - New Jersey-Dallas, 5.2/11), a 100 percent increase over Game 6 of the 2006 Final (Edmonton-Carolina, 2.2/4) and the best for an NHL game on NBC since NBC reacquired the NHL in 2004. The rating peaked at a 5.3/9 from 10:30-11 p.m. ET.

Tiger Woods might not be tuned in. But apparently somebody out there is watching the NHL.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 5, 2008; 2:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steeltown Bound
Next: Item No. 3097412 (Updated)

Comments

I know a bunch of people that couldn't watch the game due to those storms rolling through knocked the power out. Luckily I was one of those lucky ones. Good game.

Posted by: usiel | June 5, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Yea people that had cable lost it but SAT customers got it back after 10min.

Like what the numbers. The thing holding the NHL back as far as tv is VERSUS. I have to upgrade to the highest package on dish to get it. No one gets VERSUS. I like when NBC does it. They got to cut loose VS and get it on a cable channel that everyone has.

GARRY BETMAN HAS TO BE DUMB. Tarik do you know why this is. have you every asked TED

Posted by: smartfan | June 5, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"GARRY BETMAN HAS TO BE DUMB. Tarik do you know why this is...."

Posted by: smartfan | June 5, 2008 2:40 PM

Genetics.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan
That's what happens when we let an elf run our league....

Posted by: DC FURY | June 5, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan

VS. Is common in Arlington and Alexandria, and even on HD.

If you live in the sticks like you do, you also have trouble getting a pizza delivered, paved roads, coffee shops, and a decent looking woman within 100 miles of your house.

Posted by: dumbfan | June 5, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, great game. Congrats to the Red Wings. F U Tiger. F U Betman.

Posted by: Zman | June 5, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

If you really want to get P.O.ed, read this little nugget:Hockey fans flex their pathetically low IQs with furor over Tiger Woods' supposed Stanley Cup Finals slight

I hope anyone who follows this link leaves a nice comment for this tool!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | June 5, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Tiger who? Is that some golf club company or a retirement community?

Posted by: TheCapitalist | June 5, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
A few things:
-Nice dig on Tiger
-Congrats on the front page article, tell the editors they have SLIGHTLY redeemed themselves but we'll see what happens after the awards ceremony, camps, and next season etc.
-Are YOU going to drink from the Cup like that Detroit News photographer did? come on, you know it's going to be ours sooner than later. Better start thinking about it.

Posted by: post sports may still stink | June 5, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

That rating would have been higher had I had power last night!

Posted by: KK | June 5, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

who the hell watches golf on tv? if i felt suicidal i might watch golf for like 5 minutes on tv. but i'd rather stab my eyes out with a spork and lick toilet bowls than watch golf on tv.

Posted by: MNMNT | June 5, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I had to watch the game from work, but saw almost all of it. Just glimpses of the ceremony, though. Good game. I thought Pittsburgh might actually tie it up in the last minute. I wasn't cheering for them, but then i greedily salivated over the notion of a game 7 on Saturday night. Alas. I hope that when the Caps hoist, its in DC.

Posted by: oo7 | June 5, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Tiger woods doesn't watch hockey and I don't watch golf so it's a trade off.

Posted by: Joe | June 5, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The responses on the article in travel golf (link posted above) is hilarious. I actually fear for the author's safety. Lesson learned...don't piss off hockey fans.

Posted by: Moose33 | June 5, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Tiger watches tennis...now who in the hell watches tennis?

Posted by: Rich C | June 5, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the wings. They were the best team in hockey. That will change next year.

Tarik - any truth to this; "Osala signed a three-year contract with Capitals in June 2008" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Osala?

haven't seen anything from the Caps on this...

Posted by: pch49 | June 5, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Heck, we didn't have power last night (only got it back around 2 PM today, almost 24 hours out) and we still watched the game! Thank god I still have my battery powered, 2.2" TV!

Posted by: Westmorland | June 5, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I watch tennis sometimes.

Posted by: BRAD | June 5, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the first European Captain to hoist the Cup.
Couldn't happen to a better person.
Azamat & Midget can only dream..

Posted by: Chief | June 5, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I didn't bother posting a reply on that idiot's golf blog because I don't want to dignify his pathetic excuse for a column with a response. In terms of what I would prefer to watch...

hockey>football>college basketball>grass growing>paint drying>my own leg being amputated>golf.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 5, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't watch Tennis. I watch Sharapova. There is a difference...

Posted by: Sombrero guy | June 5, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@pch49

I saw a translation of a finish newspaper that said Osala had been signed. Tarik replied in his blog post from yesterday "4) The Osala deal is not yet signed, sealed and delivered, I'm told. But that doesn't mean one isn't close."

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 5, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Now how's this for ironic:

The Cap's web sight has an ad for Tiger Woods Gatorade.... Things are just not right with the world.

Posted by: Steve R | June 5, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to that idiot's golf blog. The responses were funny. I had to leave one as well. Tiger should have just shut his stupid mouth. Why slam the sport? Just say you don't follow it. I mean, he plays golf and watches baseball. Both of those fiercely compete to be the most boring of sports. What a classless piece of s*it he is. I've go to say though, that the golf blogger's adoration of Tiger is probably as bad as Doc Emrick's love of Cindy Crosbytch. :)

Posted by: Puckdawg59 | June 5, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I like playing golf, but unlike hockey, I would never actually watch golf. As Sombrero said, that's worse than watching paint dry. Sure the NHL has the lower TV ratings of the Big 4, but I think the past few weeks have proven that the NHL can post ratings like everybody else. The ratings for the finals themselves have proven Woods wrong. I had a good laugh at some of the responses, but honestly, he just looks dumb for saying that.

On another note, congratulations to the Wings and they better enjoy their summer with the Cup. It will be in Washington this time next year!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 5, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 5, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

The comment by Woods was noticed by more sports fans then we think. Considering Hockey is more costly to play than other sports, Golf participants are more likely to "watch" hockey in that way. If not anything, Woods probably got a call from Nike in some marketing capacity enlightening him on just common courtesy.

Woods can go eat a doughnut.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | June 5, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Ok, now the season is over. Can we talk about signing the free agents?

Posted by: Danny | June 5, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Danny,
I don't think there will be any major signings until after the draft. Just a hunch but the field this year is not that deep so most of the GMs are probably going to wait for offers from other teams as long as they can. Sure, we do need to get our shop in order but I think post July 1 will be the inking time for us. Again, just a gut.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | June 5, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Few more links to keep you busy:
TSN gives their opinion on the Caps off-season and next season:

2008 All Star All Free Agent Team:

Unofficial RFA & UFA list:

Buffalo & Boston seem to be the only teams with just as few FAs as the Caps. Everybody else is going to be much busier in the off-season (and much poorer by next season).

From TSN, too: Semin increased his value during the playoffs, Laich got an honorable mention. Not a single Cap lost value.

Who's excited for next Thursday?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 5, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Here's another link to keep people busy: The Post's local business blog has an interview with Ted Leonsis. http://blog.washingtonpost.com/washbizblog/2008/06/the_post_200_roadshow_chatting.html

Posted by: Gelf | June 5, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I Dont know if its been said, but I'm gonna say it:

I miss the player critiques on the player pages at TSN.com.

Posted by: oo7 | June 5, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Cullen showed a rather obvious lack of knowledge about the caps. His assessment of Fehr is a good example. So is the fact that he failed to mention Fedorov at all. Thats where the story is. If Fedorov joins the Caps the NHL is gonna see something wild.

Posted by: oo7 | June 6, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Would be nice to land Orpik...

Brooks Orpik, the free agent defenceman who will be coveted by many teams after July 1, has told people he will not re-sign in Pittsburgh if Therrien is the coach. Jordan Staal, the terrific young player who lives in the shadow of Crosby and Evgeni Malkin -- but is poised to bust out as one of the most complete centres in hockey -- is another Therrien complainer.

If there are more, Shero may have a difficult decision to make. Add to that the belief that part-owner Mario Lemieux hasn't been impressed with Therrien's work in the playoffs and that's another problem for Shero.

Posted by: King Huet | June 6, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

@King Huet

what is it about Therrien's style that Orpik and Staal don't like?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 6, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@King Huet - Also where did you read that about Orpik?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 6, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: King Huet | June 6, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Re:orpik and staal,

Unless it is to entice more offers and scare pens mgmt, it is really stupid. Therien gave a lot of minutes to orpik and staal. Basically their value skyrocketed because of therien. I thought orpik really benefited because he essentially became the #1 d-man and now everyone is ready to give him a big raise.

The pens will have to get rid of two of the following guys: malone, hossa, orpik. I just didnt expect orpik or staal to complain

Posted by: o-v-p | June 6, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I havent been very impressed with Therien - if the pens were to replace the coach and go with Torts or Quenville i think they would be a much better team, one that I would not want to face. We as caps fans know how important it is to have a good coach ;)

Posted by: Grape8 | June 6, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I am more believer in a good Coach than ever. Look at Detroit and what Babcock did with them. They are undersized, old, cheap, soft/euro-swedish and underpaid. All of them are overarchivers. Datsky used to suck in playoffs, for a long time he couldn't produce anything. Osgood was better known as Osbad, Swedes were the main concern in playoffs as being soft. So many old guys out there... It is amazing what Babcock did, I still don't believe it. Of course behind him is one if the greatest management teams in the history of NHL: Develano, Holland, Bowman, the best scouts, etc. And that team chose Babcock when Anaheim let him go.

Posted by: King Huet | June 6, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I smile everytime I hear about a top D-man that might be available. We only need one or two, but the more that are available the better for us. And then there is Alzner. I'd like to hear from a reliable source just how NHL ready he is. I still suspect a year in Hershey may be the likely route.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | June 6, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I heard about Orpik not liking Therrien a while back, before the finals even started. Didn't know about Staal though. Its got to suck to be Shero. All those free agents, players hating his coach.
More evidence Pens are going to suck next year: http://tinyurl.com/5uoylj

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 6, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods is an arrogant ass.

Posted by: Jim | June 6, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods is an arrogant ass.

Posted by: Jim | June 6, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

NHL had a great year. Im not a fan of Detroit and absolutely not Pittsburgh but them making it was great for the game. Cant wait for next season!!!

Tiger Woods is really good at golf. But terrible at trying to put down a sport. People watched, a lot actually. I guess he forgets he plays golf. Last I checked not a lot people watch that. Its a great activity but you cant try and down talk a sport like hockey when you play something like golf. No offense to golf, I play and I love it. And I dont think they get 18,000 + on a golf course to watch it either.

Posted by: Jake | June 6, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The Caps have signed Mike Green and Fedorov, deals wont be announced until the draft party next Thursday at Verizon.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@Anonymous

After what happened with Ovechkin's contract, I wouldn't be surprised if a move was held out to be announced at the draft party.

It's called MARKETING!!!! Got to love it!!!

Posted by: SA-Town | June 6, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Now I want to skip class to go. :( Why study finance & operations when there's a perfectly good hockey party/contract announcement to go to?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 6, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

TARIK BRO whats up with this Green/Federov stuff?

Posted by: Jake | June 6, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, any word on any signings? I would not be surprised if that is true and they hold out information until next week. It makes sense.

Posted by: Pat | June 6, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, remember that Ovie's contract was not officially done and poor Tarik had to stand outside in the rain watching Ovie sign the dotted line through a window. It's possible that Green and Fedorov have agreed on a basic framework though.

Posted by: tallbear | June 6, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Does the NHL.com's store know who won the Hart vote? Possible Spoiler link...

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Lost my Internet in the storm, and just getting it back today. For some reason I am having trouble posting on this site.

I wondered if there would be an announcement ala the Season Ticket Holder Party. Keeping my fingers crossed about Green and Fed. However, would also like to hear something about Laich and Huet.

Posted by: Kim | June 6, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Cool. Maybe the NHL.com store knows something about Green, Fed, Laich, and Huet. I have been waiting for news so that I can get my new red jersey. Maybe they can help me expedite my order.

Posted by: Kim | June 6, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

What's going on with HUET, GREEN and FEDS?!!!! (Especially Huet!)

Posted by: Sapper | June 6, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Sapper,

The Caps are not close to signing any of them, I'm told.

Posted by: Tarik | June 6, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

wow, major buzzkill there tarik

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

But it's way, way too early to get concerned. It's only June 6. No one is feeling any pressure.

Posted by: Tarik | June 6, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

the buzz is back

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Thanks, man. You're the best!

Sapper