Record Ratings for Caps

Fans aren't just showing up at Verizon Center in big bumbers. They're also tuning in on television to watch the Caps' remarkable run toward their first playoff berth in five years.

From Comcast:

Last night's Capitals-Lighting game on Comcast SportsNet delivered the Capitals' highest-rated game on Comcast SportsNet since the network launched in 2001, and was the highest-rated Capitals game on a regional cable channel in at least 11 years.
The Capitals' 4-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning was the team's tenth win in its last 11 games and a crucial victory in their battle for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, and drew a peak audience of 62,000 Comcast SportsNet viewers in the Washington, DC market, equating to a 2.7 rating. The game averaged more than 50,000 homes or a 2.2 average rating, and a 2.7 average (37,000 viewers) among males aged 18 to 49.
Capitals' ratings on Comcast SportsNet during the period since December 26, 2007, when Bruce Boudreau became head coach, have increased 166% on a season over season basis, and for the season as a whole, Caps ratings have increased 75% and averaged a 0.7 rating.
Kettler Capitals Iceplex was also quite lively today. I would say two hundred fans attended practice, with many hanging around outside seeking autographs.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 4, 2008; 1:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crunch Time for Caps
Next: Cooke Fined For Hit

Comments

Dont they have jobs??! Who are these people????

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, do you see a possibility of Ovie getting the 'C' next year? I know Clarky is the C-man now, but what do you think?

Posted by: Sam | April 4, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

From the previous ...

Greg:
I agree - they are loose (I saw that face washes, too) - I think that is why they are winning! I think it is interesting that Torts said they were just getting their feet wet - a little condescending, huh? They are playing on an entirely different level than a team that is just getting their feet wet ...

Posted by: Boo! | April 4, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

With the increase in ratings perhaps Comcast Sportsnite will show a bit more about the Capitals during their broadcast.

Posted by: RAFJR | April 4, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

RAFJR

You mean more than just showing the goals and moving on? I'd like to see a much more in depth post game show. Maybe show some of the interviews live, delve deeper into the game film maybe?

Posted by: Yosh | April 4, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

How about Comcast and Cox Cable quite being a bunch of babies and figure out how to get Comcast Sportsnet HD onto Cox Cable. I live 8 miles from the DC border and I can't watch the Caps (or Wizards for that matter) in HD. It's ridiculous!

Posted by: JTG | April 4, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Tarik you forgot to increase the size of your font after the quote. -I proof read for a living.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

WT has Tim Lemke, Dan Daly, John Taylor in addition to Corey writing about Caps.

WP?

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The Caps bandwagoners, while welcome to yell and scream all they like for the home time, are killing me when it comes to trying to get tickets for tomorrow night's game..

Posted by: dez | April 4, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Link to chat? Anyone?

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@Boo

Couldn't agree more. These guys are ready now for the P*** word, and nothing will stand in their way. The trust they have in eachother is tangible. The additions at the trade deadline were exactly what this team needed, not the positions, but the individuals.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Fedorov here next year, or Cooke. I can hear gmgm asking Fedo what it would take to stay here and help develop the next dynasty. I don't think it'll cost $6.8M.

Posted by: Greg S | April 4, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I would be curious to see if they are able to measure the number of fans watching Comcast SportsNet outside of Washington on Center Ice. I would have to think they are getting additional viewers from those "new" Caps fans and of course us out of towners. The biggest bummer I have is that they cut off the feed right after the game so I do not get to see the post game interviews.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 4, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Loving the Caps out West!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 4, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

One of the reasons why the Caps are playing so well for Bruce and the Bolts so badly for Tort is maybe because Bruce is a genuinely nice, likeable guy with common sense unlike Tort who's a complete and utter a-hole. Just watched Tortorella's post game interview on Caps TV.

- What do you think about the Caps and their late run for the playoffs? (paraphrasing the reporter's q-n from what I could hear).

- I don't give a sh#@ about the f-ing Capitals. Don't ask me about the Capitals. They're a good team. That's all I'll give you.

Posted by: ranndino | April 4, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin: Russian machine never break.

Fedorov: Breaks, breaks.

Ovechkin: I know, it's just sounds cool.

Semin: (in Russian) What did he say?

Fedorov: He said his first Russian-made car had no breaks.

Semin: Tell me about it. Oh, I know, he told about this to reporter the other day. He said "You can't stop meh"

Kozlov: He said nobody can stop him, learn English, Semin.

Semin: OK. (murmuring) you can't stop meh, you can't stop meh...

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE READ THIS AND RESPOND!!!!

Alrighty people, I took the liberty in calling Summer's and they said that if 10-20 people come up there then we can watch any NHL games we want with sound. I am bringing someone with me but I am looking for a couple other fellow bloggers to hang out and watch some important games for the Caps.

Hope to hear from you and see ya later!!!

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 4, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Caps are getting good TV ratings because watching the Wizards makes you want to kill yourself.

Summers is nothing more then a glorified Denny's w/ TV's and beer.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

This is what I think it is. Who has Coach B worked with in the AHL? Kids 18 to 25 mostly. Who's he working with here? Same group of kids. He keeps it fun while at the same time works them hard, and they're willing to work hard when it's still fun. Everyone likes to score - or have the chance at scoring. Under Coach B's system, eveyone can score. They're happy campers.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon talking hockey?

Watch for yourself...

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@anon 2:26

Denny's with Beer and TV?
There have been many worse combinations...

Like OV/Backstrom/Flash
or
Curic/Lauer/Curry

Roger I'm with you... Summers

Posted by: JSchon | April 4, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Does it matter if it's a McD's or not? it's got TV and Beer! What more could a hockey guy (or gal) want?

Kornheiser and Wilbon are pompous asses that know nothing about hockey. For that, we can listen to mullet-head.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

200 people? Wow! Could not bring the daughter today (she had a test today - don't even get me started on giving 8 year olds tests on Fridays).

She cracked me up this morning though. She was walking around the house repeating the lines from the Young Guns promotion and saying Unleash the Fury!

Posted by: Kim | April 4, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

ranndino:
I was disappointed by Tort's reaction to the Caps question (although not surprised); MANY coaches and players have been asked the same question and have given it the respect that it deserves. Kinda ties in with his comment that they are getting their feet wet - please.

Greg:
AMEN!! It was not just the addition of the players that made the difference, it was the addition of the people. Frankly, I hope they ALL stay!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | April 4, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm eating my crow now... gmgm did a good job at the deadline. He did a good job getting Coach B.

Damned his hide! **munch**

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

These playoff scenarios are making my head spin. I also find it VERY disturbing that BOS and OTT could meet pre-game and agree to allow BOS to win in OT. That would guarantee (if BOS beats BUF Sat) that they are in the playoffs. If tonight's game ends with BOS winning in OT, protests need to be filed, especially if EITHER team seems flat and unwilling to try to "win."

Overall, I still think our best chance to get in is beating FLA and PITT beating Philly on Sunday. As long as MON beats TOR Sat night, PITT's playing for Home Ice and they have to make the decision...

Do I want home ice, or do I want to keep the caps out of the playoffs....?

Oh poop. PITT might want to throw that game, too.

(Follow up to a conversation on here about a month ago. Uncle Ted was quoted this morning on Elliot that if the caps fail to reach the playoffs, he would consider this season a failure. )

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 4, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Greg S. -- I agree -- no more snide remarks about GMGM from me. I'm thrilled with Coach BB, deadline trade players, and results of several years worth of developmental moves.

Posted by: uncatim | April 4, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Best line ever from Tarik's chat:

Tarik El-Bashir: That was absolutely payback for Cooke's perceived "cheap shot" on Lecavalier. BTW, I think the Lightning should be applauded for squeezing 39 minutes in penalties into 23 seconds. That takes effort.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 4, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Do you think it helped that I had the game on every tv I saw last night at work in the hospital. I got i trouble for yellin at a tv in the er.

Posted by: Dan L | April 4, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I've been reading the St. Pete newspapers. I know I'm biased as a Caps fan, but is this really the guy we want coaching team USA? They article also states that it was justified to attack Ovechkin because Vinny got hurt. That type of coaching at team USA would be a disgrace to the nation. Fire this guy before its too late.

Posted by: Caps423 | April 4, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Dan L:
It helped. All the positivity helps, but don't get fired. We need you to be able to afford tickets.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Let me help you out King Huet.

---

Ovechkin: Russian machine never break.

Fedorov: Breaks, breaks.

Ovechkin: I know, it's just sounds cool.

Semin: Chto on skazal?

Fedorov: He said his first Russian-made car had no breaks.

Kozlov: He said nobody can stop him, learn English, Semin.

Semin: OK. (murmuring) you can't stop meh, you can't stop meh...

Posted by: ranndino | April 4, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Tony Kornheiser is a bigger ass than John Tortorella. And i'm talking big fat ass like Roseanne Barr in her hay day. He's a know nothing...what a jerk.

Posted by: Jake K | April 4, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Have you heard any more official explanation on that incredibly stupid call by the refs that washed out Laich's goal? I can't believe that was actually an official call.

Also, have you heard whether or not the Bolts got fined for that little fracas at the end of the game?

If Leonsis thinks the season is a failure if the team doesn't make it to the playoffs, then how about laying blame on management for taking so damned long before canning Hanlon? He dug them into an incredible hole. Had they won just one or two more games this season, the playoff would be a lock.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | April 4, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.

It takes a man to admit he may have been wrong.

Where's Chief? (uh, I guess the deadline trades didn't blow up the room after all).

Posted by: Hook | April 4, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Hook:
Chief, Puckguru, etc. - they've all gone bye bye!!

Posted by: Boo! | April 4, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

It's so great that Torts is going to coach the US at the World Championships.

We can finish dead last in points and number one in penalty minutes.

Jerk. He's Bob Hartley only with darker hair.

Posted by: Eddie C | April 4, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

question to all:

is it possible to get 3 tickets from a scalper?

if so, is it possible for that to total less than $150?

i've never scalped caps tix so i'm basing off baseball games (which are obviously much larger crowds)...

Posted by: MTB | April 4, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@MTB

Go up there with $100 and you can probably get three tickets up very high. $150 will get you center ice upper level.

Bring $210-$220 if you want to sit low.

Hit Craigslist first though.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hope they're still reading. Maybe they've moved on to the Ottawa site. Some people are only happy when they are unhappy and complaining.

Posted by: Hook | April 4, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I have noticed Chief and Puckguru not here lately. What is worse, bandwagon jumpers on or jumpers off?

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 4, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

If the Bs and Sens go to OT, I think I'll drop over dead. My poor heart can't take much more of this!

I hate those Filthy Flyers and the fact that they can help the Caps by choking gives me one more reason to root against them...GO DEVS!!!

As unlikely as it may be, I'll be praying for the Great 8 to put 5 in tomorrow to get 70!!! MVP MVP MVP!!!!!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | April 4, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@Puckdawg69

I don't think we'll hear any more of an explanation of the call because the only reasonable explanation would be that the ref screwed up by not calling interference on TF in the first place. Once he saw that the goal was scored he figured it would be punishment enough to wipe out the goal without assessing a penalty. Not saying it was the right way to handle it, just saying that's what I think happened.

The NHL, perhaps more than any other sport, protects its refs. I can't remember ever hearing the NHL say, "Well, yes, in fact, he blew the call." YMMV.

Posted by: beanboy66 | April 4, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I NEVER maek msitakes!

Posted by: Bill McCreary | April 4, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Let me help you out King Huet.
Very nice, but the 'chto' sounds more like 'shto' when a russian says it. It is written as 'chto' though.
---

Ovechkin: Russian machine never break.

Fedorov: Breaks, breaks.

Ovechkin: I know, it's just sounds cool.

Semin: Chto on skazal?

Fedorov: He said his first Russian-made car had no breaks.

Kozlov: He said nobody can stop him, learn English, Semin.

Semin: OK. (murmuring) you can't stop meh, you can't stop meh...

Posted by: WittCap | April 4, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

After OV gets all the real hardware this year, maybe Cindy Crysbaby will win the sissy...oops, I mean the Lady Bing.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | April 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm hearing the league has asked the Lightning to provide a medical report on Cooke's hit on Lecavalier. So they are at least investigating it. Stay tuned.

Posted by: Tarik | April 4, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

tortorella is an a hole. someone asked him about vinny after the game and he said "none of you business". actually, it is a reporters business and a simple "no comment" would suffice. and i did see a replay of the hit and in no way was it cheap. i would classify cheap shots as those which are intentionally aimed at vulnerable areas (head, knees etc) or blind hits (player didn't see it). not only did vinny see cooke coming, he didnt avoid the contact. the hit was a clean shoulder check and, it appears, his injury occured after he hit the ice after running a pick for his own player. we really are lucky to have a classy, down to earth coach like BB who doest get his rocks off by trying to demean reporters or start controversy where the is none.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | April 4, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

also, i understand the first goal was disallowed because a cap pushed a defender into the goalie. is that the case? if so, i can find nothing in the rule book which addresses this scenario, other than interference, which was not called. its water under the bridge now but i have never heard that call made and was wondering if that was the case

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | April 4, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Any Chance Dale Hunter can show up to breathe some life into the crowd tomorrow?

It would be nice to see Bondra, Calle, Hunter, Langway, Gartner...any of the old guys rooting with us.

If Zednick comes up that would be pretty cool too.

Posted by: I-A-Frate | April 4, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

It was a total bs call.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | April 4, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I too did not think the hit was cheap but that way I saw it, VL had his head turned back to the left and didn't see MC coming from his right. People keep saying he hurt it when he hit the ice but he landed on his left arm and it was clear that it was his right arm that was injured.

Posted by: beanboy66 | April 4, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

So am I too understand that because it is no 1600 and the NHL office hasn't handed out any punishments that nothing will be levied against the Lightning?

Posted by: Yosh | April 4, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

still not impressed w/ gmgm. think winning came from gabby. i do like recent acquisitions but not sure what was going on behind scenes on this one (e.g. limited choices, other voices) and it doesnt make up for other trades.

Posted by: jim* | April 4, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Now if only Comcast hadn't flexed its muscle here on the Shore and ripped CSN from Easton Cable. As it stands I have to get home to Cambridge to watch games, or go to a bar where they have satellite. But working nights in Easton doesn't allow for much Caps watching...

As for Tony, et al: I get tired of people griping about people jumping on bandwagons. Who cares? In any sport, in any town, you need those people to boost publicity. If Johnny Muckensmear over at McCorp Ltd. wants to wear a red shirt at the office luncheon and pretend he knows hockey for a day, good for him. He might buy some tickets for his kids.

No one is forcing the lifelong hockey bloods to comingle with neophytes. You can still own your esoteric, inner-circle chatter among yourselves. Some posters over the last few weeks have even passively criticized the mass celebration of Ovechkin, complaining that it ignores the rest of the Caps' contributions.

That's ridiculous. Without Ovie, they are in last place. And you think the rest care that he gets so much attention? One day when they're retired, these kids will be able to point at a photo of one of hockey's all-time greatest players and tell the world, "I played with that guy."

Embrace it, and allow those who didn't grow up with hockey sticks or show up at games in years past to embrace it, too. It's not yours alone.

Posted by: scrappledog | April 4, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Just reposting, hopefully there will be more response after the live chat is done but I am still trying to get more people to go to Summer's tonight to watch all of the games.....

Anyone else in?

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 4, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@Roger #94

I'm down for Summers.

Posted by: the ocho | April 4, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I-A-FRATE

No chance in seeing Hunter in Washington w/ gmgm around! gmgm has really screwed each guy on your list including Hunter and many others at some point. Dale won't be around until gmgm is gone. It's a shame, that's a good list of players.

Posted by: Not Drinking the front office Kool-Aid | April 4, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

GMGM did decent signings in the summer though we got lucky with Nylander.

He did great on deadline, the team was really losing steam, but one thing that he really got wrong was not picking up Bryzgalov from wavers.

He is always a bit late, i.e. not getting rid of Hanlon and Kolzig earlier.

But I'd give him B+. Everybody makes mistakes.

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@ Jim

Come on, give GMGM the credit due. All the moves up to this year were designed to get us to this point. He has done a remarkable job with what he had in the past (talent and money to get talent). Players need time to develop and mature. They have found the right players and now they are maturing. I am impressed, not just in the commitment made to the young players but by being able to get good pieces to fill out the rest of the team. Especially with so many key injuries.

If you can't be impressed now, you never will be. Fine to have your opinion, but when the Caps are holding the Cup in the years to come don't come back to say I told you so.

Good job GMGM and Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 4, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

beanboy, check out the reply on ESPN. vinny clearly sees cooke at least a stride before he was hit. i agree that cooke was intending to go after the guy with the puck and vinny got in the way.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | April 4, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"I'm eating my crow now"

Atta boy Greg S.

Posted by: Steve R | April 4, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@Kool-Aid

It's true...our alumni relations are poor. Gartner is in the Hall-of-Fame but cant get his number into our rafters? #6 Johansson should go up too.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Any Los Angeles caps fans know of good bars to watch the games in LA?

Posted by: LA Cap fan | April 4, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

kool aid,
how exactly did gmgm screw each of these guys? im interested. i seem to recall that he traded hunter to colorado for the chance to win a cup, same w/ bonzai to ottawa. i think gartner was gone long before gmgm got here.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | April 4, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@Roger #94

Sorry just seeing your post now. I've talked to the folks at Summers as well (I work right across the street). I've been playing it up on several message boards and it looks like from those I've heard from we'll have 10-12 minimum plus anyone from here, so we should be good.

The setup on Wednesday was very cool and the service was great (and I've heard complaints before but they took great care of us). I'm heading over around 6:15 to 6:30 to see if I can prep them for our group, most of the others will probably spill in around 6:45 to 7. See you there!

Posted by: Jay | April 4, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scrappledog | April 4, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@ Kool-Aid

How did he screw them?

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 4, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I personally think Gartner doesn't deserve his number retired for the Caps. He was GREAT for us, but earned his HOF status elsewhere.

But I also questioned why he went into the hall as a Capital.

I'd like to see him in the rafters of the VC, but I don't think he deserves it.

Calle... that's a different story in my eyes. He should be retired.

Olie will be whenever he calls it quits. Regardless of how he rips the team this summer.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | April 4, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

jim*

get a clue

Posted by: sheesh | April 4, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

My $0.02... we should stop retiring numbers all the way around. Just create a Caps Ring of Honor, start it up by inducting Bondra and then add Calle, Gartner and Maruk.

Posted by: Jay | April 4, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Alrighty, well done Jay, I also see a couple others on here are going.

Encourage everyone to wear some sorts of Caps attire so we can pick each other out better!!!!

See everyone there!!!!

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 4, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Roger, I won't be in Caps gear unfortunately (didn't bring anything to work with me) but you can see what my ugly mug looks like here (in the red jersey next to Goat):

Posted by: Jay | April 4, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@Cap Fan 1
I stand corrected. Thanks. Maybe it was me who was looking back to the left. VL and I look so much alike ya know.

Posted by: beanboy66 | April 4, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
I have not seen Leeguru today - can you please tell him that it does not look good? Sorry! :-( I was told that I should know tomorrow morning - I will post here as soon as I find out either way.

Posted by: Boo! | April 4, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Hang on a minute! The NHL is looking at Cooke's hit? What about the one on Mo? They looking at that one, too?

This is crazy! It's a violent sport. People get hurt. Are they doing this for every injured player now? Or just the big named ones, because when we play against a Jagr, or Crosby, or _____(whoever big name), teams will have to be careful or risk getting a player suspended for touching them.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

so, people haven't had trouble scalping 3 tickets next to each other?

Posted by: MTB | April 4, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

When viewers tune into the game on NHL Center Ice, and it happens that the Comcast feed is what's available, does that count toward the ratings?

Posted by: KevinC | April 4, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

What about the one on Mo? They looking at that one, too?

The one from Tues or the one where a zebra thought he was a lion and pounced? :)

Posted by: keef | April 4, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it was gmgm's fault for not picking up Bryzgalov. I thought that an "unwritten" condition of the Sutherby trade to the Ducks was that we didn't pick up Bryzgalov. Honestly, did you think Sutherby was worth a 2nd rounder. And frankly, I'm glad we ddn't pick him up, I can't imagine this run with Huet.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Jake K | April 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@Jake K

Just have to say this...but if we had picked up Bryz, we probably wouldn't be here biting our fingernails. :)

(Not that I'm not enjoying having Huet on the team)

Posted by: keef | April 4, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

thanks scrappledog thats was great.

Posted by: capsfaninGa. | April 4, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Boo,

I shot him an e-mail telling him to check in here.

Got my p****** tickets in the mail, now one of 8 diff scenerios needs to unfold to make it a reality.... Go NJ, and Fla, and Bos or Ott in regulation!!!

Posted by: Steve R | April 4, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

keef is right, besides Bryz would push Kolzig to #2 much earlier in the season than the last 7 games. And Bryz is rated much higher than Huet.

I don't know about Sutherby stuff, it's all speculation. We'll never know unless GMGM would tell about it on his death bed.

My theory is that GMGM is a gentleman and didn't want Kolzig to suffer. Just like with Hanlon he waited too long. But at least he finally did it in both cases.

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon - can you please inform Greg S. we can't afford FEDS next year - I asked for him first!!!!

Posted by: Greenie | April 4, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

This is funny. It's a blog entry for Darren Dregger of TSN.CA on Cindy entitled "Scoring doesn't come easy."

Some of the comments from readers (obviously Canadians or Pitts fans) are funny in a sad way.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@King Huet, Keef,

Yeah but at what cost? The '08 playoffs? Ovie's 3rd season w/o post season? On and on. GMGM waited too long. Even if all goes well the next few days, the Caps ownership braintrust must re-assess GMGM.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 4, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie

I'm right here! Ask away! :D

I know we can't afford his current salary next year. But he's 38 and UFA. His offers will be lower than his current $6.8 (IMHO). He also said that before UFA season, he's going to have a cook-out with family, friends and teammates to decide what he's going to do (Tarik reported that last week I think). Sounds like it's negotiable. It also sounds like he enjoys playing with THESE kids. So it could come to intangibles. I dunno. But I'd love to see him here next year for a full year, then in the coaching staff someplace.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

GMGM has done a solid job. The team took its lumps over the past couple of seasons but we have many reasons to be excited about the immediate and long term future of the Caps.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 4, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Love this quote from TSN.CA

"But, when it comes to burying those grade A chances, Crosby gets the A for average."

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Sombrero Guy! How was Third Base? lol!

I've had my plate-full of crow over gmgm.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov also brings extra value as a coach. He works especially well with young players, Semin in particular.

Posted by: uncatim | April 4, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy
Sorry didn't make it to watch the 3rd at 3rd Base. Too tight timewise.

If you guys are going to be around Austin for Saturday's game send me an e-mail: austinsteve2000@yahoo.com
(So we don't annoy everybody on Tarik's blog).

You should check out Continental Club on South Congress before your Antone's show. There's a unique annual event in and around there tonight.

Sorry Tarik/bloggers, I'll now return to me regularly scheduled Caps ramblings.

Posted by: austinsteve | April 4, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that there were no fines and/or suspensions handed out for last night's debacle.

Posted by: Yosh | April 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero guy,
Well he's had a decade to learn. Please assess the "solid Job" per year and let me know what ya think. Others, please chime in.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Steve! BTW, I got my [you know what] tickets, too - it was a great thing to come home to after another victory last night!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | April 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Here's a nice comment from a Pittsburgh fan!

No. 7 Author: purepens87
Thanks Caps for giving us Pens fans a chance to watch our team knock out Philly for good. Congrats on the win. Hope you win the SE and Carolina gets the 8. Excellent poise!

Posted by: Greg S. | April 4, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Cap Fan 1
CT Caps fan
Sorry I stepped away from the office, but the details of the how, when and why individuals were screwed by gmgm shouldn't be aired in this type of forum. However I'm sure Tarik is familiar with some of them, it's just a question of whether or not he feels the need or when to write about it. I assure you the list of the screwed is long and talented, as is the number of sources to back my position. If Tarik is interested, I can get in contact with him to provide the appropriate information. We'll see.

Posted by: Not Drinking the front office Kool-Aid | April 4, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I am going to try and make Summers, I am still working and heading to my next appt: now.

Posted by: Super | April 4, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@BernieWolfeFan

I was just sayin'. :)

I was never in the Bryz camp, I was just replying to the original thought about how we wouldn't be in this without Huet.

Posted by: keef | April 4, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

For those talking about Feds and whether he's hanging 'em up next year, check out today's daily dialog. It sounds like he's having too much fun here to call it a career.

Posted by: keef | April 4, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
Glad you thought my latest attempt at Go West was ok.

1 hour and counting folks......

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 4, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Tarik's answers to Feds next season with Caps as time progresses:

Nah

Nah

Nah

Nah

Nah

today: well, if he is willing to take a cut...

btw, Tarik, I doubt he'll get 3-4 mil somewhere, and the only reason is, he'll be 39 this year.

Sign him for 1 year. I think he is good for two more solid years.

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

@keef,
My whole point about GMGM is him getting us to the next level. I don't mean next week, I mean like back in '98. It seems apparent GM thinks he got there then and will get there again using his same formula. Well, not so. My concern is that we have this great young group and he will be static in his approach like before, and again wait too long when adjustments need to be made. Gentleman or not, he needs to put the team first and not any single player, even if it is a kolzig-type. This discussion reminds me of the pre-Boudreau days, geez...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 4, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@AustinSteve

I am actually flying out at 7 am (ouch) tomorrow morning. The Third Base has a really nice set up. Like 30 some TVs most of which are 42 inch plasma or LCD's.

I actually randomly ran into a couple other Caps fans there. One guy is a bartended at Darwin's downtown. The other guy and his wife are just transplants. We had a good time, and happy hour went until 8 which certainly helped.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

OK now that we have everyone's attention, lets get loud! Tuesday was a reasonable start, thursday was a giant disappointment with a very nervous crowd. Come on folks, remember the last time we pushed to the playoffs, when the kids in the VC were holding their ears! It can be much louder than tuesday, lets knock the kitties on their arses with our cheers!

Posted by: Bob | April 4, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Raleigh, N.C. - The Florida Panthers have not won in their past 15 games here. If you believe in psychic power, they will finally beat the Hurricanes tonight at RBC Center. Mary Beth Wrenn, a professional psychic in Charlotte, N.C. since 1987, envisions it happening.

"I do feel the spell will be broken," Wrenn said by telephone Thursday.

"Right now we can spoil other teams' party of going to the playoffs," center Olli Jokinen said. "Our job's not going to change. Being in the playoffs or not, we have to go there and try to get two points. After that, there's one more game in Washington. We want to win that one, too."

As for tonight's game, Jokinen said with a smile after Tuesday's win at Atlanta, "maybe [Caps star Alexander] Ovechkin is going to call us to tell us to get two points."

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to preface this with I believe the Caps are getting in, but I want to put the MVP/playoff connection to rest.

We've all heard the arguments about how you can't win the MVP if your team doesn't get into the playoffs. Here's a post I sent to Joy Russo (ESPN hockey editor, and interviewer for the Barry Melrose Podcast) in response to that line of thought to offer the pundits a different way of looking at it (Tarik, you're more than welcome to use in arguments with Kornheiser and Wilbon ;) ):

>>Hi, Joy.

I know how to frame an argument to Barry so he agrees that Ovie can be voted as MVP even if the Caps don't get in. Barry says that what use is a player if the team doesn't get in, "what good is a player if he helps them when the don't make it."

Well, lets say that Washington never got Ovechkin, and they spent the next five years as perennial doormats, never making the playoffs during that time. Lets contrast that with Ovie this year, helping the team turn around from last in late November to either making it or losing by one point. Lets say they don't make it (I'm hoping that they do over the weekend, but I'll play Barry's theme here). Lets say it's now the 08-09' season and the team's mental toughness and skill is now at a higher level thanks to Ovie's direction and leadership in 07-08 and they now make the playoffs every year over the next five years, even winning a Stanley Cup. In this scenario, doesn't it now mean that he can be considered the most valuable player to his team if his production and leadership leads to the team being playoff worthy in the future, whether or not they made the playoffs this year? Think about it. He takes a team that was ready to play golf in November, and turns them into one of the most feared teams in the league. If I were looking at this like a business man, I'd be thinking that's a pretty good business model to invest in for both this year (if the weekend pans out) and the years to come. He's MVP for my money, how about yours now?

Pete.

Posted by: Pete | April 4, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.

Regarding that TSN blog about Cindy -- check out my post (#133).

I'm Joe B here, but jbernardi on TSN.ca.

Posted by: Joe B | April 4, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@BernieWolfFan

It is my understanding that the Jagr debacle was Ted driven. Once that investment had been made, and Jagr did not play well the decision was made to give Jagr what he wanted and we got saddled with underperforming expensive players. Was that GMGM's fault? Ted's? Jagr's? I dunno.

When I said GMGM has done a solid job, I am talking about the reconstruction. Look at the nucleus of the team that he has put together. OV, Backstrom, Semin, Green, Laich etc. All under 24. Then you consider Alzner, Bouchard, Perrault, Godfrey, Varlemov, Niuvrith etc and it looks like its only going to get better.

Sure it was painful to be as terrible as we were during the three previous seasons but those seasons will be a distant memory as this team moves forward. Those seasons were neccesary to accumulate young talent and get us to the point where we are now.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 4, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Some stats:

Ovechkin tied for the second place in NHL in OT goals with 2g. Green tied for the first place with 3g.

Ovechkin tied for 6th in NHL with +28.

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@Pete

Four (!), not just one, players from non-playoffs teams won Hart in the past. The last guy was Mario.

So it has been done in the past and it shouldn't be an argument. It's just excuse.

The very first article on this debate that I saw was "Ovechkin might be able to get MVP if the team won't make it, but he needs to score 60 goals".

Now he has 65.

Posted by: King Huet | April 4, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@King Huet

I hear you, I'm just trying to drive a stake in the heart of the last legit argument for not awarding the MVP to someone who doesn't make the playoffs. I actually agree with Barry when he says the MVP isn't for the best player, but rather the player most valuable to his team. My argument is that he's not looking past his nose in terms of what the impact of Ovie's season this year means to the Caps not only now, but in the future. He has changed the team. That's a leader, that's an MVP.

Posted by: Pete | April 4, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

kool aid,
sorry, dont believe you. i think you are one of the many guys who think they know whats going on but really doesnt. why not post and example of one incident you claim to know about. you dont even have to use the players name, just what you believe is the issue with gmgm. are you afraid that someone is going to sue you for libel? on an annonomous blog entry? please spare me the dramatics.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | April 4, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Canes score ... :-(

Posted by: Boo! | April 4, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Hola - from Panama!

I told you - by this time, the Caps will need just 1 point to make the playoffs... With the Canes losing, this could be our stop. Either way... we need a win tomorrow night.

F-yeah... I love everyone... today was such a good day... went on the canopy tour, went to the wedding (sneeked out to see some scores), and went to the pool with a bar in it... good day... good job FLA... stay put when we play ya!!!

Such a good day - hope all is well back home!

Posted by: 828 | April 4, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

@ Pete

Not to burst your bubble.. but your point isn't exactly a deal breaker. The fact you bring up "the future" for consideration of the current MVP doesn't really hold water.

A proponent of the concept that the MVP should come from a playoff team, only needs to retort to your argument that in your example, Ovie would then win it next year... when the make the playoffs.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 4, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Hip hip HUEY !!! Canes lose !!!!!

Posted by: Pivonka | April 4, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Hip hip HUET !!! Canes lose !!!!!

Much better.......

Posted by: Pivonka | April 4, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, we have our destiny in out hands.. for the first time all year.

Too bad Carolina won't make the playoffs at all. That's gotta suck for them. That said, who are we rooting for to finish in 6th?

Go Caps.. get that win tomorrow night!!

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 4, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Rooting for Ottawa (they're a freakin mess right now). My best guess is we'll get Boston or Philly. Of those, I'd prefer Boston.

Hey, at this point, we're in control of our destiny. Beggers cant be choosers.

This team is proving itself resilient and deep as each day passes.

Posted by: Pivonka | April 4, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Cap Fan 1
Your statement is irrelevant. You cannot be sued for libel when you have the FACTS and numerous corroborating sources. And people in GLASS HOUSES shouldn't throw stones. What you believe is irrelevant as well. Are you an Attorney, a Wanta be hockey exec, a front office pigeon, or a combination of the three. As stated earlier there is only one person on this who I would share this information with. Enjoy your KOOL AID!

Posted by: Not Drinking the front office Kool-Aid | April 5, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse