Renney out, Torts in?

As many of you have no doubt seen by now, the reeling New York Rangers have canned Coach Tom Renney (one of my favorite quotes). The latest twist, though, is that former Tampa Bay bench boss John Tortorella might be Renney's replacement.

From TSN.ca:

Sources say the New York Rangers and John Tortorella have an agreement in place that would make him the next head coach of the NHL team, but that the Tampa Bay Lightning have not yet been contacted for permission.
A current NHL on TSN analyst, Tortorella remains under contract to the Lightning for the balance of this season. In order for him to become head coach of the Rangers, he requires the blessing of the Lightning. Sources also tell TSN that the NHL's head office is now involved in the situation regarding the Rangers, the Lightning and John Tortorella.

If this indeed happens, the Rangers are in for a shock, I can tell you that much. Renney was about as calm as they come; Torts, well, not so much.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 23, 2009; 2:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Practice Update
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Torts should know a thing or two about managing overpriced talent.

Posted by: Section117 | February 23, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

OK...We got 7 out of a possible 8 pts vs them. Thanks for rolling out the carpet for us Renney.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 23, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, this should be interesting.

New thread bite! From previous thread:

@waitingsince75: I've found that NHLNumbers.com is a fantastic reference point for cap hits and player salaries. It is approximate and goes on a yearly basis, but if you're working in rough numbers like I am, it works pretty well.

Pothier all but cancels Clark out - 2.5 mil vs 2.6 mil/yr. Alzner is about 1.7 mil, and Pronger is 6.5 mil. He's also got another year left on his contract, which means big trouble for 2009-2010, at the end of which we have to resign both Semin and Backstrom and both of who are due hefty pay raises.

Fair enough on "ideal state" discussions, although I'd pair Poti/Schultz and trade Morrisonn. I tend to agree with dcsportsfan1 that we don't make any huge moves at the deadline. Might make a small trade for a veteran D man, but it won't be one of the blockbuster moves.

Come to think of it, that's another good argument for starting Neuvirth twice in this run - vs. Atlanta and @ Boston. We know that BB isn't shy about throwing his kids into the fire to see how they do, and throwing Neuvirth into the fire will give us a really good idea of where we stand in goal for the stretch run and the playoffs.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 3:12 PM

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@ kittypawz:

I agree about Neuvirth, although I'd use Jose @ Boston--those are 2 really important points.

Posted by: PaintDrinkingPete | February 23, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

That could make things interesting in New York. Tortorella doesn't seem to be Avery's biggest fan. On TSN didn't he say that Avery shouldn't be in the league? Rangers management has no idea what they are doing.

Posted by: Stu_c | February 23, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz:
i'd like to see neuvirth twice also. have him play atl and based on that - maybe have him in again on sunday against fla

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Kitty - I don't really trust those sites. I can't tell how many times I have thought something was not possible and then the team (any team) got it done. It has something to do with the daily calcs. I trust the braintrust on doing the best possible job of managing the cap.

But I also think that Pronger brings us a cup this year. They can have two young dmen off the current roster (Mo, Shultz, Juice), any forward (or two) in the system but Bourque, Bouchard and Perreault and a pick.

Nyls develops a hang nail and is out for the year. That should clear the space for Pronger.

Since I am headed off to Stars country for good soon, this is my last chance to see the Caps in a Cup series again. I still care about the future, but not as much as this year. The deal above does not 'mortgage the farm' as some have put it. We still have plenty of depth.

But I have been 'waiting since 75' and want to maximize the chances for this year.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 23, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Kitty - I also agree that if they make a trade it will most likely be for a middling dman, not a blockbuster. But I can dream!

Also, Neuvirth will start this weekend, but not in Boston. If BB does that then I have a newfound respect for the size of his nads. Nothing has slowed him down yet so it wouldn't surprise me. I'm just thinking conventional wisdom here.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | February 23, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@waitingsince75

Ive been saying it for a while now but why would you want to give up anyone on our team to bring in an expensive Dman who has a history of getting suspended in the playoffs. Only to be in trouble with his cap hit next year.

I agree we need some D but I think we can get it from the guys we have and the guys down on the farm. As long our blue liners stay focused we always play well both offensively and defensively. Last night was a prime example and although it was against a rather ordinary team we were swarming and we really played well on both sides of the puck. The same can be said for the Vancouver game at the beginning of the year. When you start to see our guys swarm that's when we are playing BB's system to a T, and i think if we do that consistently then we can bring a cup back to DC this year, without the overpriced suspension machine.

Just my two cents

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 23, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@waitingsince75: Fair enough. Mo/Juice I can kind of see, but Schultz we keep I think. Mo I think goes either at the deadline or the draft.

The cap is based on daily calculations, but broad numbers do help to get an idea of what might work given a little wizardry and what plain breaks the bank. I still think Pronger is more than we can afford to give up - our forward line isn't .that. stacked. However, I do agree that if we deal for him, we have a very good shot at parade planning in June. No guarantees, but. I don't want us to make the Hossa mistake.

As for those of you saying use Jose vs. Boston - I'm not sure it's life-or-death important. If Florida catches us we're out of the top three automatically, and they're seriously hot right now. They are steadily climbing the standings, and doing a fine job of it, I think. I personally am impressed and am reminded of what we did last year. We cannot afford to take them lightly, so I consider the two points vs. Florida to actually be more important. The gap's also smaller between us and Boston.

Also, I'd want to see what happens to Neuvirth if you throw him into a playoff-like atmosphere in a hostile barn like you get with Boston. Florida's nowhere near that intense. The guestion in my mind is "can we turn to him in the playoffs if we need to?"

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

One point I forgot to make: Bruce isn't the world's most conventional coach. We know that. :) He's also got a brass pair. I think he might go out on a limb and do it.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

ah, the Rangers! Drama drama drama. For a few years there, they kept it together enough that the annual end-of-seaon drama filled collapse--complete with high priced talent missing the playoffs by 2 points--was a thing of the past. Looks like we might get an encore showing this year!

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 23, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Please don't ever say you want to keep shultz

Posted by: wgassert | February 23, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@Waiting, would you -really- trade Schultz, Osala, and a pick for the $6M man? That looks a little like the Pens trade to bring Hossa: all the upside's in the very short term, with guaranteed woes on the back.
I think Mr. Leonsis and GMGM hunger to be long-term cohesive and long-term contenders. In which case most of the trades we conjure in here are very unlikely.
Nyls has a no-MOVEMENT-clause (they can't even send him to Hershey for "conditioning"), on an unpandcoming team, in a city with great shopping. Measured in dollars-per-point, he's on pace to make Ovechkin money. If GMGM can move that white elephant, I'm gettin' a jersey with two big $$ signs and a McPhee nameplate.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 23, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I have been watching the Sarge pretty closely recently and am impressed - he seems to taking it up a notch, especially considering his age and salary implictions.

Yesterday was a lot of fun @ the VC!

Is there a way to change one's user name?

Posted by: Chopperdude1 | February 23, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redlineblue | February 23, 2009 4:04 PM

-----------------

Would that be an instant jersey foul, or an shoo-in for the creative jersey hall of fame? Imagine the PASS OR FAIL posting on puck daddy!

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 23, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

It would probably be a fail until the story behind it came out, then a 100% pass.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz:
i see your point about wanting to know what neuvirth can handle. i really do think that BB is more interested in catching/passing bos than looking over his shoulder to see who/whats behind him. i think this attitude he brings is what turned this team around so fast. how do we get better, where do we want to be, etc.
sometimes looking back (at fla) can disrupt a teams focus. BB/caps goal is getting to and winning the cup. i'm guessing it's a good thing the fans in this forum aren't coaching by consensus - we'd probably be behind the isles right now.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who has had a chance to check this story out from TSN, but it show's the "value" of a traded draft pick. Some of our very own young guns (and a past flop or two) are on the list, and there's a big exception, a certain "kid" that goes by the name "sid"

Posted by: superpaqman | February 23, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl:
no powder blue skirt to go with crysby's pom-pom's yet?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ, Wait, you mean we could actually *reach* a consensus??

It might be educational to see how our boy does against the big pressure, especially with Johnny out and Varly still rehabbing in Hershey. Our guys seem to play "protect the keeper" better with Jose on the bench, so it could actually be a good exercise for them to have Neuvy in net for the Boston game.
I guess I'm watching behind us as kittypawz is. Since we did it last season, there's no reason to believe Florida can't go for it this season.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ, I tried! Really I did! I can't seem to find one that works enough to look like it might actually belong there. And I've been having to use Paint, which isn't the best for delicate photo editing when you're used to Photoshop.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl:
you're right about protecting the keeper. varly and neuvy -> 3 starts, 1.33 gaa and a .958 save pct between them. i'd love to see that effort every game with theo in net. somehow i get the feeling that green/mo/& co. think they can pinch a little deeper in the O zone and some of the forwards might not backcheck like they should when theo is in there. BB can put #80 (leonhardt?), our favorite web producer, in net and i'll trust him.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg has a new post up about Mike Milbury and the caps.

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 23, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman

Sid the Kid is not in the article because it covers the 1995-2004 drafts. Sid was drafted in the 2005 draft.

Posted by: docjohnson | February 23, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Why do we get 2 terrible movie references?
I say, South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut, blame Canada.

Posted by: tURBO8 | February 23, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: superpaqman | February 23, 2009 4:20 PM

--------

no, that lsit only goes through the 2004 draft class, which is actually silly, because the 2004 guys lots their potential first season to the lock-out. Which is, of corse, how we ended up with Ovie and Sid fighting it out for rookie of the year. No lockout=Ovie ROY in 2005, Sid in 2006. So perhaps we should be glad there was a lockout, thus denying His Holiness the ROY award.

But if I had done that list, well, I would have stopped at the 2003 class. 2004 guys are post-lockout guys.

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 23, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh yea, thanks Doc and RedBirdie totally missed that part.

Posted by: superpaqman | February 23, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Do we really need a D-man for the playoffs?

Wasn't the Jeff Brown experiment a flop? Does anyone need to bring up Tikkannen's miss? How many playoff rentals have actually paid off?

Sure McPhee has pulled some master strokes out of his hat but history must tell us something.

Just sayin

Posted by: Kiltmon | February 23, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

oh good lord, the spelling errors in my post! EEEK! I apparently put as much effort into my post as the penguins put into yesterday's game. I will now have to pitch an immature and completely uncalled for hissy fit at my keyboard, because all those mistakes must be the fault of the keyboard!

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 23, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I want to keep Schultz. If his job's to bang, he stinks. If his job's to score, he stinks. If his job's to keep the other team from being productive, well...
Schultz is good.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 23, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Kiltmon:
finding the right 'rental' piece for a cup run is probably a little more difficult than finding rentals for a push to make the playoffs. i'd rather GMGM not make any 'mortgage the future' trades/moves for one cup run this year (sorry waitingsince75 - your position is unique). the prospects of this team being good for years to come is exciting.
@GMGM:
don't make any 'hossa' type moves - please. besides, ted says stay the course and follow the plan. one stupid move and you'll be filling out an application at mickey d's fighting for that "do you want to supersize that" position

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ: I see what you mean about looking forward, and that's very true. At the same time, though, I think it's critically important to our playoff planning that we find out this week whether we need to deal for a goalie or not, and the only way we'll find that out is to throw Neuvirth into the fire and see what comes out. Bruce has already proven that he's not afraid to throw the kids into the fire if he needs to.

@jmu_capsgirl: Ohhhh, very true. I hadn't thought of it in terms of them protecting the keeper, but that's incredibly true. Another good point, and one that increases the temptation to start Neuvirth vs. Atlanta and @ Boston.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Aye aye captn

Posted by: Kiltmon | February 23, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Also, I has a pizza. THANK YOU CAPS!

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Why not give Neuvirth the start against Philly? It will give him a taste of what might be coming in the playoffs, they are sure to run at him and get in front of the net, let's see what the kid can do. If it works then we can play him again on Sunday. If not it clears up the no2 slot as Varlamovs when he returns from injury or a possible backup through rade.
Either way Theo should play against Boston IMO

Posted by: Kiltmon | February 23, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Kiltmon, I've got to disagree with you on Philly. That, to me, would be a very baaaaaddd idea. Not sure if you watched the Philly-Habs series last season, but I remember Price getting very shaken up by them before they put Halak in (who had the grill of his mask bent by the butt end of a Philly stick to the face). I'm all for trial-by-fire, but I'd rather see what he can do against a very skilled, less physically confrontational team first before we chuck him to the wolves.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz:
so if it didn't look like neuvirth could cut it and we needed another goalie - how many teams would reject a nyls trade (before nyls could reject it himself). boy - the thought of the moves the 'GM's' here would try to make is mind boggling.
i'm not blasting anyones option - just laughing out load to myself.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"laughing out load"
wow - when you read it the way i wrote it - sounds like i'm from the great white north

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers need a personality behind the bench, it's part of the NY sports team schtick. I guess Don Zimmer wasn't available.

I am happy for Tortorella and again annoyed at the Lightning's new management for the sake of their fans.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 23, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth vs. Philly? HELLS no. Even I wouldn't do that to him. He's not ready for that yet. I'd rather have him vs. Atlanta - maybe having a rookie keeper in the net will keep the guys from blowing the game off and keep them playing at a high level. Also, Philly games tend to run close, and I personally think Theo is money in the shootout.

I guess my question is, is Florida the same caliber of test as Boston in terms of barn atmosphere and team quality? If so, then I'd be okay starting him vs. Florida, but I tend to think not quite. I think Boston'd be a stiffer test.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm just excited we get to see Tortorella's press conferences again! Too bad we're done with the Rags for the season. I always loved watching him flip out.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ: HAHAHA. I lol'ed. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I know that everyone has moved past the Pens but I couldn't resist a blast of insporation:

ODE TO CINDY

There once was a player named “Cindy”
Who whined and whined—really windy!
His throat became sore
And he still couldn’t score
But his hairdo, at least, was quite trendy

Once Cindy went out on the prowl
And punched Alex O on the jowl.
But Alex hit back
In defensive attack:
To the Media, Cindy cried, “Fowl!”

There once was a true fair-haired boy
The NHL’s real pride and joy!
But then Mister Eight
Proved himself really Great,
And took away poor Cindy’s toy!

And this is my husband's contribution:

An ice hockey player called “Cindy”
Ran crying to far Rawalpindi
Because Alex O
Scored during a show
He watched double-screened: “Mork and Mindy.”

Posted by: caraveli | February 23, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz:
i was urprised that BB used varly against Mtl earlier this year. i'd hate to think of what could happen to neuvirth's psyche if (rookie = fragile mindset to me) bos really took it to the caps. the other side of it is - the whole team appears to play a different game when a rookie goalie is in net.
i still think neuvy against atl and fla - theo takes on philly and bos
i'm beginning to think i should be up in a box suite pulling the marionette strings attached to BB
new rule: whatever i say goes (hahahaha)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

If we are going to bring in an experienced D man to win the Cup this year, why not go for a truly proven winner - Scott Niedermayer? He has 4 Cup wins under his belt. For my money, adding an older version of Mike Green to this team is just what the doctor ordered.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 23, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz - You are definitely right about playing Neuvirth against Atl and FLA instead of PHL and BOS. That said, Bruce can be pretty unpredictable, so you never know.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 23, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

ccCapsfan:
if we can have anybody we want - i choose lidstrom. short of that maybe somebody could teach schultz and erskine to throw their weight around a little more. maybe the caps cap guru can find some room and give these guys some bonus incentives - $25 here, $50 there for clearing the crease

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@cc: I'm actually thinking maybe Boston instead of Fla, but I can be argued down. There are good arguments to both sides.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Sidney said he doesn't like Ovie's celebrations and that he thinks he goes overboard... but he must have forgotten the night before when he did the same exact thing after he scored the winning goal against the Flyers. I agree with everyone, It's not that I don't think he is a good player, he is (but not THAT great, lol) It's just him and his theatrics/antics, I'm so sick of them, he acts like he's the only player that matters in the NHL, like for some reason he decides he must voice his opinion that he doesn't like Ovie's celebration, no one ever made him judge, and certainly no one cares what he thinks. I don't know how Pens fans could like this guy, sure he's a good player, but everything else about him sucks! Okay, sorry, that's the end of the Pittsburgh-Washington, Alex>Sid thing, well until March 8th, when we sweep them!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 23, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

rahul_rayray60:
Welcome to the zoo! Jose has been getting a lot more love as of late. If he if keeps playing well everyone will rally around him, so no worries there. It's always nice to have folks comment from the great white north, so don't be shy!

RE: Neuvy, I am guessing ATL and CAR. BB could put him in for one of the back to back games but those are both big teams so I doubt it will happen. We'll see.

Can't wait to hear Torts spouting off again ... should make the rest of the season very entertaining!! :-)

from Steinberg's b(l)og:
Actor D.B. Sweeney - "If Gretzky was velvet, Ovechkin is electricity." Nice.

Milbury - "Best player in the NHL by far, Pierre, I think you've got that right. This guy's passion just lifts his team, not only on the scoreboard but almost spiritually, emotionally when they need it most....When a player like this not only is the most productive player in the league, or one of the most productive players, and leads the league in hits and shots and plays in such an entertaining style, you've got to believe that he's gonna be one of the great ones of all time. You can't say it now, he's got to find a way to win a ring and stand the test of time over the next decade or so. No question, he's on the right track to being amongst the top two to five greatest players that ever played the game." Gag.

Posted by: Boo- | February 23, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I should clarify my last post ...
Milbury was talking about Ovi (surprising he was not talking about Crosby). I said gag not because I disagree, but because it is Milbury. Given the things he has said about Ovi and the Caps before, I don't know whether to think he has finally seen the light or he is full of beans. Either way, he's Milbury so the gag applies.

Posted by: Boo- | February 23, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Boo,

No need to es-plain. All one needs to know is the source. I was at the game but recorded it for hightlights and commentary. I don't know if Milbury will change his tune next week but for now, it seems like he has seen the obvious light.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 23, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

thats funny if torts is the new coach...

Posted by: richmondphil | February 23, 2009 2:33 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | February 23, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be. Speaking of missed news .... did I completely miss this or was it kept quiet: Ottawa GM Murray has been a busy boy.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Torts is a terrible choice, which is good for the Caps. The Rangers panicked, they don't have a bad team and they played very hard for their coach. Sather should either have had more patience or maybe looked at some of his own decisions (zherdev, gomez etc). Redden's a good player even if he's not scoring pts. The Rangers have a good defense, they just need scoring from their "scorers"

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 23, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Tortorella's personality is that of the sergeant from "Full Metal Jacket". He likes to yell like a psychopath at his players during games and practices and the media in post game interviews. He's a completely disrespectful, condescending jack&ss who thinks he's always right and is intolerant of any disagreement. Add Sean Avery to the mix, stir and the Rangers circus is ready to be served to the New York media. This should be hella fun for everyone, but Rangers fans.

---

I don't see any risk in starting Neuvirth twice this week. Theo has set a goaltending standard that makes starting a rookie goalie against any team not much of a risk because chances are that Neuvirth will do at least as well as Jose. Likely better.

Posted by: ranndino | February 23, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1,
I totally agree about Redden. Granted his salary would not have been possible to absorb, but when he was picked up NYR I was abit disappointed because someone like him would have been a perfect stabilizing element to our D. Can you guys imagine him paired with Poti, or maybe Alzner???

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 23, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

lol.

redden sucks and gets payed wayyyy to much. rags defense is pretty bad right now, ask any fan.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 23, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I"m lost, what was Tarik's favorite quote? The link just takes me to the rangers schedule.

Posted by: oo7 | February 23, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

oo7, I think he meant that Renney was one of his favorite quote(r)s. As in, like Laich, he's always good for a sound bite worth including in a story. The link was just to prove how badly they've been losing.

So I'm watching the VS game. There was an ad for the Bolts-Pens game with Crosby talking. I involuntarily gagged at Crosby--like full-on dry heave from pure reflex. I think I've hit the Pens-hate level of the average Caps fans.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
I saw it, too ... they should just have Vinny in that commercial.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Boo, It was awful! I was like, "Aw, Vinny, you need to play on a better...*blech!* Crosby!"
Speaking of awful, the Sharks had better be thankful that Nabby's been anything but. They're getting out-hustled by the Stars.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

And somehow I missed BSuts being traded to the Stars. When did that happen??

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
It's kinda like when you think that you are going to drink Sprite, but it ends up just being seltzer water - blech!

I think Suts went there a couple of months ago.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

i wish we still had sutherby, nicest/coolest player i have ever met in person

Posted by: _stevo | February 23, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

You're exactly right, Boo! Its a reflex at this point.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

is there a difference between --boo-- and boo--?

Posted by: _stevo | February 23, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Really, Johnny? Really? Woooooowwwww. Our team is ridiculous.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

that was pretty dirty by setoguchi

Posted by: _stevo | February 23, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

stevo:
The difference is which computer I am on ... darn cookies! BTW, I had a pretty cool Sutherby encounter - I agree that he is a really nice guy.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

@stevo

Was thinking the same thing...nasty

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 23, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

OK, what are you guys talking about? I'm not watching anymore - what am I missing?

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Caps ranked No. 1 at ESPN.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 23, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask:
Wow ... #1 ... I never thought I would see the day ... even after they had the Cup!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 23, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

@Boo

Sharks scored on nasty wrist shot with 9 to go. Now 5 to go.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 23, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Could see it coming after they made #2 and yesterday's game, but it is goofy.

Not quite as good as getting the cup!

Posted by: Sonyask | February 23, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

ah boo, i see. thought it was the same but wasnt sure.

sutherby is cool as sh*t. i was with a friend and we ran into a bunch of caps at clydes (heward, clymer, brads, johnson, peetinger), so i walked past and said good game to a bunch of them and most of them just nodded at me. sutherby i thought was checking out my friend (girl not a guy) but when i said good game. he actually started talking with me about the game for like 10 minutes and bought us a beer. Since then i was always kinda lissed we traded him

Posted by: _stevo | February 23, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Course when they say Sid the Kid's going after the cup, it's a different thing altogether.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 23, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Something's wrong at ESPN. How is that possible? I mean, really? Does this mean that maybe Melrose is actually taking over in NY? Not that we're not amazing, but really? #1? hmmmmm...

Unrelated, with the anniversary of the Miracle on Ice, I really got the urge to watch "Miracle", but didn't have it. And my roommate bought it today! I didn't even tell her I wanted it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

*pissed not lissed

Posted by: _stevo | February 23, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, NHL.com says its official. Tortorella interviews for everybody!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 23, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

#1 at ESPN? Has the earth stopped spinning? Are dogs and cats lying together? Has Mike Milbury stopped being a self-centered little dink?

No, seriously, I kinda feel like the earth has been knocked a little off-kilter! In a good way, of course.

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 23, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind, all, nobody has a better L10 record than the Caps do (7-2-1), and only one team matches it (Detroit). Next best is Florida at 7-3-0. That might help explain it. San Jose and Boston are both in mini-slumps; Detroit has a goaltending issue.

But still ... #1 is pretty cool. We're still in 3rd or 4th in most places and we're getting a lot of Ovi/Sid love.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks jmu!

Posted by: oo7 | February 23, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

They had to move us up to #1. Stuck at #2 two weeks in a row while Bos/SJ/NJ all went through mild cold runs. I had to post a novel over at Pensblog, simply to see the responses. On the whole I went for respectful, because as bad as I want to end their season for once I really think the playoffs would be far better and more compelling if they were in there.

Rangers looking for the quick fix...but unless Gomez/Drury/Redden start earning their money either Pitt or Carolina will take their spot. It's a lock.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 24, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if it's been linked yet, but I found this interesting:

Posted by: Raber | February 24, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, Raber! I think LA & Nashville are stocking for the flood or something. Wow!
Although I don't quite understand how two different clubs (Sens & Isles) have two first round picks and only one club (Sharks) doesn't have one. Doesn't that total 31 first round picks? Maybe its a typo involving their trade?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 24, 2009 3:17 AM | Report abuse

nice catch jmu (what you doing up so late? o.O)

Posted by: mauree | February 24, 2009 4:20 AM | Report abuse

Instead of Pronger, the Caps should see if the Yotes would trade Ed Jovonovski. As long as we are talking pure fantasy. Such a trade would cost too much, but wow would Jovonovski help out the Caps.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 24, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

@ cstanton1

Read any comments by Rangers fans on Redden. They're so excited to have him they want the Rangers to buy out his contract.

Posted by: ranndino | February 25, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse