Reports: Kolzig To Tampa

I know this isn't the goalie news most of you are waiting for. But the Lightning has reportedly reached out to former Capitals' netminder Olie Kolzig, and the sides could be closing in on a deal.

From Damian Cristodero at the St. Pete Times:

Kolzig would be a terrific mentor for Mike Smith, and coach Barry Melrose, this morning, indicated the team "had some goalie issues we need to take care of." There apparently has been an internal debate as to whether backup Karri Ramo needs some more seasoning in the minors. If Kolzig agrees, that would end the debate. And Kolzig, 38, would be a proved replacement if Smith, who has never played a season as a No. 1, falters. Kolzig apparently still wants to start, but a meaningful backup gig might be worth considering.

Follow the developments here and here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 1, 2008; 1:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green Talks About His New Deal
Next: Caps Sign Theodore; Huet to Chicago (Updated)

Comments

Say it ain't so Olie. Please. Anywhere but Philly, Pittsburgh, Rangers, and the SE division.

Posted by: E | July 1, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

no...i couldn't stand having to see olie in another sweater like 8 times a season!

Posted by: hensmith | July 1, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig still wanted anywhere... THAT's the news... We should play Tampa more that 4 times. All those rebounds and open 5 holes for Ovechkin to score!

Posted by: Finn | July 1, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

oh god, please say this is a cruel trick. I could handle Olie in Detroit. but not Tampa Bay. no no no.

Posted by: Birdie | July 1, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

So much for not wanting to be a backup, or wanting to play for a contender. He sure gave up those ideals pretty darn easily.

Posted by: norske | July 1, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Next thing you'll tell me Bondra has signed with the Thrashers..

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I think teams play divisional opponents 6 times this season since they are back to playing each team in the NHL at least once.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig is full of crap.

Posted by: Finn | July 1, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll tourment you like I did everday in practice.....you can be my new....how do they say this is america......Bi*****tch

Posted by: OV | July 1, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Good for Olie. If he signs anyway...

I do forsee ovie abusing that glove hand :-)

Posted by: Scofield | July 1, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Finn is full of crap.

Posted by: #37 | July 1, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@828

your mis reading posts syndrome is apparently contagious haha, but nope I was not the count.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Finn is full of Kolzig's game...

Posted by: Scofield | July 1, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Watch out for Kolzig smashing one of his sticks after Ovechkin scores hat tricks in every game we play them.

Posted by: Finn | July 1, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, at the least the Caps know Olie's weaknesses.

Oh wait, the entire NHL knows Olie's weaknesses.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I hope he does go to TB. And wins 30 games. And give a big F you to McPhee and the Caps' front office; as well as the Caps' Message Board members who have bashed him for so long. Go Olie!!!!

Posted by: Get 'em, Zilla! | July 1, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Argh. Not to re-open this all over again but I don't understand how any long time Caps fans can have animosity towards Kolzig. I'm glad we traded for Huet and all but show a little respect. If you thought things were bad during the rebuild, how much worse could they have been if Kolzig had said "um, yeah, I'd like to get moved to a contender" during the fire sale. Those teams would have been worse than the expansion team Caps of the 70's.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"Coach Barry Melrose..." Haha that still creeps me out.

Hope Olie finds a good end to his career wherever he ends up, nothing but the best of wishes from me.

Posted by: ultra | July 1, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe there would be more of a tandem situation in TB.

It'll hurt to see him in another sweater, regardless of which one it is. But I wish him luck. Well, not great luck -- don't want TB to do well. Just wish good things for Godzilla.

Posted by: Jill | July 1, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Olie is only weak when he is on the ice, he was stellar on the bench!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

posted this in the last thread before I saw there was a new one:

"Cristobal Huet is more then likely to remain with the Capitals, however, a deal is not signed just yet and until it is he'll keep his ear out for a few offers. However, sources tell TNL the two made an agreement of some kind but it wasn't at an extent to which the deal can be completed immediately. There is still a 95% chance Huet remains a Cap."

Posted by: SuperCaps | July 1, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Olie should have been retained here and the management should have treated him with more respect after devoting years to this team. Stop me if you've heard this before.

Posted by: Peter Bondra | July 1, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

this is still wishful thinking cause the Huet deal isn't done, but we could have the makings of a good center ice goalie fight... huet vs. kolzig! my money is on olie, but still ... "lets settle the score" :-)

Posted by: Scofield | July 1, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@SuperCaps

that was posted yesterday so it might be old info and a lot could have changed.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Caps didn't want him, and Tampa did... Why to blame Olie...?? (+ I prefer having him in front of me rather than behind me...)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Please don't think Kolzig staying in the division is purely a coincidence on his part. What little time he has left, he just wants the best chance to stick it to the Caps for slighting him.

It's to be expected with a warrior like Olie, and it's OK. Who better than Alex and Alex to stick it in him and snuff out his career.

Olie, don't go away mad. Just go away.

Posted by: Jimmy Tango | July 1, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The caps fan nation seems to be full of a lot of 'what have you done for me lately' attitude. It was time for Olie to move on (or be a backup) but to forget the years he carried us AND stuck by us when he could have went somewhere else... you people are disgusting to be quite honest. Let me know when you get some class

Posted by: Wylie | July 1, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Olie's problem is with Huet. Now watching Olie scale the bleachers to get to McPhee might be something to see.

I hope Olie gets a job and does well, just not in the division, plz.

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwkward.

TB is the Philadelphia of 08/09 apparently, as in the immediate re-building. They've got the MVP line back together (I'd love to see the rest of the Top 10 in the bizarre career path of Prospal), Stamkos joins the fold and they've filled out their lines pretty quick.

Goalie remains the big question mark and it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Here's hoping Olie repeats last year's stats when facing the Caps. Otherwise, I love him 'till the end and look forward to the jersey rising to the Verizon Center rafters.

Caps - Canes - Bolts should have a nice battle for the SE crown.

Posted by: Shmoo | July 1, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Time to ROCK OUT WITH YOUR C$CK OUT! LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: ZMAN | July 1, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

actually it was just updated a little while ago, thats why I posted it. Yesterday they said it was a done deal, now they've backed off of that a bit but still say that Huet is most likely coming back.

Posted by: SuperCaps | July 1, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Wellwood to the Big Green Orca

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Um, Olie was retained here for a long time. His departure was fumbled badly by the team. What was your beef with the way it ended here? You were traded to a contender. You had the opportunity to resign here but took the money from Atlanta. Sorry we weren't able to bring you back, but the ship had sailed at that point.

Posted by: Hey Bonzai | July 1, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,

No animosity towards him - just thought he should have been gone a long time ago. Had that happened, we could have developed a goalie by now or perhaps got another. Sure, Olie has been here for a long time and he has done a lot for the community. That's awesome... but sometimes you gotta cut lose and I think the Caps waited too long... OR, Olie waited to long to retire. If the Caps were contenders, I could see him staying around longer like the Wings goalies. But, that's just not the case. I saw Olie give up way to much to be supportive of him. People talk about Semin and how he is not a team player. From what they see in Semin, I see the same in Olie. So, I am glad he is gone. Good luck to him and all, but now it's time to win the Cup!

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Wylie: Amen to that

Posted by: OldPhil | July 1, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I am a little confused here. I thought Olie wanted to be a starter and that is why he was so upset with GMGM and BB. I also thought that if he were to be a backup he wanted to be on a true SC contender. By being in TB, he gets neither. I am surprised.

Seems to me signing here as a backup and us trading BJ is a much better deal for him. But, I guess pride got in the way or the Caps don't want him back. Maybe a bad locker room guy in his old age?

Perhaps he will be sharing net time while mentoring Smith and is getting paid more than he would as a true backup.

Posted by: kenwood | July 1, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Wylie...Caps fans who have crapped on Olie for so long can just shut up--save the bashing for GMGM who will drop the ball and let Huet sign with OTT...THEN we'll see how much of a hero he is to you people.

Posted by: W.L. | July 1, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Japers Rink and Corey are both saying that Green will in fact still be an RFA at the end of his contract as I first suspected.

Methinks the Caps gave a little more per season to retain his rights at the end of the contract, where as the might have been able to get him for 4.75 or so for a longer term deal.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Good for Ollie. Best of luck. Shame he didn't retire a Cap. Now time to move on

Posted by: Leeguru | July 1, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig wanted to go to a contender... I am laughing my socks off...

Posted by: Finn | July 1, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Wylie, don't cry bud... we're not speaking for you. Let everyone have an opinion, good or bad.

on that note though, the day the caps retire Olie's jersey, i'll be first in line to get a ticket and thank him for every minute he stuck with the caps thru thick and thin, i'll also be first to offer support to all his charities and for his great work within the community. BUT... he being a potential lightning dork, or red wing... or any of the other 27 teams, he's gonna take a beating just like the rest of'em. sorry, but i'm trying to win today... not 2 years ago!!

Posted by: Scofield | July 1, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Olie said on the radio a few months ago that he would have stayed on as a backup playing like 25 games a year, but that kind of offer was never communicated to him by the team. He was upset at the lack of communication from management with the whole Huet deal, and that nobody talked to him about a backup kinda thing until it was already too late (in his mind).

Posted by: @kenwood | July 1, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

What amazes me is that he wouldn't even consider being a back up for us but is willing to be one for Tampa. He didn't even give the Caps a chance to make him an offer before deciding to leave. I really like Olie in general but I think in this instance he was kind of being a jerk.

Posted by: hockey_is_cool | July 1, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@828

you make yourself sound like someone whos been a fan for about 4 months

Posted by: hensmith | July 1, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig doesn't want to be a backup. He wants to win a cup? Yet signs on to be #2 in Tampa? TAMPA? Who looks stupid now?

Posted by: JR | July 1, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

the caps slighted olie. they would have slighted their entire fan base had they let him finish out the year in net. he was terrible. its called doing whats best for your team to win

Posted by: just retire | July 1, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Why should the management have talked with him? The management should do everything to win. Last February that meant getting Huet. It worked. Kolzig should shut up already!

Posted by: Finn | July 1, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth Taylor was hot in 1963 when she played Cleopatra. Elizabeth Taylor is not hot now:

Kolzig was great in goal between 1996 through 2003. Kolzig is not great in goal now.

The difference is that Taylor retired from making movies.. and Kozlig should have retired from playing goalie. Instead he's going to end a great career by fading into obscurity as a washed out backup. It's unfortunate.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | July 1, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget TB has mullet boy at the helm now. Stanley Cup here they come!!

Posted by: Jill | July 1, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Until Olie is an owner or a manager - no one needs to tell him the plans of what is going on. GM made a move to get his team into the playoffs and succeded. Sports aint easy to deal with and people come and go - that is what these players signed up for - it's a high risk profession.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Chapter Closed on Olzig...

Move On...

Posted by: Im over it | July 1, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

hensmith,

Actually, it's 5 months I have been a fan for the Capitals... who is this Bondra guy people are talking about?

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@828

If we had anybody worth developing, we would have. Freddy Cassivi was never really an option, and both of the minor league Max's fizzled. We now have 2 legit prospects in Varlamov and Neuvirth (i always spell his name wrong).

I don't think management had any faith in any of the younger "prospects", otherwise they would have brought them up for more of a look during the rebuild in lieu of Johnson

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Also a note.. if Olie does go to TB... they're not really looking to play a big-time defensive style w/ the roster they have. Olie always made outstanding saves on odd-man rushes, but got really frustrated when the D let him down here and he couldn't bail them out. If anything, it seems like he's putting himself in a position to (i won't say fail... but to) not contend, if he were to sign there. IMO

Posted by: Scofield | July 1, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Brunette to Wild

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Nipsy Russell signs a 3yr contract with the Caps to be general funny guy after talks stalled with Charles Nelson-Reilly.

Posted by: JSchon | July 1, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

i love what ollie did for this team and look forward to seeing his number retired. but he wasnt cutting it this year and a change had to be made. it was tough but the right thing to do. who really knows what went down between him and the team. i think we can all agree it could have been handled better by both sides. however, ollie comes on now and says he would have been a backup here but nobody made him the offer. umm, i think when you blow off the end of team meeting i think you probably send a pretty strong signal that you dont want to come back as a backup. i wonder if his agents phone is able to dial out? love the guy, wish him luck, but he should move on.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 1, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig = Dirk Diggler

Posted by: Boogie Nights | July 1, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Lalime may go back to Ottawa.

Huey will be signed in DC.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

bon voyage, Olie. Great citizen. Goaltending? Not so much.

We "devoted" more than 42 million bucks to Kolzig over his career here. 42+ million.

just sayin'

Posted by: bigonetimer | July 1, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

whats worse, not talking to him about future plans or giving him a low-ball offer(which is all hes worth)to be our backup.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

chief, names?

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 1, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@cap fan 1

HAHAHA, what a puss he is

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Every year in the last two years Kolzig's salary was higher than that of Brodeur. Isn't it funny? Marty won another Vezina last year by the way. Kozlig? Not so much...

Enough with Kolzig's love. The guy's a sore loser.

Posted by: Finn | July 1, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

last comment I'll make on the subject, and just re stating what I have said before (again)

Picking up Huet was the right move, the Caps could not rely on Kolzig as a starter any more.

The glee and just downright animosity towards Kolzig bothers me. That's the kind of attitude I would expect from NY or Philly fans, but not from Caps fans.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero, agreed! But, things could have changed had they had Olie on their mind earlier.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, waiting on that list.

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero

I feel as if I brought up a valid point w/ Kolzig to TB in my last post... any thoughts? Doesn't seem like a good fit to me.

Posted by: Scofield | July 1, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon

talks did in fact stall with Charles Nelson Riley.At first it was believed to be a strong negotiating tactic often referred to as "stone walling" but it was later discovered that Nelson Riley was in fact no longer breathing, having been pronounced dead back in May of 07.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Pens sign Eaton, who cares rite?

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Here's a list

- Milk
- Bread
- Sandwich meat
- more sandwich meat
- 12 pack of pabst

just insert players there Chief...
actually I dont really care...

Posted by: JSchon | July 1, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

One thing for sure, he'll be french
Huey or Theodore

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Watch Kolzig play the game of his life upon his return to the Phone Booth with another team...

Posted by: Caps Nut | July 1, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I know... and Nipsy Russell past away in 2005... I feel not so good about my choice of d-list comedians

Posted by: JSchon | July 1, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Man it has been quiet today.....

Posted by: Roger # 94 | July 1, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone slamming TB? Did you see who they picked up? They have just gotten MUCH better.

BTW, I don't think we will see TB 8 times next season - they are changing things up so that we will see every team, right? I don't think we can do that AND play the SE teams 8 times each.

Oh, and for whoever said that they would boo Olie, I hope that is not true - he deserves more respect than that.

Posted by: Boo! | July 1, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

...and still lose 5-4

Posted by: bigonetimer | July 1, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Caps Nut - I have no doubt he will play the game of his life upon return. It's called the 'eye of the tiger' and I felt that he lost it here. Some where else, he will prolly be successful. But, that's only because he has something to prove.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

828-
Re: Greenie's Maserati:
Ever heard of "British Racing Green"?

Posted by: kevbpgc | July 1, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else think we might be having a Peter Bondra Night this year? Fingers, toes and elbows crossed on that one.

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I thought he wanted to go to a contender? I still don't think Tampa is a contender...you can have great pieces, but do they mesh? Will they play well in Melrose's style? I have to think that Olie's thinking signing in Tampa will be solely because he has the best chance there at having a shot as a starter compared to places like detroit.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Jagr back to the Pens

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible that GMGM has a handshake deal with Huet, say, 3 years $15 mil, but that Huet is being allowed to test the market on the condition that he give the Caps the right to match any (higher) offer received?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | July 1, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Chief, not sure if you are kidding on JJ, but I have heard that one too, but only if they do not sign Hossa and/or Malkin.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | July 1, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Spare me the BS, if you want to believe that then go right ahead.

Real deal players have avoided DC for YEARS, thanks in large part to team owner & his manager.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 11:05 AM

i'll help you chief:
"Real Deal Players who have avoided DC"

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 1, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Crap. When Halpern went there I was afraid this might happen. All of you predicting his 5-hole to rear its ugly head every time we play Tampa, beware. If he goes there be prepared for us to have a hard time in the first game we play. You know how Olie plays when he feels the pressure.

When the schedule comes out look for that first match-up to get a lot of attention.

Posted by: Kim | July 1, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@Scofield

I think Tampa is looking for a goalie to play 30-40 games, and be a fill in starter if Smith can't cut it. I am guessing they'll only give Kolzig a 1 year deal.

That being said, Kolzig played better in Jan Feb and March than he did earlier in the year. I think Tampa is looking to run and gun, similar to the Caps but i think they'll be even more undisciplined than the Caps. I don't see this as being a situation in which he can thrive.

But I am just an idiot fan, not an expert so who knows.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

kevbpgc,

1. Green aint British
2. the last time I have seen green on a sports car was in the 90s.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Enought with Kolzig already! He is done! He is not a good hockey player anymore

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig what a class act. YEA RIGHT.Said he would only leave the CAPS and play if it is for a contender and no backup rolls. He had that here.

As far as HUET. If GMGM is smart he would lock him up quick(3yr $15). No good goalies on the open market so his price would go up. Plus others who aren't interested would drive up the price anyway.

Posted by: smartfan | July 1, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sundin offered 2/20 deal by Vancouver

Pronger
Chara
Leetch
Holik
Shanny

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@boo!

They added a lot of forwards but don't have much on D and they were dead last in Goals Against last season. Granted, they had terrible goaltending for most of the season and Smith/Kolzig would be an improvement over Holmqvist/Ramo/Denis.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@ Get 'Em, Zilla!

Please don't forget about me. I need a charity-fan too.

Posted by: Dan Cloutier | July 1, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Chief, Those are players you have heard rumors about or you have spoken to and they do not want to come to DC?

Posted by: Leeguru | July 1, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

id take chara, but the rest pfffffffttttt, im glad they "turned us down", if that was even the case

Posted by: finally | July 1, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

TB is back. Achy-breaky hockey has returned.

Kind of a strange choice for Olie given the other goalie situation there and the overall quality of the team. Maybe he hopes that Smith takes off and he gets traded to San Jose at the deadline so that he can have a great view from the bench when Nabakov wins the cup.

@Finn: OV won't score a hat on him. You can't score a goal on the guy in a baeball cap.

Posted by: old time hockey | July 1, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Chara didn't not want to come here, if my memory serves me correctly, the Caps didn't want to throw the same amount of money that the Bruins did. Plus the Bruins new GM that offseason had just come over from Ottawa as their Assistant GM as well so I feel like Chara was inclined to go there anyways.

Posted by: nhcaps | July 1, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

pronger - traded many times. never has been a free agent
chara - nice try. no offer ever extended to him by the caps
leetch - brian? huh.
holik - again, dont recall the caps ever making an offer for him.
shanahan - when, in 06 or 96?

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 1, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

And just to add, just because players don't want to come here, it doesn't mean that's due to the way management handles players. There are other factors involved as well, for instance, a team going through the middle of a major rebuild.

Posted by: nhcaps | July 1, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

guru,

2 of them in person, not to mention all 5 were public knowledge at that time, it's not a secret.

Marquee, impact players avoid DC. No arguing, it's fact and it's not getting any better with guys like Kolzig, Emminger and plenty of other disgruntled players around to confirm that this organization is second rate.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Guys don't ask Chief to bring up the past. He does that enough on his own.

it is no secret that players didn't want to come to Washington as their first choice 8-10 years ago. Before Jagr was aquired via trade I can't think of any significant FA signings.

That was back when they practiced in Piney Orchard and had second (third??) rate facilities and an owner who didn't want to spend money on the hockey side of his sports investment.

Its a whole new ball game now. Kettler is among the the league's best, the team has a solid young core etc etc etc. Yeah we took our lumps during the rebuild but these next 3-4 seasons should be something special.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - Any news on Laich?

Posted by: Tracy | July 1, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@Capfan1

actually the Caps were trying to get Charra, but his asking price got too high.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Too bad for kolzig NHL goaltending isn't THAT kind of union-job. Unfortunately you are judged on your performance.

His game is garbage anymore and we are going to light him up everytime we see him if this really happens. My suggestion for olie if he ends up in the SE: bigger pads. Or just lay down. Caps don't shoot shelf often enough.

I hope this is a sign of Melrose-to-come. His tenure will not last long with decisions like that.

But I still hold out hope that olie is going to end up in LA. It would be the perfect match of a team and a player that are both hilariously inept and incongruously self-important.

Please let it happen, little baby Jesus.

Posted by: Defense Wins Championships. | July 1, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Actually sandwich meat wanted to come here, but Bruce Cassidy was Pescatarian.

Posted by: JSchon | July 1, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:
Any news on Huet? Any teams making big pitches for him? How about Fedorov? Ovie, Semin, and Kozlov all love him, and you don't want the best players you want the right players. Fedorov is the right player.

Posted by: DC FURY | July 1, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Nylander, probably the third most most sought after FA center last year picked the caps at a discount over other teams.

During the old regime impact players did not come here, I agree.

During the Jagr years we got some impact players, but didn't have the chemistry.

During the rebuild we didn't want any impact players, and why would they want to come here?

Its a new time now. The biggest impact player in the game signed for 13 years.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Placing blame on Piney rather than the people in control of Piney, and now Kettler, is the root of the problem.

Kettler was to have been constructed and opened 24 months after the Booth opened, instead it took over 8 years.

Facilities aside, the Caps organization is well known to be second rate, ask any former player and they will tell you it's a joke compared to any other team in the league.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I gotta respond to Chief.

ANY player, huh?

Even a player who was previously a Cap, traded away, and then chose to come back for less money than he was offered elsewhere?

Posted by: Jeff | July 1, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Get over yourselves Olie had his good years-now he is finished-everybody knows that except him. He couldn't stop a shoot out if his life depended on it.

Posted by: zeke | July 1, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

If Cassidy would've put down a Double R Burger from Roys we could've landed so many elite players like Jason Dawe.

Posted by: JSchon | July 1, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Nylander has his own agenda, and I'm 100% certain he's no good for a team trying to win the Stanley Cup.
Regular season guy ? Sure, Stanley Cup material ? No Way.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@Chief,

We're second rate compared to "Any team"? I know several players. Maybe I'll ask them. I'm not saying we're Detroit or the Leafs, but I gotta think we rate higher on a players list than several others.

Posted by: old time hockey | July 1, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig signs

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Chief,

Is there anything that you dont btch about? Are the hotdogs 'too small' for your liking at the Verizon Center? Do the Caps need to go with more of a FireEngine Red on their uniforms? Are the socks long enough or do you need to see more leg?

What else is there chief? I feel like you have covered the whole organization.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

sombrero, you are correct. chara got more money to go to boston. not quite the same as avoiding dc.

ask any former player...so what former players have you asked? perhaps another list is in order since you couldnt quite follow up on the previous one. what former players have you spoken too who claim the caps are a joke...today's caps, not abe's caps.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 1, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Peter Bondra, Rod Langway, Yvon Labre, Dale Hunter, Bengt Gustafsson, Calle Johansson who was crying talking to Vogel about how much he loved it here in Washington.. all guys that can't stand the organization.

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Washington signs UFA G Jose Theodore to a 2 year deal (undisclosed)

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Caps sign Theodore!! tsn.ca

Posted by: Jill | July 1, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Caps sign Theodore!

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Leeguru | July 1, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

That seems like a very curious signing to me.

Posted by: Eddie C | July 1, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

TSN reporting WAS signs G Jose Theodore to a 2 year deal

Posted by: mike | July 1, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hillarious

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

We just signed goalie Jose Theodore

Posted by: Zeke | July 1, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Something must have happened with Huet... he wanted too much or something... or was just screwing around.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

JOSE F-ING THEODORE, GOD F-ING DAMNIT

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Do your homework on those guys that you cited, you'll confirm my comments with ease.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay, if we don't get Fedorov NOW, I'm going to be ultra-pissed.

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

i dreamt this the other night. unfortunately, that turned into a nightmare.

Posted by: Resist The Machine | July 1, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh no no no Chief!

You said "ask any former player and they will tell you it's a joke compared to any other team in the league". You can't go changing your story now by saying Nylander doesn't count.

Any by the way Chief, guess who averages more points per game in the playoffs (.90) than the regular season (.76)?

Posted by: Jeff | July 1, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Just for fun, I'm going to predict that if Kolzig plays in 30% or less games for Tampa Bay next year, and Huet plays in more than 65% of the Caps games, Olie will end up with better stats than Huet.

...but either way Huet gets a better shootout win percentage.

Posted by: austinsteve | July 1, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Tough to tell if this is good or bad. I liked Huet, but an 11 game run may not have been enough to lock up for 3-5 years.

Posted by: GJ | July 1, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Now if we paid him 5 per or more I am going to be really pissed. Maybe the caps only wanted a goalie for 2 years thinking that one of the kids would be ready by then?

Posted by: Mike | July 1, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Jose Theodore is my name......

Posted by: I am yor new goalie | July 1, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Called Theodore... and hey guys just popped in to say hi but im off cause im sure the name calling will get thrown down so hey and see ya!

Posted by: Jeff (Philly) | July 1, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

2:53PM Washington signs UFA G Jose Theodore to a 2 year deal (undisclosed)

Posted by: dossier | July 1, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve, Huet is not going to be a Capital...

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Jose Theodore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Egon | July 1, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

We just got Theodore.....now THIS should be interesting...

Posted by: GoCapsGo | July 1, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Theodore? Is that true?

[going to look it up...]

Posted by: austinsteve | July 1, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

New Band-Aid name JoeZe, I can't wait to hear the spin on this.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow! That is a surprise. See ya Huet

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | July 1, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

This sucks!!!

Posted by: noooo | July 1, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Well...atleast no more flaming chants like hip hip huet!

/still a downer
//hoping the real jose will stand up

Posted by: Yosh | July 1, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

get with the program austin steve

this BETTER mean were signing fedorov, otherwise ovie and semin will be pissed and we dont want that

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmpf. I can't imagine Huet would have cost more than 3 years 16 million.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they're hoping Varlamov will be ready in 2 years -- otherwise, this signing makes no sense.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | July 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm super-hoping that this is like going to be a backup thing and we still get Huet and we have to say tearful but necessary goodbyes to Brent.. Please..

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I suspect a potential bidding war regarding the length of the deal is what pushed them towards theodore. He had a good run the past season with Colorado in the playoffs.

Posted by: usiel | July 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Let the justifying begin.

Start convincing yourself, make it a pain free process.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

UGH. Theodore instead of Huet?! WTF. I don't understand!

Posted by: SLM | July 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

GOD MOTHER ******* DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE DAMN WELL BETTER TRADE HIM NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!!!!!!! ONE OF THE WORST SIGNINGS IN CAPS HISTORY!!!!!!!! WE WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH TY CONKLIN!!!!!!! Chief it's your time to shine

Posted by: DC FURY | July 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Theodore is to back up Huet. Please. Please. Pretty Please. Let's all bring Rogahn to the games.

Posted by: old time hockey | July 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

How could wiki have that changed so fast?
Complete bio here

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@ Chief

Pretty good for THE best player in the world, highest scoring defenceman, runner-up Rookie of the year, and Most sought after free agent goalie to wanna stay with a "second rate" organization... I can live w/ that.

Any more bright ideas son?

Posted by: Scofield | July 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

jeff(philly) drive into a tree, while youre speeding

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Quick, what are the stats comparisons for careers between huet and Jose

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | July 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I guess Johnny's the Caps' #1 G now.

Posted by: Joe B | July 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

9 Million

This is getting better

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I like the 2 years... a lot... Can't believe Theodore would do a 2 yr contract.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEODORE!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! I see how Ted rolls: misrepresent the team to sell tickets. I knew this was going to happen. Hope everyone is still loving the Green move. GEEZ

Posted by: doughless | July 1, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

TSN Ticker saying The Caps signed Theodore to a 2 year deal????? WTF!!!!!!!

I hope this is a mis-print!!! I want Huey!!! Damnit!!!!

Posted by: Darryl | July 1, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Chief, your last post just proved you are a troll and not a Caps fan.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | July 1, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

GOOD! See, the Caps are starting to call the shots... not the players. If Huet wants to 'check' out the market and could not make a deal with Washington - Washington just goes and signs someone else. Good move Huet - you should have just signed. I think we will be alright with Theodore... how old is he?

And yes, you all are right - We better sign those other guys now... esp Laich and Feds. Wish we knew how much.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Wrong french speaking goalie!!! WTF times infinity

Posted by: JIM | July 1, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Lets go TEB! We need insider info on why GMGM did this. What a wreck of a day...

Posted by: Krazijoe | July 1, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

WOW with the signing of theodore instead of huet let me be the first to congradulate the lightning on winning the southeast

Posted by: brian | July 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone pissed about Theodore? How many Vezina's and Hart's has Huet won? They're the same age too...

Posted by: Danny | July 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Not so fast on Theodore. Former MVP and Vezina. Had a great last half of the year with Colorado. The fans gave him a hard time because of his inflated contract

He is as good if not better than Huet and his next 3-5 years will be his best.

Posted by: Zeke | July 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Chief, you have the floor. This signing hurts me. Theodore, in MY opinion, is little better than Kolzig. Maybe 2 years behind on the decline. It will be interesting to see what the story is; I'm hoping this wasn't a panic move on GMGM's part.

Av's sign raycroft BTW

Posted by: Leeguru | July 1, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

what a mother f-ing DISASTER, id rather have shart-stink kolzig

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

My last post said 9 Million

This is gettin better, maybe finally owner realizes that his manager CAN'T GET THE BIG DEALS DONE

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Jose Theodore...noooooooo!

Posted by: Keebler | July 1, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

better than raycroft...

Posted by: scott | July 1, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Hip Hip Jose......has a nice ring to it....

Posted by: Ted | July 1, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I have this mental image of Tarik just staring open-mouthed and shocked at TSN.ca and reaching feebly for his phone to try and figure out what the frig just went down.

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

i wonder when Ted L. is going to blog about this gem of a signing on his Ted's Take blog??? Heres hoping that everyone here will let him know what kind of blockheaded deal he and GM have made by signing THEODORE instead of HUET!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE

Posted by: doughless | July 1, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow- why not just sign Ray Emery. For gods sake the last thing we need is antother streaky player. This is an awful signing. I hope I'm proven wrong...

Posted by: Wylie | July 1, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

What are you all complaining for? Take a deep breath. Theodore had a nice season last year and he's had others in the past. This is for 2 years, giving Neuvirth and Varlamov time to get ready, and now they should be able to sign Laich, Feds, and Morrinson (and maybe someone else?)

Posted by: Leigh | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Tarik hasn't posted, yet, makes me think something else is up with this...

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Danny:
Yeah well Lindros has a full trophy case too should we sign him?

Posted by: DC FURY | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

2008 Stats
GP GAA W L OT % SO GA
Huet 52 2.32 32 14 6 .92 4 118

Theodore 53 2.44 28 21 3 .91 3 123

Posted by: mike | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHA

Theodore.

Well...Caps have a D man for 4 yrs that cant play good D

And now a goalie that isnt worth the paper he signed his contract on...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Could be a good move. I guess the talks with Huet must have hit a wall or something.

Posted by: matt | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Where the hell did this come from???!>!>!>! Are we sure it's not just a typo? Have the Caps been planning this all along? I don't get it.

Posted by: Ben | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

13years at 124 mill is pretty big jackass, youre NOT a Caps fan, go the F away

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Theodore?

Posted by: Rich | July 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

guru

I would have looked at conklin instead of either of the two french guys.
This signing is an attempt to get him to play well for another contract, only that game always favors the player, and when it's a goalie, well you just gambled the entire team's ability to win.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Huet's #'s are better the last couple years. I would argue that playing behind the Av's defense is also a bonus over the Habs and Caps -- not liking this one. GMGM must really think that either Varmolov or Neuvirth (spelling) are close to ready

Posted by: JIM | July 1, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jeff | July 1, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

all right now let use some of that xtra money to get a top 4 defenseman to back up mo, green,poti

Posted by: brian | July 1, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Theodore has the pedigree. But, he has, in all fairness, completely sucked the last year or so. Maybe the change of teams will help. Don't be so sure.

Posted by: old time hockey | July 1, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Seriously if Theodore isn't traded I will be soooooooooooooooo pissed!!! He can be back-up at most, otherwise we don't stand a chance. When was the last time Theodore won a single game in the second round of the playoffs????

Posted by: DC FURY | July 1, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

You all are cracking me up:

shart-stink kolzig
jeff(Philly) go run into a tree while you are speeding

Relax - don't jump on the guy just yet. Everyone was pissed when they saw Huet's stats when we first got him. We needed a #1 goalie and now we have him. My guess is that Huet wanted too much. We don't have a lot of wiggle room so we can't afford for the players to call the shots.

I am fine with this. I feel that Huet and Theodore are similar. I am not too worried.

Posted by: 828 | July 1, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

yes, chief, you are correct again. the manager cant get the big deals done...like jagr, ovechkin, green, nylander, semin, etc. only the two biggest contracts in league and the number RFA d man this year. oh, and trades for huet, federov, etc. small potatoes.

and you probably have intimate knowledge of the huet talks so you know for sure that GMGM screwed the pooch and it wasnt huet being difficult.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 1, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

You people complaining about Theodore know crap about hockey.How many games did Huet steal in the playoffs when it counted? ZERO! Gimmee a break.

Posted by: Zeke | July 1, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Do Huet and Kolzig now compete for the Tampa slot?

Posted by: Hockey1919 | July 1, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Well if its only a 2 year deal, at least Theodore will be good in year 2. He only shows up for contract years, no?

I'm disappointed, but if Huet was looking for a lot more money then it was either this, or wave good by to some other players.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 1, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

detroit signs conklin

Posted by: Tommmy | July 1, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Caps website has Theodore signing too. If someone already posted that - my bad.

Posted by: Jonathan | July 1, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Me want more Propecia

Posted by: Theodore's Hair | July 1, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm going into denial. WTF is McPhee thinking? Seriously. My faith in him was heightened at last year's deadline, now it's waivering again...

Hard to believe Huet's demands were so great based on what his agent has been saying.

Not happy.

Posted by: SLM | July 1, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Raycroft signs with Avalanche so who has spots left opn in net? LA, Tampa?

Posted by: Hockey1919 | July 1, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Tucker to sign in a minute.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

matt:

yeah, the wall that the negotiations ran into is the thick head of GMGM.

Posted by: doughless | July 1, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@DC Fury- Yeah, while we're at it let's sign Gordie Howe and Gretzky, WTF are you talking about?

I'm simply saying that everyone is acting like he's a bum and old and washed up when he's the same age as Huet, and has more experience, and has proven that he can be the best.

Posted by: Danny | July 1, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Chief, I would agree, the only problem I would see with Conklin is he would want a longer deal, and he has only had one good run. I just do not like this signing.

Posted by: Leeguru | July 1, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyone the new Lightning ownership won't overpay for?

Posted by: LionelMandrake | July 1, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ray.... who?

Posted by: Resist The Machine | July 1, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

@Philly Jeff

Don't be a stranger.

With Green at 5.25, signing Huet @ 5 would have been too much in my opinion. I would have liked Huet too... however I don't agree with the indignation about Theodore. He's the same level as Huet.

He signed for two years, which is ideal to develop our youngsters.

Posted by: mauree | July 1, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Conklin to DET

Posted by: Leeguru | July 1, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hello...Evidently we signed Jose Theodore.......Anyone?

Posted by: Roger # 94 | July 1, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

If Huet wanted a 4th or 5th year, I'm all for Jose at 2 years.

@Zeke... some people in here wanted a true S@H defensemen like Redden. What?

Posted by: JSchon | July 1, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

1)This is actually NOT as bad as some are making it out to be GMGM got the second best available UFA goalie, and only for 2 years.
2) This shouldn't be a shock folks. If Huet really wanted to stay in DC a deal would have been done long ago. It probably wasn't about money (he'll get his cash somewhere) it was about playing where he and his family felt most comfortable

Posted by: Fauxrumors | July 1, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Jose was the second best option (IMHO), and not very much behind Huet. Maybe Huet was just too much of a reach for us to get other people signed. Lets just not panick......and see how this all plays out.

@ Chief
He cant get the big ones done??? HUMMMMMM

For now on when I see your post...I am gonna pretend it is Charlie Browns teacher

wah wah wah....wah wah wah....Wah wah

Posted by: Dont panick | July 1, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Theodore is hardly a train wreck. But it depends on whether we're getting .890 Theo or .910 No Way Jose.

Still holding my breath that this is a double-stack of French goalies with Johnson getting shipped out. Not highly likely though, given the cost both would command.

Was going to get a dog this Fall and call him Ballsy (my nickname for Huet) and was waiting until after today. Glad I waited.

We shall see...

Posted by: Shmoo | July 1, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Leave it to the Wings to grab the gem.

Why is this surprising anyone ?

Team manager should have been FIRED in 2002.

Maybe he'll sign Naslund or Sundin, will that make everyone like him again ?

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds that Jose's dad handled the negotiations? Anyone have the over /under on the amount of time gmgm has left after this one?

Posted by: sewk | July 1, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I hate to back up Chief, but the one name that springs to my mind is Selanne, who took less money to go to the Ducks than the Caps were offering him at the time... which led directly to getting Jagr instead... which led (eventually) directly to us getting Ovie; so, I guess it wasn't all bad.

As for Ollie, in a perfect world he would have taken a backup job here, played 25-30 good games with rest in between, and the Caps would have had a great goaltending situation.

As for the fans, Caps fans have shown an amazing ability to turn viciously on ex-Caps who don't see the light and retire as a Cap when the fans decide their career is over. Which is a shame, but we're all emotionally invested in this thing.

Posted by: Baildog | July 1, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

As I mentioned earlier, deal is for 9 Mill.

No, team manager can't get the big deal done.
JJ & OV were both personally handled by owner.
Props for Nylander ? Besides my opinion on him is that he's a skilled regular season guy, maybe you should wait until he plays a few more games, don't you think.
Green, Semin are all first time deals out of entry level.

Posted by: Chief | July 1, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

2 year, 9 million for Theodore says Corey.

Posted by: Stormblue | July 1, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Hey, the day just started.Then there are future trades after thr UFA signings are done.

I think the Caps will only have about 8-9 million left to the salary cap after this.

If Theo has his act cleaned up (he was "seen" with Paris Hilton while married with a newborn) he'll be OK.

One other tidbit:

On February 9, 2006, news broke that Theodore had failed a drug test prior to the Olympic Games. It was later revealed to be caused by the prescription hair loss medication Propecia, which Theodore had been taking legally for 8 years. Propecia contains the drug Finasteride, which could be used as a masking agent for the performance enhancing drug Nandrolone among weight-trainers and bodybuilders, but it is not a performance enhancing drug in itself. Theodore did not face any punishment from the NHL as he had applied and received approval for a therapeutic use exception

Posted by: Zeke | July 1, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Theodore has a shot so let's give him a chance. If our D plays to snuff, we should have a legit#1. If not, BJohnson should be a happy man.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | July 1, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Huet to Chicago

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

TSN: 3 years for $15 mil or 4 years at $5.6 mil and Huet is off to Chicago.

Posted by: Hockey1919 | July 1, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

GMGM: +2

Theodore saves us 1M per year for Feds.

Posted by: bigonetimer | July 1, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Olie signed for Tampa....

Posted by: MarcusFenix | July 1, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

1 year 1.5 million to Tampa

Posted by: numbnuts | July 1, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

If you guys thought Theodare is better then Olie then good luck with that..... Lets Go Tampa & Olie

Posted by: Go Sox GO | July 1, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Olie is better, I just think it'll be weird when Tampa comes to town...

Posted by: MarcusFenix | July 1, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I really do wish Olie the best!

Posted by: Chris | July 1, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Ollie ollie oxen freed!
Theo can bring better quality women than some of the fatty patties that have grazed @ VC.

Upgrade for sure with Theo.

Posted by: Theo - Caps G | July 2, 2008 3:24 AM | Report abuse

Kolzig signs for 1.5 million? If he was still here, he'd be asking for 4 million.

Posted by: Joe | July 2, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse