No Ice Girls For Caps

According to the DC Sports Bog:

This is, apparently, not breaking news, but regardless, I'm here to tell you that there will be no ice-based cheer persons at Caps games this season. From PR guy Nate Ewell:
"It's something that we've looked at and we're still looking at. Obviously it's something that creates strong feelings, pro and con, so we're still trying to evaluate whether it would be a positive thing for our fans in the long run. We weren't confident at this point that it was a good idea. If we do it, we're going to do it right."
The Caps will thus remain the only team in the Southeast Division without ice-based cheer persons. The idea is still on the table for the '08-'09 season, but again, nothing has been decided.

I just spoke to my friend and former golfing buddy Dan Steinberg, who apparently is too "busy" these days to get out to Hains Point. Anyway, he says he's got lots of good stuff about the Caps and hopes to post the stuff soon (or perhaps over the next few days).

Check out his blog here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 29, 2007; 1:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Canada Wins Again
Next: Fleischmann, Klepis Expected at Camp

Comments

You mean more good stuff like this non-news?
Come on Tarik, aren't you the most connected guy in the local media at this point?

Posted by: Mark T. | August 29, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Thank God.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

People, people, people. What is your deal? What news do you expect to hear at this point in the offseason? If you dont like what's being reported, then don't read. I would much rather have Tarik posting what he's posting, then having no blog at all. Tarik, keep up the good work.

Posted by: Leigh | August 29, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't this have been something that the Caps beat writer should have known?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I consider this fantastic (non-)news!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Ice girls-once we start winning we won't need no stinking ice girls.

Posted by: dave | August 29, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Ice guys are what I really want to see. I'm sure my Bruins will have them soon.

Posted by: CAPHCKY | August 29, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Jesus! all I want to see is a good hockey game. I have all the girls I want to see when I want to see them.

Posted by: Jed | August 30, 2007 3:19 AM | Report abuse

The last thing I want is more people trying to tell me when to cheer and clap. Like we're too stupid to know ourselves. So now they're looking into the idea of hiring a bunch of nit-wits in skirts to tell me when to clap. Great, another reason to avoid the Caps.

Posted by: Henry | August 30, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Girls in short skirts bouncing up and down? Sounds like a stupid idea to me.

Posted by: I like girls | August 30, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Oy, pick pick pick pick pick. What is this, 3rd grade?

As I said in the Bog, good. The Ice kids are a far more valuble promotion for the team in the local hockey community anyway. Ice Girls are rather sexist and demeaning. If they want to make an official cheering group, that's one thing, but the ice should be left to the kids.

Posted by: EricS | August 30, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I hope it stays that way. It cheapens the experience. Let's protect the game we love from the all out, never-ending onslaught of women exploitation.

Posted by: wanggo | August 30, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

A better idea than letting ice girls be around - more mites between periods.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | August 31, 2007 12:59 AM | Report abuse

As a habs fan I hope to never see them at the Bell Center but for you all to fill the seats you seem to need more than the most exiting player in hockey. Saw the cheer girls in Tampa, not traditional but sweet.

Posted by: Cdnsfan27 | August 31, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Ted should worry about the cheering OFF the ice, before he considers putting cheerleaders ON the ice.

Posted by: caphcky | September 4, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I am SOOOOOOOOO happy to read these responses [well, all except the one in support of adding the girls! ;-)]! I can't believe this has even been considered! The key to getting people in the seats is adding the right players (like has been done recently), NOT adding girls in skimpy outfits. Ted keeps saying that the fans are split on this, but based on these posts, it sure does not look like it! I say WOO HOO for making the right decision. I would rather stay aligned with good ol' northern hockey than to become one of those "new" southern hockey teams. Let's keep the focus on what's happening on the ice while the game is being played, as opposed to between those times, and we will eventually become a hockey town!! And, BTW, I hope this does not become a discussion about cheerleaders - that's even worse - they get in the way of the action. I grew up in a hockey town, and we didn't have either. Let's keep the game true to its roots, and keep giving the ice kids their moment in the spotlight!

Posted by: Boo! | September 6, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I am a current ice girl and this is my first year. I agree with many of you saying that ice girls will not help a dwindling fan base. Ice girls will not bring in hockey fans but they do add to the game atmosphere. As far as it being demeaning or cheap, Well I agree that we could wear a bit more clothing, but It's crazy to me that you'll sit and watch a sometimes violent game but you can't stand some cleavage and a short skirt. I know that men are looking at me that way, but I'm not there for that. I'm there to enjoy a hockey game the best way you can... by being a part of it! :)

Posted by: IceGirl 07 | September 20, 2007 1:26 AM | Report abuse

i say the more the merrier! hockey is great. hockey plus gorgeous ladies is a dream come true.

Posted by: anon | October 10, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Good site! I'll stay reading! Keep improving!

Posted by: Doe | November 10, 2007 2:50 AM | Report abuse

Good site! I'll stay reading! Keep improving!

Posted by: Doe | November 10, 2007 2:52 AM | Report abuse

Good site! I'll stay reading! Keep improving!

Posted by: George | November 10, 2007 7:04 AM | Report abuse