Report: Ovechkin Punches Malkin's Agent

According to Sport-Express:

Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin broke the jaw of Evgeniy Malkin's agent Gennady Ushakov.
Once well-known keeper Gennady Ushakov came out to take part in a pre-season match the other day with his jaw injured.
It has become known that a conflict flared up between Alexander Ovechkin and Gennady Ushakov during a night club party.
Ushakov is said to have insulted Ovechkin which led to a fight in which Malkin's agent had his jaw broken.

I talked to a Russian reporter who would know about this. He said details about the incident are sketchy, but he's pretty confident that it did happen. He also said it was a "damaged" jaw, not a broken one.

One thing is for sure: Ushakov won't be Ovechkin's new agent.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 29, 2007; 10:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Announce Training Camp Schedule
Next: Canada Wins Again

Comments

I like!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm starting to wonder about Ovechkin's maturity level.

Posted by: Joe | August 29, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Who hasn't been in a fight? At least our guy came out on top.

If nothing else maybe some opponents will shy away from hitting him if they know he can break a former goalie's jaw.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm starting to wonder about Ovechkin's maturity level.

Please, it was an agent. It's not like he's abusing dogs.

Posted by: slappy | August 29, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I am split on this. If it were on the ice, fantastic. I'm worried about the off-ice piece of this story. I'm hoping that Ushakov was really baiting him and being physical as well. Otherwise, it's not good. It shows immaturity. Would need a LOT more detail on this.

Posted by: Greg S. | August 29, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Another sweetener for the first caps-pens matchup. Malkin will be out for revenge!

Posted by: Sweet | August 29, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Danny Briere, I'm gunning for you next.

Posted by: Just say OV | August 29, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This could be really bad. If true, it will tarnish his rep, no question - even if it was justified. As a minimum, it's a distraction right before training camp and a season full of hope. Great.

Posted by: tokyo fan | August 29, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Check your sources better... or find another russian reporter that is worth the cost of the phone call

this is a rumour that has been debunked by Ovechkin himself

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

How can anyone be angry that he did this. Malkin's agent was talking crap about the Capitals, and AO stood up for himself and the Caps. Amazing.

Posted by: Omar | August 29, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

JP said it in his blog that the author didn't even identify himself... I can't believe Tarik has resorted to spreading rumors

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean we trade Brash????

Posted by: dorgeloh | August 29, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I'll say it.

F pittsburg

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

It comes from a published report in a Russian newspaper. That's why I said "Report: Ovechkin Punches Malkin's Agent."

It's not my report. But it's out there, and people are talking about it. So in my judgement it was worth passing along.

Posted by: Tarik | August 29, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

and for the guy who said "this has been up for hours..." Sorry I don't sit in front of a computer for 12 hours a day during the offseason.

Posted by: Tarik | August 29, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I thought your work involves a lot of typing?

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"But it's out there, and people are talking about it. So in my judgement it was worth passing along."
Eklund does the same thing.

Posted by: See Eklund | August 29, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Nice comeback. The messageboard shut ins think they know everything. :) :) :)

AO fighting in bars, next thing you know he will be hanging out in strip clubs with Pac Man Jones. :) :)

Posted by: MASSintelligence | August 29, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

A reporter in Russia wrote it for his newspaper. Thus, I am pointing people to that report.

Posted by: Tarik | August 29, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up people. It was a report in the Russian media. This isn't some rumor that is just floating out there, or just flat out made up like Eklund does.

Thanks Tarik.

BTW, I love how people are now questioning Ovechkin's maturity level. Maybe the Caps should trade him and Semin and have the most mature team in the league...as long as you all promise not to complain about the losing.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | August 29, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry Tarik. I'm an idiot. I really need to get life.

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The reporter didn't even identify himself. Or was there a reporter?

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Imposter, I am not sorry.

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes I am!

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"For the last time: It was a PUBLISHED report. I was not there. I'm guessing neither were you."

But what you did is perpetuate the rumor and tried to legitimize it with this statement:
"I talked to a Russian reporter who would know about this. He said details about the incident are sketchy, but he's pretty confident that it did happen."

That's a bit more than just saying there's a rumour out there.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Eklund "Publishes" often, too. Perhaps your next story will come from there?

Posted by: See Eklund | August 29, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing Alex himself is going to be pissed.

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hunh, definately something her that needs to be cleared up. Anyone gotten a hold of the agent to see what he has to say about all of this?

Guys/Gals, quit hattin' on Tarik. He's passing on a potential news story that will need to further clarification. Chill, yesh.

Posted by: EricS | August 29, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I really need to chill. I haven't been fed by my mommy today, so I'm a little cranky. Sorry Tarik and fellow blog readers.

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

You ARE an idiot

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I am! The most intelligent thing you've said!

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

You guys need to move away from the computer for a while. Give yourselves a break. It's a sunny day outside.

Thanks, Tarik.

Posted by: That Guy | August 29, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"im starting to wonder about his maturity"...u disgust me. u should be more worried that matt bradley is still on the team

Posted by: whaaah | August 29, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

yea finn ov is going to be so pissed hes going to smash his ipod again, oh my god and then what?! it was probably something kolzig said.....IDIOT?
and tarik, dont let these fools get you worked up, if you hadnt mentioned it in your blog, the same people would have seen it somewhere else and then asked why you hadnt witten about it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik. Unfortunately, this does give this rumor/story a little more credibility. For those that might not understand, there's a big difference between a "blog entry" and a "published news report".

Let's hope that the mitigating circumstances surrounding this incident help to justify Ovechkin's actions.

Either way, pretty funny comment about who's not in the running to be OV's next agent...

Posted by: Blueline | August 29, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous,
Kolzig is an idiot for ripping the only people who can give him a "w". He hasn't been able to win games on his own for a while now. He's not Roy, you know. And he is in his late 30s.

Posted by: Finn | August 29, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

A tempest in a teapot, people! This doesn't leave Russia except via the Blogs which, despite what some people think, does not carry the weight of MSM, yet(?) Also, you have OV denying that it happened and no report of charges being filed.

Posted by: A Hardwick | August 29, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Cause lazy penalties and throwing the puck go a long way towards helping Kolzig win games.

Somebody needed to say something, and Olie did. I don't begrudge him for that. Semin is highly skilled, but he needs to settle down a bit. If he does, he'll be amazing.

And why the heck are we even still talking about this? Is it really the only thing Finn could find to complain about?

Posted by: Murshawursha | August 29, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

He [allegedly] punched an agent. They're like one notch above fight promoters on the scale of good vs evil. No big deal.

Posted by: Prophet | August 29, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Add if OV would have busted his wrist? How about a small bone which would be re-injured every two years or so? OV, you are great, but in this case......wise up!

Posted by: Dezlboy | August 29, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

You got to love the antics of the Caps off the ice. We have got to be the toughest bunch of SOBs out there. :)

GMGM beats up another GM.
Ted takes it to a fan.
AO punks an agent.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | August 29, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

he needs something to complain about. I forgot he was in the locker room and saw how it all went down...you have no argument finn, kolzig is old and no patrick roy, no one is and no one here ever accused him of that, but he is still better than at least half of the goalies in the league and our best choice in net by far, barring an unnecessary trade for someone younger and slghtly better, maybe. plus hes the team leader, and you cant get fair value for that in a trade. How about you sit tight and wait for the season to start, quietly. maybe you will realize that kolzig was not the main problem last year, or even one at all, the D and injuries were.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I think OV should punch GMGM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

for what

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

YEAH ALEX!!!

Posted by: dc fury | August 29, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Finn vs. Finn is the funniest thing about this thread!

Posted by: slappy | August 29, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there Tarik, and thanks for apssing along the report.

Posted by: Hockey Amor | August 29, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

It's sad i'm even reading this, but, all of you guys who are bickering need to chill...and not sweat this stuff. I love the caps and AO. Now if he was feeding dogs to the slaughter i'd be really bummed. Punching and AGENT...Whatever....who give's a f****. At least the old rivalry is still there with the new generation! Pens-Caps games used to mean something.

Posted by: Jojo | August 30, 2007 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Am I really still on the Caps?

Posted by: Matt Bradley | August 30, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I'll say it, Pittsburgh is spelled with an "H"

Posted by: Tim | September 2, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

malkin looks like shrek on a diet

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse