Report: Roy Has Offer to Coach Avs

[We'll pretty much stick to offseason Caps news and throw in a few other links here and there, but the following seems like a blog-worthy bit of information:]

According to a Denver Post report, one of the NHL's best netminders of all time, Patrick Roy, could be back with the Colorado Avalanche as head coach. The Avs have not yet fired Tony Granato, but league sources say the organization has already offered Roy the position and is waiting for an answer:

Former Avs star Patrick Roy has been offered Granato's job and is mulling over the offer, according to multiple NHL sources who are close to Roy. The Hall of Fame goalie could not be reached for comment Sunday night, and the Avs had no comment about the possibility of Roy replacing Granato. Granato has not yet been told he's out of a job.
Roy, the co-owner, general manager and coach of major-junior hockey's Quebec Remparts, has made no secret of his desire to move into NHL coaching at some point. He met 10 days ago with Avalanche officials to discuss the possibility of rejoining the organization.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 18, 2009; 10:07 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Ted Says Take It Easy
Next: Final Webcam Update: The Outtakes

Comments

There must be other guys out there like Boudreau who have really paid their dues. I'd be shocked if someone whose coaching career is limited to a few years of MJ would be able to jump over all those other guys and get an NHL head coaching gig.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 18, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

If they dropped Nylanders salary, Fedorov's salary, and Theos salary they would have plenty of dough to retool the blueline. Likelihood? Slim.

They have to switch out parts up front, AND plug up the blueline, AND settle the goal. Thats a fair amount of work.

Who thinks that the Caps would have faired well in the 3rd round, with 4 of 6 blueliners ailing? Those are pretty crucial injuries.

Posted by: oo7 | May 18, 2009 10:24 AM

Posted by: oo7 | May 18, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't know enough about hockey but do goalies have a history of making good coaches? Or does it make no difference?

Posted by: NFeKPo | May 18, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Glen Hanlon was a goalie.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 18, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

With Roy's temper/temperment, that will make for some interesting theatre, that's for sure.

Posted by: Baildog | May 18, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to fire 83% of the posters on this blog.

To be fair, this team and management staff have 3 years to bring home a Cup. This team is built to win the division every year. 3 years, if no Cup, pink slips should be handed out.

Fehr hasn't developed into the player he can be because they are asking him to grind and forecheck and backcheck on the 3rd and 4th lines being centered by Steckel and Gordon. No offense to both of those guys but they aren't great at creating opportunities for wingers. Look at Bobby Ryans success in Anaheim. Bobby Ryan isn't grinder, so they didn't put him on a grinding line, they put him a scoring line. Voila! He is successful even at the tender age of 22.

Bobby Ryan OHL stats
249 games played
133 goals
192 assists

Eric Fehr WHL stats
279 games played
146 goals
131 assists

My point is Fehr needs to have offensive minded players around him to get the full effect of Fehr. Putting him on a line with Steckel and Gordon hampers Fehr.

To his credit, he works hard every shift and has been somewhat productive despite his centering situation.

Put him on Ovie/Backstrom next season and Fehr will have 25G and 25A and be a +15 or higher.

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'd be interested in trading for the Islanders #1 giving our #1, Schultz, Nylander and Theodore....possibly 4 starters for them....

Posted by: outrbnksm | May 18, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The Islanders have DiPietro signed for the next 34 years, so they are not in the market for a even worse goaltender. Nylander has little value and definitely wouldn't want to get stuck on Long Island.

Who would you take at #1 or #2 in the draft?

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: Would you go out on a limb and make Fehr #1 RW for next season? Or would you try and get a vet, someone Fehr can learn from, and then put him at #2? That would be my plan, with Clark and Brads as #3 and 4.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 18, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the Bobby Ryan comparison is a great one: for one, Ryan's much more physical, and seems a half-step quicker. Also, the OHL generally acknowledged to be a quicker league than the W (which still isn't saying a ton - the NHL is a way faster league even than 10 years ago). Fehr had a ton of opportunities on the top lines, and simply didn't produce enough to merit the minutes. From everything I saw, when the pace of play picks up - aka the playoffs - he's continually a half-step behind the play.

The league has changed, and you better be quick.

Posted by: govtimbo | May 18, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Eric Fehr doesn't need to learn anymore, he needs to produce. This whole mentoring thing is bunch of crap. These are talented kids that need to play and learn from playing. Trial by fire.

To answer your question about Fehr on the 1st line or not, right now he is the best RW on the team not named Semin. I do not see OV and Semin on the same line. So here is the dilemma.

Our C's next season are Backstrom/Gordon/Steckel and probably Fedorov or a FA.

We need to see how the post season pans out for FA's. Right now Fehr is the 1st line RW.

We need another C and possibly another RW. Also another D.

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Fehr played 4 games on the top line, he played 90% of the season on the 3rd line.

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Fehr production per minute played was 5th on the team. Ahead of Laich, Kozlov, Fedorov, Fleischmann...

OV/Backstrom/Semin/Green

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Not even a close comparison to Bobby Ryan.

Ryan was a #2 pick overall. Got great Speed and agility, also incredibly quick in changing direction when in the offensive zone making life really hard for D-man to check him. Incredible hands, have you seen his highlight real goals this year?

Here is a problem Fehr. He does not have adequate speed to be able to play on Ovie/Backstrom line. He is a shooter and has not to this date displayed great puck handling ability which is essential to play on the wing with Ovie.

You can compare stats from Juniors all you want but everyone knew when Ryan was drafted he was going to be a star. Fehr at this point has checking forward written all over him. Problem is he is not physical enough and doesn't go to the net hard enough. He doesn't have the skill set to play on a top line. Like I said his speed and stick handling are not his strong points.

He needs to realize he is not going to score 40 goals in the league and change his game or he will be out of NHL in 1-2 years.

Posted by: lightshow | May 18, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

So let me throw this at you, did Clark and Kozlov have the adequate speed to play on the 1st line?

Ovie made Clark a 30 goal scorer.

There isn't anybody on our team that has the speed to keep up with Ovie other than Semin and the 1st line has been just fine.

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

As a Pens fan who also enjoys watching the Caps (yes, there is such a person), I think any changes to this team should be very minimal. The Caps may already be the second-best team in the east, and they only need some minor tweaks, IMO.

On Offense. One additional gritty go-to-the-net forward. This isn't a luxury item ... it's a necessity.

On Defense. One top-4 D-man. The young D on this team will be better with another year of experience, and bringing in one veteran top-4 guy would round out a definitely improved corps.

Health. The team obviously had lots of injuries in the playoffs. Seems to me that a slightly healthier team, with a gritty/in-the-crease forward and another quality D-man (plus the extra year of experience the whole young team gained this year) are all that's needed to be prime contenders again next year.

Posted by: PensFan98 | May 18, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I played Junior with Patrick Roy and the idea of seeing him coach in the NHL makes me laugh.
First, this guy is not the sharpest knife in the kitchen. Second, Roy is completely impulsive as he has shown many times in his professional career and his personnal life.
If he gets a job, I would rather see him in our division so I can get entertain by his theatrics. Also, maybe we get to see his son, who is dropping hockey for a singing career, come and sing the Nathional Anthem?

Posted by: atybat | May 18, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

PensFan98: I agree with you 99%. The gritty forward we agree 100%, I call that person 1st line RW. It could even be Chris Clark from 2-3 years ago, if that person can get resurrected.

The place we disagree slightly is the Caps need a Top 2 D-man, not a Top 4 D-man. Other than Green, nobody in the organization is a Top 2 d-man right now. Alzner and Carlson are projected for that, so in two-three years the team should be in great shape. The Caps have several second pair guys, a few third pair guys and a slew of 7th defensemen. To me, that top d-man is priority #1 going into next season. The gritty RWer could actually wait until the deadline next March.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 18, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

By the way, the only reason our players can't keep up with Ovie is because Ovie gets the puck at the opponent's blue line then he speeds up. The other linemates, who have passed to him from our zone, have a zone and half to make up to catch up to him.
So, it doesn't matter if you would have Gartner playing with him, no one can follow Ovie's rush. As a matter of fact, when the guys do races for fun during practices, Ovie is not one of the top 4 speedsters.

Posted by: atybat | May 18, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov has incredible hands. When he gains the offensive, he can hold on to the puck long enough to open passing lanes and shooting lanes for Backs and Ovie. That's been Vic's game since he was in San Jose always had incredible hands and for someone 6'5 is a very smooth skater.

I have no reason to hate on Fehr, just giving you my opinion. I love his shot, and he is best suited for a team that has hard working center like Savard in Boston who can find Fehr for one time shots. But with that said he is not willing to pay the price to stay in front of the net and not physical enough. AKA LUCIC.

I know plenty of guys like FEHR who have similar skill to him that could play in this league but didn't play Juniors in Canada to get noticed. But for him to stick around giving his weaknesses he needs to get stronger and tougher and drive to the net.

By the way Clark of 2 years ago is exactly what Caps are missing right now. A guy that will pay the price in front of the net to score goals. That's how he scored many of his 30 goals that year playing with Zubbie and Ovie. But he is 2-3 years older now and is not the same player.

Posted by: lightshow | May 18, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I went to the Hershey game Saturday night and was really impressed with Carlson. He didn't do anything spectacular that stood out, but seemed very big and quick and always in good position on defense.

I also thought Sloan looked great, hitting everyone in sight on Defense...

What's the word on Mink and Giroux? Mink is a big guy and maybe he could be the gritty forward we need. I know their stats are great at Hershey, but don't know where they stand as far as potential Caps or will peak at AHL level. Any thoughts??

Posted by: adamkatzen | May 18, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Add Osala to that list of potential prospects with Mink, Giroux.

Posted by: adamkatzen | May 18, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

lightshow: I don't know why Clark can't conceivably "get it back." He's early 30s and hasn't really played that many NHL games (480). (In contrast, Ovie has played 325 already.) Guerin OTOH is like 38 and he turned it up just enough to make a difference. Of course, Guerin in his prime was better than Clark in his two good seasons. Clark MIGHT get it back, and Fehr MIGHT get it in the first place, so this is why I say the #1 gritty RW (you will neeed him in the playoffs, which the caps will make easily) could wait for the trade deadline. He could even be the kind of player we got I think for the 97-98 Stanley Cup run, Brian Bellows.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 18, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with PensFan98's analysis.

I also seem to remember this time last year a lot of people where talking about a need for the team to work on strength and conditioning. I think that still may be good advice. Some injuries are unavoidable, but some injuries are avoidable. And a bunch of our guys would benefit from being stronger on the puck and stronger checkers.

Posted by: Baildog | May 18, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Giroux and Mink are AHL'ers on this team. Maybe they make the big squad in another system.

I'm not saying Fehr is the solution, but he has not gotten the chance to see if he is or isn't the solution, a week on the 1st line isnt enough.

Fleischmann played almost the entire year on the second line and Fehr wasn't far off of his numbers. Fehr was far more productive per minute played.

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

JSchon,

Stats do not paint the whole picture many times. Over the long term they do but shorter term they don't.

Carrot Top #14 has the skills to play in this league and has shown flashes. His problem is his confidence and he is too easily knocked off the puck at this point. Stick handling and Skating can't be taught, but you can get stronger and bigger. With Experience I can see Flash scoring 20 goals consistently.

Fehr on the other hand just does not have the Skills to be a top forward in this league. I've seen him play quit a bit over the past 2 years and unless he changes his game he will be out of this league.

He needs to have a reality check like Steckel had. Remember Steckel was drafted in the 1st round by Kings. And was projected to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. But Kings figured out early in his career that he couldn't be a top point producer at this level, mainly not being able to adapt the speed of the NHL. Adapting to the speed at this level is the hardest thing for many promising Junior players. But Give Stecks a credit he changed his over couple of years in the minors and carved himself a nice niche. That is what Eric Fehr needs to do and stop thinking he is Ryan Getzlaff.

Posted by: lightshow | May 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Sigh...

So you have seen enough of Fehr to determine he isnt capable of playing top 6 forward hockey.

I haven't.

There is a huge difference in having Fedorov/Semin as line mates than Steckel/Laich.

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a huge CT14 (Carrot Top 14 -- excellent name)fan but he certainly came on early this year.. I can't help but wonder what impact that pneumonia had on his long-term numbers -- he was on fire prior to that. He did seem more physical this year and had some excellent runs of forechecking (I seem to recall one goal he made pretty much with a forecheck/steal/deek/goal). The question is was the fall-off in production going to happen regardless or did the illness sap him of his strength, endurance and confidence?

Posted by: Dave_in_Alexandria | May 18, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Pivots are the key here.

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm with JSchon: Mink and Giroux are career AHLers. Love them both - don't get me wrong; my favorite Bear is Graham Mink, and I've been saying I want a "Mink sweater" since before Christmas. But I don't think either of them make the big club next year.

Giroux is almost 28, and Mink is almost 30.

Mink has played 7 games at the NHL level, and has no goals, no assists with the Caps. He's been in the AHL since 2001-2002.

Giroux has played 22 games at the NHL level, and has 3 goals and 3 assists - and 12 PIMs. At the AHL level, he's a beast, but he just doesn't finish his chances at the NHL level. He's also been in the AHL since the 2001-2002 season.

While I'd love to see both of them in a Caps sweater, I don't think either of them will make the big club next year.

Posted by: irockthered | May 18, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree with most of what everyone is saying here in that the Caps need to add the physical, stand-in-the-crease and crash-the-net winger, as well as a top 2, physical clear-the-crease defensman.

However, I wonder if they should wait until after next season to make any big moves.

One reason to wait is because of the Nylander and Theodore contracts. While they could both conceivably be traded, I think that possibility is highly unlikely. The Caps could possibly buy them out. I could see the Caps buying out Theodore and then resigning Brent Johnson if Brent is willing to take a one year deal, or they keep Theo and Brent goes. Either way it'll cost about the same against the Cap. With Nylander, I don't think the Caps will buy him out because if they don't resign Fedorov or Kozlov (and they probably shouldn't unless it's at reduced salaries), the Caps will need a second line center. Plus, buying him out will create a cap hit for the next four seasons, and I'm not sure if they want to deal with that when in all likelihood the NHL salary cap will be decreasing.

Another reason to wait is to free up some space on the NHL roster to give some of the Hershey guys a shot, and at the same time, the Caps can use the season to evaluate guys like Chris Borque, Osala, etc. while also continuing to evaluate Flash and Fehr.

Another reason to wait is that if the Caps try and sign impact players in free agency, it could very well hamper their ability to retain key players down the road with both Backstrom and Semin due for extensions.

After next season, hopefully the Caps have Backstrom and possibly Semin locked up while not having the high dollar contracts of Theodore and Nylander to contend with, and hopefully they'll know a lot more about the young players they already have in the system.

Posted by: cainoo7x | May 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@Dave_in_Alexandria - I think the pneumonia was definitely a factor, and I'm more than willing to give CT14, AKA Fleischmann another chance, if only because pneumonia completely sucks, and he was doing so well before he got sick. It can take weeks, if not months, to recover from that illness and regain strength - and Flash had visibly lost weight when he came back - probably 20-30 pounds' worth.

Besides - I like Flash. I want to see more of him next season. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | May 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Jschon,

I am just giving my opinion. Wheather its right or wrong we wont know for few years. Like I said, I have no personal reason to hate on Fehr. For him to succeed in this league he needs to change his game. He lacks the puck handling ability to be able to win the battles one on one and create scoring chances for himself. He also has a problem with first 2 to 3 strides. When he gets the puck many times he is not able to separate himself the first few strides. Once he gets to top end speed he is ok, but we are not playing on Europen Rinks here.

Posted by: lightshow | May 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree re: Flash vs. Pneumonia

Having had it myself I can definitely testify that your energy levels don't come back very quickly, even after you have kicked it. It can take a while to fully recover from something like that, and it's not really surprising that he struggled after.

Anyone else think we should house the Caps in germ-free bio-dome and wrap them in bubble wrap for games? A team of bubble boys? Thinking of starting a petition to enforce this so we can enter the Playoffs next year with an actually healthy team...

Posted by: mrszilla | May 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I've had some time to sit back and look over this season and I'm pretty happy with the progress of this team. I bundled the stack of tickets for the games I attended (39 including playoff games) and put them in the time capsule. This team has a few things it needs to address and I am confident that BB will provide his input and GMGM will address them with the full support of Ted and his group.

Not really all that many tweaks required folks. Although I hate to admit it Pittsburgh will at the very least advance to the Stanley Cup Finals again, and have a great chance of winning it. I didn't want to see Crosby lift one before Ovechkin, but he probably will. The fact is, the boys didn't blow it, they took a great team to a game 7.

I tend to think the critcism would be a little less harsh if the boys would have laid down in game 6 and lost in overtime, which is a shame. They didn't though, they brought it to a game 7 and had a good run of bad luck. Let's face it Caps fans, poor Varly let in 3 goals that were pretty routine. I don't have anything but kudos for him though, he did pretty good in his first NHL playoff run. Those goals were just way too much to recover from. The injuries began to hurt just a little more, and the fatigue made the legs just a little heavier. Our boys definitely finished with class though. They did not take any runs at the Pens because the Pens had earned the right to move on. I would have expected nothing less from the Pens.

Anyone who still believes they cared more about the playoff run and Stanley Cup did not take the time to watch the interviews after the game Wednesday and from KCI on Friday. Everyone from GMGM were visibly upset and a couple of the players looked like it was all they could do to keep their emotions in check during the interview.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 18, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Lightshow, you haven't convinced me, you can keep trying. Fehr played practically zero PP minutes and played with inferior talent and was as productive Laich/Flash/Kozlov.

I don't know what you were watching but I saw Fehr win plenty of battles in the corners just fine.

I guess it doesn't matter what we think anyway.

Posted by: JSchon | May 18, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I went to the Bears game the other night and I have to say...we have a great (and cheap) pool of players to call up to the show. I agree totally that we need to beef up the blue line, well at least one solid veteran, and then fill in the holes with some Bears. The goalie situation I am just not sure...Varly for sure. To think of what kind of goalie he will be after a few years in the NHL, well it gives me goose bumps! But, I am torn between Keeping Johnson as a back-up or going completely rookie and bringing up Neuvirth. There are definitely a few players that we could lose in the offseason... my first choices being Theo and Nylander (I know GMGM said no, but can't we as fans take up a collection to buy him out?). I can't wait to see what GMGM does this summer, but we definitely need a few changes to make it further next year!

Posted by: NatyBG | May 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Theodore is not going anywhere unless some team comes begging for him. I think Johnson is the odd man out. And I don't think any of us wants to go with Varly and Neuvirth at this point. Better to let Varly get plenty of playing time here and Neuvirth run the show in Hershey. Then, the following year, we have a 1-1a tandem at a really low cost--much less than what Theodore is getting alone.

Posted by: CindyJennings | May 18, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: atybat
---------------------------------------

Pure curiousity: Who are the fastest skaters on the team? perhaps top ten list

Posted by: Redwolf1 | May 18, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

For all of those that Fehr was not helping this team are missing what was going on against the Pens. After Fehr got hurt the fourth line fell apart. The Caps for all intents and purposes were playing with 3 lines and that killed them by game 7 and they ran out of gas. Look at the minutes played by Beagle and Clark in the last 3 games, 3-5 minutes a game. Gordo was killing penalties, so that was part of it, but not all, BB, cut the bench to 3 lines. Before he was hurt that the 4th was playing roughly 10-12 minutes a game. He was a big help in getting productive time out of that line.

Posted by: RichC3 | May 18, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

While Fehr did not play well in the playoffs this year, from a statistical point of view, I did notice that the Caps barely gave their 4th liners any playing time once he went out with his injury.

Fehr did really well in February -- several goals. I haven't done an analysis on who was centering his line during his best period but recall that Flash was on his line most of the time. (At one point, they were with Backstrom and then with Feds and even with Nylander and Steckel.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Fehr had a few random games on the first line that weren't his best.

I'd consider sticking him on a line with Semin and see what happens. In other words, putting him on a scoring line besides OV's line.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 18, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

It was a shame that Flash had pneumonia this year. I'm sure it hurt his game and he even admitted as much. Pneumonia is a significant disease, we must admit. Some of the posters believe that he lost 20 pounds as a result.

I originally figured that he'd make it to 25 goals but didn't quite get there. (Yes, we need to get Flash and Fehr going, score wise, for secondary scoring. Enjoyed them with Backstrom. Of course, the problem is, Backstrom is great with a lot of our line combinations.) Remedy -- clone Backstrom.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 18, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse