Report: Theodore's Infant Son Dies

According to a report on Montreal's French-language Corussports.com, the infant son of Capitals goaltender Jose Theodore died last week. Text below translated by Google:

The second child of Jose Theodore and Stéphanie Cloutier lost his life at the age of two months last Friday. The cause of death of the son is unknown.
The Cloutier-Théodore couple has a daughter, Romy, born 22 March 2006, which has experienced respiratory problems at birth but is doing well now.
A second pregnancy ended in a miscarriage in 2007.

Tarik is working to confirm the report and will have an update soon.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  August 20, 2009; 11:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Boudreau on WPL (Updated)
Next: Caps Confirm Theodore's Tragic Loss

Comments

Awful news. Never want to see something like this happen.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 20, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I hope it isn't true. I have tried a bunch of different search strings and cannot find any other source reporting. They might have exclusive rights. If it is true, it is going to be hard as heck for him to focus.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 20, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Just terrible news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Cloutier-Théodore family.

Posted by: huskerskins1 | August 20, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I hope this isn't true. How devastating if it unfortunately is. Deepest sympathy to the family.

Posted by: Tracy2117 | August 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I smiled this morning when I read that the Pothiers had a baby girl, then half an hour later I read this about Jose's son passing. So sad. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Posted by: tess2201 | August 20, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow. So sad. :( Hopefully this is just a mistake. I hadn't even heard she was pregnant again. Thoughts and prayers if it turns out to be true.

Posted by: GoCaps08 | August 20, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Fanohock - lets not worry about his focus at this time...

Posted by: NJNJ | August 20, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, really feel bad for Theo, no matter what you think of him as a hockey player when a child is lost it is just devastating. Something like this really puts into perspective what is really important in life, and arguing over hockey is very low on the list.

Posted by: PhilR | August 20, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

NJNJ: I am not saying for the welfare of the Caps, for him. The team will figure things out. As far as Jose, if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be able to walk straight. As a parent losing a child is your worst fear.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 20, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

That's a pretty bad rumor to be posting without confirmation.

Posted by: asdfasdfasdf123 | August 20, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

If this is true that is horrible, I feel bad for Theo and hope everything works out for him and his family. On that note I agree with ASFD, I'd like to have more confirmation on something like this.

Posted by: superpaqman | August 20, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Pray for his family.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 20, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Some can recover from events like this and some cannot. May God bless him and his family and may his agony be overcome by love.

Posted by: WhyGo | August 20, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Posted by: holliden | August 20, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

As a parent losing a child is your worst fear.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 20, 2009 12:44 PM

Absolutely. It's actually more than your worst fear. It's such an awful thing that you refuse to let it cross your mind. I can't imagine how he must feel but hope he has a good family to lean on.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 20, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Sadly the news was confirmed by Stephanie's Sister Véronique cloutier this morning. There is alot of articles about this here in quebec today.

in french only

Sad

Posted by: marjoriehamel | August 20, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Heartbreaking news and my best wishes and prayers go out to Jose Theodore and his family.

Posted by: A-Contrario | August 20, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

No matter how good of a family I had to lean on I don't think I would be able to recover losing one of mine. Can't even think about it....sitting here choked up at work, I hope this is just a very baaaaaad rumor.

Posted by: PhilR | August 20, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to the Theodore-Cloutier family.

Posted by: pstenigma | August 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately Steve Hindle is reporting it on his Caps blog also. Sad sad news for today.

Posted by: CapCenterholdover | August 20, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

It is at your darkest moment that your mettle is tested. Hang in there Theo- You have a cast of thousands supporting you and Stephanie. Our thoughts and prayers to you both.

Posted by: mobileclem | August 20, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

CapCenterholdover, not saying this sad story isn't true, but Hindle is just reporting the rumor. There is no independent confirmation on his blog. Nate Ewell tweeted that he was still working to get confirmation an hour ago.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | August 20, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

freakinandpeakin: Stephanie's sister Véronique a really famous tv and radio personality just confirmed it live on the air... of 105,7 FM montreal.

Posted by: marjoriehamel | August 20, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marjoriehamel | August 20, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to them and their families. At the end of the day, his most important job is as a father and not the goalie we want him to always be. God bless his little boy.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 20, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Good lord--how devastating. My heart goes out to him and his family. Puts everything in perspective, doesn't it. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | August 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

marjoriehamel, I translated that link to english for all us non French speaking folks here:

José Theodore and her spouse Stephanie Cloutier are in mourning.

The second child of the couple died of two months on Friday at the age.

The reason of the decease of the son remains at this instant unknown.

The Network of sports sends its most sincere condolences to the couple to overcome this hard test

This the most definite post so far but still hoping it is just a very bad falsehood.

Posted by: PhilR | August 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The translation tool I used wasn't perfect as it came out as "her"spouse and such....but I think everyone can get the gist of it.

Posted by: PhilR | August 20, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

PhilR: all i can say is that i eard it on the radio when she made the announcement. I'm sure that they will play the radio segment on tv at some point soon. Dont get me wrong, i wish this wasnt true, it's terribly tragic, the theodore-cloutier family already have enough drama in their lives already.

Posted by: marjoriehamel | August 20, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

What awful news. Condolences to Jose and his entire family.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I echo everyone's sentiments. What awful news. I just sent my youngest daughter off to college this week and I can't imagine what I would have been like if this would have happened to us early in her life. My condolences to the Theodore-Coultier family.

Posted by: nicefellow31 | August 20, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Echo the sentiments expressed here. Thoughts and prayers for the family -- can't imagine the anguish for Jose and Stephanie, and the difficulty for their daughter, in this crisis.

Posted by: miseaujeu | August 20, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse