Sale of Wizards to Ted Leonsis approved

The NBA Board of Governors has unanimously approved the sale of the Washington Wizards and Verizon Center to Caps owner Ted Leonsis's Lincoln Holdings.

"We have long admired what Ted has done with the Washington Capitals in terms of sales, marketing and outreach in the community, and we look forward to him bringing those skills to bear for the Wizards," NBA Commissioner David Stern said in a statement.

More on Wizards Insider.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 8, 2010; 12:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Agent: No talks with Caps about Theodore
Next: Fehr, Caps talking extension

Comments

Congrats to Ted and the bright future that building will have.

Posted by: flee001 | June 8, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I just hope that Ted doesn't lose focus on us and move his efforts and attention to the Wiz. While I will be eternally greatful to Abe for bringing hockey to DC it is no secret that he spent more money on the Wiz, concentrated all his efforts on the Wiz and cared more about them.

Now I'm very pro Ted and doubt that it would happen but I'm guessing there is more money in basketball than hockey. Ted is a business man 1st. So if basketball is more profitable than hockey. I just hope it doesn't sway him at all. This is a great hockey town and he has brought people out and made this a hockey town.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | June 8, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

there is a hard salary cap in hockey unlike basketball so Leonsis or anyone else can only spend up to whatever the limit is. it's no secret that Ted was a basketball guy first but it really doesn't matter where his heart is as long as he has competent people working for him and lets them do their job.

Posted by: joek443 | June 8, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone been to the Caps Convention? Is it pretty worth while? I'm coming in from well out of town.

Posted by: cappies | June 8, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Joek- I think that's a fair statement. Abe tried to have his basketball people run a hockey team. Gosh I can't remember that woman's name, I want to say Susan O'Malley, what a joke.

As long as Ted keep the staff he has in place I think we'll be fine.

Most people may not understand why I said what I said but if you lived through the Pollin era you would understand.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | June 8, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@cappies -

The convention was a lot of fun, especially if you have kids who are the right age to appreciate it (and who are patient enough to wait in some lines). Mine were 12 and 14 last year and had a blast. Brendan Morrison made us long-term fans of his by hanging out on the floor, signing autographs and helping my kids with their wrist shots in the shooting game (good luck wherever you land next year, BMo!). Ovie spent some time walking around the floor as well, but was completely mobbed, of course. Lots of the sessions were informative and interesting for serious fans. Autographs from Bondra, Langway, Maruk, and other alumni were a nice bonus.

Some things were not so great, like the painfully loud music at times and the typical convention center food quality and prices, but overall, it was a very positive event for us.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | June 8, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I agree with previous poster. Caps Convention was fun for my kids too. Brendan Morrison also was very nice to my kids, as was Jose Theodore. Yes the music and noise in the main hall was way too loud, but generally it was a fun experience.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | June 8, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your feedback. I'd count my wife as being a kid so should be fun haha

Posted by: cappies | June 8, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Susan O'Malley was the president of both the Bullets and Caps... I'm pretty sure she was the daughter of Abe's close friend.

all I remember about her is that the Bullets used to give away a ton of tickets and/or sell them real cheap just to increase the sellout figures which were totally bogus. she was just a marketing person, had no idea how to run either teams.

Posted by: joek443 | June 8, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse