Posted at 8:12 AM ET, 02/ 8/2011

San Jose Sharks visit National Archives

By Katie Carrera

Ever wonder what types of team-building activities an NHL club can do on the road in an unfamiliar city? Well in Washington this season, the Tampa Bay Lightning played street hockey in front of the White House and on Monday the San Jose Sharks opted for a more educational itinerary.

Post Metro columnist John Kelly tagged along with the Sharks as they visited the National Archives during their off day in Washington. An excerpt is below:

"This is a great city," the team's coach, Todd McLellan, told me. "It's not someplace we visit every year."
And because the Sharks were gifted with a rare free day in Washington before Tuesday's game against the Caps, they decided on a behind-the-scenes tour of the National Archives. About half the players, along with some coaches and trainers, perused the Charters of Freedom in the Rotunda and then were ushered into a private room where archivists had placed items they thought might interest them.
In other words: as much stuff about Canada as they could find.

You can check out Kelly's full column here.

In other assorted musings from Monday, Dan Steinberg asked the Capitals to review David Steckel's fight with Pittsburgh's Tim Wallace from Sunday's game.

The Sports Business Journal's breakdown of mid-season television ratings for the NHL and NBA are on the D.C. Sports Bog as well. The Caps have the eighth-highest local television ratings of all U.S. NHL teams.

By Katie Carrera  | February 8, 2011; 8:12 AM ET
Categories:  San Jose Sharks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green will likely miss Tuesday's game with concussion symptoms
Next: Alexander Semin to return against Sharks, Mike Green's status uncertain

Comments

Who we seeing tonight in Green's spot, #3 or #89??

Posted by: MattBradley10 | February 8, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Sharks got drunk afterwards......

Posted by: SA-Town | February 8, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Why is this considered "Caps Inside News"?

Great, they were bored and went sight seeing.

Who cares?

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 8, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

ROFL, The Lumberjack's quote about Steckel's fight is priceless.

@MattBradley10

Please for the love of god NO ESSKAY. I'd rather see 44. But if I was coach and had to choose between 3 and 89, this is how it would go down:

Me: Here's your jersey Poti, try not to f#$k up too much.
Poti: (as he is duct taping his groin) Thanks. Ill do my best.
Me: (shooting a squirt gun filled with a water & vinegar solution) Back...back...back to the stands with you Esskay. I told you NEVER AGAIN. By the way, you have some nacho cheese on your chin.
Sloan: Aww shucks. Ooooh the pretzels just came out...gotta get them while their fresh. Hey DJ, want to grab some drinks and meet me in the press box?
DJK:I like turtles.

-end scene

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 8, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

@Saoti, Very funny, but I'd prefer Sloan on the ice for two reasons: (1) the Caps will have a much better chance of keeping 6 D on the ice for the whole game, and (2) Sloan gives a better effort, more heart. I think the Caps should reward players who give as much as they can as oppossed to players who take shifts off. Yes, Poti is a better athlete with a better hockey IQ, better skater, better passer, better stick checker, but he is another softie, and an injury prone one, too.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 8, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

their = they're

Figured I'd turn myself in before the grammar police catch me.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 8, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS2

He may have heart and desire to play, but man is he terrible. He just makes way too many mistakes and gets beat pretty easily. I'll stick with my predictable, better passing (etc), more hockey sound, but soft Poti.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 8, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

From the USA Today's hockey columnist:

"Desperate is also the word I would use in Columbus. Everyone is running out of patience with the Blue Jackets. They need to send a positive message to fans by making a move."

What would the Caps have to trade for Umberger? The Caps have traded quite a bit with Columbus, so this is interesting. Personally, Schultz, Steckel (hometown guys), Fehr, prospect, or Semin for Umberger are all interesting options. I would be hesitant with Semin (then the Caps would need a wing for Umberger. Steckel and pick/prospect is also an option, as long as the prospect is not a Russian center/wing or Eakin.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 8, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps

What is your problem? Anything even peripherally about hockey in the paper gets linked in the blog and has for a long time. Kind of a cool article anyway, so just get over it.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | February 8, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

@ saoti, I see your points as valid, but I lean to Sloan for impact and heart right now. The Caps are getting more edgy and tough, so I want that to continue. Poti, if he had an edge (as he gets in the playoffs sometimes) would be my pick hands-down before Sloan for the long-term, but for a game or two and Poti is still recovering, go for a guy you might be able to trade and won't put Poti back on the shelf for a couple more months.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 8, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@ JIMALLCAPS2 & SAOTI

How about we just go with 5 D :) then we are all happy, to glass groin man and not hot dog boy. Lets face it Carlson and Alzner are more than capable of skating extra minutes and I wouldn't have a problem with giving Johnny some more ice time either.

Drop The Puck !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | February 8, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

JIM: Given how trades work, Eakin for Umberger is pretty fair. Eakin is still only a prospect. Do you think he'll be better than Johansson? If so, send them Johansson for Umberger. Johansson is also sill a prospect. Schultz for Umberger? Not enough. Include Fehr? I don't know, we're short on RW in the near future (next year). Would a #1 pick and Perreault get Umberger? Why would they do that? They aren't rebuilding are they?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 8, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

So I am guessing that given the lack of comments or action by Colin and Gray that they have no problem or see no problem with Cooke.

I wish there were still players around like Bob Probert, be the last time Cooke would try any of his stuff.

Old Time Hockey and for all you newbies thats not just a clothing label

Posted by: bqts | February 8, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Eakin isn't enough to get Umberger. Eakin is considered to be a player in the Max Talbot mode, a nice player to have but not a 1st line type prospect.

Also, just because Columbus may make moves does not mean they will trade Umberger. Has anyone read anything anywhere indicating that Columbus is even considering trading Umberger?

The only way they deal him by the trade deadline is if they get a ridiculous offer(Eakin is NOT a ridiculous offer). Otherwise they will retain him.

They may look at possible trades in the offseason to change the team around, but that will occur in the offseason when there is much more flexibiity for teams to change their rosters.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 8, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Semin is back tonight. Beagle has been sent back to Hershey.

@tominsocal

As nice as Umberger would be, Howson(I think thats Columbus GM) pretty much said that Umberger wouldnt be going anywhere. He is their locker room leader. So you'd really have to blow them away with an offer for them to even contemplate it. Columbus does have Brassard who could be a decent fit here, I think he has 3 more years on his contract though.

Posted by: ThePat | February 8, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

And who thought that the Bluejackets would have traded away Feds for, umm, couldn't have been much, cause I can't remember what the Caps gave up. Yes, Feds then and Umberger now are different. And yes, the Bluejackets are in perpetual rebuild. They just stink and may be a candidate for relocation in the next few years with bad attendance and not much fan buy-in. But yes Tom, Umberger would be an expensive trade. I doubt it happens, but a fan can dream, ne pas?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 8, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Atlanta might be making a trade very soon. Rumor is them and Edmonton. Atlanta would be sending Bogosian to Edmonton and my guess is Penner or Hemsky would be going to Atlanta. Again, just a rumor but scouts have been at both teams games and they are talking.

Posted by: ThePat | February 8, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

that's a better story than hearing about our professional athletes bringing guns to locker rooms or punching drivers or beating their wives.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 8, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see Talbot take a two handed baseball swing at Erskine's head on sunday?

Posted by: bbt12341 | February 8, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Arnott seems more likely, but how effective will he be at this point in his career? Will he be another 3rd trying to play 2nd C for the Caps, like Morrison and Belanger? He used to be a very good 2C, but at 10/13/23 -12 this year, I just don't know if this 36 year old is a -great- improvement over MJ/MP in terms of what it may cost

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 8, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

did anyone else see Talbot take a baseball swing at Erskine's head?

Posted by: bbt12341 | February 8, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

tominsocal1: "Send them Johansson for Umberger?" NO, MJ is playing great & has all the makings of a young Backstrom. Remember Umberger has a yr left on his contract so, he will be a little more expensive. With Mason (22 yrs old), the Jackets are one of the few team that will not try to acquire 1 of our goalies. IMO this would take Eakin or 1 of the Russian prospects & a pick of some sort.
Plus, the Peguins now are in real need of a center. This may drive up the price.

The Caps should put Sloan in today. Poti is still hurt (shocking). If they call up Fahey, they should waive Sloan at the same time. If he doesn't play he is a wasted roster spot. Most teams (the Caps included) don't have a very good 8th d-man.

Posted by: chriscaps | February 8, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sporttraveler | February 8, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@saoti
I didn't see the quote, what did Big E say about Steckel's fight?

@bbt12341
I didn't see Talbot take a baseball swing at Erskine, and if he got anywhere near #4's head I'm sure Johnny would've dropped him. Not sure what you saw, but rest assured Erskine wouldn't let Talbot take liberties w/him

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 8, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Insightful quote from Duncan Keith concerning the Blackhawks recent woes. Seems to me that the same applies to the Caps. Hey BB, you taking notes??

"F--- the power play. ... Nobody goes to the net to score goals. That's why we don't win."

From ESPN Chicago:

"The other team had power plays too," he said. "They didn't score. They got it 5-on-5. If we start relying on 5-on-5, we might win, instead of relying on the power play and blaming the power play or the penalty kill. We start doing better 5-on-5, we'll win hockey games then."

Posted by: doughless | February 8, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@sporttraveler,

I would think Guy Boucher would get consideration for the Jack Adams before BB. The Caps have underachieved most of the year, had a losing streak that was cronicled on tv, and the PP has been in the toilet all year. Burnside knows more than me, so I could be way off.

Another name who may get mentioned is Laviolette. From where they were last year during the regular season to having the second best record in the league this year.

Posted by: Fletch22 | February 8, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

can somebody explain why Beagle gets sent to hershey when the three guys on our 4th line are all awful? I get that they play hard but B. Gordon, Steckel, and Bradley all add absolutely nothing to the game and all they do is clear the puck and change lines.
Why do we give guys like that contract extensions when there are numerous players in Hershey that are more skilled (Like Beagle, A. Gordon, Eakin, etc.) that could fill one or two of those slots and generate more offense?
I don't mind keeping Steckel to use sometimes because he is great at faceoffs (even though that is a really overvalued statistic), and Bradley is a tough guy, but B. Gordon is just all-around awful. Why not put Beagle on the 4th line in his spot.

Posted by: landocalrissian | February 8, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwash4472 | February 8, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps "should I rest assured." What does that even mean? I watch enough hockey to know what Erskine is capable of, and I also watch enough hockey to know what a two handed baseball swing to the head can do. I am sure it was just meant to serve as a warning shot from Talbot but Erskine was skating the opposite direction and probably could not see it. Talbot received a two minute penalty for slashing even though his stick did not come within a foot of Erskine's head. My concern is not whether or not Erskine can defend himself from Talbot, my concern is instead why this hasn't got any mention.

Posted by: bbt12341 | February 8, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Semin for Umburger?? Has the NHL game gone so troglodyte these last few years that this can even be seen as possible? Semin's got twice the skills and hockey IQ that Umburger will ever have. And it's not like the latter is Ryan Kessler, either. Semin for Kessler would be a more fair trade because, even if Kessler again with never have the instinctive understanding of field dynamics that Semin has, at least he's athletic and, being North American, will actually draw penalities when someone crosschecks him in the head, unlike Semin...I don't think Vancouver makes the deal, but given the bias-advantage, it becomes reasonable. Kessler has not worked as hard on his game and has no where near the hard-won skills Semin has, but in this league that doesn't signify...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 8, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

sorry, Lando

Beagle has been a non-event for several games now. see ya!! MP85 should be next.

Posted by: doughless | February 8, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@bb12341

I did see the Pens taking quite a few whacks at the Caps in general: no calls. Also, there were several times when Caps players did not come out to challenge the point shooter but blocked the lane. It looked like the Pens players shot the puck - above the ice - at these Caps when that happened...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 8, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Lando, those guys you mention have one way contracts and I believe can't go down unless it is for conditioning.

I also agree with doughless, Beagle has shown me nothing and was only up because of Semin's injury.

Torn on MP85 though Doughless. He seems to be playing better the past few games.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 8, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@LAndo...I agree with doughless, Beagle has done much lately, although when he has shown signs that he sould be a good 4th liner in the future here...if you saw the Pens game Sunday, 12-39-10 had several great shifts where they pinned the Pens in their own zone with a great cyle and tenacious forecheck, it would be nice if they could convert off of their cycle, but they controlled the play in the Pens O-zone for significant amounts of time, doing their job

Posted by: boomer44 | February 8, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse